Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3603390 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #34980 on: May 25, 2020, 05:35:57 PM »
Played Castlevania IV for the first time in years. Still holding on to my opinion that it’s by far the weakest Classicvania.
You can beat almost every boss by just spamming the whip. it‘s too easy in general with a cheap difficulty spike near the end. I am not digging the music and I think it looks bad aesthetically.
Whenever I read about the music of Super Castlevania I always go back to check on this king who started doing covers of the soundtrack in 2009 and is still going at it with almost no views, dropping about 1 - 3 new random covers a year:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

🤴

Rman

« Reply #34981 on: May 25, 2020, 05:56:53 PM »
I thought some of the past ones had a boss rush mode? Maybe DMC3?
Well I'm thinking of a dedicated mode.

Svejk

« Reply #34982 on: May 25, 2020, 06:45:13 PM »
Downloaded FFXIV over the weekend since they were offering the starter bundles for free for a limited time...  After dicking around for 20 minutes with their overly complicated SE login only to get my account frozen...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #34983 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
dmc3 had a boss rush at the end of the game

DMC4 too with that board game with repeat bosses.

argh i blocked that part out. fighting the bosses three times what the fuck were they thinking

DMC1 made it work, so did 3 with it's main boss (vergil). The problem with DMC4 was how clearly rushed with it and those bosses not worth repeating in the first place, with the only good one (credo) being the only one they don't repeat somehow. Then again the game had an insanely low budget for what it was and had bad executive decisions lead to it being rushed, there's zillions of concept art out there for shit they planned but didn't have enough money or time for.

Much like many odd capcom decisions of the day, it can be traced back to Inafune  :lol

I dunno, I really liked DMC4. Obviously not as good as 3, but I thought the combat was great and didn't even mind the boss repeats or playing through the game a second time with OP Dante.

I'm a few missions past getting Dante in 5 and I'm liking it about the same as 4, which is good since I liked 4, but I'm not finding it any better than 4 other than less repetition. I liked Nero's combat more in 4 from my memory though I may need to replay 4 to refresh that, V's combat feels like Kingdom Hearts and is a bit boring and just want to blow through the stages (and getting like SS ranks on first try with him cause too simple gameplay) and the levels are kinda ugly and confusing and how many times do I do this tower. A lot of the bosses feel pretty uninspired compared to 3 and more like 4 bosses. Goliath at the start was great, but lazer lady was zzz, V's bosses are a bit zzz, giant walking fortress w/nero was kinda zzz, and Urizen right before getting Dante w/Nero felt like a dumb boss fight that felt built more for V's moveset than Nero's as it's very ranged while you're hitting the stupid crystal (you can be up close but without being able to see shit it's annoying). Also the story is just as bad/dumb/too many cutscenes as 4 and load times on PS4 suck.

Like I'm only midway, and enjoying it a good deal, but I thought people were saying 5 was a big return to quality so I was expecting something closer to 3 SE and it feels more like DMC4 level to me, which is fine, but idk if I'm gonna put dozens of hours into it after the first run like DMC3 or Bayonetta or NG. Feels like it might be a one run & bloody palace a bunch and then done kinda game. Not really interested in replaying these levels (which are kinda long and not that interesting) again, so bloody palace sounds a lot more fun for post-game at this point.

Bebpo

« Reply #34984 on: May 25, 2020, 09:25:37 PM »
Yeah, the motorcycle weapon’s fun. Just did the second Urizen fight. Super devil trigger seems really gimmicky though I liked the Trish boss fight. The blood fountain stage felt closer to an old school DMC stage.

Beezy

« Reply #34985 on: May 25, 2020, 10:38:30 PM »
Started Ace Combat 7 on normal, my first AC game. Seems cool, but I'm still getting the hang of the controls. It takes me multiple passes to kill some enemies. Only did the first two missions so far.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34986 on: May 25, 2020, 11:15:28 PM »
Decided to final finish Final Fantasy 3 it's been the only numbered Final Fantasy that I haven't finished. Good god. I forgot what a slog old time JRPGs are, especially at the end. I had tried before but ended up stopping before the endgame because I would have had to level up like 20 levels to have a chance. This time I just put my head down and did it. There's a massive cliff between the rest of the game and the end game. I felt the rest of the game felt like it all progressed pretty well. But the end game was just such a huge jump ahead and there were no save points so if you go through an hour long dungeon and died to the boss, you had to do it all again. Thank god that's no longer the case. Certainly nowhere near as bad as II or I or as boring as XII, but this might be in the "finished it once and never touched it again" group of final fantasies for me.

