Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3044272 times)

ParanoidRED

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #18600 on: October 25, 2017, 06:44:46 AM »
I don't know what to play. Everything feels boring.

Things i would like: RPGs like Dragon age:origins, CC strategy games, Spyro, a gran turismo with campaign and interesting walking simulators etc...
Maybe try sonething different like Until Dawn?

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #18601 on: October 25, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
Man I just want Portal 3. Maybe I need to play more of the second one, it's a great game and the online co-op campaign is fun. I was just years late so no one plays it anymore.

Don't mean to make this sound like another HL3, but what are the odds we'll get Portal 3?

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #18602 on: October 25, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
I just noticed that Rutger Hauer and Kurtwood Smith both appeared in Rambo 3 for Genesis for apparently no reason whatsoever.  They weren’t in the film.  Dafuq?

Kurtwood Smith actually is.  No idea why they used Rutger Hauer though. (Edit: I guess he had a scene as one of the guerillas that was deleted)

I remember those digitized graphics were pretty mindblowing at the time.  Fun game too, though I usually cheese my way through it by using the partial invincibility glitch.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 09:44:18 AM by porkbun »

« Reply #18603 on: October 25, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Man I just want Portal 3. Maybe I need to play more of the second one, it's a great game and the online co-op campaign is fun. I was just years late so no one plays it anymore.

Don't mean to make this sound like another HL3, but what are the odds we'll get Portal 3?

I'm coming to terms with the fact that Valve is never making another decent game again

Unless they find a way to monetize heavily on hats and weapon skins I doubt we're ever getting another Portal and I'm really sad

Jerry

« Reply #18604 on: October 25, 2017, 10:11:46 AM »
I think something could still come out of valve, but it will likely be a VR game used to sell their gen 2 headsets
COYS

Para-Medic

« Reply #18605 on: October 25, 2017, 11:06:02 AM »
Just a quick hype check so I can maybe figure out who might be willing to play online...

Anybody else hyped for Girls Und Panzer on the PS4? It will have a Japanese and Asian-English release. I'm a huge fan of the anime, and WW2 tanks in general.

Let me also take a sentence to rep Bullet Girls: Phantasia. Japanese and Asian-English version will be available on Vita/PS4 early 2018.

studyguy

« Reply #18606 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:23 AM »
Just a quick hype check so I can maybe figure out who might be willing to play online...

Anybody else hyped for Girls Und Panzer on the PS4? It will have a Japanese and Asian-English release. I'm a huge fan of the anime, and WW2 tanks in general.

Let me also take a sentence to rep Bullet Girls: Phantasia. Japanese and Asian-English version will be available on Vita/PS4 early 2018.

The only anime girl simulator I'm playing right now is Fate/Go, I'm considering getting a vita to play all my weebshit games though since they're dirt cheap these days.
pause

Para-Medic

« Reply #18607 on: October 25, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »

The only anime girl simulator I'm playing right now is Fate/Go, I'm considering getting a vita to play all my weebshit games though since they're dirt cheap these days.

Fate/GO ruined the franchise for me tbh. The whole universe kinda just feels so selloutish now. I'm really hoping they don't fuck up the Tsukihime remake (NEVER EVER btw) too bad because than I will have to cut all ties with Type-Moon.  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not mad because I couldn't keep up with all the character goods like figures and phonestraps or anything, b-baka! I mean, I could but then I wouldn't have money for games.
[close]

studyguy

« Reply #18608 on: October 25, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »

Fate/GO ruined the franchise for me tbh. The whole universe kinda just feels so selloutish now. I'm really hoping they don't fuck up the Tsukihime remake (NEVER EVER btw) too bad because than I will have to cut all ties with Type-Moon.  :-\

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm not mad because I couldn't keep up with all the character goods like figures and phonestraps or anything, b-baka! I mean, I could but then I wouldn't have money for games.
[close]

You know why you came to this franchise in the first place, we all do, and it wasn't cause you were a shellfish enthusiast.
 :bolo

I get your meaning though, they jumped the ship ages ago though and FATE/GO blew up so huge there's no turning back.
pause

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18609 on: October 25, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »

Things i would like: RPGs like Dragon age:origins, CC strategy games, Spyro, a gran turismo with campaign and interesting walking simulators etc...

