Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2046634 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #1140 on: June 27, 2010, 09:26:33 PM »
Just finished watching the Lost finale. I guess I should bump that Lost thread if I want to discuss it.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1141 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »
watching Ep13

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Vic lying right to Ronnie's face. God dammit

edit: why the fuck would the feds raid the meet so early? They blow Vic's cover and come back empty handed

edit: Why do I still feel bad for Shane, I feel disgusted with myself smh. Just saw the scene with him and Vic on the phone  :o

Andre 3k  :lol

ffuck, Shane...rip. Can't believe I'm saying that. I still wish Mara would have gotten killed another way

Ronnie crying about Shane  :(
I feel so shitty waiting for the bomb to drop on him
[close]
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:48:06 PM by Phoenix Dark »

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1142 on: June 27, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
I felt the same way PD, after that phone conversation.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1143 on: June 28, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »
The Shield :bow

Finished. Wow. Easily the best series finale I've seen; granted I haven't watched many shows to completion. Definitely not what I expected: I thought the cartel bust would go sour and result in a shootout or something, or Vic would be greenlit.

-I can't imagine the show managed to make me feel bad for Shane, and conversely want to see Vic killed off. What an amazing turn of events, done perfectly. Shortly after Lem's murder I couldn't help but think Vic would have probably done the same thing if push came to shove. This was confirmed throughout S7 as he burned every bridge and turned on Ronnie

-I felt some eye moisture when Ronnie was arrested and was told Vic set him up; tough scene. Dude was essentially the strike team's clean up man for seven seasons. Ultimate team player, took injuries for the team and never complained. Looking back, Vic could have still done just about everything  he needed to do if Ronnie had escaped to Mexico. Watching him beaming with excitement over the cartel bust was painful

-Wyms embarrassing/exposing Vic in front of the entire barn was priceless. What a great character.

-Vic dying would have been a cop out. Instead he lived yet lost everything. I thought it was the perfect ending for him (with some great close up shots, the camera boxing him in).

-That last shot: seemed like he was following the sirens. I could see him violating his deal and being sent to prison lol

Overall...fucking amazing show. If The Wire is the best show I've seen, this is definitely the second best. And it certainly went out way better than The Wire did. I can't believe this show had 7 seasons without a dud. S6 felt like a transition (like Cajole said) but it was still damn good. I'd agree S5 and S7 are the best.
[close]

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1144 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:31 AM »
The Shield :rock
AMC

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1145 on: June 28, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
"Family Meeting" :'( :'( :'(

-Wyms embarrassing/exposing Vic in front of the entire barn was priceless. What a great character.
[close]
The scene that preceded that with Vic in the interrogation room struggling (and failing) to avoid looking at Shane's crime scene photos was probably my favorite out of the whole finale
[close]
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1146 on: June 28, 2010, 01:17:09 AM »
amazing scene, indeed

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1147 on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
I was reading Cajole's blog post on the finale...
http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/blog/2008/11/26/that-was-the-only-way-the-shield-could-have-ended-spoilers/

spoilers
...and realized: the idea that Aceveda would have the black mayoral candidate assassinated never crossed my mind. He was introduced as a charismatic, reckless dude doing things that got people killed quickly throughout the series. I didn't find it surprising that he'd eventually get killed as he became more reckless and messianic.

Great point on Vic as well. He was a crooked cop throughout the series, yet it was easy to look past those violations as means to a just end. His team held the highest arrest rate in the city, and even his enemies in the barn and police department grudgingly gave him the toughest gang crimes to solve (and save their jobs). His sense of loyalty was admirable. When betrayed, his anger was explosive. Yet by the end he betrayed everything and everyone who cared for him.
[close]

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1148 on: June 28, 2010, 02:40:44 PM »
I was reading Cajole's blog post on the finale...
http://somewhatmanlynerd.com/blog/2008/11/26/that-was-the-only-way-the-shield-could-have-ended-spoilers/

spoilers
...and realized: the idea that Aceveda would have the black mayoral candidate assassinated never crossed my mind. He was introduced as a charismatic, reckless dude doing things that got people killed quickly throughout the series. I didn't find it surprising that he'd eventually get killed as he became more reckless and messianic.

