Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 817002 times)

Himu

Re: FitnessBore - 2011 edition
« Reply #2160 on: April 04, 2011, 12:59:18 AM »
Fuck no. Having high blood pressure makes me wary of anything I eat. If the sodium intake is over 200 I don't buy it.

Today I went to the deli and I saw some quiche.

"Oh, quiche! I love quiche! That would go great with my veggie sandwich."

*looks at nutrition facts*

sodium - 1770 mg

"........."

I do eat bread, but only wheat or flat bread and only in moderation.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 01:01:27 AM by Stringer Bell »
IYKYK

cool breeze

« Reply #2161 on: April 04, 2011, 01:20:18 AM »
green tea will stain your teeth something fierce.  and/or that's regular tea and coffee.  whatever it is, my dentist hates me because of it.

so are those body fat scales complete rubbish? my brother bought one and I tried it out and it spat out numbers and I didn't know if I should feel bad about it.  Not because I understood what the numbers meant or anything.

Himu

« Reply #2162 on: April 04, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »
Green tea has fluoride in it though. Use baking soda toothpaste.
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2163 on: April 04, 2011, 01:43:09 AM »
oh yeah, they're totally useless as far as I can determine. According to my Tanita scale, my body fat percentage has barely changed despite going from 86kg to 70kg. Taking pics is the easiest way to track progress. Weight on the scales is only one part of the equation.
vjj

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2164 on: April 04, 2011, 10:32:49 AM »
oh yeah, they're totally useless as far as I can determine. According to my Tanita scale, my body fat percentage has barely changed despite going from 86kg to 70kg. Taking pics is the easiest way to track progress. Weight on the scales is only one part of the equation.
This. 

They're just horribly inaccurate.  You can get some calipers, but they're just like a scale.  Use only that one and just check to see which direction your percentage is moving because they're all inaccurate.

Speaking of scales, I lost 4 lbs last week.  If I continue at this pace I'll be the lightest I've been in a year next week.

Himu

« Reply #2165 on: April 04, 2011, 10:40:45 AM »
I've lost 4 pounds too!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #2166 on: April 04, 2011, 01:18:40 PM »
how do i get a body like this

ps: this is third
IYKYK

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2167 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:12 PM »
ask him nicely? if not: chloroform
vjj

Skidmark

« Reply #2168 on: April 05, 2011, 07:25:24 AM »
Just found this website: http://www.gymidiots.com/

My favorits:
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

« Reply #2169 on: April 05, 2011, 11:47:54 PM »
I have been having sharp pain in my feet lately when I walk, somewhere in the middle of the feet. I found out that it was because I wasn't doing squats properly. When I raise up from the ground, my knees get closer to each other and my feet kind of raise a bit from the floor, most of the weight would be on the side where I have my big toes.

Play with the smith machine for a while.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2170 on: April 05, 2011, 11:59:22 PM »
I have been having sharp pain in my feet lately when I walk, somewhere in the middle of the feet. I found out that it was because I wasn't doing squats properly. When I raise up from the ground, my knees get closer to each other and my feet kind of raise a bit from the floor, most of the weight would be on the side where I have my big toes.

Play with the smith machine for a while.

But he already knows how not to squat  ???
vjj

« Reply #2171 on: April 06, 2011, 12:38:35 AM »
lol yeah.

In all seriousness, Skidmark, stop playing with the free weights until you get the form right. There are a plethora of injuries, both short term and permanent, that you could suffer as a result of poor execution, and you won't notice it right away. One of my weaknesses with squatting when I first started out was that my knees traveled forward beyond my toes (a big no-no), and it was hurting/damaging my knees to the point where I'd constantly feel pain, even when I wasn't lifting. I'm not ashamed to admit that I used a smith machine for a while until the knee pains permanently disappeared and I improved my form.