You should play Divinity: Original Sin 2. It's one of the best old-school RPGs in ages and it'll keep you occupied for a good, long while. And you don't need to have played the previous game to know what's going on.
dog

studyguy

« Reply #18610 on: October 25, 2017, 02:22:56 PM »
Divinity 2 with friends is probably some of the most enjoyable gametime I've had this year.
pause

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #18611 on: October 25, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »

Have you played any of the Ys franchise?
^_^

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18612 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »

H.I.V.E.

« Reply #18613 on: October 26, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »
I think something could still come out of valve, but it will likely be a VR game used to sell their gen 2 headsets

Of course half life 3. Or VR support for their new card game.

Bulleta©™®

• is probably playing some game
« Reply #18614 on: October 26, 2017, 01:10:24 AM »
Divinity 2 with friends is probably some of the most enjoyable gametime I've had this year.

I'm enjoying it aside from even on the lowest settings it runs like molasses. I just turned shadows off, that is supposed to help. Any other game is fine on medium/high, but not this.

Marhunchy

« Reply #18615 on: October 26, 2017, 12:27:00 PM »

You should play Divinity: Original Sin 2. It's one of the best old-school RPGs in ages and it'll keep you occupied for a good, long while. And you don't need to have played the previous game to know what's going on.

qft

they're dropping another big patch today that hopefully will iron out the remaining bugs

CHOW CHOW

• Iconzzzzz.... zzzzz
« Reply #18616 on: October 27, 2017, 02:19:56 AM »
Help me

I’m having a hard time deciding between PS4, Xbox X, and Switch.  These factors come into play:

- I have a 7 year old brother so it needs some solid kids games (Switch wins this one?)

- I’m social and like online multi-player, co-op, and GAAS loot games (PS4 & X win)

- I have a big 4k TV and would enjoy taking advantage of it (Xbox X win)

- I want to play Mario and some of the future Switch exclusive Weaboo games

- Third party games seem amazing and Switch is lacking

- 5-8 hours per week play time

- System with good odds of demi accepting my friend request
hey

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #18617 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:20 AM »

You're gonna have problems there, then. :doge I dunno of Nintendo's patching systems, but you'll probably be getting frequent (once a month or so) firmware update on the other two (though X-box less frequently unless that's changed) and game patches (depending on how many you own) can eat up time if your internet connection sucks.

I know someone that has no internet connection that bought an X-box and after me downloading (on my crappy connection) for around 23 hours the firmware update and game, they could play Madden offline. So uh... I guess you can go that route if you don't mind some glitches or the game(s) aren't completely fucked up/rushed out the door with game-killing glitches.

Para-Medic

« Reply #18618 on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:02 AM »
Help me

I’m having a hard time deciding between PS4, Xbox X, and Switch.  These factors come into play:

- I have a 7 year old brother so it needs some solid kids games (Switch wins this one?)

- I’m social and like online multi-player, co-op, and GAAS loot games (PS4 & X win)

I'm a huge PlayStation fan, but by your own parameters it sounds like you need both a Switch and the One X.

PS4 Pro is a definite upgrade, I have a 4k TV too, but the reality is that Microsoft's One X will be able to consistently nail higher and more stable resolutions than Pro. Most Social/GAAS are multiplat so you would be covered there, and in time Switch will have a decent weeb library. 

Demi said previously he's mostly an Xbox guy if you're serious about the last part lol.

Corporal

« Reply #18619 on: October 27, 2017, 05:11:09 AM »
Oh boy! A chance to rant! I'm so there!

I'm sorry, as a Nintendo fanboy I'm contractually obligated to recommend you get a Switch, chow chow.

Seriously though, just how much do you want to play Nintendo exclusives? That's kind of the first question you need to ask yourself. If you can't do without Mario/Zelda/FE/other Nintendo franchises (and the odd exclusive third party game), then your choice has already been made for you. No need to even consider the other two.

