Author Topic: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread  (Read 151049 times)

Hollywood

Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:39:46 AM »
This board needs a combat sports thread so the 3 people here, including myself, can rant on Fedor and UFC.

Apparently this is the offer given, that Fedor won't accept:

Originally Posted by yacobod:
"What M-1 meant by the UFC's"very generous offer"....

By: Carmichael Dave
CBS Radio MMA Host
Twitter.com/Carmichaeldave

So we all know the deal with M-1 and what they are saying about co-promotion. I'm not here to say who's right and wrong in this deal, but I can tell you some of the specifics that were offered to Fedor.....

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 mil a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo."

If Fedor indeed rejects this offer, fuck him. Although I think what Dana should do is buy part of M-1 Global, at least a majority share, and put this to bed. Fedor is quickly becoming the Floyd Mayweather of MMA.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:51:12 PM by bork laser »

OptimoPeach

Re: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread - PLEASE JOIN UFC FEDOR!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:45:27 AM »
Copy/pasting my GAF shit since I'm lazy:

Quote from: OptimoPeach
Haha, Fedor is too nationalistic to admit to himself that his manager is just another greedy snake. That's a shame. I doubt Coker will be any more malleable in his negotiations in terms of co-promotion, though, so I'm curious to see where Vadim goes from here. I suppose DREAM and Sengoku could put together a pretty decent HW GP.

Quote from: whytemyke
his legacy is hurt just as much as anyones cuz in the prime of his career he ducked the only legit HW competition still out there.
That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Zuffa could sell shit in a box and make it seem like they're doing you a favor. Just because Affliction was inept at marketing and promoting their fighters and events doesn't mean that the UFC wouldn't be able to hype Fedor and make him a legitimately profitable expenditure. Think of what they could do with all the old PRIDE footage.

They would be totally fucked if he lost his first fight in the Octagon though :lol

Oh and on the last bit of your post: M-1 isn't publicly traded, so that's not going to happen.
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 02:01:31 AM »
Copy/pasting my GAF shit since I'm lazy:

Haha, Fedor is too nationalistic to admit to himself that his manager is just another greedy snake. That's a shame. I doubt Coker will be any more malleable in his negotiations in terms of co-promotion, though, so I'm curious to see where Vadim goes from here. I suppose DREAM and Sengoku could put together a pretty decent HW GP.

Quote from: whytemyke
his legacy is hurt just as much as anyones cuz in the prime of his career he ducked the only legit HW competition still out there.
That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Zuffa could sell shit in a box and make it seem like they're doing you a favor. Just because Affliction was inept at marketing and promoting their fighters and events doesn't mean that the UFC wouldn't be able to hype Fedor and make him a legitimately profitable expenditure. Think of what they could do with all the old PRIDE footage.

They would be totally fucked if he lost his first fight in the Octagon though :lol

Oh and on the last bit of your post: M-1 isn't publicly traded, so that's not going to happen.

I was hoping there were others besides the seedy Russian guys who owned m-1.

The problem is they want co-promotion, as if their promotion has equal value to UFC. Why do they not see that isn't the case? UFC draws a crapload of buys every month, and they think they're entitled to half if they slap their worthless name on the banner?

I say UFC should humor them to a degree and maybe call their bluff. And allow fighters from the WEC (which UFC owns), Strikeforce, King of the Cage, Pancrase, DREAM, and whoever else that wants in on it to 'co promote' a PPV as well and cut the pie in about 8 ways. I'm not saying this is a realistic offer, but throw this in their face so when they balk at it that it proves all they want out of it is to leech off the UFC and they're not in the business of "equality."