Skidmark

« Reply #2172 on: April 06, 2011, 08:31:43 AM »
When it comes to doing squats, there is a lot to pay attention to, especially in the details. I have improved a lot but I won't be surprised if I still do somethings wrong. I will go visit one of the local gyms and see if one of the guys can help me with my form. My friends haven't noticed any of the mistakes that I have been doing. I don't have a mirror in the room to see how I do.

The hardest part is when I try to focus on doing one aspect of the form properly I forget about the rest. I mostly focus on chest pushed outwords, push my butt upwords when I start raising (kind of use it to raise myself), no curved back, knees and feet in the right position. and i still managed to forget about my knees not traveling forward beyond my toes. I will pay attention to it today.

I think I will film myself squating today and you guys can judge.

Edit: I don't have a smiths machine and I don't have a gym membership. I will have to keep learning till i get it right. I don't lift that heavy anyway so its a bit easier for me to pay attention to my form.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:34:08 AM by Skidmark »

Skidmark

« Reply #2173 on: April 06, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »
Ok, I have worked out and taken some videos and pictures.
Here is where I read about how to do squats:
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

Here is a video of me doing some today:
I have noticed that the bar wasn't well balanced, its hard to notice it when it happens especially when there is no mirror.
How does my form look? Is there anything else that I need to pay more attention to?

Also, here are some more pics of my progress:
http://i.imgur.com/j8GA1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fM17j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7C4Aq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ksDOr.jpg

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2174 on: April 06, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
Nice work dude.  Awesome physique.  :bow Skidmark :bow2

However, this totally screams "Would you fuck me?  I'd fuck me.  I'd fuck me hard"

Skidmark

« Reply #2175 on: April 06, 2011, 02:28:16 PM »
haha  :lol, I didn't think much about it but I like it anyway :P

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2176 on: April 06, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
The off-balance thing might have to do with the hood of your sweatshirt...   ???

Your form looks a hell of a lot better than mine.  I don't do squats with a bar though.  I usually do them with a couple of dumbells.

In other news, I met a personal trainer today that I think I'm going to try out.  The guy really understands what I'm working with, as he used to be bigger than I am now.  He's a pretty ripped guy, and I told him that I wasn't look to be as big in the chest and shoulders as he is, but otherwise his physique was what I wanted to have.  He said that he's all about keeping things changed up so that we don't get bored, and he's all about communication.  Plus, his rates are dirt-cheap where he's trying to build up a clientele base.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2177 on: April 06, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »
Skidmark - Better than I was expecting, from what you said. Good depth, back is solid, and the knees look OK from that angle (although wobbly). You are lifting 'high bar' style though, which I doubt is what stronglifts teaches for strength gains. High bar is really for Oly training since it leads to a more upright position which develops the quads more. It's also the way pretty much everyone picks up the bar at first, so don't sweat it. You are not a freak for naturally wanting to lift this way. At your weights, it doesn't make that much difference. But since damn near everyone squats for the nominal purpose of pure strength, I think everyone should be squatting 'low bar' style. I find it a much more secure position to lift from, although it will take a while to get used to it. Your arms lock the bar onto your upper back so firmly that you don't even need to use your hands to grip the bar (I don't). Once you do, you'll never go back.

Here is what you're doing, and what I think you should be aiming for ( (2) and (3) respectively - edit: oops):

Stuff on work on:
- Get your wrists forward, not bent backward.
- Neck straight - you can keep your chest up without craning your neck and head backward.
- Pick a spot on the ground about 6 feet in front of you and focus on it.
- Pick up the bar in the middle :lol
- Go down faster - nothing to be gained by doing the eccentric portion of the lift slowly. You need the bounce that comes with rapid contraction at the bottom once the weight goes up.
- Hard to tell from the video, but you don't seem to be breathing right. You need to be holding a big breath to get the chest up and the core tight throughout the movement. This is something that will probably sort itself out once you go heavier, but get used to it now. Breathe at the top. DO NOT breathe out at the bottom.
- And don't lift in your socks on a polished wood floor! Do I have to spell it out :lol

I don't need to tell you that at heavier weights even 1 or 2cm of deviation from the middle of the bar is going to fuck you up big-time so get used to finding your spot now. Part of your problem is that you are not getting under the bar at standing height, but I guess there is nothing you can do about that for now.

