Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3040692 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #21840 on: June 09, 2019, 11:27:15 AM »
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21841 on: June 09, 2019, 11:37:18 AM »
Game Pass for PC is up a bit earlier than the MS conference, price is normally $5 a month but it's $1 right now (if you've never subbed to Game Pass before)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-pc-games/cfq7ttc0kgq8

Full list of games is here, looking like a good start
https://gg.deals/blog/full-list-of-xbox-game-pass-for-pc/
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 12:16:00 PM by nachobro »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21842 on: June 09, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
Also looks like PC Game Pass is included in Game Pass Ultimate (XBL+Xbox GP+PC GP) and if you have gold/game pass on Xbox already you can convert over for $1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I converted my remaining game pass and gold time and now I've got it til 2021 :rejoice

Bebpo

« Reply #21843 on: June 09, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
Yeah, definitely some good stuff on there. I wish this had been available a year ago, would've saved like $100 on stuff from that list I bought recently.

Will wait until I wanna play something on that list and then will definitely sub for a few months (maybe just keep a sub going all year, I mean $60 for a year of that stuff is great). Neat to see they have some brand new stuff like Void Bastards.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21844 on: June 09, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
Interesting that Metro Exodus is included...I thought that was Epic exclusive. I guess I'll check it out now that I can play for "free".

Bebpo

« Reply #21845 on: June 09, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »
Metro Exodus isn't showing up as a game pass game for me.

nachobro

• Live Más

Bebpo

« Reply #21847 on: June 09, 2019, 01:16:41 PM »
Ok, yeah it wasn't showing on one page but now it's showing.

Lotta great deals on this.

Bebpo

« Reply #21848 on: June 09, 2019, 01:21:47 PM »
Went through the list and all of these are on my steam wishlist:

MvC Infinite
>Observor
The Messenger
Vampyr
Metro Exodus
Crosscode
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Battle Chef
Silence
The Stillness of the Wind
Old Man's Journey
Void Bastards

Good deal for $5!

Do they remove games from game pass over time or do they just keep adding to it?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21849 on: June 09, 2019, 01:28:15 PM »
they'll cycle in and out but everything is on there at least a year, a lot for longer

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21850 on: June 09, 2019, 01:39:30 PM »
Vampyr is a great experience. I say experience because the presentation and story are amazing but the combat leaves a lot to be desired. It played nothing like I expected, more like a Souls game, but some how with more jank. On top of that if you want the good ending the combat is made more difficult since the only way to gain significant XP is by draining ppl and you can't drain ppl for the best ending. This works great from a story perspective and I totally get why they did it but there are absolutely stretches and moments in the game that are just not fun because of it. Great story though, phenomenal score and the fact that I'm still thinking about it and willing to recommend it with these glaring issues should say something.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Keep in mind if you've been following me on here etc you know this kinda vampire gothic shit is absolutely 100% my wheelhouse but yeah...I think this is like my third post here saying I loved this flawed game.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21851 on: June 09, 2019, 02:32:46 PM »
I really liked Vampyr. It didn't quite live up to its promises, but it's still one of the best vampire games ever [probably second only to Bloodlines]. Would love to see them do a follow up to it sometime, but I doubt it sold well enough for that.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #21852 on: June 09, 2019, 03:04:37 PM »
Vampyr is a great experience. I say experience because the presentation and story are amazing but the combat leaves a lot to be desired. It played nothing like I expected, more like a Souls game, but some how with more jank. On top of that if you want the good ending the combat is made more difficult since the only way to gain significant XP is by draining ppl and you can't drain ppl for the best ending. This works great from a story perspective and I totally get why they did it but there are absolutely stretches and moments in the game that are just not fun because of it. Great story though, phenomenal score and the fact that I'm still thinking about it and willing to recommend it with these glaring issues should say something.