The thing about this is, if UFC is crafty with it, they can find a way to turn this in their favor. If M-1 indeed wants to do this, this could be an "Unscheduled" UFC PPV whenever Fedor fights. So they just put on an extra PPV each year to offset this one. Also if this is a co promotion, then M-1 needs to put up half their fighters as well. UFC wouldn't have to waste any major undercard fighters on a Fedor PPV.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, but I would love to see UFC just sorta throw this put there to expose M-1's promoters as hypocrites. They want co-promotion as far as it benefits them. Yet if a really small outfit like King of the Cage or something offered them the same deal, they would laugh at it.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 02:09:38 AM »
Yeah, it would be great to see them work out some sort of deal, but I think that White & crew are just going to tell M-1 to go fuck themselves, because in the end all this hassle won't even be worth the trouble. Dana has always been right; the UFC doesn't need Fedor (and they definitely don't need M-1 leeching off their profits), and as much as they would like to have such a lauded figure with their organization, they aren't going to bend any further than they already have.
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 02:20:38 AM »
On a sidenote, I'll never question Dana White again :lol
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:41:48 AM »
You're right, Dana has went way out of his way to land this guy. This is the most unprecedented deal in the history of mixed martial arts, and they don't think its enough. what fucking right do these morons have to try to ask for HALF of the profits of the PPV?

When people buy the pay per view they're buying the UFC. Not M-1. Why don't those fucking Russian distinguished mentally-challenged fellows get it? And the sad thing is, their so fucking distinguished mentally-challenged, a deal like this does nothing except HELP them. Fedor will make more in two fights in the UFC than the rest of his career combined I'm guessing. AND on top of it M-1 gets a cut. Holy fucking shit. Really, can Fedor be this stupid to just believe what his handlers are saying?

I really hope this is posturing and they take the deal. It's whats best for the UFC. It's whats best for them. It's whats best for MMA. It's whats best the fans. This shit reminds me of boxing how they're acting, and I really don't want MMA going down that road.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 03:14:18 AM »
The funny thing is that Fedor has had (monetary) issues with shady managers in the past. I really wish I knew what he was thinking.
hi5

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:32 AM »
apparently one of the sticking points is that fedors guys wanted elbows on the ground banned

pretty obvious they have no intention of getting fedor fighting in the UFC, they just want to control him
itm

OptimoPeach

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 09:13:53 AM »
:lol Seriously? What a ridiculous request.

That's kinda strange though, considering that ground elbows are allowed in combat sambo. Where did you hear that?

edit:
“The offer which was made by the UFC is not interesting for us,” said Emelianenko. “I completely trust Vadim and I completely trust our team in M-1 Global."

Quotes like this make me wonder if Fedor is even fully aware of what the UFC has offered. Were the specifics about their negotiations revealed in that press conference? Like, did White even have the opportunity to speak to Fedor personally?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:15:57 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

pilonv1

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
:lol Seriously? What a ridiculous request.

Meltzer is hinting about it but not saying it completely. Apparently it will come out eventually.

It's not that ridiculous - if your only loss was a cut stoppage you'd want them banned. They were banned in Pride too.

Quotes like this make me wonder if Fedor is even fully aware of what the UFC has offered. Were the specifics about their negotiations revealed in that press conference? Like, did White even have the opportunity to speak to Fedor personally?

Apparently he wants to fight Randy really badly, but Vladim his manager and his cronies control him. Check around for what his brother Aleks thinks of them.
itm

OptimoPeach

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:11:56 AM »
That's true, his skin is like paper. I really don't understand, though, because from what I remember it's the athletic commissions that determine what is and isn't allowed, and I don't think Zuffa has any say in that. And yeah, I saw that Aleks interview a few days ago. It's been made pretty clear that Vadim is his puppeteer, but I'm still curious about how much he is kept in the dark.
hi5

Himu

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 10:53:09 AM »
Wish they'd show boxing on tv more often. UFC is good and all but it's far less interesting than boxing to me.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »
apparently one of the sticking points is that fedors guys wanted elbows on the ground banned

pretty obvious they have no intention of getting fedor fighting in the UFC, they just want to control him

"Yes. We can maybe play. First, change rules of de sport. Then we talk."  ???

