Author Topic: Beatles: Rock Band :hyper  (Read 15279 times)

Re: Beatles: Rock Band :hyper
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2009, 08:42:03 PM »
My Rock Band 1 bundle didn't come with a hub, seeing how the PS3 has 4 usb ports and the game only required 4 usb ports at that time.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2009, 10:21:28 PM »
HMX announced a while back that LIPS' wireless microphones would be patched to work with Rock Band 2 this summer. (checks seasonal watch) Summer's over and that hasn't happened, but I'm really hoping they've got it working for The Beatles: Rock Band.

MS has been hyping those as a separate accessory on the Dashboard lately. Hopefully they work with something other than LIPS now.

archie4208

« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »
The LIPS mics work with TB:RB and that RB2 patch should hit by the end of the month.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2009, 10:47:54 PM »
preordered per my wife. was never really into the beatles, hopefully this will wean the holdouts on plastic instrument games.

cool breeze

« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2009, 10:57:53 PM »
I just noticed that they don't have Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.  Next to I Am The Walrus, that is what I was most excited to sing.

archie4208

« Reply #185 on: September 07, 2009, 11:03:36 PM »
Helter Skelter is the song I'm most excited to play.  The biggest omission is Strawberry Fields Forever.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #186 on: September 07, 2009, 11:18:32 PM »
The LIPS mics work with TB:RB and that RB2 patch should hit by the end of the month.

Really?! That's super good news. Thanks!

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2009, 12:56:51 AM »
The biggest omission is Strawberry Fields Forever.

Indeed, easily my favourite beatles song.

Also good news re: Lips microphones. Will look at picking some up to give me 3 for the beatles.
itm

« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2009, 01:08:07 AM »
It comes out this week!

Who's buying it?

Placed my order last night; I'm getting one-day delivery to a friend, who'll drop it in the regular mail the next day. Jonesing hard for this.

Japan loves The Beatles, right? You'd think they'd make a limited run of the game over there...
野球

archie4208

« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
Didn't The Beatles play in Japan once? ???

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2009, 01:34:42 AM »
I have a bootleg DVD of their Budokan concert. Sweet stuff.
うぐう

« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2009, 01:36:33 AM »

The Beatles didn't play live a whole lot anywhere.
野球

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2009, 03:29:16 AM »

The Beatles didn't play live a whole lot anywhere.
I know what you're saying, but that's not exactly true. They performed over 1,000 times in Hamburg alone, according to Malcolm Gladwell. But that was before Beatlemania.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2009, 03:41:25 AM »
It comes out this week!

Who's buying it?

Placed my order last night; I'm getting one-day delivery to a friend, who'll drop it in the regular mail the next day. Jonesing hard for this.

Japan loves The Beatles, right? You'd think they'd make a limited run of the game over there...

You'd think. Though the 360 version would be a difficult sell, there are lots of PS3s selling with the new slim form launch, and there's no shortage of Wiis. I am guessing the contractual situation is a mess here. Also, I note that Rock Band was announced for Japanese release over a year ago, prior to Rock Band 2's launch but no news has followed that. It's possible that the Japanese distribution contracts make things even messier than their already complicated state in the West.

pilonv1

« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2009, 03:59:53 AM »
It comes out this week!

Who's buying it?

Rock Band Japan :gloomy
itm

M3wThr33

« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2009, 04:05:53 AM »
It comes out this week!

Who's buying it?

You'd think. Though the 360 version would be a difficult sell, there are lots of PS3s selling with the new slim form launch, and there's no shortage of Wiis. I am guessing the contractual situation is a mess here. Also, I note that Rock Band was announced for Japanese release over a year ago, prior to Rock Band 2's launch but no news has followed that. It's possible that the Japanese distribution contracts make things even messier than their already complicated state in the West.

Australia still doesn't have Rock Band 2. RBJ is dead in the water. This mysterious patch is mysterious.
For all the good that Hamronix does, they sure need to get some better fucking PR out there, rather than detailing shit at the last minute. I'm still depressed when I see articles detailing shit in Lego Rock Band as new when it was in the public show-floor E3 build 3 months ago.

archie4208

« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2009, 05:09:56 PM »
This is seriously the best singing game ever made.

« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »
I'm having Man Night at my house on Saturday. Cannot wait for 6 people playing together with this game.
野球

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2009, 05:56:22 PM »
NO MIDNIGHT SALES IN THE CENTRAL KENTUCKY AREA

FUCK THIS PLACE.
HLR

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2009, 08:08:20 PM »
I've been meaning to bitch about this for a long time now, but where the hell is Hey Jude? It's not even slated for DLC...
野球

GilloD

• TAKE THE LIFE OF FRED ASTAIRE. MAKE HIM PAY. TRANSFER HIS FAME TO YOU.
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »
I've been meaning to bitch about this for a long time now, but where the hell is Hey Jude? It's not even slated for DLC...

Ah, yes. With the new keyboard peripheral, maybe?
wha

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »
That didnt stop HMX from charting that one NIN song
fat

archie4208

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2009, 02:40:34 AM »
You play the strings on guitar in I Am the Walrus.  HMX just charts non guitar parts to the guitar when the guitar is either boring or nonexistent.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2009, 02:46:21 AM »
I looked at the achievements, I would consider getting it cause they look easy. But it's The Beatles so I change my mind immediately after
fat

archie4208

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:12 AM »
The Helter Skelter drums achievement is near impossible unless you are a pro.

pilonv1

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2009, 03:24:54 AM »

why is it so hard?

Finish any song as a Bassist with Lefty Mode turned on, hitting at least 50% of the notes.

Awesome for left handers 8)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 03:32:10 AM by pilonv1 »
itm

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2009, 04:21:44 AM »
i play lefty by default, thats a basic instant win
fat

pilonv1

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2009, 06:30:15 AM »
NO FUCKING COPIES AROUND HERE :maf
itm

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2009, 08:54:22 AM »
THANKS GAMEFLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nat

pilonv1

« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2009, 09:00:47 AM »
Played some RB2 tonight instead. Why do all RB games have shitty achievements?
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2009, 09:35:07 AM »

What's shitty about them? I hated RB1's but RB2 'cheevs are pretty reasonable. Or is that just compared to the crap of RB1 or the utter horror of Guitar Hero 3?

archie4208

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2009, 10:11:39 AM »

why is it so hard?

Finish any song as a Bassist with Lefty Mode turned on, hitting at least 50% of the notes.

Awesome for left handers 8)

You have to get 100% on expert, and there are some rolls that will fuck up your chances.

archie4208

« Reply #212 on: September 09, 2009, 11:22:07 AM »
[youtube=560,345]qF6fwKQqY5Y[/youtube]

« Reply #213 on: September 09, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
Pitchfork reviewed Beatles Rock Band

Album Review
Rock Band    
The Beatles
Rock Band
[Electronic Arts; 2009]

Here's the story of the Beatles, as told by the intro to The Beatles: Rock Band. They started as four lads in a basement club, covering Chuck Berry for hours at a stretch. Girls screamed, and the band got bigger and bigger 'til it stormed the world (specifically, America). Tours and celebrity and more screaming girls followed, until suddenly the world was a drag-- and they ascended a magic escalator to the sky, where they rode the giant elephant god Ganesha up to the edge of the creation. They became saints, or gods, or something just as sacred, and on a tablet it was written: "You don't mess with the Beatles."

That was Harmonix's mantra going into the project. The developers knew if they were going to handle one of the biggest properties in popular culture, they would take excruciating care to make it loyal, even worshipful. The visual design is warm and adoring, and each Beatle looks gentle and kind-- especially John Lennon, who's so beatific you almost forget that George Harrison has died, too. And the Beatles dominate the game. They're the only people on the virtual stage: Eric Clapton never plays guitar and Billy Preston and Yoko Ono are expunged. More importantly, the Beatles ignore you. Every song is shown with period dress and setting: You can't play "Helter Skelter" in the Cavern in Liverpool or "Boys" at their 1969 rooftop concert. When you screw up, the screen just fades to black. In the first few clubs, the camera regularly cuts to those girls in the audience, screaming, in love. But they're not screaming for you.

You, the player, are the disciple. You're here to study the music: To play as fast and loud as the band did in its youth, to finish the delicate "Dear Prudence" without a single bum note, to master Paul McCartney's bass line to "I Saw Her Standing There" on expert. The challenge is moderate compared to other music games, and harmony vocals are the only new feature: While the Beatles used strings, tape loops, and other effects, these are all channeled through the standard four instruments (guitar, bass, drums, and mic), and playing the strings for "I Am the Walrus" with the guitar controller works better than you might expect. But the harmony vocals make it a far better party game than previous Rock Band editions. I've played with two additional singers, a guy who likes to belt Rush and a woman who's in a choir, and listening to them chant "GUTEN MORGEN GUTEN MORGEN GUT" was worth the price right there.

