Author Topic: Hip Hop  (Read 730297 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: Hip Hop
« Reply #660 on: March 06, 2012, 02:36:05 AM »

Peter Rosenberg fighting the good fight  /salute

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #661 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:42 AM »
new El-P

also the new Big KRIT is amazing

Phoenix Dark

Fifstar

« Reply #663 on: March 23, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
Gulp

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #664 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »
Damn. I'm trying not to get too hyped, but every Nas verse I've heard this year has been dope. Anticipating Nas albums is like the music equivalent of the Sonic Cycle though. Early word sounds promising, production rumors sound good, first street single is solid...then the album comes out and is ehh, with average production.

He's allegedly working with Premo, Pete Rock, Exile, Statik Selecka, 9th Wonder, Q-Tip, even Diplo. Sounds awesome but both singles released thus far are produced by Salaam Remi. They're solid, especially the first one...but I still find it odd that we haven't heard anything from the other producers. We'll see  :-\

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #665 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »
The one searing white-hot question: is it as lyric-ridden as the regarded poet Bronsonitis?

I need to know the answer.
:{]

king of the internet

• 🚽
« Reply #666 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »
enjoying this Dead Prez track:

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #667 on: March 24, 2012, 01:31:57 AM »
Damn. I'm trying not to get too hyped, but every Nas verse I've heard this year has been dope. Anticipating Nas albums is like the music equivalent of the Sonic Cycle though. Early word sounds promising, production rumors sound good, first street single is solid...then the album comes out and is ehh, with average production.

He's allegedly working with Premo, Pete Rock, Exile, Statik Selecka, 9th Wonder, Q-Tip, even Diplo. Sounds awesome but both singles released thus far are produced by Salaam Remi. They're solid, especially the first one...but I still find it odd that we haven't heard anything from the other producers. We'll see  :-\

I'm optimistic for Nas' new release.  It seems like there isn't a gimmick this time like there was with his last two solo efforts.  That and Kelis needs $55,000 a month in child support, so he's got to come up with some hot shit.
🍆🍆

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #668 on: March 24, 2012, 03:56:17 AM »
New Nas lp to be called N is Dead oh God please pay attention to me this one is as good as Illmatic this time really I swear?
Hi

ZephyrFate

« Reply #669 on: March 24, 2012, 04:19:59 AM »
Golden instrumental hiphop: www.suhnraw.bandcamp.com

also Endtroducing... by DJ Shadow. I'm almost more addicted to this stuff than jazz.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #670 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:53 PM »
Stones Throw debuts the most exciting hip hop project since Dilla and Madlib joined forces for Jaylib – a 40+ track album from production outfit Quakers, featuring Golden Era crate dug beats and visceral verses from the likes of Dead Prez, Jonwayne, Aloe Blacc and so many more. Quakers consists of Aussie beatmaster Katalyst, Fuzzface (a.k.a. Portishead‘s Geoff Barrow), and 7-Stu-7, a triage of venerable producers in their own right whose combined efforts prove boom-bap is far from dead.
http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2012/03/quakers-interview-streetdate

hmm could be interesting.

guilty simpson :piss2

Robo

« Reply #671 on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:35 AM »
I had to delete Guilty Simpson after the last time I played it.  Such a frustrating listen.
obo

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #672 on: March 28, 2012, 01:57:21 AM »
I like "that type" of stuff but good lord he's boring. No interesting visuals and horrible similes, and no flow. I love Detroit hip hop but he can gtfo. Not a big Royce 5'9 fan either but that's on the down low :shh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #673 on: April 10, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »
first the fat boys break up...

Apparently Havoc sent a bunch of tweets over the weekend dissing Prodigy, saying he has evidence he was banging dudes in prison, calling him soft, etc. Initially everyone assumed Havoc's phone was hacked, but later a few people confirmed they came from Havoc. Then Havoc put out a statement denying everything, saying his phone was stolen because he left it at a gas station. But all the tweets were done from the web...

Earlier today Havoc did a radio interview to clear things up...but....ehh....yeah
http://rapradar.com/2012/04/10/havoc-calls-the-breakfast-club/

Sounds like bullshit to me, it seems clear he actually sent the tweets but is trying to deny everything. Damn, Mobb Deep RIP..?  :'(

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #675 on: April 26, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2012/04/26/nas-daughters-prod-no-i-d/
dope :bow

Nas totally aired out his daughter for all to hear, holy shit :rofl :rock

Phoenix Dark

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #677 on: May 05, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
first the fat boys break up...