OptimoPeach

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
[youtube=560,345]lVVrNOQtlzY[/youtube]

[youtube=560,345]v3M4VacJ4NU[/youtube]
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 01:06:37 AM »
From a thread over on Sherdog:

M-1 is AWESOME!!! Vadim Outlines M-1's Future Business Plans

M-1 and Marvel Films present: Iron Man 2

M-1 and Arum present: Pacquiao versus Mayweather

M-1 and NFL present: NFL Superbowl 2010

M-1 and 19 Entertainment present: American Idol 2010 Season

M-1 and NASA present: Mars expedition

:lol :lol

Hollywood

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 01:08:38 AM »
Wish they'd show boxing on tv more often. UFC is good and all but it's far less interesting than boxing to me.

Uh, boxing is on every Friday night on ESPN.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »

Flawless victory.

pilonv1

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »

first entertaining thing to come out of sherdog ever
itm

Hollywood

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 03:40:37 AM »
Wow Dana is PISSED.  :lol

He just straight up says he did everything he can to get him, and is over it. I agree too. Fuck Fedor. I hope he joins another organization that Dana buries too, since he's been such a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

etiolate

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 04:41:01 AM »
My question is how did Affliction get Fedor to roll with them, but Fedor's people turned down UFC.

It is making Fedor look scared.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009, 11:47:59 PM »
I don't think Fedor's scared, but his management may be. Or they're just buying into some weird little world where they're in charge of everything, like that "M-1 and NASA presents: MARS EXPEDITION" comment above. Fedor is a great fighter. He's really impressive. And after watching Lesnar dismantle my two most respected fighters, Couture and Mir, I don't think Fedor's got more than a 60% chance of beating Lesnar. His management may realize that as well, but they should be capitalizing on making the most out of the limited environment in which they can choose.

What options are there now? Japan?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »
My question is how did Affliction get Fedor to roll with them, but Fedor's people turned down UFC.

It is making Fedor look scared.

Because Affliction needed Fedor, and so Affliction was willing to bend over for M-1.  And now Affliction is dead.

UFC, on the other hand, does not need Fedor, and will not bend over for Finkelstein.

And now Finkie is looking for someone else who will bend over for M-1.
MMA

Hollywood

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 03:16:55 AM »
Fedor talking about Lesnar:

:lol

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 04:03:36 AM »
Don't know much of anything about mma. Looked up Brock Lesnar...holy shit he was in the WWE, now he's dominating the UFC?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 11:38:11 AM »
Don't know much of anything about mma. Looked up Brock Lesnar...holy shit he was in the WWE, now he's dominating the UFC?

Yeah, it's funny. People focus on his WWE run, and then draw a parallel to UFC (OMGz0r! It's FAKE!) without recognizing that he was a real wrestling champion before that, and even played some pro football. He's a real athlete, very competitive, and every inch the jockstrap he appears to be according to WWE's JR and his post-victory antics (dojo honor am cry for poor Mir). He's made himself out to be the jerk, and everyone's waiting to see someone take him out; he's a great heel. I lost a hunnerd bux hoping to see Mir make him tap again last time. :japancry

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »
none of this really changes the fact that dana white is the scummiest of scum, though
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2009, 12:03:24 PM »
In what way?

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2009, 12:15:30 PM »
indentured servitude of his fighters
sup

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 02:58:19 AM »
You mean that he asks them to sign exclusive contracts while they fight in the UFC, or is it the lifelong image rights for videogames?

Hollywood

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 03:05:34 AM »
No more under contract than a player in other professional sports like MLB, NFL, or anything else.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-fedorufc073109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Good article placing the blame where it needs to be in this Fedor situation. This quote kind of disturbs me:

Finkelchtein released a statement on Friday before the UFC news conference in which he said, in part, “All we are asking is that there is give-and-take in the negotiations and that they are not one-sided.”