Keep in mind if you've been following me on here etc you know this kinda vampire gothic shit is absolutely 100% my wheelhouse but yeah...I think this is like my third post here saying I loved this flawed game.
[close]

Sounds a lot like The Order 1666, which I really enjoyed.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21853 on: June 09, 2019, 05:23:19 PM »
Also looks like PC Game Pass is included in Game Pass Ultimate (XBL+Xbox GP+PC GP) and if you have gold/game pass on Xbox already you can convert over for $1.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass-ultimate/cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I converted my remaining game pass and gold time and now I've got it til 2021 :rejoice

(Image removed from quote.)

Yeah I just did the same! I still have till the 12th of this year
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21854 on: June 09, 2019, 08:50:30 PM »

[close]

Sounds a lot like The Order 1666, which I really enjoyed.

It's really not anything like The Order 1666.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21855 on: June 10, 2019, 02:53:10 AM »
somebody caught this mobile games "reviews" :lol

Bravo.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21856 on: June 10, 2019, 10:50:31 AM »

:lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #21857 on: June 10, 2019, 10:55:23 AM »
 :delicious

benjipwns

« Reply #21858 on: June 10, 2019, 10:57:04 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21859 on: June 10, 2019, 03:56:43 PM »
Not too surprising, since it's really hard for independent studios these days and also Tim Schafer is kinda bad with money.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #21860 on: June 11, 2019, 02:51:32 AM »

Good and honest video. I never found Schafer to be that sleazy suit type of guy so I think he (and his team) are truly happy that they have solved their financial problems once and for all.

And the games they are making - quirky AA titles loved by nerds - are more fitting for Gamepass than store shelves anyway.

How have they solved their financial problems though? If they have a couple of bombs isn't it more likely MS will just shutter the studio and fire everyone like they've done numerous times?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #21861 on: June 11, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »

Good and honest video. I never found Schafer to be that sleazy suit type of guy so I think he (and his team) are truly happy that they have solved their financial problems once and for all.

And the games they are making - quirky AA titles loved by nerds - are more fitting for Gamepass than store shelves anyway.

How have they solved their financial problems though? If they have a couple of bombs isn't it more likely MS will just shutter the studio and fire everyone like they've done numerous times?

That buys them like a decade in modern game dev time. Tim can make a big expensive bomb or two and retire. It puts the company in the crosshairs, but its years down the line.

Psychonauts 2's publisher was imploding mid development - they might not have been able to sustain that kind of environment when paying for 200 employees in San Francisco. While in my opinion its dumb as fuck to hire hundreds of people in San Francisco, that grave was already dug, and the long death would be preferable if some people (like Tim) don't want to feel responsible for throwing people out on the street.

Chooky

« Reply #21862 on: June 11, 2019, 11:45:58 AM »
tim schafer and double fine will never make anything other than extremely niche games. might as well be glad that there's enough fans in high places out there that will find their relative bombs time and time again because they will never be truly sustainable. might as well just enjoy the games that we do manage to get.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21863 on: June 11, 2019, 12:50:05 PM »
tim schafer and double fine will never make anything other than extremely niche games. might as well be glad that there's enough fans in high places out there that will find their relative bombs time and time again because they will never be truly sustainable. might as well just enjoy the games that we do manage to get.

Yep, Tim Schafer should absolutely be making smaller projects with a smaller team but he keeps getting bailed out at the 11th hour so maybe he's doing something right.

Svejk

« Reply #21864 on: June 11, 2019, 01:47:53 PM »
As much as I want to play Cyberpunk, a part of me almost wished it was delayed to be a PS5 launch title.  Would rather have it that way than be my PS4 swansong.  My base PS4 will struggle.  :-\

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #21865 on: June 11, 2019, 02:03:16 PM »
Yep, Tim Schafer should absolutely be making smaller projects with a smaller team but he keeps getting bailed out at the 11th hour so maybe he's doing something right.
They tried. XBLA sustained them for a bit there and then they limped along on Kickstarter and Fig. It's amazing they managed to hang on for so long doing those small niche games. Especially now, when they compete with no-overhead Unity kamikaze projects by students and former AA/A devs betting their asses.

