Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3044404 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27060 on: February 02, 2021, 12:38:28 PM »
'remaster'

:lol

Keep in mind the previous EA 'remaster' which basically was just 1:1 with the original and in some cases the original looks better

Yeah I miss Mass Effect too, especially when it was good like the first game.

Dont be an idiot and buy this shit for 60 bucks though, unless you have money to burn or something.

Its also great the trailer is all cinematics, no gameplay whatsoever. Really shows confidence.
What

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #27061 on: February 02, 2021, 12:39:10 PM »
I can't think of any gaming trilogy or series that did what Mass Effect did in one console generation. Taking your main character through a trilogy of games where attention was given to small and big choices you made, in a brand new science fiction universe, while feeling like a large scale space war opera.....

Nothing has come remotely close. Mass Effect Andromeda was a failure not just because of its fucked up development, but there clearly was no vision for what sequels came after it's release.

For new Mass Effect to work, it has to be a trilogy that gets delivered over the course of six to seven years. You can't have one Mass Effect in a console generation. That's not living up to what the original series did.
OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27062 on: February 02, 2021, 12:40:21 PM »
Mass Effect was pretty great for its time. Going back to it is rough though.

stilted dialogue, animations, mediocre combat system.
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27063 on: February 02, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »
Are you confusing remaster and remake?

A remaster is mostly the original code running on more modern hardware with little tweaks like running the PC High/ultra setting as opposed to the most likely low quality settings that the original consoles games had and maybe a 60fps mode.

mormapope

« Reply #27064 on: February 02, 2021, 12:47:01 PM »

Sounds a lot like Cyberpunk in 2020  :teehee

Mass Effect to me entails the entire trilogy, not just Mass Effect 1. The worse part of 1 is the side content and mako driving. In Mass Effect 2 it's the mining mini game. In Mass Effect 3 it's the ending.

OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27065 on: February 02, 2021, 12:48:35 PM »

Mass Effect to me entails the entire trilogy, not just Mass Effect 1. The worse part of 1 is the side content and mako driving. In Mass Effect 2 it's the mining mini game. In Mass Effect 3 it's the ending.

Dunno, never had those issues with Cyberpunk but I know you're joking.

Never played 3, had a good enough time with 1 and 2 that I never bothered to go and actually play 3.

Started it a few times, but it never grabbed me either.

ME1 was great, ME2 was already getting worse because of the entire mission, the entire game was the mission and there werent a lot of cool interesting side missions if I remember correctly.

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27066 on: February 02, 2021, 12:49:18 PM »

A remaster is mostly the original code running on more modern hardware with little tweaks like running the PC High/ultra setting as opposed to the most likely low quality settings that the original consoles games had and maybe a 60fps mode.

Let's not get into remake/remaster because companies will call it whatever they want.

So lets not call it a 'remaster', let's just call it what we always called it. A port.
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27067 on: February 02, 2021, 12:56:56 PM »
It's still a remaster.

Port means going from one platform to the other. That you don't understand what the words mean is something different.

mormapope

« Reply #27068 on: February 02, 2021, 01:03:27 PM »

Dunno, never had those issues with Cyberpunk but I know you're joking.

Never played 3, had a good enough time with 1 and 2 that I never bothered to go and actually play 3.

Started it a few times, but it never grabbed me either.

ME1 was great, ME2 was already getting worse because of the entire mission, the entire game was the mission and there werent a lot of cool interesting side missions if I remember correctly.

A huge chunk of side content  in Mass Effect 2 were the loyalty missions for the entire cast and party of the game. And those were by and large the best pieces of content in the entire franchise.  :lol

Let's not get into remake/remaster because companies will call it whatever they want.

So lets not call it a 'remaster', let's just call it what we always called it. A port.

https://mobile.twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1356633720539742209?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1356633720539742209%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Plus there are screenshots showing different assets and textures for Mass Effect 1.

OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27069 on: February 02, 2021, 01:41:02 PM »
It's still a remaster.

