Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3590383 times)

paprikastaude

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35580 on: August 14, 2020, 08:24:01 PM »
holy fuck Streets of Rage :tocry Needs to be played with the d-pad though.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #35581 on: August 14, 2020, 09:49:15 PM »
it is indeed fucking amazing
pcp

paprikastaude

« Reply #35582 on: August 15, 2020, 02:26:41 PM »
Every trophy for finishing SoR4 with one character is ultrarare/less than 10 %? :jeanluc

Svejk

« Reply #35583 on: August 15, 2020, 02:56:40 PM »
Every trophy for finishing SoR4 with one character is ultrarare/less than 10 %? :jeanluc
I still need a play through with Cherry.  Don't really jive with her fight style that much.   :yeshrug  Adam on the other hand....  :lawd

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35584 on: August 15, 2020, 04:01:42 PM »

Yeah cause it requires you to play solo, they don't count co-op which is dumb as shit so you gotta play like 20+ times by yourself
fat

Svejk

« Reply #35585 on: August 15, 2020, 04:07:26 PM »

Yeah cause it requires you to play solo, they don't count co-op which is dumb as shit so you gotta play like 20+ times by yourself
That, and stay on the same file too..  I got mine mixed up for whatever dumb reasons and couldn't remember where I last left off with what character. lol    :derp

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35586 on: August 15, 2020, 11:42:35 PM »
Beat Castlevania last night, for the first time. Also beat Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys this morning on a replay, and am doing replays of Willow (NES) and Power Blade (NES), 2 games I beat a while back but felt itching to replay. Willow is pretty underrated as far as NES action RPGs go, the graphics are pretty good, some of the areas are super maze-like, but it lacks the obtuseness of a lot of NES RPGs and adventure games.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35587 on: August 16, 2020, 01:59:26 PM »
Played some Trials of Mana

I'm stoked to play Xenoblade next but I felt that something a bit more simplistic would be a nice change of pace after the complexity of Astral Chain.
Trials of Mana looks great and plays great. It's kinda funny that the roots of the Super Famicom are still in there.
So you get this gorgeous HD presentation and 3D character models that say 16-bit lines like: "Curses! You got me!"

And then of course there's the great remastered soundtrack but you can also go for the original OST if you prefer.

🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35588 on: August 16, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »
So wait, why does Astral Chain get compared to Eva a lot? It's still in my backlog but just having mechs doesn't make things Eva.

Are there heavy religion motifs? Does the main character have depression & social anxiety and is generally a mess?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35589 on: August 16, 2020, 02:24:36 PM »
So wait, why does Astral Chain get compared to Eva a lot? It's still in my backlog but just having mechs doesn't make things Eva.

Are there heavy religion motifs? Does the main character have depression & social anxiety and is generally a mess?
References I noticed without spoiling
- One of the unlockable color schemes of the Sword Legion is literally EVA-1
- Alien creatures (Chimera / Angels) with armor attached become the Mechs (Legions / EVA's)
- The squad is called Neuron, a reference to NERV
- Pilot / Legion synchronization
- Panels representing a shadowy organization (like SEELE in EVA)
- Biblical references (like Eva)
- The twins in Astral sort of have a Shinji/Asuka (why do you have to be better than me?) relationship
- Yoseph = Gendo (but has no paternal connection to the twins of Astral Chain)

I could go on but then I get into spoiler territory. It surprised me how much it was similar to Evangelion but from what I read they also borrow heavily from other anime I haven't seen like Apple Seed and Attack on Titan.
Depending on your gender preference you can either play a male or female and even though you're not a 100% silent protagonist you don't really say much. Plus you deal with loss and challenges but not as much EXISTENTIAL DREAD as Shinji.
The depression / social anxiety is less of a thing for the player character. But instead projected on other characters such as your twin.

For me every hour I was playing I felt like there was some reference to Evangelion and then at the end it was like playing Evangelion The Game.  :doge
At some point they also start borrowing heavily from Ghost in the Shell.

I read the game was conceptualized as a trilogy, so hopefully we'll learn something about the sequel soon.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 02:35:40 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35590 on: August 17, 2020, 02:23:48 PM »
I'm about 2/3rds through the story in Spider-Man (is there even a real 100% checker? The map % seems to just be the main story campaign?), and I've got a love/burn-out relationship with the game.