benjipwns

« Reply #21866 on: June 12, 2019, 01:02:03 AM »
It's worth noting that Microsoft has already had a pretty good relationship with Double Fine. A lot of that XBLA stuff and even Psychonauts had Microsoft money involved quietly. When Psychonauts got dropped from the original publisher, Microsoft kept it afloat because it was an Xbox exclusive at the time, Majesco had them make the PS2 version when it became the publisher IIRC. I think they did something similar behind the scenes for Brutal Legend before EA swooped in with the EA Partners program. The deal they made with Nordic to swap the ownership rights out of the corpse of THQ was related to some of how they had done projects with quiet "off the books" outside funding from individuals elsewhere. Their trust in crowdfunding I imagine was related, they had some big sized donors from inside the industry I believe.

Somebody at Microsoft clearly likes Tim Schafer in any case it seems.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21867 on: June 12, 2019, 10:38:44 AM »
https://www.play-asia.com/search/Contra%3A+Anniversary+Collection

P-A and apparently a few Euro retailers have put up listing for Contra: Anniversary Collection (PS4/XB1/SW) but nothing official has been announced.  It's listed for $59.99- three times the price of the digital version.  Hoping this is actually going to be the Arcade, Castlevania, and Contra collections in one package.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21868 on: June 13, 2019, 10:50:38 AM »
Giant Bomb had Phil Spencer on and it was a pretty good interview (as it usually is every year)
https://www.giantbomb.com/shows/nite-two-at-e3-2019-phil-spencer/2970-19369/free-video

Some things i thought were interesting:

- XCloud isn't a plan to replace consoles/PC, just an additive thing. He knows streaming won't match local play for decades

- Dropped the line "If you don't think 4K is meaningful, that's fine. Buy an S or a Playstation" :lol

- PSO2 was a white whale and a major focus for him. Didn't say it explicitly but sounds like MS funded localization and its only a timed exclusive

- Was cagey on back compat for Nextbox but it sounds like he wants to get all the digital titles working, all disc based games is probably unlikely

- Jeff asked about Too Human being given away for free. Phil replied "It couldn't not be free" :lol

- Said the current plan for crossgen titles is that if you get an Xbone version of a game, Nextbox version is included with that

- Confirmed MS will be at E3 next year (seems like a "no duh" since they will have a console to show at that point)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:55:14 AM by nachobro »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21869 on: June 14, 2019, 04:23:00 PM »
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #21870 on: June 14, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
I finally realized what I don't like about modern Ys games. The boss fights should really be a faster version of Sekiro/Souls fights. Ys games don't have a lot of moves or combo juggles so it's not like DMC but the bosses should at least be intense and hard fights like Sekiro with tight windows. But they really aren't in 7/Celceta/8 and I don't expect 9 to any different. The combat has gotten sort of boring and the graphics still look like shit (I mean no reason Falcom Ys games can't look as good as Trial of Mana remake, I'd bet the budgets are about the same).

That being said the traversal options in 9 look fun and I still might play it because of them, but overall nothing about 9 is looking particularly exciting. 8 was a big disappointment for me. Their Ys games have gotten so bloated and zzz.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21871 on: June 15, 2019, 11:07:00 AM »
Looks really fun, even if the environments are kinda bland. Like the song in the intro and the new warp-strike esque traversal, also there's a bit more verticality than you usually see in Ys games.

I thought 8 was a lot of fun, loved the whole finding castaways and defending your village aspect. Was a bit of a unique concept to the genre, though of course at the end it turns into a more traditional Ys story with ancient ruins and magic powers.
^_^

Bebpo

« Reply #21872 on: June 15, 2019, 04:38:15 PM »
8 had so much filler though. Ys games are not meant to be 30+ hours ugh. And BASE IS UNDER ATTACK, TOWER DEFENSE TIME ughhhhhh

Give me a good 8-10 hour Ys and I'll be back on board.

