Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL BORE™ BRUTAL LEGEND THREAD - ROCKTOBER 13TH COMETH!  (Read 23080 times)

Himu

THE OFFICIAL BORE™ BRUTAL LEGEND THREAD - ROCKTOBER 13TH COMETH!
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:07:49 PM »
:hyper

[youtube=560,345]lp7h7tTTPeY[/youtube]

:hyper

DEMO TOMORROW.

Too bad I don't have a ps3 or 360 here with me.  :(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:20:26 PM by Willco »
IYKYK

Re: Brutal Legend thread
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »
Anyone else get one of the promotional shirts for Brutal Legend back when Sierra was releasing this?
野球

Himu

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:39:29 PM »
Naw.
IYKYK

MCD

• Fastest selling shit
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 07:43:06 PM »
will not support.

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
Will so fucking support. I've had my preorder for a couple years now, before Sierra got bought by Activision and then dropped the game.

Day one.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:14:33 PM »
Yawn, another bomb. Don't buy this trash.
fat

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
what ever happened to the idea that there would be section where we can use our rock band guitar?
nat

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
I'm gonna pirate it and post on gaf about how I'm happy to rip off tim schafer

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »
Only question I'm gonna ask is has there been any word on if it runs ok on PS3?  I have it pre-ordered on that but since this is Double Fine's first game this gen and PS3 is a tough machine to program for........

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:58:00 PM »
Bebpo, there's no reason to chance a multiplatform game on the PS3 unless you've specifically heard there's no difference or it runs better.  360 should be default.

I'll check out the demo, but I'm already buying 3 full price games over the next month and a half or so.  THREE!  That's just silly.  I'll get this when it hits the magical $40 mark.
yar

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 11:09:04 PM »
Anyone get the demo code yet? Gamestop says they're being sent tonight..
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »
I didn't preorder so I won't try the demo until next week.  I'm curious about what type it will be.  E3 demo was action and driving stuff.  Recent demos were the multiplayer Action RTS gameplay that is supposed to be more of what the game is made up of.

Bebpo

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2009, 04:18:15 AM »
Bebpo, there's no reason to chance a multiplatform game on the PS3 unless you've specifically heard there's no difference or it runs better.  360 should be default.

I'll check out the demo, but I'm already buying 3 full price games over the next month and a half or so.  THREE!  That's just silly.  I'll get this when it hits the magical $40 mark.

PS3 is my default for multiplatform titles for a variety of reasons.  As long as it's near similar quality I'm fine with the PS3 version.  I'm hoping since this is the old and not intensive WoW engine that it'll run fine even on the PS3.....hoping.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 04:43:39 AM »
I'm not sure WHY unless you just really, really dig on the dual shock or something.  I mean, most games developed using the 360 as their base platform end up cruddier on the PS3, and since it's apparently easier to develop for the 360 than the PS3...  It's not rocket science or anything, is all I'm saying.
yar

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 04:52:36 AM »
Why do so many Bore-ians want to boycott this game? Did Tim Schafer anally rape Demi's mom? I'd totally buy this if I had a next-gen console, it looks fucking sick.
SRY

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 04:58:20 AM »
I dunno, it looks fun and Psychonauts was awesome.  I'm just kind of against paying $60 for games unless I deem them OMFG MUST OWN NOW NOW NOW.  And since I'm probably already buying Fallout 3 GOTY, Borderlands and Dragon Age this fall, it's hard for me to justify spending my hard earned monies... especially since I haven't had any jobs in about a month.
yar

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 05:09:06 AM »
Ah, if I had an HD console, I'm not really interested in any other game this year except Brutal Legend. Kind of interested in Uncharted, but the stupid amount of hype is getting isn't a good sign.
SRY

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 05:14:11 AM »
Ah, if I had an HD console, I'm not really interested in any other game this year except Brutal Legend. Kind of interested in Uncharted, but the stupid amount of hype is getting isn't a good sign.

What, that everyone loved the beta and is loving the demo?   :lol  It's going to be a great game.  The 21/20 thing was awful, though.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 05:14:27 AM »
I'm not sure WHY unless you just really, really dig on the dual shock or something.  I mean, most games developed using the 360 as their base platform end up cruddier on the PS3, and since it's apparently easier to develop for the 360 than the PS3...  It's not rocket science or anything, is all I'm saying.

