Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3055514 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #25980 on: August 20, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »
Yeah, I mean IOI is a BIG large staffed company as these Hitman games are AAA in terms of assets, visuals, scope and stuff. Hell they've been outsourcing 1/6th of each game to Sumo Digital (I'm assuming that will still happen here as well).

I wouldn't be surprised if the budgets to keep the game and studio running are like 20-40 million per year minimum (so if they need these games to produce income for 2 years, that's 40-80 million needed). Even if they got like 5 million kickstarter, that's not going to keep the entire studio afloat.

Either way, pretty sure IOI as we know it is dead after this game. I'm sure H3 will sell an alright amount because it will probably be quality and they have a dedicated fanbase, but it probably won't sustain the studio for a couple years and there's a chance they're not going to land any big AAA contracts in the meantime from publishers. They remind me of Obsidian's position after Pillars II failed to sell, but in a far worse position.

My guess is either they're shrink down the studio to a smaller indie-ish studio and make smaller $15-20 type releases like they did with Hitman Go and Sniper Assassin on mobile, or maybe MS will buy them like Obsidian. I actually think that would be the best case scenario. They've gotten dumped by Square Enix and dumped by Warner Bros, if they want to stay in the AAA business they're going to need to get 100% bought out by someone.

I understand that and have no beef with them being bought unless it means it is exclusive for a certain platform or store.

Gatekeeping me from your game as a loyal fan unless I buy into Tim Sweeney's storefront is not my idea of a good time.
After the stunt he pulled with Apple I'm not sure how long it'll be Tim Sweeney's storefront  :lol
🤴

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #25981 on: August 20, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25982 on: August 21, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »
Watched the first 2 episodes of Netflix's Highscore gaming documentary thing series.

Episode 1 (7/10)
A nice look at the arcades, especially some hidden history there about the 'enhancement boards' that would turn into Ms. Pac-Man and the likes.
Despite going down the usual path (Space Invaders, Pac-Man, Missile Command etc.) and then the crash with E.T. there were some surprising nuggets in there.

Episode 2 (3/10)
Basically an episode about how Nintendo took over the market after Atari collapsed and an absolute mess. The structure of this episode is very confusing.
I got thrown off by the start, which actually begins with Hip Tanaka talking about sound design and the work he did for Donkey Kong. But then it just jumps from topic to topic.
From the Nintendo World Championship to Nintendo of America working with Japan to design and create the Nintendo Power and a bit about the gameplay consultants. As well as John Kirby and the Universal lawsuit over King Kong.
I see where they wanted to go with this but it is just too much to stick into one episode. It completely lacks structure and becomes a sort of 'greatest hits' parade of Nintendo achievements during the NES era with not enough context.

I remember an old documentary where the journalist went as as far as to visit Yamauchi's mansion only to find it locked next to having in depth interviews with Miyamoto and the likes.
It was structured well, nothing was sugarcoated and very informative.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25983 on: August 21, 2020, 07:51:12 PM »
Episode 3 (5/10)
This starts great like 2, but drops in quality quite a bit. It starts out with Ken and Roberta creating their first RPG with graphics inspired by text adventures: Mystery House.
Also a great deal of time is spend on Ultima. Then we move over to Japan, where they go to Amano. This is where it falls apart after the short interview with Amano because they sort of make it seem like Final Fantasy has the same
characters over and over again and they improve graphically with each game(?) rather than each game having their own unique characters and story.
Even though they skipped Dragon Quest, from here you have a million ways to go. Earthbound, Bethesda, World of Warcraft you name it.
But they turn the story towards GayBlade. A rather obscure game made by someone in protest against Pat Buchanan. Which was super popular but not even the creator has a copy anymore so now there is a social media campaign to find it.
They move into fan fiction theory where Pat Buchanan is living with a gay lover in France and two dogs after having visited the man who made GayBlade. This is utterly ridiculous :dead

So they talk about this 'phantom' game that he once made. After this side story, which takes up over 10 minutes we go back to the creator of Ultima and Ultima IV.
Where he cracks the code about players having to make moral choices and then boom out of the blue, a montage of games that wouldn't exist without these early RPG's such as The Witcher and Skyrim.

