Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558320 times)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35820 on: October 27, 2020, 05:20:00 AM »
I don't think it's trying to be racist, it's definitely trying to celebrate the culture and not make fun of it, but it does play into stereotypes and the team was mostly/basically all white Canadians. They could've done better, but eh.

It's a great game like the first, but definitely ymmv on that. I think most people are ok with it, but some people find it offensive slightly. Like I've seen people jokingly call it racist metroidvania.

https://kotaku.com/im-mexican-am-i-supposed-to-be-offended-by-guacamelee-476018607

Don't make me go through my post history of why this is complete garbage. The lead concept guy is literally mexican.

Augusto Quijano was born in Merida, Mexico. He moved to Toronto where he graduated from Seneca College's animation program. Mr. Quijano is Concept Lead at DrinkBox Studios where he has worked on the award winning "Guacamelee!"

Edit: Here's an entire GDC talk about the making of the game.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020419/The-Art-of-Making-Guacamelee

« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 05:29:43 AM by HardcoreRetro »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35821 on: October 27, 2020, 09:32:30 AM »
Disc Room. Not bad but was hoping for more challenging goals in even the basic rooms. Even just longer time survival goals as many so far are things like 'survive 10 seconds' (despite it being trivial to for the first several zones), 'die to n type of discs'. I suppose they're counting on players wanting to beat leaderboards? That said it does reduce the barrier to progression so one doesn't feel stuck in any one particular room in the initial zones.

The boss rooms are more fun, particularly the 'Carnivorous Gatekeeper' room which forces longer play and during the second phase increases the challenge. They also mix things up with the timing of levels so it's not always a straight 'survive as long as you're alive' thing but can be things where only grabbing items increases the timer or only standing in a particular area. The player unlocks new abilities over time such as dash, slow time, clone and others which can be swapped between sessions and become increasingly necessary for various scenarios.

This looked kinda fun, though the video on the Steam page didn't really tell too much about the game... was thinking it was more like a Smash TV type game but it seems there are different challenges in each room?
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35822 on: October 27, 2020, 11:48:02 AM »
I beat Strider NES - I like how Capcom tried a Bionic Commando and re-worked the arcade game to a more nonlinear action platformer to play to the strengths of the NES, but this game was super jank. Jumping feels really weird - you'll jump way too quickly and if you're hugging a wall while you jump, it cuts your jump short. There's also a wall jump that's necessary in a few areas that's extremely difficult to pull off. The game feels buggy and glitchy, at this point Capcom already delivered classics like Mega Man and Bionic Commando so there's no use for this game's quality... feels very Micronics in its quality of programming.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35823 on: October 27, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »
I often see people talking how mexicans really embrace their stereotypes and dont find them offensive at all.

How it should be, shit is all in good fun
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35824 on: October 27, 2020, 01:06:30 PM »
I often see people talking how mexicans really embrace their stereotypes and dont find them offensive at all.

It's like when white people were offended by Mario wearing a sombrero and sarape in Mario Odyssey but actual Mexican people were really excited about it.
dog

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35825 on: October 27, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »

Yeah I cant really speak on racial stuff myself as I'm as white as a very white thing - but I can laugh at the stereotypes thrown at me being a New Zealander and a cis white millennial.

And yeah Guacamelee does definitely mean well.

The best thing I've got from the game so far is the idea of using grapefruit juice for guacamole! Very inspired! Being a kiwi I havent met very many real mexicans but the ones I have met are lovely people. I really dig mexican food and culture

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35826 on: October 27, 2020, 08:07:10 PM »

It's like when white people were offended by Mario wearing a sombrero and sarape in Mario Odyssey but actual Mexican people were really excited about it.

Do you mean white people or just reee morons
What

Coax

« Reply #35827 on: October 27, 2020, 11:05:06 PM »
This looked kinda fun, though the video on the Steam page didn't really tell too much about the game... was thinking it was more like a Smash TV type game but it seems there are different challenges in each room?

Basically each room has its own goal(s) which unlock subsequent rooms or a new ability. The gameplay itself for harder rooms could be described as bullet hell lite (since the saw discs are larger they fill more playable area but the abilities offset this).

After the earlier post above I found some of the latter rooms' goals were to survive longer in all previous rooms so my criticism was kinda addressed in that way. A couple rooms, including one called Lobotomy, are notoriously difficult though and some recommend not even bothering (I managed to get 10 seconds worth of items but late-game you need 20s to unlock a room).

There are around 50 rooms total afaict.

