Author Topic: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk  (Read 560960 times)

lennedsay

• Senior MILF
Re: Official Thread of Flogging the Log: A Place for Better Random Talk
« Reply #4080 on: February 28, 2010, 11:39:15 AM »
Oh yea you couldn't smoke either.

I saw them last year at this chill place with 40 other people, tables, booze, and it was 21+, not fetus+.
(|)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4081 on: February 28, 2010, 11:59:01 AM »
Anyone hate being the IT guy for the folks?

My mom went through her THIRD WORK LAPTOP in less than a year, and decided to buy a personal one. So yesterday evening, I spent most of my free time setting it up for her, removing all the bloat ware, installing proper security measures, counseling on her on routine maintenance and what not to do. I got her Digsby to consolidate all fifty of her stupid social messaging programs.

Today, after I got done with breakfast, I got a call that it's acting all funky and when I just checked it, she's got like fifty messaging programs ("I didn't like Digsby!"), downloaded some weird bloatware themes package ("I didn't like the one in the background!") and had already fucked up her computer with malware. :lol

I was like, "Fuck it, you're on your own."
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4082 on: February 28, 2010, 12:06:47 PM »
She plays all these shitty flash games and buys all these wacky fucking mahjong and puzzle games from less-than-reputable sources. Everytime I try to get her to buy PopCap games or use specific software vendors, she turns her nose at me.

She also exercises no proper application management or software maintenance. Her laptops have approximately ONE BILLION shortcuts and she leaves fifty million windows open.

She hates the new laptop too. It's brand new Gateway! She hates the new LED screen because "the font is too small", but when I use Windows 7 to make it bigger it the font then becomes "too large". She is irritated by the fact that the shortcuts have little arrows in the icons (which I had to tell her was always the case) and why all of her music did not appear in iTunes when she loaded it up for the first time (she has not imported her library over from the iPod yet).

Old people. :lol
PSP

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4083 on: February 28, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »
i normally just attach a usb drive, transfer anything they need, then wipe the PC. fuck it, why bother with all that mess.
fat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4084 on: February 28, 2010, 12:13:51 PM »
Every time I attempt a clean install, that just makes her upset. But with three dead laptops, two dead desktops and one eMachines PC that is so loaded with malware that I feel like I should donate it to science for research, all left in her wake, she finally asked me for help in setting up her new laptop.

Eh, it was a dumb judgment call on my behalf. I should have known better. Oh well. Live and let learn.
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4085 on: February 28, 2010, 12:14:40 PM »
how does that necessitate a new laptop? i mean, i go through three laptops a year, too, but that's because i'm a tech whore

the worst things malware can do are fuck up a bios (which can be reflashed) or fuck up an hd (which can be replaced).
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4086 on: February 28, 2010, 12:16:32 PM »
She'd run each machine into the ground until it couldn't even boot from the hard drive. I was able to salvage the desktops, but I don't feel like tinkering with her work laptops.

Her IT guys just give her a new machine, as well. But when there's downtime, she has nothing, since she uses her work laptop for personal computing. That's why she went and bought a personal laptop.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:18:04 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4087 on: February 28, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »
then reformat 'em! put in windows disk, boot from cd, MAGIC TYME

and if she somehow picked up a rare sata/ide spindown virus, the laptop's hd is stupid easy to replace. like maybe even father_mike could do it

well, okay, it's more kosma level
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 12:19:35 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4088 on: February 28, 2010, 12:19:12 PM »
Like I said, I'm not doing anything with her work laptops. Those have specific programs and software that go over my head (a lot of government and security garbage), so it's not really a matter of just loading her up with Windows 7. Besides, that's what they pay her IT people for.

In the past, I have resurrected desktops though.
PSP

elektrikluv

« Reply #4089 on: February 28, 2010, 12:33:21 PM »
Just get her a macbook :smug

T234

• Canadian Legal Expert and Hillballer
« Reply #4090 on: February 28, 2010, 12:43:25 PM »
I saw them 5 years ago in a venue that not only had booze and seats, but you could smoke!  Those were the days.