There's too much side shit and it's too inconsequential and underbaked. For every good 15-20 min main story mission I do, I end up doing 2-3 hours of mini-game filler between each one on the way to the next because I'm that kind of person that if I see an icon on the way to something I stop by and do it. Whether I'm doing Taskmaster fight/bomb/stealth/drone challenges, Crime stops, Demon/Fisk bases, Research station missions, side missions which are usually just about as deep as a research station mission (The Tombstone sidequest w/boss fight was the only real quality one so far), pigeons, black cat hideouts, backpacks, landmarks, etc...

and there's still 3 locked side stuff categories still

This game reminds me that I bailed pretty early on in Sunset Overdrive, Insomniac's first attempt at an ubisoft sandbox game because it was super repetitive and felt like Insomniac wasn't that great at this concept. Spider-Man is very improved, and I'm not going to say any of it is bad, but it just feels basic, fillerish and forgettable outside the main story.

Howlongtobeat.com says the game is like 15 hours main story, 25 hours doing all the side stuff, but I don't know if I buy that. The side stuff is like 90% of the game content/time and I feel like I'm 20+ hours already and the game is going to be more like 40-50 hours because of all this filler.

For the sequel, either the Miles expansion or Spider-Man 2, I'd really like for them to put in like 1/2 the amount of side stuff but make them more unique and developed beyond a few min mini-game. I feel like the better sandbox games do that these days and Spider-Man is coasting like a game from a decade ago in sandbox design.

Fwiw, I have zero issues with straight up collectibles on the map. Backpacks/Landmarks are fun just like getting feathers in AC or whatever. I like having little collectibles you grab while moving from one thing to another.

If Miles is more of the same, I may just buckle down and stick to the main story only in that one. Also for the DLCs for this game I might just do that as well. I'm just so burnt-out on the side stuff.

The side-stuff also pays shit xp and the main story missions give huge xp so it doesn't even seem like you're getting a big benefit outside the collection coins you need for suit unlocks, gadget/ability power-ups.

And people at launch seemed to complain a lot about the forced Miles/MJ stealth sections, but so far I have zero issue with them. They're super linear scripted & easy stealth bits with a nice budget and they're a fine diversion from the other three dozen mini-game scenarios.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35591 on: August 17, 2020, 03:51:17 PM »
That's literally what every open world game today is

1 story mission for every 50 dumb checkboxes for you to do

Ghost of Tsushima is the same way
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #35592 on: August 17, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »
Except MGS5 :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #35593 on: August 17, 2020, 04:17:01 PM »
I'm not disagreeing, but some are better than others.

RDR2 for instance still has a lot of shit to do, but it most of the quests and side stuff is a lot more developed/meaningful. Even the other stuff like fishing or challenges aren't like "30 of the same things across the map" and because they're a small amount of the time spent on side stuff compared to the meaningful stuff it works a lot better.

For all the Arkham comparisons my memories of Arkham games were that they did this better than Spider-Man. Detective investigations of murders and stuff (I actually enjoy the batmobile races too haha  :-X ). Spider-Man side activities are like "Go spray mist at birds & fish". Go fix cell towers. Maybe the problem is just that most of the Spider-Man side activities are boring stuff nobody cares about. Also a crime happening every 100 feet is a bit much.

Spider-Man is also missing the ambient type side activities that a lot of games have these days. Even Days Gone has those. It just feels like Spider-Man is a developers first or second attempt at a sandbox game (which it is), and they need another couple games to get caught up to modern sandbox design.

I'd rather Spider-Man be tracking investigations or something, but then again Spider-Man isn't a detective so much as just a guy that swings around to wherever loud bangs are and beats up badguys so idk. I still feel they could come up with better side activities.

Bebpo

« Reply #35594 on: August 17, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »
Like even without knowing anything about Watchdog's Legion's gameplay, I feel like that will nail the open-world collectible/side-activities stuff much better and be way more fun to clear the map because Ubisoft are pro at this after all this time. There's definitely skilled game design to make it work.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #35595 on: August 18, 2020, 03:53:33 AM »
Repetitive side stuff is only a problem when you're forced to do it, for crit. pathing (like the last two AC games and IIRC, Shadow of War).
They're not generlly designed to be done one after the other, but more of a diversion here and there, that said, like you said some games integrate them into the gameplay loop (and world) better than others.
Spiderman is particularly basic with this stuff, much like all Sony open world games though, they're all very "game-y" and honestly flat out dated, when it comes to this aspect.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35596 on: August 18, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
Beat Power Blade and Willow, now back to River City Ransom.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #35597 on: August 19, 2020, 12:10:11 AM »
Saved Axel for hard mode in SoR4. Not gonna lie, this is where some enemy patterns started to piss me off :hitler