Apparently Havoc sent a bunch of tweets over the weekend dissing Prodigy, saying he has evidence he was banging dudes in prison, calling him soft, etc. Initially everyone assumed Havoc's phone was hacked, but later a few people confirmed they came from Havoc. Then Havoc put out a statement denying everything, saying his phone was stolen because he left it at a gas station. But all the tweets were done from the web...

Earlier today Havoc did a radio interview to clear things up...but....ehh....yeah
http://rapradar.com/2012/04/10/havoc-calls-the-breakfast-club/

Sounds like bullshit to me, it seems clear he actually sent the tweets but is trying to deny everything. Damn, Mobb Deep RIP..?  :'(
Rapradar is just such an amazing name. It's like literally one vowel short of irony.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #678 on: May 05, 2012, 05:23:45 PM »
oh yea forgot to mention, apparently Mobb Deep didn't break up afterall. They're going on tour, still releasing the album, etc. That being said, it's pretty clear those tweets were real and they had some type of falling out. I guess they decided business over bullshit, thankfully

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #679 on: May 05, 2012, 05:23:55 PM »
I've been mostly listening to Liquid Swords again, GZA weaves silken lyric from his abdomen, and the best thing is, he usually spouts his words in one shot, unlike most sound-bite zaggin these days.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #680 on: May 05, 2012, 05:25:33 PM »
Like I said PD, gays and rap are like a married couple, they might share the same bed, but sometimes anal sex just isn't cool.

Why no merge.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #681 on: May 17, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #682 on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:52 AM »

hmmm

TheRealPeteRock ‏@PeteRock

No disrespect to lupe fiasco and i like him alot but TROY should be left alone. Feel so violated,the beat is next to my heart and was made outta anguish and pain. When it's like that it should not be touched by no one!

Thoughts?

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #683 on: May 29, 2012, 10:31:16 AM »
Why do most of these guys like slowing down their voices ? Is it to show just how actually really fucking baked they actually are f'reals?
Man the guy who appears on Action Bronson, but actually appears to be a worse rapper than AB, he keeps brushing his hair like some sort of creepy gender-bending sexual predator. Those are my thoughts of the day.
And Efil 4 Zaggin is still a good album.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #685 on: June 06, 2012, 03:25:03 AM »

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #686 on: June 08, 2012, 04:03:16 PM »

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #687 on: June 08, 2012, 08:24:25 PM »
streets disciple, my raps are trifle

I heard Large Pro's new album (coming out next month I think) is good, I'll be checking it out

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #688 on: June 08, 2012, 08:43:17 PM »
I'm reading J-Zone's memoir Root for the Villain and it is awesome stuff.

Makes me hella nostalgic for 90s Queens

And I was living in DC listening to punk rock at the time.

fucking hilarious

I bought it mostly because of this podcast

http://qn5.com/blog/entry/news-tacos-chocolate-milk-episode-5-w-j-zone/
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #689 on: June 13, 2012, 04:35:41 AM »

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/17524/joey_bada_1999.html

Getting mad DITC and Black Moon vibes from this. Dude can rhyme and his crew can rhyme for the most part (something that's unfortunately rare with a lot of good new rappers who's crew sucks *cough ASAP Rocky*). And the production is dope

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #690 on: June 13, 2012, 07:25:02 AM »
kid is 17.  jesus.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #691 on: June 15, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
aw, dip.

Northside festival is going on.

Last night saw Kool Keith perform for an hour.

Tonight I get to see Dinero Farrar

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and uh kitty pryde  :-\
[close]

UPDATE
too drunk.  didn't end up at this show but i hear it was a fucking mess.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:41:58 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #692 on: June 19, 2012, 09:41:31 PM »
thank you, based summer shows.

just got back from Action Bronson and Das Racist @ Red Hook park

Action Bronson took out two gallon bags of weed an was throwing out buds into the audience.

it was amazing.  He brought out Smoke DZA and Mayhem Lauren to rap and played his brand new one that he did w/ Alchemist.
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #693 on: June 20, 2012, 02:24:20 AM »
Sounds awesome. Can't wait for his album with Alchemist, should be super dope.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #694 on: June 20, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
holy shit he did it in front of the NYPD  :lol

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #695 on: June 20, 2012, 01:46:54 PM »
when the concert started there were 2 cops in the park.  by the end there were about 20 cops for about 100 people or so.  It wasn't really that packed.

But, yeah, right in front of the NYPD.  The guy running the show had to constantly remind people that there was no smoking in the park to the crowd's laughter.