Late edit: power outage blip while playing caused the save file to be reset after getting to the end and unlocking hard mode :doge Wouldn't have been a problem had I been on my other system with the UPS and daily backups.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:03:30 AM by Coax »

Bebpo

« Reply #35828 on: October 28, 2020, 12:15:44 AM »
Forza 7 sure is a nice looking game. The cars are good, but not great, but the environment/track art is crazy good. Time of day shifts & effects are really impressive.

It's also the first racing game I've ever played where it looks worse in replays (locked 30fps, no real visual improvements, awful ai replay camera) than it looks racing in-game.

Also the photo mode interface is fucking terrible. Man I miss Project Gotham Racing and easy screenshots.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35829 on: October 28, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »
Forza 7 sure is a nice looking game. The cars are good, but not great, but the environment/track art is crazy good. Time of day shifts & effects are really impressive.

It's also the first racing game I've ever played where it looks worse in replays (locked 30fps, no real visual improvements, awful ai replay camera) than it looks racing in-game.

Also the photo mode interface is fucking terrible. Man I miss Project Gotham Racing and easy screenshots.

Bepbo have you tried Forza Horizon 3 or 4 yet? Wonderful racers.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35830 on: October 28, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »

Bepbo have you tried Forza Horizon 3 or 4 yet? Wonderful racers.

Yeah, I played through Horizon 3/4. Great games.

Better playing games than Forza 7, but I think F7 beats them in visuals. Not having an open world really let them go crazy with visuals. Most next-gen looking racer I've seen.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35831 on: October 28, 2020, 05:23:43 PM »
Yea I dont get why F7 isnt on Gamepass PC, I mean its not is it?
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35832 on: October 28, 2020, 05:50:53 PM »
Yea I dont get why F7 isnt on Gamepass PC, I mean its not is it?

It is...that's why I'm playing it atm lol

They added it last week or the week before that. It's like 120 or 150gb though.

Bebpo

« Reply #35833 on: October 28, 2020, 07:53:28 PM »
Went down the rabbit hole of trying random games in your steam backlog list and tried 100% Orange Juice (worst.name.ever)

At first I had no idea wtf the was going on. But instead of giving up at that point I watched a youtube review of the game and understood the basic mechanics. Then tried again and got it. Made it through a coupe of wins and intense loss in 2nd place where was 1 turn away from winning.

My thoughts are this is a pretty great board game concept, there's also a ton of content with all the characters and boards. There's some really neat modifiers like the boards where you randomly go backwards for a turn. But this is also like waaaaaaaay more RNG heavy than almost anything I've played. If you get frustrated by games easily, this is not a good game for you when you keep getting shitty rolls and go from first to last place at the last minute. If you can deal with the RNG and have friends to play against this seems great.

I also tried Ace of Seafood and had no idea what was going on and was very confused and watched a youtube review afterwards. Will give it another try. Died on my first fish fight :(

Bebpo

« Reply #35834 on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:43 PM »

Ok, got the hang of Ace of Seafood. You go base to base and kill enemies to get their DNA to be able to build them and either play as them or add them to your team. It's pretty impressive how every unit has a unique set of moves and formations. Got about 10 bases in and got my Yamato battleships with torpedos and ehhhh, if this game had better controls & camera I'd probably play it all the way through because the Katamari style of start with a sardine and keep growing and growing until you are a giant squid taking down spaceships is amusing, but the controls are sooooooooo bad. It wants to play like Zone of the Enders but no, not even close. Pretty sure I got this in a bundle and it was a $1 tier game. Seems about right.

Bebpo

« Reply #35835 on: October 29, 2020, 03:56:02 AM »
So I was reading the forums on Ace of Seafood and it was funny to see they are the same devs that just put out Fight Crab. I mean it makes sense thematically, but just Fight Crab looked like a way more polished game than Ace of Seafood which is like a Simple 2000 PS2 game. Anyhow added Fight Crab to my wishlist to pick up for cheap at some point because Ace of Seafood is actually alright outside camera/controls.