Yeah, now all of the sudden you can't smoke in fucking bars over here, its pretty stupid because one of the reasons its to help the environment, but everyone just go outside to smoke which I guess is actually worse for mother nature.

Its not to help the environment :lol Its to not subject other people to your smoke in enclosed indoor spaces. When you're outside smoking, its no where near as bad as in a bar.

Everybody I work with smokes. We even burn the store's incense just because it begins to smell too much like cigarettes. I was able to laugh when he said I was getting drug tested. I got no complaints about the smoke.
UK

elektrikluv

« Reply #4091 on: February 28, 2010, 12:46:50 PM »
Its the best solution for people like his mother who just aren't savvy enough to run security checks and not install shit onto their computer.

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
« Reply #4092 on: February 28, 2010, 12:47:00 PM »
a rather beautiful woman (inadvertantly) sat next to me at the bar down the street last night, and eventually tried to talk to me.  the conversation went like this:

she: Hi.  I've been sitting close to you so I figured I should talk to you at some point.
me: Yes, in this configuration there are only two seats adjacent to yours -- I suppose you could consider the booth behind you, but it's really too far away to count -- so it makes sense that you'd eventually try to engage both neighbors, although you're of course not obligated to do so.
she: Um, right.  Anyway, so ... I think I've seen you somewhere before.  Do you live around here?  I mean, do you come here a lot ... do you come here often?
me: Yes.
she: I'm not hitting on you, though.
me: It's good that you clarified that.
QED

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4093 on: February 28, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
These are her work laptops? And she treats them like this?

The thing is, it's not like she believes she is using the computer improperly. Her belief is that it is a machine and that it is doing what it is designed to do - its failure to stay up with her fast-paced, flash game lifestyle is on the hardware, not her.

Why wont she listen to you about reputable casual sites?

Eh, she's old and stubborn. She argued with me this morning for fifteen minutes that she can load her entire MP3 library to any machine just by logging into her iTunes account and I had to tell her that it really didn't work like that.

Just get her a macbook :smug

Why would I want to turn an ignorant PC abuser to a smug and ignorant Mac-phile?
PSP

elektrikluv

« Reply #4094 on: February 28, 2010, 12:57:52 PM »
Why would I want to turn an ignorant PC abuser to a smug and ignorant Mac-phile?

Because it would be better for her and you? You wouldn't need to keep attending to her broken PCs because she wouldn't be able to bloat them up with malware and viruses. This isn't a matter of PC vs Mac, its a matter of someone as stubborn as her who refuses to do the right security and computer maintenance would probably be better off with a mac.

And no need for the stereotypes either!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4095 on: February 28, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
She'd never go to Apple at this stage in her life. Everything is about comfortability for her. She doesn't even like to use Digsby and would rather use six different messaging devices out of stubbornness! The switch from PC to Mac would probably be too much for her to bear, and I'd be burying my poor mum after just a weekend of trying to slog through such a pretentiously hip OS.

As for the stereotypes: another Mac fan in denial, what else is new?
PSP

elektrikluv

« Reply #4096 on: February 28, 2010, 01:02:45 PM »
What am I in denial about? I acknowledge the fact that PCs are better for some people whilst Macs are better suited to others.

"A pretentiously hip OS" :lol

Mandark

• Icon
M*A*S*H: Not the Movie, the Movie Based on the TV Show Based on the Movie
« Reply #4097 on: February 28, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »
comfortability

Comfort!

Sorry, but that's a pet peeve.

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #4098 on: February 28, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
Why do most of you guys feel depressed? In this forum especially i've noticed many people suffering from depression. What do you have to be depressed about? Fuck depression, I say. That shit's for pussies. Man up and take charge of your life. :punch

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4099 on: February 28, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
The only people better suited for Apple products are these folks:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

... When I want my mom to listen to Owl City and read Pitchfork RSS feeds, I'll buy her a Mac, okay?
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4100 on: February 28, 2010, 01:08:44 PM »
By the way, if you squint hard enough, I think you can see cloudwalking and jarosh in the background.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #4101 on: February 28, 2010, 01:09:06 PM »
Why do most of you guys feel depressed? In this forum especially i've noticed many people suffering from depression. What do you have to be depressed about? Fuck depression, I say. That shit's for pussies. Man up and take charge of your life. :punch

Done.

