Author Topic: Meme Machine Memorial Thread of Things You Saw on Reddit  (Read 1780951 times)

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Maybe because the directors were more hands-on back when models were used?  It doesn't seem like there's a lot a director could do with CGI beyond vizzing it and trying to motivate an actor in a golfball suit.

I'm not just talking about models, but everything. Earlier directors would use mirrors and all kinds of neat tricks to create optical illusions. Look at that trick that Craven's crew used for Nightmare. Or the fishing rod trick Ridley Scott used in Legend (as per the Film Flunkie blog post).

I mean, even outside of CG characters, using practical effects is almost taboo. What kind of crazy world are we living in?
PSP

Himu

What is interesting that guys that do know better - like Spielberg - have also thrown away practical effects for computer generated laziness. Remember the opening to the last Indy flick, with the CG prairie dogs? Really, Spielberg?

I don't know whether it's in their old age, these guys don't feel like doing the right thing anymore because it's easier to let computer monkeys do it or if they've forgotten stuff or what.

I think that's what upsets me more than someone like Zach Snyder's age using CG. I don't expect them to know better. But Spielberg? Really?

I think guys like Spielberg are just amazed by it. Like, in many of classes my professors were from the oldschool days where they'd actually manually edit with film, scissors and an assortment of accessories. They take pride in this more hands on model with film making and art in general, but they also love the convenience of modern technology. They love it.

I wouldn't be surprised if filmmakers like Spielberg, like Lucas, are just absolutely entranced by this (fairly) recent technology that has taken over Hollywood. They should probably know better, but the temptation is too high and they find it too fascinating to ignore.

At least, that's my thoughts on it, after seeing how my professors act towards new technology.
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier

This just illustrates my point, though. Ugh. :-\

... I didn't even screencap the part where he comes down through the side of the wall. It's awful. The physics of it all is all completely off, like the wall is made of sand or something. I hate it.
PSP

Himu

The original is so so so amazing.

Tell me what they did with the part where Johnny Depp's pool of blood blazes towards the ceiling. That's my favorite part and I wonder how they fucked it up. :lol
IYKYK

Herr Mafflard

And also Legend is a good film. Well, it's okay. Sigh, well it was okay back then  :'(  

That Film Flunkie blog post made me buy its dvd again through amazon

I'm so weak  :(

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
The original is so so so amazing.

Tell me what they did with the part where Johnny Depp's pool of blood blazes towards the ceiling. That's my favorite part and I wonder how they fucked it up. :lol

I just screencapped from the trailer - I don't have a screener or anything, yet. In fact, I might actually pay to go see it if it's rated-R, but that's where I draw the line.
PSP

Himu

It's not out yet? I'm so indifferent towards that movie I'm not even paying attention to its release schedule :lol
IYKYK

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
It's out next month. Still no rating, and lots of rumors that it'll be PG-13. :yuck

I'm pretty turned off by the abundant CG, but I got to say, I've love what I have seen from Jackie Earle Haley thus far.
PSP

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
Maybe because the directors were more hands-on back when models were used?  It doesn't seem like there's a lot a director could do with CGI beyond vizzing it and trying to motivate an actor in a golfball suit.
I'm not just talking about models, but everything. Earlier directors would use mirrors and all kinds of neat tricks to create optical illusions. Look at that trick that Craven's crew used for Nightmare. Or the fishing rod trick Ridley Scott used in Legend (as per the Film Flunkie blog post).
I mean, even outside of CG characters, using practical effects is almost taboo. What kind of crazy world are we living in?
It might not even be in their control.  Working with real physical  materials can have a lot of unforeseen problems as far as keeping a continuous shot and making the sfx quality consistent.  Probably the best way to keep up the illusion is with a hybrid (eg: Children of Men) of real world and CGI.  To go entirely with "unnecessary" CGI is probably beneficial for the director in that it takes them less time to do it and it needs less micromanagement, I'm guessing.

Himu

I may see it anyways, I don't give a fuck.
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
AMC

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
It's out next month. Still no rating, and lots of rumors that it'll be PG-13. :yuck

I'm pretty turned off by the abundant CG, but I got to say, I've love what I have seen from Jackie Earle Haley thus far.

If PG-13, nuke from orbit. A proper blood-flood alone should be worth an R rating.
©@©™

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
It might not even be in their control.  Working with real physical  materials can have a lot of unforeseen problems as far as keeping a continuous shot and making the sfx quality consistent.

Bull. You might find this difficult to believe, but the films were using practical effects prior to CG - for decades! And we're not talking about set design; I think everyone is in favor of green screen instead of matte paintings or low-budget sound stages. Most of the optical illusions and effects we are talking about in this very thread didn't involve toxic chemicals or took a lot time to setup or execute.