Port means going from one platform to the other. That you don't understand what the words mean is something different.

I know the meaning, but in the past a upscaled version that was ported to another console is very consistent with these 'remasters'.

Since they are basically just the PC version, ported to other platforms.

In this case, the PC version isnt getting so much a 'port' as the same version sold with some graphic fidelity improvements.

So yes it is a port. Its the PC version ported to consoles.

A huge chunk of side content  in Mass Effect 2 were the loyalty missions for the entire cast and party of the game. And those were by and large the best pieces of content in the entire franchise.

I know, those were the best. But aside from loyalty missions, there wasnt much.

Dont @ me

Mass Effect was good for its time. Let's not try to hang it up as some kind of legend of gaming.
What

mormapope

« Reply #27070 on: February 02, 2021, 02:16:24 PM »

Can't wait for this legendary game series to come back
 :lawd

Mass Effect was good for its time. Let's not try to hang it up as some kind of legend of gaming.

You're right. It's a niche lil RPG series that EA has remastered because there's definitely no demand for it. They just wanted to launder FIFA money or something.
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27071 on: February 02, 2021, 02:34:56 PM »
Full run down of the changes

The Mass Effect series was incredible, at the scale it delivered :lawd
I remember jumping in with ME2 on PC and was just blown away by it, next I played Mass Effect 1 because I just wanted more Mass Effect and finally when it came out Mass Effect 3 on day one.
The best set of RPG's of the 360/PS3 era probably. There's other WRPG games I have a soft spot for from that era like Deus Ex: Human Revolution but Mass Effect was just in a different league.
A lot of things that happened that generation have since been improved upon or I've simply forgotten about.

Mass Effect remains legendary to this day.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27072 on: February 02, 2021, 03:45:32 PM »

Can't wait for this legendary game series to come back
 :lawd

You're right. It's a niche lil RPG series that EA has remastered because there's definitely no demand for it. They just wanted to launder FIFA money or something.

Im not saying they werent good games for its time? 🤷🏼‍♂️

What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #27073 on: February 02, 2021, 03:48:20 PM »
Wtf did they do to Femshep's face?  :betty

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #27074 on: February 02, 2021, 05:19:37 PM »
i bought mass effect 3 on 360, my bro borrowed it as i was busy and his 360 chewed up the first disc. never got around to playing it after that  :'( ME1 and 2 were so sick. look forward to diving back into this jank  :rejoice
◕‿◕

Beezy

« Reply #27075 on: February 02, 2021, 05:33:45 PM »
I wasn't expecting it to happen, but I was still kinda hoping that ME3 multi made it into this remake. Oh well.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27076 on: February 02, 2021, 06:32:22 PM »
I wasn't expecting it to happen, but I was still kinda hoping that ME3 multi made it into this remake. Oh well.
I believe you can still play this on Wii U, but mostly because everyone forgot about it  :teehee
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27077 on: February 02, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
I'm interested in seeing what they did for ME1, personally. I thought the combat and the sidequests were 2 weak links in what is otherwise the most interesting story/setting of the series. ME2 and 3 felt much less like RPGs and much more like linear 3rd person action games with a dialogue tree and only the barest of RPG elements.
^_^

Coax

« Reply #27078 on: February 03, 2021, 12:40:15 AM »

No idea how this would play as a game but has an interesting animation short style not seen too often.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27079 on: February 03, 2021, 02:54:02 AM »
Apparantly Goldeneye XBLA is now out *there* somewhere

look on archive.org

im dling xenia rn because my 360 isnt modded
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27080 on: February 03, 2021, 03:22:18 AM »
FINALLY IM PLAYING THE GOLDENEYE XBLA REMAKE FUCK YES WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #27081 on: February 03, 2021, 04:03:16 AM »
Since they are basically just the PC version, ported to other platforms.

In this case, the PC version isnt getting so much a 'port' as the same version sold with some graphic fidelity improvements.

So yes it is a port. Its the PC version ported to consoles.
It doesn't look like it. The PC versions had different controls mechanics and were altered from the console versions to begin with. I doubt they're porting mouse friendly controls into the console versions of the remaster rather than keeping the controller friendly ones.

