Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2101214 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #5460 on: June 26, 2012, 12:43:15 PM »
I adore Sports Night and West Wing, so I'm the target demographic. The pilot for Studio 60 was brilliant, but the rest of the series was fucking awful.
I'm clinging to just Sports Night, I'm going to trust the Sorkinphiles like TV's Andy Levy to tell me if it's worth watching.
Interest seems to have dropped off a cliff since the first series, but has anyone else been watching Episodes? It's seriously hit or miss but I still find myself checking it out for the odd good moment like LeBlanc's ex. Also, the tits on that girl in the previous week's episode were glorious.
Watching it, I love it. I think you have to get to an acceptance of where the main characters are. Whatever the fuck they were pitching in the first two episodes is now Pucks! and so is Episodes?
Been catching up on Parks & Recreations.  Had watched some of the first season before but it wasn't really grabbing me.  Watching the rest now and it's growing on me.  Rashida Jones is cute and Aziz Ansari is awesome.
First season is not that great and a trial like The Office, it leaps a level in the second season when it find its place and then is like Kobe all over your face by the third.
Watched the new episode of Wilfred. Show is so weird. Loved the Robin Williams bit.
I may have zero idea what is actually happening in this show.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5461 on: June 26, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
That is probably the point

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #5462 on: June 26, 2012, 07:42:24 PM »
I've been watching random episode of Law & Order: SVU lately.

i will never stop loving SVU.
nat

Bebpo

« Reply #5463 on: June 27, 2012, 03:15:15 AM »
Started season 2 of Parks.  Wow, so much better already.  First ep was great!

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #5464 on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:34 AM »
Because look at him. Fabulous as fuckin' hell.

Also, The Borgias is a great show and I think I might like it more than Game of Thrones

GoT is good but I kind of agree. Have you finished the second season yet?

Himu

« Reply #5465 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:38 AM »
studio 60 was atrocious

wilfred is on again?

people, please make bold posts when FX premieres seasons, because who the fuck watches FX beyond their television programming?
IYKYK

etiolate

« Reply #5466 on: June 27, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
WILFRED doesn't officially start until Thursday, but there was like a preview episode or a bridging episode that deals with what happened in the season finale. It should be on FX's website.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5467 on: June 28, 2012, 02:14:18 AM »
Because look at him. Fabulous as fuckin' hell.

Also, The Borgias is a great show and I think I might like it more than Game of Thrones

GoT is good but I kind of agree. Have you finished the second season yet?

I'm almost finished. Three more eps.

This is as good if not better than Game of Thrones. Fans of Downton Abbey would like it too.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #5468 on: June 28, 2012, 02:57:26 AM »
Been watching Northern Exposure. The writing is fantastic. The topics touched on are timeless and the show doesn't feel aged at all. The scenario and setting maybe but its still enjoyable and relevant. And the main character Joel Fleishman could have been an absolutely awful character but the way he's written and the way the actor portrays him can be very lovable and relatable. Another cool aspect is using the local radio station as a way to narrate via the DJs personal thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 03:01:36 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #5469 on: June 28, 2012, 03:15:26 AM »

yea boi

etiolate

« Reply #5470 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
omg Wilfred :lol

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5471 on: June 29, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Watched Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated. It's fun enough. I mean its a kids show but there is enough there to tickle me. They do a good job of making the whole thing seem relevant in a modern way instead of solely just being a nostalgia cash in. Fred in particular has benefited and gone from a boring character to being the reason to watch the show.

Himu

« Reply #5472 on: June 29, 2012, 05:30:29 PM »
I'm starting to think that Wilfred should have been a one shot and had only one season. I mean, season 2 premiere was good and all, but it's the same shit. One season would have been perfect, but Americans just can't have that.
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5473 on: June 29, 2012, 09:47:06 PM »
I don't agree with that at all and think you're wrong. The mystery of it all is exactly why it needs to keep going -- and it's still really hilarious.

