Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3052143 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #21960 on: July 03, 2019, 10:09:18 PM »

:heart the state cares :heart

benjipwns

« Reply #21961 on: July 03, 2019, 11:40:33 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #21962 on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:01 AM »

wow at all that unleashed power! :gladbron

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #21963 on: July 04, 2019, 01:15:23 AM »
I still remember when we first popped in MGS2 :tocry
Margs

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21964 on: July 04, 2019, 03:45:25 AM »

When I die they should engrave this on my gravestone.

Coax

« Reply #21965 on: July 04, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
Kind of a gripe but it sometimes gets to me just how commercialized both the streaming and gaming video creation scene in general has become thanks to the broad gamification and commercialization of the web in general.

Of the occasional times I've gone looking for Twitch streams of certain game to get a sense of how it plays in a longer format it can be pages before I find one without a facecam, let alone other things that dissuade me like sub-begging titles, etc.

A few months ago when a game was released I browsed streams and three pages worth of scrolling later found one without a facecam. Low subscriber count but a good representation of the gameplay from a decently skilled player. When I brought up his lack of facecam as a positive imo though he began talking about how it was holding back his commercial potential and then went on about channel growth and considering dropping the game due to wanting to ride a wave of something with a known large audience. I mean, I get he wants to made something more of it and that's fine but it when someone random guy is articulating that even the motivation behind playing the game to begin is all profit driven—and there would be countless others—it just reminds me of the state of modern, user-made content.

And then of course there are all the clickbaity videos one sees in most search results and I mean Jesus, seems most are in it just to imitate some video creator career and all its cynical trappings. I guess I can't blame them for trying when that see that potential. It just all seems so desperate. :fbm

BisMarckie

« Reply #21966 on: July 04, 2019, 08:33:31 AM »
Watching twitch streamers that try so hard to become big time yet fail to crack double digit viewers is the cringe I need to get me through the day.

Chooky

« Reply #21967 on: July 04, 2019, 08:44:39 AM »
what's wrong with a facecam? most of the time they're still sitting there running the game enough for you to see what it's about.

when i first started watching streams i used to only look for ones where the streamer didn't even talk, because i also only wanted to see the game. but as i started watching "normal" streamers i see that besides money (and honestly, who wouldn't want some money when you have to put in serious work to maintain even a small following) most of them seem to do it for the socializing aspect. they basically curate their own chat room communities. i can see the appeal in that.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21968 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:32 AM »
Honestly I was streaming PUBG before I got a facecam, but I honestly feel like I play better without a facecam because I'm not thinking about not having my mouth open while looking for a pixel on my tv to see if it's an enemy  :lol
What

Coax

« Reply #21969 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:35 AM »
what's wrong with a facecam? most of the time they're still sitting there running the game enough for you to see what it's about.

when i first started watching streams i used to only look for ones where the streamer didn't even talk, because i also only wanted to see the game. but as i started watching "normal" streamers i see that besides money (and honestly, who wouldn't want some money when you have to put in serious work to maintain even a small following) most of them seem to do it for the socializing aspect. they basically curate their own chat room communities. i can see the appeal in that.

Yeah, I've seen and understand the casual chat appeal of streams. Some viewers that are interacting clearly see it as a way of hanging out, while some may even be listening just for background noise. There's nothing wrong with that.

Facecams aren't bad per se, it's just to me many have become a shorthand for filtering through content that more likely than not is appealing to a different crowd of viewers (the exception is speedrunning imo, where I think it became common partially for verification purposes). Just as clickbaity thumbnails can be shorthand for reasons of their own, whether of not there may be gems among them.

So I suppose for me it can be refreshing just finding stuff that's shared without the superfluous jazz. I think of toku for example posting essentially private clips of his gameplay here for the relatively small bunch of Borians. Just a handful may see them yet occasionally has some of the better gameplay moments I've seen from certain games tbh.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21970 on: July 04, 2019, 12:23:15 PM »
I think it'd be cool to stream in a mask. Like luchadore mask or skimask.

kingv

« Reply #21971 on: July 05, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »

Huge missed opportunity not launching this on July 4th.