Episode 4 (6/10)
This is about Kalinske and SEGA. How they made Sonic etc. . Funny enough, unlike before where Naka gets all the credit it's now actually Oshima and Yasuhara that tell the story. Kalinske's anecdotes are always great. They focus a lot on how SEGA positioned itself as a cooler Nintendo. They throw Madden and Trip Hawkins in there and of course SEGA's Rock the Rock Alcatraz gaming event. The structure is slightly better than the Nintendo episode but still a lot of jumps that don't make any sense. They also don't show anything from Nintendo's perspective at this time. The Madden Story I feel could've been it's own different thing. Especially because the game launched on the Apple 2 first. They act as if Nintendo didn't do anything as SEGA was eating their lunch which is sort of weird considering they frame this as a 'war' between the two. So the SEGA bits are ok'ish, the Madden stuff is a waste. Would've been better to combine the SEGA/Nintendo episodes, to show the back and forth between the two after Nintendo's build-up.

There's a theme in this series where they got a good thing going but then feel the need about 3/4's in put some kind of representation in there. In the first episode it works because the guy actually beat ATARI to inventing cartridges. The second episode is a mess anyway, so here it doesn't matter that they throw in a competitor of the Nintendo World Championship. For the 4th episode it's actually an inspiring story. A guy that keeps trying to work at EA on Madden and introduces African American players in Madden 95. But this was a story about Kalinske, Madden and the Genesis. As inspiring as this is as a sort of epilogue it has no place in the Genesis story of launching the first Madden on console. It basically goes like:
"Madden liked the idea of Madden for Apple 2, we could make the game" -> "Meet the first gay black guy that works at EA. When he got in there he put African Americans in Madden 95!" -> "Finally Madden released on Genesis, another step of Kalinske's plan completed!"

Another thing that that annoys me if that they throw in the wrong games from time to time. When they talk about the first Sonic, they show random scenes of Sonic 1,2,3, Knuckles and what I assume is a fan-game as I don't recall a Gust Planet Zone. With Final Fantasy they say: "The first Final Fantasy was released!" and then you see images of Final Fantasy 1 through 6.

So yeah I like the unique archival footage but the structure is all over the place and the story telling is rather poor. As for the occasional minority/gay shout-out they should've put them in half way or at the end as to not break up the stories they are telling.
Whoever made this needed an editor to piece these things together differently. If I'm watching a documentary about the creation of video games and the Nintendo Era for example. I want an interview with Miyamoto or Tezuka and not a 15 - 20 minutes story about Heinemann who won the Nintendo World Championship or something. Put that in a different episode about how gaming culture evolved or something.

In short this must be a very confusing watch if you don't know the basics about this history.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #25984 on: August 22, 2020, 05:50:41 AM »

:whoo
I'm always so skeptical of these great looking AAA wanabe titles from China or South Korea. They always look great on some level, but do they ever come out?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #25985 on: August 22, 2020, 07:45:22 AM »

:whoo
I'm always so skeptical of these great looking AAA wanabe titles from China or South Korea. They always look great on some level, but do they ever come out?
This one seems to be mostly a vertical slice, too.
Cool imagery though.

paprikastaude

« Reply #25986 on: August 22, 2020, 02:03:17 PM »

Batman's shitty friends :snore

RPG systems instead of combat improvements :snore

multiplayer :snore

open world :snore

Uncharted walking sim level design indoors :snore

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #25987 on: August 22, 2020, 02:21:48 PM »
looks pretty cool. i'm hyped.
pcp

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25988 on: August 22, 2020, 02:34:49 PM »
It's not a GaaS tho  :gladbron
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25989 on: August 22, 2020, 03:09:55 PM »
looks pretty cool. i'm hyped.

