Author Topic: THE OFFICIAL BORE™ BRUTAL LEGEND THREAD - ROCKTOBER 13TH COMETH!  (Read 23078 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: THE OFFICIAL BORE™ BRUTAL LEGEND THREAD - ROCKTOBER 13TH COMETH!
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2009, 06:24:40 PM »
Ugh, 'Emobots'? Hahahahaha, hilarious  ::) I'm not going to be touching this game with a barge pole. I like Metal, but hate older crap like Ozzy and Led Zeppelin. And as swaggaz said its not clever or satirical, just a distinguished mentally-challenged cameo fest of 'wow, that thing is from that song/album cover/whatever'.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 06:26:48 PM by Scenester »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2009, 06:27:28 PM »
Beat it yesterday, probably gonna trade it in tonight with another game using that 30% coupon at GS towards Dragon Age.  Alright game, not as good as Psychonauts other than the setting.

The coupon expires today.
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
Yeah, I'm about to head out and do it now.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2009, 01:19:23 PM »
It's sooo bad. Even Card Cheat is trading his copy in. It's buyer's remorse man. Game is a complete TURD
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »
Yeah, the game is not the demo. It's not on rails, it's an OWG. It's not a buttonmashing brawler; playing on Brutal the random encounter fights can get serious pretty quickly, but even against the overpowered-looking hordes in the demo it was impossible to die.

My copy arrived yesterday and I've put about three hours in, game says I'm 22% done -- I'm having fun, but I think it's gonna be short.

Scenester, what is this "metal" you like that keeps you from enjoying Sabbath and all? Tell me you're not a Korn fan!  :o

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2009, 06:26:24 AM »
I just like hard rockin shit. Metallica, Megadeth, Trivium, Mortician, Dragonforce... Im not a huge metal fan but I enjoy those bands.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #246 on: October 28, 2009, 06:26:47 PM »
This came in today on my GameFly. About an hour in. The story and the cutscenes and voice acting are great but early on its definitely a case of the story sort of carrying the rest of the game. We'll see how I feel a few more hours in.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »
I'm at 47% from pretty rigorously following up on the side missions. (Ambush, Ambush, Ambush, Race, Ambush...) I've just now cleared the Wall of Speakers mission to get weapons for the Roadie unit class. So far I am enjoying the humor and the exploration (the vistas are excellent; I want wallpapers) but I suck at RTS so even the "RTS-lite" nature becomes frustrating.

Maybe if I play some online battles I can get trained up in a hurry, but because of the way I'm playing -- lots of driving/exploring between RTS story missions -- I have a tendency to forget the controls for waypoints, summon the SOLO wheel instead of the UNIT wheel, etc.

« Reply #248 on: October 28, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
I'm just starting the game and I'm loving it, but I'm terrible at anything remotely like an RTS, so I'm a little nervous at the upcoming RTS-lite sections...
野球

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #249 on: October 28, 2009, 10:50:02 PM »
I've reached some of the RTS stuff. Unfortunately I don't care for it but I'll give it the old college try and see if I warm up to it.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #250 on: October 29, 2009, 03:13:21 AM »
I'm just starting the game and I'm loving it, but I'm terrible at anything remotely like an RTS, so I'm a little nervous at the upcoming RTS-lite sections...

Here's my wish list; maybe there are options for some of this in the game, I've not looked:
  • controller-cues: Whenever I've got troops, I want the D-pad controls displayed. There was a neat Iron Cross styled representation
  • ...same gripe with Right Bumper to bring up the Set Waypoint cursor. The game's not shy about telling me to "HIT 'L Button' FOR NITRO BOOST" randomly whenever I'm in the Deuce, even if I'm facing off a cliff and it would mean certain doom; why not channel that energy into popping up the cursor controls during ANY mission with troops?
  • spotlight troops - in the Tour Book, there's a chapter on what the spotlights mean, but text tips onscreen could be useful
  • Display of Rally Troops and Set Waypoint solos should remain on the Solo selection wheel in normal play, just turn them RED like other non-selectable Solos; I think they're not displayed unless you're commanding troops.

Jansen

« Reply #251 on: October 29, 2009, 03:16:42 AM »
by the time you warm up to the rts the game will be over. i was kinda shocked at how quickly the conclusion came. storywise they just give you the 5min rundown at the end of the game which, imo, really hurt the overall experience since one of the big draws to this game is the writing, story, and characters. shoehorning all the revelations into one scene at the end was lame.

