Author Topic: FitnessBore - 2018 edition  (Read 816960 times)

Beezy

Re: FitnessBore - 2012 edition
« Reply #4320 on: September 08, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
You've been doing paleo/primal too, Toxic?

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4321 on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »
Weighed in at 188 this morning after running my first 5k run ever. That's 43 lbs lost after 4 months. Just 8 more to go.

My 5k time was 30.08. Not my best, but the weather was shit.

:bow grats man
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4322 on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:59 PM »
http://www.mapmywalk.com/routes/view/134023429

i went way further on my key hiking trail today. I lucked out - beautiful, windy, saturday no one there so I could hike in shame :). but I turned down a bit in cuz lol that trail is fucking hard and long
USA

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #4323 on: September 08, 2012, 05:33:39 PM »
two moments of horror yesterday -

ever since i got back from the UK i've just been in a "ah fuck it" attitude. Diet largely gone to shit, but still not drinking, walking or running to work each day, 2hrs futsal bi-weekly etc - so fitness seems fine. I was aware i was getting a "little out of shape"...

but fuck me... yesterday i had to go to a wedding. I didn't try on my suit because, hey, it was perfectly fine a few months back. err. Pants were fine but the shirt was about 2 inches too small.

later on that night , while dressed in an all in one blue body suit (don't ask) - the resulting photos were an amusing wake up call as i look like a pregnant smurf.

Time for some focus.
O=X

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #4324 on: September 08, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »

Nope. Just quit drinking soda, fast food, started eating smaller portions and quit eating after 8pm. Too hard for me to follow a strict(er) diet with a family.

:bow grats man

Thanks!

Beezy

« Reply #4325 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:03 PM »

Nope. Just quit drinking soda, fast food, started eating smaller portions and quit eating after 8pm. Too hard for me to follow a strict(er) diet with a family.
That's all? Good shit.

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4326 on: September 08, 2012, 09:34:36 PM »
That ... and forcing myself to stand all day at work and working out/cardio 2 hrs a day/5 days a week.

:p

-- // --

Holy shit ...

But what does overheating have to do with fatigue in the first place?

Much of the lab's recent research can be summed up with Grahn's statement that "temperature is a primary limiting factor for performance." But the researchers were at a loss to understand why until recently.

In 2009, it was discovered that muscle pyruvate kinase, or MPK, an enzyme that muscles need in order to generate chemical energy, was highly temperature- sensitive. At normal body temperature, the enzyme is active – but as temperatures rise, some of the enzyme begins to deform into the inactive state. By the time muscle temperatures near 104 degrees Fahrenheit, MPK activity completely shuts down.

There's a very good biological reason for this shutdown. As a muscle cell increases its activity, it heats up. But if this process continues for too long, the cell will self-destruct. By shutting itself down below a critical temperature threshold, MPK serves as an elegant self-regulation system for the muscle.

"Your muscle cells are saying, "You can't work that hard anymore, because if you do you're going to cook and die,'" Grahn said.

When you cool the muscle cell, you return the enzyme to the active state, essentially resetting the muscle's state of fatigue.

The version of the device that will be made available commercially is still being tweaked, but the researchers see applications for heat extraction in areas more important than a simple performance boost. Hyperthermia and heat stress don't just lead to fatigue – they can become medical emergencies.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:08:52 PM by ToxicAdam »

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #4327 on: September 08, 2012, 10:08:35 PM »
i've ground down to 182, and i run 4 miles 3 days and do an hour of strength the alternating 3 days. (i take saturdays or sundays off.) it's become so routine it's weird NOT to do it. however, carpal tunnel has really hurt my upper body workout this last two weeks. :-( tomorrow morning i'mma wrap the fuck out of my wrist and try to work through the pain.
duc

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #4328 on: September 08, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
Weighed in at 188 this morning after running my first 5k run ever. That's 43 lbs lost after 4 months. Just 8 more to go.

My 5k time was 30.08. Not my best, but the weather was shit.

Great job!
🍆🍆

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4329 on: September 08, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
If the XFE in a Smurf suit doesn't warrant pictures...I don't know what the hell the internet is even FOR anymore
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #4330 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »
 :lol

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4331 on: September 09, 2012, 03:17:59 PM »
going to get my first (albeit babby) steps of the appalachian trail tomorrow :)
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4332 on: September 12, 2012, 12:33:17 AM »
I'm on day three of this Carb Back-loading protocol I mentioned above. It is, as advertised, STUPID simple to stick to, at least for me. I've been eating low carb/paleo/primal for so long that this is just a tweak in the direction of eating more like a regular human for one evening meal, which makes life easier in many ways.

