Author Topic: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread  (Read 154335 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread - PLEASE JOIN UFC FEDOR!
« Reply #720 on: March 20, 2011, 12:49:07 AM »
Raped. Shogun looked kinda fat lol. I didn't think he would be coming back after a third knee surgery

I think shogun style wise was the perfect matchup for machida. But his striking was never that impressive to me. It's that wild looping style that use to work in mma when you had less good technical strikers. Add in the fact that jones is such a better wrestler than Shogun and it was an ugly fight. I thought it was gonna be closer than that but in hindsight of course I guess this was the obvious conclusion.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #721 on: March 20, 2011, 01:50:06 AM »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #722 on: March 20, 2011, 02:16:21 AM »
The OA dummies actually got it right.  Maybe I should use their picks to put down some money next time. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #723 on: March 20, 2011, 10:46:26 AM »

Skidmark

« Reply #724 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:37 AM »
lol at the nuthuggers in that gaf thread who thought shogun was gonna own jones.

:(

Stoney Mason

« Reply #725 on: March 20, 2011, 11:46:43 AM »
lol at the nuthuggers in that gaf thread who thought shogun was gonna own jones.

:(

Nah I'm not referencing you skidmark. I mean a lot of people did think Shogun would win because of his experience. Even I kinda thought Shogun would win even though I knew Jones had a real shot at it. That's a legit take. But some mma asshats think a guy is going to win by simply riding his nuts as hard as they can.

Skidmark

« Reply #726 on: March 20, 2011, 11:51:31 AM »
Me and my friends were close to betting our pizza money on shogun winning the fight. We were just expecting it to be a gsp vs shields kind of a fight.  :lol

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #727 on: March 20, 2011, 12:41:44 PM »
Jones is a fucking freak. He's just way too big for anyone at light heavyweight. Holy fuck.
AMC

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #728 on: March 20, 2011, 02:17:13 PM »

In spite of following MMA for years and being very "knowledgable" about the sport, yacobod is pretty much distinguished mentally-challenged.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #729 on: March 20, 2011, 05:45:17 PM »
Also, the UFC ad guys have been on FIYAH lately.

The GSP/Kos ad was great, and then this one:

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

FUCK YEAH.  GSP IN TORONTO :rock

Very theatrical and dramatic, beats to hell the traditional "Monster Truck Rally"-esque ads.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #730 on: March 20, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
That's tight as hell. And LAWL at the brief shot of Josh "GSP is afraid to stand and bang with me" Koscheck's eye.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #731 on: March 20, 2011, 06:02:02 PM »
LOL I just sat here for ten minutes typing up and then deleting posts

I don't know what to say. Yesterday feels like a dream. We saw a Chute Boxe fighter tap to strikes from some kid that has been training MMA for three years WTFFFFFFF

So how many more big names does he destroy like that before people start flirting with the GOAT label? Two? Three?
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #732 on: March 20, 2011, 06:08:20 PM »
If Jones keeps wrecking people, I vote he stick around at LHW for two years, then bulk up and head to HW.
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #733 on: March 20, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »
The thing that is nasty about this new breed of mma fighter likes jones, or Velasquez, or even to a degree GSP is that their striking is generally better than most people at their weight class. So they can use their wrestling to dictate where ever the fight happens so its advantageous to them. They aren't just lay and pray style wrestling guys thank god. They can use their wrestling to not go down but take it there if they want to deliver some nasty ground and pound. I really like these guys.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #734 on: March 20, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »
The crazy part is, I think Jones is only just now coming into his own with his striking and learning how to effectively use his monstrous reach advantage. 

Optimo put it right.  If this kid is a champion now when he's green and only trained MMA for three years, how good can he get?  I'm not annointing him the next Fedor yet, but I don't think anyone at 205 is eager to fight him.
MMA

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #735 on: March 21, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »
Yeah, he's just nuts.

