Author Topic: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread  (Read 151418 times)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Combat sports (MMA, boxing, etc) thread - PLEASE JOIN UFC FEDOR!
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2009, 08:43:46 PM »
 :o :hump :o
yar

OptimoPeach

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
UFC 101 - my most epic fail in my MMA hobby to-date: I just got back from a trip to Hawaii, and was even on The Big Island on the night of the fight. I was Kona-side, not Hilo, but the whole island is huge into MMA and of course everyone's rooting for BJ. I'm there with family who have converged from all over the USA, but I warn them that I'm going to borrow my bro-in-law, head for a sports bar, and be gone for the duration of the event.

The morning after we arrive, I find a sports bar, it's got the flyers for a viewing event in the windows. US$10 cover, no problem, lots of Kona Brewing Company on tap -- this looks like it'll be heaven. I flag a waitress - "Hey, what time does the UFC thing start today? When should I show up?"

"It was last night. It was Saturday night" -- yeah, and today being Sunday, it appears I missed the boat. Holy. Fucking. Shit.
:lol I'm sorry
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2009, 02:56:10 AM »
UFC 101 - my most epic fail in my MMA hobby to-date: I just got back from a trip to Hawaii, and was even on The Big Island on the night of the fight. I was Kona-side, not Hilo, but the whole island is huge into MMA and of course everyone's rooting for BJ. I'm there with family who have converged from all over the USA, but I warn them that I'm going to borrow my bro-in-law, head for a sports bar, and be gone for the duration of the event.

The morning after we arrive, I find a sports bar, it's got the flyers for a viewing event in the windows. US$10 cover, no problem, lots of Kona Brewing Company on tap -- this looks like it'll be heaven. I flag a waitress - "Hey, what time does the UFC thing start today? When should I show up?"

"It was last night. It was Saturday night" -- yeah, and today being Sunday, it appears I missed the boat. Holy. Fucking. Shit.
:lol I'm sorry

Yeah, pretty much epic suckitude. The rest of the vacation was tremendously good, digestive failure, jetlag, lava injuries and all, but this incident really did hurt. Seriously. In HAWAII, near-ish Hilo, while their homeboy defends his championship? Go on, get out. "Yesterday..."   :-\  :'(

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2009, 04:00:13 AM »
ginnnaaaaaa unf unf  :hump
(Image removed from quote.)

What's wrong with her big breasts, they look unnatural. She needs to lose 20 pounds

-fistfullofmetal

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2009, 04:54:59 AM »
Well, far be it from me to cast dispersions on such lovely items, but didn't she say something like, "Yeah, they're mine. I paid for them! Hahahah!" in an interview?

« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:21 AM »

:omg :omg :omg
orl

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2009, 12:56:42 AM »
She's gonna get her pretty face ruined by the cheeseburger. :(
AMC

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2009, 01:29:05 AM »
gina is too pretty for this.
nat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2009, 01:29:33 AM »
she got destroyed :(
AMC

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2009, 01:30:41 AM »
at least she looked good. doesn't she always have trouble making weight? she looked pretty slimmed down. she looked fantastic.
nat

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2009, 01:31:26 AM »
Yeah, she definitely did. She had no chance versus Mickey Rourke.
AMC

Hollywood

« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »
Too bad Gina lost. I watched UFC 100 replay tonight though, again rather than getting a feed. Wow, after seeing it again it boggles the mind how stupid Mir is. All the Lesnar ass kissing, but Mir had to make two of the stupidest moves I've ever seen. A jumping knee knowing he was going to fall on his back versus a guys who's only strength is to get on top of you and beat the shit out of you. Then after he's on the ground he turns his BACK to him. Man this fight just gets stupider the more I look at it. Frank Mir, you're a fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

In other news. Roy Jones Jr is still fighting and beat bum Jeff Lacy to retain some title I have barely heard of. It's like more obscure than any of the 4 or 5 main recognized titles. Just retire dude.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #72 on: August 16, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »

:rofl

Neither did this reporter:
[youtube=560,345] BVhEbTIExrk[/youtube]

Hollywood

« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2009, 04:12:01 AM »

:rofl

Neither did this reporter:
[youtube=560,345] BVhEbTIExrk[/youtube]

I think that was staged.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2009, 04:30:16 AM »
I wonder how long before Cyborg gets popped for roids
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2009, 05:30:12 AM »
Or for being a guy.

But seriously, that reporter looks like he really goes out. I think Cyborg held it longer than he expected, or he didn't know what was coming. That's a typical "all the way out" response.