Just finished Amnesia Rebirth - Yikes, I thought the first half was really good. It was similar themed the horror movie Under the Shadow and kinda a mix between Lovecraftian and Middle Eastern/Arabian folklore which was cool and creepy! The second half gets really generic sci-fi and gets way too generic stealth gameplay and confusing puzzles. I just found the last couple hours pretty tedious and just wanted it to be over. I think it's Frictional Games' worst by far and I'd rank it pretty below The Chinese Room's A Machine For Pigs which I liked a lot. If they spend a couple years on their next game hopefully they come up with something more original.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35836 on: October 29, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »
I bought the Limited Run of Ace of Seafood because I thought the concept was neat and original, but couldn't get past the jankiness and didn't make it very far.
^_^

« Reply #35837 on: October 29, 2020, 03:57:08 PM »
because i can't play no more heroes with all my drifting controllers, went back to p5 royal. had to jump back 2 months to do some specific thing to unlock the third semester, but now i'm back to mid-november. finally things are happening again. dungeons 5 and 6 needed to be half the length. its really stupid. they come up with some nice ideas and then run them into the ground.

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #35838 on: October 29, 2020, 09:26:12 PM »
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

From the Legend of Grimrock devs, it's a tactical RPG that takes inspiration from Into the Breach (you can't miss or get critical hits, battles can become very puzzle-like). I like it way more than Into the Breach though. There is enough randomness to keep it interesting while not too much that you can't plan complicated maneuvers in advance. And the skillsets for each character allow for fun combos. On the hardest setting the decisions on what skills/gear to get are meaningful, allowing you to min/max without totally destroying game balance. Well, for most of the game at least, I'm near the end and it has gotten too easy. Still, great game!

Bebpo

« Reply #35839 on: October 30, 2020, 03:37:51 AM »
Got to world 4 in Crash Bandicoot 2 now. It's pretty good, but I don't know if it's a lot better than the first game. Like it feels pretty much the same but a bit easier. They add the slide dash but at least for me the motion of button a->b to slide dash for the extra distance/height never feels smooth so I don't really like the slide dash stuff.

The polar bear stages are kinda a pain on the light tap jump small jumps, but otherwise they're pretty fun. Boss fights seem better than the first game definitely.

I don't really understand how the secrets and warp portals and stuff work. I feel like if I tried to do all that and get 100% completion on some of these stages I'd get more out of them than just running through one after another and blitzing through this game.

At some point I will finish 2 & 3 and pick up 4. I picked up Crash 2 like once a week or two and play through a world and then put it down again. I don't think it's super compelling, but it is pretty solid fun. Like maybe an 8/10 so far.

« Reply #35840 on: October 30, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
nearing palace 7 in persona 5 royal. theres like 2 hours of cutscenes after the 6th palace boss, it's crazy. they explain and re-explain the brilliant plan over and over like damn, i get it. anyways, i don't know why i am anticipating palace 7, its by far the worst in the game. i just want to get to the new content.

Yulwei

« Reply #35841 on: October 30, 2020, 10:21:45 AM »
Tried that new Zelda warriors demo. Game itself seemed fun but the low framerate and low resolution killed it for me. It's kinda hard for me to play Switch games nowadays. If the Switch Pro runs these games at 4k then I'll come back to my switch library and give it another go.

Bebpo

« Reply #35842 on: October 31, 2020, 02:35:53 AM »
Beat Crash Bandicoot 2.

Weird game. Was fun, but nothing special and really, really short and much easier than the first game. Felt so short for a full length platformer because you'd clear most stages on the first try. Bosses still sucked, new mechanics like slide jump and jetpack weren't particularly fun or good. Idk, as much as I think Crash 1 kinda is frustrating and sucky I think I liked it more because it made my hands sweat and was satisfying clearing some of those stages.

Maybe 3 will hit the sweet spot for me. Or 4.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35843 on: November 01, 2020, 01:12:03 AM »
IIRC Crash 3 is the best PS1 game and the last one by Naughty Dog.

Bebpo

« Reply #35844 on: November 01, 2020, 01:14:24 AM »
Tried Phasmophobia with a friend. Both first timers. Played about 5 runs over a couple hours.

This is actually really good ghost hunting game. Feels pretty similar to the ghost hunting movies/shows. Took a while to get the hang, but kept getting better. Watching some vids now on how to use certain items and we were totally using some wrong haha.

Also this game is scary af because you can't see shit. Like lowest visibility ever in a game. So when stuff appears it's good jumps. I'm usually not into multiplayer stuff, but this seems cool. Would've been fun to have more people but no one else showed.

And there is no fucking way I play this in VR.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35845 on: November 01, 2020, 02:37:26 AM »
Crash 3 is way too gimmick heavy. I think of the first five levels, only two are actually platforming.  :brain The best Crash game and Naughy Dog game is Crash Team Racing.