And this makes me feel like putting Steve Mazagatti into the personnel catapult for that lame ass DQ call. Come on.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #736 on: March 26, 2011, 04:51:49 PM »
Free Card tonight on Spike TV

Preliminary Card
Lightweight bout:  Waylon Lowe vs.  Nik Lentz
Middleweight bout:  Mario Miranda vs.  Aaron Simpson
Welterweight bout:  Johny Hendricks vs.  TJ Waldburger

Preliminary Card (Facebook)
Heavyweight bout:  Sean McCorkle vs.  Christian Morecraft
Bantamweight bout:  Michael McDonald vs.  Edwin Figueroa
Welterweight bout:  John Hathaway vs.  Kris McCray
Heavyweight bout:  Jon Madsen vs.  Mike Russow
Featherweight bout:  Alex Caceres vs.  Mackens Semerzier

Main Card
Featherweight bout:  Leonard Garcia vs.  Chan Sung Jung
Welterweight bout:  Amir Sadollah vs.  DaMarques Johnson
Welterweight bout:  Dan Hardy vs.  Anthony Johnson
Light Heavyweight bout:  Antônio Rogério Nogueira vs.  Phil Davis

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #737 on: March 26, 2011, 10:04:46 PM »
That GSP vs Shields promo is awesome.

Hope Shields puts up a fight.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #738 on: March 26, 2011, 10:30:33 PM »
JUNG BY TWISTER!

GAWDAMN!

EAT IT, GARCIA!
MMA

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #739 on: March 27, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
JUNG BY TWISTER!

GAWDAMN!

EAT IT, GARCIA!
I want a korean zombie shirt :S
UNF

Skidmark

« Reply #740 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:08 PM »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #741 on: April 06, 2011, 08:54:37 PM »
I'm officially off the GSP bandwagon if he can't finish Shields. Sorry, Boogie. I've been patient enough!

FOTN will be Aldo and Hominick
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #742 on: April 06, 2011, 09:00:36 PM »
bu-bu-bu what if it's a Fitch-esque drubbing?  :'(
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #743 on: April 06, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
I could live with that. Then again, I almost think I want to see Shields finished more than I want to see GSP get a finish

Honestly, I'm more excited for the return of Aldo than anything else. I know Hominick's your boy, but I've been riding Aldo's jock ever since the Cub Swanson double knee TKO, and I would sooooo love to see him move up to LW after a few more title defenses and wreak havoc there. Seems like everyone forgot about him since he had to pull out of that last fight and Jon Jones stole the prospect spotlight

edt: Actually I dunno about that last part. Probably talking out my ass. I really don't even read any MMA forums or threads these days. The only reason I go to Sherdog anymore is for the video game forum :lol
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:19:15 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Stoney Mason

« Reply #744 on: April 07, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
UFC light heavyweight contender Thiago Silva on Thursday had his fight license revoked for one year and was fined $33,750 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for tampering with his UFC 125 drug screen

The commission ruled that Silva's license will be revoked for one year from his Jan. 1 fight date and that the fighter must fork over 25 percent of his $55,000 fight purse ($13,750), as well as $20,000 of a $55,000 win bonus that he earned for dominating Brandon Vera at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. That win has been changed to a no contest on Silva’s record. The earliest he will be allowed to reapply for a fight license is Jan. 2, 2012.

After Silva’s “A” test sample was flagged for banned substances by the commission following UFC 125, the fighter’s “B” sample was then tested. An inconclusive outcome resulted, and the NSAC filed a complaint against Silva, alleging that his sample was “not consistent with human urine” and therefore must have been altered.

One day after the commission filed its complaint, Silva issued a statement admitting his guilt in the matter.

“I re-injured my back 45 days before the fight with Brandon Vera. After not fighting for a year, I made the decision to not pull out of the fight,” wrote Silva. “I also decided that the only way I could continue with the fight was to take injections in my back and spine that contained substances prohibited by the Nevada Athletic Commission. I also made the decision to use a product to hide the presence of these substances in a urine test.”

Stoney Mason

« Reply #745 on: April 09, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
Strikeforce Card tonight

Welterweight Championship bout:  Nick Diaz (c) vs.  Paul Daley[
Lightweight Championship bout:  Gilbert Melendez (c) vs.  Tatsuya Kawajiri
Light Heavyweight bout:  Gegard Mousasi vs.  Keith Jardine
Lightweight bout:  Shinya Aoki vs.  Lyle Beerbohm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #746 on: April 09, 2011, 11:37:11 PM »
Daley Diaz was an entertaining fight.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #747 on: April 10, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »
1. Nick Diaz is the most consistently entertaining fighter in the sport. Anyone that says otherwise is a butthurt prude

2. Gilbert Melendez would shit all over the UFC LW's

3. Aside from that awful, awful majority draw, that event couldn't have gone better for Zuffa. I'm expecting Dana's "We respect Strikefarce's contracts" bs to go out the window any day now

Why numbers? Idk
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #748 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:42 AM »
What can they do other than respect the contracts? Just trust that any fighter who wants to stay in the game is too afraid to sue them?