Yeah, looks good to me (for an early build).  Hope it turns out better than Arkham Knight.
ど助平

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #25990 on: August 22, 2020, 03:44:56 PM »
Arkham Asylum and Arkham City were great games due to being really focused and tightly designed games.

It was that mixture of Die Hard (one night of fucked up calamity) + Asscreed combat (simple but beautiful and gruesome animations) + MGS stealth (fun toolkit to play cat and mouse with AI) + MetroidVania styled progression = a great Arkham game.

This new Arkham game looks like Mass Effect + Batman, which is very fucking weird.  :lol
OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #25991 on: August 22, 2020, 03:47:20 PM »
Hmm...RPG mechanics and progression aren't really what I want from these games. What I like about the Arkham games is the smooth rhythm barrage that comes from the enemies coming at you and you responding to them. In fact I feel like Origin's did such a good job with Arkham gameplay that I looked forward to more of that. So I'm not sure I like that change as this looks a lot more spongy. Which is not what I would describe the Arkham games as.

And I'm not wild about the designs.

But..Court of Owls is cool. Hopefully no more fucking Joker. And playing as the Bat family instead of Batman is new and different. So I think that's cool.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25992 on: August 22, 2020, 03:56:02 PM »
Level Scaling :barf:
fat

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #25993 on: August 22, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »
 :batman

I’m a Batman whore so I’ll probably get it day one, but…  :-\

Hopefully Suicide Squad isn’t another destiny clone  (Narrator: it is)
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #25994 on: August 22, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #25996 on: August 22, 2020, 07:53:44 PM »
https://twitter.com/InternetSlug/status/1297242348540375044

Deus Ex died for this

I was fasting forward and didn't know what was going on at first :goldberg
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:04:01 PM by Spieler1 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #25997 on: August 22, 2020, 08:34:49 PM »
Haha, I tried the beta yesterday and got bored. Best of luck to this game
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #25998 on: August 22, 2020, 08:53:54 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25999 on: August 22, 2020, 10:20:30 PM »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #26000 on: August 22, 2020, 11:10:31 PM »
From Metroidvania and Zelda-like stealth games to... another sassy online shooter :larry And they took like a decade to develop this shit :goldberg

Borealis

« Reply #26001 on: August 22, 2020, 11:39:49 PM »
From Metroidvania and Zelda-like stealth games to... another sassy online shooter :larry And they took like a decade to develop this shit :goldberg

I think they scrapped something major along the way. But yeah, taking at least 7 years for an attempt to just emulate the likes of Anthem/Borderlands/Destiny/The Division???

paprikastaude

« Reply #26002 on: August 23, 2020, 12:26:49 AM »
Despite being the buggiest piece of shit I've ever played, I liked the story of Telltale Batman. I should probably get Season 2.

Bebpo

« Reply #26003 on: August 23, 2020, 01:00:54 AM »
Yeah, there were definitely scrapped games at both studios in the meantime. Still a total mess. To go from hot properties with Arkham games constantly to nothing and then these two, yikes.

I'll play Knights and hopefully it's fun and close to the Arkham games in feel. I liked Origins enough.

Probably won't play Suicide Squad just like I'm skipping Avengers. As a solo gamer, these coop loot GAAS stuff do nothing for me.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #26004 on: August 23, 2020, 02:57:39 AM »
I'm surprised Knights is not four player co-op considering there are four Knights. Also that Robin is, well, that Robin. I'm more interested in it than Suicide Squad, especially Batgirl if she's most similar to traditional batplay. Depends on how close it is to Origins meets The Division I suppose. Also hype for Court of Owls getting Montreal's treatment after how well they handled The Joker.