Freyj

« Reply #21873 on: June 15, 2019, 07:53:23 PM »
I liked the minor Metroid exploration in 8 but like many JRPGs it more or less gives up on that exploration in favor of a much more linear experience pretty early on.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21874 on: June 15, 2019, 08:03:57 PM »
8 had so much filler though. Ys games are not meant to be 30+ hours ugh. And BASE IS UNDER ATTACK, TOWER DEFENSE TIME ughhhhhh

Give me a good 8-10 hour Ys and I'll be back on board.

lmao good bye. Ys 8 was amazing.
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #21875 on: June 15, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »
Kind of agree. I liked Ys 7 and Memories despite the dull story, because in the end they were straight forward. Yeah there were jrpg side stuff to do, but in the end you could just rush through the main story and have fun with the battle system and boss battles.

8 seems ok. I haven't finished it. But all the padding and story stuff kind if has gotten in the way. It's still boring, yet is more abundant. All the other community building and relationship stuff is uninteresting as well. I don't want to worry about that stuff.

I like Falcom gameplay, but I don't give a fuck about thier stories. They are so dull and visually presented to you even worse. Worse than Tales.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

kingv

« Reply #21877 on: June 16, 2019, 10:57:36 PM »
Signed up for that Xbox Ultimate Gamepass for $1 deal.

It really needs annual pricing, but seems like sort of a good deal if you could get it for around $100 or so on Black Friday.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21878 on: June 17, 2019, 06:32:02 PM »
https://twitter.com/WWG/status/1140741611716001793

> Ramirez! The Russians are invading Burger Town!
> Top floor, second window
> F
> War, war never changes
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21879 on: June 18, 2019, 05:17:39 PM »
What

Svejk

« Reply #21880 on: June 19, 2019, 07:01:38 AM »
I wouldn't think they would, if they're wanting it to tie into AC. (are they?) But I can see them tapping into "another dimension" type stuff... where ever she is when she reaches her hand out (in AC) to help Cloud out.
When you open the command menu, time slows and you can fight like a command battle.
I actually like the sound of this.  :doge

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #21881 on: June 19, 2019, 10:02:14 AM »
Ethics in the chest department @ Square... Jeesus

The Cross dressing still being in the game is very brave.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21882 on: June 19, 2019, 10:09:16 AM »
It's about ethics in videogame chests
©@©™

Chooky

« Reply #21883 on: June 19, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »
thoroughly enjoying right wing gamers unironically raging at ethics in videogames

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21884 on: June 19, 2019, 12:12:17 PM »
I did really want the rape scene to be in it, to be honest.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #21885 on: June 19, 2019, 02:45:20 PM »
I honestly don't give a shit about Tifa's tittage, since i barely played FFVII in the first place, but "The ethics department at Square Enix" is just...  :crowdlaff

BTW tell the ethics department to push for a patch for Nier Automata on PC, the game has been out for years now, and still needs fan mods to run normally.  :fbm

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21886 on: June 19, 2019, 06:27:03 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21887 on: June 19, 2019, 06:29:33 PM »

Hi-Bit Studios will release “arcade epic” 198X for PlayStation 4 and PC on June 20, followed by Xbox One and Switch “soon,” the developer announced.

:lawd

Just got my Steam key!  They're saying the game is out tomorrow on PC-- PS4 delayed a bit as they're still waiting for the final approval from Sony.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #21888 on: June 19, 2019, 06:43:26 PM »
Oh shit!! Already?  Tooooo many guuuud gamezzzzz!!!1!1!1  :dizzy

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21889 on: June 19, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #21890 on: June 20, 2019, 02:35:19 AM »
I want a plush banana with a face on it.

