Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3060074 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #19200 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:53 PM »

« Reply #19201 on: February 13, 2018, 06:42:22 PM »
Vice City is still my favorite. But how can you not like San Andreas

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #19203 on: February 13, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »
Grabbed the latest Hitman, and boy, is it great. A real Hitman game, which I never thought we'd see after Absolution.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19204 on: February 14, 2018, 01:20:49 AM »
they better bring back Yum! Brands star Carlos Alazraqui to voice Spyro in the first game or what is even the point

benjipwns

« Reply #19205 on: February 14, 2018, 01:25:07 AM »
3 minutes in and the video is too stupid to continue. arguing in favor of 4's awful melee fighting or its ugly ragdoll physics? bitch please. and ofc it ignores the obvious point that 4 was boring as shit, whether or not you were playing missions.
THE ONLY COUNTERPOINT:

spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #19206 on: February 14, 2018, 07:57:36 AM »
GTA IV also has absolutely the dumbest and most forced "choose your ending" I've ever seen since. Hey Nico, you're a mass murderer and all around piece of shit are you sure you want to kill this guy who fucked you over terribly in the past? You'll be a monster if you do so even though you ran over three people on your way here?  :lol

"Oscar worthy storytelling" ::)

I was never a Trevor fanboy but the comedic take on him and his insanity fits GTA a lot more than some forced reflective bullshit that falls apart the moment you have control.

I’d never really cared about storytelling in GTA and I was fine with what we’d got up to and including San Andreas. But then GTA IV came around and somehow Dan Houser convinced himself that he was writing the next Great American Novel with what’s supposed to be a fun sandbox game about shooting dudes via drive-by while listening to the radio :pimp

GTA V was better (thankfully), but there were still a lot of silly pretensions. And while Trevor was initially a fresh breath of air, further into the game I got really fed up with the homicidal maniac shtick. Tommy Vercetti was the better version of this type of dude.

benjipwns

« Reply #19207 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:46 AM »
Kartik Sharma
PS2 was really nice era to play games. An era where people did not care about resolution and frame rate but cared about the game and fun.

Drofnuts
+Kartik Sharma I don't think we knew about resolution and frame rate in those days. I know I didn't.

l Pronox
no now the worl is full of fools and idiots... the era of smart phones and dumb people.

TaePoDongIII
Not as bad as today.  There was no Digital foundry back then. no youtube.  no internet forum wars.  So yes wasn't as bad back then.    etc.......... 
sensiblechuckle.gif

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19208 on: February 14, 2018, 12:00:20 PM »
Kartik Sharma
PS2 was really nice era to play games. An era where people did not care about resolution and frame rate but cared about the game and fun.

Drofnuts
+Kartik Sharma I don't think we knew about resolution and frame rate in those days. I know I didn't.

l Pronox
no now the worl is full of fools and idiots... the era of smart phones and dumb people.

TaePoDongIII
Not as bad as today.  There was no Digital foundry back then. no youtube.  no internet forum wars.  So yes wasn't as bad back then.    etc.......... 
sensiblechuckle.gif

©@©™

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #19209 on: February 14, 2018, 12:21:02 PM »
Don't think I ever played the PS2 gtas without cheats
Spent alot of time in SA shooting the same car tire to level up the skill and other cheesy strategies

Best thing about that era was the fact that indoor areas were rendered in the sky so you could clear all the police missions by entering a building  :lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 12:26:51 PM by eleuin »

Raist

« Reply #19210 on: February 14, 2018, 02:12:58 PM »
Hope they do a good job with Spyro like they did with Crash. Spyro was especially fucked by the activision games. Got the ugliest redesign imaginable and was voiced by a bored Elijah Wood :lol

Same devs presumably, for what it's worth.

kingv

« Reply #19211 on: February 14, 2018, 05:25:39 PM »
I member back in the  early 2000’s, we used to just share gaming with each other, like “cool, man, you got a ps2, that’s dope, I have a PS2, but I like them both equally. I also think it’s really cool that Nintendo makes games suitable for all ages, but really, I love all games. Sweat and blood are both equally good choices for a Mortal Kombat game, really.”

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #19212 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:10 PM »
This motherfucker  on 122333/weak mode/New Game -. :whew Land Blind on it, Chronos Tear, Chronos Tear, Hi-Potion, Hi-Potion, Hi-Potion, Hi-Potion, Haste Monk/Bushido character, Berserk Monk/Bushido Character. Spread out gunner and bow. Hi-potion spam, Mist charges/Quickenings like 2-3 times. Hi-potion continue to spam until nearly empty of Hi-potions, Chronos Tears...