I think Suicide Squad has been scrapped and started over multiple times at this point, it seemed like Montreal was going to do that immediately after Origins but then went into hibernation, and then a Suicide Squad film came out so they were avoiding it, and now Rocksteady wants away from Batman, but can't get too far away from DC properties, so Suicide Squad offers the most freedom since you can basically pick anyone to be on the team to be flexible. (With Harley as the one character lock you have to have.) I'm interested to see Rocksteady's version of Metropolis. I like traversal. I'm assuming these are just the first four characters and they'll be trying to pour our more over "seasons" since there's tons of Squad members.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:24:22 AM by benjipwns »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #26005 on: August 23, 2020, 04:01:17 AM »
Gotham Knights looks alright to me, the coop makes perfect sense, since they've been toying with the idea of dual combat since Arkham City, the numbers/levels thing seems superfluous, but of course we'll have to see how it's balanced out, although the idea of bullet sponges in a free flow game sound atrocious.
These Arkham games were getting really samey and tiring after 4 entries, so they did need something significant to shake things up, hopefully the coop it's it.
Also i'm not a Batman expert, but all the characters look too similar in terms of gameplay, although Batgirl and Robin are probably the most fun to use (usually their nimble characters were more fun than Batman, see Harley and Cat Woman in City/Knight).

Suicide Squad looks like it has some impressive graphics (assuming the trailer is in-engine) but i found the banter immediately insufferable, and i still don't understand what type of game it's supposed to be.

Speaking of Batman hero shooters though, they already had one such title, remember?  :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26006 on: August 23, 2020, 05:51:56 AM »
Suicide Squad 😂 no thanks
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26007 on: August 23, 2020, 01:51:52 PM »
I'm working on a new montage that's so fucking good I'm pretty astounded
What

kingv

« Reply #26008 on: August 23, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »
It will be awesome in suicide squad when you only interact with Superman during cut scenes.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #26009 on: August 23, 2020, 03:35:43 PM »
I'm halfway through the High Score Netflix video game doc. It's fun. Certainly educational enough even for the vidya forum stalwarts of the world. Some things were familiar to me or I knew them very well, but they were told well where I felt this is appropriate for those who don't know the subject at all.
Plenty of new things I wasn't aware of too (episode 3 for the most part because I'm not really that deep into western RPGs of that time).

The editing is sometimes a little overly epic or goofy in how they try to build things up. I feel like the stories could speak for themselves without some of the music choices in the background, but eh whatever. Keep it entertaining for the average person, sure. Like at times if this was in the background and I was only listening to the narrator and not paying attention to the words I would think there was some light hearted Discovery Channel or Animal Planet easy going documentary about various animals.

All in all it's good though. As a crash course, great. And even for the seasoned dork it has stuff you likely didn't now or didn't know that well otherr than maybe just the very tip of the glacier iceberg.

edit: Tip of the glacier? Who says that?! Tip of the iceberg for crying out loud!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 06:10:25 PM by EchoRin »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26010 on: August 24, 2020, 11:00:27 AM »
Hot off the heels of Goemon, it looks like DDS&Tom have decided to work on Super Chinese World 2 aka Super Ninja Boy 2

https://twitter.com/RetroTranslator/status/1297562200760922113

Loving these translations
fat

paprikastaude

Svejk

paprikastaude

« Reply #26013 on: August 24, 2020, 12:10:58 PM »
Also the GotY dated for November 13th. Sega day :rejoice

https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/1297888568078082048

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26014 on: August 24, 2020, 12:24:43 PM »
Need to hustle on my Yakuza journey. Yakuza Collection should be here today to start Yak 3 next
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #26015 on: August 24, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
Hope you like kids in videogames  :walkaway

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26016 on: August 24, 2020, 08:19:30 PM »
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #26017 on: August 24, 2020, 08:22:21 PM »
Looks cool - it's probably not a "re-telling" but I hope they explore and reveal the Everfall/Ending
fat

Svejk

« Reply #26018 on: August 25, 2020, 12:03:43 AM »
I'll take anything and all that's Dragon's Dogma. :phil

Bebpo

« Reply #26019 on: August 25, 2020, 01:15:17 AM »
Hope you like kids in videogames  :walkaway

Y3 was the last one I played.