Also went back to the DS for yet another game I missed, the first Crystal Chronicles sequel. It's pretty good, even though some of the touch screen stuff is becoming convoluted. I thought it was supposed to be bad, but I apparently just went by a bad review all these years. Game reminds me of Dragonball Origins.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35598 on: August 19, 2020, 02:02:57 AM »
Like even without knowing anything about Watchdog's Legion's gameplay, I feel like that will nail the open-world collectible/side-activities stuff much better and be way more fun to clear the map because Ubisoft are pro at this after all this time. There's definitely skilled game design to make it work.

I'm enjoying the heck out of Spider-Man, but I'd trade it for a new-to-me (fresh) replay of Watch_dogs 2 or WD Legion. I'm super hyped for it, though I'll miss San Francisco as a setting.

daycru

« Reply #35599 on: August 19, 2020, 07:35:13 AM »
My biggest problem with Spider-Man is it only has one song.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35600 on: August 19, 2020, 09:26:26 AM »
My biggest problem with Spider-Man is it only has one song.

It's just 40 hours of this:

©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35601 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »
Saved Axel for hard mode in SoR4. Not gonna lie, this is where some enemy patterns started to piss me off :hitler

Also went back to the DS for yet another game I missed, the first Crystal Chronicles sequel. It's pretty good, even though some of the touch screen stuff is becoming convoluted. I thought it was supposed to be bad, but I apparently just went by a bad review all these years. Game reminds me of Dragonball Origins.

The Crystal Chronicles DS games are kinda fun, nice puzzles and a speedy quest, but the framerate TANKS when there's a lot going on. I wouldn't mind remakes of them someday.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35602 on: August 19, 2020, 12:52:52 PM »
I'm glad I'm reading the Spider-Man DLCs add extra challenge tokens and base tokens, because I'm trying to unlock the last few suits and fuuuuck trying to gold medal these taskmaster challenges. Also they're really tight on the base tokens even doing the extra challenges. Though I hear where I'm at a new type of base is going to open up shortly so that'll probably fill it in. Base & Challenge tokens are the two types I'm low on for the last few suits and gadget upgrades.

Still bases suuuuck. They just take too long to get a measly 3 base tokens and they're all the same. I just put the difficulty down to easiest to try to blow through them as quick as possible with quad damage to get my tokens and move on.

Also there were way too many side missions about finding missing ESU college kids from their photograph locations. I don't even understand why those were side missions and not just a type of map activity since they were just the same mini-game of finding the location over and over.

I'm enjoying the heck out of Spider-Man, but I'd trade it for a new-to-me (fresh) replay of Watch_dogs 2 or WD Legion. I'm super hyped for it, though I'll miss San Francisco as a setting.

For sure. SF was amazing!

Bebpo

« Reply #35603 on: August 19, 2020, 09:05:10 PM »
Spider-Man

So I thought Mister Negative was the main bad and it was weird when that ended at 70% map completion. Just did the

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Raft breakout with Sinister Six and now the city is exploded and it feels like an Arkham game
[close]

Cool stuff from a fanservice perspective, but just kind of weird that it's happening so late in the game (I'm at 80% completion now with most of the side stuff done) vs this being the plot from the beginning. Feels like there's no way this part isn't going to be super rushed.

Bebpo

« Reply #35604 on: August 20, 2020, 01:45:43 AM »
The

Electro + Vulture
[close]

Boss fight was a pretty good fight. One of the better executions of a comic superhero boss fight.

kingv

« Reply #35605 on: August 20, 2020, 10:33:54 AM »
Spider-Man

So I thought Mister Negative was the main bad and it was weird when that ended at 70% map completion. Just did the

Raft breakout with Sinister Six and now the city is exploded and it feels like an Arkham game
[close]

Cool stuff from a fanservice perspective, but just kind of weird that it's happening so late in the game (I'm at 80% completion now with most of the side stuff done) vs this being the plot from the beginning. Feels like there's no way this part isn't going to be super rushed.

This is where I was saying the story picks up.