I have no idea whether it will actually work as advertised. The theory is convincing and it seems properly backed-up. But it is promising something that just seems impossible - simultaneous muscle / strength gains with fat loss AND the ability to eat carbs and even junk food in large quantities daily. So far I've kept the carbs to ripe bananas and white rice...may branch out from there if it seems to be working.

So i'm going to have to keep close track of body fat, waist circumference and weight for a while. Should be fun. The workouts will be pretty simple, based on what is convenient for me to do in the timeframe he suggests (5-6pm) kettlebells and deadlifts mostly.
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #4333 on: September 12, 2012, 02:55:35 AM »
let us know because i'm kind of curious

the past 3 days i've been carb backloading as well.  found some pumpkin cider.  it's a poor replacement but pumpkin beer, but what you gonna do?
Tonya

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4334 on: September 12, 2012, 04:28:14 AM »
It'll likely be weeks before I can really say anything definitive about the results. And even then, there is this pronounced tendency for any substantive change in diet or exercise regime to bring about immediate results, even veganism and jogging, before plateauing again. That's all the window of belief-suspension a shyster needs to hawk his wares...still, early indications are pretty good!
vjj

DCharlieJP

• the ex-XFE, now 3rd in-line for SFE
  • Icon
« Reply #4335 on: September 13, 2012, 11:58:00 AM »
:( - I'm curious as to what the time requirement is for the run portion?
O=X

Bebpo

« Reply #4336 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:17 AM »
Just woke up at 4:30am to go work out at a boot camp.

Problem is I can't get to sleep until midnight-1am.

fffffuuuuuu this is early

Bebpo

« Reply #4337 on: September 17, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
Ok, that went well.  FEELIN' REFRESHED

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4338 on: September 19, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
Are you doing any sprints or just long runs?
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4339 on: September 20, 2012, 12:19:24 AM »
even 50m sprints will help a lot. You don't need to do crazy volume either - that's a sure path to burnout (remember DC embarking on his 10 min tabata sprint program? Have we got any updates on that recently DC? :lol)
vjj

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4340 on: September 21, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
Got my first 5 mile race tomorrow night. It's supposed to rain. :/

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4341 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »
wrote a bunch of stuff after getting quizzed on how to eat:

http://cormacaroni.tumblr.com/post/31965551688/how-do-you-eat-paleo-primal-in-japan
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4342 on: September 21, 2012, 04:31:34 AM »
Coffee is tricky because there isn't a bunch of good information on most stuff you find in stores. Generally, I try to avoid blends and get stuff which is as fresh as possible. There is an international certification process for this which is quite exacting - the Q grade stuff I linked to is the highest standard they have AFAIK. It's not noticeably more expensive than the other beans the same roaster sells, and it tastes awesome.

The big problem as I understand it is mold. Many places dry coffee beans out in the open, on tarps. That exposes them to all sorts of contamination. Some of that gets zapped by the roasting process, some of it doesn't. The more types of bean there are in the blend, the higher risk there is of some of that being moldy, because of course they step on the good shit with the cheap, leftover rat poison shit as much as they can get away with.

It took me a little while to get used to 'cause my previous preference was for dark French roasts mostly, but the Q Grade stuff is incredibly smooth, no nasty aftertastes and no jitters even if I go up to 4-plus strong cups a day.

I'm super pro-coffee - it does a bunch of things, from suppressing appetite, to stimulating fat burning, to giving more energy for workouts (actually, this is BECAUSE it stimulates fat-burning...). A couple of cups of good coffee with some coconut milk or unsalted butter fends off early morning hunger pangs, and keeps you sharp and focused and burning fat...and it's fucking COFFEE so who cares about all this crap I just wrote anyway :lol

I eat walnuts sometimes, love the taste...bit wary of the omegas so I don't go too crazy with them. I buy more macadamias than walnuts.

The one big omission from my shopping list there was yoghurt but I think i mentioned it elsewhere. One of these days I'll try cutting it out entirely for a while because I can never stop from eating the whole 400g tub once I open it and that's probably too much :lol  I love the convenience of it though - when you normally have to cook every meal, sometimes you want to just grab a spoon and start eating quick. I usually have some blueberries, nuts or some other fruit with it...sometimes almond butter too.

I definitely cook with bacon fat. I am so fucking lazy that I don't even reserve it...I just leave it in the baking tray and throw the fresh food on top of it usually.

