Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 805147 times)

Himu

Re: FitnessBore - 2017 edition
« Reply #7320 on: July 20, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »
I don't think I'll be quitting any time soon. Love it too much for that. I switched schools btw. My coach is a 2x Pan Am winner and the most patient guy ever and has the most eloquent manner of teaching tech. It's like starting Jiu Jitsu all over again and it's been a blast. Until May when personal stuff started creeping in that is.  :-\
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7321 on: July 20, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
Training went well today.  :) A partner put his hands on my boobs though. Like I said, accidents/things/shit happen. Unless it was on purpose don't worry about it.
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7322 on: July 21, 2017, 09:36:59 AM »

Cut! Cut! Cut!
MMA

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7323 on: July 21, 2017, 09:42:10 AM »
fuck how do you do that and not feel like shit all the time

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7324 on: July 21, 2017, 11:37:14 PM »
fuck how do you do that and not feel like shit all the time

You're going to hate me for my answer, but I really find it quite "easy".  :lol

My diet is "disciplined", but that doesn't mean that I'm not eating a fair amount, or that I find myself with hunger pangs very much throughout the week.   Here is my daily diet these days

Breakfast: One whole egg + the equivalent of 3 or 4 egg whites + a banana (sometimes I put off the banana until after morning workout)
Coffee around 9, really suppresses the hunger before lunch for me.
Lunch: Chicken breast or pork tenderloin sandwich, a fair-sized container of greek yogurt, protein bar
Dinner: bigass portion of green veggies (broccoli, asparagus, spinach, or green beans), bigass portion of meat, glass of 3% milk, and then shortly after two pieces toast with extra creamy peanut butter.
I also drink a LOT of water throughout the day.

On weekends, I do a brunch where I go all-out on eggs, egg whites, bacon, and peanut butter and toast, usually skip lunch, and a big dinner, similar to the above dinner during the week, but maybe a little more.

Here is why I think I can have that steady decline, while eating a decent amount, and be "not feeling like shit all the time":

1)  My activity level.    I just can't do BJJ 2-3 times a week, hockey once a week, and then whatever else for strength training in between, and not see the scale keep going down, almost regardless of what I eat.   Before joining my new club last December, I had really only had  BJJ in my routine 1 day a week.  Bumping that up to 2-3 times a week at my new club, especially in the summer, when rolling in the gi in our southern Ontario humidity, and I just shed pounds over the course of an hour and a half.  This is the part that I acknowledge others probably can't quite incorporate themselves, necessarily.

2) Not eating out.  For me, it almost doesn't matter what I'm eating or ordering,  making my own food at home >>>>> eating at restaurants/takeout/delivery when it comes to weight, period.  The longer and more often I can go without eating out, whether for lunch or dinner, the easier my weight drops.  I make my own lunches all but maybe two workdays a month.

3) Forcing good habits.   I don't crave snacking/the binge on bad foods much at all these days, as much as I also looooove shitty snack foods too.  A few years ago, my weekly routine after a long week at work on a Friday evening included a lot of drinking, and ordering a large meatlovers pizza that I would down completely, to the point that I was on a first-name basis with my favourite pizza place.  And then Saturday would also involve a lot of going overboard on food.  So it didn't matter how disciplined I was Mon-Fri, because the binge on Friday-Saturday would bump the weight right back up to where it was on Monday again.  But cut out that "binge" habit, as tough as it is to start, really does become a habit after a while, and becomes a snowball effect on your weight, when you don't have that 1-2 days a week that spikes your weight again.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:59:36 AM by Boogie »
MMA

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7325 on: July 22, 2017, 08:09:43 AM »

Oblivion

« Reply #7326 on: July 23, 2017, 10:37:58 PM »
So after about a month or so after the new doctor prescribed me a new recovery regimen, she told me I can start going back to my regular workout routine, albeit starting off with low weights. Today was the first time in about two months that I attempted a bench press again. Last time I tried it, I had trouble doing five reps with just the bar. Today I decided I was going to start with the bar, but increase my reps, and I was able to do 3 sets of 15 reps with no pain whatsoever!  :o

That's a good sign, right?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7327 on: July 24, 2017, 10:55:56 PM »
There is a new outdoor body weight fitness thing in the park across the river from me, so the last few nights I have been jogging there, doing a small bit of work out and walking home.  The bars there are thicker than my set up at home and I can't even do a full set of pull ups or dips there :(

I did see wild bunnies in the park though tonight.  That was cool.   

