Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 1602419 times)

Borys

• CAPTAIN OF XBOX DEATH SQUAD
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35580 on: November 24, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »
Ashen gives you some legit "build choices" later on with "Talismans".

i.e.
- up to 100% Damange Resistance for the next blow if unhit for 24-seconds (which is a very long time when fighting); timer restarts when you get hit
OR
- 30% of all Damage Received returned back
OR
- 5 Homing Missiles attacking enemies every 5-hits; restarts if you are hit
OR
- !! didn't unlock yet !!

I have also unlocked some pretty powerful potions that can be bought i.e.:

- +50% Damage Resistance in dark-ass dungeons if NOT using a Lamp :lol come on, game... that's Gollum level tricksy
- full health restored in 10 seconds with a cooldown. The trick here is that if you use any other healing item in the cooldown it... damages you.

I also took a peek at the cheevos (couldn't help it) and ugh... there is a trophy for beating the game on SL1 (it has a separate "kind of" SL1 mode). Took a look at reddit and folks that did beat Dark Souls on SL1 have had major problems here in Ashen. Say it is much harder... I never played a single Souls game on SL1 so I guess I'm out of the Platinum. Kind of was wondering in the past what will be the first Souls game to have a SL1 Trophy. Never in a million years would I've guessed it will be Ashen, lol.

Bets are off which will be the first Souls game to have a Trophy for a no-hit run...

Chooky

« Reply #35581 on: November 24, 2019, 02:18:56 PM »
welp, finally beat mgsv and fucking L O L at how it ended. game is just going like normal, doing some random tasks, then "hey here's a cutscene with showing the predictable twist, aaaand ROLL CREDITS THE END. no final boss, no buildup, just goodbye thanks for playing wtffff

and then the cut content that's on the making of disc - i had always assumed it'd show some storyboards from a cut boss battle or something, but nope! you get illustrations showing what would have been the final level, detailed voice acting setting it up and providing flavor dialog, and then (mostly) whole cutscenes before and after what would have been the final boss. like they straight up cut out the entire final level and put nothing in it's place. i'm dumbstruck at the audacity of the whole thing.

ANYWAYS, the game itself was alright. reminded me a lot of how i felt about mgs2, in that i enjoyed the basic gameplay systems but found most everything else lacking. shooting and sneaking was a lot of fun but there was nothing else to bolster it and it got real samey real fast. it did rekindle however rekindle my long lost interest in the series and i want to go back and play some of the old games, especially the spinoffs like ghost babel and acid. they hardly get any attention from so-called fans anymore.

Stro

• I'm just a dragon-canine boye
« Reply #35582 on: November 24, 2019, 03:18:21 PM »
The audacity of Konami to cut out 1/3rd of the game, charge full price for it, then tease you with the left over content? Agreed.

Chooky

« Reply #35583 on: November 24, 2019, 03:48:35 PM »
yeeeeahhhh i think that might be a little much. similar to the complaints about FFXV, i think calling it a ripoff is a huge exaggeration and unfair to the team that clearly did put a ton of work into the product. we did get a huge game with a fuckton of content, far more than any other game in the series. just because one aspect - the narrative - was unsatisfying doesn't discredit the rest of the game. i overall enjoyed my time with it but it's clear it coulda been better if they had more time.

bluemax

« Reply #35584 on: November 24, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
If anyone is looking for a challenging, but rewarding, older style JRPG I totally recommend Romancing SaGa 3. The translation seems to be very well done, and the game has the kind of graphical treatment that Final Fantasy fans wish Square had given FF5 and FF6. It's very not hand holdy. Basically you pick a main character, play through their intro and then... you wander the world figuring out where to do. It rewards you for doing something most of us probably don't do in  JRPGs anymore, talk to NPCs. There are a couple of quests you have to find and do to beat the game, but the ending you get varies based on what other quests you do. There's tons of characters you can get to your party, and various different ways to develop them, so every playthrough can be different.

It is however... very obtuse. So if you don't like feeling stuck/lost/confused its probably not the best game for you. Overall I find it a lot less difficult than RS2.
NO

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35585 on: November 24, 2019, 04:44:58 PM »
I've always heard that they punish grinding somehow. Is it a warranted concern if you explore for treasure ('natural' grinding, if you can't avoid combat)? And what actually happens? Can you screw yourself?

