Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817082 times)

Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #1920 on: January 30, 2011, 01:08:43 AM »
Even so. I wouldn't eat that stuff with a gun to my head.

That's your problem.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #1921 on: January 30, 2011, 01:12:23 AM »

That's your problem.

bla bla blah I'm so awesome blah blah

hooray for you.

Truly, you are a god among men.  An adonis for the 21st century.  :bow :bow2 :bow :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow :bow2 :bow :bow2

If only that meant something other than in your own mind.
MMA

« Reply #1922 on: January 30, 2011, 01:14:49 AM »

That's your problem.

bla bla blah I'm so awesome blah blah

hooray for you.

Truly, you are a god among men.  An adonis for the 21st century.  :bow :bow2 :bow :bow2 :bow2 :bow2 :bow :bow2 :bow :bow2

If only that meant something other than in your own mind.

I hope you're a female, because you sure act like one.

duckman2000

• A lot of shit pisses me off
« Reply #1923 on: January 30, 2011, 05:28:07 AM »
People overdo warm-ups because they want to put off the hard lift as long as possible, which is basic human nature.

I don't get that, I get annoyed during the warm up because I want to get to the heavy lift. Anything before and after is just filler. I don't think I've ever really done warm up lifts either, just the regular calisthenics.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1924 on: January 30, 2011, 05:38:16 AM »
People overdo warm-ups because they want to put off the hard lift as long as possible, which is basic human nature.

I don't get that, I get annoyed during the warm up because I want to get to the heavy lift. Anything before and after is just filler. I don't think I've ever really done warm up lifts either, just the regular calisthenics.

*dap*
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1925 on: January 30, 2011, 10:24:31 AM »
i agree with cormac.  way too many warm up reps.  you don't have to even go straight to 80% but the leaps should be bigger with less reps.

« Reply #1926 on: January 30, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »

*dap*

I don't understand how you can reference Rippetoe on a number of occasions but arbitrarily decide to be dismissive about the warm-up sets about which he's emphatic. In the very page I captured and posted, he pointed out their importance, for performance and safety reasons. In both the Starting Strength and the Programming Strength books, the point of warm-up sets is raised on a number of pages and sections.

If you're going to keep bringing up Rippetoe, which you've done on a number of occasions in this thread, you should stop selectively cropping out certain principles of his while preaching others on the basis of personal convenience. Either follow his lessons in their entirety or quit advertising his name altogether to inappropriately justify your "unique" training method. By doing that, you're shitting on the man, but more importantly, you're going to get people hurt.

I nearly choked when you told me to go from the bar to my 80%. I mean, who does that? Show me examples, reputable articles, or even an excerpt from Rippetoe himself that would support that insane suggestion.

duckman2000

« Reply #1927 on: January 30, 2011, 11:40:48 AM »
As long as I'm warmed up, I don't see much reason to mess around too much with lighter lifts. To each their own I suppose, but I really don't get how you can be so bloody surprised that you would have problems with the heavier lifts when that is your warm up session. They are problematic because by the time you hit them, you're burned out. And when that is pointed out, you act(?) surprised and seem damned near offended by it.

« Reply #1928 on: January 30, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »
As long as I'm warmed up, I don't see much reason to mess around too much with lighter lifts. To each their own I suppose, but I really don't get how you can be so bloody surprised that you would have problems with the heavier lifts when that is your warm up session. They are problematic because by the time you hit them, you're burned out. And when that is pointed out, you act(?) surprised and seem damned near offended by it.

I'm not offended by the suggestion that I might be doing too many warm-ups. In fact, a few posts ago, I openly accepted it as the likely reason behind my one-max-rep failure and have decided to perform 3-5 warm up sets in the future as opposed to 7-8. What I am offended - more surprised, really - is the dismissive attitude towards warm-up sets altogether.

Stretching, biking, or flailing your arms about for 15 minutes do not constitute as proper warm ups for the purpose of strength developing or even body building. It should go like this:

Stretch (few minutes) > Warm up sets > Work sets
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:55:29 AM by Nintendosbooger »

duckman2000

« Reply #1929 on: January 30, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
Stretching, biking, or flailing your arms about for 15 minutes do not constitute as proper warm ups for the purpose of strength developing or even body building.

I wouldn't count squats, push-ups or pull-ups as "flailing your arms about for 15 minutes" but hey. There sure as hell isn't anything "light" about pulling 200lbs+ against gravity many times in a row. I'm well and primed for heavy lifts after that, without being physically burned out.

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #1930 on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:29 PM »
Stretching should come after some light cardio or lifting.  You can do serious damage by over stretching cold muscles. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1931 on: January 30, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
Stretching should come after some light cardio or lifting.  You can do serious damage by over stretching cold muscles. 