But of course, that list is mostly just reflective of what I want to eat, rather than what I think everyone needs to eat. I've seen people do a pretty solid-looking Paleo diet out of entirely 'Japanese' ingredients like natto, tuna, seaweed etc...

vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4343 on: September 21, 2012, 05:29:47 AM »
It might take a while to dig something up but don't panic...there is plenty of the stuff out there. The Bulletproof Exec guy is hawking his own coffee, which is likely overpriced but might be worth a flyer on. Bear in mind that I've been a coffee nut for decades...you may not notice any difference.
vjj

Groogrux

• Unofficial Bore Prude
« Reply #4344 on: September 24, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »
I suggest asking your local shop where their coffee comes from, who roasts it, and how old it is before it gets to you.  If you buy it by the pound though, it should have a date on the bag.  I'm mostly picky about my coffee.  I love stuff that comes out of Africa.  It has that nutty and subtle favor to it that just tastes so good.  And yeah, don't buy blends.  They suck and you never really know what's getting thrown in there.

Cormac, how does the favor change with adding unsalted butter to your coffee?  I've never even considered doing that.  I'm mostly a whole milk and little bit of sugar guy, but if this is the next big thing in taste, I may be willing to try.  Elaborate on the taste, how you add it, and how much.
WTF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4345 on: September 24, 2012, 02:37:10 AM »
It's not wildly different from a cappuccino really, just richer and more buttery and not as frothy. Usually I froth it up a bit with one of those little battery-powered frothers. Sometimes I add a pinch of cinnamon. It tastes pretty awesome but I can't say I prefer it to just plain black coffee. I dig both really. As for volume, just put about enough for a centimenter or so at the bottom of the cup when melted (this is about how much milk or cream you'd use).
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4346 on: September 24, 2012, 02:37:44 AM »
if i wasn't in the middle of a cup right now, i'd make some and upload a pic or two. Next time!
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4347 on: September 24, 2012, 09:33:11 AM »
you guys and yoru gourmet coffee while i'm sitting here drinking folgers  :'(
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4348 on: September 24, 2012, 09:40:08 AM »
Also im surprised you listed eating potatoes in your lunch thing; I thought those weren't paleo  ???
USA

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4349 on: September 24, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
oh and do you have a good recipe for your thai curry thanks  :-[
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4350 on: September 24, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
Potatoes are fine but they're a ton of calories and it's very easy to over-eat with them. Growing up, i'd eat 5 big spuds with dinner every night. I'd be 400lbs if I did that now.

Thai curry is a piece of piss if you use the pre-made paste. Just follow the sample recipes on the side of the carton to start, then experiment. Definitely use fresh ginger, garlic and herbs (especially cilantro and basil) if you can though.
vjj

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4351 on: September 24, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
hmm maybe i should stop feeling guilty about potatoes though. for some reason I read that just one bite of a potato alone is like..20 carbs and like you said a shit load of calories

ive made curry chicken before except I can never get it to have like a taste; it usually ahs a curry bite to it but thats all  :'(
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4352 on: September 24, 2012, 10:26:20 PM »
So much depends on what your body comp is and what you are eating them for. I am relatively lean and can eat things like potatoes or rice semi-regularly without ballooning. That was not always the case, and even now I have to be careful with them. It's only really people who are at like 8% BF all the time and doing demanding glycoltic activity regularly that can deal with a large amount of carbs on a daily basis. Or the people who eat a low-fat, low-calorie diet I guess but we don't talk about them in here. YMMV.

At the moment, I'm eating potatoes/rice etc only after lifting heavy, as part of this Carb Backloading protocol. It seems to be working out pretty well so far, although all the booze last week around TGS threw everything out of wack.
vjj

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4353 on: September 26, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »
Sorry, I'm a noob on nutrition but don't you want to eat carbs before heavy lifting? Doing it after just means you are more likely to store it as fat.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4354 on: September 26, 2012, 02:17:59 AM »
Sorry, I'm a noob on nutrition but don't you want to eat carbs before heavy lifting? Doing it after just means you are more likely to store it as fat.

(Heavy) weight training induces a powerful insulin resistance effect that gives you a window where the carbs will not get stored as fat. Also, there's no real point in eating them before training because they take 2-3 hrs to digest and hit your bloodstream anyway. I could go on but yeah, unless you are glycogen-depleted BEFORE you start training (i.e. you are on a ketogenic diet or doing masses and masses of glycolytic activity all the time, like say Lance Armstrong or Michael Phelps) you don't need pre-workout carbs.

Also, as soon as you eat carbs, insulin will release and tell your body to stop burning fat. Assuming you like to burn fat, you want that state to persist as long as possible. 
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4355 on: September 26, 2012, 03:19:18 AM »
http://www.unrxpodcast.com/episode-27-kiefer/