OptimoPeach

« Reply #749 on: April 10, 2011, 12:43:05 AM »
Yeah I dunno. I'm clueless as to what contractual obligations are actually in place other than Showtime is still owed a certain amount of Strikeforce events (right?). All I know is the big merge can't come soon enough, and I thought it was funny how much they were pushing this already with Gus Johnson asking about unifying title fights and that poll at the end of the event

Also want to say that this was the best crowd ever :bow Booing that crap decision, booing Jake Shields, booing Cecil Peoples :bow2
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #750 on: April 10, 2011, 12:45:47 AM »
was only able to half-watch the event, but

1. Nick Diaz is the most consistently entertaining fighter in the sport. Anyone that says otherwise is a butthurt prude

I am an unabashed Diaz hater, and that clouds me from acknowledging his entertainment value.  But, of course, a year from now, I will gladly  pay $60 (or $400, if the event is in Canada) to see GSP wrestlefuck Diaz into oblivion.

Missed the Gil fight, but.....please.

3. Aside from that awful, awful majority draw, that event couldn't have gone better for Zuffa. I'm expecting Dana's "We respect Strikefarce's contracts" bs to go out the window any day now

Trying to decipher the code of what will really happen with Strikeforce is anyone's guess at this point, I think.
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #751 on: April 10, 2011, 01:10:05 AM »
Come on, Boogie! Diaz is absolutely a shit-for-brains distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, but you can't deny his talent
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Diaz by triangle/being the only fighter GSP ever faced that has any submission game off his back :smug
[close]
k so I'm (mostly) joking there. Serious as cancer regarding Melendez, though. Why not? At the risk of sounding like a UFC promo voice-over, he's shown marked improvements in every facet of his game from fight to fight since that '08 loss to Josh Thomson, and you're nuts if you think Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard are going to have a GSP or Silva-esque reign in that division -- equally nuts if you'd even consider favoring anyone else (Florian? Jim Miller? Clay effing Guida?!) over him right now

I'm convinced this is all anti-Cesar Gracie camp hate stemming from your GSP crush and his upcoming fight with Shields :-*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:20:18 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #752 on: April 10, 2011, 01:25:24 AM »
Come on, Boogie! Diaz is absolutely a shit-for-brains distinguished mentally-challenged fellow, but you can't deny his talent
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Diaz by triangle/being the only fighter GSP ever faced that has any submission game off his back :smug
[close]
k so I'm (mostly) joking there. Serious as cancer regarding Melendez, though. Why not? At the risk of sounding like a UFC promo voice-over, he's shown marked improvements in every facet of his game from fight to fight since that '08 loss to Josh Thomson, and you're nuts if you think Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard are going to have a GSP or Silva-esque reign in that division -- equally nuts if you'd even consider favoring anyone else (Florian? Jim Miller? Clay effing Guida?!) over him right now

I'm convinced this is all anti-Cesar Gracie camp hate stemming from your GSP crush and his upcoming fight with Shields :-*

heh, interesting theory, but I don't hate Shields other than him being GSP's next victim.

And I have nothing against Gil.  I think he's undoubtedly a top 10 fighter, I just can't see how he has demonstrated that he could be the #1 guy.  He has a skillset that a half-dozen UFC guys have, and it's just hard to objectively see how his is better than Edgar/Maynard/Miller et al.  I think it's possible that Gil's ranking is inflated because SF's LW division is a tad on the thin side, and the UFC's has been a shark tank recently. But that's why they fight.  I do look forward to seeing where he does stack up.