Next up IV on handheld and VIIR
que

Bebpo

« Reply #34987 on: May 25, 2020, 11:50:41 PM »
Which version are you going to play for IV? Classic 2d or Shin Megami Tensei FFIV 3D version?

Decided to final finish Final Fantasy 3 it's been the only numbered Final Fantasy that I haven't finished. Good god. I forgot what a slog old time JRPGs are, especially at the end. I had tried before but ended up stopping before the endgame because I would have had to level up like 20 levels to have a chance. This time I just put my head down and did it. There's a massive cliff between the rest of the game and the end game. I felt the rest of the game felt like it all progressed pretty well. But the end game was just such a huge jump ahead and there were no save points so if you go through an hour long dungeon and died to the boss, you had to do it all again. Thank god that's no longer the case. Certainly nowhere near as bad as II or I or as boring as XII, but this might be in the "finished it once and never touched it again" group of final fantasies for me.

I think that's just FF3 tbh.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34988 on: May 26, 2020, 12:07:47 AM »
I loved FF3 but yeah, that final dungeon is a total slog. A save point after Zande and before the Dark World was planned but unfortunately removed... that would've made the final dungeon a lot easier.
I enjoy the exploration, the scenario, and all the secrets under every corner. There's a lot of optional stuff in the game too, was quite impressive for its vintage. But yeah, with the exception of DQ4, 8-bit RPGs are grindy as all hell.
^_^

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #34989 on: May 26, 2020, 12:12:46 AM »
So with the normal Switch sold out, I've been looking at other consoles to buy. I recently got a Genesis mini and a Turbo Grafx 16 mini. I love the Genesis mini so far, haven't held anything close to a Genesis controller since I was around 4 years old.

Really excited to play around with the Turbo Grafx 16 library.  :)
OH!

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34990 on: May 26, 2020, 12:16:14 AM »
Which version are you going to play for IV? Classic 2d or Shin Megami Tensei FFIV 3D version?

I think that's just FF3 tbh.
Gonna try the SMT FFIV 3D version. I don't think I'll play "the after" or whatever the hell that is. I've finished the 2D version several times let's see how 3D goes.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #34991 on: May 26, 2020, 12:43:30 AM »
It's a really good remake with a very solid, but not bullshit, challenge (which is good since the original is pretty easy). You should enjoy it if you can dig the low-poly DS level 3d visuals (which were fine at the time but that was a lot of years ago).

I tried playing The After but it was too much zzz filler fanfiction so didn't make it too far.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #34992 on: May 26, 2020, 12:46:44 AM »
The After is horrible. Doesn't add anything to the base FF4, the nadir was the one chapter where you have to go through the waterway between Kaipo and Damcyan no less than 3 times in a row.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #34993 on: May 26, 2020, 01:14:58 AM »
so you played FF3 DS version? that one is poopshit unfortunately.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #34994 on: May 26, 2020, 01:48:33 AM »
Just did the V stage in DMCV where you do a bunch of walking and then refight 3 bosses to regain his moves.  :doge
And the level before that was just a bunch of falling down some holes enemy rushes.

Eh, I got no problem with the core combat, it's great, enemies are varied enough and fun to fight, but the campaign still seems kinda sucky in this game. Doesn't seem like they learned anything from 4 in level/mission design. Can't wait to get to bloody palace and be done with the story/cutscenes with all weapons/skills unlocked.

Also Nero really needs a devil trigger. Hopefully he gets one by the end. He feels underpowered compared to Dante in that Dante can often just jump into DT to take down enemies really quick with tons of raw power (not to mention Dante has some really strong weapons like the motorcycles), Unless you're constantly hitting max-act Rev and doing Lvl.3 special moves, fighting enemies with Nero is taking me a lot longer/slower in comparison.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #34995 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:40 AM »
Been playing Greedfall, the latest RPG from my favorite Eurojank developer. It's the best game from them so far; the most competent, too. Feels like they've finally got to the point where their talents as a developer, and funding, is on a similar level as their ambition. You can still tell that they didn't have a ton of money here, but they got enough to make a fleshed out WRPG with lots of content. Not a lot of bugs or glitches either from what I've seen, which is always nice.