Borys

« Reply #35586 on: November 25, 2019, 09:22:23 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahaha, there is a proper Blighttown in Ashen with slow down water, fucking archers all around you and scaffoldings EVERYWHERE.

And holy shit! @ this last (final?) map reveal and look. Insane what this art style delivers sometimes. I hope that is the Last Boss Palace in the distance, gotta get there...

MMaRsu

« Reply #35587 on: November 25, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
U got me interested in Ashen but just realized its not on Steam

Ill just pirate it then

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #35588 on: November 25, 2019, 01:15:54 PM »
Kid bought Katana Zero and finally bugged me enough to have me try it out. I really like it. It's a nice little game. I'm usually a hater of "trial and error" game play but this game makes me feel like a bad ass

My middle son has been trying out Fallen Order (lent to us from a friend). He says he likes it. But let's really take a good look at this:
- He's played a few hours of Fallen Order . Feels there's too much walking and blah. Insists he likes it though
- I come back after a while and he's put Fallen Order back in the box and popped in Dragon's Dogma :Dark Arisen and started a new game

So really how good can Fallen Order be?
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35589 on: November 25, 2019, 01:20:58 PM »
- I come back after a while and he's put Fallen Order back in the box and popped in Dragon's Dogma :Dark Arisen and started a new game

:jeb
dog

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #35590 on: November 25, 2019, 02:02:04 PM »

:jeb
Indeed. Kid's got taste.
que

Svejk

« Reply #35591 on: November 25, 2019, 02:18:32 PM »
I mean... Dragon's Dogma shits astronomical heights above quite allot. 

Don Rumata

« Reply #35592 on: November 25, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »
True, but:
Feels there's too much walking
and he likes DD? :doge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #35593 on: November 25, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
True, but:
Feels there's too much walking
and he likes DD? :doge
He felt that there's just a lot of walking without much exciting happening in Fallen Order.
There's a metric shitton of walking in DD, but it can be exciting with Chimeras and Drakes and cyclopes, etc just on the road.
Besides, if you're ever bored you can learn that wolves hunt in packs.
que

Potato

• Kipfler
« Reply #35594 on: November 25, 2019, 10:45:04 PM »
Started on The Touryst. I love Shin'en games. Only just started, but seems very quirky.
Spud

bluemax

« Reply #35595 on: November 25, 2019, 11:46:10 PM »
I've always heard that they punish grinding somehow. Is it a warranted concern if you explore for treasure ('natural' grinding, if you can't avoid combat)? And what actually happens? Can you screw yourself?

It's a little easier to dodge encounters in RS3 than RS2. I think RS3 changes how quests become available from RS1 and RS2 so the battle counter probably isn't as big of a deal. I guess if you got into a lot of fights that you ran from you might be able to fuck yourself but it feels somewhat better balanced than other SaGa games.

I can link you to a site that has more info on mechanics if you are interested.
NO

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35596 on: November 25, 2019, 11:55:11 PM »
Yespls!

Freyj

« Reply #35597 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:30 AM »
Been playing a lot of Path of Exile in lieu of the D4 trailer and Exilecon announcements.

Maybe the most systemed game Iíve ever played. Not fully sure how PoE2 will shake things up but there are so many events and special currencies and stats to roll that itís completely overwhelming at first.

Borys

« Reply #35598 on: November 26, 2019, 04:15:56 AM »

Ill just pirate it then

Umm... why isn't it on Steam? It's an old game, from 2018! Is it Xbox One exclusive? :lol

MMaRsu

« Reply #35599 on: November 26, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
Well its coming to Steam so ill eventually buy it

Freyj

« Reply #35600 on: November 26, 2019, 11:46:29 AM »

Ill just pirate it then

Umm... why isn't it on Steam? It's an old game, from 2018! Is it Xbox One exclusive? :lol

It was an EGS exclusive but is releasing on Steam on Dec 9th I think.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35601 on: November 26, 2019, 01:41:38 PM »
I finished Man of Medan last night - very short game (for a playthrough at least). Huge step down from Until Dawn. Once you beat the game you get a teaser for the "next game" (Little Hope) that seems to take place in a town with witches and shit.