Plenty more detail here if you want:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Lifts
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:32:25 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

« Reply #2178 on: April 06, 2011, 07:06:06 PM »
Ok, I have worked out and taken some videos and pictures.
Here is where I read about how to do squats:
http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

Here is a video of me doing some today:
I have noticed that the bar wasn't well balanced, its hard to notice it when it happens especially when there is no mirror.
How does my form look? Is there anything else that I need to pay more attention to?

Also, here are some more pics of my progress:
http://i.imgur.com/j8GA1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fM17j.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7C4Aq.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ksDOr.jpg

Positives:

+ You're going down low. Awesome.
+ Your feet seem shoulder width apart, and you're pointing them slightly out (11oclock/left; 1oclock/right)
+ I think, although I can't say for sure due to your sweatshirt, that you're sticking your chest out. If so, kudos.
+ You're not bending your wrist from what I can see. Hard to tell, though.
+ Breathing out as you're pushing up
+ Your knees weren't going forward past your toes

Negatives:

- I noticed your knees shaking or jerking inwards/outwards in a few of those reps. Might be the baggy pants playing tricks on my eyes, though. If not, keep those knees steady.
- The bar kept looking like it was going to tip over to the right, dude.

Unknowns:

? I couldn't tell if you were setting your weight on your heels or on your toes.

I can tell you were playing with weight that was too light for you, since you executed it so effectively, cleanly, and quickly. It's easy to illustrate proper form with light weight, but what's more telling is how your form looks when you're doing heavy sets.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:09:30 PM by Nintendosbooger »

« Reply #2179 on: April 06, 2011, 07:07:04 PM »

Skidmark

« Reply #2180 on: April 06, 2011, 07:19:29 PM »
Ok awesome, this is what I needed!
I will go through it again tomorrow to make sure that I remember everything. Thanks guys!

Also, how do I tell the difference between back pain and training ache from doing squats? I feel that my back is kind of stiff if that makes sense but it doesn't hurt any more or any less no matter what activity I do, sit down, lay back, run, pick something up etc. Also, my feet are much better now, no pain what so ever.

Himu

« Reply #2181 on: April 06, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Nice work dude.  Awesome physique.  :bow Skidmark :bow2

However, this totally screams "Would you fuck me?  I'd fuck me.  I'd fuck me hard"
(Image removed from quote.)

oh hey i didn't know you brother had such nice lips, ed
IYKYK

Skidmark

« Reply #2182 on: April 06, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »
Does your back hurt on one side more than the other? 
both sides around this area:

« Reply #2183 on: April 07, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »
It's normal for your erector spinae muscles to be sore since squatting involves the slight bowing of your back.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2184 on: April 08, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
Stopped at the gas station on the way home.  Bought a soda for the first time since before Christmas.  It was by a local company that I love and love to drink.

It tasted god-awful.  I poured it out.  Stupid water.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:44:14 AM by andrwfields »
WTF

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2185 on: April 09, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »
So the weather here is finally starting to get really nice, and I guess I've got the itch to do some outdoorsy stuff.  I asked some of my local friends on Facebook if they knew of any local trails I could hike without getting shot at for stumbling into a pot patch, and they all laughed at me.   :'(

Any suggestions?  Or do I just need to drive to the well-established trails in other counties?  The closest one I know of is at least 45 minutes away...
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2186 on: April 09, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »
Stopped at the gas station on the way home.  Bought a soda for the first time since before Christmas.  It was by a local company that I love and love to drink.

It tasted god-awful.  I poured it out.  Stupid water.

