Author Topic: The Bore Steam Thread :monocle  (Read 1021126 times)

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
Re: Evilbore Steam Thread :monocle
« Reply #600 on: April 28, 2010, 03:30:56 AM »
I haven't even played a game in a couple of months, yet I'm tempted by this Rockstar deal.
AMC

cool breeze

« Reply #601 on: April 28, 2010, 10:37:15 AM »
Bully is $7.50

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #602 on: April 28, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
I haven't even played a game in a couple of months, yet I'm tempted by this Rockstar deal.

Me too.  There's a good chance that I'd have jumped on the whole collection if I hadn't already spent $30 on GTA4 episodes last week.  I wish Valve would at least let people gift extra copies. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #603 on: April 28, 2010, 10:56:54 AM »
Bully is $7.50

The only Rockstar game I don't have (I bought the Rockstar Pack prior to them adding Bully, GTA4, and GTA Episodes), so I guess I'm down for $7.50. Apparently they just patched it up earlier this week.
©@©™

Smooth Groove

« Reply #604 on: April 28, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
Rockstar is slow with their patches but at least they still update their games 2 yrs after release. 

cool breeze

« Reply #605 on: April 28, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
I wish I bought GTA4 yesterday now
[youtube=560,345]R1Hm4K5_Pr0[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]zm7jr9-URQk[/youtube]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #606 on: April 28, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
WOW
dog

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #607 on: April 28, 2010, 03:27:39 PM »

Me too.  There's a good chance that I'd have jumped on the whole collection if I hadn't already spent $30 on GTA4 episodes last week.  I wish Valve would at least let people gift extra copies. 

I'm gonna end up getting it, because the only game in the package that I have on PC is GTA:SA. And maybe I should give GTA4 another shot after selling my 360 copy so quickly.
AMC

cool breeze

« Reply #608 on: April 28, 2010, 03:32:15 PM »
well, the current deal is GTA1 to San Andreas for $7.50 (75% off)  and Episodes from Liberty City is $23 (25% off)

I was stupid to think episode would be 75% off during this deal.  I hope GTA4 is put up eventually, and now when I have class again  :maf

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #609 on: April 28, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »
shit cock, I just bought Vice City on the first day of the sale.
うぐう

cool breeze

« Reply #610 on: April 28, 2010, 03:38:02 PM »
assuming San Andreas is $2.50 later on, it isn't really a problem.  GTA1 and 2 are freeware and Vice City and GTA3 were both $2.50.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #611 on: April 28, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »
GTAIV already went up yesterday.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #612 on: April 28, 2010, 03:56:11 PM »
oh wow. Good deal.

So I've bagged:
GTA1 -> GTAIV for $15 total.  Cannot complain about that.

Glad I didn't jump on the $42 deal since I already have Max Payne 1/2.  Only thing I'm missing now is GTA Eps from liberty city, but I already have that on X360 and if I want to double dip I'll get it in a year for $7.50 like I just did for GTAIV.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #613 on: April 28, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
I wish I bought GTA4 yesterday now
[youtube=560,345]R1Hm4K5_Pr0[/youtube]
[youtube=560,345]zm7jr9-URQk[/youtube]

You and me both goddamn
SRY

Smooth Groove

« Reply #614 on: April 28, 2010, 05:45:04 PM »
Yeah, I bagged the GTA classics package as well even though I've got everything from two and up.  I don't generally double-dip but $7.50 for the sake of no-discs, hassle-free installation is too cheap to pass up. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2010, 06:03:08 PM »
Played some Bully this afternoon, it was okay.
©@©™

Smooth Groove

« Reply #616 on: April 28, 2010, 06:04:42 PM »
Does the performance get really flaky in the latter parts of Bully?  I've dabbled with the early parts of the game and it seemed to be running fine, unlike what most people reported. 

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #617 on: April 28, 2010, 06:07:09 PM »
I think they patched out most of the major performance issues. I've only played an hour into it though, so I don't know if it gets worse later on.
©@©™

cool breeze

« Reply #618 on: April 28, 2010, 06:48:09 PM »
GTAIV already went up yesterday.