Ironically, it makes you weaker in the short term too, since a stretched muscle is obviously going to be harder to contract than a non-stretched one. Never stretch before heavy lifting. Calistenics and range-of-motion drills, sure. But not actual stretches.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1932 on: January 30, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »

I'm not offended by the suggestion that I might be doing too many warm-ups. In fact, a few posts ago, I openly accepted it as the likely reason behind my one-max-rep failure and have decided to perform 3-5 warm up sets in the future as opposed to 7-8. What I am offended - more surprised, really - is the dismissive attitude towards warm-up sets altogether.

Stretching, biking, or flailing your arms about for 15 minutes do not constitute as proper warm ups for the purpose of strength developing or even body building. It should go like this:

ok, give me the physiological reasons why you need to do all those warm-ups then, if you've already got the joints limber and the cartilage softened from calisthenics, and already have your technique down and have extensive experience with heavy loads (i.e. you know what 80% feels like because you've lifted it many times before). There really isn't one. Less experienced trainees need the practice, because their form will look different on damn near every lift as the weight goes up. The more experienced the trainee, the less deviation there will be in their form as the weight increases, so less need for a longer warm-up. As I noted, I'm on the more experienced end, so I do less.

Now, the flipside to this is that very often 'more experienced' means 'older', and obviously the older you get in terms of training years, the more warming-up you should be doing generally. But there again, the experienced trainee knows their body, and knows when they're warmed up. If I'm feeling good after my bodyweight warm-up (which, no bragging and in all seriousness, most people would consider a full workout in itself), I'll ramp up fast. If I'm not feeling so good, or it's been a while since I lifted and the technique is slipping, I'll spend longer on light weights before moving up (maybe a set at 50% or 60% before going to 80%). What I NEVER do is crawl up in 10kg increments doing 5+ reps every time. That's meaningless volume that doesn't make you stronger and just tires you out. I did Starting Strength for 6 months-plus this way, and while my gains weren't quite linear (not being a teenager anymore, sadly), they were pretty close to it, with new PRs every week at least. And no injuries.

If you want to preach about avoiding injury and body-building, I have to question why you're even trying a 1RM in the first place. It's always a test of will and capacity that carries no guarantee of success. Even if everything has being going well, you still won't make those lifts a lot of the time (especially after you've been training for a few years). Trying to lift a weight so heavy that you've never been able to do it before is an inherently silly and risky and unnecessary thing to do. I do them very occasionally, and for kicks only. If I don't make it, I don't get bummed out or throw out my whole training philosophy. Unless you are competing it doesn't really prove anything other than how good you were on that day. I've hit a weight one day, came back 2 days later and failed at 10% less. And vice versa. You get far more reliable results from 3s and 5s.
vjj

« Reply #1933 on: January 31, 2011, 12:59:10 AM »

ok, give me the physiological reasons why you need to do all those warm-ups then, if you've already got the joints limber and the cartilage softened from calisthenics, and already have your technique down and have extensive experience with heavy loads (i.e. you know what 80% feels like because you've lifted it many times before). There really isn't one. Less experienced trainees need the practice, because their form will look different on damn near every lift as the weight goes up. The more experienced the trainee, the less deviation there will be in their form as the weight increases, so less need for a longer warm-up. As I noted, I'm on the more experienced end, so I do less.

Now, the flipside to this is that very often 'more experienced' means 'older', and obviously the older you get in terms of training years, the more warming-up you should be doing generally. But there again, the experienced trainee knows their body, and knows when they're warmed up. If I'm feeling good after my bodyweight warm-up (which, no bragging and in all seriousness, most people would consider a full workout in itself), I'll ramp up fast. If I'm not feeling so good, or it's been a while since I lifted and the technique is slipping, I'll spend longer on light weights before moving up (maybe a set at 50% or 60% before going to 80%). What I NEVER do is crawl up in 10kg increments doing 5+ reps every time. That's meaningless volume that doesn't make you stronger and just tires you out. I did Starting Strength for 6 months-plus this way, and while my gains weren't quite linear (not being a teenager anymore, sadly), they were pretty close to it, with new PRs every week at least. And no injuries.

If you want to preach about avoiding injury and body-building, I have to question why you're even trying a 1RM in the first place. It's always a test of will and capacity that carries no guarantee of success. Even if everything has being going well, you still won't make those lifts a lot of the time (especially after you've been training for a few years). Trying to lift a weight so heavy that you've never been able to do it before is an inherently silly and risky and unnecessary thing to do. I do them very occasionally, and for kicks only. If I don't make it, I don't get bummed out or throw out my whole training philosophy. Unless you are competing it doesn't really prove anything other than how good you were on that day. I've hit a weight one day, came back 2 days later and failed at 10% less. And vice versa. You get far more reliable results from 3s and 5s.