I think they should have put that part earlier in the game, but there’s still a decent amount of story after that.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #35606 on: August 20, 2020, 12:55:16 PM »
The

Electro + Vulture
[close]

Boss fight was a pretty good fight. One of the better executions of a comic superhero boss fight.

I really really liked this fight, much less scripted than the prior villain fights and closer to actual gameplay.  These superhero games really struggle to find a balance between "glorified QTE" and "boss summons 30 henchmen", but Spider-Man's mechanics are strong enough to support something more traditional and it's great when they go for it.

Bebpo

« Reply #35607 on: August 20, 2020, 04:43:47 PM »
The

Electro + Vulture
[close]

I really really liked this fight, much less scripted than the prior villain fights and closer to actual gameplay.  These superhero games really struggle to find a balance between "glorified QTE" and "boss summons 30 henchmen", but Spider-Man's mechanics are strong enough to support something more traditional and it's great when they go for it.

Yeah, this is exactly how I feel. It's hard to pull off the flashy scope of these kind of fights while not being scripted/QTE heavy. This was a good middle line.

The other thing I think the game does great is Insomniac bringing good writing/cutscene direction to it. Thinking back, even the Ratchet games have a fun Saturday morning cartoon feel that makes the cutscenes/writing pretty enjoyable. I don't really expect good likeable characters and writing out of a cape game, so some of the scenes are a nice surprise. I like the Martin Li stuff, the awkward separated Peter & MJ relationship (the bit where they're having angry couple talk through text is fantastic). I like Miles too, but while I get he's going to come into his own for his own game next, I feel like they really make him super wimpy at the start. Though I do like the age difference setup where Peter's Spider-Man is mid/late 20s Spider-Man dealing with grown up stuff and looking back on a decade of caping, whereas Miles represents the more HS younger fresh start era of Spider-Man/caping. Structurally it's well written.

Bebpo

« Reply #35608 on: August 21, 2020, 01:07:10 AM »
My goal for tonight is trying to beat Ripper Roo in Crash 1. I loaded up the game the other night and that was the next stage and the timing on the tnt boxes and his jumps was really annoying and I bailed in frustration (I beat the original like 20 years ago but don't remember any of this or have the same patience now). It's time for Ripper Roo to die.

Also doesn't help I need to farm lives because I have like 3 lives or something. I tried the new level Stormy Ascent and I got to the last checkpoint and ran out of lives  :'( looked up a video after and saw I was at the very end and felt both good & bad.

Looked up if there was a quick 99 lives cheat or something and there isn't and the life farm isn't until world 3 so yeah I need to just farm some lives in this game.

Bebpo

« Reply #35609 on: August 21, 2020, 01:13:34 AM »
Ok, beat him. That was less satisfying than I expected.

Bebpo

« Reply #35610 on: August 21, 2020, 02:22:38 AM »
Got like halfway through world 3. All these years later idk about this game (Crash 1). Sometimes it's hard to judge distance with depth toward/back that it basically feels like making jumps blind, especially since you have to commit 100% and the jump windows are pretty tight. I mean it's good they give you lots of lives and I've got like 20 now so it's been fine, but definitely annoying bits having to do with judging jump distances. The jumping also just doesn't feel as good as a lot of other platformers. At this point I'm just enjoying it enough to stick with it.

Like I mentioned, I never played Crash 2/3, probably because I didn't love 1 back in 1995 or whatever and now all these later with zero memories of the game, may be coming to the same opinion.

Still excited for Crash 4 because I feel like it'll be a bit more modern and fair in the visibility and jumping.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #35611 on: August 21, 2020, 05:02:50 AM »
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Completed main story
Completed Atlantis DLC
Completed Darius DLC

questions: is there any benefit of killing all mercs? any benefit for finishing the yellow ! quests?

or do i just tap out now. i've been popping in and out, because the loop is fun, until it's not.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35612 on: August 21, 2020, 05:41:31 AM »
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey

Completed main story
Completed Atlantis DLC
Completed Darius DLC

questions: is there any benefit of killing all mercs? any benefit for finishing the yellow ! quests?

or do i just tap out now. i've been popping in and out, because the loop is fun, until it's not.
Once you kill the highest Tier Merc you get some nice gear but I think they just randomly generate more mercs after that.
I don't think you can literally kill them all.

The yellow sidequests contain some of the best content in the game. Some are just pieces added to the main story, others are self-contained stories.
I highly recommend playing those.