Brand Nubian is tonight in the same park, but it's currently 104 thanks to the heat index, so fuck that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:49:49 PM by Eric P »
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #696 on: June 22, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
action bronson tossing weed into the audience

Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #697 on: June 22, 2012, 11:37:43 PM »
I went to Ab-Soul's show at SOBs last night. Joey Badass was a surprise guest and did a short set before Ab-Soul got on stage. I liked what I heard, but he needs develop a better stage presence and not bring 20 of is friends onstage.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #698 on: June 22, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
Dude's a kid (still in high school), he'll figure it out soon

How was Ab? I have his new album, it has some good songs but I'm not really feeling it that much. I rarely listen

Beezy

« Reply #699 on: June 23, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
True.

Soul was great. Not as hype as Kendrick and Q were when I saw them of course, but he still has a lot of energy and knows how to control the crowd. Pineal Gland is surprisingly hard as fuck live though. Saving it for last was a smart move. The only disappointment was when he preforms a song that has a guest (Terrorist Threats w/ DB, SOPA w/ Q, etc.) and they're not there.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #700 on: June 27, 2012, 01:30:15 AM »
Meyhem Lauren ft. Action Bronson & AG Da Coroner - BBQ Brisket (Prod. Harry Fraud)

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2012, 09:26:23 AM »
so good.  Did you listen to his last album?  Dude's debut release was a double fucking album.  The first few songs were kind of horrible, but it picked up right quick

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2012, 06:11:42 PM »
Yea it's a great album. Pretty consistent for such a long album. Also, J-Love does some of the best 90s style boom bap production.

Bronson blew up last year and Meyhem has been kind of slept on. I hope he has a big year. He's getting love from some big producers now (Alchemist, Statik Seleckta, Harry Fraud, etc) which is a good sign

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
well Bronson is a rapping morbidly obese white chef who sounds like ghostface.  no wonder bloggers love him.

meyhem lauren is/was a part of the 'lo lifes. it's probably better to ignore them than get something wrong about them.

check out the PackFM thing I linked in What Are You Listening 2.  I think you'll dig it. 
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2012, 08:26:49 PM »
Ah yes, I agree and have been making that point on other forums. Bronson is basically the most entertaining personality to enter the scene in a long time, plus he's a dope rapper. But luckily Meyhem and some other NY dudes are continuing to build buzz as well.

I know some people who are crazy for Polo shit. Also some of my favorite hip hop personalities like Dallas Penn, Combat Jack, and Just Blaze are heavily into that scene. I kind of wish I could have gotten into collecting something, seems like a cool hobby to have. I've never been into shoes, I collected comics as a kid but fell off when I got older. I have some vinyl and if anything can hook me, it's that.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #705 on: June 27, 2012, 09:10:49 PM »
Lo Lifes are sliiightly different

Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #706 on: June 27, 2012, 09:13:37 PM »
I wast just saying I know some folks obsessed with it, although I should have prefaced that with "not crazy enough to kill people for it"  :lol

There were some Lo Lifes in Detroit even in the early 2000s, at least on the east side

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #707 on: June 27, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »
aight.  Basically a crew that had nice shirts.

omg.  If you watch that trailer you can see someone who made a shirt out of two printed scarfs
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #708 on: June 27, 2012, 09:52:44 PM »
You can wear Polo shirts in prison?  ???

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #709 on: June 28, 2012, 01:50:38 PM »
that mixtape is out now.  I'm listening to this week's Stay Hatin' so I haven't had a chance to do much beyond add it to itunes.  i hope this greedhead association gives him that boost he needs to get to next level
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #710 on: June 28, 2012, 04:17:49 PM »
I can't believe I've been sleeping on Dope Folks records so long.

Old ass forgotten or unreleased records given new (and expensive) life on vinyl

check this fucking track out
http://dopefolksrecords.bandcamp.com/track/we-got-pull-instrumental
Tonya

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #711 on: July 01, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
The new Meyhem is good, played it a lot over the weekend during a long car ride. AG The Coroner may not be some great rapper but oh boy, his adlibs crack me up. Dipset level nonsense

I can't believe I've been sleeping on Dope Folks records so long.

Old ass forgotten or unreleased records given new (and expensive) life on vinyl

check this fucking track out
http://dopefolksrecords.bandcamp.com/track/we-got-pull-instrumental

doope

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #712 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
Had a bit of a hip hop weekend.

Friday was El-P's homecoming for the Cancer 4 Cure tour he's doing w/ Killer Mike, Exquire and Despot.

Despot was great. I hadn't seen him in a year or so, and he had all new material.  He did a bit where he exercised to an instrumental track and he pulled in the rest of the tour.  So Killer Mike, El-P, Exquire and 4 other people came out onto stage and did this surreal dance routine.  Really one of the last things I'd expected to see.