Motherfucker getting it's health back (one time only IIRC) and then spamming Stop (killing 3 characters ability to wipe it, switch out party), Inverse (to make a character hit 33 or so from their base MP level), Drain (dropping them to like 600 or so if they have 1,000+ HP) repeatedly.

Blind is your friend against the marks.

kingv

« Reply #19213 on: February 14, 2018, 11:31:49 PM »
I always thought a mind foster was just like one of those dudes who split the head of his dick like a devils tongue.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19214 on: February 15, 2018, 12:18:14 AM »
I member back in the  early 2000’s, we used to just share gaming with each other, like “cool, man, you got a ps2, that’s dope, I have a PS2, but I like them both equally. I also think it’s really cool that Nintendo makes games suitable for all ages, but really, I love all games. Sweat and blood are both equally good choices for a Mortal Kombat game, really.”

You're lost, shit was just as trolly and fanboy back then as it is now
fat

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #19215 on: February 15, 2018, 04:50:10 AM »
Imho it was even way worse that gen specifically.

Sega dying, Xbox coming in, PS2, GCN.

32 bit gen was also a bloodbath.

Coax

« Reply #19216 on: February 15, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »
I think they were being facetious

Fifstar

« Reply #19217 on: February 15, 2018, 05:16:33 AM »
Eh, I think the current fanboyism that hides behind sales discussion coupled with that passive aggressive discussion style is less beareable than the all out fanboys wars of old.
Gulp

kingv

« Reply #19218 on: February 15, 2018, 08:02:05 AM »
I think they were being facetious

Definitely facetious. I remember when it was considered a legit critique of the Xbox that it was too heavy and could kill your dog if it fell off your TV stand.

Fanboys are still pretty bad today, but IMO it was worse then because more Gamers were actual children than they are today. Today there are lots more people that own more than one console, I think

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #19219 on: February 15, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »
Sega fanboys were the absolute fucking worst and have always been. Strangely it didn't get better once Sega announced they were exiting the hardware business. The Sega fanboys saw it as a free pass to be even more puerile than before for some strange reason. I'm guessing it was all the salt.

Raist

« Reply #19220 on: February 15, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »
Sega fanboys were the absolute fucking worst and have always been. Strangely it didn't get better once Sega announced they were exiting the hardware business. The Sega fanboys saw it as a free pass to be even more puerile than before for some strange reason. I'm guessing it was all the salt.

Signed,
a Nintendo Stan

:teehee

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #19221 on: February 15, 2018, 09:42:52 AM »

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bug-fables-an-exploration-rpg-full-of-bugs-game#/

Just heard about this game from a small podcast I listen to. It's Paper Mario but with bugs.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19222 on: February 15, 2018, 11:06:00 AM »
I've always tried to avoid console warrior stuff on the internet because, well, those people are fucking idiots, but i fermenter Dreamcast era Sega fans and Gamecube era nintendo fans as being the worst. I guess something about swearing that they were always on the cheap of a breakthrough that made them extra annoying.

and you can add Sony fans in the early years of the ps3 to this list too. lol haze
pcp

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19223 on: February 15, 2018, 11:52:48 AM »
I'm sure you're just the shining beacon of game discussion wrath
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19224 on: February 15, 2018, 11:59:07 AM »
*insert every demi shitpost were he/she/xir calls a game shit*

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19225 on: February 15, 2018, 12:09:19 PM »
That's not trolling that's just God's truth
fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #19226 on: February 15, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
So I've been hearing a lot about Jason Schier due to REEEEE but this is the first "review" I've read from him.

https://kotaku.com/the-secret-of-mana-remake-makes-a-great-game-worse-1823035593

I don't get any of the hype around him. His complaints are:
1) The music arrangment sucks (forgets to mention that you can set it to the SNES original in options)
2) Misses the sprites (ok)
3) It doesn't have the same armor up and down indicators like the original (the original didn't have these)
4) Gameplay isn't that great (well yeah, it was just OK back in the day as well)

I can't see why everyone's all slobbering all over on this guy.
que

« Reply #19227 on: February 15, 2018, 03:14:18 PM »
Wii U nintards were pretty bad too. The worst Nintards going now are the group that still insist the Wii U was some diamond in the rough.

Right now the sadsacks are whatever MS stans are left. Those dudes are just depressing. Being forced to push Sea Of Thieves and hoping for developer acquisitions does a number on you.

To be really real though, win or lose console warriors are trash. I try to avoid that shit when discussing videogames.