Great point on Vic as well. He was a crooked cop throughout the series, yet it was easy to look past those violations as means to a just end. His team held the highest arrest rate in the city, and even his enemies in the barn and police department grudgingly gave him the toughest gang crimes to solve (and save their jobs). His sense of loyalty was admirable. When betrayed, his anger was explosive. Yet by the end he betrayed everything and everyone who cared for him.
[close]

The Dutch killing the mom idea wasn't mine, btw. Only threw it in because a few people on GAF said it and I was like...uhh wtf?
[close]
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1149 on: June 28, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
That would have been interesting, but the previous episode provided him with an ample alibi (phone calls)

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #1150 on: June 28, 2010, 06:33:06 PM »
I've been trying hard but the new Knight Rider is so bad I'm not sure I can watch it anymore - the majority of characters are damn annoying.  Shame because they managed to update KITT without screwing it up IMO and the dude who plays Michael Knight is dreamy.

And now they're using sped-up car chase footage. :lol

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1151 on: June 30, 2010, 07:31:40 PM »
Anyone catch the premiere of Louis CK's new show on FX? I didn't even know it was airing last night until just now. I tried to catch it on NinjaVideo only to find that the feds finally pulled the site
hi5

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1152 on: June 30, 2010, 07:44:56 PM »
ninjavideos is down? WTF obama hussein

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1153 on: July 06, 2010, 01:12:59 AM »
Just finished Rome S1. sheeeeeiiiiiittt

Last few episodes were great, but the finale was on a whole different level.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1154 on: July 07, 2010, 02:10:12 AM »
Rome is awesome.

Tonight's episode of Louie was awesome.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1155 on: July 07, 2010, 02:13:07 AM »
Rome S1 first ep was great but I was very disappointed they didn't show Mark Antony and Brutus' eulogies at Caesar's funeral. Pretty big thing to leave out imo. By now you kinda expect them to breeze over battles due to budget restraints, but I expected the speeches to be there.

watching this only makes the wait for Game of Thrones even more painful.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1156 on: July 08, 2010, 02:15:43 AM »
Anybody watching Good Guys? I caught an episode a few days ago, and I thought it was pretty good. It was funny and there was a lot of action. A good soundtrack too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:19:16 AM by Joe Molotov® EDGE™ »
©@©™

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #1157 on: July 08, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
Rome S1 first ep was great but I was very disappointed they didn't show Mark Antony and Brutus' eulogies at Caesar's funeral. Pretty big thing to leave out imo. By now you kinda expect them to breeze over battles due to budget restraints, but I expected the speeches to be there.

watching this only makes the wait for Game of Thrones even more painful.

I think they were in a bit of a jam there, history didn't really record what was actually said and it'd be hard to go against Shakespeare's version.

You'll especially notice next season that alot of major events are built up to then occur offscreen and alluded to (this is mostly because S2 is really S2,S3,S4 condensed into one season)
___

lordmaji

• It's a joke, not a dick, so don't take it so hard!
« Reply #1158 on: July 08, 2010, 10:08:21 AM »
Just started Supernatural.

Is it worth it? I hear it's kinda around the lines of old school X-Files. I got that vibe out of the first episode so... hopefully it continues to be good.
:-[

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1159 on: July 08, 2010, 11:13:54 AM »
I watched the first 4 or 5 eps and abandoned it. The boys are too cute and trite, and the scares are not scary. The pilot with the guy's girlfriend got my hopes up too much, possibly. The pilot looked like it was going to start an interesting arc, but the next few were standard monster-of-the-week fare.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1160 on: July 09, 2010, 09:28:14 PM »

Is it worth it? I hear it's kinda around the lines of old school X-Files. I got that vibe out of the first episode so... hopefully it continues to be good.

I've been watching episodes here and there and the humor is very very good. I'm now watching an episode on WB where they're stuck in some TV universe (due to some Demon) and its one of the funniest things I've ever watched on TV.

[youtube=560,345]2otP3okU4aw[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 09:29:57 PM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #1161 on: July 11, 2010, 09:02:09 AM »

i've heard very good things about it, especially starting with the second season, but i've never watched it myself

I just started watching Veronica Mars.  it's...ok, i guess. 
Tonya

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #1162 on: July 11, 2010, 05:39:18 PM »
I just watched the last season of 24. I was hoping for a somewhat happier ending than what I got.  :-\
WDW

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1163 on: July 11, 2010, 08:52:44 PM »
Say what you will about the show losing steam after S5, but 24 definitely went out with a bang. The last season was great.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1164 on: July 11, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
By "great" you mean "cringe-worthy, eye-rolling terrible."