It sounds like that UFC just put it all out on the table and made a good deal, and this douchebag thought 'hmm maybe I can milk a little more out of this, since they offered this great deal right off the bat, maybe I can get some more out of it.' It's stupid. Since he saw UFC's offer as a starting point instead of them just trying to make the best offer they could, the douchebag wanted to try to fuck them over. What else is new.

Let the asshole rot in Strikeforce or somewhere else. And BTW, Strikeforce doesn't exactly have money to throw around like Affliction, or near as much as what UFC offered. Hopefully when the M-1 guys and Fedor see whats out there isn't even as much as Affliction, that they come back to the table with their tail between the legs and take the deal.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 04:24:00 AM »
I suspect Fedor will fight in Japan, demand equal drug testing (apparently non-mandatory here), and scrap with Barnett as the article suggests. In the west, he will continue being unknown outside of MMA fans, and he'll likely laugh all the way to the bank as he continues his win streak.

I wonder if he's even curious how he'd fare against Lesnar, or if he just likes winning more than competing.

Prost

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 05:44:08 AM »
[youtube=560,345]_n6Z_2CgcuY[/youtube]
:-₫

OptimoPeach

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 01:58:42 PM »
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 05:35:17 PM »

"Fedor is a f---ing joke," UFC President Dana White responded Monday after learning that Emelianenko had signed with Strikeforce. “He turns down a huge deal and the opportunity to face the best in the world to fight nobodies for no money!"

:lol

pilonv1

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:42 PM »
fedor* is officially irrelavent in todays mma. fuck him
itm

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 10:52:13 PM »
The grapes are sour. I didn't want to eat them anyway.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »
one of these days he's gonna talk shit about the wrong guy and they're going to cripple him

can't wait to see the youtube after that
sup

Hollywood

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 11:23:58 PM »
one of these days he's gonna talk shit about the wrong guy and they're going to cripple him

can't wait to see the youtube after that

Dana speaks the truth.

pilonv1

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2009, 11:46:18 PM »
Dana lives in Vegas and knows people. I think he's fine.

And yes everything out of his mouth is 100% truth
itm

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2009, 01:12:33 AM »
he's a scumbag, a week ago you couldn't pry his lips off fedor's dick with a crowbar, and now all of a sudden fedor's a joke

crybaby throws another public tantrum because he doesn't get what he wants

fuck him
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2009, 01:16:37 AM »
and every hypocrite pissing on fedor now will have their eyes glued to a torrent or stream of his next fight, like a person who talks shit about gays and then goes home to jerk it to cheeseburger porn

sup

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2009, 01:23:58 AM »
wut

pilonv1

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2009, 01:25:17 AM »
eel has snapped

ill watch fedors* next fight. doesnt mean i think he's great
itm

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2009, 01:26:50 AM »
no snap here, just calling out the hypocrisy

he's irrelevant, he's a joke, but dude did you catch that last bout
sup

OptimoPeach

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2009, 01:40:37 AM »
I'll be riding his dick until the end, even if he is a brainwashed dope.

But I can understand people being a little bitter.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 01:46:30 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2009, 03:03:48 AM »
UFC in a couple days. Also Gina returns to fighting next week.  :D

Tig ole bitties!

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2009, 05:01:18 PM »
Yum@Gina.

I don't have any idea what Strikeforce paid to get Fedor in, but the whole franchise is propped up by its Showtime contract, isn't it? Showtime has money but like any network there's the even chance that the contract would not be renewed or the show canceled with any change of exec. brass, leaving Strikeforce in the lurch.