What's disappointing is that Until Dawn had that supernatural and very real threat that gets revealed near the end, Man of Medan decides to go for the Uncharted "grounded in reality" route for its supernatural element

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything that happens on the ship is a hallucination caused by a chemical leak
[close]
fat

Don Rumata

« Reply #35602 on: November 26, 2019, 06:55:32 PM »
Finished Control's critical path (and most side quests).
I loved it for the most part, there were a couple of things in the design i didn't like (the respawn system, some of the artistic visual choices impacting gameplay negatively, a bit of repetitiveness) but i'm very glad a game like this got made.
The setting was top shelf, visual design was amazing, combat was fluid and very fun to play (and nice to look at, with those animations).
Story felt a bit rushed in the finale, but it had many cool moments, but it didn't develop its characters enough to land the more emotional side, in my opinion.
There's a lot to mine there, though, i hope they'll consider a sequel or, even better, a "side-quel", kind of like Alan Wake is, in relation to it.

As a Metroidvania of sort, i'm not sure it handled the backtracking in the best way, you opened doors with increasing levels of key cards, which is a pretty basic way of going at it, and the only power that really opens up new areas, is levitation (which is amazing) and an immunization pill (which has no gameplay ramification, so might as well be another key card).
Plus the bonfire system felt out of place as i mentioned.

Anyway, the important thing is, i finally go back to loving Remedy like in the Max Payne days.  :'(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 07:06:06 PM by Don Rumata »

The Sceneman

• got the hat on
« Reply #35603 on: November 27, 2019, 12:15:25 AM »
Just beat Old Man's Journey, solely for the purpose of easy gamerscore for the 10,000 gamerscore in 10 days promo (MS gives rewards points equal to the gamerscore you earn in selected titles).

Gotta be one of the worst "adventure" games I've ever played. Barely a game, it's more reminiscent of an edutainment CD rom from the early 90s, except I remember Little Critter Goes to the Beach was more interactive. You can click on like, a dozen interactive widgets in the entire game. The rest is a bunch of basic puzzles involving dragging hills around. Some seriously wanky stuff, cant understand the 4/5 review average. Guess some people get turned on by pretty pictures or something. NGL some of the art was good.

naff

• let's face it. admit that it's all related
« Reply #35604 on: November 27, 2019, 12:44:07 AM »
Hahahahahahahahahaha, there is a proper Blighttown in Ashen with slow down water, fucking archers all around you and scaffoldings EVERYWHERE.

(Image removed from quote.)

And holy shit! @ this last (final?) map reveal and look. Insane what this art style delivers sometimes. I hope that is the Last Boss Palace in the distance, gotta get there...

(Image removed from quote.)

looks good. has been on my radar for a bit, but not because i'm really interested in another souls clone but because it's a new zealand studio.
(_,_)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35605 on: November 27, 2019, 04:34:14 AM »
Started playing Phoenix Wright: Yakuza Attorney, aka Judgement. It was $25 at Best Buy.
©@©ô

Borys

« Reply #35606 on: November 27, 2019, 03:08:26 PM »
Fuck this dungeon in the golden palace pictured above. It is even worse than the Matriarch Dungeon before since you cannot simply run through it - you have to kill enemies in order to unlock doors. Wasted more than 2 hours already and did not get to the bonfire... yikes. Tough one. Need to check my build and equipment again.

Borys

« Reply #35607 on: November 27, 2019, 03:09:45 PM »
Oh and the area above is not final. I got a quest that is placed on some island next to the mainland that I never noticed before on the world map.... fml.

Borys

« Reply #35608 on: November 28, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »
The Palace boss was some real bullshit. I hate bosses with adds. I couldn't teleport back to the City in order to buy more potions/ upgrade different weapons so I was stuck there trying him again and again. I mean I could teleport back but no way in hell I was going AGAIN through that piece of shit dungeon - worst in the game; lost 90k Souls in there.

Now the Last Boss is.................... a different kind of bullshit. The run up to his fog gate is very annoying and quite long - the longest I remember from recent memory in Souls games; last time I was running so long to face the bosses was back in Demon's Souls - Shrine of Storms - where there were almost no shortcuts to the bosses in The Fourth Archstone (4-1, 4-2).

I am very tired of this game to be honest; it is very challenging in my opinion or maybe just The Surge(s) were quite easy. It is precisely balanced to be played in Co-Op, soloing is hardcore even more than in Code Vein. Will see how long it takes me to kill the final boss :/

Have some pics (none of which is the Last Boss by the way):

<-- fuck this place and this whole dungeon
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 12:51:11 PM by Borys »

Borys

« Reply #35609 on: November 28, 2019, 03:16:38 PM »
Done deal.