It's simply a matter of that filmmakers have no sense of creative problem solving thanks to post-production tools, and that most didn't learn the "tricks of the trade" via an apprenticeship - those don't really exist anymore. I mean, where is the Roger Corman of today?

Probably the best way to keep up the illusion is with a hybrid (eg: Children of Men) of real world and CGI.  To go entirely with "unnecessary" CGI is probably beneficial for the director in that it takes them less time to do it and it needs less micromanagement, I'm guessing.

I don't think anyone is for abolishing CG workstations, but if they're not needed - they shouldn't be used. This is Christopher Nolan's philosophy, and it's worked well for him, I think! Also, the micromanaging is the producer's job, not the director's. And a producer's job IS to micromanage, so that shouldn't even be an issue.
PSP

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Also, I just wanted to dissect this shot again:

Look, even discounting the practical versus digital argument (and that the new effect looks like garbage), just look at how the original shot is framed versus the remake. Yes, you can make the case that the overhead shot is technically more ambitious, but which shot arguably has better lighting and works better to evoke a sense of fear or dread from the audience?

Assuming that both are static shots, I think you have to say the original by a country mile.
PSP

Herr Mafflard

I didn't even realise the second shot was supposed to be Freddie's cast looming over the person until I compared the two shots.

I couldn't make it out, it looks like a bunch of sand dicks protruding from the wall. That's not scary. Sexy, maybe. But not scary.

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
probably their best one yet :lol
duc

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Hey, I eat Kashi bars!
PSP

Raban

• The baby...
Saw this on NG and thought the numerous Breaking Bad fans here would enjoy it.

Super Breaking Bad 2 Turbo!

SRY

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I don't think anyone is for abolishing CG workstations, but if they're not needed - they shouldn't be used. This is Christopher Nolan's philosophy, and it's worked well for him, I think!

That's Ridley Scott's basic philosophy as well. If you can do it with practical effects, then do it with practical effects. I think he credited the philosophy to something Douglas Trumbull told him.
dog

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Not as big as Ridley Scott but Darren Aronofsky seems to be working under that philosophy (maybe a little bit to ruin) but still.
:9

drew

• sy
I just don't get it. HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE ANIMALS. Do you have to be like, the least happy person on Earth?

it basically boils down to people trying to be oh so urban, so much so that it hurts (literally, because they are wearing womens jeans)

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I don't think anyone is for abolishing CG workstations, but if they're not needed - they shouldn't be used. This is Christopher Nolan's philosophy, and it's worked well for him, I think!

That's Ridley Scott's basic philosophy as well. If you can do it with practical effects, then do it with practical effects. I think he credited the philosophy to something Douglas Trumbull told him.

Douglas Trumbull is awesome. His work on 2001 and Blade Runner was money.
©@©™

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
Drunk

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20440112&postcount=160

I give Cameron free pass for making loud mouth comments. I also give Woody Allen free pass to fuck little girl because the movies he made in the 90s. (Don't bother to argue with me, I am not going to change my mind.)

A poster on the internet literally adheres to most common joke example of Artistic Offsets Principle.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

Douglas Trumbull is awesome. His work on 2001 and Blade Runner was money.

Silent Running :rock
Star Trek: The Motion Picture :rock
Close Encounters :rock

It's a shame he hasn't done anything of note in ages.
dog

etiolate

glen beck's response :lol

Well, this afternoon Beck bit back. “The following segment is a Fox television first — it’s Fox News 3-D,” he said, whipping on a pair of cardboard 3-D glasses. “Yes, James, I am guilty. I did call James Cameron the anti-Christ. But only because of the Celine Dion song. Horrific. Really. But the best part is, this guy has carried this joke around for three long years. This guy is making a billion dollars on a Smurf-murdering movie and he’s stewing about a joke that nobody heard on a network nobody watched! It’s time to walk away from the CGI, Jim. Just for a minute. I don’t think he’s just upset with me, though. He’s also upset with you too,” Beck went on, nodding into the camera, at his show’s viewers. “Because you’re a global warming denier.”

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
I'm of the belief that cg will one day get good enough to not look out of place.  And when we get there no person with better things to think about is going to mourn the loss of creative problem solving in cinematography.  Leave that to hobbyists who aren't try to make a profit.
sad

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
We'll also have virtual reality and flying cars one day too. Thanks for your input. ::)
PSP

Himu

I'm of the belief that cg will one day get good enough to not look out of place.  And when we get there no person with better things to think about is going to mourn the loss of creative problem solving in cinematography.  Leave that to hobbyists who aren't try to make a profit.

lol
IYKYK

Himu

glen beck's response :lol

Well, this afternoon Beck bit back. “The following segment is a Fox television first — it’s Fox News 3-D,” he said, whipping on a pair of cardboard 3-D glasses. “Yes, James, I am guilty. I did call James Cameron the anti-Christ. But only because of the Celine Dion song. Horrific. Really. But the best part is, this guy has carried this joke around for three long years. This guy is making a billion dollars on a Smurf-murdering movie and he’s stewing about a joke that nobody heard on a network nobody watched! It’s time to walk away from the CGI, Jim. Just for a minute. I don’t think he’s just upset with me, though. He’s also upset with you too,” Beck went on, nodding into the camera, at his show’s viewers. “Because you’re a global warming denier.”