Personally, I enjoy the mobile aspect of the Switch, playing during my daily commute or whenever I have a bit of time during breaks is great. Depending on how much time you spend on the go or commuting, this might also be something for you to mull over.

Next is the Japanese/weeaboo stuff. You a fan? Nintendo might have a Vita successor at their hands, and the console is region free. So that's kind of a huge plus in their favour, provided Japanese Devs continue to find success on the system - which is not guaranteed by any means.
If you came out from the above issues without a decision for Nintendo, then go with Sony, can't really go wrong there, although theirs technically is a region locked system. MS has practically given up on that front after decades of anaemic at best sales, so don't get an Xbone if that's what you're after.

Are you outside of the US? Be aware that you will be a second class citizen on MS systems. It's not egregious, but ever so often you will notice a lack of content, features or support, more so than with the competition. Whether that even bothers you is a matter of personal preference.

Otherwise, how proud are you of that 4K screen of yours? Currently, only the Xbone X will come close to pushing enough pixels for the full 4K experience, barely. A PS4Pro will always be just a bit behind unless Sony spends the big bucks. *cough*getagamingPCifthatsreallyimportanttoyou*cough*
Also: If you want to max out your 4Kitude, a switch must never even enter your thoughts. EVER.

Another way to decide would be the controllers. Walk into any shop with demo units and get a feel of those. Switch without the ~80$ Pro Controller is a pretty basic experience. It works, but you will probably want one, eventually. The Xbox controller and Switch's Pro controller are pretty dang nice, although the latter has no analogue triggers (and the dpad is kinda not up to usual Nintendo standards, but that's debatable). PS4 has the Sony setup with regards to the placement of the analogue sticks, which might annoy you, and it has a distinct shape that might or might not be comfortable to hold for you. Depends on your hands. So grab those fuckers and play a bunch of rounds of whatever is on those demo units.

Last, get a load of the UI. Personally, I'd rather have nails driven through my noodly appendage than suffer through whatever redesign MS is currently throwing at their console this month, but the PS4 menu ain't exactly perfect either. Both are kinda overfraught and up their own arse about design philosophies/have problems with how to grant you quick access to functions while still serving ads and offering alternatives. Nintendo suffers from the opposite, their OS is incredibly barebones, simple to a fault. I'm more of a fan of the Switch OS, but it definitely has it's own share of issues, so YMMV. Once more, demo unit time. Or bother friends or watch YouTube vids.
!list

Jerry

« Reply #18620 on: October 27, 2017, 05:17:46 AM »
Help me

PC
COYS

Fifstar

« Reply #18621 on: October 27, 2017, 09:32:51 AM »
Help me

PC

:neogaf
Gulp

Para-Medic

« Reply #18622 on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:51 AM »
For people who pre-ordered Summon Night 6, after months and months of delays Amazon is finally sending out estimated arrival dates via e-mail.

For me that is Nov. 2nd. PS4 Amu Edition.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:56:25 AM by Para-Medic »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18623 on: October 27, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
I got a vita version, no email yet
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18624 on: October 27, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18625 on: October 27, 2017, 01:02:35 PM »
I have all 3 systems (Switch pending black friday deal)  so pick whatever one you want. I would honestly go PS4, the exclusives are great.
fat

« Reply #18626 on: October 27, 2017, 01:36:08 PM »
PS4 now and a cheap Switch down the road.
野球

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #18627 on: October 27, 2017, 01:47:44 PM »
One thing I would say about being an online/social player, for me xbox takes the lead on that. They have a social community aspect with "looking 4 group" option. So if youre going in fresh with no friendslist, you can easily get yourself into accepting groups of people to play with even on old games. For example civ rev is a old 360 game, where i can boot up on my xbox one, and even if theres no games online, pop an ad up on LFG and can get a game within 10 mins. While still useful for popular games, it really keeps communities in smaller older games alive.

Despite the cost, xbox x will be in terms of functionality and flexibility the best console to buy from my opinion.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18628 on: October 27, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
I've used the LFG feature in Destiny for giggles. But I'm sure its great for any game really, I see people setting up online matches in Daytona USA in it
fat

hungrynoob

• boo
« Reply #18629 on: October 27, 2017, 02:14:00 PM »
it's really an underappreciated feature i dont see get mentioned all too often which is a shame. Im sure its not original, but fresh in the console space.