GAME SPOILER
spoiler (click to show/hide)
lar's death was the lamest shit ever. this would be king does something that distinguished mentally-challenged and gets himself killed? no way. if it was meant to be funny then they also failed on that front as well
[close]

really made me feel like the single player was originally going to be larger.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #252 on: November 11, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I am on "Dry Ice, Wet Graves" or whatever the 2nd Goff battle is. I'm missing whatever hidden pattern is needed to capture the first free Fan Geyser, so I'm unable to boost resources enough to fend off the hoardes. I'm going to try more tomorrow, but I see what the complaint is. ENDLESS HORDES. FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU...

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #253 on: November 13, 2009, 12:33:38 AM »
Great. Day 2 of same mission. I am torn over trying to get all the available Dragon Statue buffs for Eddie so that he gets more HP, faster regen, and regens his nearby troops, practicing against the singleplayer-vs-AI RTS skirmish mode -- or just lowering the fucking difficulty.

I am seriously not enjoying this mission at this point, and need to make a "life decision" to play this for fun or to play it for the 'cheevs. I want to finish on "Brutal," but it's turning out to be more really-real-brutal than expected.

And the next mission (Which may be the last mission in the game?) appears to be heaploads worse frustrating.

You know, the last mission in Psychonauts was crazy frustrating, and all I was targeting there was completion. Here, I'm afraid some fellow borito will get the "completed on Brutal" 'cheev and I'll feel left out.  :-[

But in truth, as was Card Cheated and Demified, the game is not as good as Psychonauts, except in its setting (which is fuck-awesome).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #254 on: November 14, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »
Working Brütal Legend again; I'm still on the same mission, but finding some hope after getting a pretty good run on it last night, until I called my army to my position (Battle Cry) and the bulk of them did their pathfinding directly in front of the enemy stage:-\

It turns out my main problem earlier was squad composition and not staying on the upgrades. Tim Schafer lies when he says it's not an RTS. Sure, there are brawler elements, but it's an RTS in spades.
BRÜTAL VICTORY
[close]
I've changed my mind. Game rocks, now that I've figured out how to play it. It's still an RTS, and the singleplayer game does not do a thorough job teaching how to deal with "Load," managing split forces, tech development, etc. But actually playing that level with more thorough knowledge of the game mechanics was pretty fun. Also, harassing the enemy by drying The Deuce next to their stage and activating splash-damage weapons during a drive-by: :rock :rock :rock

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #255 on: November 16, 2009, 03:53:22 AM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/13/oct-npd-brutal-legend-sold-216k-dj-hero-sold-123k/
Double Fine's rocking, semi-strategy game, Brütal Legend, which debuted on Rocktober 13, totaled 216,000 units in sales across two platforms during October: 150,000 on Xbox 360 (almost enough to launch it into the monthly top ten) and 66,000 on PS3. This total fails to hit analyst Jesse Divnich's prediction for the month. However, Divnich suggested that Brütal Legend would go on to be an attractive holiday item -- something that may also be true for the bulky box with the cool turntable thingy in it.

Christ. I hope sales pick up for Christmas. The game deserves to do a lot better than this.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #256 on: November 16, 2009, 03:58:34 AM »
No it doesn't. Schafer needs to go away.
fat

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #257 on: November 16, 2009, 04:56:49 AM »
No it doesn't. Schafer needs to go away.

::)

You'd think he didn't call you after the night you guys shared at the leather bar or something.
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #258 on: November 16, 2009, 09:44:16 AM »
Well, Tim does live in San Francisco and the DF offices are very near several gay bars.
It's possible that Demi could have been performing at one of them.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »

PC version announced.

Yes, there are TF2 hats for Steam.

The game world itself was so beautiful, I'll be buying this just to get the screenshots.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2013, 10:58:56 PM »
down to boost Xbox cheevs whenever you're ready  :-*

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #261 on: February 15, 2013, 12:29:47 AM »
Someone gift me the TF2 hats
itm

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #262 on: February 15, 2013, 08:55:43 AM »
I don't remember what the original plan was.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: February 15, 2013, 10:32:59 AM »
Yeah, it probably would have been better as a straight-up action/adventure game. I was not expecting the whole RTS thing at the time. I may give it another shot on the PC, though.
©@©™

« Reply #264 on: February 15, 2013, 12:12:15 PM »
The RTS segments were horrible.  :maf
野球

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #265 on: February 15, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »
maybe the rts stuff will be better on PC.   but i won't be the guinea pig

Himu

« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »
This game SUCKED.