:itagaki

TVC15

• slopping down some pig shit with you fat fucks and Iím the fattest of you all
« Reply #35610 on: November 28, 2019, 04:03:53 PM »
Tinkering with Luigiís Mansion before heading out for T-Day. Even after indulging fancy PC tastes for a few weeks, this gameís visuals are still outstanding. I donít know what the special sauce is, but this is probably tops for visuals for me this year. Between this and Linkís Awakening, Nintendo is really impressing me when it comes to delivering on a tech budget, more than they normally do.
serge

Chooky

« Reply #35611 on: November 29, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
still on a metal gear kick so I figured I'd play the few that I never touched.

metal gear 1 is surprisingly still a lot of fun. it cracks me up that so many people want a remake when the game is already filled with stuff that was reused later on. guiding a Nikita across an electric floor, donning an enemy disguise, fighting a helicopter and tank, it's all here. the beginning of the game is too tough as you try to figure out enemy ai, and there is some 8bit trolling with pits and one way doors and whatnot, but otherwise it's still very smooth. nice level design and creative items make it a blast.

on the other hand, metal gear survive. I'm only a few hours in and it's not a total abomination, but damn is it boring. going it picks up when I can get in to base building mechanics.

ExoYZA

• Phat Dragon
« Reply #35612 on: November 29, 2019, 05:22:49 PM »

metal gear 1 is surprisingly still a lot of fun. it cracks me up that so many people want a remake when the game is already filled with stuff that was reused later on. guiding a Nikita across an electric floor, donning an enemy disguise, fighting a helicopter and tank, it's all here. the beginning of the game is too tough as you try to figure out enemy ai, and there is some 8bit trolling with pits and one way doors and whatnot, but otherwise it's still very smooth. nice level design and creative items make it a blast.

Funny you mention that as MG2: Solid Snake is so much like MGS that MGS might as well have been a remake of it.
\m/

Chooky

« Reply #35613 on: November 29, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »

Funny you mention that as MG2: Solid Snake is so much like MGS that MGS might as well have been a remake of it.

that's what i've heard, that it's basically 2D MGS1. it's the only metal gear i haven't played (besides PO+) so i'm looking forward to it. MG1 is relatively barebones compared to Kojima's post-Snatcher games so i'm excited to see how much MG2 adds.

Borys

« Reply #35614 on: November 30, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »
Since I am only missing 1 Trophy for the Platinum I started the SL1 Challenge in Ashen. I mean why not? Nothing else to play about.

I made Geralt this time:

So far so good. Killed 2 main bosses (out of 5). SL1 here means that after the first 1/5th of the game almost everything OHKO's you even random mobs. OHKO. It's more of a "NO HIT" challenge instead of "SL1". I am now 40% done - so everything OHKOs me - so why not go to the "Last Area" for some upgrade materials? in Ashen you can access the "Final Area" immediately after starting the game. It has end game enemies and end game upgrade materials. I kept running to the materials and have 95% already :lol Means I am able to upgrade my weapons to end game level before facing the 3rd Main Boss, hahahaha.

The "SL1" here means:

- you have 1/3 health (at end game)
- you have 1/2 stamina (at end game)
- your Co-Op AI has 1/3 health etc.

Everything else is the same - weapons deal the same amount of damage, enemies (and bosses) have the same amount of health/ damage etc.

I am using Co-Op AI this time and it somewhat helps... still, this is a NO HIT run (reminder: everything OHKOs you) so it's fucking hard.... HARD.

The Last Boss won't be a problem - I can easily no-hit him using Spears (ranged weapon). The biggest hurdle is the pre-Last Boss and the pre-Last Dungeon. They can be - and will be - run killers to be honest.

We will see :) I also learned there is DLC for this game (Nightstorm Isle). Need to buy it when I'm done/ bored/ failed the SL1 Trophy Run.

Chooky

« Reply #35615 on: November 30, 2019, 04:39:02 PM »
it has been years and years since i played a game i thought truly sucked. like i honestly can't remember the last time i played something that pissed me off and felt like it was wasting my time. it certainly couldn't have been this gen because there's just so much good stuff that's came out. having said that: metal gear survive really, honestly, sucks my ass. fuck this bullshit ass game.

who is ted danson?