Para-Medic

« Reply #18630 on: October 27, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »
In the mail today.

Anybody got experience with these?

« Reply #18631 on: October 27, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
In the mail today.

(Image removed from quote.)

GUNDAM UNICORN PS3 FUUUUUCK YEEAAAHHHH!!!!!

Macross 30 is wonderful and EX Troopers is fun, but Gundam Unicorn is one of my favorite games ever. Platinum'd it. I bought the LE version, all the DLC and even own the Famitsu Strategy guide.

Join us in the Mecha Gaming Thread!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:39:22 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球

« Reply #18632 on: October 27, 2017, 04:35:43 PM »
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=32975.675

I talked a lot about Gundam UC starting around this page, Para.
野球

Para-Medic

« Reply #18633 on: October 27, 2017, 05:04:18 PM »
In the mail today.

(Image removed from quote.)

Join us in the Mecha Gaming Thread!

For sure I will soon, I had some questions actually about a PS2 Gundam game I have. (MS Saga ~A New Dawn~)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #18634 on: October 27, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
That game is supposed to be crap but for some reason fetches some paper on ebay
fat

« Reply #18635 on: October 27, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
MS Saga is a very simple turn-based JRPG with Gundams. It's fun if you like Gundam.
野球

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #18636 on: October 27, 2017, 06:02:55 PM »
Tempted to pull the trigger on Hollow Knight, but reluctant since it's been out for almost a year which means it's prime BTA Humble Bundle material

Bebpo

« Reply #18637 on: October 27, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »
MS Saga is a very simple turn-based JRPG with Gundams. It's fun if you like Gundam.

I liked it back in the day as a Gundam fan and PS2 rpg fan, but I never finished it because it wasn't that engaging. Was alright.

« Reply #18638 on: October 27, 2017, 07:00:27 PM »
My favorite pseudo JRPG games were the Captain Tsubasa games. Last one I know of was on the PS2 and happened to be the last game I played on the system.

I knew Tsubasa was popular in Arabic speaking countries but I had no idea just how much until I went to Morocco this summer and saw Tsubaasa stuff all over Rabat and Marrakech.
野球

« Reply #18639 on: October 27, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »
I struggle to call him Tsubasa to this day. He'll always be Majid.

I got corrected a couple times, but lots of people were impressed that an American knew who he was. My wife just called me a nerd.  ;)
野球

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18640 on: October 27, 2017, 07:23:24 PM »
Called him Olive, didn't they?

« Reply #18641 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:58 PM »
Captain Tsubasa was huge here in Brazil too (as you would expect), though we just called it Super Champions.

But I was never a fan so I remember almost nothing of it

Raist

« Reply #18642 on: October 27, 2017, 07:58:34 PM »
That shit was hilarious tbh

« Reply #18643 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:42 PM »
Reminds me a bit of Initial D. They always get crazy with sports anime

Though I'm yet to watch the ones that get REALLY crazy

Raist

« Reply #18644 on: October 28, 2017, 04:41:18 AM »
Just wondering because he's called Olive in the french version (actually the series is simply named Olive and Tom - the ultimate goalkeeper dude), and I'm just assuming that the french dub was airing in Morocco. But maybe not.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18645 on: October 28, 2017, 06:24:19 AM »
Captain Tsubasa was like crack for me as a wee lad even though I was never really interested in soccer  :noah

That DBZ x soccer comparison is quite apt. Captain Tsubasa was hilarious with its moves especially the almost constant overhead kicks. My memory may be spotty in that regard but it used to amuse me to no end how it could take an entire episode for them to cross the field.

While I can't really remember myself, after browsing wikipedia it seems like Tsubasa and the others kept their Japanese names in the German dub (tho the show had a German title). I do remember that I was too stupid to realize that this was actually based in Japan. I think it only dawned on me after seeing the Japanese flag being hoisted in one of the games  :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18646 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:05 AM »
interesting walking simulators etc...

Give SOMA a try if you haven't yet. It had one of the best stories that year.