Company makes some shitty moves, console turns out to be terrible/not sell well/not have support, everyone shits on it, the worst of the stans come out to defend it and are very vocal about it

Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS3 near launch, the Wii U, and now the Xbone. Whoever's losing has the worst fanbase. It's science

paprikastaude

« Reply #19228 on: February 15, 2018, 03:23:36 PM »
Can't say I am noticing Bone fans in general discourse, really. Nintenyearolds didn't become any less obnoxious after WiiU though, with their port begging and demonization of other publishers going even beyond Gaben nerds (which is quite a feat).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 03:28:49 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19229 on: February 15, 2018, 03:35:06 PM »
The new music is terrible lmfao

fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19230 on: February 15, 2018, 03:46:38 PM »
jesus fucking christ who approved that
pcp

« Reply #19231 on: February 15, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Can't say I am noticing Bone fans in general discourse, really. Nintenyearolds didn't become any less obnoxious after WiiU though, with their port begging and demonization of other publishers going even beyond Gaben nerds (which is quite a feat).

I never see obnoxious Xbox fans, always figured they realized they got beat and were licking their wounds. Nintendo fans have really stepped up their game lately with their "businesses owe it to us to make games for the Switch" paradigm. Diehard Sony fans are just as weird as ever.
野球

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #19232 on: February 15, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »

Yeah, sorta suprised by that. There was nothing wrong with the original. IF I do get the remake (who am I kidding, I'm a weak, weak man) it'll definitely be on the original OST
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19233 on: February 15, 2018, 04:07:16 PM »
So I've been hearing a lot about Jason Schier due to REEEEE but this is the first "review" I've read from him.

https://kotaku.com/the-secret-of-mana-remake-makes-a-great-game-worse-1823035593

1) The music arrangment sucks (forgets to mention that you can set it to the SNES original in options)
3) It doesn't have the same armor up and down indicators like the original (the original didn't have these)
4) Gameplay isn't that great (well yeah, it was just OK back in the day as well)

He admitted he got that wrong and corrected the review, plus the game looks like shit anyway.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #19234 on: February 15, 2018, 04:35:15 PM »

:holeup

They should have asked this guy.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #19235 on: February 15, 2018, 04:37:44 PM »
Eh, I think the current fanboyism that hides behind sales discussion coupled with that passive aggressive discussion style is less beareable than the all out fanboys wars of old.

Absolutely. Those same people also ignore if something is sold for profit along with if something is being sold for a loss, as well as any side revenue from a fuck ton of services.

Any business talk around vames revolves around that sales number, and nothing else. As if console manufacturers give a fuck more about "winning" at sales rather than the bottom line and how much revenue and profit they make  :lol

Used to be Nintendo gloom every year, now that's shifted to Microsoft. Nintendo will be part of that conversation again inevitability when they release some mismarketed, gimmicky console.
OH!

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #19236 on: February 15, 2018, 05:24:54 PM »

He admitted he got that wrong and corrected the review, plus the game looks like shit anyway.
I see you Jason :hitler
que

Corporal

« Reply #19237 on: February 15, 2018, 07:16:10 PM »
Fanboys are annoying. Always will, and have been for as long as  I remember.

That said, I just don't care enough anymore to really enjoy a good old fashioned forum war. It was fun when I was more involved, but nowadays I just want to play muh gaems and not be bothered. Oh, and occasionally complain about not getting games I like. But that's only secondary, at most. So I'm sitting in threads I would have loved to prowl back in the days and just feel out of place.

So if you're pissed that fanboys are annoying, as if that was new or different somehow nowadays, it just means you are more chilled nowadays. Is what I think.
!list

Raist

« Reply #19238 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:16 PM »
 :foxx

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19239 on: February 15, 2018, 11:29:39 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19240 on: February 16, 2018, 12:33:16 AM »
nintendo rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raist

« Reply #19241 on: February 16, 2018, 05:31:33 AM »
https://www.playstarmancer.com/features/

Starmancer is a Dwarf Fortress inspired space station building game.
After a catastrophe on Earth, humanity launches the Starmancer Initiative in a desperate attempt to seek refuge among the stars. Your task as a Starmancer is to construct and manage a colony capable of sustaining human life.

Starmancer offers gameplay with consequences, a living sandbox environment, crafting, and managing the daily lives of colonists. Send crews out to mine on asteroids, trade with other factions, and explore old alien ruins.

The vastness of space awaits. Are you ready?

:leon

Kinda looks like sprites were ripped straight from FFT :lol

Corporal

« Reply #19242 on: February 16, 2018, 06:10:35 AM »
Hey that looks neat. Name dropping Dwarf fortress creates some hard to satisfy expectations.

...and a healthy fear for what kind of system requirements this thing will have.
nintendo rules!!!!!!!!!!!!
:aah
Ain't that the truth.