You do warm-ups in general to better prepare your body for the massive workload it's about to perform, by providing your body - without tiring it, obviously - an accurate precursor of the type of weight it's going to be pushing. Calisthenics doesn't do that. Going from a 45-lb bar to my 80% (260-lb range), as you recommended, would undoubtedly lead me to some sort of injury down the road, as the difference in weight between the two warm-up sets is so massive that I might as well not have down the bar warm-ups at all. Rippetoe, whom you've referenced in the past, suggests warm up sets for all types of lifters and experience levels, but if you want me to post more quotes from him validating their importance, I'd be more than happy to do it. If you'd like his suggestions to be reinforced by the opinions of other experienced trainers and coaches, as well, here are some articles:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/hale29.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi51.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt40a.htm
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/staley7.htm

Your opinion on the matter is formed on the basis of personal convenience and hypothetical, both of which seem to run opposite of the advice repeatedly imparted by experts. By your own admission, you're lazy and spend less than 30 minutes in the gym, so perhaps your training philosophy and regiment were built with such propensities in mind - I don't know. If you do not want to do the extra sets because you neither have the time nor the desire for it, that's fine, but I notice you tend to use other than the acknowledgment of personal preference as justification for your approach and implying universal reasoning to it when your methodology is neither supported nor recommended by reputable sources.

As far as stretching goes, I do it to loosen up my stiff muscles, although I will admit that I've heard valid arguments on both sides regarding their effectiveness on subsequent workouts. I'll also agree with the one-max rep thing, as it can be dangerous and somewhat unreliable in gauging personal strength, but I do it nevertheless every month or so to have another point of reference and, admittedly, to have a final number when answering the question, "How much can you ____?" As long as I don't do it often, I'll be fine - another fact supported by experts.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 01:08:32 AM by Nintendosbooger »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1934 on: January 31, 2011, 01:07:11 AM »
You're right, I have nothing to teach you grasshopper, go out into the world and do your own thang.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1935 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:18 AM »
My warm ups are always just straight to 135 (5 rep), 205 (3 reps) and then my working weight (230).  I do two warm up sets and 5 working sets.  I don't know any of the science behind it, but it's not enough to effect my working sets and it's just enough for me to feel good.  I don't stretch before working out either.  I stretch after. 

Anyways, Cormac, I fell off for two meals over the last two weeks.  Last Thursday (I think) I had a Jimmy Johns sandwich and Saturday I had some pizza.  The sandwich I got no excuse for.  The pizza is something I have done every year since my Dad died because he was obsessed with the brand.  My pants are starting to sag and I have to get a new belt. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1936 on: January 31, 2011, 06:43:37 PM »
Congrats! That's pretty rapid progress but you can of course lose weight on any old diet. The real change will be when you eat pizza and wish you'd eaten some meat and veggies instead ;)

(btw it sounds like you are doing 'warm-up sets' at your 'working weight' above - i.e. 7 sets at 230. Am I missing something? I'd be surprised if your max goes up very often at that kind of volume, but....I'm done with this argument)
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1937 on: January 31, 2011, 06:58:03 PM »
7 sets total. 

1 at 135
1 @ 205
5 @ 235 (went up 5 today)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1938 on: January 31, 2011, 07:12:59 PM »
Fair enough, can't argue with 5x5.
vjj

« Reply #1939 on: January 31, 2011, 09:02:38 PM »
7 sets total. 

1 at 135
1 @ 205
5 @ 235 (went up 5 today)

How much rest between warm-up sets? And work-out sets?

I can't come to a universally agreed upon number for this, and I think that - along with my high number of warm up sets - is thwarting my progress. I've read it's 3 minutes for 8-12 workout reps (body builders) and up to 15 minutes for strength lifters (1-3 reps), but there is no unanimous number.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1940 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
I'm older, and I need up to 15 mins to recover when pushing my limits for sure. I hate waiting that long, because I like to be done fast, as noted above, but what can you do. This is part of the reason why I don't mess around with lots of warm-up sets.