The 45-track setlist balances better-known Beatles songs ("Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds", "Day Tripper") with deep cuts chosen for gameplay. (The loping, sad "Dig a Pony" is an instant favorite.) The game even bends the canon, reaching out to the Love soundtrack's mix of "Within You Without You" with "Tomorrow Never Knows", which gives you the melody of the first with the drums of the second. Many songs also cut off before their fade-outs-- which was the right call, but it sounds strange on a song as burned in your brain as "Yellow Submarine".

The first chapters take place in concert settings in front of screaming crowds. But after the Beatles quit the road in 1966, the game segues to the Abbey Road studio, where each song gets a "dreamscape." These vignettes recycle well-worn references for each song, and none of them would make the creators of Yellow Submarine lose sleep. Covering the band's psychedelic period, they're a thin metaphor for the fact that the band was well off their tits, but they also reinforce what an insular and magical place these recordings seem to emerge from-- especially if you skip the turmoil behind the scenes.

That's not to say the game ignores their history. Good scores unlock rare photos dug from the archives, as well as clips of sound and video. You get their 1963 Christmas fan club record, a rough rehearsal for "Ed Sullivan", and a promotional film for "Get Back" edited out of outtakes from the Let It Be film. And there are clips of the band just chatting or goofing around.. They're candid, but the candidness doesn't make the band seem more human; rather, you feel like you're eavesdropping on a whole new level of divinity.

The storytelling is at its finest in the last act, the rooftop show in London in 1969. The audience has aged and the band is tired. We never watch them fight, but the break-up is implied in the climax of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", where the camera jitters until the song cuts off. But encore "The End", the unannounced 45th song, is the proper send-off: Ultimately, the band was judged by the love they made.

The word "love" sums up the entire vision for the game. Where past Rock Band and Guitar Hero titles emphasized the thrills and the grinds of rock, The Beatles: Rock Band feels completely different: it's soothing and cozy, and the songs keep luring you back not just because they're excellent and fun, but because the familiar recordings, the nostalgic visuals, and the Beatles' smiling faces make a peaceful, loving place. As a painstakingly crafted piece of fandom, it's a bullseye.

But all this worship has a drawback. Discussing Rock Band 2, which doesn't use the likeness of any real stars, Harmonix's Helen McWilliams once told me, "We want it to be about you, and your rock star fantasy... You're there with your band, for each other, and you're fulfilling your rock star dream together, and the audience is there for you." The Beatles: Rock Band is the total opposite. The "characters" are untouchable, and the tracks don't even toss you a freestyle section. Your only choices are to get the song right, or not. Sure, it's a cliché that most videogames make you save the world, but at least in those games, you know you're needed. I've never felt less important in a game than this one.

But I'll let 'em get away with it. After all, they're the Beatles.

— Chris Dahlen, September 9, 2009
野球

archie4208

« Reply #214 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:23 PM »
Much better than the 1up review where they bitch about the bundle price half of the time instead of focusing on the game itself.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #215 on: September 09, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »

RB2 is very managable. I could get 1000 if I had someone to do endless setlist with. Or I bothered to set up the drums.
fat

« Reply #216 on: September 09, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
I'm so excited to pick this up after work today!!

:hyper :hyper :hyper
野球

archie4208

« Reply #217 on: September 09, 2009, 12:16:10 PM »

RB2 is very managable. I could get 1000 if I had someone to do endless setlist with. Or I bothered to set up the drums.

Bladder of Steel is still one of the shittiest achievements ever.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #218 on: September 09, 2009, 12:17:17 PM »

Bladder of Steel is still one of the shittiest achievements ever.

Yeah, that one's mean. Not sure what to do about it. If I intentionally fail a song, does that count as a "pause"?

archie4208

« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:57 PM »
Yeah.  Failing or pausing automatically kills your chances of getting the achievement.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #220 on: September 09, 2009, 12:53:46 PM »
WTF happens when you fail a song?
nat

archie4208

« Reply #221 on: September 09, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
It just jumps to the song failure screen.  Sometimes you get some chatter at that screen.  I failed a song at Budokan and Paul was asking if the mic was on. :lol

pilonv1

« Reply #222 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »
:rofl

itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #223 on: September 09, 2009, 08:55:17 PM »
I've seen a lot of reports talking about how "experienced players of music games" will not be sufficiently challenged by this. I assume this means people who regularly FC songs and don't panic when the solo for "Flirtin' With Disaster" starts.