Was great! Cool location with Okinawa even though it was small.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #26020 on: August 25, 2020, 04:25:33 PM »
https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/konosuba-gods-blessing-on-this-wonderful-world-labyrinth-of-hope-and-the-gathering-of-adventurers-plus-trailer

There's a Konosuba remake/upgraded edition coming out on Friday in Japan for PS4 and Switch. I'm guessing it's bad. It looks like it is.
Hi

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26022 on: August 26, 2020, 07:21:28 AM »
Is Fall Guys worth the 20 bucks guys?
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #26023 on: August 26, 2020, 08:00:31 AM »
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #26024 on: August 26, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »
I'd say no, unless you play regularly with a group of friends.

Svejk

« Reply #26025 on: August 26, 2020, 09:10:25 AM »
Wonderboy 5  :o

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/08/wonder-boy-asha-in-monster-world-announced-for-ps4-switch

Supposedly, this is actually a Remake of MWIV... updated with 3D characters.    :goty2

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1298547977091313664

Still gonna get it, but this is not what people (fans) really want... unless they already have a plan for a follow up...   It better look damn good when it's revealed this Saturday.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26026 on: August 26, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »
The new Titan is gonna be like $2k and the 3080 doesn't have 16GB?

Kinda odd for launch.  Obviously they'll fill in with other cards later though.

I think this'll be a generation of cards I skip though; we'll see how the start of the console gen goes with PC ports and my 2070.

Are prices already announced?

I doubt you'll be able to get by with a 2070

I'm looking to upgrade my 1060 GTX 3GB to a 3060, but I need to know pricing and release data. I was planning on buying it this year.
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #26027 on: August 26, 2020, 09:40:41 AM »
i'll buy two :success
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #26028 on: August 26, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
Picked up some old stuff at my parents during a clean-up.
That prompted me to start cataloging all the video games that I own, starting with the Wii.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NvafrvvgvvlxipFUyKTkAAjpNrHxOSqjvglZnsHYW7M/edit?usp=sharing

A bunch of these are games I got to review. Next up is the DS and Xbox 360 collection I think.
Those are the systems I own the most games for.
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #26029 on: August 26, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
The new Titan is gonna be like $2k and the 3080 doesn't have 16GB?

Kinda odd for launch.  Obviously they'll fill in with other cards later though.

I think this'll be a generation of cards I skip though; we'll see how the start of the console gen goes with PC ports and my 2070.

Are prices already announced?

I doubt you'll be able to get by with a 2070

I'm looking to upgrade my 1060 GTX 3GB to a 3060, but I need to know pricing and release data. I was planning on buying it this year.
Depends on the resolution. A 2070 should play everything at 60fps or more at 1080p and probably at 1440p too. Throw DLSS 2.0 in the mix and the range increases further.
Cyberpunk is the question mark here but without Ray Tracing should also be able to hit 30 - 60fps on a 2070 and with DLSS 2.0 higher framerates.

Games released this year like Watch Dogs: Legion and Call of Duty will still be aimed at Xbox One / PS4 hardware and run on par with other current gen games.
The real next-gen stuff doesn't hit until Unreal Engine 5 is ready in 2021 or companies with in-house tech like Capcom release their new games.

