Author Topic: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.  (Read 2087271 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The TV shows you've seen recently thread.
« Reply #13980 on: October 30, 2017, 03:09:10 AM »
You’re probably the kind of viewers that didn’t immediately recognize The Phantom Menace ... as being completely without value.
:bolo

THREE AND A HALF WHOLE MINUTES OF VALUE

etiolate

« Reply #13981 on: October 30, 2017, 03:09:31 AM »
I don't think the red pill thing is that deep into Matrix lore.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13982 on: October 30, 2017, 08:27:08 AM »
Half way through and I'm also ready to declare that Stranger Things season 2 sucks chub.
zzzzz

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #13983 on: October 30, 2017, 09:38:49 AM »
I didn't dislike Stranger Things season 2, but I feel like it fell into the trap of doing too much in not enough time. Season 1 was so focused and confident in it's intentions whereas season 2 wants to do so much more. It spends so much more time on all the characters and as a result it feels spread too thin.

It also throws a lot of different influences, front HP Lovecraft, The Exorcist, Aliens, etc and it does those things well but it just makes it feel too bloated and unfocused.

Being in this world still feels nice, so I enjoyed my time. Just not as much as before.
nat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #13984 on: October 30, 2017, 10:07:01 AM »
It might be different on here, but the parts I liked about Reloaded have always been the stuff other people seem to always hate. The Merovingian and The Architect. And the related world building episodes in The Animatrix.

The latter two movies had really shitty pacing at a level that makes Nolan's Batman films look well paced. They also do a really bad job of explaining why Agent Smith is such a problem and why the solution/agreement to stop him is accepted.

Then again I never gave a shit about Neo or Zion or any of them, the programs were more interesting. :lol

To make a semi-funny point only because I'm thinking about it from that tweet shared in the outside link thread making a joke about it, the whole "redpill" movement thing doesn't really seem to take into account The Architect's entire explanation of how the "choice" is intentionally planted by the machines as a form of control and how they recreate it every time. Though I'm sure there's a five hundred page explanation somewhere I could read about it, or a two hour video to watch.

A writer friend told me her ideal sequel would feature Neo as the new bad guy, simply because absolute power corrupts absolutely. I would have loved to see that movie.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13985 on: October 30, 2017, 10:30:07 AM »
This episode of vice principals  :aah

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #13986 on: October 30, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
I didn't dislike Stranger Things season 2, but I feel like it fell into the trap of doing too much in not enough time. Season 1 was so focused and confident in it's intentions whereas season 2 wants to do so much more. It spends so much more time on all the characters and as a result it feels spread too thin.

It also throws a lot of different influences, front HP Lovecraft, The Exorcist, Aliens, etc and it does those things well but it just makes it feel too bloated and unfocused.

Being in this world still feels nice, so I enjoyed my time. Just not as much as before.

They made the critical sophomore error of trying to give every character from the first season something to do. I don't give a fuck about Nancy, Johnathan and Steve's boring little love triangle. Eleven has nothing to do, and dedicating half of every episode to her mind-numbingly boring side-plot is the laziest fan service. And do we really need to spend so much time establishing this awful Max character just so the black kid has a purpose? Bleh. Shit's bloated with pointless filler.
zzzzz

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #13987 on: October 30, 2017, 11:19:31 AM »
Nancy is really cute.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13988 on: October 30, 2017, 11:40:46 AM »
Watching Dirk Gently episode 2 of season 2 :lawd

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13989 on: October 30, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
Oh that’s airing? Too many damn shows

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13990 on: October 30, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
Just finished episode 3, this season is great so far <3

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13991 on: October 30, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
berlin station is back too but I think im the only person watching lol

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #13992 on: October 30, 2017, 01:44:55 PM »
I dropped it in s1, was too plodding and couldnt hold me with all the other shows that i was watching

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13993 on: October 30, 2017, 02:43:40 PM »
berlin station is back too but I think im the only person watching lol

I discovered that show on Netflix last week and put it on my watchlist, mainly because of the setting but I also kinda grave a good spy thriller show.