• disney/star wars blogger
« Reply #35616 on: December 01, 2019, 09:30:31 AM »
Got my free month of origin access. Played and beat Titanfall 2 in one sitting. Really fun game, definitely worth checking out.

I don't think there is much else I'd want to play on origin though. Will give NFS (2015) a go, and maybe BFV  :-\

Bebpo

« Reply #35617 on: December 01, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
Just beat Old Man's Journey, solely for the purpose of easy gamerscore for the 10,000 gamerscore in 10 days promo (MS gives rewards points equal to the gamerscore you earn in selected titles).

Gotta be one of the worst "adventure" games I've ever played. Barely a game, it's more reminiscent of an edutainment CD rom from the early 90s, except I remember Little Critter Goes to the Beach was more interactive. You can click on like, a dozen interactive widgets in the entire game. The rest is a bunch of basic puzzles involving dragging hills around. Some seriously wanky stuff, cant understand the 4/5 review average. Guess some people get turned on by pretty pictures or something. NGL some of the art was good.

Yeah, I tried playing this and it sucked and I like walking sims and simple adventure games and stuff. Don't understand the reviews either. Deleted it after an hour.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35618 on: December 01, 2019, 07:41:50 PM »
A this-but-this of ReCore
I had forgotten every impression of this by the time I started it up, but I was pleasantly surprised. At least initially.

- Combat and traversal feel good and your bots are very useful throughout (prioritize Duncan, he cleans shop).
- Dungeons rely mostly on combat and traversal challenges, no puzzles to speak of.
- Fights are fun for a while, but then they start forcing you to defeat waves of bullet sponges, dragging things out needlessly and highlighting how samey the fights are. Variety in types and encounters only changes what and how you dodge, not how you fight.
- You can decide if you want to yank enemy cores out (for upgrade juice) or blast it to bits (for upgrade mats). Later on you will be yanking them out just to get it over with, as that can be done at two-thirds of their health bar.
- Build up a 10-hit combo and you can insta-yank a core, even from a full HP enemy. You can even bank one insta-yank for the next fight.
- You can have one bot out and two on-hand, but there are three in total. Technical limitation, probably, but it's super annoying when you explore the overworld and run into a spot where you need one you left at home.
- The biggest kick in the balls though: you will at one point need 15 (then 30) McGuffins to progress the main story, which you can find by exploring the overworld or, most commonly, from what I had assumed to be optional dungeons. Almost stopped then and there, but kept going, cause I am stupid.
- The final dungeon is an infurating gauntlet set in nearly featureless environment. Same basic design as the challenge dungeons, except textureless cyberspace, i.e. this is where they blatantly ran out time and money. Was it really THAT much cheaper to make a bunch of filler than to make another dungeon or two? I'm guessing yes. :doge

tl;dr
Good fundamentals, but padded to shit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 07:52:47 PM by Rufus »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35619 on: December 01, 2019, 11:35:20 PM »
Started Doublefine's RAD, probably their last independent game now that they've been bought by Microsoft. It's compelling. The moment to moment gameplay is fun, engaging and relatively challenging. The economy seems to work so far, esp. now that I've finally understood that the bank in town holds all cash banked by Reborn (your player  character) across each delve attempt. So  I've lost about 300 so far just from failing to grasp that mechanic.  It has the usual DF charm if that works for you (it does for me) and the music and visuals are excellent.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35620 on: December 02, 2019, 03:24:49 PM »
Game Pass rules

Anyway

- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Great game, I think SOTN is better but this is a good follow up.

- Guacamelee 2

More Guacamelee. They seemed to have upped the "git gud" approach with the platforming. Combat can get frustrating at times.

- Tacoma

Easy 1000, also fat lesbians rule

- Hollow Knight

Just started. Might as well experience this one. Apparently the Xbox version has achievements for shit like doing the permadeath mode, while PS4 doesn't. Pussies (I'm just going to play the classic / story mode and get what I can out of that)
fat

nachobro

• Live MŠs
« Reply #35621 on: December 02, 2019, 03:41:33 PM »
Started ReCore on game pass, game is pretty fun but also not very difficult. Fun little way to pass the time though. Also even with a Ryzen 2600 and 2070 Super this thing still somehow dips below 60fps sometimes, it's just that poorly optimized :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35622 on: December 02, 2019, 06:04:40 PM »
Oh, it will get more difficult. Some of the bullshit encounter design is downright infuriating. :maf

Installed Forza Horizon 4. It sure is a racing game. Yup. Pretty though.
Gonna try and progress to the supercar tier, but I might get bored much sooner, as usual with racing games these days.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:08:55 PM by Rufus »

Borys

« Reply #35623 on: December 03, 2019, 03:50:22 AM »
- Guacamelee 2

More Guacamelee. They seemed to have upped the "git gud" approach with the platforming. Combat can get frustrating at times.