Coax

« Reply #35846 on: November 01, 2020, 07:55:11 AM »
Went back to complete my years-old Dishonored 2 new game+ high chaos playthrough with the GOG version now and the RTX 3080 on ultra. Turns out also a nice 'Mission+' feature once locked behind Bethesda.net is now available to everyone which allows replaying any mission with all unlocked powers/bonecharms/blueprints and customizable enemy behavior.

No doubt one of the best visually designed games of the last decade. Playing as low chaos in a more fully stealth-based way was far more enjoyable imo and I'd say playing the first time is the best since part of the enjoyment comes from discovering the various pathways and soaking in the atmosphere.

The thoughtful cohesiveness, lived-in environments, unique product designs, the coven's taste in locations to occupy :noah

Shame it ran poorly on release and the standalone expansion was only so-so (mostly a more linear re-hash of previous areas but with some standout parts) which contributed to the series not being resurrected  :-\

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35847 on: November 01, 2020, 08:46:23 AM »
The architecture in the game is gorgeous.

Fully stealth in this one took some adjustment. Since it's so vertical, the streets are basically lava.

« Reply #35848 on: November 01, 2020, 10:11:07 AM »
Persona 5 Royal finished. Total playtime was about 75 hours because I was skipping all old content and doing dungeons in a single day. This game should have just been DLC for the end, why did they make me play the whole thing again when the new content was like 5% sprinkled through the main campaign and 95% endgame. I mostly liked it though. It's still a very bloated and poorly paced game, but the writing and overall direction of the third semester is pretty good. Hope the new director is the one in charge of Persona 6. Atlus please give us Persona 5 Scramble.

Next up: Nioh 2 and No More Heroes 2

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35849 on: November 01, 2020, 08:12:39 PM »

Svejk

« Reply #35850 on: November 01, 2020, 09:01:41 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

great screenshots and nice headcrab

(Image removed from quote.)
My initial thought of what a headcrab is, is a stool specifically designed for people to sit on when giving head.  :doge

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35851 on: November 01, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
it can be whatever you want it to be

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1323084927261396992

Inshallah. Think it is time to play through the best horror game ever again soon

Bebpo

« Reply #35852 on: November 01, 2020, 10:16:19 PM »
oh god, just did a 5-6 hour item world run in Disgaea 5 and wasted all day. Forgot how addicting the item world rogue dungeons are in this series.

On the plus side I basically doubled everyone's levels/stats so I'm probably set for most of the remaining story maps now.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35853 on: November 01, 2020, 10:53:16 PM »
Started playing Paradise Killer today and it's really fantastic. A laid-back murder-mystery adventure game with a jazzy synth soundtrack and vaporwave visuals. You roam around this weird island full of weirdos trying to find clues and talking to people to uncover motives and find holes in alibis. I've barely even been talking to people for the 5 hours or so I've played, it's so much fun just to explore and delve into the lore of this place.

Also on Steam and currently on sale for $16.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #35854 on: November 01, 2020, 11:37:29 PM »
Yeah, liked the demo for it. Will grab it at some point for sure. I dig the very colorful world. Plus gods, gods are always fun.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #35855 on: November 02, 2020, 08:35:23 AM »
that silent hill 2 fan patch even includes ultra wide. very nice

Freyj

« Reply #35856 on: November 02, 2020, 11:22:52 AM »
Cold Steel IV plays with the levers on the battle system in really irritating ways. I’m also very tired of the Break system and am missing the Sky / CB combat.

@Bebpo does Hajimari mix up anything combat wise? Calvard ARPG looking very appealing.

Bebpo

« Reply #35857 on: November 02, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
Cold Steel IV plays with the levers on the battle system in really irritating ways. I’m also very tired of the Break system and am missing the Sky / CB combat.

@Bebpo does Hajimari mix up anything combat wise? Calvard ARPG looking very appealing.

It adds a "Valiant charge" system which uses those purple charges that you get from breaking barrels. You can do a Persona 3/4/5 style everyone attacks at once w/2d-cutin attack using that which also adds various buffs to your party after and bumps your BP by 3 points so you can work it into your order usage strategy.

Basically it just breaks it even further since you can abuse orders even more. But bosses are built for that so they're all kinds of bullshit that you just have to cheese around. There are ways to basically get like 20 turns (or maybe near-infinite) in a row before the enemy can act using orders that instantly up everyone to the top of turn order and use 5 BP and then use a charge to boost it back to 3 BP and then get 2 criticals to get back to 5 BP -> repeat, etc...