Raist

« Reply #18647 on: October 28, 2017, 06:33:43 AM »
Captain Tsubasa was like crack for me as a wee lad even though I was never really interested in soccer  :noah

That DBZ x soccer comparison is quite apt. Captain Tsubasa was hilarious with its moves especially the almost constant overhead kicks. My memory may be spotty in that regard but it used to amuse me to no end how it could take an entire episode for them to cross the field.

While I can't really remember myself, after browsing wikipedia it seems like Tsubasa and the others kept their Japanese names in the German dub (tho the show had a German title). I do remember that I was too stupid to realize that this was actually based in Japan. I think it only dawned on me after seeing the Japanese flag being hoisted in one of the games  :lol

*Crosses the midfield line*
*Remembers some events when he was a kid for 15 minutes*
*Back to the game, has progressed by about 2 meters*

Raist

« Reply #18648 on: October 28, 2017, 06:46:40 AM »
To be fair, the field was gigantic. From the midfield they couldn't see the goal because it was below the fucking horizon :rofl

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #18649 on: October 28, 2017, 07:13:46 AM »
LOL yeah it was like they were playing on their own little planetoid.

Rich!

« Reply #18650 on: October 28, 2017, 09:58:37 AM »
Heard some rumblings of NISA having some stuff lined up for the Switch next year, to be announced within the next few months.

I'm guessing Danganronpa.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18651 on: October 28, 2017, 01:12:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/gautoz/status/923888340641959942

David Cage : the Jean-Luc Godard of games. :neogaf
ὕβρις

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18652 on: October 28, 2017, 01:59:41 PM »
Remember that scene in Weekend where they had to play Simon Says to defeat the aliens?

I'm guessing you guys are really hyped for Detroit: This Fucking Trope Again or How I Stopped Worrying and Started Accepting My Robot Brethren As Equal Humans. Maybe he'll surprise us though.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #18653 on: October 28, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
Hoping for another video where someone fails every prompt in a chase scene.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18654 on: October 28, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
Not getting someone to actually edit his 'cinematic experience' once again should be fun as well. Let's have all the garbage in-between stuff, that doesn't serve a purpose, in the game.

Squeeze L2 and R2 to rip a big fart.

And the oscar goes to!

paprikastaude

« Reply #18655 on: October 28, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
I don't care about story heavy games, as long as it doesn't feel like the work of a super-pretentious failed film student (i.e. that's how I see people like Cage).

Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain were cringe-inducing and Detroit equally looks as subtle as a sledgehammer in how it's presenting its themes. :kobeyuck It certainly doesn't get better after watching Bladerunner 2048 that goes for the same setting. Hell, even Nier Automata will probably be heads and shoulders above what Cage does with these themes.

I recently played the demo with the section from the first E3 trailer and let the child die. It then said 'mission failed', which makes me think that decisions won't matter after all, if you don't follow the general script.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 03:23:35 PM by Spieler1 »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #18656 on: October 28, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
Remember that scene in Weekend where they had to play Simon Says to defeat the aliens?

I'm guessing you guys are really hyped for Detroit: This Fucking Trope Again or How I Stopped Worrying and Started Accepting My Robot Brethren As Equal Humans. Maybe he'll surprise us though.

he wont

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18657 on: October 29, 2017, 02:59:25 AM »

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #18658 on: October 29, 2017, 11:26:15 AM »
Haven't read the interview but apparently Cage has a few gems of incredible smugness still. Back in the Heavy Rain days I was blow away by how dumb he sounded. So much apparent ignorange of the history of videogames & contempt for the medium ("It's all bang bang kick punch shit with simplistic push button mechanics, hopefully I am here." :ego) all in service of scripts so trash they wouldn't even had made the cut at Cannon, PM or Nu Image and the slimmest of gameplay loops.
ὕβρις

paprikastaude

« Reply #18659 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
I know people really like the game for some reason, but to me Life is Strange is easily the worst offender of all in that regard. I could barely make it through like an hour of that Linkin Park hipster fanfiction. It could be a parody of shitty indie movies, if it wasn't totally serious and pretentious while going through every embarrassing cliche and trite dialogue possible.