Ellrick

« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2009, 04:37:49 PM »
Holy shit @ Gegard Mousasi making Babalu look like a fuxxing scrub, and after making Mark Hunt look like a scrub only 2 months ago. I hope he only learns MMA from fedor, and not how to manage his career though, so he can wind up in the UFC someday.

etiolate

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2009, 02:36:54 AM »
I'm new to MMA

Why do WEC fights have less KOs and submissions? Most of the WEC fights I see go all five rounds. When I watch UFC, it rarely goes to the third round.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2009, 05:41:56 AM »
Well for starters, only championship bouts go 5 rounds. You've probably been catching a lot of the most recent title fights on Versus, and I think those (other than the Torres fight a few weeks ago) just happened to be decisions.

The WEC divisions are also all really light. I think they cover Flyweight to Lightweight (125-155), while the UFC goes from Lightweight to Heavyweight (155-265). When it first started up the WEC had heavier weight classes and it was sort of like a training ground for fighters that weren't yet UFC ready, but they recently merged all the higher weight classes with the UFC.

Anyway, the lighter guys don't throw as much power, so it's only natural that you aren't going to see as many 1 hit KOs, but fighters still get TKOd. I don't really think there's that big of a difference in the finishing rate between the UFC and the WEC. You probably just happened to catch some really shitty WEC fights.

Holy shit @ Gegard Mousasi making Babalu look like a fuxxing scrub, and after making Mark Hunt look like a scrub only 2 months ago. I hope he only learns MMA from fedor, and not how to manage his career though, so he can wind up in the UFC someday.

It's already come out that his manager apparently bullshitted him about what the UFC was offering before he went with Strikeforce, so yeah.

"I just touched base with Joe Silva and he explained this is basically what happened regarding Mousasi:"

"Mousasi called him Saturday because he suspected he had been lied to by his manager, Appy Echteld, regarding an offer of $40,000/$40,000 from the UFC and then encouraged to accept an offer from Strikeforce. According to what Mousasi shared, that amount was less than half of the purse agreement he had with Affliction but he trusted his manager and signed with Strikeforce. The UFC would have honored the Affliction deal of $125,000 purse plus win bonus had Mousasi signed with them."

"Contrary to the claim made today by M-1 that Mousasi was on the phone during negotiations with Joe Silva for his services, Joe adamantly denies that is true. Had that been the case, there would have been no reason for Mousasi to call Joe to question Echteld’s claim of a $40,000/$40,000 offer from the UFC."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:59:05 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
LESNAR YOU'RE NEXT!

In an interview this morning, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Brock Lesnar will face Steve Carwin at UFC 106 in November:

"Brock is ready to go now and wants to fight. Carwin makes the most sense. He's 11-0 and he's been kicking the shit out of everybody. Gonzaga destroyed Cro Cop and he (Carwin) totally destroyed Gonzaga. Plus, he hates Brock Lesnar. It's going to be two huge guys going at it. He's got the power to knock anybody out and he's got great wrestling, too. He's one of the guys that has the size to match up with Brock, too."

OptimoPeach

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2009, 09:08:41 PM »
It's going to be two huge guys going at it.
I can almost see the dollar signs in his eyes :lol

Who knows, maybe Carwin will get lucky, but I don't see him doing much better than Mir. I do like this better than Velasquez at least
hi5

BlackMage

• The Panty-Peeler
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
plus cane is fighting ben rothwell which will be a good matchup.
UNF

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
It's going to be two huge guys going at it.
I can almost see the dollar signs in his eyes :lol

Who knows, maybe Carwin will get lucky, but I don't see him doing much better than Mir. I do like this better than Velasquez at least

Oh, there's little doubt in my mind Carwin will do better than Mir, simply due to style.

Carwin and Lesnar are almost carbon copies of each other.  Both are huge, massive wrestlers with heavy hands.  Carwin isn't going to flop to his back and concede the takedown like Mir.  This fight is going to be a battle of wrestling and slugging.  Brock will definitely have a strength and wrestling advantage.  Will it be enough to take Carwin down?  I'm not so sure, especially when Couture pretty much drew even with Brock in the wrestling aspect of their fight.  And who will have the striking/heavy hands advantage?  That's the question in my mind.

Carwin is a perfect 11-0, with no fights going to decision.  He clearly has heavy hands, and so does Brock.  If this one ends in the first round, it will be because of a big overhand right, not because someone was taken down and pounded on, imo.

edit:  Agreed with Blackmage.  Losing the Cain/Carwin fight is completely made up by seeing Carwin take on Brock, and Cain against Rothwell.  Rothwell will be a very good test for Cain.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:11:30 AM by Boogie »
MMA

OptimoPeach

« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2009, 12:22:09 AM »
I duno. I'm not all that familiar with Carwin's wrestling credentials, so maybe I'm underestimating him, but is he really comparable to Couture? I mean, yeah, I was surprised that Lesnar had as much trouble taking and keeping Randy down as he did, but I was mostly just inclined to give credit to Randy for being a beast.  I think Carwin will take it if they keep it on the feet, but I'm still expecting Lesnar to pound him out eventually.