Himu

« Reply #7328 on: July 28, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
Boogie I need your thoughts.

Might be :nsfw

So I'm still on my way to achieving my body goal. But I'm way closer than when I started!

My body goal is this (the one on the right):

https://instagram.com/p/BVz0CcoHE_D/

With hormones replacement therapy I grow muscle like a cis woman does, and especially in the lower body. But I might be getting an orchisectomy (spoiler tag for people who don't wanna know) :NSFW
spoiler (click to show/hide)
removal of testicles
[close]
Now under current circumstances I produce the amount of testosterone a cis woman does. T helps build and create new muscles. After this I won't produce any T. Can I still achieve my body goal? :(
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7329 on: July 28, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
http://www.ergo-log.com/building-muscles-without-testosterone.html

Might not mean much as I'm already on anti-androgen.
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #7330 on: July 31, 2017, 07:43:38 AM »
So I learned something interesting at my last stint at the gym yesterday.

When I went back to bench, it turns out I started hurting again a little bit, even with just the bar. Of course, I got depressed and figured it was cause my stupid injury flared up again. But it appears that one of the reasons it was hurting was that I was moving my elbows in too far backwards. In other words, it turns out my form was sloppy. Once I accounted for and corrected for this, I discovered that I can actually go heavy without any pain whatsoever.  :o :rock

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7331 on: July 31, 2017, 07:55:59 AM »

When I went back to bench, it turns out I started hurting again a little bit, even with just the bar. Of course, I got depressed and figured it was cause my stupid injury flared up again. But it appears that one of the reasons it was hurting was that I was moving my elbows in too far backwards. In other words, it turns out my form was sloppy. Once I accounted for and corrected for this, I discovered that I can actually go heavy without any pain whatsoever.  :o :rock
Do you mean you were flare your elbows out too far?  That's a pretty common mistake.  Your arms should be making a narrow V to properly engage your triceps and chest rather than your front delts.  If you were having this issue you should also check your handle placement on the bar.  It's likely too wide.

Oblivion

« Reply #7332 on: July 31, 2017, 08:12:33 AM »

Do you mean you were flare your elbows out too far?  That's a pretty common mistake.  Your arms should be making a narrow V to properly engage your triceps and chest rather than your front delts.  If you were having this issue you should also check your handle placement on the bar.  It's likely too wide.

Yeah, they were flared too far out. It's been a while since I restarted this so I guess my form was a bit sloppy.

Oblivion

« Reply #7333 on: August 02, 2017, 07:57:43 AM »
Goddamn it. I don't know what the hell happened, but I regressed pretty badly today. I couldn't make it through even 5 reps of just the bar on my bench press. But the most annoying part is I have no idea why the hell that's the case. My last workout (as mentioned in this thread) went fantastic, and I didn't feel any adverse effects either immediately after, or at any point all the way up until today.  And unlike before, the pain that I had was not on the inside of my elbow but on the outside. Wtf?  :-\

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7334 on: August 02, 2017, 08:03:11 AM »
That sucks, man.  No advice but I hope you heal up 100% :(

Himu

« Reply #7335 on: August 02, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
My suggestion would be to read starting strength and possibly start going to a starting strength gym so you can have proper form taught.
IYKYK

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7336 on: August 02, 2017, 09:37:38 AM »
After you're medically squared away. I don't care how bad your form is. Pain with an empty bar is pretty bad and should be sorted out with a doc first - possibly physical therapy. We aren't suited to give you more advice than that honestly

Himu

« Reply #7337 on: August 02, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
Yeah, that goes without saying.
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #7338 on: August 03, 2017, 01:15:59 AM »
So I had some free time today, so I decided to go back to the gym because I was curious about something.