The Diaz hate looooong predates GSP/Shields.  I hate his whole thug personality and his whining about money and wrestlers.  But I hate Daley just as much, so tonight was a wash for me.  :lol
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #753 on: April 10, 2011, 10:07:45 AM »
I've always enjoyed Diaz as a fighter which is separate debate from whether I think he could ever be a UFC champ in his weight class. (I don't). I would also like to see Melendez get a shot at the top UFC lightweights. He's been the most impressive fighter in all of Strikeforce for awhile now.

lol at the Mousasi draw last night. I have nothing against the man but I always love it when the nuthuggers get dealt a blow. (whether its a deserved blow or not)

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #754 on: April 10, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »

that's a pretty bold statement, dude. LW is one of UFC's deepest weight classes, imo.
UNF

OptimoPeach

« Reply #755 on: April 10, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »
Yeah I'll admit I've sorta taken a liking to Melendez after hearing him a few times on the SRN. He's actually a pretty sharp guy despite what his after-fight verbal diarrhea on the mic would have you think

I dunno. I'm just not too high on anyone than Maynard and Edgar right now save for maybe Jim Miller, and I'd have to pick Melendez over any three of them. I can't volunteer much of an objective explanation for that, so call it a gut feeling lol. I'm a believer!

The division is deep, sure, but I think there's a pretty big void between that top three (maybe not so much Miller) and guys like Guida, Guillard, Pettis, Cerrone, Sotiropoulos, Henderson, and whoever else. Who else even is there anyway? Siver? lol. Sherk? Don't see him putting together a title run at this point in his career. I forgot that Florian is dropping to 145, and who knows what BJ is doing now

lol at the Mousasi draw last night. I have nothing against the man but I always love it when the nuthuggers get dealt a blow. (whether its a deserved blow or not)
I love good schadenfreude as much as anyone else, but this is getting ridiculous. Makes it very difficult to argue with the anti-wrestling Shertards and Gaffots when decisions like this are a regular occurrence. Apparently all you have to do to negate being outstruck 3:1 is land a couple takedowns, stall for 15 seconds, never attempt to pass or mount ANY offense at all, and then let your opponent stand back up. Oh yeah, can't forget the hick ref immediately deducting a point on an accidental infraction that did virtually no damage
hi5

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #756 on: April 10, 2011, 07:39:45 PM »

I am an unabashed Diaz hater, and that clouds me from acknowledging his entertainment value.  But, of course, a year from now, I will gladly  pay $60 (or $400, if the event is in Canada) to see GSP wrestlefuck Diaz into oblivion.

I hate Diaz with a passion, but I too would pay money to see him beaten the fuck up.
itm

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #757 on: April 15, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »
[youtube=560,345]0LI7ic7ox88[/youtube]

side note:  this is the "combat sports" thread, but in 17 pages, has anyone ever actually discussed boxing within?  smh @ boxing
MMA

Stoney Mason

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #759 on: April 15, 2011, 11:09:57 PM »
http://www.hulu.com/watch/232618/ufc-primetime-st-pierre-vs-shields

Sucks that it aired at midnight for the States.

Sportsnet in Canada aired it at 8:30.

Although it didn't have a lot of meat, what with it being GSP's third Prime Time show, and Shields being boring, it was still pretty good.

Jon Danaher. :bow2

Also loved GSP not-so-subtly throwing Kos and Hardy under the bus: ""It’s the first guy for a while that I’m gonna fight that really is worth the challenge"

People say GSP is bland and boring, but it's little lines like that that make him awesome. :bow

also, was awesome to see all the Strikeforce footage when following Shields.
MMA

Stoney Mason

dicklaurent

« Reply #761 on: April 24, 2011, 07:47:39 PM »
just caught up with the last year and a half of ufc the last two days. wow, the bones shogun fight. seemed like shogun wasn't that interested in fighting. but jon jones is really awesome.

some good stuff. brandon vera's nose against silva. some fat blonde guy against.. can't remember who "there's something in my eye. it's your eyelid" :lol andersonsilva vitor frontkicked the fuck out :drool (fat seagal before the silva fight :drool)
PCP

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #762 on: April 25, 2011, 09:53:24 PM »
[youtube=560,345]HOx3q1nJCVk[/youtube]
 :lol
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #763 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:52 PM »
The grudge match will have to wait. So will Jon Jones' first title defense.

A hand injury has knocked the new UFC light-heavyweight champion out of action for the time being, leaving the UFC without a main event for its upcoming return to Philadelphia in August. As a result, the promotion has booked a fight pitting Jones' scheduled opponent Rashad Evans against rising star Phil Davis.