Once you miss the lift enough times, you start listening to your body. There is a sweet spot that you learn to recognize, and it doesn't necessarily follow a predictable pattern. You need to be recovered enough that you're not shaking or breathing heavy, seeing spots etc...but still have the CNS fully engaged (i.e. every part of your body should feel charged and AWAKE). It's tricky because I've often made lifts that I never thought I would because I felt so wasted from the previous set - I'm sure everyone has experienced this at some point. This paradox is partly because of the nature of the effect of adrenaline on the system. It literally makes you feel scared, and diminishes your awareness of your body's capacity. Learning to get a handle on judging your capacity while in this weird excited state is very important, I think. You need to go lift as soon as the negative effects of the last set have diminished JUST enough, but the positive effects are still there. The good part of course is when you make that lift that you didn't really think you had in you, which instills the confidence you need to keep pushing the envelope.

(Then again, I do know some badasses who just set their watch for rest periods and get straight back under the bar when their 2 mins or whatever is up. If you are totally consistent with doing it, you can certainly train your body to recover a bit faster. I think the positive effect is mostly psychological though, just because it removes the element of discretion and possible overthinking).

Short answer = by all means, rest up to 15 mins for strength lifts. 5 at minimum. Learn to identify your personal sweet spot, which will be highly variable with age/injury/diet/fatigue and not something you can follow with a stopwatch.
vjj

« Reply #1941 on: January 31, 2011, 11:41:42 PM »
I hear you. I did the "no stretch" thing today and my warm-up sets consisted of 3 1-rep workouts (@ 135, 185, and 225) before I started my 5x5. Didn't feel bad, funny, or hurt, so I might stop stretching altogether before sets.

My rests tonight lasted 5-10 minutes between each set, which I felt was optimal since I was fatigued yet successful in completing my sets.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1942 on: February 01, 2011, 10:22:46 AM »
Between my warm up sets, I wait as long as it takes to get the weight on the bar.  Same for the time between warm ups and 1st working weight set.  Between each working weight set I wait 4 minutes.  I even set a timer.  But that's not a hard line.  If I really feel like I'm pushing my body that day, I'll take extra time.  But I like to keep a set routine so I try to stick with the 4 minutes and that usually does me good.  When I first started lifting it used to be a minute and a half.  Then when I first got to upper 100's and lower 200's it changed to 3 minutes and I just changed it to 4 minutes the other day.  But I asked Cormac before and I've read everywhere, if you're not in a rush (and since I have my weight bench at home, I'm not) take as much time as you need.  Right now, after 4 minutes rest I generally feel 100% going back. 

My biggest problem with waiting is that I guess I get out of that mode sometimes or wait too long and when I go back my arms feel like jelly and they're just done with it.  That's why I started timing myself.  Too many times I sat down to rest and came back just feeling done.

And I generally do around 10 reps on the low side of my routine (when I deload) and at least 5 on the high side (which tomorrow will be 240 on bench).  I'll hit 245 Friday and deload 10% because that's usually where I either make 24 or barely make 25. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 10:24:17 AM by Mupepe »

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1943 on: February 03, 2011, 06:24:56 AM »
I've been without teh internetz for a little while, but here's a quick update on me.

Lost an additional 8lbs after starting Paleo in the first week and a half.  I had been stuck at a plateau for a while, and I was happy to push past it.  I started out really strong into the diet, and I wasn't happy with it, tbh.  I'm still doing it, but not with the intensity that I started with.  I'm easing into it more now. (i.e. things like making my own salad dressing and finding the healthiest ways to cook food didn't come easy to me at first)

Cormac question in the spoiler (or anyone that eats Paleo regularly)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cormac, what do you do for meat options?  Finding healthy cuts of red meat is hard to do, and sources of other meats outside of fish, pork, and chicken are hard to come by.  Do you still eat a lot of red meat?  We haven't been, but I'm getting burnt out on chicken.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is what are the best meats that I can get/eat in a smaller population area? 

I should also add that I do eat bacon and eggs in the morning.  Cause it's so fucking yummy.  Is that bad?
[close]

My gym routine is getting better.  I'm up to finally doing 30 minutes (cut in half) on an elliptical at a decent pace.  I was doing the HIIT for a while, but after a few weeks I wasn't noticing any benefits from it.  I'm not going to go too in depth on my lifting routine because I'm not trying to bulk up.  I still do a rotation of arms, legs, and chest/back every week using as many free weights as possible.

My exercise at home still needs improvement.  I know that if I were to at least exercise 30-45 minutes each day that I didn't make it to the gym, I'd shed weight really quickly.  My motivation just isn't there to get up off my ass and do it.  I've got a stepping block that I use, but I just can't get myself to stay on it like I should.  I'm definitely not going to by a bike or treadmill for at home though, because that would almost defeat the purpose of the gym membership.  Ideas from anyone with young kids or that had a young kid once for doing exercise and cardio at home would be great.

WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1944 on: February 03, 2011, 07:32:44 AM »
Nothing wrong with red meat, really. The big issue is the quality of the meat. If it's primo grass-fed organic meat, you can wolf it down (including the fat) as often as you afford. Lots of Paleo folks buy it by the cow and freeze it, which is much cheaper.

If you're buying factory red meat (which is sadly the norm), you should really go for the leanest cuts you can get, and trim the fat. The fat is not the problem - it's all the nasty toxins that accumulate in the fat.

I buy good steak and stewing beef when it's cheap and freeze it til I need it. The cheaper cuts go in stews and curries. The steak i just eat with veggies on the side. I also eat a lot of pork shoulder, tenderloin and pork chops (just had 3 for dinner).

Bacon and eggs is like the foundation of my whole existence. Every. Day. Unless I have sausages instead. I buy bacon in chunks and slice it myself for maximum satisfaction. There are an infinite number of ways you can cook eggs, so it never gets dull. Whatever leftover veggies i have from dinner go in the eggs or on the side. Omelettes are my mainstay though, fried in the bacon grease. Tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, squash, cauliflower whatever is around goes on the side.

Don't forget fish as well. Salmon is super easy to cook and goes with a million things. mmm, maybe it's time for Paleo cooking thread, if Rman is in!
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1945 on: February 03, 2011, 03:27:24 PM »
back on track with my diet. man, i simply can't eat nuts (:teehee). fuckin' food allergies ruin everything.
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1946 on: February 03, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
Well, nuts are problematic for many folks for a reason - most contain anti-digestive enzymes to help the nut pass through the digestive systems of say, a squirrel, largely undigested. (to distribute the nuts far from the parent tree). Those enzymes work on us too. There are ways to counteract their effects though - which is why we typically toast walnuts before eating. Soaking them overnight in water helps in many cases too. I'm not sure if this kind of approach would help with your allergies though...I've never had any and don't spend a lot of time thinking about them. Robbwolf.com probably has all the answers though!
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1947 on: February 03, 2011, 08:00:23 PM »
nah, i don't mind taking them out of my diet -- just that they were a convenient source of proteins/fats. i'm adding (range-fed) red meat in a bit again with the chicken/fish, so we'll see! really, overall, i can't complain -- paleo is so fuckin easy to do, and i'm glad it wasn't the paleo eating but rather just the nuts that were messing with me.
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1948 on: February 03, 2011, 08:04:58 PM »
Yo, Van Cruncheon, why have you become so concerned about your looks?  Did you get a mistress or manstress?

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1949 on: February 03, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »
what? i have a VERY active and outdoorsy six year old daughter, and i ain't gonna be the lazy fatass dad kids make fun of. i wanna be the fucking UNGODLY TERROR DAD that sets the fuckin' pace! not interested in my LOOKS -- i am at best a very middling prize no matter how cut i get -- just in my muscle/stamina. for all my bullshit around here i hold my kid to a pretty high standard, and i am NOT gonna be a fucking hypocrite!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 10:41:44 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1950 on: February 03, 2011, 10:41:27 PM »
...AND can fix your laptop and do trig in his head :bow
vjj

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1951 on: February 03, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
also if you want your kids to eat right and value exercise, the parents have to be the standard-bearers. you want 'em to be lazy worthless fourthmeal slurping shits with fucked up priorities, act that way yourself and they'll waddle right along behind ya
duc

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1952 on: February 04, 2011, 01:29:44 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, bro.  I just found it odd because you didn't give a crap before and being a happily married man, it didn't seem like you needed to.  Big props on leading your family to a healthy lifestyle.  Is your daughter on paleo as well?  I wonder what her friends would say when she removes the corn from the dog. 

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #1953 on: February 04, 2011, 01:32:19 AM »
no worries! realizing exactly how much your kid absorbs from your lifestyle and behavior as a parent really woke me up.
duc

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1954 on: February 04, 2011, 03:30:51 AM »
it's certainly making me consider hiding my porn a bit better, yes.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #1955 on: February 04, 2011, 06:10:41 PM »
I think I asked about it a while back but forgot to follow up during the colder seasons.  Are there any good methods to keep my forearms from being so dainty? my wrists are especially thin and it's starting to annoy me as spring is just around the corner

also if you want your kids to eat right and value exercise, the parents have to be the standard-bearers. you want 'em to be lazy worthless fourthmeal slurping shits with fucked up priorities, act that way yourself and they'll waddle right along behind ya

that is very admirable

[youtube=560,345]Y-Elr5K2Vuo[/youtube]

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1956 on: February 04, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »
Anyone know some good core and arm workouts to do?  I'm more interested in endurance rather than strength.  I've finally gotten back to 25 miles a week after fucking my back up and I'm starting to put on good speed but I'm running stiff because I haven't been exercising my upper body at all.