I don't think the combat system is any better though to answer your question. Too many sub-systems, too many characters, it's just way out of whack to have any semblance of balance and satisfaction and basically all comes down to flipping around difficulty settings to buff/debuff enemies/bosses to where it is somewhat satisfying to fight them.

The Sky/Crossbell games were definitely better battle systems though Ao got pretty broken by the end with their card system which were essential precursor to orders.

And yeah, I'm ok with a shakeup of the battle system next arc. Mostly in these games for the story/characters/exploration/music. As long as the battle system has some depth and satisfaction I'll be happy.

Bebpo

« Reply #35858 on: November 02, 2020, 04:55:21 PM »
Damn, DQXI S demo is pretty nice on PC. It's unfortunate it loses the CG movie quality shader look that really blew me away at release, but playing at smooth 144fps, running with the RT, party talk, voice acting, zero load times, orchestra music, super fast battles...yeah, this feels hella nice.

Glad this is free on Game Pass since already bought this twice at full price on PS4 and Switch. While portable is definitely nice, visually this is an insane improvement over the switch version, so finally will sit down and play through the entire thing when the PC version is out in a month. Will be nice to finally get pass where I left off in the PC version around 30 hours in at the seaside town. It's been long enough I don't mind just playing from start, I barely remember anything as is and with running and speed battle mode should be able to get back there in half the time. Never got around to playing the Switch version at all, oh well.

Visually the flat lighting makes the game look more like DQVIII's art style, which is fine and works. I do wonder if SE doesn't have them ground up remake the game again for PS5/XSX in another 1-2 years with the original visual style + added improvements put back in to re-sell a final definitive edition. But eh, at this point I'm ready to just beat the game and enjoy it and move on until DQXII.

Hopefully as long as DQXII is aiming at Switch 2 hardware it should look really nice.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 05:03:21 PM by Bebpo »

daycru

« Reply #35859 on: November 02, 2020, 05:26:25 PM »
No More Heroes is still such a great game.

Forza Horizon 4 is the ultimate podcast game, endless icons and waypoints. Hyped to play it on XSX.

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #35860 on: November 03, 2020, 12:04:00 AM »
i came home to find a package on my doorstep. it was deadly premonition 2.
i cant even remember ordering it. has it been patched/fixed yet?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #35861 on: November 03, 2020, 10:36:02 AM »
It's been patched, whether it's been fixed or not is up to you to decide.
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35862 on: November 03, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
it runs at a silky smooth 14fps now instead of the 7fps it ran at before :lol
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35863 on: November 03, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »
Best game this year.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35864 on: November 03, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »
Nah DP2 is wack, Swery just can't hit those highs anymore

Should have made D4 Part 2 instead
fat

daycru

« Reply #35865 on: November 03, 2020, 03:29:27 PM »
Nah DP2 is wack, Swery just can't hit those highs anymore

Should have made D4 Part 2 instead
I paid $50 for DP 2 and $120 for three years of Game Pass Ultimate. What a world.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #35866 on: November 03, 2020, 06:07:34 PM »
Swery should pitch for D4 Part 2 on GamePass
fat

kingv

« Reply #35867 on: November 04, 2020, 01:41:23 PM »
Druidstone: The Secret of the Menhir Forest

From the Legend of Grimrock devs, it's a tactical RPG that takes inspiration from Into the Breach (you can't miss or get critical hits, battles can become very puzzle-like). I like it way more than Into the Breach though. There is enough randomness to keep it interesting while not too much that you can't plan complicated maneuvers in advance. And the skillsets for each character allow for fun combos. On the hardest setting the decisions on what skills/gear to get are meaningful, allowing you to min/max without totally destroying game balance. Well, for most of the game at least, I'm near the end and it has gotten too easy. Still, great game!

I played the heck out of into the breach and might need tm check this out.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #35868 on: November 06, 2020, 10:45:39 AM »
been playing watch dogs legion, its pretty fun but also a fucking mess. the screen tearing in particular burns my soul :jeanluc

(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #35869 on: November 07, 2020, 02:58:06 AM »
Almost done with the DQXI S PC demo. Man, I forgot what a good game this is. Although I've only played like 25% of it in my previous playthrough, it definitely feels like probably the best jrpg of last generation. I can't think of anything better?

Like I could be playing other stuff right now for the first time, but replaying DQXI is more engaging currently. Though it's too easy early on and I wish you could bump the difficulty just at the first 10-20 hours.