So yeah, it's fun. I like it.

Picked this up on sale and also enjoying it. Nice to see one of those AA middle tier rpgs that use to be common but now are kinda rare. I've always had a soft spot for the devs and yep this is by far their most competent effort.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #34996 on: May 26, 2020, 08:49:46 AM »
So with the normal Switch sold out, I've been looking at other consoles to buy. I recently got a Genesis mini and a Turbo Grafx 16 mini. I love the Genesis mini so far, haven't held anything close to a Genesis controller since I was around 4 years old.

Really excited to play around with the Turbo Grafx 16 library.  :)

There's only a couple of duds on the TG16 Mini like JJ & Jeff and China Warrior.  The rest of the line up is really solid, especially if you like shumps.  Dracula X is among the top tier of non-MetroidVania CV games.

I was playing some TGCD games yesterday.  The version of Forgotten Worlds is so good.  And Lords of Thunder is outstanding for the cock rock soundtrack alone.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #34997 on: May 26, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
Started a new RDR2 file on my newly acquired xbone x, it looks so good :uguu

although to be fair it looked pretty fucking amazing on the og bone, there was def some witchcraft going on there :lawd
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #34998 on: May 26, 2020, 10:57:21 AM »
Hi res, 95% flawless Xenoblade Chronicles in my pocket.   :rejoice  Been waiting for this day for awhile.  Going through the Colony 9 side quests. 

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #34999 on: May 26, 2020, 11:32:34 AM »
so you played FF3 DS version? that one is poopshit unfortunately.
after having completed it? I concur.
que

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35000 on: May 26, 2020, 12:04:17 PM »
yeah the DS version is pretty ass, especially near the end.

The original is pretty good imo. At least by comparison between the two
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35001 on: May 26, 2020, 12:09:58 PM »
FF4 DS is pretty good but it is [very] much unlike the original in terms of gameplay and strats - also it can be brutal as shit. Be sure to look at a guide for the augment system becaus there is a lot of missable shit involved with it
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:32:46 PM by demi »
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35002 on: May 26, 2020, 02:02:19 PM »
FF4 DS is pretty good but it is [very] much unlike the original in terms of gameplay and strats - also it can be brutal as shit. Be sure to look at a guide for the augment system becaus there is a lot of missable shit involved with it
Cannot be emphasized enough. I missed out on some really good combos due to it. I liked that version overall though.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #35003 on: May 26, 2020, 04:03:42 PM »
Finally had some downtime and played too much vidya, mainly been hopping between Battletech and Yakuza Kiwami 2. Also tried out Mechwarrior 5 and Slay the Spire finally.

Battletech is pretty awesome, if not really the setting anyone wanted (outer rimworlds)? It's pretty janky, but scratches that itch...even though campaign/story is nothing like Front Mission 3 it gives the same satisfaction when you blow off limbs. You can tell where corners were cut in places but overall liking it enough to stick with it for now.

I did the tutorial of Mechwarrior 5 but haven't felt need to juggle, not enough time. It seems somewhat interesting though the VA is pretty bad.

The first Yakuza game I played fully was 0 a few years ago and really liked it. I then jumped over to YK1 (PS4) and got a few chapters in but was burnt out on. I started back up a few weekends ago and made it through, really liked all the way until the last bit where the fights were just stupid. Anyway I figured I would be ok just playing YK2 later, but Momo posted how nice it looked on PC so I checked it out and am now on chapter 4 or so.  :punch It looks so much better than YK1, although the fighting seems a bit floatier and I think I liked the different styles. There is so much more that I actually want to do (VF2, VO, Golf) in the world though, am definitely not rushing through. Also dope just walking around places.

Slay the Spire seems good and I like, but the art is kinda bad and think it would be better suited to a phone. saw there are mods though not sure if can do as gamepass.

Bebpo

« Reply #35004 on: May 26, 2020, 10:50:29 PM »

Just played through Helltaker. It's a free 30-60 min sliding block puzzle game with demon waifus. Didn't know anything about it other than the art style looked nice and it was free and had hundreds of positive reviews so gave it a try.

Was pretty good. The puzzles are solid and the last few took me some time to figure out. The dialogues are funny, art/music is nice. The final boss is kinda of awful cheap, almost gave up but got lucky and cleared it.

Definitely could make a full length game out of it if the developer wanted to.