Himu

« Reply #5474 on: June 29, 2012, 09:49:13 PM »
I thought sesason 1 finale was a fine series finale. There doesn't really need to be anything else said on the subject. Anything else feels like they're dragging it out.

Also, there is no mystery: Wilfred is a real dog, but doesn't talk. Elijah is insane, this much was already confirmed in season 1.

IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5475 on: June 29, 2012, 10:02:40 PM »
Except season 2 just confirmed that he's not. And Wilfred's "reality" is still just as up in the air.

Season 1 didn't "prove" anything.

Himu

« Reply #5476 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
When you say Wilfred's reality, do you mean the dog or the show. How did season 2 confirm he's not nuts?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #5477 on: June 29, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
btw I have a crush on Elijah Wood
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5478 on: June 29, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »
The whole sequence in the first episode of the season was a fucking dream ffs. I mean how everyone treats Wilfred and the things that he does -- I don't know how Ryan could just be "envisioning" most of that stuff, such as Wilfred knocking over a fucking playset by himself (a normal dog wouldn't have been able to do that).

As long as it remains funny and does not answer anything (which it hasn't. it really hasn't) then the show is fine.

Himu

« Reply #5479 on: June 29, 2012, 10:09:49 PM »
wasn't last night's episode the season premiere? I don't remember any dream.
IYKYK

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5480 on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
the actual season "premiere" was put up on the FX website a week ago, but I think they switched the order around. "Progress" is the actual first episode of the season.

etiolate

« Reply #5481 on: June 30, 2012, 12:51:25 AM »
Yeah the first episode is "Progress", and "Letting go" was what aired on TV.

Watch Progress. It makes things even weirder. Like Ryan's new job comes out of nowhere and the way his basement is boarded up is all wtf. I think he's mentally ill. My greatest proof of that is his obsession with Jenna when she pretty much sucks. His new labcoat hunny is hot. I can't wait for Wilfred to walk in on them having sex and then comparing her to Bear.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #5482 on: June 30, 2012, 01:03:58 AM »
Did anyone check out Charlie Sheen's new show? I'm wondering what it's like.
itm

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5483 on: June 30, 2012, 06:23:02 PM »
All the good guys in Spartacus are half naked.
:{]

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5484 on: June 30, 2012, 07:15:13 PM »
mmm yes they are

benjipwns

« Reply #5485 on: July 01, 2012, 02:16:59 AM »
I took the plunge. It has a laugh track. Made four gay jokes in the first minute.

Speaking of gay, the attractive gay guy from Spin City is on it.

And Charlie's character is named Charlie.

"My boyfriend cheated on me, so I shot him in the balls." EPIC LAUGHTER.

His daughter has problems! OCD! He's a former baseball player with a group of wacky friends!

Linda from Becker! Brett Butler! And there's a bar!

Not really sure why this is on FX. Seems closer to Til Death. Without the clever writing and apathetic acting.

"Can't we hang onto some of the benefits? A COBRA plan if you will?"
"Sorry Charlie, you'll have to put your COBRA back in your pants."
"Can't I get once last extension?"
"I'm afraid not, actually, I have some paperwork for you to fill out."
"This better be worth it. This thing is already turning into a bureaucratic nightmare."
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

Shawnee Smith is still pretty attractive in my book.

I probably can't watch the second episode, sorry.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5486 on: July 01, 2012, 02:33:44 AM »
I'll probably watch it when it hits Netflix.  It supposedly set a FX record in terms of viewers so it will probably be around for a while.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

« Reply #5487 on: July 01, 2012, 02:43:14 AM »
Yeah, I believe it gave Louie and Wilfred the best ratings they ever got.

But Two and a Half Men was a juggernaut for CBS. Maybe there's some kind of Charlie Sheen fanbase out there.

Wouldn't mind if it continued that FX started pumping out more of Anger Management just to stick in front of all their shows.

