Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2101004 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Re: The Walking Dumb
« Reply #4800 on: March 16, 2012, 03:33:31 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Plus why would he handle the entire situation so sloppily knowing Daryl is like a fucking Aragorn level tracker. Even if he knew the virus re-animated bodies (perhaps he learned that at the hospital, after Rick was shot?), he had to know Daryl might still find the zombie walking around and thus ruin his entire alibi.

Plus, why kill Rick in the moon light...within clear vision distance of the farm...knowing look outs were on duty...wtf. People in the GAF thread are arguing Shane was simply crazy and irrational which is certainly true, but Shane also was a realist and a survivor. So why would he take so many chances with a poorly thought out plan.
[close]
I stopped watching after the first season because (book/show spoiler):
They didn't kill Shane by the end of the first season. He should have died in the season finale.
[close]

I dunno, I am kind of liking how this was paced.
Shane had gone over the edge with rage, because he was given more time, more examples of Rick's indecisiveness, and its threat to the group.
[close]
It also establishes Lori as being a selfish, clueless git. She managed to torque Shane's gauge even further into the red by needing to "confess" her gratitude to Shane, and the possibility that the unborn child is his... Jesus.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #4801 on: March 16, 2012, 04:11:14 AM »
I "get" that she would naturally become closer to all the members of the group - including Shane - after the loss of a fellow member. But that confession was pure stupid, and an example of questionable writing/choices. Mere days ago she feared Shane would kill her husband. Then she let Shane and Rick go on a trip alone. Now she's comfortable enough to admit the baby might be his - and admission that would only serve to make him more unstable? wtf is going on here

She needs to die asap. And Carl.

I hope that black dude and his kid from S1 come back. He could be a nice addition to the group

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #4802 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:21 AM »
Lennie James? He's good. That guy is probably too expensive. Besides, he was in Jericho, and probably doesn't want to be known as "the post-holocaust black guy."

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4803 on: March 16, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »
Luck was awesome and was hitting its stride. Its unfortunate that slow burns aren't really viable now even on what you would think would be a more forgiving channel in some cases (HBO). Fortunately the sales of Game of Thrones DVD/BDs is off the charts so thats gonna have a long life.
:9

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4804 on: March 16, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »
Luck was awesome and was hitting its stride. Its unfortunate that slow burns aren't really viable now even on what you would think would be a more forgiving channel in some cases (HBO). Fortunately the sales of Game of Thrones DVD/BDs is off the charts so thats gonna have a long life.
It's weird because Enlightened, a similar show that's a slow burn on HBO, got renewed for a second season despite even worse viewership ratings than Luck.

But I guess it also helps that Laura Dern got a Golden Globe for it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4805 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »
I read the other day how they've had a third horse die during production. The should just show the people in the stands going "Wow, look how fast those horses are racing. The horses that we are totally watching right now!"
©@©™

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4806 on: March 16, 2012, 01:39:37 PM »
Three thoroughbreds die every day in North America according to Wiki. A few more can be sacrificed for a David Milch show.
AMC

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4807 on: March 16, 2012, 01:40:59 PM »
HBO has an interesting method for keeping shows alive. They won't necessarily cancel a show because of its ratings (see: the superbly underrated How To Make It In America getting two seasons), and they more or less will let a director see their vision through. But on the other hand, if the ratings get TOO low, then it's just not gonna help HBO's subscription rates.

They're actually more flexible with shows than most other networks, just under Showtime, which has kept the god-awful Weeds and Dexter going forever.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4808 on: March 16, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
If HBO was more successful there's certainly a shot it would have not been cancelled over this. But overall HBO relies on subscribers and critical acclaim over ratings, and Luck was already stirring controversy over the horse deaths. Treme has rather pedestrian ratings, but keeps getting renewed because critics love it.

It seems like they're still failing to find a true flagship show; True Blood, Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire are obviously their most popular shows but I get the feeling they want something less niche, like another Sopranos. They thought BE would be that show, and while the ratings/critical acclaim are good....eh, it's just not a "must see" show.