:rofl
IYKYK

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
Would you still hit it, Ichirou? You know Carson Daly and Jamie Kennedy wrecked that shit.
PSP

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Would you still hit it, Ichirou? You know Carson Daly and Jamie Kennedy wrecked that shit.

And she just got dumped by Kennedy, which means she's getting desperate, which means my chances have gone up. :rock

I would definitely wreck it.
PS4

EmCeeGrammar

• Casted Flamebait lvl. 3
We'll also have virtual reality and flying cars one day too. Thanks for your input. ::)

Flying cars no, that's not practical. Virtual reality and competent cgi, sure its not unthinkable.
sad

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

She does look pretty busted now. No thanks.
©@©™

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas

She does look pretty busted now. No thanks.

She's still hot mayne.
PS4

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
WWTDD totally turned me off to her

On the flip, Rachael Leigh Cook on Psych and recently appearing on The Soup cements my love for her

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
Rachael Leigh Cook has a fivehead, tho.  She's also been married for a long time.  Meanwhile, JLH is single and desperate.
PS4

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
I bet it looks like roast beef down there. Jamie Kennedy is not a gentle lover.
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Rachael Leigh Cook has a fivehead, tho.  She's also been married for a long time.  Meanwhile, JLH is single and desperate.

I think I have a thing for fiveheads. Rachael Leigh Cook, Camilla Belle... umm, I'm sure there are others.

DJ_Tet

Does JLH talk about all the times she cheated on her bfs?  If so I'd buy that book and read it.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and drop massive loads
[close]
TIT

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
BlueTsunami had a crush on Waychel :o
PSP

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Oh God, I think that may have been too much crainage, even for me.

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
I bet it looks like roast beef down there. Jamie Kennedy is not a gentle lover.

You sound as though you speak from personal experience. ;)
PS4

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
JLH's horsey face never did much for me but her body has always made me  :o

Even though she's let herself go a little, I'd still smash it.  She would be put on the Insanity workout program though. 

Ichirou

• Merry Christmas
My insanity workout program all takes place in the bedroom. :drool
PS4

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
Everything that is wrong with stupid pc gamers in a single post

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20446529&postcount=414

Get out of the house distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
huh? what part of those requests aren't good things? Especially the first. Not being able to toggle on specific graphical options in Metro 2033 is distinguished mentally-challenged.
nat

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
DennisK4 is a bit of a loon tho.

Can't search since Evilore is a cheap-skate, but I remember he said all games should be open world and have an "immersive" (read: ketchup in your face) HUD.

WrikaWrek

• Let your soul glow
huh? what part of those requests aren't good things? Especially the first. Not being able to toggle on specific graphical options in Metro 2033 is distinguished mentally-challenged.

The point is, the dev is there talking, and the wishes of this distinguished mentally-challenged fellow are all about some stupid ass bullshit like having options to cripple the graphics card etc etc

Every "wish" of his, is basically related to benchmark.

I mean seriously. How is that important? The guy is a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20440112&postcount=160

I give Cameron free pass for making loud mouth comments. I also give Woody Allen free pass to fuck little girl because the movies he made in the 90s. (Don't bother to argue with me, I am not going to change my mind.)

A poster on the internet literally adheres to most common joke example of Artistic Offsets Principle.

the movies he made in the NINETIES?

the movies he made in the 70s allow him to gang rape everything you hold dear

the movies he made in the 90s allow him close his eyes when you piss on his face.
Tonya

archie4208

The point is, the dev is there talking, and the wishes of this distinguished mentally-challenged fellow are all about some stupid ass bullshit like having options to cripple the graphics card etc etc

Every "wish" of his, is basically related to benchmark.

I mean seriously. How is that important? The guy is a distinguished mentally-challenged fellow.

How is that any different from your random forum poster analyzing hair in FF13 and declaring that the PS3 is superior because it has an extra 50 pixels?

cool breeze

cuz you can't download a patch to see pole titties in ff13.  gotta have those 16xAA 16xAF HBAO SSAO CUDA PHYSX POINT SPECULAR BOKEH DYNAMIC SHADOWS nipples, bro

and yeah, every PC game should let you drop individual effects.  I wish some console games would you let you do this stuff as well.  The closest you see is v-sync in Bioshock and Saints Row.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
[youtube=560,345]BVrXHOmM56s[/youtube]
©ZH

Robo

obo

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
[youtube=560,345]q31XdlsC4D4[/youtube]
WDW

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
:lol how do you favorite youtube vids now?

Beezy