Beezy

« Reply #35005 on: May 27, 2020, 01:18:25 AM »
AC7's mission 6... :mjcry

BisMarckie

« Reply #35006 on: May 27, 2020, 10:29:13 AM »
Played the PSP remake of Rondo of Blood for a little, man this game looks ugly. Couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes.
The translated port of Rondo is kind of broken on PPSPP.

So I booted up the PC CD original and man it's still so good. :lawd

Bebpo

« Reply #35007 on: May 27, 2020, 10:35:44 AM »
Played the PSP remake of Rondo of Blood for a little, man this game looks ugly. Couldn't stand it for more than 10 minutes.
The translated port of Rondo is kind of broken on PPSPP.

So I booted up the PC CD original and man it's still so good. :lawd

I liked the PSP remake, but I'm also weirdly ok with low res PS1/DS/PSP level 3d.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35008 on: May 27, 2020, 10:44:59 AM »
i was just playing crisis core again recently and i gotta say when i look at psp games now i feel some nice nostalgia. the models were low-poly but they knew how to put them together so much better than the ps1 era and when you combine that with the clean image quality and bright colors it just looks so good!
pcp

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #35009 on: May 27, 2020, 10:54:42 AM »
So I've never played FFIV DS and I'm surprised at the amount of polish it has. That might be because of the shitfest that was FFIII DS but this is pretty good. I was up playing that Rydia's math puzzle game for way too long last night. That and it's not baby easy either. I have hopes for this.
que

Bebpo

« Reply #35010 on: May 27, 2020, 11:12:09 AM »
Yeah, I mean budget and DS 3d aside it's the kind of remake that only FFVIIr has gotten for FFs. It's an actual full effort remake. Voice acting and cutscene direction (at least in Japanese) is real nice.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35011 on: May 27, 2020, 11:51:18 AM »
As a newcomer the difficulty in FF4DS felt pretty cheap and shitty. Oh, big twist happens in battle, after the cutscene you better be prepared to rescue yourself out of 1HP within the next ATB timeframe.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35012 on: May 27, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »
The Dark Souls of Final Fantasy
fat

Coffee Dog

« Reply #35013 on: May 27, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
I loved FF4 DS. Adding augments and increasing the difficulty helped make a game that i thought was pretty mediocre a lot more memorable. Also, the voice cast is really nice. Liam Obrien is a great Kain.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35014 on: May 27, 2020, 07:27:50 PM »
The Conduit, Wii
...Hey, did you know that motion controls are shit? Otherwise unremarkable in every way.

I still want to check out the sequel, because there is something wrong with me.

Bebpo

« Reply #35015 on: May 28, 2020, 12:09:53 AM »
Meh, I don't really like DMCV, after God of War this is another game everyone/most people loved and I just want it to be over to move on. I'm in the last 4 missions and just finished the second fight with the panther+bird. I didn't even bother finishing the mission because I'm falling asleep so gonna sleep mode and resume next time.

I'm just finding the game so boring. I hate playing as V (well that's done at least), dislike playing as weakass Nero, and only really have fun when I'm playing as Dante. I don't know if it's the balance but the enemies/bosses just feel like they taking fucking forever and have too much HP. With Dante I'm basically in Devil Trigger constantly just to do more damage and take them down quicker, and on bosses why even bother doing anything besides dodging around with some combos while saving up devil trigger for super devil trigger form bursts. The super devil trigger slash slash slash does like 10x+ more damage than your normal attacks. Without it, it feels like you're barely chipping down the boss HPs so basically fighting feels like a grind outside the super devil trigger bursts of real major damage. Just feels like boss HP is designed around super devil trigger after you get it and it feels like a gimmick.

The level design sucks. There was a thread on era today about DMCV where someone said it had the best level design in an action game in forever and I dunno wtf he is smoking. The whole thing is a bunch of ugly ass windy corridors with the same old occasionally shitty platforming and grunt fights fight fights every few rooms. DMC1/3/4 at least had actual fucking locations like old spooky manors or european castles in the snow. This game spends most of its time in a stupid monster tree. It feels like a budget issue where they didn't have budget to make actual locations outside the few streets early on and that one fountain level.

The bosses all suck. They're boring and at best ok to fight against. The Dante vs Demon King Urizen fight was so lame dodging beams and some punches/kicks, compare that to Vergil in DMC3 and it's night and day. Cerebus King just felt like a long grind. I like the standard 1 on 1 sword fight guys/bosses (who are like Credo mini) the best.