The UFC 133 fight was confirmed by the UFC on Monday morning. It was first reported by the Canadian Press.

The full extent of Jones' injury and his rehabilitation time is not yet known, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, though it is believed to be a torn ligament. The uncertain timetable was a key factor in the change.

Evans (15-1-1) has not fought since last May when he defeated Quinton "Rampage" Jackson via unanimous decision. Afterward, he was supposed to fight Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, choosing to wait for Rua to recover from knee surgery to fight him. As Rua neared healthy though, Evans suffered an injury of his own. He was replaced in the fight by Jon Jones, who knocked out Rua to become the youngest UFC champion ever.

As members of Team Greg Jackson, Evans and Jones had originally promised never to face each other, but that bond fractured even before Jones won the belt. In the weeks since, Evans left his longtime camp of Team Jackson and the two have traded barbs online.

The friendship turned into a grudge match, but Jones' injury will sideline it at least for the time being. The UFC has yet to announce whether Davis would become the No. 1 contender with a win over Evans.

The unbeaten Davis is 9-0, and most recently defeated Antonio Rogerio Nogueira via unanimous decision at a Fight Night event in March.

UFC 133 takes place on August 6 at the Wells Fargo Center.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #764 on: April 26, 2011, 12:24:29 AM »
Countdown to Rashad complaining about having to wait in 5, 4, 3, 2..

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #765 on: April 26, 2011, 08:10:33 AM »
He's not waiting, he's going to fight Phil Davis, winner gets Jones.
itm

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #766 on: April 26, 2011, 07:30:15 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure it's no different in his head, going from a title shot to a #1 contender shot.  ::)

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #767 on: April 28, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
48 HOURS TO THE EVENT!!!!!!

GSP/SHIELDS FIGHTING IN FRONT OF 55,000 FANS IN THE SKYDOME!!!!!

A DUDE I'VE ACTUALLY TRAINED WITH FIGHTING FOR A GAWDAMNED UFC TITLE IN THE CO-MAIN!!!!!

AM I HYPED?   FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!

[youtube=560,345]xC5UBQOUVOI[/youtube]
MMA

Stoney Mason

« Reply #768 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:46 PM »
lol. Good for you Boogie.

I can say I'm very excited for the main title fight but I actually think Couture Machida might be interesting and it seems a solid card overall.

It should be fun to see such a large crowd at an mma event.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #769 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
Wow, that's kinda insane for such a small octagon
AMC

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #770 on: April 28, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
Wow, that's kinda insane for such a small octagon

And my seats are shit.  :lol

Hell, my parents won kickass seats in a draw.  Soooo fucking jealous.  I should buy them out of one of them.  :lol

I'll be bringing binos and likely watching the screens the whole time otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:50:53 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #771 on: April 28, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
lol. Good for you Boogie.

I can say I'm very excited for the main title fight but I actually think Couture Machida might be interesting and it seems a solid card overall.

It should be fun to see such a large crowd at an mma event.

The top three fights on the card are crazy.  Two title fights, and a fight between two former champions.  Everything after that is just icing.

Vladdy/Brilz is the only fight that is kinda meh and really shouldn't be on the main card.
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #772 on: April 28, 2011, 07:52:49 PM »
Hype hype hype

Are you going to the weigh-ins, Boogie?
hi5

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #773 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:10 PM »

Are you going to the weigh-ins, Boogie?

hells yeah

booked the day off of work, and just printed off my UFC fight club RSVP for the Q&A

AWKWARDLY WATCHING NEARLY NAKED MEN STANDING ON A SCALE :rock
MMA

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #774 on: April 28, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »
haha

I'll be watching on my friend's (dad's) new 55" HDTV. :rock
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #775 on: April 29, 2011, 11:33:43 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #776 on: April 29, 2011, 04:08:34 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/columns/story?columnist=mcneil_franklin&id=6424823

::)

Why do they bother to write these kind of stories. So his stand-up has suddenly improved in a couple months after being shit his entire career inlcuding his last fight.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #777 on: April 30, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
Holy shit Machida just crane kicked Couture Karate Kid style and knocked him out.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
« Reply #778 on: April 30, 2011, 10:31:38 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #779 on: April 30, 2011, 10:33:32 PM »
Someone upload a .gif for us dirty foreigners.