I know.  I was in class  :'(

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #619 on: April 28, 2010, 06:50:26 PM »
Dammit , I really wish they did this before the Vice City sale. Now the only game I want out of that bundle is San Andreas. I think its safe to say it will be on sale sometime this week though.
jon

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #620 on: April 28, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »
Fuck you and your stupid sales Steam.
itm

cool breeze

« Reply #621 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
Max Payne 2 is $2.50

cool breeze

« Reply #622 on: April 29, 2010, 11:44:31 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/12120/

San Andreas is $5

75% off but it turns out San Andreas was $20 instead of $10

Kestastrophe

« Reply #623 on: April 29, 2010, 05:41:57 PM »
wtf, san andreas sale over? fffffffffuuuuuuuu  :maf
jon

pilonv1

« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »
ffs this is the most distinguished mentally-challenged sale ever

Weekend deal is good though:

Codemasters Racing Pack is $17.50

But you can buy them individually

DiRT $2.50
DiRT2 $10
FUEL $3.75
GRID $6.25
ToCA Race Driver 3 2.50
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 07:31:44 PM by pilonv1 »
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #625 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:49 PM »
Hmmm, the only one of those I own is Grid on X360 (which I still haven't gotten around to playing  :'()

I thought I hear Fuel was terrible?  And dunno if I want ToCA.  Maybe I'll just pick up DiRT 1+2.

cool breeze

« Reply #626 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »
yeah, I've heard bad things about DIRT

how is GRID or DIRT 1?

Smooth Groove

« Reply #627 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:54 PM »
Hmmm, the only one of those I own is Grid on X360 (which I still haven't gotten around to playing  :'()

I thought I hear Fuel was terrible?  And dunno if I want ToCA.  Maybe I'll just pick up DiRT 1+2.

ToCA is very sim-my so probably not.  Dirt 1 + 2 on the PC blows away the console versions.  Surprisingly, the sequel runs better than the original despite having noticeable graphical updates. 

pilonv1

« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
Dirt 2 is great, especially if you have a DX11 card
itm

Arbys Roast Beef Sandwich

• •••
« Reply #629 on: April 29, 2010, 10:32:50 PM »
Is FUEL any good?
うぐう

cool breeze

« Reply #630 on: April 29, 2010, 10:34:27 PM »
wait wait wait

my above post I meant to say I heard bad things about FUEL.  I heard good things about Dirt and GRID.

FUEL is supposed to be like an off road Burnout Paradise, but really empty and too big.

Bebpo

« Reply #631 on: April 30, 2010, 12:19:15 AM »
Man, I dunno if the GTA classic pack was a good deal, even at $7.50

Tried playing GTA1/2 and personally I don't think think they hold up anymore.  Not seeing where you are going when driving beyond 10 feet is kind of...not so fun.  I think Chinatown Wars camera was pulled back further which made it a little more acceptable.

Tried playing San Andreas and multitude of problems:
-highest resolution offered was 1600x~; no way to get 1080p even though the non-steam version post hot-coffee patch natively is supposed to support it
-awful tearing with no in-game v-sync option.  When I tried to use D3D it freaks out the program after you start a game and I had to log off to get out
-no native X360 controller support.  Had to use keyboard + mouse and the controls are not the greatest
-I was having sound issues.  Sound effects were really low or non-existent

Basically seemed very problematic and if I ever want to play SA I'd have to spend a bunch of hours trying to tweak this or just play the PS2 version.  I don't see GTA3 or VC working any better :X

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: April 30, 2010, 12:24:07 AM »
Man, I feel the exact opposite. I've played all three of the PS2 games recently and they all run just fine, no Xbox360 controller support but I've done just fine with keyboard and mouse.

And I still really love GTA2. It's got some issues and can be a bit archaic in some ways, but it's really fun and doesn't get bogged down by all the cinematic-ness of the later games.
dog

cool breeze

« Reply #633 on: April 30, 2010, 12:28:01 AM »
Bebpo, if you have an Nvidia card, use the nvidia control panel or nhancer (a more advanced version of the control panel) to force vsync and anti-aliasing.  Don't use D3Do.

The only problem I have with Vice City, and San Andreas seems to have the problem too, is that they use Vert- wide screen meaning they crop the top and bottom of the screen to give the widescreen effect; the hud also gets stretched.  I wouldn't be so upset if there wasn't a patch that fixes this for Vice City, but it doesn't work with the Steam verison.  The patch just extends he horizontal view without cropping like widescreen should be.

actually, if you don't have nhancer, it is a useful tool to have:  http://www.nhancer.com/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 12:30:08 AM by swaggaz »

Bebpo

« Reply #634 on: April 30, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
k, will try that.

Just tried GTAIV and it runs pretty well (50-60fps range).  Just wish the game supported AA as the jaggies everywhere in the city are very distracting (and the low res textures everywhere since I can't go higher than medium on texture quality  :'()

Forgot that the cars handle like molasses in the game, lol

Bebpo

« Reply #635 on: April 30, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »
Man, I feel the exact opposite. I've played all three of the PS2 games recently and they all run just fine, no Xbox360 controller support but I've done just fine with keyboard and mouse.

And I still really love GTA2. It's got some issues and can be a bit archaic in some ways, but it's really fun and doesn't get bogged down by all the cinematic-ness of the later games.