I wonder how atrocious the spoken German is going to be :lol

Tasty

« Reply #13994 on: October 30, 2017, 09:32:28 PM »
Dirk Gently is somehow even more fucking insane this season. I don't mind but it needs to give some scenes some fucking breathing room, Jesus.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13995 on: October 30, 2017, 10:21:25 PM »
yeah im having a hard time with the second episode, im just not in the mood lol

Beezy

« Reply #13996 on: October 30, 2017, 11:03:36 PM »

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #13997 on: October 30, 2017, 11:19:42 PM »
Nancy is really cute.

I couldnt deal with nuzzling under that jawline. It'll be like kissing a countertop.
:9

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13998 on: October 31, 2017, 03:32:31 PM »
Finished up season of Mind Hunter. Darn good show.

I would say the second half isn't quite as awesome as the first half, but honestly that feels like a nitpick. I couldn't wait to watch every episode.

Second season will be interesting.

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #13999 on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »
Mindhunter is great, but I agree the second half isn't as strong as the first

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The subplot about the investigation into the tape is a pretty fucking boring distraction to put into a show about serial killers. Like is that supposed to ratchet up the tension?
[close]

Stranger things sets up well and goes to shit in the second half. Whose idea was it to not have the kids interact that much? It's kind of the magic of the first season. Episode 7 is easily the low point, and one of the dumbest choices for a tv show in recent memory.
vin

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #14000 on: October 31, 2017, 04:42:50 PM »
My big problem with Stranger Things 2 is that it really didn’t have a central compelling mystery or goal like the first. And the new characters were pretty pointless. And if that was how they planned on using Eleven, they should have shitcanned the idea and just had her come back later in the season.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:56:20 PM by TVC 15 »
serge

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #14001 on: October 31, 2017, 05:28:42 PM »
Eleven is a perfect example of fandom ruining fiction. Her return should've been drawn out and teased heavily until she finally appears for like the last couple of episodes, but because everyone dressed as her for the last two Halloweens we have to have her occupying half of every episode with nothing to do.
zzzzz

Steve Contra

« Reply #14002 on: October 31, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
Eh, I doubt she would stayed if she wasn't a regular cast member. They just needed to give her something to do related to the plot.

And they should have had a better plot
[close]
vin

etiolate

« Reply #14003 on: October 31, 2017, 05:59:51 PM »
I like her relationship with Hopper. I think they should have joined her up with the rest sooner. That goes for all the kids though.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #14004 on: October 31, 2017, 06:01:15 PM »
I’m only through ep 6 I think but the thing with

her mom was good tv I thought
[close]

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14005 on: October 31, 2017, 06:09:57 PM »
Man, I wish I would have stayed out of this thread  :-\
I'm only two episodes in on Stranger Things 2 and so far I like what I've seen. But your reactions don't sound too hot and my hype is deflating now :(

etiolate

« Reply #14006 on: October 31, 2017, 06:11:33 PM »
I liked it. I binged it pretty hard.

Reflections always come across a bit negative.

Beezy

« Reply #14007 on: October 31, 2017, 08:46:04 PM »
Fuck their reactions. It was another good season.

Tasty

« Reply #14008 on: October 31, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »
Yeah ST2 was good fun, not as good as the first season but that was always a long shot.

A lot of it is clearly setup for future stuff if they decide to do it, and if they do then a lot of the stuff that feels like filler in ST2 will probably be looked back on more kindly.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #14009 on: November 01, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
Been watching Season 1 of The Good Place. I coming to find I've loved Ted Danson in nearly everything he's done.
:9

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14010 on: November 01, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »
Started s5, the final season, of Person of Interest. First episode came out really strong, starting with a mysterious opening that shows where they'll end this 13-episode season. Feels bleak but completely engaging.

Second episode starts off with some much needed humor, clearly the actors enjoy doing impersonations of each others' characters. But while the main story is interesting, it doesn't seem to want to follow its own established series rules.
- Samaritan uses something called "manually tracking" when it can't identify a threat but knows one is there.
- Samaritan has completely forgotten that it knows who Root is. She then tells it, straight up, "I'm Root, bitch."
- The Machine is back in order, and has a local interface with text. This is how The Machine always delivered its numbers when Finch was at the library, but it calls the number to a nearby phone instead.
- Samaritan saw all three operatives leaving the scene with the briefcase last season. It recognized Reese, which it shouldn't have been able to do. Beginning of s4, Reese is identified by Samaritan as Detective Reilly.
[close]

More than any of this, the gang also seems to have forgotten that the numbers are never clear as VICTIM or PERPETRATOR, which is called "plot-induced stupidity" on TVtropes. Here we are in s5, everything they learned and were so consistent about in s1-2, out the damned window.