The chicken challenges are the ultimate test. Fun game but meh story and meh music (OST is worse than Guaca 1).

- Hollow Knight

Just started. Might as well experience this one. Apparently the Xbox version has achievements for shit like doing the permadeath mode, while PS4 doesn't. Pussies (I'm just going to play the classic / story mode and get what I can out of that)

Enjoy. Better game than SotN and Super Metroid.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35624 on: December 03, 2019, 07:27:10 AM »
So far I disagree
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #35625 on: December 03, 2019, 11:17:45 AM »
So far Fallen order falls flat. If it wasn't a star wars game I don't think it'd be notable. The combat's good. They should have just focused on that instead of trying to cram every popular game into it.  I mean who at the pitch meeting heard
 "You get all these awesome Jedi powers! And you use them to do things like jump and climb! and clamber!"
"Ok what about combat?"
"Oh yes, that's quite good. But only after you jump and climb and squeeze and crawl"
"But wait, any dolt can climb and crawl, why make the player a jedi then make them do mundane things?"
"Oh and they can slide like sonic!"

And didn't say, "wait. this makes no sense."

I mean, it's a step in the right direction. But still...

Anyone playing Romancing SaGa 3? usually SaGa games don't hold up at all. Does this one?
que

Don Rumata

« Reply #35626 on: December 03, 2019, 11:39:12 AM »
I kind of agree, but also the think the combat ISN'T very good at all.
It's basically a carbon copy of Sekiro, without any of the fluidity.
The whole thing is incredibly mediocre so far, aside from the fact that Star Wars games are usually dog shit.

MMaRsu

« Reply #35627 on: December 03, 2019, 04:28:28 PM »
Jedi Knight II still better

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35628 on: December 03, 2019, 09:01:56 PM »
So far Fallen order falls flat. If it wasn't a star wars game I don't think it'd be notable. The combat's good. They should have just focused on that instead of trying to cram every popular game into it.  I mean who at the pitch meeting heard
 "You get all these awesome Jedi powers! And you use them to do things like jump and climb! and clamber!"
"Ok what about combat?"
"Oh yes, that's quite good. But only after you jump and climb and squeeze and crawl"
"But wait, any dolt can climb and crawl, why make the player a jedi then make them do mundane things?"

Anyone playing Romancing SaGa 3? usually SaGa games don't hold up at all. Does this one?

I've played the original SFC one, not all the way through of course... was pretty fun if you don't mind Kawazu-style obtuseness. Beautiful graphics and music too.
HOUSE

bluemax

« Reply #35629 on: December 04, 2019, 01:05:11 AM »
"Ok what about combat?"

I made a post in one of these threads about it. I got sidetracked with a bunch of other stuff but TLDR RS3 is the best of the SNES SaGa games. It's not as fondly remembered as RS2 (by the Japanese populace anyhow) but it has better balancing for the most part.

Good site for info: https://romancing-saga-3.blogspot.com/
NO

Propagandhim

« Reply #35630 on: December 04, 2019, 11:05:35 AM »
LISA: The Painful RPG.   How did I miss this?  Hilarious game and great storytelling.

Spieler1

« Reply #35631 on: December 04, 2019, 11:13:25 AM »
Wanted to try that free Monster Energy racing game that comes with PS+ while Titanfall was loading - a biking game, why not? The video looks okay  :doge  30 seconds to a minute wasted on logos, another 30 seconds to get to the starting menu. Then another minute of loading. Then a stuttering mess of a game and getting it de-installed  :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35632 on: December 04, 2019, 12:53:09 PM »
LISA: The Painful RPG.   How did I miss this?

Probably by not watching the premier contenfluencer on Youtube.