The one thing I like about it is they did a good job with all of Dante's weapons. He's got a nice arsenal that's complex and fun to use. Balrog's stance switching, Motorcycle stuff, Nunchuck switching, dual rockets, the hat, fun stuff. The graphics are great too.

I guess I'll finish the game next session or two. I just keep stopping because I'm finding it pretty boring, especially for a character action game. At this point I like it the least out of DMC1/3/4. I just had more actual fun playing through those games than 5 which feels like a chore at this point.

Bebpo

« Reply #35016 on: May 28, 2020, 12:37:43 AM »
Also I wanna add that on PS4 the load times fucking kill the pacing and are part of what sours me on it. To quote the first post on google that comes up on it:

Load game --> Mission select --> cutscene --> Mission Screen --> mission

If you die or want to retry, you need to go through 3 load screens each time."

Add in an extra load time for every time you want to go to customize or a secret mission and I just stopped customizing mid-mission just didn't want to sit through another fucking load.

This is probably the worst loading I've seen in an AAA game that I can think of this generation. Especially bad in an action game where you want to constantly be in the action.

I picked DMC5 up on PS4 because RE2R ran fine and Capcom's engine seemed good on PS4, but I really should've got this on PC. Will double dip on the PC version at some point when it's cheap enough.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #35017 on: May 28, 2020, 12:47:05 AM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35018 on: May 28, 2020, 01:44:47 AM »

This is the only reason I'm interested in the series. I should just stop, but I need to know.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35019 on: May 28, 2020, 02:11:28 AM »
up to 11/20 stages S-ranked on Ace difficulty in Ace Combat 7 :punch

Apparently I've already passed the "hardest" stage as per the guide I'm using so the rest should be cake

Game keeps on being awesome :rejoice

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35020 on: May 28, 2020, 06:16:05 PM »
Dead Rising 4 :kobeyuck
Margs

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35021 on: May 28, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »
Do you think there's a human who has ever finished a Metal Slug game with no continues?

A quick search on Youtube says that there are.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #35022 on: May 29, 2020, 03:33:38 AM »
DMCV - Beat the game, it was dumb. Did some bloody palace and was ok, started a new game+ with Son of Sparda mode and...it's actually really fun? Like regular Nero how Nero should have played the first time + more varied enemies from the start and better boss battles + skipping all cutscenes = fun and way better paced and more exciting.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #35023 on: May 29, 2020, 07:57:45 AM »
DMCV - Beat the game, it was dumb. Did some bloody palace and was ok, started a new game+ with Son of Sparda mode and...it's actually really fun? Like regular Nero how Nero should have played the first time + more varied enemies from the start and better boss battles + skipping all cutscenes = fun and way better paced and more exciting.
yeah son of sparda is miles more fun than the first play through. I can't believe they basically kneecapped Nero for a whole playthrough so they could have an epic anime transformation sequence

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35024 on: May 29, 2020, 03:54:00 PM »
I’m downloading mass effect andromeda rn :mjcry
(ice)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35025 on: May 29, 2020, 04:17:18 PM »

Was it not well received?

Yeah, it's dogshit.

Dead Rising with no time constraints LOL

Having to pay for the actual ending LOL
fat

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35026 on: May 29, 2020, 06:43:01 PM »

No matter how bleak life might feel right now, please don’t hurt yourself, friend :tocry
Margs

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35027 on: May 29, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
from what i played, it wasn't terrible but man was it forgettable
pcp

BisMarckie

« Reply #35028 on: May 29, 2020, 07:04:48 PM »

No matter how bleak life might feel right now, please don’t hurt yourself, friend :tocry

I bought a physical copy on Day 1, it's still in the shrinkwrap. :tocry

Bebpo

« Reply #35029 on: May 29, 2020, 11:29:43 PM »
Started playing Final Fantasy XV, got into chapter 2 and went to the 2 tombs (including the first dungeon maze at the 2nd tomb). I'm liking it more than I expected, though mostly because the combat is kinda fun and music is nice. I wish there was a hard mode though, can't believe there's only easy & normal and that's it. I'm doing all the hunts and sidequests and it's definitely way too easy at the start. Also need chocobo unlocked because you run a lot.