I'm glad they had a chance to wrap up the series, and I'm definitely in for the full ride, but I'm gonna have to switch off my brain.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #14011 on: November 01, 2017, 12:02:42 PM »
Been watching Season 1 of The Good Place. I coming to find I've loved Ted Danson in nearly everything he's done.

I've been liking this too. Danson really is a delight.

Somehow seeing him on Curb Your Enthusiasm just heightens it.
___

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #14012 on: November 01, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Will start Mindhunters soon. People who say the second half isn't as strong as the first...isn't that typical of Netflix? Their shows almost seem built to spark binge watching by having a great 1-3 episodes and then the quality falls. This was very evident with Stranger Things S1 to me.

etiolate

« Reply #14013 on: November 01, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
The Good Place reminds me of a Greg Garcia show.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #14014 on: November 01, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
I watched it earlier this year, but if anyone is looking for a show to watch check out Patriot on Amazon. It's fucking hilarious.

Will start Mindhunters soon. People who say the second half isn't as strong as the first...isn't that typical of Netflix? Their shows almost seem built to spark binge watching by having a great 1-3 episodes and then the quality falls. This was very evident with Stranger Things S1 to me.

Watching it now and up to 6 and the Fincher directed episodes at the beginning were the worst two imo. Show doesn't have much of an ongoing plot anyway, it's basically about FBI agents traveling the country, interviewing prisoners, and catching criminals.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #14015 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
They wrote out 5 seasons of Mindhunters apparently.

I think a lot of the problems with the 2nd half of seasons is that they're just too long.  I can see how Mindhunters would have additions seasons, but the first season could have probably been 5 or 6 really great episodes.  This is true of most shows.

« Reply #14016 on: November 01, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »
I thought it was odd that one episode of Mindhunter was only 35 minutes.
野球

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14017 on: November 01, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
Apparently there's talk of bringing Millennium back to TV like x-files, now it's been decades, can you guys confirm that it's as dark as I remember? In my mind it was around se7en level.

Steve Contra

« Reply #14018 on: November 01, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »
There's one performance in the first half of Mindhunter that doesn't have an equal in the second half, and there's a kind of dumb subplot, but other than that there isn't a real drop off in quality.
vin

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14019 on: November 01, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »
Apparently there's talk of bringing Millennium back to TV like x-files, now it's been decades, can you guys confirm that it's as dark as I remember? In my mind it was around se7en level.

I think I was twelve or thirteen or so when watching Millennium. I don't really remember it that well but yeah, it was dark, though I think more subtle than X-Files. I do remember the finale very well. That outbreak storyline scared the shit out of me for days (and especially nights) afterwards. And I remember I was disappointed that they retconned most of what happened in that finale in one of the subsequent X-Files seasons.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #14020 on: November 01, 2017, 03:28:33 PM »
RE: Mindhunters

I thought the show has a severe Main Character Problem in that Holden just was not interesting until very near the end. Whereas Bill was a much better character and I cared far more about what his deal was. Hell, even Olivia...errr Wendy was more interesting. Plus the relationship side-story with Holden was just frustrating... they didn't even like each other!

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:37:12 PM by fistfulofmetal »
nat

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14021 on: November 01, 2017, 03:52:11 PM »

My favorite joke in first season of The Good Place involves danson and saltines. He's always had great comedic timing.

(Outside of Becker.)
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14022 on: November 01, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
There's one performance in the first half of Mindhunter that doesn't have an equal in the second half, and there's a kind of dumb subplot, but other than that there isn't a real drop off in quality.

I would agree with this.

The first half is better but its not like the 2nd half drops off a cliff.

It's hard in general to do a consistent full great season period. It's very difficult in any show to plot itself so tightly that everything pays off. It's not just a netflix issue. It's a general entertainment in any medium issue. The first half of anything is generally easier because setup is easier than resolution.