benjipwns

« Reply #21891 on: June 20, 2019, 06:34:24 AM »
random historical note about how the same engines can stare you right in the face when they aren't publicized: Krazy Ivan, Colony Wars and Colony Wars: Vengeance all use the same engine built originally for Ivan with the Colony Wars games just adding new stuff piled on top

a new team was formed to do the third Colony Wars game, Red Sun, they started over because it was so patched together and held together with coding duct tape with zero useful documentation and much of the lower level structure was referring to Krazy Ivan systems but the actual functions had been replaced by new code for Colony Wars yet the old stuff was never stripped out and the functions would run through the Ivan code before hitting the CPU even though the game didn't use them, they found they couldn't even reuse the memory card code separately :lol

all sorts of timings in the code for the physics especially relied on it going through these long chains of commands to where rewriting the code to be simpler made the framerate worse and they couldn't just stick stuff back in, management assumed that since they already had an engine up and running that the game needed less time, when they wound up spending six months constructing a new engine from scratch

G-Police's infamous two foot draw distance was similarly related to some Psygnosis code spaghetti, that's why the whole outline drawing "solution" in the second game actually doesn't help because it's still stuck within the same draw distance limitation...the PC version in theory shouldn't have limitations but the engine is such that it basically has the same problem, no idea if there were fan fixes to this

I have a feeling Wipeout 3's similarly tossing out everything and starting over rather than just building on top of XL could be a similar situation but I do not have any documentation on that it just fits timewise and sure seems like it

a lot of this I think relates to how Sony wanted to dump Psygnosis but at the last second retained ownership of it, they had massively proliferated studios and needed to give them something to do so they'd give them new games in established series while the older studios started new IPs, Sony eventually just absorbed the company and killed off a lot of the extra studios... related to that, Sony bought Psygnosis for like $25 million as it was gearing up for the PS1, it was getting offers of like $300 million to sell it off, it wasn't anything related to performance either, it was infighting between management

random and most important fact of all, the custom games played at the start of Nick Arcade to decide which team went first, half were developed by Psygnosis

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21892 on: June 20, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
https://nintendosoup.com/warned-collectors-lied-to-customers-that-their-games-were-in-production/

"Warned Collectors" seems like a pretty apt name for these guys now- we should have taken their advice.   :doge   I pre-ordered one of their games in January and just contacted Paypal to see if I can get a refund.  Glad I didn't get anything else from them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 08:50:16 AM by bork »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21893 on: June 20, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »

Hi-Bit Studios will release “arcade epic” 198X for PlayStation 4 and PC on June 20, followed by Xbox One and Switch “soon,” the developer announced.

Wow didnt even know about this.. gonna buy
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21894 on: June 20, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

Wow didnt even know about this.. gonna buy

Would recommend waiting- it is being released in "two parts" and people seem to be angry about it, claiming that this is currently a two-hour game.  However, these posts were also made before it released, so dunno.

EDIT: There's a Steam user review where the guy says he finished it in 65 minutes, but loved every minute of it.   It's only ten bucks, too.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21895 on: June 20, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21896 on: June 20, 2019, 07:35:35 PM »
Yuzo Koshiro did work on 198x.. He is credited in the music department

I just started it and its pretty dope so far if you like pixel art,, 80's esthetix and cool music
What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #21897 on: June 20, 2019, 08:46:25 PM »
I love Top Hat Gaming Man's "Failed Console" videos. Here he does one on the Game Wave, a Canadian 'quiz game' type console that my friend actually owns.

^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21898 on: June 20, 2019, 09:00:45 PM »
Yuzo Koshiro did work on 198x.. He is credited in the music department

I just started it and its pretty dope so far if you like pixel art,, 80's esthetix and cool music

Played about an hour of 198X and now that I see what it is, I can understand it being a short game- it's more of a short movie done with pixel art and interactive video game segments seamlessly put in.  The quality of each game varies- the beat-em-up looks nice, but is kind of dull.  The shooter is pretty good, the Outrun clone is so-so, and the auto-scrolling ninja action game is fucking awesome and should be spun off into its own full game, lol.  That's where I stopped playing for now.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21899 on: June 20, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »
I love Top Hat Gaming Man's "Failed Console" videos. Here he does one on the Game Wave, a Canadian 'quiz game' type console that my friend actually owns.

Why does the thumbnail have a naked anime girl?
dog