The bad guy in this is rally called Richard hawk? Basically shortened it’s Dick Cock.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21973 on: July 05, 2019, 12:06:36 PM »
payed  :beli

nice drawing tho
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21974 on: July 05, 2019, 12:12:02 PM »
you always got something negative to say huh

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21975 on: July 05, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »
Should check out the other drawings on the account.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21976 on: July 05, 2019, 02:15:47 PM »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21977 on: July 05, 2019, 02:18:03 PM »
And I thought that was what you meant.

And then I scrolled down that guy's Twitter feed a little more.

And then  :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw

And then
:exxy :crazy :exxy  :cornette :whatisthis :exxy
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21978 on: July 05, 2019, 02:21:03 PM »
And then that led me to

help
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #21979 on: July 05, 2019, 03:09:40 PM »
Is this the new Elsa & Spiderman ?
 :donot :goty :oreilly
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21980 on: July 05, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
And I thought that was what you meant.

And then I scrolled down that guy's Twitter feed a little more.

And then  :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw :nsfw

And then
:exxy :crazy :exxy  :cornette :whatisthis :exxy

I'm not one to kink shame, but Jar Jar ?
 :kobeyuck
🤴

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21981 on: July 05, 2019, 03:49:20 PM »
regular jar jar  :yuck darth daddy jar jar  :-[ ???

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21982 on: July 05, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
only cowards kink shame

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21985 on: July 06, 2019, 01:19:24 PM »
you always got something negative to say huh

I was gonna answer no to this but then I remembered I don't wanna be negative so I'm gonna answer with YES

Also Hypnospace Outlaw is amazing
What

kingv

« Reply #21986 on: July 06, 2019, 07:20:16 PM »
Was hypnospace outlaw the one that looked like geocities web pages? I still need to pick that one up.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #21987 on: July 06, 2019, 07:47:40 PM »

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 08:26:50 PM by toku »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21988 on: July 07, 2019, 10:43:45 AM »
And there it is. The AMD Navi.

- No ray tracing
- Still frame skipping
- Longer loading times
- Just about falls in the middle of the RTX 2060 and RTX 2060 Super
- Bargain bin cooling set-up
- Louder than the 2060

+ 7nm
+ 8GB of RAM
+ Price (AMD cut the price a day before launch, always a good sign!)
+ LMAO AMD

🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21989 on: July 07, 2019, 02:18:02 PM »
Nobody:

AMD: Yes our drivers are broken

LMAO this thing runs at 90+ degrees under load

what it should look like
RTX 2070 SUPER

[close]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:37:45 PM by Nintex »
🤴

kingv

« Reply #21990 on: July 07, 2019, 03:17:16 PM »
Price/performance was good enough that Nvidia had to slash prices by like $100 on their top cards. Hard to complain about that.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #21991 on: July 07, 2019, 03:32:00 PM »
AMD: Puts blower fans on its reference designs in 2019.
Reviewers: It's hot and loud af. 
AMD: :pika

At least the GPUs are solid. (Still refuse to pay 350€ for a midrange card. :hmph )

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21992 on: July 07, 2019, 05:48:48 PM »
I was team Red for a while.

The HD5850 was a nice piece of kit but I believe it got outgunned by Crysis 2 and BF3 and the likes. At which point I bought a new GPU.
That new GPU was the HD7950 and it caused all sorts of problems. Frame skipping, screen tearing the whole shebang. AMD promised driver fixes of which few materialized.
I watched my buddies with Nvidia cards happily play the latest releases, while I was waiting for AMD to release another 'hot fix' so a new game would actually boot or not be stuck at 20fps.

I was so let down by AMD that I bought a 980 Ti when it launched along with a 4790k build.
About a year ago I dug up the HD7950 for the office PC of a co-worker and it crapped out within a month.

The 980 Ti serves me well for about 4 years now. BFV is the first game I can't run on Ultra on 1440p.

