Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 3558829 times)

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #35880 on: November 09, 2020, 06:41:31 PM »
started control. it's alright so far, but not really blowing my mind. it looks pretty good sometimes though

« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 09:10:50 PM by Mr Gilhaney »

Freyj

« Reply #35881 on: November 10, 2020, 12:59:20 AM »
Cold Steel IV

This game’s trope of choice is time jumping a day or few hours even and then immediately having a character mention some event you haven’t seen yet and then immediately flashing back a few hours to show the event. I don’t get it.

The roster is way too big and the characters keep coming and going making Orbment and Accessories a complete mess to care about. Other than that it’s basically a messier CS2 to CS3’s CS1 so far. Some unnecessary drawn out stuff that could be cleaned for sure.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35882 on: November 10, 2020, 03:29:07 AM »
Played a couple hours of Watchdogs Legion and had a miserable time.

Lots of bugs, framerate shitty when driving, stealth controls & vision messy. Failed a bunch of missions 20-30 mins in that had me driving across the entire map on the last checkpoint to recruit someone and just lose the mission entirely because something bugged. Man, fuck this game. Glad I didn't buy it.

Im sorry to hear that man. I told you.
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35883 on: November 10, 2020, 03:30:20 AM »
Played some AC Valhalla on Uplay+

Not bad. The music is the highlight for sure. Real awesome they got Jesper Kyd back on this. Visually it actually looks pretty nice. Looks a lot more detailed and better character models than Origins. Combat could be ok? Seems to have a little more depth than Origins and equipment has more skills, armor sets, etc.. which is cool. I know Odyssey added a bunch of rpg elements so maybe this was all from that.

On PC at 1440p on a 2080ti on very high settings was running ehhhh, somewhere between 30-50fps. Actually interested to see how the PS5/XSX versions look if they can pull a locked 60fps/4k.

Anyhow, good first impression, has me interested in playing it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35884 on: November 10, 2020, 03:40:54 AM »
Played some AC Valhalla on Uplay+

Not bad. The music is the highlight for sure. Real awesome they got Jesper Kyd back on this. Visually it actually looks pretty nice. Looks a lot more detailed and better character models than Origins. Combat could be ok? Seems to have a little more depth than Origins and equipment has more skills, armor sets, etc.. which is cool. I know Odyssey added a bunch of rpg elements so maybe this was all from that.

On PC at 1440p on a 2080ti on very high settings was running ehhhh, somewhere between 30-50fps. Actually interested to see how the PS5/XSX versions look if they can pull a locked 60fps/4k.

Anyhow, good first impression, has me interested in playing it.

I read optimization on PC is once again terrible, since it even requires a 4GB VRAM you cant even play it with lesser cards (I assume?)

Kyd being back is pretty awesome though

Terrible..terrible. game isnt even a looker.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:50:15 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35885 on: November 10, 2020, 06:14:08 AM »
Nvidia released a new driver today, that might help AC a bit.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35886 on: November 10, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »
Some guy offered me $100 to write a walkthrough of an old game I made in my HS days so I was playing that.
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35887 on: November 10, 2020, 10:44:53 AM »
In AC Odyssey, volumetric clouds tanked performance hard. I assume it does in Valhalla as well.

Bebpo

« Reply #35888 on: November 11, 2020, 12:17:25 AM »

Played some more Watchdogs Legion and made some progress and got some recruits. The game is just...kind of boring. There's so little to do in the city in terms of side stuff. It feels really undercooked. It's basically just driving packages missions, doing the couple of different city unlock missions, and then collecting tech points/text logs/audio logs/relic collectibles at restricted areas and then main missions and recruit missions which are basically just doing something in a random restricted area. Then there's a fight arena and a couple mini-games like darts/kickball and that seems to be about it. WD2 had drone races and stuff.

Also I think making it this futuristic occupation version of London so you don't even get to GTA in modern London and explore the sights and sim around was a huge mistake. Just makes the city a lot less interesting. I prefer London map in AC Syndicate to this.