Weird, isn't it. I can't even finish an apple now! Just bear that in mind the next time someone fat tells you 'oh i couldn't live without xxx' and soon you will be a Paleo zealot like me!
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2187 on: April 09, 2011, 09:08:13 PM »
I won't lie, I'm still a fiend for fruit.  I don't gobble it down all day or anything, but I at least have one serving of it a day.  I know it's not the greatest, but I still love it. 

Could I live without it?  Sure.  I just don't choose to.  But I am starting to go with healthier fruits like berries over apples.  I usually combine some frozen berries with a little bit of half-n-half and some protein powder for a smoothie.  :drool

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I was watching some of the old MDA videos on Youtube earlier today and found Tony Horton!?!?!  I never knew the two used to be associated.   :o
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2188 on: April 09, 2011, 10:53:50 PM »
I doubt you can find many people in the US who dislike fruit or smoothies, but the point i'm trying to make here is that what you 'love' is not any kind of indication of what is good for you. You cannot trust the messages your body sends the brain until you get out of a state of hormonal derangement. As long as you're on the crack, you will feel better when you take crack, and you will 'love' it. Similarly, you will feel run down and hungry until you get your fructose or glucose fix, then you feel better for a little while, then slide back into that 'low on fuel' lethargy. Cigarettes, caffeine, sugar, crack...it all works the same way.

I'm perfectly aware that crack is much more harmful to the health than a fruit smoothie of course - i'm just making a point about the similar nature of the psychology and physiology of addiction here. Having said that, fruit is at least a useful step in the right direction if the alternative is junk snacks like chips and cookies. It at least gets you into the grocery store regularly, and isn't stuffed with nasty colorings, preservatives etc. But you don't need it in any way, and if you are trying to lose weight, it has to go, sorry.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2189 on: April 09, 2011, 11:10:18 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more!  It's not anything I need by any means.  I just like it.  I am cutting it back a lot though, and probably will cut it out all together.  I'm a lot better than what I was originally doing (having it two or three times a day), and saying that I have it at least once a day may be an overstatement, but it's not too far off.  For me, it's a slow process and not one of those cold turkey things.  I don't want to relapse on it or anything like that.
WTF

cool breeze

« Reply #2190 on: April 09, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
I can give up crack, cigarettes and sugar easily...but caffeine? aw hell naw

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2191 on: April 09, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
It's hard to make a mental decision to say 'no, I'm not having this thing that I love anymore' so I think the gradual approach works best too. That's how I did it (and am still doing it with other things, like booze. Pretty much down to only limited amounts of red wine at this point but it remains a vice). You just need to plant the seed of doubt first, which leads to increased observation and experimentation. When you gather enough data to convince yourself, you will naturally shy away from stuff you know is bad. It can be a very organic process. I don't think it needs to be, but it depends on how motivated you are.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2192 on: April 09, 2011, 11:21:53 PM »
I can give up crack, cigarettes and sugar easily...but caffeine? aw hell naw

because you don't want to. And why would you want to? It's so cheap and available as to be practically free. People literally GIVE IT AWAY anywhere you go. If you ever feel the slightest craving for it, you can easily satisfy it. If there were giant heaps of cocaine just lying around, everyone would be a cocaine addict and no-one would ever want to give it up. That's our situation with caffeine.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2193 on: April 09, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
It's hard to make a mental decision to say 'no, I'm not having this thing that I love anymore' so I think the gradual approach works best too. That's how I did it (and am still doing it with other things, like booze. Pretty much down to only limited amounts of red wine at this point but it remains a vice). You just need to plant the seed of doubt first, which leads to increased observation and experimentation. When you gather enough data to convince yourself, you will naturally shy away from stuff you know is bad. It can be a very organic process. I don't think it needs to be, but it depends on how motivated you are.

You gave up beer?  :o
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2194 on: April 09, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »
Mostly. I don't buy it anymore. I have some friends who are hugely into the whole craft beer scene so they always push me to go to those places. It messes me up though, so i rarely have more than one or two and always regret it afterward.  At home, I only have red wine or whiskey now. I used to always have beer in the fridge so that's a major change.
vjj

cool breeze

« Reply #2195 on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »
Really, I only drink tea daily.  Coffee maybe one or two cups a week (on the days when I'm working for ~11 hours).