A little context: So my elbow injury seems to actually be made up of two issues. One is a triceps tendonopathy issue which has pain around the outer elbow, and then there's golfer's elbow, which effects the inner elbow. For the past month or so since I saw the doctor, I've been focused on the outer elbow issue primarily because the exercises and stretches the doctor gave me for the inner elbow issues couldn't be started until I dealt with the other one first (because I needed to have my arm to be able to straighten to do the inner elbow work, but I couldn't cause of the pain resulting from the outer elbow issue).

Following me so far? Good! So like I said, for the past month or so I've been focused on the outer elbow stuff, and up until yesterday, I thought that was no longer a problem, so I started focusing on the inner elbow stuff exclusively now. So I hadn't done any of my outer elbow stretches since like Sunday. Now I got to thinking, what if the problems I had yesterday was because I was neglecting those stretches?

So I decided to experiment and do those stretches yesterday and today right before I went to the gym. Guess what? Last time (meaning the last time I had a PROPER workout) I was able to do 3x5 at 65 lbs. Today, I did 3x8 at the same weight with no problem whatsoever. At least as far as the bench goes, the x-factor seems to be just stretching the proper area. It's a little weird cause I wouldn't think I would have an issue if I stopped stretching for a mere 3 or 4 days after doing so for more than a month straight, but I don't know what to say.  I'll keep updating over the next few workout days and see if this continues to work. Whatever it is, at least it's working for now. :)

Thoughts?

« Reply #7339 on: August 03, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »
You discovered stretching. I'm going to save you from a painful lesson and also remind you to drink water.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7340 on: August 03, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
You discovered stretching. I'm going to save you from a painful lesson and also remind you to drink water.

oh shit dude good call
püp

Oblivion

« Reply #7341 on: August 03, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »

But the thing is, I've been lifting (well, on and off..) for over 3 years now. I never had to deal with stretching issues before.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7342 on: August 03, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
You're just getting older and the injury probably made it even more necessary.

Oblivion

« Reply #7343 on: August 03, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7344 on: August 05, 2017, 03:34:09 PM »
Boogie I need your thoughts.

Might be :nsfw

So I'm still on my way to achieving my body goal. But I'm way closer than when I started!

My body goal is this (the one on the right):

https://instagram.com/p/BVz0CcoHE_D/

With hormones replacement therapy I grow muscle like a cis woman does, and especially in the lower body. But I might be getting an orchisectomy (spoiler tag for people who don't wanna know) :NSFW
spoiler (click to show/hide)
removal of testicles
[close]
Now under current circumstances I produce the amount of testosterone a cis woman does. T helps build and create new muscles. After this I won't produce any T. Can I still achieve my body goal? :(

Queen, I haven't meant to ignore this post, it's just that I really have no idea about that sort of thing. 

I don't have that sort of "science-y" knowledge, so if I were to try and answer, I'd just be pulling an answer out of my ass and/or google.
MMA

Himu

« Reply #7345 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »
I've tried googling and can't find shit. I asked on r/fitness the other week and they made fun of me saying stuff like "get muscle you want before losing your balls, freak";etc
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #7346 on: August 06, 2017, 02:29:25 AM »
Went to the gym once again, and made sure to stretch before.

Bench: 3x8 at 70 lbs.

That's the highest weight and reps I've done since December, when I first got my injury. :rock

I have no idea of the science behind this, but fuck it. If stretching works, it works.

Himu

« Reply #7347 on: August 06, 2017, 02:34:15 AM »
I also warm up by jogging for five minutes or so before lifting.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7348 on: August 06, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
Switched to a new protein powder: Nutiva Hemp 15g protein!

My recipe:

1 cup cannellini beans
2 cup pineapple
1 Apple
1 tbsp flaxseeds
2 cups of unsweetened soy milk
3 tbsp of Hemp protein

Pretty good! I'll also be adding blueberries and strawberries on alternate days! I'm sure it'll taste delicious!