What else is new.
!list

kingv

« Reply #19243 on: February 16, 2018, 04:37:58 PM »

Absolutely. Those same people also ignore if something is sold for profit along with if something is being sold for a loss, as well as any side revenue from a fuck ton of services.

Any business talk around vames revolves around that sales number, and nothing else. As if console manufacturers give a fuck more about "winning" at sales rather than the bottom line and how much revenue and profit they make  :lol

Used to be Nintendo gloom every year, now that's shifted to Microsoft. Nintendo will be part of that conversation again inevitability when they release some mismarketed, gimmicky console.

Nintendo is a remarkably well run company in some ways. The fact that they were still profitable during most of the Wii U years is a crazy achievement. Like the Wii U was a legit flop and they didn’t have to file for bankruptcy in ac company that basically makes two products at a time.

Raist

« Reply #19244 on: February 16, 2018, 04:56:56 PM »

Nintendo is a remarkably well run company in some ways. The fact that they were still profitable during most of the Wii U years is a crazy achievement. Like the Wii U was a legit flop and they didn’t have to file for bankruptcy in ac company that basically makes two products at a time.

That's because they sell overpriced trash.

bluemax

« Reply #19245 on: February 16, 2018, 11:40:42 PM »

Jeremy Parish had pretty similar complaints.

Schreier is known more for his investigative stuff than his reviews TBH.
NO

Svejk

« Reply #19246 on: February 17, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
If you all had a choice between Cave Story+ and Hollow Knight,  which one?  (Steam sale  :D)

archie4208

« Reply #19247 on: February 17, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »
Hollow Knight.  You can always play the freeware version of Cave Story.

Borealis

« Reply #19248 on: February 18, 2018, 08:44:41 AM »
Two Points Hospital (by Theme Hospital devs) gameplay (starts at 3:12):

Original's UI was a fairly clunky, and this looks like a perfect remake.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #19249 on: February 18, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »

Raist

« Reply #19250 on: February 18, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »
So which game(s) did you get banned from?

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19251 on: February 18, 2018, 06:50:32 PM »
I'm mostly going off RE's MS 1st party thread where it's a handful of hopefuls.
For me the fun part is that Microsoft announces all sorts of shake-ups at management level, new games and prototypes and then cancels everything until they only ship Halo and Forza.

The not so fun part is, I bought an Xbox One like 6 months after launch. The last games I got were Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 3.  :doge
🤴

kingv

« Reply #19252 on: February 18, 2018, 10:01:57 PM »
I'm mostly going off RE's MS 1st party thread where it's a handful of hopefuls.
For me the fun part is that Microsoft announces all sorts of shake-ups at management level, new games and prototypes and then cancels everything until they only ship Halo and Forza.

The not so fun part is, I bought an Xbox One like 6 months after launch. The last games I got were Quantum Break and Forza Horizon 3.  :doge

I actually like a lot of things about Xbox ecosystem. Their BC is really good, xbox live gold is net-net better than ps+ and the X1X is far and away better than the ps4 pro.

But goddamn does their 1st party library suck. Obviously because they have no games, but also There is something about the first party Xbox games where they feel unpolished or low effort.

benjipwns

« Reply #19253 on: February 20, 2018, 02:48:40 AM »
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6899-IOSK-9514&l=english

Huh, that's new.
Game bans were originally introduced to give third-party developers the ability to implement their own anti-cheat system to be used in concert with the Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC) system. CS:GO also uses game bans in its Overwatch system.
wow valvo just steals everything don't they

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19254 on: February 20, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
Vanquish is BC now on Xbox

You can now play

- Bayonetta
- Metal Gear Rising
- Vanquish
- Ninja Gaiden Black

all on your Xbox One

RIP Sony
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #19255 on: February 20, 2018, 03:18:15 PM »
but I can play all that on my old 360 without paying 400 extra dollars
pcp

etiolate

« Reply #19256 on: February 20, 2018, 06:09:32 PM »
http://music.biggiantcircles.com/album/octogeddon

The soundtrack for Octogeddon.

That opening track  :delicious

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19257 on: February 20, 2018, 06:34:11 PM »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19258 on: February 20, 2018, 07:39:05 PM »
Bought Metal Gear Survive, probably one of the best Metal Gear games yet
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #19259 on: February 20, 2018, 08:16:31 PM »
Vanquish is BC now on Xbox

You can now play

- Bayonetta
- Metal Gear Rising
- Vanquish
- Ninja Gaiden Black

all on your Xbox One

RIP Sony

Irrelevant until Tales of Vesperia.

but I can play all that on my old 360 without paying 400 extra dollars

Slims are practically thrown away and BC is making it look pretty attractive at times.