©@©ô

« Reply #35633 on: December 04, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
Iím playing thru death stranding and oddly liking it? Itís like if David Lynch watched a delivery man anime and then made a game based on it.

Borys

« Reply #35634 on: December 05, 2019, 03:06:35 AM »
Slowly going through SL1 Trophy in Ashen. Wasted about 6 hours grinding for souls in order to upgrade my weapon to maximum level before the 3rd Boss fight. Yesterday spent some time fighting him (that dungeon is a nightmare on SL1...) and managed to win so now I can access:

- the hardest dungeon in the entire game (Palace)
- the hardest boss in the entire game (Palace Boss) - *if* I make it through the Palace...

Killing the 3rd Boss unlocked some very needed features that are simply required in SL1 gameplay:

- the 100% Damage Resistance for One Hit after 23 Seconds of Not Getting Hit item (crucial for Final Boss and the Palace as well)
- lots of Side Quests for upgrades
- lots of Side Quests for rewards:
   - consumable that ups your Damage Resistance by 50% for 120 seconds if you are not using Lantern
   - craftable Exploding Spears (crucial for Final Boss and the Palace)
   - Traits like +10% Damage Resistance if your Health is > 60%
- new maps with better Armor (25%, 30% Damage Resistance but +80% Stamina Cost (:lol))
- etc.

Damage Resistance is KING in SL1 game. Since everything OHKOs you you need to live through that OHKO for a Second Chance if you make a stupid error. You can only roll so much with super limited Stamina pool that SL1 gives you...

Wonder how many people will buy Ashen on the 9th? I hope at least there is a new |OT| posted on Resetera for this game, it needs more spotlight.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:13:49 AM by Borys »

Freyj

« Reply #35635 on: December 06, 2019, 01:31:05 PM »
Finished Trails in the Sky SC after a decade hiatus and Iíve turned around on the series after playing the PC version with one notable improvement: a customizable Turbo Mode for both battle and field. My main beef with FC was that the battles were just obnoxiously slow at times and this cuts right through that.

Gonna take a break before moving onto 3rd / Cold Steel but happy to be happy with a JRPG again, itís been a while. I know theyíre old games at this point but the release of FC on the PSP came during a time when I was growing pretty jaded on the direction of JRPGs and Iíve mostly fallen off the wagon on trying any new JRPGs in the last 6-7 years.

Started SaGa Scarlet Grace last night and as always with SaGa: what a bizarre little game but god damn is the battle system good here.

Borys

« Reply #35636 on: December 06, 2019, 03:02:47 PM »
Did any of you try any SL1 in a Souls game?

Cause it is fucking BULLSHIT.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35637 on: December 06, 2019, 07:49:51 PM »
No because artificial challenges like SL1 are stupid
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #35638 on: December 07, 2019, 12:44:49 AM »
Tried out one of the indie games in the humble bundle because I liked the style, called Desert Child

It's a Cowboy Bebop inspired hip-hop funk on mars hoverbike racing and chill game. Visuals are great, music is great, but the gameplay kinda sucks. There's no indication of when the race is gonna end and the CPU rubberband keeps up with you if you boost ahead so within 10 mins it became apparent the best strategy is to hang back just behind the CPU and save your boost and when you see the finish line boost ahead, the end.

Also playing it I was thinking "please don't be made by a white guy" and looked up the main guy and yeah, it's made by a white guy.

https://geeksociety.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/IMG_20170611_191259.jpg

It's not a huge strike against it, but I just feel like these days if you're trying to make a game about a certain culture (like black culture here) and you're a white dude who probably didn't grow up and has very little understanding of it outside media that it's kinda cringy. Like when I saw the Guacemelee 2 credits pop up and the entire Drinkbox team making games about Mexican culture was 100% white Canadians. Doesn't make the game bad, just kinda cringy.

I'll give the guy this though, he did the soundtrack pretty much himself (along with everything else in the game since it's a 1 person dev game) and it's pretty darn good:

https://icecreamsandwich.bandcamp.com/releases
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 12:49:30 AM by Bebpo »

FatalT

« Reply #35639 on: December 07, 2019, 01:13:49 AM »
I picked up Code Vein during the Black Friday sale on PSN and it's been a joy to play. It's basically a very simplified Souls-like with an actually follow-able story-line that doesn't require you to look up item descriptions and things like that just to understand entirely what's going on. It's also hella weeb and I love it for it.