Interview with the Carb Backloading guy (Kiefer), really crazy stuff. I'm still obsessed with this.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4356 on: September 26, 2012, 03:32:40 AM »
I mean, this is a group of hardcore nutrition dudes talking about the mad doughnuts they are going to eat
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4357 on: September 26, 2012, 03:43:37 AM »
Question. I have two 10 lb. dumb bells, and I don't have access to a gym with proper, REAL equipment, so I'm sorta limited in what I can do right now. So I get that I won't get bigger by curling with these dumb bells, but is it a good idea for me to simply increase the reps?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4358 on: September 26, 2012, 03:48:26 AM »
I would put the time you'd spend curling 10lbs into overtime at work or something to buy a barbell or a kettlebell maybe. They're really cheap, especially 2nd hand. I'm sure you can find someone wanting to ditch a weight set on craigslist or ebay for nothing. 10lbs isn't enough of a stimulus to growth or anything else I'm afraid. I mean, that's about what most vacuum cleaners weigh - do you think your mom is getting ripped from dragging it behind her all day?
vjj

Oblivion

« Reply #4359 on: September 26, 2012, 03:53:56 AM »
Good point.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4360 on: September 26, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
Oblivion: You could probably still benefit from a bodyweight routine in the meantime.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4361 on: September 26, 2012, 10:46:47 AM »
Him and everybody else
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #4362 on: September 26, 2012, 11:07:10 AM »
Oblivion: You could probably still benefit from a bodyweight routine in the meantime.
True. I still struggle to get past 35 push ups of any type.

Oblivion

« Reply #4363 on: September 27, 2012, 03:18:47 AM »

You mean like pushups and pullups and that type of stuff?

Beezy

« Reply #4364 on: September 27, 2012, 08:24:09 AM »
yes

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #4365 on: September 27, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »

You mean like pushups and pullups and that type of stuff?
Yes, sir.  Squats, dips, lunges, etc too.

MyNameIsMethodis

• QUIT
  • Ebola Carrier
« Reply #4366 on: September 27, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »
got really high and a bad case of the munchies. eat a 1/4th of a box of cheesenips and a peanut butter and wheat bread sandwich  :'( :'( :'( :'(

all because I was out of almonds  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
USA

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4367 on: September 27, 2012, 07:49:32 PM »
we all become the thing we hate most eh, biz
vjj

Eric P

• I DESERVE the gold. I will GET the gold!
  • Icon
« Reply #4368 on: September 27, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »
i am down another size.  almost into Medium shirts.  almost...
Tonya

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4369 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »

(Heavy) weight training induces a powerful insulin resistance effect that gives you a window where the carbs will not get stored as fat.s.

Also, as soon as you eat carbs, insulin will release and tell your body to stop burning fat. Assuming you like to burn fat, you want that state to persist as long as possible. 

Thanks for the info.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4370 on: September 28, 2012, 12:22:13 AM »
i am down another size.  almost into Medium shirts.  almost...

hardly worth buying Mediums at this rate! :rock
vjj

ToxicAdam

« Reply #4371 on: September 29, 2012, 12:28:42 AM »
Good work Biz. Your traps and shoulders have gained a lot.

Beezy

« Reply #4372 on: September 29, 2012, 02:51:08 AM »
fucking monster

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4373 on: September 29, 2012, 02:55:16 AM »
Question, is frying an egg with an olive oil pan spray is as nutritionally good as boiling or poaching an egg oh my god biz.
Unzip

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4374 on: September 29, 2012, 02:56:05 AM »
If only my advice worked so well for me :lol
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4375 on: September 29, 2012, 02:57:47 AM »
Question, is frying an egg with an olive oil pan spray is as nutritionally good as boiling or poaching an egg oh my god biz.

Frankly, I think you just sprayed enough protein to skip the eggs Shaka
vjj

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4376 on: September 29, 2012, 03:05:48 AM »
Sarcasm flies over my head at this hour of day, but I'm reading the nutritional facts of the bottle and literally every source including calories is at 0% lol it reads like death oh god still fanning my vagina.
Unzip

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4377 on: September 29, 2012, 03:15:59 AM »
All I can think about now is following some of the more detailed instructions by Cormac lol. I recently went back to my regular low card diet a month ago* and started going to the nearby kickboxing gym. I lost 18 pounds and I'm feeling better than ever, but thanks to biz, now I feel it's not nearly enough. As soon as I hit my target (10 more pounds) I'm going to kick it up a notch. You better have time for me, Cormac.

*(which he encouraged me to do a year ago. Still haven't gained that weight back yet)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:48:26 AM by Shaka Khan »
Unzip

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #4378 on: September 29, 2012, 03:19:22 AM »
oh, that was a serious question? In that case, don't spray the pan - POUR olive oil into it, then melt a pat of butter on top of that. Only then does one think about adding eggs. The more fat is in there, the better it will taste and the easier it will be to cook (much less chance of it sticking, assuming you aren't using teflon, which you shouldn't be...)

Olive oil by itself doesn't actually taste great with eggs...much prefer butter or ghee myself. Or bacon fat.
vjj

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #4379 on: September 29, 2012, 03:21:20 AM »
You literally give my life more flavor :heart
Unzip