So now I'm looking at replacements. The 2080 Ti is expensive but it could potentially end my performance woes for another 4 years.
However, the 2070 Super seems very decent if the pricing is as promised. AMD is just not worth taking the risk anymore.
A GPU that runs at 90 degrees with fluctuating voltages and broken fan control drivers that's a yikes from me.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #21993 on: July 07, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
It's always best to wait for partner cards to come out, regardless of anything.

Shuri

« Reply #21994 on: July 07, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
Metal Wolf Chaos is garbage. So many people are going to feel letdown..

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21995 on: July 07, 2019, 09:56:21 PM »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21996 on: July 07, 2019, 10:58:58 PM »
Metal Wolf Chaos is garbage. So many people are going to feel letdown..

Nobody cares about the gameplay.
dog

Coax

« Reply #21997 on: July 08, 2019, 06:46:42 AM »
Haven't played any games by this dev before but this looks pretty good. Reminds me of Anno 1404.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21998 on: July 08, 2019, 08:57:53 AM »
I can't find anything about the developer, so this might be their first game.
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21999 on: July 08, 2019, 11:02:43 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/cage36/destiny_2_does_not_work_with_new_ryzen_3000/
Destiny does not work on pc with the new Ryzen 3000 series Cpu's. After clicking the play button on battlenet it says the game is running and the destiny 2 exe will show up in task manager but only shows that its using 5-10% cpu but it never will start. A couple threads have popped up on the bungie forums and it seems to be affecting all variants of motherboard /ryzen 3000 setups. Tried reinstalling windows 3 times over with full formats between and reinstalling drivers each time. Bungie halp

:idont
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22001 on: July 08, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »
Tried reinstalling windows 3 times over with full formats between and reinstalling drivers each time.

:notlikethis
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #22002 on: July 08, 2019, 01:26:13 PM »
Ahh the joy of pc gaming

troubleshooting some bullshit issue you dont know how the fuck it even spawned itself into existence  :lol
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22003 on: July 08, 2019, 02:44:45 PM »
What is especially weird is that AMD has added a new much improved cooling solution to their new Ryzen line-up but not the Navi.

It's not like they would've had to break the bank to add 2 fans to their reference design.

🤴

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #22004 on: July 08, 2019, 04:45:50 PM »
both companies use blower for their reference cards, don't they? what dummy doesn't just wait for 3rd party cards anyway

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #22005 on: July 09, 2019, 12:46:16 AM »
Nobody:

(Image removed from quote.)

what it should look like
RTX 2070 SUPER

[close]
lmao it runs at 196 Fahrenheit, wtf?!
Hi

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar

kingv

« Reply #22007 on: July 09, 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
Nobody:

(Image removed from quote.)

what it should look like
RTX 2070 SUPER

[close]
lmao it runs at 196 Fahrenheit, wtf?!

I saw a dude took a 3rd party cooler and put it on and it ran at around 70F. AMD always uses the shittiest coolers and I have no idea why.

Nuitangg

« Reply #22008 on: July 09, 2019, 12:50:14 PM »
980 ti has been a great card especially if you only play WoW.  :lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22010 on: July 09, 2019, 02:14:30 PM »
I saw a dude took a 3rd party cooler and put it on and it ran at around 70F. AMD always uses the shittiest coolers and I have no idea why.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/catck3/psa_5700_series_custom_aib_designs/

benjipwns

« Reply #22011 on: July 09, 2019, 04:36:30 PM »
I'd never saw this PC Gamer article from last year til now: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-history-of-ion-storm/

Starts from Hall and Romero teaming up due to being upset over the changes to Quake's design and goes through to the problems with making Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 as Xbox leads into Edios finally shutting it down Ion Storm Austin during pre-production of Deus Ex 3.
A few months in, the studio moved into Dallas’s Chase Tower. To get to their office, the designers had to change elevators on the floor which hosted the Petroleum Club. “Which is exactly what it sounds like, a bunch of oil money barons sitting on leather and mahogany smoking cigars [and drinking] scotch,” says Wilson. “And here comes all these young long-haired dudes in shorts and combat boots, going up to the penthouse which those guys absolutely fucking hated. It was really meant for assholes in the oil industry, but suddenly there are these new guys with Ferraris who could afford that place.”
Whatever the reality of Ion Storm’s culture, the press was more than happy to view Ion Storm through the rockstar lens. “John was the perfect personality for them because he had the crazy long black hair and he would say whatever,” Wilson says. “He was driving the yellow hummer and the Ferrari, and had the big McMansion in north Dallas. He was just exactly what they wanted.”