I had an urge to play Breath of the Wild yesterday so I continued my slow run on Nintendo Switch.
This game is still remarkable and it is already 3 years old. The more you play the more little details and things you find that you didn't see the first time.
The first time I played, I went to the Zora's first, which is the default order of things, considering Kakariko is so close by. This time I went to the Rito Village.
This makes the run far more difficult considering the distance you have to travel and the enemies you encounter.
Still, this feels more right as a first area, considering the design is much more simplistic compared to Zora's domain and the province surrounding it.

There are a lot of cues in the game that basically summon you to do Zora first but other than that the order is all over the place.
So I think I'm sticking to the boss rush order:
Rito → Zora → Goron → Gerudo

or the loading screen:
Rito → Gerudo → Goron → Zora
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #35613 on: August 21, 2020, 05:34:24 PM »
Also looking back and maybe being less knowledgeable about the game industry in 1996, I never noticed until now that it seems pretty clear to me that Crash Bandicoot 1 (1996) was Naughty Dog basically trying to make a Donkey Kong Country (1994) clone in 3d. There's just so many similarities between the two games and their platforming style. DKC being much better tho.

Bebpo

« Reply #35614 on: August 22, 2020, 01:47:19 AM »
Beat The Last Door Season 2. Was solid, but not spectacular. A+ Edgar Allen Poe atmosphere (which is nice when everything Victorian horror is Lovecraft now), great art/music, but story/puzzles/pacing were pretty uneven and just ok overall. There was a puzzle so bad it has an entire guide on steam devoted to "the worst puzzle in the game".

Anyhow, wanted to play this and finish up The Last Door's story before sitting down and really getting into The Game Kitchen's follow up game Blasphemous. Will play that one sometime soon.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35615 on: August 22, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »
More Trials of Mana
Managed to get the first class change for my characters. I like the Light/Dark choices they got going and also the fact that you can still use your base costume if you want or if you don't like the new costume.
Difficulty goes up from this point forward. The boss I quit at is just a fuck you from the developers. Some type of door thing that spams wind attacks that blow you away, trap arrows from the floor, fire balls from its mouth and shape shifting enemies.
I haven't quite got the hang of the status effects.

More Breath of the Wild
After completing the first dungeon I went to find some more shrines and moved on to Lanaryu and Zora's Domain. I remember having a lot of trouble on Wii U with this part considering the rain caused slowdown in combination with the shock arrows and shock attacks. This is significantly easier now and I managed to get my way up to Zora's Domain pretty easily. Zora's Domain wouldn't look out of place in a Xenoblade game, so I guess this is one of the parts where Monolith helped out.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35616 on: August 22, 2020, 11:28:32 AM »
Last night I beat Willow (the second to last boss was pretty tough, required a hit and run strategy... and it took me a few tries to get the rhythm down, unfortunately there was a long ass unskippable cutscene right before him and by the time I figured out you could hold UP to make the text go faster, well that was the time I finally beat the game), catassed River City Ransom and beat that (it's easy if you get the triple punch, grind a bit to raise your punch stat... there's a super nice reference to another Technos game near the end), and started a replay of Simon's Quest (haven't beaten that game since I was a little kid) - I beat the first 2 mansions so far.

The final area theme is awesome in RCR:
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35617 on: August 22, 2020, 03:12:18 PM »
Crash 1 - Slippery Climb was pretty crap. It's actually fairly easy stage but that first checkpoint is like 70% through the level which is annoying and the biggest issue is the last jump in the bonus stage is so bullshit there are website pages dedicated to just THAT ONE JUMP. I tried that jump for 10 minutes straight using every advice I found and never made it and just moved on. The level is easy compared to that stupid fucking jump.

https://gameplay.tips/guides/6320-crash-bandicoot-n-sane-trilogy.html

Also the High Road was annoying until I accidentally discovered the walk on ropes trick and then it was a breeze.

I keep seeing things online when looking up about stupid levels in Crash 1 that the Crash series doesn't actually get good until Crash 2. Looking forward to that. This game is a little Masochistic if you're going for 100% (which fuck that I am not).