Building those curves!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7349 on: August 06, 2017, 06:37:39 PM »
I suck at closed guard. Prefer open. Pistol grip.
IYKYK

« Reply #7350 on: August 07, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »
Queen, tbh no one knows what your body can do. You just gotta find out. Keep that goal in mind and don't be surprised if your goal changes as your journey continues.

Himu

« Reply #7351 on: August 07, 2017, 06:06:54 PM »
Well, I've had a lot of good results doing Starting Strength program the past year plus. My quads, thighs, and glutes really like the weights.

Apparently getting an orchi will still allow me to achieve my goals and getting one doesn't stop all T creation and that the T made from the adrenal gland is enough to build muscle. Yippy!

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7352 on: August 07, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »
Be careful with your hands. Certain grips can fuck em up and you won't be able to play guitar well ever again. Which is why I use pistol grip.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7353 on: August 07, 2017, 11:53:57 PM »
https://instagram.com/p/BXf3HrgAFzs/

Holy shit this looks dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:09:44 AM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7354 on: August 08, 2017, 12:34:36 AM »
https://instagram.com/p/BXgyN0pjH0T/

Body goals! Can't wait to have the courage to show my gains itt
IYKYK

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7355 on: August 08, 2017, 09:51:05 PM »
Pistol grip?!  :yuck

Of course, that's easy for me to say.  I seem to have been blessed with fingers of steel.  At my current club, like 2/3rds of the guys are taping up their fingers before every class and I'm just like "huh.  That's quaint, I've never felt the need for that."  :lol
MMA

Himu

« Reply #7356 on: August 08, 2017, 10:40:39 PM »
My current mindset, I'd rather lose a grip fight than fuck my hands. As an artist, it is my life blood and I'm fucked if I can't hold a pen/pencil.

Good Chewie vid on it:

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #7357 on: August 08, 2017, 10:54:23 PM »
BOOGIE!

You mad, bro?!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:23:58 PM by Queen of Ice »
IYKYK

Oblivion

« Reply #7358 on: August 09, 2017, 10:50:57 PM »
Bench was 75 lbs. at 3x8 at the latest gym session with no pain so far. :rock

Oblivion

« Reply #7359 on: August 09, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
Also, do barbell squats build your abs?

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #7360 on: August 09, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »
almost anything builds your abs if you need to steady yourself. 

Himu

« Reply #7361 on: August 10, 2017, 04:52:58 PM »
Made a breakthrough in my butterfly guard today. Just a good class in general. Rolled with another white belt and neither of us could make each other tap. I almost caught him with an Americana but he reversed my mount. I was sweating buckets after class. Three intense rolls. I ate like a savage after class. Got me eating Saiyan style.

IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7362 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56:32 PM »
Lost 10 pounds in the last month!
püp

Oblivion

« Reply #7363 on: August 11, 2017, 06:46:13 PM »
85 lbs. 3x8 on the bench today! :rock :rock :rock

This was also the first time where I actually got quite fatigued after a set. And it feels GREAT.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 05:29:21 AM by Oblivion »

Oblivion

« Reply #7364 on: August 20, 2017, 11:33:23 PM »
90 lbs. 3x9 on my bench today. :rock

I didn't think I could do it, took all my effort, but  I did it. :rock :rock

Oblivion

« Reply #7365 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:58 AM »
I'd like to get back into boxing if and when this stupid elbow issue of mine eventually heals. Miss doing that.

Oblivion

« Reply #7366 on: August 26, 2017, 02:00:43 AM »
UGH.

Gym is closed for maintenance for a whole WEEK.  :maf

Ah, well. I've heard that it's okay to have a deload week once in a while, so I guess I'll do that.  :yeshrug

Oblivion

« Reply #7367 on: August 26, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »
Btw, what's a good ab workout?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7368 on: August 27, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
Btw, what's a good ab workout?

Deadlifts, squats, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu.  :P
MMA

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #7369 on: August 31, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
Boogie is right, but when I'm in the mood to target abs, I love cable pulldowns. You can really dig in and focus on your midsection.