Bebpo

« Reply #35030 on: May 29, 2020, 11:44:11 PM »
Oh, one thing I really like is the scope of BIG enemies. Like the world looks kinda of low detail ugly like a PS3 Bethesda game with questionable art design but when you sneak past that giant fucking demon bird at the beach resort area...very cool. I am excited to fight lots of big things. Even fighting the Magitek armor mechas before dungeon #2 was fun.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35031 on: May 30, 2020, 01:03:52 AM »
Been playing some Famicom lately, mostly Konami games.

Akumajou Densetsu (Castlevania 3 JP) - I made it to the final form of Dracula today. Beat him a LONG time ago as a kid (when I used a password skip to go to the end level), but this time I've been playing through the game and going through every single route, legit, no "HELP ME" or anything. So I was able to beat every single other level in the game, even the super-grueling cliffside stage with the falling blocks that everyone hates (that part wasn't too bad, the fact there are 2 bosses, one of them being a 3-parter, and the fact it's by far the longest stage in the game makes it really tough). Need a bit of a break, then I'll go in and clean it up. One thing that makes this possibly easier than the US version is Grant's basic attack is now a projectile, instead of a small stab with zero range.

Gradius 2 - But now, this is NOT easy. Punishingly difficult, due to the level designs requiring heavy memorization... I'm playing Gradius, not R-Type damnit! Even with the 30 life code, I couldn't make it further than the second part of stage 2... I am really surprised that this never got a US release back in the day, for a 1988 game it looks pretty impressive...and it was certainly better than all those shitty PC ports Konami was releasing under Ultra (I'd much rather have Gradius 2, Madara, Twinbee 3, King Kong 2... than fucking Silent Service, Defender of the Crown, Skate or Die, or Pirates... there's a reason those games clog up the bargain bins of any retro game store).

Wai Wai World - Not that great a game, I like how it mixes up several Konami franchises (Goonies, Castlevania, Goemon), but the gameplay leaves a bit to be desired. The main problem is that the screen scrolls when you're like 80% to the edge, meaning that you have limited time to react to what's coming. Reminds me of Exile 2: Wicked Phenomenon on the Duo. Levels are meandering with lots of dead ends, and no clear indication of where to go. I hear the sequel is much better...

Cocoron - A surreal platformer by Takeru (who'd go on to make Little Samson, one of the most sought-after retro games). You can select different body parts for your character, which gives you different stats... weapons... jumping abilities. The level design is semi nonlinear, and the music sounds eerily like Mega Man 1's. The game actually feels like a faster, floatier Mega Man actually. It's decent but feels a bit janky. Little Samson is much more polished.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35032 on: May 30, 2020, 02:33:42 AM »
FFXV isn't the best game in the world but there is a lot to like about it. I think you'd probably really like it overall.

Yeah, I'm digging it. The second wetlands area looks a lot nicer than the first area. Not bad looking game here. At this point I feel like I've kinda got the gameplay loop and it's a bit different for FF that this is essentially a Ubisoft open world x wrpg sidequests hybrid with lots of little stuff to do around the map. Doesn't feel like an rpg as much as an open world check off boxes game.

But I like open world games if they're fun and tend to get into the "just one more icon on the mini-map to check off before I quit this session" mindset, and so having a lot of fun doing hunts and sidequests and exploring. The combat isn't that deep but it has some cool stuff like the auto-dodging around and parrying and fights where you're zooming across the sky zero-shifting taking out snipers and then coming down to the main battlefield is pretty awesome.

The fast travel is pretty decent for mopping up map stuff and thankfully on PC w/SSD the load times are pretty quick when fast traveling around.

Bebpo

« Reply #35033 on: May 30, 2020, 02:35:49 AM »

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 02:40:56 AM by Bebpo »