Lots of weird little mistakes too. Like photo mode doesn't have a hide UI button before you take a photo? Wat? No mp3 player to listen to the soundtrack outside vehicles?

*edit* actually starting to get in the groove with this. Having some good full stealth runs on various base buildings and it's fun when you're pulling those off. Still doesn't change my thoughts on the game, but I may end up liking it enough to finish it during my $15 uplay+ rental month.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 05:32:24 AM by Bebpo »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #35889 on: November 11, 2020, 09:34:28 AM »
I like it as a podcast/spotify game tbh, you can just roll and get into a groove doing recruitment or area takeover missions and shit without thinking too hard about it or listen to the dialogue. The music selection is pretty :poop too so I'm not missing out on anything there.
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35890 on: November 11, 2020, 09:49:24 AM »
Sounds like the perfect game for a 5€ sale
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35891 on: November 12, 2020, 04:11:38 AM »
I'm sorta enjoying Watchdogs Legion but my god it's one of the worst looking modern videogames I've ever seen.

Somehow they made it looks worse than Watchdogs 2. I think their engine is broken.

[

I took this in photo mode. This looks like a Wii game.

This is a better looking screen but it's still ass

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35892 on: November 12, 2020, 02:54:34 PM »
Or maybe they just did a really great job of capturing the dull drabness of metropolitan London.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35893 on: November 12, 2020, 03:11:56 PM »
There's a secret cult of game developers who only come out during console launches to design the most tacky garish video games and plaster them with post processing effects 
🤴

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #35894 on: November 12, 2020, 06:30:07 PM »
There's a secret cult of game developers who only come out during console launches to design the most tacky garish video games and plaster them with post processing effects

:iface

Bebpo

« Reply #35895 on: November 13, 2020, 12:47:33 AM »
I'm finding I can kinda fix the image quality in Watchdogs 3 pc by butchering it up with a sharpness filter. Normally I'm against over-sharpening but when everything more than 5 feet away is a soft blurry low res mess, I'll take the made up extra pixels the sharpening filter adds.

https://i.imgur.com/7h6Uphx.jpg

Like this looks pretty solid because for the most part you can't see more than about 10 feet out.

https://i.imgur.com/FeNCxgs.jpg

But then you get stuff like this where the car and area around the car are sharp but once you get past that everything is low detail. Still sharpness is helping. Will use it for the rest of the game.

paprikastaude

« Reply #35896 on: November 13, 2020, 08:40:18 AM »
Crash 4 - somehow they brought back some of the perspective issues that I thought were fixed after the first game.  :doge

Apart from that, this is great. Can't believe there's a AAA hardcore 3D platformer these days, not to mention an Activision game whose difficulty has absolutely no mercy for its players.  :-* But then again, they also funded Sekiro :thinking

Don't give a shit what they do with CoD microtransactions and whatever, Activision was fucking awesome this gen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 11:36:37 AM by Spieler1 »

Coffee Dog

« Reply #35897 on: November 13, 2020, 11:23:29 AM »
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - I'll probably have a better opinion once I beat it, but "more Spider-Man" isn't a bad thing, though it has some problems the original doesn't. I feel like I'm coming up on the end, and if so the game needs another act. I don't like that they made so many more web resistant enemies to prop up Miles' electric moves. I'm Spider-Man, I'm going to want to try to feel like Spider-Man when I fight, not solely shooting lightning out my ass to blow off the enemy's shield or whatever. While the improvements to stealth make clearing enemy bases more fun, enemy bases are once again the only major side content besides VR challenges and collectibles.