And yeah, the Rothwell/Cain match-up is sweet. Is that going to be on the same card?
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2009, 04:35:30 AM »
Sweet: looks like the UFC is going to broadcast the undercard for free, prior to airing the pay-per-view.
http://punch.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/20/ufc-103-undercard-to-be-telvised-on-spike-tv/6361/

Hope it works out; this could further increase awareness of MMA.

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2009, 04:05:41 PM »
I duno. I'm not all that familiar with Carwin's wrestling credentials, so maybe I'm underestimating him, but is he really comparable to Couture? I mean, yeah, I was surprised that Lesnar had as much trouble taking and keeping Randy down as he did, but I was mostly just inclined to give credit to Randy for being a beast.  I think Carwin will take it if they keep it on the feet, but I'm still expecting Lesnar to pound him out eventually.

And yeah, the Rothwell/Cain match-up is sweet. Is that going to be on the same card?
Gonzanga took him down. I think Carwin's only chance is to land a shot before Lesnar can shoot because I don't think his wrestling even approaches Lesnar's or Couture's and if he gets taken down I see him getting controlled and dominated similar to Herring.
orl

Hollywood

« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2009, 05:44:35 PM »
Sweet: looks like the UFC is going to broadcast the undercard for free, prior to airing the pay-per-view.
http://punch.freedomblogging.com/2009/08/20/ufc-103-undercard-to-be-telvised-on-spike-tv/6361/

Hope it works out; this could further increase awareness of MMA.

Really smart move, but I'm really kind of disappointed that UFC didn't put together a really big card to go really head to head with boxing. It's an okay card:

Rich Franklin (No. 7 LHW) vs. Vitor Belfort (No. 8 MW)
Junior dos Santos vs. Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic
Martin Kampmann (No. 5 WW) vs. Mike Swick (No. 9 WW)
Josh Koscheck (No. 7 WW) vs. Frank Trigg

But feels more like a lot of guys who have lost a lot of name value over the years. Franklin feels like an also ran, Belfort fought nobodies in Strikeforce, Cro Cop hasn't been anything in UFC. Feels more like a Fight Night card, which is actually 3 days earlier in the week. Really wish UFC put together a stacked card with a title fight or two to really take it to boxing. It's a golden opportunity to take a chunk out of them.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2009, 08:53:50 AM »
If it were really about names, a stacked undercard would be stellar, but what I think they're trying to do is woo the boxing audience who doesn't yet know about MMA. If that assumption is correct, it's more about the action than the reputation, and this undercard will likely deliver.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
i know im late but loul @ gina getting destroyed
itm

E-DuB

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2009, 12:41:46 AM »
FightLine.com is reporting that UFC star Quinton ‘Rampage’ Jackson will be playing the role of B.A. Baracus, made famous by Mr. T, in a remake of The A-Team scheduled to be filmed next year.

Yeah I laughed. He has to have a scene where he's dry humping something though :hump

OptimoPeach

« Reply #90 on: August 27, 2009, 01:09:24 AM »
He was so awful in Midnight Meat Train. I'll be looking forward to this one.

Oh, and for whoever cares, Fedor/Rogers is confirmed :-\
hi5

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2009, 02:06:05 AM »
any videos of the gina fight?  :'(

pilonv1

« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2009, 02:18:25 AM »

Hope Rogers ko's him early. Then Fedor* can go away with Gina and I never hear of them again
itm

OptimoPeach

« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:14 AM »

Hope Rogers ko's him early. Then Fedor* can go away with Gina and I never hear of them again
Don't get your hopes up, Rogers was already looking shaken in the press conference

any videos of the gina fight?  :'(
http://www.worldofcombat.net/index.php?id=883&z=manprev
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2009, 04:17:20 AM »
Huh? It looks like the bell rang, the ref steps in to stop Cyborg as an end-of-round move, and Cyborg takes that as a win. Was everyone just so afraid to tell her that they just gave her the win?

Yeah, I think it would have ended soon in Round 2: Carano seemed ineffectively defensive the entire first round... but the bell's the bell, what?