out of curiosity, how did you fuck up your back?

i struggle with a fucked up back which has completely put a stop to my running :( for the short term i hope...

but it hasn't stopped me from biking/swiming/hiking :punch

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #1957 on: February 04, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »
any recommendations for which yoga workout/routine you've used? i've been doing the p90 yoga-x once a week or so, but i'm finding it a bit too extreme for my condition.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1958 on: February 04, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »
Anyone know some good core and arm workouts to do?  I'm more interested in endurance rather than strength.  I've finally gotten back to 25 miles a week after fucking my back up and I'm starting to put on good speed but I'm running stiff because I haven't been exercising my upper body at all.

anything other than running :lol

Same shit as I recommend for everyone else - squat, deadlift (yes, these are 'core' exercises as much as leg exercises), pull-ups, shoulder press, cleans, kettlebell swings, you name it. And run less miles and sprint more often.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1959 on: February 05, 2011, 09:41:43 AM »
I've been without teh internetz for a little while, but here's a quick update on me.

Lost an additional 8lbs after starting Paleo in the first week and a half.  I had been stuck at a plateau for a while, and I was happy to push past it.  I started out really strong into the diet, and I wasn't happy with it, tbh.  I'm still doing it, but not with the intensity that I started with.  I'm easing into it more now. (i.e. things like making my own salad dressing and finding the healthiest ways to cook food didn't come easy to me at first)

Cormac question in the spoiler (or anyone that eats Paleo regularly)
Cormac, what do you do for meat options?  Finding healthy cuts of red meat is hard to do, and sources of other meats outside of fish, pork, and chicken are hard to come by.  Do you still eat a lot of red meat?  We haven't been, but I'm getting burnt out on chicken.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is what are the best meats that I can get/eat in a smaller population area? 

I should also add that I do eat bacon and eggs in the morning.  Cause it's so fucking yummy.  Is that bad?
[close]

My gym routine is getting better.  I'm up to finally doing 30 minutes (cut in half) on an elliptical at a decent pace.  I was doing the HIIT for a while, but after a few weeks I wasn't noticing any benefits from it.  I'm not going to go too in depth on my lifting routine because I'm not trying to bulk up.  I still do a rotation of arms, legs, and chest/back every week using as many free weights as possible.

My exercise at home still needs improvement.  I know that if I were to at least exercise 30-45 minutes each day that I didn't make it to the gym, I'd shed weight really quickly.  My motivation just isn't there to get up off my ass and do it.  I've got a stepping block that I use, but I just can't get myself to stay on it like I should.  I'm definitely not going to by a bike or treadmill for at home though, because that would almost defeat the purpose of the gym membership.  Ideas from anyone with young kids or that had a young kid once for doing exercise and cardio at home would be great.

It's great that you're honest with yourself but man, a week and half and you're slacking? After losing 8lbs? Most people would be ecstatic with that kind of progress. I think maybe you should set some goals.

Most of the workouts I do are completely doable at home, with a minimum of equipment. I did a workout today on my porch, which is about 10 feet by 3 feet, using an old basketball full of sand and a kettlebell, for example. Took under 10 mins - the kid never even noticed I was gone. As usual, I've gone through all this stuff too many times already in various threads to rehash it though. Ask some specific questions and you will get specific answers. Ask vague ones and you will get vague answers.;)
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #1960 on: February 05, 2011, 01:32:00 PM »
I fell down some stairs about a year ago which tweaked it, and then I re-injured it twice since then.  I started doing yoga and running stairs to get back into it which worked.

Try to see a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine but find one that specializes in Osteopathic Medicine.  I think they call it OMM.  DOs can specialize in any medical field like MDs so you need to find one that really still practices Osteopathy.  I've heard miracle stories from people who've got their backs fixed by osteopathic medicine when traditional MD methods didn't work. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1961 on: February 05, 2011, 09:39:46 PM »
This is about all you need to start. Key is to keep the shoulders relaxed (but engaged) - all the thrust comes from the hips. People often think this is a shoulder/arm exercise - it is not. It is great for shoulder rehab and grip, but what it trains is hip thrust.  :-*

[youtube=560,345]HX42k6YHBqg&NR=1[/youtube]
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1962 on: February 09, 2011, 03:59:12 PM »

It's great that you're honest with yourself but man, a week and half and you're slacking? After losing 8lbs? Most people would be ecstatic with that kind of progress. I think maybe you should set some goals.