I should say that I see why people might like it, as I do all the CBS stuff, Whitney, etc. But I don't see why FX viewers would. Unless people are watching it for the Sheen alone. (Likely, at least the premiere.)

Wouldn't be surprised either if it collapses entirely in the second week and gets yanked by the fourth or fifth week.

Himu

« Reply #5488 on: July 01, 2012, 03:08:31 AM »
anyone watch brand x
IYKYK

patrickula

« Reply #5489 on: July 01, 2012, 01:31:29 PM »
:bow Danger 5 :bow2
:bow Ilsa :bow2

It's pitch perfect.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5490 on: July 01, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »
lets get straight to the biscuits
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:27:20 PM by ZephyrFate »

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5491 on: July 01, 2012, 05:12:01 PM »
ZephyrFate. I'm watching episode 3 and it's seriously gay as hell, I'm pretty damn sure that it wasn't as overt as this in season 1. It's like a gay producer pressed a big button marked needs more gayness
It's still pretty awesome though. And is better than the last season of The Why're they.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5492 on: July 01, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
Needs more gayness disappears for about 7 seconds, which means there a lot of potential for longer sentences.

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
« Reply #5493 on: July 01, 2012, 06:40:16 PM »
I took the plunge. It has a laugh track. Made four gay jokes in the first minute.

Speaking of gay, the attractive gay guy from Spin City is on it.

And Charlie's character is named Charlie.

"My boyfriend cheated on me, so I shot him in the balls." EPIC LAUGHTER.

His daughter has problems! OCD! He's a former baseball player with a group of wacky friends!

Linda from Becker! Brett Butler! And there's a bar!

Not really sure why this is on FX. Seems closer to Til Death. Without the clever writing and apathetic acting.

"Can't we hang onto some of the benefits? A COBRA plan if you will?"
"Sorry Charlie, you'll have to put your COBRA back in your pants."
"Can't I get once last extension?"
"I'm afraid not, actually, I have some paperwork for you to fill out."
"This better be worth it. This thing is already turning into a bureaucratic nightmare."
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

Shawnee Smith is still pretty attractive in my book.

I probably can't watch the second episode, sorry.

Yup.

At first I thought it was a parody of Two and a Half Men or just sitcoms in general (similar to Lucky Louie). I believe I was mistaken.
(|)

benjipwns

« Reply #5494 on: July 02, 2012, 06:38:50 AM »
I've come to love Necessary Roughness.

Common Law is growing on me too. Hope Fairly Legal gets to come back after the leap it made this season.

Oh, USA shows.

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5495 on: July 03, 2012, 11:00:54 PM »
Rewatching the Wire. Was discussing with my mother reasons why we like it and it came to us that all of the women on the show are professionals, get shit done and don't fall into that "hysterical" trope that so many female characters do.

Himu

« Reply #5496 on: July 03, 2012, 11:03:50 PM »
Shardene is a stripper at one point. Bay's wife leeches off of him. But yes, The Wire has the most human female characters I've seen on a show. I particularly like Kima and her relationship with her girlfriend and how their relationship is torn apart by adding a kid into the mix.
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5497 on: July 03, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Shardene is a stripper at one point. Bay's wife leeches off of him. But yes, The Wire has the most human female characters I've seen on a show. I particularly like Kima and her relationship with her girlfriend and how their relationship is torn apart by adding a kid into the mix.

Kima, the Assistant State's Attorney, Daniels Wife/ex-wife, Officer Russel, Snoop, even some of the more minor characters. They just seem like different people rather than Female #7.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:12:16 PM by Needs More Cowbell »

Himu

« Reply #5498 on: July 03, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
True, but you said all.  :P
IYKYK

Shadow Mod

• It was Tuesday
« Reply #5499 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
True, but you said all.  :P

I forgot about the girlfriend =/ but she's outnumbered anyway so it's all good.