I bet HBO execs kick themselves every morning for turning down Mad Men

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4809 on: March 16, 2012, 03:35:17 PM »
Ah, didn't know that

Himu

« Reply #4810 on: March 16, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
why the fuck DID HBO turn down Mad Men?
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4811 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:45 AM »
Spartacus :bow

Damn good ep, even if I knew exactly how it would play out; Glaber no longer loves his wife, and Spartacus is no animal - he was never going to kill her.

I'm confused by Gannicus' stance though. He would be branded a traitor and dead man regardless of whether Spartacus decided to kill her or not...so why was he pissed? It's not like he could waltz back to Rome if Illythria had been killed.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #4812 on: March 17, 2012, 03:20:31 AM »
He was pissed because he risked every thing to see the scales balanced, and see Glaber experience the pain Spartacus felt. The only reason he did it was so that Spartacus could kill Illythia to begin with. Since he didn't kill her, Gannicus branded himself a traitor for no reason. He did exactly what Lucretia asked him to do, just in his own way. She asked him to balance the scales and kill Glaber, because that's what Spartacus wanted. Doing so would make the war effort go by faster. Instead, Gannicus brings Spartacus Illythia - Glaber's wife; a wife for a wife, and "vengeance" is sought. How did this fly over your head? lol
[close]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 03:23:38 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4813 on: March 17, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »
He was pissed because he risked every thing to see the scales balanced, and see Glaber experience the pain Spartacus felt. The only reason he did it was so that Spartacus could kill Illythia to begin with. Since he didn't kill her, Gannicus branded himself a traitor for no reason. He did exactly what Lucretia asked him to do, just in his own way. She asked him to balance the scales and kill Glaber, because that's what Spartacus wanted. Doing so would make the war effort go by faster. Instead, Gannicus brings Spartacus Illythia - Glaber's wife; a wife for a wife, and "vengeance" is sought. How did this fly over your head? lol
[close]

He branded himself a traitor for no reason regardless. Everyone knows he took Illythria, there's no coming back from that regardless of whether she lives or dies. Lucretia's promise meant nothing as she had no power to pardon him; Glaber would simply double the war effort and come after his ass too.

Maybe I'm confused because I'm looking at it solely from Gannicus' perspective, and the perspective of his future. He could have potentially killed Glaber and escaped without anyone noticing, gotten some reward from Lucretia and lived on while Rome hunted Spartacus. Now he's stuck with the rebellion. The complaint makes no sense.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #4814 on: March 17, 2012, 03:43:11 AM »
If she dies, it'd probably end more cute, young girls being crucified.

If Glaber dies, they'll just send in another dude and go even further.

People simple to me.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4815 on: March 17, 2012, 09:34:17 AM »
Watched the first episode of Rome. Really like it.

Beezy

« Reply #4816 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4817 on: March 17, 2012, 01:55:36 PM »
Young Justice episode 21 was really good.

For some reason I'm not feeling that last ep of spartacus, probably because I could predict everything playing out the way it did ahead of time.

« Reply #4818 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:04 PM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Finished 6 episodes of Portlandia and it's still going strong.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4819 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
The last three episodes of Season 2 are really average.

Himu

« Reply #4820 on: March 18, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
Catching up on my dvr and Life's Too Short is amazing
IYKYK

« Reply #4821 on: March 18, 2012, 11:03:30 PM »
You can make about 4 fantastic episodes of Portlandia from the first two seasons. The rest is just awkward unfunny skits that go on way too long.

Series finale of Walking Dead was awesome.
野球

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4822 on: March 18, 2012, 11:52:37 PM »
You can make about 4 fantastic episodes of Portlandia from the first two seasons. The rest is just awkward unfunny skits that go on way too long.

Series finale of Walking Dead was awesome.

if only it were the series finale
AMC

« Reply #4823 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »
:lol oops
野球

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4824 on: March 19, 2012, 12:04:50 AM »
Season finale had some fucking plot movement thank gooooooooood.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #4825 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:56 AM »
I've watched the first season of Damages in the past few days and holy shit it was pretty damn good. I remember turning on the pilot when it originally aired only for Rose Byrne, but I didn't really pay attention so I never watched another episode. Totally regret that decision.

Also watched the first few episodes of Workaholics tonight. Awesome stuff.