More than anything I'm bummed for Miles because I do like the character from the time I've spent with him and he deserved a full sequel. It just doesn't feel like anything other than a bite sized dlc episode when they're so stingy about using actual Spider-Man villains. Though I had a problem with the original game's use of villains (it seemed like Spidey spent his whole 8 year career just webbing up muggers), it knew to throw you a couple bones like Mr Negative, Shocker, and Taskmaster over the course of the game. You really need to let three or four of them run loose just so that you can feel like you're actually doing something before the climax hits. I'm going to web up my first major villain and the credits are going to roll. It makes the length a bigger problem than it needed to be, to the point that I'd say it deserves the budget price.

Other than that though, it's Spider-Man with better swinging, better stealth, better graphics, great music, and you have an anime airdash. An easy recommend to anyone who enjoyed the original.

Edit: Beat it. It turns out I was literally 15 minutes from the end so my opinion is unchanged. Game chugs on base PS4 during setpieces.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 01:17:46 AM by Coffee Dog »

paprikastaude

« Reply #35898 on: November 14, 2020, 05:49:04 AM »
Really enjoying most of the new gameplay in Crash 4, particularly playing the crocodile. Feels like Mario Sunshine mixed with Luigi's Mansion. Some of the other things like invert powers aren't particularly new, but still are cool, because they made so many challenging parts out of it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35899 on: November 14, 2020, 11:32:24 AM »
COD BLACK OPS  :salute

But I can just smell my CPU bottleneck :notlikethis
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35900 on: November 14, 2020, 05:44:39 PM »
Played some Looney Tunes, Tiny Toons games - the second NES Tiny Toons game, Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout, and the Game Boy Looney Tunes game by Sunsoft.

Tiny Toons 2 NES - ehhh, it kinda feels like the Magic Kingdom game for NES, it's got 4 stages based on amusement park rides, some of them are a bit gimmicky. The original NES Tiny Toons is a more standard, Mario 3-esque platformer and definitely a more enjoyable game.

Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout - I finished this game but it was kinda jank. The game feels like you're playing on an emulator with frameskip enabled (I'm playing on an NES hooked up to an OSSC and an OLED)

Looney Tunes Game Boy - Probably the most polished game, it's got 7 levels each of which you play as a different character and it mixes up gameplay styles a bit. Daffy, Tweety, Porky Pig, Taz, Speedy Gonzales, Roadrunner, and finally Bugs. Some of the stages are super tough (Speedy's level since his control is very loose and quick, and also the Coyote battle with the Roadrunner) but I prevailed.

Also watched my friend play Buster Busts Loose on SNES... While I prefer Looney Tunes to Disney, they kinda got the short end of the stick when it comes to games.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #35901 on: November 14, 2020, 10:28:49 PM »
I finally fucking figured out the problem with Watchdogs Legion PC looking like ass.

Now I like this game.

Photos incoming.

Bebpo

« Reply #35902 on: November 14, 2020, 10:47:28 PM »
Ok, so I think 1440p or the TAA solution at 1440p is bugged out. Even without DLSS it always looks like pixelated low res junk and jaggy. Even maxed out and in photo mode. (just gonna post two photos in thumbnail but rest in spoilers as full-size direct links since you can't embed photos in spoiler tag?)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 11:22:56 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #35903 on: November 14, 2020, 10:53:00 PM »
So the solution was I tried 4k resolution even though I'm using a 1440p monitor, suddenly it looked sharp and clean and really good...and ran about 5 fps. But thanks to DLSS can get it to about 20-40fps which is good enough and looks great. Gonna post direct links to full size pics next.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 11:22:28 PM by Bebpo »

Hamarr

« Reply #35905 on: November 15, 2020, 12:50:00 AM »
It’s been awhile since I played 2, but it seemed better looking.  Maybe it was less busy overall.

I have no idea where I am in the story but I am bored with Legion already.  I still have a few sections of the city to liberate and I have maxed out most of the tech.  Maybe too much time spent on side stuff but everything feels like side stuff in this game, including the main missions.  This is Watch Dogs: Side Stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #35906 on: November 15, 2020, 02:37:26 AM »
It’s been awhile since I played 2, but it seemed better looking.  Maybe it was less busy overall.