-My X360 freezes in games more often and causes me to redo sections which is annoying (my Lost Planet experience was basically ruined by this; Star Ocean 4 had a BAD freeze which almost caused me to quit playing, etc...)
-My X360 dies on me if I use it too much (I don't have a fancy falcon or whatever the new models are called.  Launch-era still)
-My brother only has a PS3 for blu-ray and I lend him games I think he'd like (he liked and beat Psychonauts; he's not a gamer)

If I had a newer X360 that I could rely on and never think twice about, I'd probably get more stuff on X360.  But as it is, I only feel that comfort when playing things on PS3.

Those are the main reasons.  Then little things like most of my friends are on PSN for comparing trophies, the fact I enjoy the dual shock more except in FPS games (which I get on X360), the save game manager/XMB, the HDMI black levels look better than my X360's component, etc... are just minor things that add to it.  If a game is significantly better looking on X360 I'll get it there (like in RE5's case I bought both X360 & PS3 version since I didn't want the graphically inferior PS3 one, but I wanted my brother to play it), but otherwise I'll just get everything multi on PS3 at this point.  Though most the bargain bin X360 versions are $5-15 less than the same game in the bin on PS3; so I get X360 versions there.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 05:20:05 AM »
Well that's a valid reason.  If your 360 was still under warranty you should towel the fucker to death so you could get a replacement.
yar

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 05:43:59 AM »

What, that everyone loved the beta and is loving the demo?   :lol  It's going to be a great game.  The 21/20 thing was awful, though.

That's specifically what I meant.
SRY

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »
Day 1. Psychonauts was high-larious, challenging, and engaging. Except for the platforming sequence on the last boss. Which sucked.

Anyone else get one of the promotional shirts for Brutal Legend back when Sierra was releasing this?

Yup. I'm sporting the 3/4 sleeve T-shirt in '80s retro homage navy blue. Unfortunately it's XL and I'm an L, so it looks like a Hawaiian muʻumuʻu on me.

what ever happened to the idea that there would be section where we can use our rock band guitar?

The Dishwasher proved that it's a stupid idea. If you're playing with someone who's good enough to rip a riff for you, you should just be playing co-op.

Himu

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:19 AM »
Triumph, don't worry buddy, you and I both know this is going to bomb, so it will be 40 bucks two weeks after release.
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 11:11:08 PM »
Tried out the demo.  Presentation is top notch.  Menu screen is a guy messing around with a record, like, stop motion of a real person doing it.  The opening cutscene is hilarious.  The demo is just the intro of the game, so explaining the action combat and a brief driving sequence with boss fight.  Can't judge the action and driving too harsh since I know there is more later on.  Bad section for a demo.

Had to do the PS3 version since the 360 version would have taken too long; seems like a fine version of the game.  Only big difference I noticed from 360 videos is the frame rate was a bit off at times.  Only advantage seems like DTS audio.  Won't cancel Amazon 360 preorder.

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
sounds like a weak demo for people who already know they want the game  :-\

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 12:22:14 AM »
Wait, is this another fucking pre-order demo? God fucking damn it.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 01:35:58 AM »
I think it will be out next week for non pre-ordering folk.
yar

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 02:00:08 AM »
Is there going to be a PC version?  I don't wanna play no upscaled sub-HD version with slow down. 

cool breeze

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »
I think it will be out next week for non pre-ordering folk.

Next week is for Gold XBL members.  Two weeks for Silver XBL and PSN.

Is there going to be a PC version?  I don't wanna play no upscaled sub-HD version with slow down. 

No PC.  360 and PS3 only.

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2009, 02:27:43 AM »
Did the Wii version get canceled?  :lol
野球

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 02:28:47 AM »
Did the Wii version get canceled?  :lol

Yup.
sad

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 02:29:06 AM »
野球

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2009, 04:18:35 AM »
Just for the record, I don't care about the game.  I just happen to know there was a Wii version planned.
sad

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2009, 06:37:18 AM »
I can top that. I'm unaffected by your disaffected aspect.