Most of the workouts I do are completely doable at home, with a minimum of equipment. I did a workout today on my porch, which is about 10 feet by 3 feet, using an old basketball full of sand and a kettlebell, for example. Took under 10 mins - the kid never even noticed I was gone. As usual, I've gone through all this stuff too many times already in various threads to rehash it though. Ask some specific questions and you will get specific answers. Ask vague ones and you will get vague answers.;)

I'm back on the net finally!  And I've lost another couple of pounds since then.  I'm glad you mentioned goals, Cormac.  I actually just turned the wall behind my PC into a personal health tracker.  I'm keeping my current weight, BMI, and my goals pinned up on index cards.  I don't know how much stock anyone else puts into BMI, but I like to have something in addition to weight to track.  This time last year, my goals were pretty hefty and vague.  This time, I've structured them a little better with actual time guidelines to boost. 

I'm pretty excited today!  The hospital I work for just opened a business account with my local gym (the one I'm already a member of) so I'm going to get a bigger discount for going.  On top of that, they've got an appointment made for us with a personal trainer (he calls himself a physique specialist).  There are only a small handful of us that have memberships, so this should be a good session.

As for my at home exercise, I'm starting to improve there as well.  I built a step out of some spare lumber a few months ago and I do steps... on it for cardio.  Strength training at home is still lagging, but I'm figuring it out. 
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1963 on: February 09, 2011, 08:08:12 PM »
There is plenty of evidence that you can lose weight by doing nothing more than setting a firm goal and keeping it in mind by tracking it every day. I'm not sold on it, because there is a lot more to health and fitness than simply losing weight, but it's an indication of the power of the mind. Taking pictures is more useful than tracking by scales or BMI, IMHO. The mirror/camera doesn't lie. This is especially important if you are exercising on top of dieting, because the scales won't account for added lean muscle mass.

Check out this dude, btw. Phenomenal body comp changes at age 54 with minimal equipment (and i'm guessing a very low budget).
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-unconquerable-dave/

Pics spoilered because of extreme bearness:
Sept 2009

Jan 2011

[close]
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1964 on: February 10, 2011, 05:53:13 AM »
 :o Holy Shit  :o

That's impressive.

I met with a personal trainer tonight that I was really impressed with.  I got the guy's business card and I'm going to set up a personal session with him soon.  He told me he was a big fan of Paleo eating, and he's got a lot of happy clients.  Not only that, but my nutritionist trusts him, so that's got to say something good.

The best part about the session tonight (it was a group session), was that he gave us all some great tips for getting in a super workout at the gym and using a lot of the same routines at home, but in different ways. 

BTW, Cormac do you have the books like the Primal Blueprint and the Primal Blueprint Cookbook?  I was just wondering if they were any good.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1965 on: February 10, 2011, 06:19:33 AM »
The Primal Blueprint is AWESOME. Almost every word in there is gold. I don't buy into all the supplements he sells, but he's honest about them not being necessary for most people if they get the other things right.

I have the cookbook as well but it's not wildly useful for me. Japanese stores have a totally different set of ingredients so using most US or UK cookbooks is always an exercise in frustration. By the time you make all the substitutions, it's a whole different thing. And it's not like I have any trouble with Paleo cooking anyway. It's such a piece of piss compared to the fussy stuff I was making before. Still, I count any cookbook a win if it adds even one menu item to your regular rotation. When you're starting out, you need to get to around 10 items if you're really gonna make it through the week without cheating. So do what you gotta do to get to 10, I guess. If it means buying 10 books, buy 10 books, it'll be well worth it in the long run. Might be worth a trip to the library if you're not sure.

There is a metric TON of stuff online of course but a lot of it is this weird kind of 'let's make regular food Paleo-style!'. Making weird-ass 'blueberry pancakes' out of almond flour with 'syrup' made from Stevia and garbage like that. If you want blueberry pancakes that fucking bad, eat the things.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1966 on: February 10, 2011, 10:20:07 AM »
I got some bread made from flax seeds the other day.  It was pretty good, but it just tasted off.  Maybe i'm just too used to wheat and flour.  Wasn't worth the price or hassle.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1967 on: February 16, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »
I'm out of my rut with meat finally.  I had a nice juicy steak two nights ago and pork chops last night.  My wife picked out cuts at the store that weren't terribly fatty, so they turned out pretty well. 

Also found out that my in-laws have a guy they buy a cow and a hog from every year and send them to a butcher.  I think my wife and I are going to buy in the next time they have one butchered.  The cattle and hogs they get are all grass fed and naturally maintained.  It's a paleo dream!

Had a stomach virus on Sunday which took away from my gym day, so I'm looking to get back into things today after recovering for the last couple. 