More than that, I think UFC is looking at one more fight with Couture, and then his contract's up, right? He likely has a limited amount of no-compete time on his contract (though dismissing that could have been part of the terms of his kiss-and-make-up with UFC). Randy's not said anything about post-UFC yet (no surprise there), but even if a Couture/Fedor match is the goal here, Strikeforce has to realize that one good fight does not make a franchise.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2009, 12:54:16 AM »
ANDERSON FUCKING SILVA HOLY SHIT ASLDKFJ;DF
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2009, 12:59:40 AM »
He fucking knocked him out by the time I got done packing a bowl. FUCK
hi5

E-DuB

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2009, 01:05:17 AM »
ANDERSON FUCKING SILVA HOLY SHIT ASLDKFJ;DF
Yeah I said holy God damn too. And I laughed pretty hard when Forrest ran the hell out of there afterward.

E-DuB

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
Also found this on GAF like four minutes after the fight finished....just wow...first for the KO and then for getting the GIF so quickly
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 01:10:31 AM by E-DuB »

OptimoPeach

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2009, 01:13:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm really in disbelief that he ran out like that :lol omfg

I hope Penn/Florian can measure up. BJ looks like he's in amazing shape.
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2009, 01:42:39 AM »
Welp, BJ is still the king of LW. I can't say I'm surprised.
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2009, 02:19:19 AM »
I missed the PPV, but apparently I didn't miss much. Anderson and BJ dominated as expected, and the undercard sounded like shit. One thing I hate about the UFC though is it will probably take another 4 months to see Silva and BJ back in the octagon. With Anderson at least, sounds like he didn't even break a sweat. We shouldn't have to wait that fucking long.

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2009, 02:21:55 AM »
I missed the PPV, but apparently I didn't miss much. Anderson and BJ dominated as expected, and the undercard sounded like shit. One thing I hate about the UFC though is it will probably take another 4 months to see Silva and BJ back in the octagon. With Anderson at least, sounds like he didn't even break a sweat. We shouldn't have to wait that fucking long.

there's just so many fighters to nowadays. The spotlight needs to be shared!
UNF

Hollywood

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:46 AM »

there's just so many fighters to nowadays. The spotlight needs to be shared!

Which I've thought about as well. The undercard often falls to the background, and UFC needs to expand its SpikeTV offering. Boxing has Friday Night Fights every Friday night, why can't UFC have something similar? Not even a week, just every month would be nice, in addition to the PPV's and Ultimate reality show. It just sucks to think Anderson's next fight will likely be against Henderson, who he dominated the last time they faced each other, then possibly against Machida after that. Meaning, we could be waiting until next summer to see a real fight we want to see Silva in. He needs to either have GSP move up in weight and face him, or he needs to stay LHW and take on Machida.

It sucks to think that a Leites snoozefest where the guy ran like a bitch the whole fight, and a 1:30 destruction are the only two Silva fights this year. This guy is supposedly the P4P best fighter in the world and all he's handed is chumps with a multiple month wait until the next fight. Shit.

Hollywood

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2009, 03:08:39 AM »
Also, reading Sherdog makes my head hurt. So many suggesting UFC was fixed tonight. What fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellows.

Hollywood

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2009, 04:19:02 PM »
This is why UFC events shouldn't be in Philly  :lol

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

I like the guy yelling "KICK HIS ASS SEA BASS!"

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2009, 07:14:12 PM »
UFC 101 - my most epic fail in my MMA hobby to-date: I just got back from a trip to Hawaii, and was even on The Big Island on the night of the fight. I was Kona-side, not Hilo, but the whole island is huge into MMA and of course everyone's rooting for BJ. I'm there with family who have converged from all over the USA, but I warn them that I'm going to borrow my bro-in-law, head for a sports bar, and be gone for the duration of the event.

The morning after we arrive, I find a sports bar, it's got the flyers for a viewing event in the windows. US$10 cover, no problem, lots of Kona Brewing Company on tap -- this looks like it'll be heaven. I flag a waitress - "Hey, what time does the UFC thing start today? When should I show up?"

"It was last night. It was Saturday night" -- yeah, and today being Sunday, it appears I missed the boat. Holy. Fucking. Shit.

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
ginnnaaaaaa unf unf  :hump
UNF