I have no idea where I am in the story but I am bored with Legion already.  I still have a few sections of the city to liberate and I have maxed out most of the tech.  Maybe too much time spent on side stuff but everything feels like side stuff in this game, including the main missions.  This is Watch Dogs: Side Stuff.

Yeah, I'm not that far into the game, mostly just futzing around recruiting people. Done about 3-4 story missions about 8-10 hours in. Liberated a couple areas.

The game feels really underbaked. Like they bet the whole farm of the recruiting/playable NPCs bit and put all the time/budget into that and the main missions and...that's it. They basically didn't make anything else.

Actually doing the deep profile missions for recruiting people...is kinda fun. Going to all these secure locations and stealthing (or shooting) around and grabbing collectibles and then getting a new character afterwards is cool. I'm guessing since there's a million NPCs that these start to repeat at some point, but at least for a little while they're pretty enjoyable.

Main story missions so far have been kind of boring. Lots of slow AR talky stuff and spider-bot platforming. I actually prefer the recruitment missions of just like sandbox go into a secure place and steal something. No talky, no scripted stuff, just some sandbox bases.

The game needed a decent amount more of side stuff besides uh, parcel deliveries and kickball and darts lol, also the multiplayer stuff was fun in 2 so Legion could've used that at launch as well instead of coming months later.

Still, now that it looks pretty nice and clean with my setup, I'm finding the locations and city cool enough looking and I have some weird fun characters like the hypnotist who is a blast charming one enemy from range and letting them cause mass chaos while you sneak in and now I've got a hitman with some good weapons. Messing around with the dozen or so different type of unique NPCs is pretty fun. I think I'll enjoy finishing up the story and liberations and recruiting a bunch more people and then be done with it. It's definitely way worse than 2, but now that it doesn't look like shit and I have some fun NPCs and have the hang of it I think it's alright. Somewhere 7-8/10-ish.

Bebpo

« Reply #35907 on: November 15, 2020, 02:39:23 AM »

Started playing Ghost of Tsushima on PS5. Did the intro stuff and got in the game a bit. Pretty cool. The music is real good and art direction is stellar. Combat kinda reminds me a very light version of Sekiro. Also fuck dogs. Fuck them so much. I need to unlock my stealth shit so I can stealth kill all the dogs before attacking bases.

Also PS5 has a serious issue where the screenshot icon ends up on the screenshot like 1/10th of the time.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35908 on: November 15, 2020, 07:27:29 AM »
Considering most Ray Tracing games so far were FPS's or action games like CONTROL, Watch Dogs looks like a decent enough game to pick up on a sale to see how Ray Tracing works and what it does for open world games.
🤴

« Reply #35909 on: November 15, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »
Nioh 2 is pretty fun. I'm always too nervous, but you just have to be brave and confident. I like that you get skill points for just using weapons. I'm playing around with different builds and I think so far switch glaive and split staff are pretty fun. I just unlocked a sick switch glaive parry attack and I'm just practicing the timing on the first enemy next to the shrine.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35910 on: November 15, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »
COD Multiplayer.

Most stuff is fun, zombie mode is  :snore
🤴

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #35911 on: November 15, 2020, 04:58:16 PM »
i look forward to trying nioh. guessing i should just jump straight to the second entry?
◕‿◕

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35912 on: November 15, 2020, 05:13:37 PM »
I dunno man I think the first one is worth playing also to get you familliar with the mechanics
What

naff

« Reply #35913 on: November 15, 2020, 05:29:44 PM »
cool, apparently on ps5 hitting the BOOST MODE with the first one gets you dynamic 4k and 60fps locked with the original :lawd
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #35914 on: November 15, 2020, 06:28:23 PM »
2 is a more comfortable experience overall, but it could get overwhelming if you don't already have shit like stamina resurge or stance changes in your muscle memory, when there's several new mechanics on top of it. These games are complex.