I'm going to be looking for some new shoes in the next couple of weeks for the gym.  I plan to make these shoes strictly "gym" shoes.  I've got a wide foot.  Any suggestions?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1968 on: February 16, 2011, 02:01:16 AM »
What are you doing that requires shoes? Unless I'm on a treadmill (which is rare), I either wear Vibrams (for everything) or weightlifting shoes (for squatting and O-lifts...I deadlift in Vibrams or barefoot typically). The best thing you can do to strengthen your feet and ankles is to be barefoot as often as possible, although you may need some social engineering to get away with this at your gym. Only wear shoes when you absolutely have to, and then wear the least possible amount of shoe. You absolutely do not need to wear $200 of Nike to pad around the weight room.

Buying a cow or pig is an awesome way to go. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I had a big freezer. If you can get grass-fed butter and cream from the same source, do it. Also try to get some beef tallow and use it for cooking. You could live on it. My local supermarket actually gives the stuff away and it's awesome for cooking.

vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1969 on: February 16, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »
In Kentucky, people just got used to wearing shoes everywhere.  I don't want to be the one to upset the new standard so soon!   :lol

I won't actually be doing anything that requires shoes in the gym, and the trainer I met suggested getting a pair with as little padding in the heel as possible.  I probably could get away with wearing Vibrams though.  I don't know how well they'll fit me since I do have a wide foot.  Are they pretty flexible in terms of molding all foot types?  If not Vibrams, what about something like a pair of Chuck Taylor All-Stars?  They're also very lightweight and just add a minimal layer of protection for the bottom of the foot.

Just to clarify, I don't look for the big expensive shoes.  I don't find them any more useful than a pair of $50 New Balances.  I care about comfort.

I know what beef tallow is, but what kind of cooking is it used for?
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #1970 on: February 16, 2011, 03:29:06 PM »
By the way, the best thread on bodybuilding.com...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=108359701&page=5

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1971 on: February 16, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »
Chuck Taylors are fine for most purposes in the gym. If you get into squatting heavy or Olympic lifting, you may want to upgrade.

Re: the width of your feet - I am not a shoe salesman, and cannot find you a pair of shoes over the internet, ffs :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1972 on: February 16, 2011, 07:11:04 PM »
:bow Billy Rygar, internet shoe salesman :bow2
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1973 on: February 16, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
I won't even get you started on purses and handbags.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1974 on: February 17, 2011, 02:33:41 AM »
 :lol Thanks for the help!  I'll probably stick with Chuck Taylors for right now.  I have a pair that is still in great shape, and I might go buy another here in the next couple of weeks just for the hell of it.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1975 on: February 19, 2011, 06:12:54 AM »
Did a nice simple workout today that anybody can try more or less anywhere. If you don't mind a few odd looks, maybe.

Just get a backpack and stuff it with heavy things. Barbell plates are handy but anything that will fit is fine. An easy way to weight an object is of course to fill it with water or sand, so you could just get a bunch of empty soft drink plastic bottles or milk cartons or whatever and stick those in there. Aim for somewhere between 25-50% of your bodyweight.

Then just put on your favorite podcast and start walkin'. Take breaks if you need to but just try to cover as much ground as possible. Imagine you are returning from a hunt with a dead deer on your back for your starving family's consumption if it helps. Aim to be out there for an hour. That's it. This is incredible for the core - your abs will be locked tight the whole time, without you even having to consciously think about it. Cause if not, you'll fall over in a heap :lol

If you really want to light yourself up, carry something in each arm as well. If you walk for an hour or so, your forearms will be like fucking Popeye's by the end of it.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #1976 on: February 19, 2011, 02:06:35 PM »
The workout sounds simple enough and I've heard a lot of others say to do it, but I still have one question.  Wouldn't that have some sort of long-term effect on your low back and your overall posture?  Or would that only be if it was done on a daily basis?

I just remember a big campaign that went through the schools a few years ago where they were encouraging the students from Preschool to College to stop using backpacks and to stop carrying so many books in general because the weight of the books was causing back problems for them.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1977 on: February 19, 2011, 07:03:32 PM »
if you don't carry it right, sure, i can see that being a concern. The answer is then: carry it right, with good posture. You will be very conscious of where the weight is placed on your back, believe me. It's not something you can ignore like a bunch of books. From the second you put it on your back, you will be thinking about the best way to carry the thing so it doesn't hurt and doesn't feel so fucking heavy! :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1978 on: February 19, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »
Also, you don't need to use a backpack - you can just carry stuff in your hands (the 'Farmer's Walk'), or held at your chest, or even above your head (The 'Waiter's Walk'). Kettlebells are good for this.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #1979 on: February 20, 2011, 01:48:17 PM »
quick question:  is it better to work out of you're sick, or are you supposed to rest and take the day off?