So sorry bore!
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
Yawn, another bomb. Don't buy this trash.

demi called it
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2013, 09:06:49 PM »
Tuesday onward is open for me! You may want to play a little beforehand; last time I tried, I realized I'd forgotten all the RTS controls.

Interviews point to it actually being a 20-25 hour long main quest with more side quests in the overworld but they ultimately decided they still want to use the RTS halfway through development I believe. Which led to actual bosses, levels, gameplay and such being scrapped for RTS missions instead. While I liked the RTS missions I can't help but feel like they would have been better off without it.

Game is still good, but the shift of focus to RTS marked a shift of quality for me and plenty of others, which is why you still find people bitching about false advertisement and what not.
I don't remember any of that talk, and my impression is that RTS was in from the beginning, before it turned out that RTS-on-console is basically a recipe for How Not to Sell At All. However there are enough open-world components which make me think that maybe there were more incidental encounters and exploration.

It's documented that there was a whole other faction which was dropped from the world; there was another island, on which lived a race of Rat Fink style hot-rodders, of whom the froggish racing opponent is the only remaining vestige.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #269 on: February 20, 2013, 02:16:38 AM »
Tuesday onward is open for me! You may want to play a little beforehand; last time I tried, I realized I'd forgotten all the RTS controls.

Cool, might start up a new game. I never got all the collectibles and stuff so might give the game a replay

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #270 on: February 20, 2013, 06:37:56 AM »
This game SUCKED.

So sorry bore!

I just fired it up again (havent played since 2009) and so far it's AWESOME

Gonna get all the fuckin cheevs :punch

Also reading old posts in this thread I seemed to be very bitter about the concept of this game originally. It really grew on me! I dont normally like Jack Black but his VA in this is very good, mainly because I dont have to see his face.

Also, fuck Willco
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:45:51 AM by The Sceneman »

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #271 on: February 20, 2013, 12:05:32 PM »
Has anybody ever made the comparison that the "RTS" bits in this game are akin to Herzog Zwei? The gameplay is nearly the exact same (especially once you're able to fly), you just get to romp around a heavy metal open world between missions.

Anyways, I'm stoked to be getting this on PC and hopefully I can finish it this time.
SRY

Robo

« Reply #272 on: February 20, 2013, 08:03:36 PM »
This is one of the worst RTS games ever made.

edit: I found some of my initial impressions in the What are you playing? thread:

Currently trying to enjoy Brutal Legend.  It's tough.  Not like, the game is tough - it's tough to enjoy.  I love the humor, I love the art, the setting, the music -- I was really digging it for awhile in spite of being peppered with relatively minor, yet annoying oversights in design (like, why the fuck is there no mini-map on the HUD?) -- but where I am now, just as the goth people appear and the RTS is in full-swing, it's pissing me off more than anything. 

I could go on and on about things I'm finding irritating with the RTS: no indication as to the units you're selectings as you issue broad commands; issuing commands to individual groups is like building a Rube Goldberg machine to make toast; units seemingly taking priority on combat over your commands if they're already engaged, making it impossible to retreat or shift position until everyone is dead, one way or the other; random target selector on 'Attack', which is more like 'Attack Move' anyway because...; it's apparently impossible to focus-fire on any individual target, even if you were to get lucky and somehow select the actual target you wanted to attack (although the A.I. doesn't have a problem doing this, of course, as they always managed to rush and gangbang my ranged units or healer). 

There are plenty more I won't bother to mention, but I think that about covers the ones that stand out the most since they all effect my ability to coherently strategize without ridiculous exertion.  And they're effectively ruining my experience with the game.

I'm sure someone out there has opposition to at least one or all of those issues.  If anybody's figured this fucking game out, by all means, please tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong.

edit: reading the official thread, it seems I shouldn't be trying to play this game as an RTS and instead just be doing more stuff w/ Eddie and using more Double Team attacks.
obo

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #273 on: February 20, 2013, 08:25:59 PM »
My suspicion is, like many other Doublefine genre offerings, it doesn't please people who are heavily invested in that genre. DF doesn't make hardcore games which appeal to the core-of-the-core audience; they make pretty mainstream stuff, I think.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Starting now and through the next two hours, I am running a boosting session for Brütal Legend through trueachievements.com.