« Reply #35915 on: November 15, 2020, 08:59:36 PM »
In 1 you have to play as an ugly white guy. In 2 you can create your own character.

naff

« Reply #35916 on: November 15, 2020, 09:14:28 PM »
is Nioh The Last Samurai of gaming?
◕‿◕

« Reply #35917 on: November 15, 2020, 10:52:25 PM »

Actually yeah lol. You play as William Adams, an actual British dude that ended up in Japan in the 1600s.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #35918 on: November 16, 2020, 02:34:27 AM »
finished Gucamelee! 2 with all the achievements. Pretty good game but short on genuine excitement. Technically very sound but thats about it. Idk it was fun enough. The final Chicken Temple sucked major ass.

Started Resident Evil 7 and no way am I playing this shit with headphones on lol. I cant imagine how terrifying this shit is in VR

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #35919 on: November 16, 2020, 03:32:47 AM »

Actually yeah lol. You play as William Adams, an actual British dude that ended up in Japan in the 1600s.

Depends on how you see it. The Last Samurai is fictional, but the backstory Nioh uses actually happened.

William Adams was the navigator on a ship called De Liefde. He was the first englishman to become a samurai. Jan Joosten van Lodensteyn second mate on the ship also stayed in Japan after they got to land there and is the person to set up the Dutch trading post in Japan.

The main bad guy is also based on a real person. Edward Kelley was an alchemist that claimed he could summon spirits. He also claimed he could turn base metals into gold.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35920 on: November 16, 2020, 06:03:20 AM »
In 1 you have to play as an ugly white guy. In 2 you can create your own character.
At least he has a story, and is based on a real guy (somewhat)

It also has the amazing
spoiler (click to show/hide)
ninja house
[close]
level and you can dress your dude up to look like Ryu from Ninja Gaiden so how he looks doesnt even really matter
What

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #35921 on: November 17, 2020, 03:01:52 AM »
Playing COD now, I am very much enjoying being a Nonbinary Agent of Reagan, thank you VERY much

Switters

« Reply #35922 on: November 18, 2020, 08:51:17 AM »
What's up "gaming side"! I just dropped $950 on a black market PS5 and $80 bucks for Demon's Souls.

Worth every penny. The controller jumps around in your hand like coked up chihuahua.

The console looks stupid as fuck though, but that controller is slick.
troll

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35923 on: November 18, 2020, 02:31:44 PM »
What's up "gaming side"! I just dropped $950 on a black market PS5 and $80 bucks for Demon's Souls.

Worth every penny. The controller jumps around in your hand like coked up chihuahua.

The console looks stupid as fuck though, but that controller is slick.

:mindblown
What

Freyj

« Reply #35924 on: November 18, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
Cold Steel IV done.

It was so so? I dropped the difficulty when it was clear the game wasn’t going to stop fucking with my party and making Accessory / Orbment management hellish and after playing SC, 3rd, Zero, Azure and CS I - IV over the last 12 months I’m a little burned out on the combat.

Good character moments and the wedding was a nice capstone to essentially a 9 game buildup but the Osborne and Ouroboros plots were awful. Ouroboros is a one trick pony and I really don’t care to see any more of them in this series (lol) until they have something more to do than peace out after revealing they don’t actually care about plan X because it was just the third step of plan Y which is in turn the fifth step of plan Z.

Osborne and everything surrounding him I don’t want to think much more about. Insanely stupid turn of events.
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #35925 on: November 18, 2020, 09:46:52 PM »
Beat Demon's Souls Remake. First PS5 clear, ~25 hours, not bad considering the system's only been out less than a week and I was testing/playing lots of other stuff too.

Having not replayed the game in 11 years or so, game holds up pretty well. There's some really great levels and exploration, lots of cool secrets, some cool boss fights. The multiplayer is still pretty fun.

The remake does a nice job with the art direction, visuals, music. I really liked what they did with the NPCs. All these characters look great and unique and have really good English VA so it actually makes it feel like a cast. Loading is super short and world tendency is still stupid and requires dumb things to unlock certain secrets.