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1165 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:23 PM »
We're talking about 24 S8, not your social life

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #1166 on: July 11, 2010, 11:14:47 PM »
season 8 of 24 actually exists.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 11:17:59 PM by Malek J. Lumberjack Jr. »

muckhole

• AMBASSADOR
« Reply #1167 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:42 PM »
Just finished watching some more Fringe season 2 at the gf's. We're a little over the halfway mark and I've gone from being somewhat forced to watch the beginning of season one to being a full-on convert now. I could watch John Noble (Walter Bishop) watch paint dry.
fek

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1168 on: July 13, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
Anyone watching "Covert Affairs" tonight? I'm mildly excited.

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #1169 on: July 14, 2010, 01:05:13 AM »
Just finished watching some more Fringe season 2 at the gf's. We're a little over the halfway mark and I've gone from being somewhat forced to watch the beginning of season one to being a full-on convert now. I could watch John Noble (Walter Bishop) watch paint dry.

:rock

I think you're about to hit some of the best episodes in the series.  My abiding memory is a nerdy yet awesome reference to Eric Stoltz being the actor originally cast to play Marty McFly.  So, so awesome.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1170 on: July 14, 2010, 07:39:27 AM »
The Thick of It is pretty grand.  My favorite uk political comedy is still probably Yes, Minister
Tonya

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1171 on: July 15, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
I have been watching Have Gun - Will Travel on Netflix.  Paladin is a pretty awesome character, an erudite gunslinger for hire who's always quoting poetry or history right before he ventilates someone.  I'm only about nine episodes into the first season, but it's already been chock full of pre-stardom actors like Angie Dickinson, Strother Martin, Jack Lord, etc.
sup

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #1172 on: July 15, 2010, 12:24:25 PM »
Also -

Not a TV show, but I have been listening to the Gunsmoke radio series while I'm at work.  It predated the TV series, and is vastly different in tone.  Matt Dillon is voiced by William Conrad, who has this great deep and rumbling voice, and is portrayed as a fairly brutal character (think Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp from Tombstone).  He fucks up at his job sometimes, and will readily kill people who provoke him.  I was tripping out in one episode where he told this loudmouthed prisoner he was going to club him to death if he didn't shut up :lol  It's more heavily hinted at that Miss Kitty is a whore.  Doc is a semi-drunk who makes jokes about the corpses he does autopsies on.  I was actually surprised by how adult it is for a 1950s radio show, it's almost sort of a Western Noir.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:26:04 PM by Eel O'Brian »
sup

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #1173 on: July 15, 2010, 06:53:58 PM »
Does anyone watch Modern Family?  It only started airing here a couple of months ago but I'm guessing season one aired ages ago in the US.

The worst part is with an amazing ensemble cast all doing awesome stuff on screen at once, there's too much on screen to absorb it all in one sitting.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #1174 on: July 15, 2010, 09:06:58 PM »
Modern Family is fantastic. Probably my favourite network show currently running.
zzzzz

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1175 on: July 16, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »
Holy shit just started watching Archer. Never even heard of it until a few days ago, funniest shit ever. I think imma popsock the last five episodes tonight :hyper
___

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1176 on: July 16, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »
Holy shit just started watching Archer. Never even heard of it until a few days ago, funniest shit ever. I think imma popsock the last five episodes tonight :hyper

wtf
AMC

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1177 on: July 16, 2010, 10:38:51 PM »
dunno either, usually i'm on top of these things
___

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #1178 on: July 17, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
what is eb's consensus on the sopranos (finale)?

best show ever

ending caught me by surprise--didn't expect it to
end in the middle of a goddamn scene!
[close]
zzz

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1179 on: July 17, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
what is eb's consensus on the sopranos (finale)?

best show ever

ending caught me by surprise--didn't expect it to
end in the middle of a goddamn scene!
[close]

kinda surprised you were surprised - i thought it created entire brouhaha that everyone new the ending.

i liked it. despite it's dark humor, the show was always really a tragedy about the character of Tony and those closest to him, which creator David Simon got but I don't think the viewers always got. They just wanted to live vicariously through Tony and see people get whacked. Giving these people the middle finger with the finale still leaves a big grin on my face.
___

bud

• a smudge of excrement on a tissue surging out to sea with a million tons of raw sewage
« Reply #1180 on: July 17, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
i knew it had
and 'open ending'
[close]
, but that was all
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 04:20:35 PM by bud »
zzz

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1181 on: July 17, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »
Got really boring toward the end
hi5

bud

« Reply #1182 on: July 17, 2010, 04:32:12 PM »
i thought the first half of season 4 was a bit boring--but that's about it

there was an entire episode devoted to ralph's joke about ginny smh
[close]
zzz

Third

• BODY TALK
« Reply #1183 on: July 17, 2010, 06:25:14 PM »
Finished watching Fringe season 2.