I think I'd like GTA2 better if I could play it in a window so it doesn't look so stretched out/ugly on a 1080p screen.  When I click WINDOW under the options box it doesn't do anything :(

Bebpo

« Reply #636 on: April 30, 2010, 12:54:40 AM »
I guess I'm just spoiled by GOG and their dedication to making old games run well on modern pcs.  I sometimes forget when they do these steam deals for cheap that non-optimized pre-PS3/X360 gen games don't always work well on today's computers. 

cool breeze

« Reply #637 on: April 30, 2010, 01:05:06 AM »
I recently heard GOG apparently did that.  I'm gonna buy Outcast from it since they fixed it to work on modern computers.

k, will try that.

Just tried GTAIV and it runs pretty well (50-60fps range).  Just wish the game supported AA as the jaggies everywhere in the city are very distracting (and the low res textures everywhere since I can't go higher than medium on texture quality  :'()

nhancer allows you to force AA (different types too) for any game

like I said, it is useful tool to have.

pilonv1

« Reply #638 on: April 30, 2010, 01:10:11 AM »
Now I don't know whether I should or should not get the Rockstar pack, I really only want San Andreas, but having no controller suppport is terrible :(
itm

Bebpo

« Reply #639 on: April 30, 2010, 01:13:38 AM »
Ok, with vsync/triple buffering San Andreas is fine.  The Vert- thing is kind of annoying along with stretched texted/menus but playing in 4:3 feels too claustrophobic so I can deal with it to use the full screen. 
I think the keyboard + mouse controls are probably ok once you adjust.

Now I don't know whether I should or should not get the Rockstar pack, I really only want San Andreas, but having no controller suppport is terrible :(

It supports joypads so there may be a way to get the X360 controller working right.  When I tried I could move around with the left analogue but the right analogue did nothing and I couldn't figure out how to make it control the camera.

Bebpo

« Reply #640 on: April 30, 2010, 01:29:06 AM »
I recently heard GOG apparently did that.  I'm gonna buy Outcast from it since they fixed it to work on modern computers.

k, will try that.

nhancer allows you to force AA (different types too) for any game

like I said, it is useful tool to have.

Doesn't work for GTAIV.  Apparently there's no way to do AA with the engine?  I read that you have to do SSAA through something and it's a big processor hit and not that effective in motion.  Kind of a shame since it's a nice looking engine/city.

Ah, apparently in Directx9 you can't do AA & HDR.  Since GTA4 is dx9 and usese HDR you can't have AA.  There are some mods that tweak the post-processing to smooth it out a bit though.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:33:58 AM by Bebpo »

cool breeze

« Reply #641 on: April 30, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »
Steam has Manhunt and Max Payne back on sale (Max Payne bundle, both games for under $4), they had bully up again yesterday, so they better have GTA4 up again  :maf

Bebpo

« Reply #642 on: April 30, 2010, 04:43:52 PM »
well I ended up caving on the Codemaster Racing pack.  I always wanted to play Dirt but it was OOP for X360/PS3 after a bit and wanted to play Dirt2 since it looks so nice.  Plus Fuel sounds interesting enough to check out for a few hours (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/06/22/fuel-around-the-world-in-eight-hours/).  Grid is worth the double dip for better resolution/framerate.  And Toca 3 is just a bonus.

Plus Dirt 2/Fuel are GWFL so you get X360 achievements, which is nice.  Finally almost all the games (maybe not Toca 3) have X360 controller support.  All that was enough to push me over for $17

Smooth Groove

« Reply #643 on: April 30, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »
Grid is a real solid game on the PC.  You should be able to get it looking pretty good on your rig, Bebpo. 

About GTA4's lack of AA, I think it was just due to poor programming on Rockstar's part.  The damn thing takes a whopping 1,300 megabytes of framebuffer memory to fully maximize!  There are much better looking games on the PC that require far less memory than GTA4.  The HDR + AA is a hindrance but most newer hardware + drivers have found ways around it.  GTA4 is probably the only big title left that can't have some kinda AA forced on it.  It's a shame because you'd think that, with two extra years, Rockstar would at least fix the AA issue in GTA4 episdoes. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: April 30, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »
San Andreas is back on sale for $5.
dog

Kestastrophe

« Reply #645 on: April 30, 2010, 06:20:36 PM »
:bow
jon

Bebpo

« Reply #646 on: April 30, 2010, 06:32:50 PM »
About GTA4's lack of AA, I think it was just due to poor programming on Rockstar's part.  The damn thing takes a whopping 1,300 megabytes of framebuffer memory to fully maximize!  There are much better looking games on the PC that require far less memory than GTA4.  The HDR + AA is a hindrance but most newer hardware + drivers have found ways around it.  GTA4 is probably the only big title left that can't have some kinda AA forced on it.  It's a shame because you'd think that, with two extra years, Rockstar would at least fix the AA issue in GTA4 episdoes. 