:ennui

Jansen

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 11:08:53 AM »
demo was zzz

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »
I can top that. I'm unaffected by your disaffected aspect.

:ennui

ennwii
dog

Jansen

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 12:00:12 PM »
sooo did anyone else play the demo?

aside from having a killer frontend and an amusing intro i can't find a whole lot to like. the combat was just too basic :\

i guess if you're in it for just the metal, humor, and cameos you'll be happy...

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
Why are the sound effects so shitty in the PS3 version? Combat is fine it's just hard to get used to after playing so much Batman AA.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:51:12 PM by Agent Whiskers »

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »
There was going to be a Wii version? I didn't hear about that smh

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2009, 04:44:20 PM »
There was going to be a Wii version? I didn't hear about that smh

It wasn't going to be made by Double Fine, EA was going to have another developer work on it. Not much was ever said.

Quote from: Wiki
When rumors of a possible Wii port arose in March 2009, Schafer stated that "We are making an Xbox 360 and a PS3 version of Brütal Legend."[42] However, according to Ben Fritz at Variety, another studio has been engaged by Electronic Arts to bring the game to the Wii, albeit at a later date than the other console versions, suggesting that it may follow the same model as Dead Space: Extraction, a Wii title scheduled to be released about a year after Dead Space's first release.[43] However, further industry rumors, which claimed that the Wii version was being done by Electronic Arts in-house, have stated that the effort to port the game to the Wii has been canceled due to quality and technical concerns.[44] There is presently no planned PC version of the game, as Schafer has stated that the game is primarily an action game and "meant to be on a console".[8]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 04:53:06 PM by distantmantra »
野球

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2009, 08:00:04 PM »
The demo was awesome. Pretty straightforward DMC clone, but it's Tim Schafer and funny as shit.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2009, 02:07:11 AM »
1.58 GB demo. Worth it for the opening cinematic, where a nu-metal group gets their comeuppance. I laughed several times, but had to bail for work before getting more than 5 minutes of gameplay in.

Need a RealDoll of Ophelia. Someone in DF marketing, please see to it.

Himu

« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:40 AM »
Oh man.  I need this game. :(
IYKYK

Mrbob

« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »
So I'm playing both demos back to back...PS3 version holds up quite well.

It is a shame the sound is tinny on PS3.  Hopefully this is fixed with the final version.

Running through 5.1 on 360 and as usual, PS3 version trounces the 360 version in actual surround quality.  But the effects are shittier.  5.1 shines through all 5 speakers on PS3...on my 360 I hardly hear a damn thing out of my rear speakers.  I checked my 360 settings and they are set to dolby digital.  Not sure why this is going on. 

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2009, 01:55:20 PM »
Yea whatever. Game is awesome.

Mrbob

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2009, 02:54:08 PM »
Not really.

Schaefer needs to go back to making adventure games with as little game play as possible.

His games are great when you aren't trying to control them like a regular video game character.

twerd

• Twilight Nerd LOL
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2009, 03:04:10 PM »
if you're suggesting that psychonauts was bad, i'll kill yo ass.
wut

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2009, 03:12:16 PM »
if you're suggesting that psychonauts was bad, i'll kill yo ass.

I'll back you up with that one.
SRY

Mrbob

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
It was ok.  But it wasn't close to the brilliance of his adventure games like Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, or Full Throttle.  Heck even the first couple Monkey Island games (which I would put behind these three) are better than Psychonauts.

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2009, 03:56:39 PM »
Game is awesome.

Junpei the Tracer!

• I started with Nightbright and ended with Comics
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Really enjoyed that demo.
Boo

Himu

« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »
Shafer didn't work on Maniac Mansion
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:23 PM »
This demo was greaaaaaaaaat.  Demo of 2009 for sure.  Combat is a little janky, but otherwise seems like it'll be an awesome game.

Cravis

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2009, 06:53:05 PM »
I can't wait. Not a fan of Jack Black but I have to say, he was pretty damn funny in the demo. Plus you can't beat the stellar soundtrack. When Children of the Grave began to play I couldn't help but grin from ear to ear.