I've never thought of caffeine to be bad unless you're injecting it into your veins all day to stay awake.

actually, I've been curious about how you guys handle milk, if at all.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2196 on: April 09, 2011, 11:44:24 PM »
I haven't had milk in about two months. Im not against it really unless you're trying to lose weight because imo as far as nutrition goes its really only useful in gaining weight. There's a lot of health debate regarding milk so its pretty much a personal choice as is most dairy.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2197 on: April 09, 2011, 11:47:53 PM »
I had meant to mention this earlier, but milk has had a rather odd effect on me.

I don't consume nearly as much dairy as I used to.  No more than a serving a day, if that.  I used to have it all the time, though.  I would drink a glass in the morning, have a yogurt or some kind of dairy dessert in the evening, with items covered in cheeses throughout the day (yeah, I was really fucking unhealthy with the stuff).  It never really bothered me either.

Now, if I have more than one serving, or have too much of something like milk during the day, my digestive tract gets all sorts of fucked up.  I'm not right for days afterwards!

Did I make myself slightly lactose intolerant?
WTF

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2198 on: April 09, 2011, 11:50:01 PM »
God I miss cheese.  After this cut you can guaranfuckintee that I'll be adding cheese back to my diet. I've had it during cheat meals and its still a fucking blessing. But I can't seem to lose weight with it in my diet

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2199 on: April 10, 2011, 12:40:54 AM »
Mostly. I don't buy it anymore. I have some friends who are hugely into the whole craft beer scene so they always push me to go to those places. It messes me up though, so i rarely have more than one or two and always regret it afterward.  At home, I only have red wine or whiskey now. I used to always have beer in the fridge so that's a major change.

You mention whiskey, my wife brings me this:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

:hyper  :hyper  :hyper
[close]
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2200 on: April 10, 2011, 01:43:19 AM »
I had meant to mention this earlier, but milk has had a rather odd effect on me.

I don't consume nearly as much dairy as I used to.  No more than a serving a day, if that.  I used to have it all the time, though.  I would drink a glass in the morning, have a yogurt or some kind of dairy dessert in the evening, with items covered in cheeses throughout the day (yeah, I was really fucking unhealthy with the stuff).  It never really bothered me either.

Now, if I have more than one serving, or have too much of something like milk during the day, my digestive tract gets all sorts of fucked up.  I'm not right for days afterwards!

Did I make myself slightly lactose intolerant?

Lactose is just another sugar. Think about it.
vjj

Rman

« Reply #2201 on: April 10, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
Yeah, paleo really rewires your digestive tract.  Or as Robb Wolf would say, heal it.  Beer gives me a huge stomach ache.  Wine and tequila are fine though.  :D

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2202 on: April 11, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
Yeah, paleo really rewires your digestive tract.  Or as Robb Wolf would say, heal it.  Beer gives me a huge stomach ache.  Wine and tequila are fine though.  :D

Key part of that sentence.  And speaking of which, I only made it to the gym twice last week after looking in my log book.  I almost felt guilty about it if it weren't for the 4 lbs I lost last week...

I'm officially down 45 lbs.  I want that extra five so bad it's not even funny.  I'm going to work really hard this week.  :punch

Also, went to the gym this morning (after working 12 hours) after being absent a few days and had one of the best workouts I've had in a long time.  Does that happen to anyone else or is it just a fluke?
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2203 on: April 11, 2011, 09:21:45 AM »
of course - you've had more time to recover from the last workout. There is a curve of course - leave it too long between workouts and you will de-train. But in general, a couple of days rest should leave you feeling great and ready to kick ass on your next workout.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2204 on: April 11, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
I think this has been one of the longest times in between workouts I've had this year.  I don't usually let it go more than a couple of days!
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2205 on: April 12, 2011, 02:05:02 AM »
Had an awesome Paleo lunch today, give it a shot. Avocadoes are back in season here (after about a 6 month offseason) so I was keen to get some.