We are prioritizing to achievements participants' but it would be great if any of you want to join. I should have posted sooner, but didn't think about it.

It will be a surrender fest, for boosting speed's sake, but after we clear the Achievements, ill be on to play.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2013, 03:10:11 AM »
Okay, so, I boosted today for the 50 wins and it went great. Unfortunately, I still need the one for Ranked or Brütal AI 10 wins on Hammer of Infinite Fate DLC achievement. It's my last one.

Scenester, I may need your help. Brütal AI on those maps is spanking me.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2013, 04:11:56 AM »
Well we can give it a shot, but I think that my ping sucks too bad for us to get matched up. Well, if we do manage to get matched up, I wouldnt mind if you could help me with the 50 wins one  :'(

My SP progress is going real well, only a couple more missions to go and I'll have beaten the game on Brutal. What an awesome game.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2013, 04:13:10 AM »
Starting now and through the next two hours, I am running a boosting session for Brütal Legend through trueachievements.com.

We are prioritizing to achievements participants' but it would be great if any of you want to join. I should have posted sooner, but didn't think about it.

It will be a surrender fest, for boosting speed's sake, but after we clear the Achievements, ill be on to play.

ah gutted I missed this, my ping may have not been an issue if there were many other players on. All good, I can always try and boost with fellow kiwis/aussies

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2013, 11:24:20 PM »

Got the last one. The TA.com solution for the Achievement worked a treat. That really is an ugly AI bug. So I got just under half my Brütal AI wins legit, and now I can put the disc to bed permanently.

I know the RTS stuff is not hardcore-satisfying, but I loved this game, and think it should have been better-received than it was.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2013, 09:12:47 PM »
beat the game on Brutal difficulty last night. I can't believe how good I am at videogames.

The "RTS" shit is in fact awesome, and makes the game better than if it were to be simply just your average hack n slash adventure game. It's innovative and interesting. Not my fault people just want to investigate zombie reports, neutralize tangos, and hack the CIA intel database in every game.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:17:01 PM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #280 on: February 26, 2013, 09:14:58 PM »
:rock

Glad you ended up having fun with it. I was unsure about it when I bought it as your seekrit santa, so long ago.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #281 on: February 26, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »
Well you know I'm a fiend for sandbox games and collectibles! In retrospect I was surprised RDR didnt have a ludicrous amount of arbitrary collectibles for health upgrades. I was expecting "collect the 120 hidden sherrifs badges" and the like

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #282 on: February 26, 2013, 09:27:11 PM »
Are you fucking kidding me? What do you thing all the Herbalist and Hunter side content was? I mean, sure, they're not missable, one-off items, but they are still collectibles we had to do both in singleplayer and exactly all the same shit again in multiplayer. GAH! It was not fun the second time.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #283 on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
Lol I forgot about all that shit.

Heh, I didn't mind doing it again in multiplayer for XP and titles  :win

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2013, 07:17:12 AM »
god this has to be my favourite song in the game

and this one

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:23:28 AM by The Sceneman »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
What about Kabbage Boy?!?!

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #286 on: February 28, 2013, 12:43:31 AM »
lol I got pretty sick of that song, was funny the first couple of times but in the end I always skipped it when it came on the radio.

best part:

GIRL

YOU SO FINE

LIKE A PORCUPINE

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #287 on: February 28, 2013, 12:52:04 AM »
Single player has a radio playlist function, iirc; you can tell it which songs you never want to hear at least.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #288 on: February 28, 2013, 12:55:19 AM »
Theres only a couple of songs I didnt like on the soundtrack, most of it was good! Never been a fan of Ozzy/Black Sabbath.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #289 on: November 23, 2017, 02:40:58 AM »
http://twinfinite.net/2017/11/download-brutal-legend-free-humble/

Game is free for those about to rock, or have yet to rock.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #290 on: November 23, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
http://twinfinite.net/2017/11/download-brutal-legend-free-humble/

Game is free for those about to rock, or have yet to rock.

dont sleep on this awesome metal game
What

Tasty

« Reply #291 on: November 23, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »
Willco is basically right

Leper this filth. :ufup