Due to a few recommendations, I went through the entire first season of Raising Hope a while back and I regret wasting my time. It wasn't bad, but if I'm watching hours of television, I want it to be awesome.
AMC

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4826 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:27 AM »
Great episode. Only thing I didn't like was
Lori rejecting Rick's decision on Shane. Just a couple episodes ago she basically told Rick he'd have to kill Shane. After Dale's death she gave Shane another chance, despite it being clear he was on the edge; I understand that Dale's death made her care for everyone in the group more, but why tell Shane he might be the father considering she knew how Shane would react.

Just stupid writing. Her character is a mess.
[close]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4827 on: March 19, 2012, 03:22:33 AM »
I have to admit I lol'd hard at anime character's introduction.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4828 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:08 AM »
Apparently that happens in the comic? lol wut

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4829 on: March 19, 2012, 03:27:19 AM »
I saw the panel in particular, and while it works in comic form it just seemed really strange in TV form. Like someone injected the show with Naruto.

cool breeze

« Reply #4830 on: March 19, 2012, 03:33:12 AM »
haha they put that in the show? it was already goofy in the comics

I wonder if they'll keep (big-ish comic spoilers)
the scene where she buttfucks a guy with a spoon and then scoops out his eyeball with it
[close]
probably not

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4831 on: March 19, 2012, 03:41:46 AM »
pic from comic compared to show
[close]

so, that really happened  :lol

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4832 on: March 19, 2012, 05:18:34 AM »
I think it might work out ok, they'll have to tread pretty lightly with it though.

Just went through the later half of season 2 and gotta say the show (might) be finally hitting it's stride. I always wanted to like the show but basically when it came back for season 2.5 i downloaded them and never even bothered watching them. Went through them all fairly quickly this week and was actually looking forward to the finale.  :o
___

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #4833 on: March 19, 2012, 09:56:55 AM »
Been watching Home Movies and enjoying it a lot. Only watched it sporadically during its original run. Funny enough though I don't like bob's burgers at all. Show isn't charming or funny in the same way for me.

Also please end the misery of the American Office. That show is turning into a shitty soap opera. And Steve Carell leaving has also dropped the funny from the show.

So I watched all of Bob's burgers season 1. I don't like it remotely as much as Home Movies, but I take back alot of the bad stuff I said about it. It's indeed a charming show and funny at spots. I like it.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4834 on: March 19, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
pic from comic compared to show
[close]

so, that really happened  :lol

they actually did it  :o

guess i gotta catch up now.
nat

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4835 on: March 19, 2012, 10:13:25 AM »
Been watching Home Movies and enjoying it a lot. Only watched it sporadically during its original run. Funny enough though I don't like bob's burgers at all. Show isn't charming or funny in the same way for me.

Also please end the misery of the American Office. That show is turning into a shitty soap opera. And Steve Carell leaving has also dropped the funny from the show.

So I watched all of Bob's burgers season 1. I don't like it remotely as much as Home Movies, but I take back alot of the bad stuff I said about it. It's indeed a charming show and funny at spots. I like it.
the first 2 episodes of season 2 have been pretty spectacular.

cool breeze

« Reply #4836 on: March 21, 2012, 12:59:05 AM »
Johnny Gat on Lost is weird.  In flashbacks he's supposed to be this thug that punches people.  On the island he's this bumbling guy with a billion situations centered around his inability to communicate.  Or he and his wife yell at each other.

Himu

« Reply #4837 on: March 21, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
holy shit the trailer for the new bsg gave me a boner

IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4838 on: March 21, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
when, how, where?

Himu

« Reply #4839 on: March 21, 2012, 10:23:41 AM »
it's a prequel.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4840 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
young Adama :bow

When does it start?

Himu

« Reply #4841 on: March 21, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
i dunno. sy fy are being their usual distinguished mentally-challenged selves and making the pilot a web series instead of a regular pilot because they're bloody mental.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4842 on: March 21, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
Johnny Gat on Lost is weird.  In flashbacks he's supposed to be this thug that punches people.  On the island he's this bumbling guy with a billion situations centered around his inability to communicate.  Or he and his wife yell at each other.
He's still pretty boss on the island.  Beat the shit out of Michael

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #4843 on: March 21, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »

His character gets alot better as the series progresses (the discrepancy will make a bit more sense)
___

cool breeze

« Reply #4844 on: March 21, 2012, 01:07:04 PM »
I'm only on Season 2 and there's a lot of time for it to get better.  He's still one of the better characters even if his and sun's story line is going in circles.