I was surprised how short Demon's Souls is. I thought they were all about the same length for the Souls games, but that's probably cause at the time as a first Souls game Demon's Souls probably took me a while. Now it definitely feels a bit shorter and smaller in scope than Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro. Maybe more replayable because it's short? Idk, when I get a 4k tv maybe next year I'll do another run either in NG+ or just start over with a different build now that I know all the levels/bosses/gear/tricks inside and out again.

I'd say for it's time Demon's Souls was like a 9.5/10 revolutionary game with the way it handled online/mp and its core systems. Now it's still quite good, and nice to have with a fresh coat of paint and newly packed online players. I imagine the online scene will stay pretty packed as people get the system for the first year and pick it up.

*edit* so I actually looked to see if I was reviewing/scoring games I beat back in 2009 and I started just before that and yeah I gave Demon's Souls a 9.5/10 at the time haha.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 09:58:10 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #35926 on: November 18, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »
Cold Steel IV done.

It was so so? I dropped the difficulty when it was clear the game wasn’t going to stop fucking with my party and making Accessory / Orbment management hellish and after playing SC, 3rd, Zero, Azure and CS I - IV over the last 12 months I’m a little burned out on the combat.

Good character moments and the wedding was a nice capstone to essentially a 9 game buildup but the Osborne and Ouroboros plots were awful. Ouroboros is a one trick pony and I really don’t care to see any more of them in this series (lol) until they have something more to do than peace out after revealing they don’t actually care about plan X because it was just the third step of plan Y which is in turn the fifth step of plan Z.

Osborne and everything surrounding him I don’t want to think much more about. Insanely stupid turn of events.
[close]

So one of the flashback doors in Hajimari is Rean reading a letter left by Osborne to Rean basically telling the whole story of CS1-4 and his life from his PoV. It's almost retcon-ish in that it makes Osborne in CS work a lot better. But it's also kind of what's the point to do after the fact.

Osborne's story arc was one of my biggest issues with CS, and that sorta helped.

Also one of the things I don't like about CS4 is how the set the stakes up that these are duels to the death and it's like oh wow they're actually adding stakes to this. But then they find a way out of killing every character who isn't already dead, 500 years old, or a main antagonist.

Like if Cedric or Rufus had actually died that would have added more impact. Especially Cedric, cause fuck that kid.

Was also super annoyed that not only do they bring back Crow in 3/4, but then they waste the whole ending just to keep him around permanently along with Millieum.

Basically they need to actually kill characters off, the whole no one dies thing is just really childish and lame and yeah Ouroboros just shows up and leaves and that's all they do.
[close]

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #35927 on: November 19, 2020, 07:36:06 AM »
You a Boss Bepbo! You did it!
What

Bebpo

« Reply #35928 on: November 20, 2020, 01:48:55 AM »
Tried River City Girls now that it's on gamepass. The sprite work is really good, and music is cool, maybe a bit too much cutscenes in my beat-em-up (I like when it plays story dialogue while you're just playing, when it actually stops the game for cutscenes that's bleh).

The gameplay is...eh, ok? I never really played the original River City Ransom or got into any of the RCR retro revival spinoffs in the last decade. So coming from like Streets of Rage and Fight n' Rage and stuff the combat seems a bit lacking. Definitely has more of that 8-bit feel. You hit the enemies down then you move out of the way because they will hit you when they get up, but you have down moves and stuff so you hit them and down attack, and move out of the way, repeat, repeat. The striker stuff seems ok, I was having some lag issues in LB for whatever reason, might be a PC Game Pass thing, so strikers weren't really consistent.

Seems like when you die you don't get pushed back very far and just lose money? So seems easier than other beat-em-ups in that you don't have to do the whole level. I dunno. Also not huge on an limited moveset that increases as you level.

Maybe good enough that I'll keep playing. But definitely isn't as compelling as like those other ones or Scott Pilgrim or any of the great beat-em-ups. At least so far...