They're inserting new textures across the game not simply porting the old PC textures or even high resolution versions of those old PC textures. They're redoing the cinematics.

If anything the remasters will be slightly more friendly with PCs than the originals which have over a decade of legacy crap in them. Fire up ME1 and try to play it at 1080p (not even 4K!) with proper FOVs and everything out of the box. (Hint: You can't.) The cinematics are definitely not made for 4K. Not to mention having all the DLC integrated rather than the piecemeal setup it can be on Origin.

There have been remasters that have been basic ports but this doesn't look like one. BioWare and EA both want to take some of the tarnish off the Mass Effect brand and the BioWare name so they can do something with it again.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27082 on: February 03, 2021, 08:13:33 AM »
Yeah it does look a bit different in spots. Not sure if that's for the better though.

What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27083 on: February 03, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-mass-effect-legendary-cache-features-a-game-case-with-no-game/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=twitter.com

:lol

"The game itself isn’t part of the Mass Effect Legendary Cache. But if you have it, you can display it in this premium metal game case. And even if you don’t, the art on the case still makes it well worth showing off."

150 USD for this crap
What

Bebpo

« Reply #27084 on: February 03, 2021, 07:07:02 PM »
All the shots people are posting just make it look like ME1 is now

Lens Flare - The Game.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27085 on: February 03, 2021, 07:29:33 PM »
https://twitter.com/BiowareGear/status/1356716769499570178

Damn, no CE for Europe and $80 for shipping is a bit much.
Guess I'll go digital then and maybe pick up some merch down the line like I did for Cyberpunk.

After all I already have the Mass Effect 3 CE.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27086 on: February 03, 2021, 07:52:28 PM »
Yall remember this

Good shit
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #27089 on: February 04, 2021, 12:25:25 AM »
:bowsette  :gaas  :drool
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #27090 on: February 04, 2021, 01:07:36 PM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/comments/lcingk/akira_yamaoka_silent_hill_composer_teases_next/
"Akira Yamaoka teases his next project will be revealed, "Sometime around summer," and it'll be a project, "people may have been hoping to hear about.""

stahp  :mjcry

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27091 on: February 04, 2021, 02:04:13 PM »
The Medium 2.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27092 on: February 04, 2021, 02:07:39 PM »
Thankfully it's way too early for that shit at least :playa

Bebpo

« Reply #27093 on: February 04, 2021, 02:18:51 PM »
Silent Hill concert series

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27094 on: February 04, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
Silent Hill Radio Drama
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27095 on: February 04, 2021, 03:18:01 PM »
oohh drama monday gonna be crazy
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27096 on: February 05, 2021, 03:28:24 AM »

Does this sound like the pokemon battle music to anyone else?
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27097 on: February 05, 2021, 05:11:58 AM »
So Masahiro Ito on twitter said he's not involved in any Silent Hill, either he's bullshitting, or they're gonna get some randos again? I would rather have no Silent Hill than another one made by whoever.

EDIT: "whoever" includes Kojima, please don't let him work on Silent Hill.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27098 on: February 05, 2021, 02:59:05 PM »

Does this sound like the pokemon battle music to anyone else?
It reminded me of DOOM more than anything else  :doge

@22 sec or so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSsfjHCFosw
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #27099 on: February 05, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »
So Masahiro Ito on twitter said he's not involved in any Silent Hill, either he's bullshitting, or they're gonna get some randos again? I would rather have no Silent Hill than another one made by whoever.

EDIT: "whoever" includes Kojima, please don't let him work on Silent Hill.

Also the Yamaoka interview has been pulled off the internet :thinking

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #27100 on: February 06, 2021, 02:51:30 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27102 on: February 07, 2021, 06:13:53 AM »
attn gamers registration has reopened so if you know more fun gamers have them join us
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27103 on: February 08, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
A little birdie told me that the Prince of Persia remake was apparently so far removed from the original game that it was hardly a remake anymore and they had to completely reboot the project.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27105 on: February 08, 2021, 11:24:31 PM »
Is that the Switch version?
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27106 on: February 09, 2021, 06:47:42 AM »
It looks kinda cool.