I've never had the chance to see Exquire live, but he was very good live.  Quite charming and his crew did great back up.  His music was so bass heavy that it made the sound system burp a bit. 

Killer Mike was great he met Exquire's mom during the tour and she requested that he play "Kryptonite" so he did while she danced on stage.

El-P played all of Cancer 4 Cure in order and then had a 5 song encore.  I was exhausted so I missed the encore, but he did Can I Kick it.  I'd have loved to have seen that.

It was probably one of the best hip hop shows I've seen in the past year.  Great stuff all around.

Last night I went to a new venue in Bushwick to see Cam'Ron play with a whole mess of younger artists.  Most of them were flat out horrible.  At one point, a crew was pissed no one gave a fuck about them so they went out into the audience and tried to start a mosh pit but mostly it was them running into apathetic people.  At another point someone got so pissed that no one cared about them that he yelled "I'm sick of you all just here for Cam'Ron.  FUCK CAM'RON" and the whole audience booed them off the stage.  It got tense, the actual rapper had to kick that guy off the stage and take the mic back.

Two9s out of Georgia were pretty good. 

Cam'Ron earned the name "Killer Cam"  He played a short set (about 30 minutes) but it was packed with hits and he went in hard as fuck.  I was kind of hoping for some DipSet stuff because they have an album coming out but alas.

Best thing about the venue is that it's a 15 minute walk from me.  Slaughterhouse is playing there next month.  I am contemplating going to that.  Security was hilarious.  Acting shook and really really searching everyone.  I had to take my shoes off, dudes smelled wallets for pot, and one dude looked like he got under his balls checked.  Hilariously they didn't "find" the two vicoden I had in my bag left over from my dental surgery.

The Brooklyn Hip Hop fest sounds like it was amazing.  Busta Rhymes showed up w/ Tribe to do Scenario, he brought out Slick Rick (in all pink including the eye patch) and there was a Leaders reunion. 

Voice did a write up of the Cam'Ron show
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2012/07/camron_the_well_july_14_review.php

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:00:44 AM by Eric P »
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #713 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:54 AM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/07/13/156327372/youve-never-heard-public-enemys-it-takes-a-nation-of-millions-to-hold-us-back

woof

21 year old intern for NPR listens to It Takes a Nation and writes it up

it doesn't go well
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #714 on: July 17, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »
I'm gonna see Nas tonight! My friend is going for her job I think and she had a plus 1. :hyper

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #715 on: July 17, 2012, 01:49:49 PM »
But when "Don't Believe the Hype" comes on, I'm disoriented — I know I'm listening to one of the most acclaimed rap records of all time, but nothing grabs me and sucks me in. Chuck D.'s unvarnished vocals sit front and center in the mix, accompanied only by percussion that, to me, sounds thin and funk guitar samples that, frankly, I find cartoonish.

To me, Chuck D.'s legendary flow also comes across like a caricature. His syncopation strikes me as strange, foreign — and when he does reach for melody, like in the opening verses of "Night of the Living Baseheads," it ascends harshly like the bark of a drill sergeant. It's rough, rugged, built like a tank — and I'm coming at it expecting a Bentley.
Ultimately, I have no regrets leaving It Takes A Nation on what is now an entirely metaphorical shelf. I'll gladly say thank-you, but given the choice, I'm going to blast Drake's infectiously triumphant mp3s every time.
*exits page, deletes internet history*

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #716 on: July 18, 2012, 12:49:34 AM »

First time I've vehemently disagreed with one of his reviews in a long time

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #717 on: July 18, 2012, 12:35:40 PM »
I'm gonna see Nas tonight! My friend is going for her job I think and she had a plus 1. :hyper

did you go?  I didn't know it was at Tammany Hall.  I hate that place.  The stage is small and the building it laid out like a rail road apartment.  I'd hate to see anything popular there.

He started with "Daughters," an ode to his struggles as a parent. "I love this record," Nas joyfully expressed. "So does [his daughter] Destiny. Her mother hates it, though. I don't know... she's fucking crazy."

Nas won.
Tonya

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #718 on: July 18, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
Tonya

Beezy

« Reply #719 on: July 19, 2012, 02:41:06 AM »

did you go?  I didn't know it was at Tammany Hall.  I hate that place.  The stage is small and the building it laid out like a rail road apartment.  I'd hate to see anything popular there.
Yeah, that place is small as hell. I got in for free and Nas was literally like 2-3 feet in front of me though, so I wasn't complaining. He brought AZ back from the dead to perform a couple of songs with him. The only other guest was Swizz Beats for Summer on Smash.