*edit* I'm raging so fucking hard on Dr. Nitrus Brio boss. The 2nd part as a hulk the jump viewpoint/distance is bullshit. I jump on his head and then somehow get hit bouncing off of the hit or I jump towards his head and get hit by his arm on the way to his head in mid-air. And have to do the slime part every.fucking.time. This is the worst shit ever. I'm giving it 10 more mins and then I'm gonna go find a fucking trainer.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:40:42 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #35618 on: August 22, 2020, 04:06:47 PM »
Crash 1 - Alright, beat the game. The final boss was a little annoying just being a bit trial & error, but only took a couple mins. I was expecting him to have a 2nd form since the Nitrus Brio fight was long af, but he didn't and then it was over. Goddamn I lost 20+ lives on that Nirtus Brio fight, took me longer than Stormy Ascent.

I think like 75% of Crash 1 is fine and fun platformer. But about 25% is just fucking difficulty spike bullshit. And what's annoying is the difficulty in this game usually doesn't come from actual platforming challenge but from not being able to judge distances properly or bullshit hitboxes or the game being unclear on what you're supposed to do. I said "What?" more than a few times when I had no idea wtf the game wanted me to do.

At its time Crash 1 was probably a something out of ten, who knows. By modern standards it's about a 7/10 game imo.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35619 on: August 22, 2020, 06:05:52 PM »
Naughty Dog's goal at the time was to make the most impressive 32-bit mascot platformer for the PlayStation and they succeeded.
But that also means that the games haven't aged well because they still mostly relied on 16-bit mechanics and game design.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #35620 on: August 23, 2020, 12:29:16 AM »
According to a guide I'm already in one of the final chapters of Crystal Chronicles DS after 6 hours. 8 hour JRPG :lawd And it doesn't even feel like it's lacking in story compared to several other JRPGs, let alone all these bloated games with pseudo RPG elements these days.

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #35621 on: August 23, 2020, 12:42:21 AM »
Playing modded Fallout New Vegas and every ENB (post processing effects pretty much) makes everything either super washed out or saturated  :lol

I think 2nd pic is as good as its gonna get

[close]

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35622 on: August 23, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »
Overdone post-processing was so maligned during the PS360 generation, and yet most ENB presets look even worse.

Svejk

« Reply #35623 on: August 23, 2020, 01:56:59 PM »
Tried ESO (Elder Scrolls Online) during the free weekend .. Not sure why I get suckered into MMORPG's from time to time, as they totally don't fit my gaming schedule.. but I kinda really liked what I played so far, so I ended up getting the base game on sale for $10 (PSN).  I was always hesitant on this game from the beginning because of stupid monthly subscriptions  :yuck , but I didn't realize they did away with them awhile back, so I jumped in.  (They have a VIP subscription, but not required to play)  As most MMOs of it's kind, it's pretty overwhelming with the UI etc., but it's still manageable.  Wanting to go a archer/dagger wielding assassin.  The gameplay felt wonky at first, but it started to grow on me.  It kinda feels like playing a Dragon Age game, which isn't a bad thing. 

kingv

« Reply #35624 on: August 23, 2020, 02:07:33 PM »
I finally beat slay the spire and unlocked the fourth character. Only took me like... a year.

Bebpo

« Reply #35625 on: August 23, 2020, 03:55:16 PM »
In FF14 you turn off other people’s attack effects.

kingv

« Reply #35626 on: August 23, 2020, 11:10:21 PM »
I finally beat slay the spire and unlocked the fourth character. Only took me like... a year.

Beating the heart sounds freaking impossible. Of course. I pretty much always take a card. That might be my problem 😂

Bebpo

« Reply #35627 on: August 23, 2020, 11:32:26 PM »
Beat the main game in Spider-Man. Pretty good stuff. The supervillain boss fights were all good, the Miles/MJ stealth bits were fun, I didn't mind the hacking mini-games. The story played out well and definitely felt on par with a Spider-Man movie. I thought a few things were undercooked  plot-wise is my only complaint. Like they didn't give Martin Li/Mister Negative enough of a backstory to justify his actions terrorist attacking the entire city for most of the game.

Also I think Peter/MJ got back together way too easily in the ending, I actually really liked the way the game handled them being separated. Made their dynamic more interesting.
[close]

Looking forward to the plotline they do with Miles in the next game and the setup stuff for

Norman/Harry
[close]

Makes me interested in Spider-Man 2.

Started on the DLCs and about midway through the first one and it's fine. Just more of the same but I like the characters and dialogue and I'll take some more stuff. I'm pretty over the random crimes though and skipping them in the DLCs. They're the only thing I didn't finish to get 100% in the main game because at least 15 crimes per section of the city it was just way too much and way too repetitive.