Moreover, Romero’s seemingly abrupt departure from id to start his own, more ambitious company was the ideal story for the media. “A desire for the out with the old, in with the new, because id’s boring now. John Romero’s not even there,” Wilson says. “They created this rivalry between the two companies that would not have existed otherwise, and that led to friction with the technology.”

Wilson was happy to give the press what they wanted, presenting Ion Storm as this bold, ambitious, in-your-face new developer. But nobody factored in the gap between the studio’s boisterous internal culture with the outside image of the company as gaming’s new North Star. “While marketing’s goal was to convey how excited the company was for its products and its future, it had the opposite effect—it came across as egotistical,” Romero says. “Needless to say, the Daikatana ad was a thick layer of icing on that cake.”

Romero refers to the infamous “John Romero is about to make you his bitch” advertisement, which appeared in magazines in the spring of 1997. Wilson explains the ad was created by an agency belonging to the Richards Group in Dallas, specifically the work of the artist who also designed Daikatana’s cover art. Wilson thought it was hilarious, epitomising the in-your-face attitude at the core of the company. “I remember very clearly presenting that ad to John in his cubicle,” he says. “He also thought it was hilarious, and was like, ‘Fuck yes.’ And then he sorta started to think twice about an hour later. He was like, ‘I dunno man,’ and I think my words to him were, ‘John, don’t be a pussy.’ And that was it. He signed off on it.”

Neither the press nor the public got the joke, and from that moment the relationship between Ion Storm and the outside world began to sour. “We let that happen, let ourselves get talked into it, and it was too early and the wrong way to go,” Tom Hall says. “We should have shut up and made awesome games.”
Arguably the biggest mistake Ion Storm made was failing to establish a clear hierarchy within the studio from the start. Romero was Ion’s figurehead, but he never intended to run the business personally. id got rich by making great games and getting other people to sell them, and Romero planned to do the same at Ion Storm. Hall, similarly, was there to make Anachronox. Todd Porter and Jerry O’Flaherty were more business oriented, in theory, but they also had their own teams to run. Wilson, meanwhile, was technically CEO, but had no real executive power. “Myself and the other business guy [COO Bob Wright] owned a combined 5% of the company,” says Wilson. “Those guys owned the rest.”

When Ion Storm moved into the Chase Tower penthouse, the four partners moved from their temporary cubicles into their own offices. These became known as the ‘Four Corners of Power’, reflecting the theoretical structure of the studio. In reality, what emerged from this structure was a battle for supremacy between Mike Wilson and Todd Porter.

Indeed, it’s claimed that Porter’s newfound power had gone to his head. Wilson recalls that in a conversation with the other founders, Porter “asked them to all wear blazers to work so that new people would understand who were the bosses, and they would be respected”. In another instance, Porter asked one of Romero’s level designers, Sverre Kvernmo, to get him a coffee. “In his blazer, just like he was literally the guy from Office Space, like, ‘That’d be great, if you could just get me a coffee?’ It was like, ‘Do you know who that is?’
Between them, Porter and O’Flaherty began encroaching upon other areas of the business. Porter began turning up to Daikatana team meetings, which baffled the designers, and the pair hatched a plan to create a comic book publishing wing of the business
Jordan Thomas was working as a script doctor at Psygnosis when he heard that Ion Storm Austin was hiring. The studio had just released Deus Ex, and was expanding from one development team to two. “They were hiring a cabal of the very best game designers in the world,” Thomas says. He wanted to be one of them.