Avocado /bacon / eggs Mash:
Makes approx 2 servings:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon
- 4 hard-boiled eggs

And the meat:
- one chicken breast (grilled with a herb crust in this case...)

Simply mash up the eggs, avocadoes and crumble in the bacon. I poured in the fat from the skillet but you may not wanna go that far  :lol  I seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper, that's it. Normally I'd have squeezed some lemon juice on there but I tasted it and it was fine without.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2206 on: April 12, 2011, 05:58:50 AM »
Had an awesome Paleo lunch today, give it a shot. Avocadoes are back in season here (after about a 6 month offseason) so I was keen to get some.

Avocado /bacon / eggs Mash:
Makes approx 2 servings:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 strips thick-cut bacon
- 4 hard-boiled eggs

And the meat:
- one chicken breast (grilled with a herb crust in this case...)

Simply mash up the eggs, avocadoes and crumble in the bacon. I poured in the fat from the skillet but you may not wanna go that far  :lol  I seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper, that's it. Normally I'd have squeezed some lemon juice on there but I tasted it and it was fine without.

This is one hard part about going paleo/primal for me.  I hate avocadoes.   :yuck 

It's the texture and taste of them both.  I don't even like guacamole because of avocadoes.  It's hard because practically all of the better recipes call for them.
WTF

Skidmark

« Reply #2207 on: April 12, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
Benched my body weight  :-*

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2208 on: April 12, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
Benched my body weight  :-*
8) Congrats, dude!

it feels good.  I finally did it a few weeks ago.

Beezy

« Reply #2209 on: April 12, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
How many reps are you guys doing when you're benching? I've been going to my school's gym for the past month now, but I hardly mess with that because I'm usually by myself.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #2210 on: April 12, 2011, 04:59:57 PM »
How many reps are you guys doing when you're benching? I've been going to my school's gym for the past month now, but I hardly mess with that because I'm usually by myself.
5 sets of 5 is my standard that I judge by.

If I can do that, move on. If I can't, deload 10% after a few tries.  When I deload I usually do 7-8 reps on the low end and closer to the high end I stay at 5x5.

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #2211 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »

If I can do that, move on. If I can't, deload 10% after a few tries.  When I deload I usually do 7-8 reps on the low end and closer to the high end I stay at 5x5.

I've been doing 3 sets of 10 for the past few months, but I'm thinking about switching to 5x5
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2212 on: April 12, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »

I've been doing 3 sets of 10 for the past few months, but I'm thinking about switching to 5x5

Stop thinking and do it.

And skip benching and squat and deadlift instead
vjj

« Reply #2213 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:37 PM »

5x5 is predominately a strength/power improvement routine. If you want to develop popcorn muscles, you'll need to do more reps.

Beezy

« Reply #2214 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:29 PM »
Popcorn muscles? :lol

Thanks, I'll try out 5x5.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2215 on: April 12, 2011, 11:30:44 PM »
I metaphorically extend my toothpick arms and give you DAP, Beezy
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #2216 on: April 12, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
 ;)

I'm gonna start out low though since I don't have anyone to spot me.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2217 on: April 12, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
in that case, ditching bench and doing squats, deadlifts and shoulder presses makes even more sense. No need for a spot there.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #2218 on: April 12, 2011, 11:45:17 PM »
I don't know the right forms. Not trying to hurt myself.

Actually the shoulder press looks pretty simple. I can try that.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #2219 on: April 12, 2011, 11:57:57 PM »
Bench press is one of the easiest lifts to injure oneself with, actually. It creates really weird pressures on very small muscles, unlike deadlift or the squat. And you are highly unlikely to get rotator cuff issues doing the shoulder press.
vjj