Yeah, it really kills me because as the first person mod shows, GTAIV's city is mighty impressive.  It has this great sense of realism and scale.  Almost like a sim where you are really there living in it.  But then becuase it's a city and thus has lines everywhere the lack of AA takes you out of the experience and reminds you that you are just playing a videogame since everything shimmers as you drive around.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #647 on: April 30, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »
I bought the Agatha Christie Collection and Whispered World, gonna get my adventure gaming on. I've played Evil Under the Sun already, it was pretty sweet.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #648 on: April 30, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
This is the first time in a while that I've bought a collection with huuuuuge games (racing game collection).  Must be like 50gigs total.  Need Fiossssss

Bebpo

« Reply #649 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:35 PM »
I've managed to download 2 games so far.  Been downloading since like 2pm.

2 hours of downloading later:
Fuel - Doesn't run because Steam is sold out of keys and I have to wait until they get more from the publisher.

Dirt - Game starts up.  Go through all the menus.  Forced to watched 5 min tutorial telling me HOW TO PICK RACE  ::) go to start race, race loads and...crash.
oh wait, apparently the steam version of Dirt doesn't support Windows 7 even though the retail version does!   ::) ::)
DiRT 1 works perfectly fine on Windows 7 with the latest retail patch applied (it removed part of the SecuROM protection that made it incompatible in the first place).
For some idiotic reason this patch was never applied to the Steam version and the retail patch is incompatible as far as I know.

Remember the old saying:
Never buy a Codemasters game on Steam ... unless you want to be screwed over.

Yet it seems to magically work for about 50% of people on Win7, unfortunately I am not one of them.

Between the issues I was having with GTA pack yesterday and these issues.  I'm really starting to get upset with Steam.  I'd always thought they were awesome and waited to buy all my pc games until they were on steam because I love the interface, the achievements, the auto-updating, the ability to have this digital collection at my fingertips for decades to come.  But if older games are going to have compatibility issues AND you can't use official/unofficial patches to fix them because the steam version of the .exe is unique....seems like I'm just throwing my money down the toilet for some of this stuff.

I think for all games if you get a cracked no_cd.exe and replace the one in the main game directory it'll put the .exe on the same level as the retail disc.  Might need to see if I can fix Dirt this way.  I'd like to actually play it!

Smooth Groove

« Reply #650 on: April 30, 2010, 11:45:43 PM »

Dirt - Game starts up.  Go through all the menus.  Forced to watched 5 min tutorial telling me HOW TO PICK RACE  ::) go to start race, race loads and...crash.
oh wait, apparently the steam version of Dirt doesn't support Windows 7 even though the retail version does!   ::) ::)

It's probably the I7 bug.  If you're using an I7 and have hyperthreading on, the game gets confused because it doesn't know what to do with 8 threads.

Check the fix near the bottom of the page: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880461

Bebpo

« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2010, 11:59:06 PM »
Hey, that worked!  Thanks :D

Game is ...not as graphically impressive as I remember the X360 demo being 3-4 years ago.  Time sure raises expectations.

Bebpo

« Reply #652 on: May 01, 2010, 01:00:14 AM »
Grid runs a smooth 60fps and looks better than Dirt but still console softness and low detail, low draw in distance with everything maxed.  I googled around and saw there is a realism mod that takes off the crappy bloom filter and makes the game look much better.  But I couldn't find a download link for it anywhere :(  Even if I do I dunno if it would work on the steam version.  Hope it does!

cool breeze

« Reply #653 on: May 01, 2010, 01:23:26 AM »
If it works with the Steam version, I might pick grid up.  I just searched for it (mod is by someone called Dargo) and it makes the game look so much better.  The thing I hated most about the GRID demo was how brown and dusky it was. 

archie4208

« Reply #654 on: May 01, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
Guild Wars is very tempting.  Does anyone have any impressions on it?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #655 on: May 01, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
Guild Wars is very tempting.  Does anyone have any impressions on it?

I played an hour or two of it, it was okay but not really my thing. I know one guy who swears by it though.
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #656 on: May 01, 2010, 01:03:38 PM »
GTA IV is on sale again.
©@©™

cool breeze

« Reply #657 on: May 01, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »
:rock

bought it...15 gigs, 3 hours to download  :lol

I heard that the first person mod works with the episodes too, and I like those more than regular GTA4, but I'm getting this to just mess around with.

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #658 on: May 01, 2010, 02:21:04 PM »
BOUGHT.
SRY

Bebpo

« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2010, 05:05:25 PM »
I set Grid to 1920x1080p and it worked?  Is it just upscaling it internally or something?

The textures were all low-resy.  Definitely still looks like a 720p X360 game and not like a ground up 1080p sharp PC game.