You can go heavy, you can go light (with high reps). You can angle your hips so you target the abductors instead.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7370 on: September 03, 2017, 04:48:46 AM »

Oblivion

« Reply #7371 on: September 06, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
Today was somewhat of a milestone.

I decided to start doing both overhead presses and deadlifts again. The latter in particular I was scared of doing so soon because I still can't fully stretch my arm all the way at all times. But it was feeling good for the past few days so I decided to give it a shot (low weights of course).

OHP: 85 lbs. 3x5
Deadlifts: 95 lbs. 3x5

I'm particularly happy about the OHP because that's the first arm based exercise I've done where I've gone really heavy (I'm 20 lbs. away from my maximum. For comparison, my bench, is currently 45 lbs. below my maximum).

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7372 on: September 30, 2017, 07:48:40 PM »
6 weeks ago, I weighed 188lbs. 

Then I went on a 3 week road trip vacation, restaurant meals throughout.  Then I was home for four days.  Then I was off to instruct on a course for two weeks, put up in a conference facility of high-quality buffet meals.

Step on the scale today, 198lbs.  :o

...which leads into the subject of this post.  Do I continue my two-year tradition of a fall bulk?  (FitnessBore collectively shouts "YES")

I am thinking I will, but it won't be as dramatic or "full bulk" as the past two years, I think for three reasons.  1) Law of diminishing returns, I think there's only so much potential for strength gains in a three month span at this point in my training.  2) My activity level has increased outside of lifting.  BJJ 2-3 times a week instead of once, still have the hockey going on.  3)  Wardrobe limitations.  Seriously, my pants start to get tight past 195lbs, 200lbs is uncomfortable, and 205lbs is the danger zone for buttons popping.  I don't want to have to buy an entirely new wardrobe for bulking season!  :lol

If I do focus on strength this fall, it will be a low-volume program.  Almost entirely 3 rep sets in an effort to save my body from being too sore and sapped of energy for BJJ and hockey.  We'll see how that goes.  The goal will be 550lbs deadlift, 450lbs squat, and not-quite-sure on bench.  Tweaked my shoulder a bit again, so progress will be slow on that front.

Anyhow, this week to see where I was at, was able to hit 365x3 on squats, and 445x3 on DL:

MMA

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7373 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:24 PM »
Bulk you magnificent fucking beast

Oblivion

« Reply #7374 on: September 30, 2017, 10:57:06 PM »
Boogie, I just want you to know that I hate your glorious calves.  :'(

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #7375 on: September 30, 2017, 11:11:39 PM »
Boogie, I just want you to know that I hate your glorious calves.  :'(

My one feature that must be truly genetic.  Somehow I was rocking monstrous calves a decade and a half ago when all I was doing was karate and bodyweight exercises.  :yeshrug
MMA

Oblivion

« Reply #7376 on: October 11, 2017, 06:45:43 AM »
So another good workout day, thankfully.

My only problem is that I'm starting to feel some  annoying stress in my wrists while I'm lifting. Is there anything I can use to stabilize it?

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #7377 on: October 11, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »

My only problem is that I'm starting to feel some  annoying stress in my wrists while I'm lifting. Is there anything I can use to stabilize it?
Which lifts?  I'd check bar placement in the hand.  On press lifts make sure you're not letting the bar roll back towards the fingers.

Oblivion

« Reply #7378 on: October 14, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »

Which lifts?  I'd check bar placement in the hand.  On press lifts make sure you're not letting the bar roll back towards the fingers.

It's when I do hammer curls, regular dumb bell curls, and more recently as of today, deadlifting.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #7379 on: October 24, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
Just knocked off an hour on the stationary bike at mid, first time in months I have done a semi serious workout. (I've let myself go :(). I took a bit of a bump and the cut got infected so I pussed out while on antibiotics and just kinda fell into a slob lifestyle the last few months. Ironically sitting on my now fat ass reading a comic got me worked up to do some physical. Hopefully I can start making this a 4 - 5 times a week thing again going forward.