bdoughty

« Reply #35034 on: May 30, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »
Minecraft Dungeons because it was on Gamepass. I hate the combat in Minecraft and had very low expectations not watching any per-release footage. Two days in and I am up to level 43 and just about to finish the second (adventure) play though and having a blast. Some nice Easter Eggs, including one from Diablo 2. There are 4 other hidden levels, including one that is bigger than any other map. It's still a bit short but also only has a $30 pricetag. Enjoying it enough I will actually pay for the DLC. Thanks to the random generation each time you replay a level it helps with replayability. Plus it makes it much tougher to find all the secrets as you are not even guaranteed to find certain secrets based on this. I am missing one hidden level that has an area that has not shown up in 20 runs. Was hoping for more puzzles and more like the top down Tomb Raider games but you wont find that here. It's bow and slash and wait for three artifacts to cool down to rinse and repeat.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35035 on: May 30, 2020, 09:49:10 PM »
Been going in hard in on a Super Paper Mario replay recently. I wanted to give this another chance, because this series seems to be like Sticker Star forever now. Thanks to that current situation, I definitely think of Super more highly than before. Back then it seemed too wack, but these days it just feels good to play a Mario adventure game with unique characters and setpieces that aren't just Toads, Koopas, forest- and lava level variants. Including a story and lore that takes itself seriously beyond all the gags and metajokes. Still, a few parts I still think are too wack. That caveman chapters is like a collection of the ugliest designs ever created by Nintendo. Still way better than more trite New Mario Bros.-inspired worlds though, no question about it.

Gameplay though still is mixed. Some padding moments are still as bad as I remember. A few positives about exploration I forgot, but also some negatives like the floaty controls. Overall, this is like TTYD lite, despite no RPG combat.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:00:37 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #35036 on: May 30, 2020, 10:03:03 PM »
FFXV - Man, there are waaaaaaaaay too many sidequests + hunts. Pretty much barely making any progress exploring new areas/moving the story when I'm doing all this. I mean it's fun, but all these NPCs who just keep giving you a new quest when you finish the previous one...too much checklist gaming!

Also doing all the side stuff is getting me way overleveled for the main story. Lvl.22 now and just decided to go to the first city which is lvl.10 main quest.

Behemoth fight/hunt to unlock chocobos was fun little boss. Spent some time learning about the movelists for the various weapons and it's pretty fun messing with all the stuff. Also tried wait mode for the first time and it's not bad. I kinda like that I don't have to use it unless I stop and stand still for a second. I'm finding aiming my partner's L1 hotbar attacks at specific enemies hard in active (they just seem to aim at whatever), so I like that I can go to wait and pick a target and assign them to attack it. Also helpful for Libra.

Overall early on it's a lot of fun and feels like a different, but good FF! Main gripes are there are a lot of little UI things that are dumb and I wish the mod tools were for more than skin swaps/costumes so people could improve this stuff like a Bethesda game:

-Why can't I sort my quest list? There's so many quests that going through them is a pain.
-Why can't the map show all the quest markers for all the quests I have and not just the current one so I can see if there's other quests I should be checking off along the way. Instead after everything I do I sit and run through all my quest list and see their markers to see if anything is close which is tedious.
-Not being able to use auto-drive aka fast travel at night so once it gets dark gotta go rest first
-There aren't many dungeons so far, but at least in the woods by the chocobo races there's no way to "return to dungeon entrance" so if you're in a quest there you have to run all the way back out which is dumb.
-You can't look at the 3d model of a weapon without equipping it first, small thing but just dumb

But mainly, there's just too many quests if you feel like you wanna do everything before progressing. They're mostly fun, but yeah I could do with a lot less. Some of them are barely a quest beyond "go to a spot"

Bebpo

« Reply #35037 on: May 30, 2020, 10:04:24 PM »
Also 10 hours in and I just found out the greyed out "assets" option under graphics is 4k textures that you have to go to the store page on steam and purchase the free DLC of it to install. Downloading them now.

I wonder if this will make the game look way better overall. I saved at the city, so will be able to compare if it looks any more sharper/detailed:

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #35038 on: May 30, 2020, 10:24:38 PM »
I'm downloading BACKSTREETS BACK myself. If only to grind in Comrads since PSO2 killed itself. :doge

Was it not well received?

Yeah, it's dogshit.

Dead Rising with no time constraints LOL

Having to pay for the actual ending LOL

It's better than 3. But that's not saying much given the Canadian take-over of the series after 2 just had them slowly going down hill.

1 > 2: OtR >>> 2: Case West >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 2: Case Zero > 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 >>>>>>>>> Rectal Cancer > 3.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:28:50 PM by thisismyusername »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35039 on: May 30, 2020, 10:28:41 PM »
yeah stop doing all the quests and hunts in FFXV. almost all of them are boring and pointless, and they'll make the rest of the game boring because you'll be so overleveled. do cindy's to improve your car, maybe cid's if you want a better sword, but leave the other bullshit alone.
pcp