*edit* ok finished the demo. 10 hours lol, finished it in 5 hours on the dot. Still a great length for a demo, but now time to take a break on it until Dec 3rd when it hits game pass.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 03:55:57 AM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #35870 on: November 07, 2020, 03:01:41 AM »
been playing watch dogs legion, its pretty fun but also a fucking mess. the screen tearing in particular burns my soul :jeanluc

I love Watchdogs 2 and I like London as a city map. I really want to pick this up, but I also keep hearing it's a really bad shallow game that you can tell was meant to be a much deeper and strategic game (like the early demos had rpg-like stats for the different characters) but AAA committee made them make it as bland as possible.

Probably the most back and forth I've gone on picking up a game this year. I really want it, but I also don't really want to play a bad boring game in a nice looking city map.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #35871 on: November 07, 2020, 03:32:28 AM »
Wait a month or two for a price drop we my advice
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #35872 on: November 07, 2020, 11:20:52 PM »
Was starting to go through some of this month's humble bundle games and played a few hours of Darkwood top-down eastern-europe survival/crafting horror game with similarities to like Stalker x Silent Hill x Survival/Crafting game.

I like it, but it's pretty slooooooooooooooooooow. Stamina drains so fast just moving around and limited inventory makes exploration kinda a drag once you get further out from your base. Combat is also clunky as hell as is the inv management interface. But if you can deal with that, the concept is pretty cool and the design is neat horror.

When I read the map was randomly generated I was thinking it was like each day the map is different, but no it means each playthrough the map is, so the map is giant and the game is basically exploring further and further out as your craft stronger gear and learn character skills while surviving each night which gets tougher? Interesting game. But I probably don't have the patience to play any further when I've got lots of other stuff to play.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35873 on: November 08, 2020, 04:04:40 AM »

I love Watchdogs 2 and I like London as a city map. I really want to pick this up, but I also keep hearing it's a really bad shallow game that you can tell was meant to be a much deeper and strategic game (like the early demos had rpg-like stats for the different characters) but AAA committee made them make it as bland as possible.

Probably the most back and forth I've gone on picking up a game this year. I really want it, but I also don't really want to play a bad boring game in a nice looking city map.

it's a really bad shallow game

Oh jeesh, are you talking about Ubisoft games here? Say it aint true

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #35874 on: November 08, 2020, 04:21:12 AM »
(ice)

Bebpo

« Reply #35875 on: November 08, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
Wait a month or two for a price drop we my advice

So someone reminded me that Ubisoft has their own subscription service for $15/month. So subbed for 1 month and installing Legion & the new Trackmania and Anno 1800 now  8)

Hamarr

« Reply #35876 on: November 08, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »
I probably should have waited for a price drop on Watch Dogs Legion.  I’m having fun with the typical collection stuff but the story is pretty meh.  The story would have been more engaging with a central character.    I usually listen to podcasts or a book or something with Ubisoft games anyway, so maybe it doesn’t really matter.

The classes so far don’t seem to be that different but maybe the story will get me to some more interesting characters.  I end up mostly using the same setup no matter who I pick, anyway. 

I’ll probably pick up Valhalla during the Black Friday sale.  I have barely touched Odyssey so I could revisit that one some more first.

I’ve also been playing more FH4 and Forza 7. 

Bebpo

« Reply #35877 on: November 09, 2020, 12:24:48 AM »
Played a couple hours of Watchdogs Legion and had a miserable time.

Lots of bugs, framerate shitty when driving, stealth controls & vision messy. Failed a bunch of missions 20-30 mins in that had me driving across the entire map on the last checkpoint to recruit someone and just lose the mission entirely because something bugged. Man, fuck this game. Glad I didn't buy it.

Hamarr

« Reply #35878 on: November 09, 2020, 12:37:27 AM »
What platform were you playing on?  I’m on Xbox and haven’t noticed too many bugs so far.  I did have to restart a mission because an npc I was supposed to talk to glitched and started running away from me.

There are some annoying things like how relentless Albion can be and how many drones catch you when you are trying to get away.  I had an issue with that during a mission where I need to steal an Albion vehicle.  In the first Watch Dogs I just started blowing up the street and murdering cops.  It was a lot easier than running away.

I’m kind of doing a run and gun approach this time.  I usually try to stealth but there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of consequences for shooting everyone. I have only failed one mission so far playing that way.  I accidentally blew up a van full of medicine I was supposed to steal for a recruit with a nearby trap.

Bebpo

« Reply #35879 on: November 09, 2020, 12:44:41 AM »
Playing it on PC.

Yeah, I probably should just shoot stuff. Been trying to stealth it but it's so easy to get spotted and then blow the whole thing.