Best characters: John Locke and Mr. Eko
Worst characters: Charlie, Claire, Hurley, Michael, that 20-something white blonde.
LOL embarrassing character:  Sayid

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4845 on: March 21, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
God, Sayid's character is so terrible.  The only character I truly fucking hate.  His backstory is so godawful and boring.

I like Hurley's story.  It ROCKS YOUR FUCKING FACE, LINKZG!

cool breeze

« Reply #4846 on: March 21, 2012, 01:18:53 PM »
Hurley was fine until "I'm fat because I eat, and I eat because I'm fat"
Woman "then throw the food away"
Hurley "ok! forget the 40 other people who might want this food!"

also when Michael shoots a giant jar of ranch dressing.  stop wasting the food!

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4847 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »
Happy Endings tonight  :lol :lol

Derek is the funniest side-character on the show

draaaaaaaaaamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4848 on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:10 PM »
Game Of Thrones S2 sceeners went out a few days ago, so far the reaction is very positive.
http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20470532_20580368,00.html
https://twitter.com/#!/televisionary/status/182246194465095680

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4849 on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:18 PM »
Strange lack of Justified discussion in here this week, especially since that ending

etiolate

« Reply #4850 on: March 22, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »
I watch Justified, but don't bring it up here because nobody else does! It's like when I praise Raising Hope. Or Bob's Burgers.

I actually think Quarles is even more cartoonish now. The whole traumatic childhood thing is kinda cheese. Boyd Crowder's conquistador speech was great though. Boyd's got some style, too. He pulls off simple, hillfolk gangster while sporting a double breasted jacket.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #4851 on: March 22, 2012, 11:52:26 PM »
If seen some Justified discussion in here every week so far :o

That backstory being laid on us and the scene at the bar shows us just how much more cracked he has become. A foreshadowing of a desperate man about to pull of some desperate move

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4852 on: March 24, 2012, 12:50:25 AM »
The early reviews of The Killing S2 aren't looking great
https://twitter.com/#!/televisionary/status/183408766329438208
(he also says the second episode is an improvement)

I sometimes wonder whether some of the hate the show receives is due to the showrunner being so outspoken and critical of critics. But then I remember S1 had some major plot progression problems with the endless red herrings and questionable character decisions.

We'll see. I'm looking forward to the show's return.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4853 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:21 AM »
Spartacus is fucking amazing tonight. it's up there with mad men to me in terms of greatest tv shows

Himu

« Reply #4854 on: March 24, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
Illythia is officially my favorite character
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4855 on: March 24, 2012, 03:47:21 AM »
"Let us be monsters, and seize the fucking heavens." is just about

the best line

I have ever heard.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #4856 on: March 24, 2012, 04:03:00 AM »
"Let us be monsters, and seize the fucking heavens." is just about

the best line

I have ever heard.

Not “You know what I was thinking about - if Mary Tyler Moore married and then divorced Steven Tyler, then married and divorced Michael Moore, then got into a three-way lesbian marriage with Demi Moore and Mandy Moore, would she go by the name Mary Tyler Moore Tyler Moore Moore Moore"?

ZephyrFate

« Reply #4857 on: March 24, 2012, 04:17:06 AM »
No? But that line is hilarious. Illythia became legendary tonight.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #4858 on: March 24, 2012, 03:30:08 PM »
Been going through The Sopranos and man, I chalked it up as a basic mafioso series that portrays this aspect interestingly but it seriously is good at all aspects. Finding the intent in characters, fleshing out the main characters. Music is amazingly good, I just watched the scene where Christopher throws out his screenplay and its just dripping in melancholy, especially considering why he does it. I also loved how it tackled the image of the gangster Italian versus the 'white bread' versions and how they're at odds. Then, in the second season, they give you a glimpse of how these american gangsters are perceived in their own motherland.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #4859 on: March 24, 2012, 03:41:32 PM »
It's a very good and consistent show. And as you said, it's quite different from the public perception, which was basically a gangster show where every week you wonder who gets whacked. Most episodes don't feature any "action" and it's really a straight up drama.