There was one problem: Thomas had little game design experience. So he created an Unreal Engine level, designed to resemble a mission from Thief, and sent it to Ion Storm. The studio was impressed and granted him an interview, but didn’t give him a job. “I think they wisely realised that my confidence did not match my physical experience,” Thomas says. He was told to get some.

Thomas got a job working for Aspyr on the PC videogame tie-in for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, remaining there for seven months. When that project shipped in late 2001, he applied to Ion Storm Austin again and was granted another interview. The process commenced with a series of phone interviews that included studio head Warren Spector and the design lead of Thief: Deadly Shadows, Randy Smith.

“I had placed massive flash cards on the wall with all of these terms which I had looked up and dissected with interviews from all of them, trying to understand the specific Looking Glass language that they were all so steeped in,” Thomas says. “So this very spartan apartment that I was in at the time was covered in reference as large as I could make it so that while walking around on the phone I could say like, ‘Oh yeah, that’s right, I have something smart to say about that random-ass word.’”

The phone interviews were followed by a written test, in which Thomas had to provide a design document for a level. Thomas pitched a level set in a spooky asylum, and Ion Storm liked it. The company flew Thomas out for another interview, where he was assessed again by Spector and Randy Smith. Following this were several design tests, from sketching out a level blueprint on a whiteboard, to designing a system for a game that wasn’t to Thomas’s tastes, such as “a system for a game that is based on doing taxes for a person who has never done them before”.

This was what it took to become employed at Ion Storm Austin.
Deus Ex was a resounding success both critically and commercially—the only game developed by Ion Storm that managed both. “We had one incredibly bad review. A guy named Tom Chick just, I dunno if he hated me, but he sure hated Deus Ex, wow!” Spector says.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 04:45:38 PM by benjipwns »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22012 on: July 09, 2019, 04:46:41 PM »
Deus Ex was a resounding success both critically and commercially—the only game developed by Ion Storm that managed both. “We had one incredibly bad review. A guy named Tom Chick just, I dunno if he hated me, but he sure hated Deus Ex, wow!” Spector says.
:lol

To upgrade the post:
https://www.filfre.net/sitemap/

Tons and tons of collected (but verbose as fuck) info on old computer games.

benjipwns

« Reply #22013 on: July 09, 2019, 04:50:39 PM »
holy shit those key staff who left in the middle of Daikatana left to make KISS PSYCHO CIRCUS lmao
Loconto was involved in perhaps the most notable of these staff departures. In November 1998, eight Ion Storm employees walked out of the studio to join a developer associated with Mike Wilson’s new publishing venture, Gathering of Developers, which he’d formed with 3D Realms and Terminal Reality after being fired from Ion Storm.

“He needed a team to do the KISS Psycho Circus game, and basically it’s a hard thing to say no when somebody says, ‘We will give you $2 million to start your company if you come do this.’ And we got $2 million to build that game,” Loconto says. It was Loconto who told Romero they were leaving. “[It was] one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life,” he adds. “I would say that he felt personally betrayed.”

benjipwns

« Reply #22014 on: July 09, 2019, 04:52:26 PM »
The one redeeming thing about KISS Psycho Circus is that it has the greatest power up item in video gaming history, to get the higher/double jump you have to find PLATFORM BOOTS.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22015 on: July 09, 2019, 04:52:54 PM »
It would have been even harder to personally betray KISS imho.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22016 on: July 09, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
Plus, Ion Storm didn't even support the Dreamcast, they deserved it.
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #22017 on: July 09, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »
The Dreamcast port is even better, it has all kinds of spelling errors and weird texture problems, like when you go under water everything gets a blue filter over it... except the gun.

It's from the same "company" that ported Railroad Tycoon II to the Dreamcast which has similar major issues.

benjipwns

« Reply #22018 on: July 09, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
holy crap the two lead programmers for the Dreamcast port became high level software engineers at Treyarch and DICE :dead

benjipwns

« Reply #22019 on: July 09, 2019, 05:02:15 PM »
scene at EA

"sir, we need to rewrite Frostbite from scratch or shut down BioWare!"
"quick! get me the guys who ported KISS to the Dreamcast!"