You know, I think the only Wayforward game I've ever actually played to completion was Contra 4. Their games all seem good, but I just get bored of them after an hour or two.

Bebpo

« Reply #35929 on: November 20, 2020, 02:09:31 AM »
Also I picked up Kingdom Hearts: Memories of Melody on Switch last week and been playing a little. I didn't like the demo much, but I like KH enough and the soundtrack to put up with mediocre gameplay.

And yeah, after playing for like 20 songs or so, this is probably one of the bottom tier music games I've played. The gameplay just isn't that fun and the note layouts are generic. Theaterhythm by these same Devs played so much better and had a way better and more diverse soundtrack, especially with DLC like Nier/Xenogears/TWEWY.

The highlight of the game is honestly just the nostalgia trip that the story mode goes in story order from KH1 so you play the whole soundtrack of the series from the start to finish which is cool. As a KH-enjoying-person it feels like a 7/10, but if I wasn't and was playing it as a music game fan it feels more like a 5/10.

Persona 4 Dancing still holds the lead for best non-music game series music game spinoff.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #35930 on: November 20, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
River City Girls bored me too and yeah, the cutscenes are really overbearing. It doesn't help that they put a bunch of them in front of bosses. Who thought that was a good idea?
Backtracking is also the very last thing I want to do in a brawler. Gave it about 2 hours (played for a bit after the 2nd boss) and listened to the soundtrack on Spotify.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35931 on: November 20, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
Cold Steel IV done.

[close]

What difficulty are you doing? I just made it to Hamel, so not too far along. I did Normal, even though that wasn't the 'default' difficulty... found the boss fight against Roselia in the beginning to be pretty tough and some of the enemies to be HP sponges so maybe I'll move it back to the default.
^_^

Beezy

« Reply #35932 on: November 20, 2020, 01:07:35 PM »
The combat in River City Girls gets better as you buy new moves. I haven't played it since before SoR4 came out so I don't know how I'd feel about it now, but I had a lot of fun with it when it launched.

Bebpo

« Reply #35933 on: November 20, 2020, 05:50:00 PM »
Was in that new console weekend buying craze and picked up DMC5 SE for PS5. I played through DMC5 earlier this year on PS4 and didn't like it that much. Nero being handicapped until post-game and the godawful fucking load times to go through all the equipment/skill/pre-mission/mission transitions basically made it so I couldn't stomach replaying any of the levels after a first run.

Played a few hours of Vergil campaign and Nero campaign in SE. First of all the ray-tracing mode is lolz, I tried both performance (1080p) ray-tracing an graphics (4k/30fps) RTX and normal 60fps/4k mode and I couldn't tell the difference outside framerate. I've played enough RTX games that I really notice RTX in games, but it's so thrown in on DMC5 SE it is basically pointless. Also you can't use turbo mode with RTX on. Which makes no fucking sense since it is a speed modifier?

So anyhow, settling with normal 60fps/4k mode (if I had a 120fps screen I'd do that but my tv is 1080p/60fps only) with turbo mode on...game looks and runs good! Like turbo mode speed feels a lot better and the game feels more fun. Also even at the default non-raytracing mode I swear the game looks a lot better than the PS4 original. Effects/lighting seems better and 4k downsample gives pretty much perfect image quality.

Vergil mode is cool, was fun going through the first few levels. Even playing as Nero in turbo mode on this and having beaten the game and knowing how to play as DMC5 Nero was way more fast, fluid and fun this time around speed-running it. Definitely enjoying it a good amount more.

Oh and especially enjoying it more because no loading times is the biggest game changer there is for this game. Like if you were smart and played DMC5 originally on PC with an SSD then you already made the wise decision. I was dumb and bought it on PS4. DMC5 with no load times between all the menu transitions and levels and checkpoints if you die, secret missions, etc....yeah, this is absolutely the way the game was meant to be played and it feels way more replayable now.