Pretty good series. A bit stupid, though. But still entertaining. Can't wait for season 3.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #1184 on: July 19, 2010, 02:59:09 PM »
I am starting Freaks and Geeks now.  Wanted to get into it way back, but I didn't.  I'm watching it now and it's making me hate children.  Pretty good show.

Eric P

• Icon
« Reply #1185 on: July 19, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
LOVE in betweeners.  Series two where he punches the fish was so fucking hilarious
Tonya

Bildi

• AKA Bildo
« Reply #1186 on: July 19, 2010, 11:40:24 PM »
Inbetweeners is one of the best shows on TV.  The flashbacks to school where you had that one kid who "did it with twins on the weekend who wanted it in the ass and then the vag... and then the mouth" are too good to miss.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1187 on: July 25, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
Finished S1 of Deadwood. It was pretty good, but I do have one big complaint: Timothy Olyphant's putrid acting. The only time I care to see him on screen is when he's beating the shit out of someone. I've seen him in other stuff and he never struck me as so outstandingly bad, so I dunno if it's just because he has to compete with Ian McShane or what
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 05:40:20 PM by OptimoPeach »
hi5

OptimoPeach

« Reply #1188 on: July 25, 2010, 06:18:22 PM »
Oh and the Dexter S5 trailer is out. Huge spoilers if you haven't seen S4

[youtube=560,345]CUbCMbW-BRE[/youtube]

AWESOME. I hope he really goes off the deep end
[close]
hi5

cool breeze

« Reply #1189 on: July 26, 2010, 01:06:27 AM »
Anyone else check out Sherlock? first (of three ninety minute) episodes came out.  It is a modern day Sherlock Holmes series from Steven Moffat, and if you're familiar with Doctor Who, he's guy responsible for the latest (and best) series of Doctor Who.  It was pretty entertaining.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1190 on: July 26, 2010, 01:07:11 AM »
Mad Men S4 premiere was GOOOODDDDD
AMC

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #1191 on: July 26, 2010, 01:35:36 AM »
Gonna be doing a Seinfeld marathon this week :rock
Drunk

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #1192 on: July 26, 2010, 01:36:20 AM »
Gonna start watching Carnivale very soon. Fucking NinjaVideo's death has hurt my watching of tv related stuff.

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1193 on: July 26, 2010, 11:45:45 AM »
I actually own S2 of Carnivale but have never watched it (saw it somewhere on sale for like 16 bucks and grabbed it). The "Season 2" print was so small I didn't notice it, so now I only own that and not S1. Never got around to watching S1 and S2 is still shrinkwrapped.

Wouldn't mind hearing more opinions on it, as I know they cancelled it prematurely. Is it worth watching it for what it is, or does it cut so abruptly that it's not worth getting invested in it and never having any resolution?
___

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #1194 on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
Gonna start watching Carnivale very soon. Fucking NinjaVideo's death has hurt my watching of tv related stuff.
same here  :lol

Initially I looked up a bunch of similar sites but I didn't really watch much of anything. I've even slowed down on watching Rome (which I download)

Icefilms has a bunch of shit but so many of the links don't work. StageVu has a lot of working links, but I'm far too lazy to search for episodes, which aren't in order smh

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1195 on: July 26, 2010, 03:53:58 PM »
I just watched the first season of Dexter.  Not bad so far.
WTF

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1196 on: July 27, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »
Carnivale, you definitely want to watch Season 1 before 2. It's some complex crap happening, as well as a lot of actual character change. A very good series, start to finish. Too bad they had to rush the end.

That Dexter trailer is awesome, but I shouldn't have watched it, since I've only seen through season 2. S3 finally released on video here a couple months ago.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1197 on: July 27, 2010, 07:17:42 PM »
Finally watched The Walking Dead trailer.  :o :hyper :hyper :hyper :heartbeat

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1198 on: July 28, 2010, 03:34:45 AM »
Finally watched The Walking Dead trailer.  :o :hyper :hyper :hyper :heartbeat

What network is that going to be on?
WTF

Dickie Dee

« Reply #1199 on: July 28, 2010, 06:56:47 AM »
AMC (Mad Men / Breaking Bad) so no F-bombs or nudity, but iirc they're free to show at least the same level of violence as the books.
___