Kabouter

« Reply #5500 on: July 04, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »

Kima, the Assistant State's Attorney, Daniels Wife/ex-wife, Officer Russel, Snoop, even some of the more minor characters. They just seem like different people rather than Female #7.
Snoop is such an awesome character. The scene at the beginning of season 4 where she visits a hardware store is probably one of my favourite scenes in the series. It so perfectly encapsulates that clash between two completely different worlds.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5501 on: July 04, 2012, 03:02:41 AM »
Season 2 was The Wires apex.

Has the gore and sex quota being seriously upped in Spartacus Vengeance ? I'm sure it wasn't this ott.

Himu

« Reply #5502 on: July 04, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »
Yes, thank Game of Thrones.
IYKYK

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5503 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »
Phew, I thought it was just me.

Also Gannacus, or the guy playing him is either slightly brain-damaged or has a speech defect in real life, it's hard to tell which though, just like in real life. People with lisps are usually pretty awkward to be around, I find myself unconsciously talking slower, and using mime to emphasis a point.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5504 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »
I think he speaks just fine

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5505 on: July 06, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »
Actually, I think a stroke could be an equally viable option.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
« Reply #5506 on: July 06, 2012, 10:09:26 AM »
Marathoning Girls.  The first episode can serve as a kind of barrier to entry, as the sense of privilege can really undercut your ability to empathize with the main character.  I imagine the show is very difficult to stomache for people my age that are in situations far, far worse then anything that will ever happen to the characters on the show.  That being said, its genuinely funny.  I'm trying to watch the third season of eastbound and down as well and I can barely stomache it after watching an episode of girls, which just has so much more work put in to its comedy.

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5507 on: July 06, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Barry I agree with some of your points.

I finished Spartacuss Vengeance, and basically, I think the writers Massively over-compensated the goodness in Spartacus due to the fact of death by cancer, and a new main. The sex/gore scenes are used in a fashion of an 14 yr old boy with add.
Crixus has become thinner (maybe aids or tapeworm, on top of the asthma) but is still excellent, the guy who looks like someone else, buts German and has a Syrian bff is pretty cool, Gannacus I'm actually now sure is a brave example of living with a stroke or bells palsy. Either way, he's pretty good.

The Roman stuff was more interesting. Also known as Xena and one of the cynaxs from BSG was great, and looked pretty hot, quite glad they didn't show the womb-scar, that would've detracted from her hotness quite a lot! Glabbus was great, his wife, looked like Julian Sands, the bro-praetor was good, perky youngtits etc.

I watched it, maybe 6/10ccs.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5508 on: July 06, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
ok.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5509 on: July 06, 2012, 07:07:09 PM »
It was a damn good season. Started a bit iffy but then built up a lot of momentum

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5510 on: July 06, 2012, 07:12:08 PM »
At least we can both agree that it wasnt Blood and Sand.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5511 on: July 06, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
It wasn't as good as the prequel or first season

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5512 on: July 06, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
The prequel had about as much appeal as jupiters rotting cock shoved up my ass.

Also the general syntax of Stacus is amazing.
Ly gay !!!!

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5513 on: July 06, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »
I don't agree. "Libertus", "Monsters", and "Wrath of the Gods" were all better than anything from the first season or prequel.

Himu

« Reply #5514 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »
agreed with zephyr
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #5515 on: July 06, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Overall it didn't really compare though, which can mainly be attributed to the lack of Andy and you-know-who

Himu

« Reply #5516 on: July 06, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Disagree. People jump on Andy for being great, but he only came into his own in the second half of the series and Illythia replaced Batiatus as the badass.
IYKYK

Verdigris Murder

• #metoo
« Reply #5517 on: July 06, 2012, 08:05:35 PM »
When you guys go at it I always think of Serena and Venus.

ZephyrFate

« Reply #5518 on: July 06, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
We are monsters, Gaius. Let us be so together, and seize the fucking heavens.

Beezy

« Reply #5519 on: July 06, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »
When you guys go at it I always think of Serena and Venus.
:rofl