A little birdie told me that the Prince of Persia remake was apparently so far removed from the original game that it was hardly a remake anymore and they had to completely reboot the project.
the trailer looked 1:1, aside from the shit graphics.  ???

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27107 on: February 09, 2021, 11:09:07 AM »
How did Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy get an 8 as a review grade on metacritic 😂 mediocre game
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27108 on: February 09, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »
How did Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy get an 8 as a review grade on metacritic 😂 mediocre game
Bit of a novelty at the time.
As someone who played it D1, the first half with the murder thing was kind of intriguing, then it turned to absolute shit of course.
Shemue already handled QTEs much better though, so that part was just always bad.

They did evolve that formula well though, Detroit is probably the best example of the genre, mechanically.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27109 on: February 09, 2021, 01:24:56 PM »
The murder parts and where you switch characters and can get caught in the diner was cool.

But yea, the aliens parts and the QTE's were terrible

Also the story was shit at the end if I remember correctly.
What

mormapope

« Reply #27110 on: February 09, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »

Bit of a novelty at the time.
As someone who played it D1, the first half with the murder thing was kind of intriguing, then it turned to absolute shit of course.
Shemue already handled QTEs much better though, so that part was just always bad.

They did evolve that formula well though, Detroit is probably the best example of the genre, mechanically.

That's about it, there weren't many cinematic games back in 2005. Part of the reason why Half Life 2 sweeper GOTY in 2004, the pacing and flow with a story told incredibly well was special back then.

Indigo Prophecy also had the best demo possible. The diner scene at the beginning was the best slice of the game. I remember playing it around launch on Xbox. The game jumps the shark once the main character "dies" and starts using Neo powers.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27111 on: February 09, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »
Indigo Prophecy is a 12/10 it takes bravery to go all out batshit insane like that game
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27112 on: February 09, 2021, 02:13:07 PM »
Crash 4 is getting a next-gen upgrade + Switch + PC release next month. Free upgrade for PS4/XB1 owners thankfully
fat

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27113 on: February 09, 2021, 02:13:46 PM »
David Cage is a hack writer, but he (and Quantic Dream) tried to do something different, and brought some value to the industry by virtue of that.  :yeshrug

BIONIC

« Reply #27114 on: February 09, 2021, 03:03:35 PM »
Crash 4 is getting a next-gen upgrade + Switch + PC release next month. Free upgrade for PS4/XB1 owners thankfully

I wish I got on PSN when it was half off  :goldberg

Didn’t expect them to do a free upgrade, so I held off.
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #27115 on: February 09, 2021, 03:25:32 PM »
New games for the anime weirdos

Hentai vs Evil gets my pick for the Please reassess your life if you're playing this award
Spud

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27116 on: February 09, 2021, 04:17:42 PM »

Launch price of the next-gen version is $40 anyway. Wait another month, and it'll be half-off of that.
©@©™

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27117 on: February 09, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »

Hentai vs Evil gets my pick for the Please reassess your life if you're playing this award
Looks like one of those horrid asset flips.
I do wonder who'd play that shit unironically.
Even if you're absolutely obsessed with animu shit, there's about a trillion other better things to play in the style.

BIONIC

« Reply #27118 on: February 09, 2021, 04:53:56 PM »

Launch price of the next-gen version is $40 anyway. Wait another month, and it'll be half-off of that.

According to the ree thread, next gen is 60, while PC and Switch are 40  :doge
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27119 on: February 10, 2021, 12:13:09 PM »

Pretty sure I know who went after that for EAS to publish.  Expect to see a physical CE for pre-order go up on Play-Asia sometime later. :lol

Can't believe Sony is allowing a game with "Hentai" in the title on their store.

I like that pervy Qix rip-off and the hell-themed SHMUP.
ど助平