::)
[close]

elektrikluv

« Reply #4102 on: February 28, 2010, 01:11:42 PM »
Isn't Mac for gay people? So is elektrik a lesbian?

We've already established that I'm a transsexual.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4103 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
How much flannel do you own?

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4104 on: February 28, 2010, 01:12:58 PM »
If the vintage shoe fits, wear it.
PSP

elektrikluv

« Reply #4105 on: February 28, 2010, 01:13:27 PM »
None, Malek :(

And everyone's already seen my bad excuse for bangs.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4106 on: February 28, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
Wrath2X is going to buy you some decent bangs!
PSP

elektrikluv

« Reply #4107 on: February 28, 2010, 01:15:13 PM »
I'll buy you some!

Well, maybe.

Awesome, are you a rich Saudi?

I need a sugar daddy.

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #4108 on: February 28, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »
I dunno, I may just be a very positive person but I've never let depression bog me down. Whenever I felt like shit, a good book, playing music, a good friend, or even a video game always curbed those thoughts until I recovered. Try to give yourself the feeling that you're always in control and it might help.

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #4109 on: February 28, 2010, 01:16:26 PM »
I'll buy you some!

Well, maybe.

Awesome, are you a rich Saudi?

I need a sugar daddy.

He lives in a nice neighborhood. He also probably has a nice cock.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4110 on: February 28, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
What else does a girl need?
PSP

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4111 on: February 28, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »
a rather beautiful woman (inadvertantly) sat next to me at the bar down the street last night, and eventually tried to talk to me.  the conversation went like this:

she: Hi.  I've been sitting close to you so I figured I should talk to you at some point.
me: Yes, in this configuration there are only two seats adjacent to yours -- I suppose you could consider the booth behind you, but it's really too far away to count -- so it makes sense that you'd eventually try to engage both neighbors, although you're of course not obligated to do so.
she: Um, right.  Anyway, so ... I think I've seen you somewhere before.  Do you live around here?  I mean, do you come here a lot ... do you come here often?
me: Yes.
she: I'm not hitting on you, though.
me: It's good that you clarified that.

:lol

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4112 on: February 28, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
i want to be just like recursivelyenumerable when i grow up
nat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4113 on: February 28, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
In that situation, recursive should have just acted like a dick.

<Her> I'm not hitting on you, though.
<Recursive> I wouldn't really care if you were. [begins to read paper, completely ignoring her]
<Her> What?
<Recursive> Could you keep your voice down, I'm trying to read the paper.
<Her> You're a terrible person!
<Recursive> And you're five pounds overweight with the ego of a woman that's a size zero.
<Her> Fuck you!
<Recursive> Not even if you paid me. Excuse me, this is my stop. Good luck with your day job - whatever that is.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:24:57 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4114 on: February 28, 2010, 01:23:49 PM »

Done.

::)
[close]

You didn't even try.  I on the other hand, tried and totally manned up there for a bit.  But then I swiftly manned down again.  I just can't keep it up.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4115 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »
I dunno, I may just be a very positive person but I've never let depression bog me down. Whenever I felt like shit, a good book, playing music, a good friend, or even a video game always curbed those thoughts until I recovered.

::) Your advice is rather useless; one of the symptoms of clinical depression is the inability to obtain any pleasure from activities that one formerly enjoyed

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #4116 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:29 PM »
You appear to have transplanted the setting, although it did give me an idea for a combination singles bar/mass transit vehicle for busy professionals with long commutes who'd otherwise find it difficult to fit looking for love into their schedules.
QED

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4117 on: February 28, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »
Sorry, I misread that as "bus" (my mind is racing right now). Although, it does make the last line pretty funny. :lol

"Excuse me, this is my stop." /recursive runs out of bar
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:28:54 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4118 on: February 28, 2010, 01:27:52 PM »
no dude. you say that regardless of the setting. sitting in a bar telling the chick that this is your next stop? classic
nat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4119 on: February 28, 2010, 01:28:17 PM »
I want to totally try that out now. :lol
PSP

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #4120 on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:02 PM »
I dunno, I may just be a very positive person but I've never let depression bog me down. Whenever I felt like shit, a good book, playing music, a good friend, or even a video game always curbed those thoughts until I recovered.