Outside of Sony first party the difference between current-gen and next-gen will be ray-tracing and resolution for most third party games.
But if Microsoft sets the baseline at the Series S for next-gen than the RTX2070 paired with a Ryzen CPU smokes it on paper  :lol
🤴

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #26030 on: August 26, 2020, 12:03:52 PM »

Damn, this has to be the best limited edition console I've ever seen.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #26031 on: August 26, 2020, 12:37:01 PM »
Who did that PS job though? The spikes are cut out, and the pad is all eaten out, like a quick Magic Wand manouver.  :lol.
And tackyness aside, fur around a console doesn't seem like a good idea.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26032 on: August 26, 2020, 01:08:28 PM »

I love how cinematic this is  :lol
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #26033 on: August 26, 2020, 01:51:01 PM »

That looks really fun actually.  Reminds me of Bad New Baseball on NES for some reason.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26034 on: August 26, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #26035 on: August 26, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
I'd say no, unless you play regularly with a group of friends.
Fall Guys feels like one of those games that should be f2p that they get away with charging for anyway, like Overwatch.
Hi

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26036 on: August 26, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »

Gonna send this to Wrath on Twitter so he sees it. :whew
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #26037 on: August 26, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »
Sony's just trolling now

lmao this clown industry

https://twitter.com/charlieINTEL/status/1298703460871921664
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 07:59:32 PM by Nintex »
🤴

Coax

« Reply #26038 on: August 27, 2020, 04:35:20 AM »
Are prices already announced? I'm looking to upgrade my 1060 GTX 3GB to a 3060, but I need to know pricing and release data. I was planning on buying it this year.

Rumored pricing for the Founders Edition/reference cards according to leakers were:

Code: [Select]
3090 (24GB):  $1400 ('corrected' from the initial $2k they tweeted)
3080 (10GB):  $800
3070 (8GB):   $600
3060 (?):     $400

Then there is also the 20GB model of the 3080 which was leaked and claimed to be exclusively for AIBs and won't be launching with the Founders Editions but sometime in October. Some estimate $200 extra for that model but we'll see.

There's a 16GB model for the 3070 but there's no estimated date for its release, while the 8GB model is expected to be second half of Sept (which I'm not sure is realistic or not tbh).

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #26039 on: August 27, 2020, 04:37:35 AM »
https://www.ign.com/articles/batman-gotham-knights-co-op-combat-biggest-questions-answered
Is this a fully open world? Will areas be blocked off or level-gated?
Patrick Redding: "It is one open world city, right from the start. And no, there's no level gating whatsoever."

What do enemy levels mean to the player, then?
Patrick Redding: "It's true that, as you are getting more powerful in your progression, you're gonna see a sliding scale in terms of not just the level of the enemies, but even some of the types of enemies that you're going to be coming up against. But it's not a grind, it's not a situation where you'll say, 'Oh, God, I have to go grind this type of mission in order to level up to this, and then I can get this.'

"It's really that, when you encounter open-world crime activities (and other activities that involve the AI), you're going to see a range, right? You might see guys that are a little bit weaker than you, and guys that are a little bit stronger than you. And how you approach each of those situations, it presents you with some choices that you're going to have to make. Like, 'Is this a situation where I'm going to maybe swap out a piece of equipment, because I think I'm going to handle it better that way.? Do I want to take a more stealthy approach?' All of those are options that are available to the player and, and the level of your enemy is just one factor in deciding that."
Is this a game-as-service?
Fleur Marty: "This is very much not designed as a game-as-service. There is an ability tree, which is different for each of the characters, and then there's gear that you craft - and so choices that you're going to be making - but that does not mean that this is a game-as-service.

So Gotham Knights is a single, self-contained story?
Fleur Marty: "Yes, absolutely. That you can also completely experience in solo if you want to, you're not going to miss out on anything. If you're playing single player, you can be offline if you want to. We think that teaming up and living that dynamic duo fantasy can be also a really great experience for players, but we won't force it on them."
Was this always a non-Arkham game?
Patrick Redding: "Yes, 100%. That was something we arrived at early on. We want this to be the start of something, not just the continuation or the prolonging of something. It was always intended as a new franchise set within DC's Batman universe, obviously. Once we had that as, not a blank slate, but a clearer possibility space, then we started arriving at some of these other ideas that allowed us to kind of move in a very different direction and, you know, take the step of... killing Batman."