OptimoPeach

« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2009, 12:55:39 PM »
They showed a slow-mo replay and it looked like the ref went to pull her off like a nanosecond before the bell rang. Besides that, Gina didn't seem to upset about it, so whatever lol.
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2009, 03:01:32 PM »

:duh :duh :duh
hi5

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
They showed a slow-mo replay and it looked like the ref went to pull her off like a nanosecond before the bell rang. Besides that, Gina didn't seem to upset about it, so whatever lol.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I resolved it in my head as well. Gina wasn't up and saying "OMG NO! I was just about to spring into action!"

I'm still waiting for the ruling to be overturned when Cyborg tests positive for penis.

Hollywood

« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2009, 11:51:38 PM »
HOLY shit Maia just got fucked up!

OptimoPeach

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »
:lol So much for his "improved striking". That was brutal
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2009, 12:01:37 AM »
:rofl Leben

Rosholt looks a little better since the last time I saw him. He used to block punches with his face in the WEC
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2009, 12:13:59 AM »
Damn the ref completely missed that tapout, fucking distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2009, 12:18:16 AM »
I know. I really don't get how they fuck up as frequently as they do.
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #103 on: August 30, 2009, 12:27:48 AM »
I hate Thiago Silva's face
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #104 on: August 30, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
Nighty night, Jardine. No chin :(
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #105 on: August 30, 2009, 12:51:36 AM »
:lol :lol :lol Rogan was just staring off into space. That guy is so high
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #106 on: August 30, 2009, 12:52:07 AM »
A lot of ownage tonight. Guy gets put to sleep the the point he's twitching, quickest KO in UFC with 7 seconds, someone get fucked up coming out with a knee injury, and Marquardy has one of the best KO's I've ever seen. Screw the GAFags bitching about this card. GO COUTURE.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2009, 12:56:37 AM »
Yeah, I was hoping the Jardine/Silva and Maia/Marquardt fights were going to be a little more competitive, but whatever. I didn't really have high expectations for this card, so I'm happy.

I have a feeling Randy is going to pound Nogueira through the mat, though.
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #108 on: August 30, 2009, 01:09:47 AM »
THAT IS WHY HE IS CAPTAIN AMERICA :rofl :rofl :rofl

edit: Holy shit, this is a war
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 01:12:25 AM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #109 on: August 30, 2009, 01:26:24 AM »
Well, Nogueira clearly won that. Glad to see that he's "back", but it sucks that it came at the price of another loss for Randy
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #110 on: August 30, 2009, 01:28:10 AM »
Lame. Nog won it for sure, but if this was 5 rounds, this would have possibly been one of those big fights Couture could have maybe pulled out. I think all UFC main events should be 5 rounds, don't think title fights should be the only ones.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2009, 01:32:37 AM »
I totally forgot it wasn't going to be 5 rounds until Goldberg said that. I'm not sure if Randy would have won that. He was getting tagged on the feet and was repeatedly swept on the ground. If anything I think Nogueira would have gotten a sub eventually.

But that was still an awesome fight, maybe the best of the year (that I can remember at least).
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2009, 01:43:05 AM »
Nog and Carwin should be a good fight  ;)

OptimoPeach

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2009, 04:20:47 AM »
Heh. I don't see Carwin making it past Lesnar, but I am glad that suddenly Brock's reign as champ isn't so definite.
hi5

pilonv1

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
So sick of Coutures boring fights. Big Nog is awesome
itm

OptimoPeach

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2009, 08:36:02 PM »
So sick of Brandon Vera's boring fights
Fixed
hi5

Hollywood

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2009, 03:35:22 AM »
Didn't even bother watching boxing OR UFC tonight. I kinda figured they both were going to suck, and it didn't disappoint.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2009, 03:47:37 AM »
103 was awesome!

Floyd won via decision, big surprise there. I hear it was a beating, though
hi5

pilonv1

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2009, 10:14:58 AM »
So sick of Brandon Vera's boring fights
Fixed

well if there's one dude who can make me cheer for randy it's shitty very

103 was pretty good. the undercard shown on Spike was fucking amazing, the Story fight ruled. Efrain had an awesome knockout too.

Don't want to see Mirko again though. Let him go to Japan and take the Fedor* route of fighting cans
itm

OptimoPeach

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2009, 08:34:20 PM »
Don't want to see Mirko again though.
:( He stated in a Croatian interview after the fight that he's pretty much done. He basically said he's mentally out of it, washed up, and was owned last night. He also said that the last punch tore the inside of his eyelid, and he had to have 4 stitches.  At least he can acknowledge that he needs to hang it up unlike some of the other guys (Chuck, Wanderlei).

I'm jizzing at the prospect of Belfort/Silva:

Are they planning on making it a habit of showing some of the undercard on Spike, or was that just to compete with the boxing PPV?
hi5