::) Your advice is rather useless; one of the symptoms of clinical depression is the inability to obtain any pleasure from activities that one formerly enjoyed

Well that just sucks. Guess I've never been depressed then.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #4121 on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:12 PM »
Somebody needs to convey this new improved tactic to the girl from Prole's Gamestop story.
QED

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4122 on: February 28, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
no dude. you say that regardless of the setting. sitting in a bar telling the chick that this is your next stop? classic

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4123 on: February 28, 2010, 01:32:38 PM »
Somebody needs to convey this new improved tactic to the girl from Prole's Gamestop story.

:rofl

him: "i work for a local window washing company, i handle their contracts and stuff"

her: "oh, i bet that pays well!"

him: <totally lights up> "yeah, i do alright"

her: "i'm not doing much right now myself. but i'm glad i have the time off for final fantasy 13 TEE HEE"

him: <getting closer> "what's final fantasy like? is it good?"

her: <now getting a bit uncomfortable> "oh, uh, yeah, i love it."

him: "well, if you're bored, maybe we could hang out and you could show me or something"

her: "excuse me this is my stop"

him: <deflated, confused> "uh what"

her: <collects items, walks out of store>

him: "..."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 01:34:38 PM by The Fake Shemp »
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4124 on: February 28, 2010, 01:33:42 PM »
I will use this line on Cute Girl if I ever go to class again (I won't).

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4125 on: February 28, 2010, 01:34:48 PM »
then when you are walking about of the bar you flick a quarter into someones cup.
nat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4126 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
PSP

Agent Whiskers

« Reply #4127 on: February 28, 2010, 01:35:41 PM »
"This is my stop" sounds like a good ad for GameStop actually. See you when I get rich, bitches.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4128 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
Malek, what if Cute Girl and Flannel Girl talk about you behind your back? WORLDS COLLIDING!
PSP

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #4129 on: February 28, 2010, 01:39:37 PM »
Gamestop should totally change their name to "The Stop"
nat

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4130 on: February 28, 2010, 01:40:05 PM »
They are figments of Malek's imagination.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4131 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
Malek, what if Cute Girl and Flannel Girl talk about you behind your back? WORLDS COLLIDING!

They would only talk about me indirectly.

CuteGirl: I heard strange sounds coming from the bushes outside my window last night.
Flannel Girl: That's odd--I've heard strange noises coming from outside my window. When I searched the area the next morning, I found a a bottle of nyquil and some used tissues.

recursivelyenumerable

« Reply #4132 on: February 28, 2010, 01:43:53 PM »
I think we had this (that?) depression discussion with "abrader" some time ago, with TVC providing the definitive smackdown.
QED

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4133 on: February 28, 2010, 01:45:39 PM »
DEPRESSION IS ONLY A STATE OF MIND, THINK POSITIVE GUYS STOP BEING SO BITCHY
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4134 on: February 28, 2010, 01:46:04 PM »
MAN UP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4135 on: February 28, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
The only thing that makes me depressed is knowing that Cute Girl and Flannel Girl are totally making out with skeevy hipsters right now, when both belong in jars in Malek's basement.
PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4136 on: February 28, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »
Both are actually dating dudebros.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4137 on: February 28, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »
Wow, that's even worse.

Upstaged by a dudebro. :-\
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4138 on: February 28, 2010, 01:51:52 PM »
Eh, you really don't want to sleep with a chick that would date a dudebro or sleep with Wrath. You're better off.

PSP

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #4139 on: February 28, 2010, 01:53:02 PM »
As long as she hasn't been exposed to Kosma, I really don't care who she has dated.