Bebpo

« Reply #35628 on: August 24, 2020, 01:44:22 AM »
Finished the first DLC and played a bit of the second. Good stuff, doesn't really feel any less quality than the main game imo, just more of the same, which is fine for DLC. I'm not going to go around and do 20+ crimes though for the 3rd suit in each of these tho.

Also speaking of suits, the vintage suit with the cell-shading & quip power looks amazing graphically.

It's also cool that the DLCs take place after the main game ending and actually develop and move the story further towards the next game.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 02:48:22 AM by Bebpo »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35629 on: August 24, 2020, 09:14:10 AM »
Beat all the 5 mansions in my replay of Simon's Quest, now ready to go defeat Dracula. You know, once you get beyond the obtuseness of the game (mitigated with a walkthrough or in my case, knowledge from childhood), it's pretty easy. The second mansion was the only time that the game posed any sort of challenge.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35630 on: August 24, 2020, 09:17:17 AM »
I started playing Hideo Kojima's magnum poopus, Norman Reedus Simulator. #MAGA :rejoice
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #35631 on: August 24, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »
The bad guys are Homo Demons.
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #35632 on: August 24, 2020, 01:21:21 PM »
The bad guys are Homo Demons.

Just like in real life  :blessup
Margs

Clockwork5

« Reply #35633 on: August 24, 2020, 04:40:39 PM »
Finally got around to playing Dead Cells. This game is sooo good. It’s probably the best feeling game I’ve played in years. The challenge is a bit harsh in the beginning before you start getting good weapons and extra potions but it hits a pretty good sweet spot. My only complaint is that the levels are so straightforward. And I get the procedurally generated levels can’t really be too tricky but idk the layouts seem a bit dull and repetitive. But that doesn’t matter so much when the gameplay and progression are S tier.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35634 on: August 24, 2020, 05:37:09 PM »

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35635 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »
beat Evil Within 2. Good ending, I liked what they did with the story, nice follow up from the first game. The game itself wasnt as good though. Am looking forward to running through on NG+ and just kicking some ass and getting OP.

Started Valkyria Chronicles 4 as I got it from the big Xbox sale with all DLC for 20 bucks. Yeah I love this series, its just so much fun

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35636 on: August 25, 2020, 07:21:58 AM »
Finally got around to playing Dead Cells. This game is sooo good. It’s probably the best feeling game I’ve played in years. The challenge is a bit harsh in the beginning before you start getting good weapons and extra potions but it hits a pretty good sweet spot. My only complaint is that the levels are so straightforward. And I get the procedurally generated levels can’t really be too tricky but idk the layouts seem a bit dull and repetitive. But that doesn’t matter so much when the gameplay and progression are S tier.

Use the Castlevania Ost mod!
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35637 on: August 25, 2020, 11:32:35 PM »
I did a playthrough of Rygar (NES) today. Fun stuff, but some of the music is grating. WTF is with the boss music?

^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35638 on: August 26, 2020, 03:57:15 AM »
Finished the Spider-Man DLCs

I never want to fight another group of enemies in Spider-Man again. Holy shit did the DLC go insane with the enemy marathon in the bases. Like 200 guys in a row each base, and then you have the screwball fight challenges which are enemy marathons and then the main story is a lot of enemy marathons and the entire thing just feels like nothing but fighting the same 4-5 enemy types in enemy marathons over and over and over and over and over and yeah I am burnt the fuck out.

The story stuff in the DLCs was pretty good, I actually thought the first DLC was the best because Black Cat >>>>>>>> Silver Sable >>>>>> Hammerhead/Captain Watanabe. Lots of good writing along the way, funny lines, great VA, good cutscenes. Enjoyed the story 100% and it was a pretty solid length expansion with all 3 combined.

Some of the side stuff that was not MORE BASES or the stupid screwball challenges was solid. I liked the hidden paintings side story in DLC1 (again why DLC1 was the best) and the story it told. The final audio recorder search in DLC3 was solid too and I guess setup for future game stuff.

Anyhow it's a very good game, but Insomniac needs to work on some design beyond just "fight a bunch of mobs" and the Miles game better not be tons of mob rushes like this, especially on the side stuff. Otherwise looking forward to the Miles game, especially for the story stuff and NYC at xmas.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35639 on: August 26, 2020, 04:20:54 AM »
I did a playthrough of Rygar (NES) today. Fun stuff, but some of the music is grating. WTF is with the boss music?

This game gave me nightmares as a kid
🤴