« Reply #14023 on: November 01, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »

It was dark. The apocalypse happened, lots of characters died.
野球

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14024 on: November 01, 2017, 05:16:36 PM »
They tried to lighten it up in the second season then course corrected in the third but yea, that first season was dark. IIRC tv critics brought it up again when Hannibal was airing because it was a very obvious influence (Lance Henrikson even guest starred).

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #14025 on: November 01, 2017, 05:18:43 PM »
Thank you nice boys  :-[

I hope if this goes through they let them just go wherever and not try and curb things too much.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #14026 on: November 01, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
Sorry but it seems I was mistaken about the finale I was talking about. After reading toku's post I browsed Wikipedia, and apparently that storyline with the virus outbreak was just the season 2 finale, not the actual end of the show. I must have completly missed the subsequent last season. No wonder I was confused by that X-Files episode that finally concluded Millennium :lol

I think I'm going to rewatch the show again. Is the new one a remake or just a new season?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14027 on: November 01, 2017, 05:38:41 PM »
I still rewatch the "The Wild and The Innocent" episode every now and then. I love the first season a lot. Just a sucker for solid narration but it's also a great example of what they show did really well. Balancing just bleak terribleness (loliknow) with hope.

TVC15

« Reply #14028 on: November 01, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »
Only Millenium ep I’ve seen in full was the Jose Chung episode and I didn’t like it :(
serge

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14029 on: November 01, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
I much preferred Millenium to X-Files

Both were overly-pretentious but I preferred the dark brooding soliloquy style of monologuing that Lance Henrikson brought to the table.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14030 on: November 01, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Only Millenium ep I’ve seen in full was the Jose Chung episode and I didn’t like it :(

yeah that was part of fox/wong & co's effort to lighten it up in season 2. The show went from a pretty grim procedural about hunting the worst murderers, rapists, sicks and crazy spree killers to having actual maybe demons in funny bottle episodes. Season 2 is such a departure the finale has a 10 minute long acid trip scene as a main character goes mad because the world is ending.

Side Note: Ever wondered what a young John Hawkes looks like? He guest starred in Millennium:

good ep too
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:19:31 PM by toku »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #14031 on: November 01, 2017, 11:12:45 PM »
CHADARRRRRRRRRRRLENE, I'm right behind you.

Next week's Mr. Robot is gonna bit lit, fam. Real spoiler for those that aren't watching this current season and want to be surprised, uh... don't click or quote me.

Darlene is sooooooo gonna die next episode probably.
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #14032 on: November 02, 2017, 12:58:36 AM »
Archie’s shirtless scene tonight was  :-*  :-* :-* :P :D
serge

etiolate

« Reply #14033 on: November 02, 2017, 01:38:02 AM »
Started watching Mindhunters. The main character comes off as an idiot.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14034 on: November 02, 2017, 01:49:06 AM »

Over-Eager, Naive, overly idealist sure.

Idiot.

Couldn't disagree more.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #14035 on: November 02, 2017, 01:50:06 AM »

Seems pretty clear that they're portraying him somewhere along the spectrum. He's effective otherwise.
___

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #14036 on: November 02, 2017, 02:20:19 AM »

I think I was twelve or thirteen or so when watching Millennium. I don't really remember it that well but yeah, it was dark, though I think more subtle than X-Files. I do remember the finale very well. That outbreak storyline scared the shit out of me for days (and especially nights) afterwards. And I remember I was disappointed that they retconned most of what happened in that finale in one of the subsequent X-Files seasons.

I never really got into X-Files, but boy did I enjoy millennium. The first season is the best season, and it looked like whatever executive interference crept into season 2 managed to that kill my interest in it. But that first season was dark as hell and very effective.

etiolate

« Reply #14037 on: November 02, 2017, 02:35:56 AM »
Yeah idiot not the right word. Naive or gullible.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14038 on: November 02, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

I never really got into X-Files, but boy did I enjoy millennium. The first season is the best season, and it looked like whatever executive interference crept into season 2 managed to that kill my interest in it. But that first season was dark as hell and very effective.

Blame that on James Wong and Glen Morgan. Fox put them on season 2 to bring it a little more in line with X-Files instead of the quiet meditation on darkness that s1 was.

TVC15

« Reply #14039 on: November 02, 2017, 11:40:29 PM »
This week’s The Good Place...

serge