So yeah, seems good and I'm enjoying it more this go around. That being said, since you can't carry your PS4 original save over since it's a "new" game, I looked at the microtransactions to see if I could just pay a couple bucks to unlock post-game Nero from the start. Turns out you can buy the super versions of all the characters, you can buy blue/red orbs, but you can't buy arm Nero or Dante's weapons :( Blah. That said since this is more fun now I may just speedrun a run through the game.

Haven't tried Legendary Dark Knight mode yet with more enemies on screen at once. Will try next time.

Bebpo

« Reply #35934 on: November 20, 2020, 08:12:14 PM »
Ok, legendary dark knight mode is tons of fun, but also pretty impossible with starting Nero lol. Great way to grind red orbs early on. I think in my Nero/Vergil normal runs I got like 20k orbs from stage 1. Midway through stage 1 in legendary dark knight I had 70k.

Bebpo

« Reply #35935 on: November 20, 2020, 10:23:09 PM »
Also picked up Dirt 5. Man, this game looks a generation ago. Coming from Forza 7 the step down visually is crazy. IGuess that's why it can push 4k/120fp on Xbox Series X & PS5. I'm kinda graphic snob when it comes to racers, so I'd rather just play more Forza 7 tbh. Dirt 5 probably looks more impressive at 120fps/4k though since I'm only playing it at 60fps/1080p.

Gameplay is non-Dirty Rally Dirt. Ok arcade physics, nothing special, not too terrible. Solid number of tracks with time of day/weather options, but the tracks are pretty short. Obviously Dirt Rally is way better.

But the rumble and adaptive triggers are pretty rad. It's a fun enough $30 launch racer for the new consoles except they're charging full price. It's no Driveclub for sure. But definitely makes me interested in what GT7 can do with the Dual Sense controller. The way you feel the gas/brake pedals slip in Dirt 5 feels like playing with a foot pedal with great FFB. Very cool. Also the feeling of the car rattling from jumps and stuff vibrates real good.

Bebpo

« Reply #35936 on: November 21, 2020, 12:26:32 AM »
Actually it turns out Dirt 5 can't even hold 60fps on PS5. The 120fps mode on the two systems is apparently some lowest graphical options possible setting like VR modes in games. The main modes (resolution/image quality) aim for 60fps and were 60fps at launch on the disc versions with some tearing, so they boneheadedly decided to patch it last week to enforce v-sync which causes drops instead. Apparently a lot of people are pissed, so maybe they'll make a toggle or something in the future.

Seems ridiculous that a game this shitty looking can't hold 60fps. The car models are so simple they look like PS3/X360 gen and the track environments are pretty barren and small tracks. Kinda surprised.

Gonna go try Dirt 4 at 120fps on my PC since I never played it and got it in one of the bundles to compare. Wouldn't be surprised if it looks better than 5.

Bebpo

« Reply #35937 on: November 21, 2020, 12:41:43 AM »
Ok, Dirt 4 looks really, really dated. Also it's weird, I skipped 4, but I played 1-3 and 5 feels a lot like 3 so I thought the series just went in this arcade rallycross mountain dew hip & colorful races direction from 3 onwards while Dirt Rally 1&2 did the legit thing.

But 4 is like trying to be Dirt Rally-lite? It's really drab and boring visuals, no style or colorful environments. Just like real rally races that feel like and look like Dirt Rally but more accessible.

And then 5 is back to what 3 was doing. Interesting.

Bebpo

« Reply #35938 on: November 21, 2020, 02:27:59 AM »

Dirt 5 can look good at very specific spots. It's just tough to get good photos even in photomode because the cars look so bad. Whereas like Forza/GT it's so easy to take a million photo mode shots because the cars look great.

Like this:

Yeaaaaahhhh

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #35939 on: November 21, 2020, 05:46:54 AM »
Yeah it looks rough for a launch game.
Is the track creator any good? That seemed pretty interesting in reviews.

With Take Two budgets Codies games are probably going to look far better
🤴