I play RB2 with Vocals or Bass on Expert, Guitar on Hard, and almost never touch the drums except on Easy or sometimes Medium. How much of a challenge is Beatles RB going to be?

archie4208

« Reply #224 on: September 09, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »
It's easy if you are a nerd who can FC garbage like Through the Fire and Flames.  Most songs are pretty basic, but some will provide a decent challenge.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #225 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:17 PM »
It's easy if you are a nerd who can FC garbage like Through the Fire and Flames.  Most songs are pretty basic, but some will provide a decent challenge.

I couldn't even play TtFaF on Medium, IIRC. Haven't tried in a while, I might be able to do it, but I can't be bothered to boot GH3 ever again.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2009, 11:43:05 PM »
i haven't played Rock Band in awhile so this game'll be perfect to settle back in. simple and easy. then i'll go back to playing Megadeth :rock
nat

cool breeze

« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
I got the game at Gamestop and they gave me a code that let me get three free DLC songs.  I go on expecting to get All You Need Is Love, since it's already out, but all the songs are out on October, and only Day in the Life was the good one amongst them.   :'(

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2009, 02:07:11 PM »
Yeah, unless you are a Guitar Hero freak, there's some fucking hard licks in there that may take a few tries before you get them down. Plus, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the grading system for five stars is more strict.
HLR

archie4208

« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »
The scoring systems are the same across every game.  Songs are generally harder to 5 star in TB:RB due to there being fewer notes, so you have to be more accurate in general.  Missing 2-3 notes can fuck over getting a star.

« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2009, 03:33:06 PM »
I got the game at Gamestop and they gave me a code that let me get three free DLC songs.  I go on expecting to get All You Need Is Love, since it's already out, but all the songs are out on October, and only Day in the Life was the good one amongst them.   :'(

Yeah. My wife and I ended up choosing Maxwell's Silver Hammer, She's Leaving Home and Day in the Life.
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
I have 6 plastic guitars, so 6 guitar straps, and for some reason I took all 6 straps with 5 guitars to my garage.  The RB2 guitar being really hard to hold on it's own doesn't help.

cool breeze

« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2009, 05:17:47 PM »
I was a bit let down that they didn't have "Sorry girls, he's married." during the Ed Sullivan part, especially after people were hyping the presentation ant "beatles-ness" so much, but Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds being one huge trip without fucking around redeemed it.

cool breeze

« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2009, 07:59:16 PM »
me arm hurts

great game

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #234 on: September 10, 2009, 08:01:29 PM »
Some of the edits made in this game to the songs is flat out disgusting and disgraceful to any true Beatles fan. The "Quiet man, quiet" at the end of Hey Bulldog is the biggest, most embarrasing addition to ever grace a song since Greedo shot first.
USA

Robo

« Reply #235 on: September 11, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
 ::)
obo

CurseoftheGods

• just hanging around, being shitty
« Reply #236 on: September 11, 2009, 04:50:07 PM »
Some of the edits made in this game to the songs is flat out disgusting and disgraceful to any true Beatles fan. The "Quiet man, quiet" at the end of Hey Bulldog is the biggest, most embarrasing addition to ever grace a song since Greedo shot first.

:rofl

« Reply #237 on: September 11, 2009, 05:05:58 PM »
The guy working at Gamestop gave me one of those "free 3 download song" cards when I picked up my copy, and I just got an email from Gamestop with another code for another 3 free songs.

:rock
野球

Bebpo

« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2009, 02:49:16 AM »
Played a bunch on guitar.  Was...ok?  The songs are great, but I dunno a lot are kinda dull on guitar.  The more rocking stuff plays better there.  Dig the presentation though I wish they'd just let me do all the story mode song groups in 1 session than dump me out to the menu each time.  The intro was amazing.  Looking forward to doing vocals after I finish guitar.

So I saw All You Need Is Love DLC is on XBLM, is it not coming to the PS3? 

« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2009, 03:00:02 AM »
Played a bunch on guitar.  Was...ok?  The songs are great, but I dunno a lot are kinda dull on guitar.  The more rocking stuff plays better there.  Dig the presentation though I wish they'd just let me do all the story mode song groups in 1 session than dump me out to the menu each time.  The intro was amazing.  Looking forward to doing vocals after I finish guitar.

Get yourself a mic stand and do both at the same time!!! It's a lot of fun.

So I saw All You Need Is Love DLC is on XBLM, is it not coming to the PS3? 

Three month exclusive to 360.
野球