Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3055959 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27720 on: April 22, 2021, 08:11:07 PM »
Gameplay looks so generic too  :doge
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #27721 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:59 PM »
So looking at game pass and how indie developers are responding, is this just basically game developer welfare? So many stories of game developers saying “man I have x amount of players I would have never gotten without Microsoft” doesn’t that just kind of affirm that there’s too many games now? The only way your game gets seen is if a corporate entity cuts you a check, and let’s you into their walled garden?

Kinda sad, back in the day indie developers made games and hoped they were good and sold and made money. Now that everyone and their grandmother can fire up unity, it seems the end goal is to get that buyout cash. Like how startups are made mostly to hopefully be bought out by a big Corp.
You have a too rosy view of the past. The cycle has always been startups -> consolidation -> new startups -> consolidation -> new startups.

There's more indie developers than ever and far more are sustainable than ever. They are almost universally playing the field rather than hooking up with a walled garden from day one.

Microsoft's recent purchases have been all over the place in terms of where those companies exist in the cycle. Their biggest purchase was of a publisher that existed for 30 years that had itself gobbled up a bunch of indies (id, Arkane, etc.) in the last cycle of consolidation. Even Epic put more money into well established developers and publishers than it did buying indies. (And they themselves were independent until this decade.)

And we'll probably see, in two or three years, especially once this generation gets established, probably a whole new wave of indies spinning out of Microsoft and Epic's purchases.

Look at someone like Peter Molyneux, his career is this cycle. Bullfrog (1987) -> Sells to EA (1995) -> Lionhead (1997) (Plus Mucky Foot, Lost Toys, Media Molecule, Big Blue Box, etc. all spinning out of Bullfrog) -> Sells to Microsoft (2006) -> 22cans (2012). (Probably hasn't sold to anybody because they haven't produced anything. :doge)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 10:37:49 PM by benjipwns »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #27722 on: April 23, 2021, 04:36:16 AM »
how can you forget that cube game on mobile that ended up being some weird scam
(ice)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27723 on: April 23, 2021, 05:12:59 AM »
Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube?

Having the final prize being a giant fuck you was pretty cool.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #27724 on: April 23, 2021, 05:18:55 AM »

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

molyneux da gawd :bow :bow2
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27725 on: April 23, 2021, 06:44:45 AM »
Moleyneux is crazy af haha but I love most of his games
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #27726 on: April 23, 2021, 09:09:55 AM »
E3 becoming boring and shite probably directly correlates with Big Pete not going there anymore and talking mad shit and inventing key features on the spot for a game that ships in 4 months
:rejoice
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27727 on: April 23, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

It's been well over a decade since he made anything of value, though.
dog

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #27728 on: April 23, 2021, 12:06:09 PM »
godus was the game of the decade :ufup
(ice)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27729 on: April 23, 2021, 12:24:58 PM »
no
dog

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27730 on: April 23, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »
Just wait for the corpo's at Microsoft to mess up their new Fable project (again) so Molyneux is brought back to CONTINUE THE JOURNEY.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #27731 on: April 23, 2021, 12:44:21 PM »
You already posted the press release for when it happens!

Starting a new Journey for Fable!

We hope you were as excited as we are taking a first look at the new Fable experience we are creating.
Our community of Fablies is very important to us and based on your feedback we realized we need a bit more time to
create the ultimate Fable experience that fans have been waiting for.

To make this possible we've asked Peter Molyneux to join the team at PlayGround Games.
For those of you Steves and Sea of Thievers that have recently discovered Xbox -
Peter Molyneux was the original creator of Fable and pushed innovation at Xbox Studios (known then as Microsoft Game Studios) to new levels.
We welcome Peter to the team and before we take you on this new Fable Journey a few words from Peter.

Peter Molyneux: "Fable to me is a dream. The project that I originally created and I always wanted to go back to.
I am very grateful that Xbox Studios has once again put their faith in me. You could say I feel like Atlas
carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. And with that same responsibility I will assume duties
as creative director of this new massive, immersive and beautiful Fable experience. Powered by the latest technology.

When you wake up in this new world as Atlas, Richard, Hercules, Odessa or Margaret,
you will feel immersed by vast cities, with independent AI for every NPC. These NPC's can fall in love and start families,
creating an infinite number of new characters who will move into the world and start new towns and cities.
There can be love, there can be war, there can be festivities, there can be adventure and most of all there will be dreams.
Fable is the game of your dreams and Xbox will power those dreams and we can't wait to show you more in the future!"

Dream on Fablies!

:rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27732 on: April 23, 2021, 02:23:57 PM »

I thought he quit gaming development?
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27733 on: April 23, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
Supposedly 22cans is still working on something.
dog

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #27734 on: April 24, 2021, 06:09:18 AM »
:phil
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27735 on: April 24, 2021, 06:39:44 AM »

Jaffe compares a bunch of streaming services.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27736 on: April 24, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »

A Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang, and Guardian Force collection got announced for PS4 and Switch!
ど助平

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27737 on: April 24, 2021, 11:39:01 AM »

I thought he quit gaming development?

He's being smart and keeping a low profile. Not just because of the general vitriol towards him for his games and lies. If people think the stories about CDPR or Naugthy Dogs work environment are bad, then they wouldnt believe what happened at that cunts studios. Well I doubt Schreier can bother, Molyneux isnt really big news anymore unlike the other two devs. But fuck me, Molyneux is a cunt, and it's one of the main factors in him failing time and time again. All the people he had close to him, who could have a vision and make it become a game are long gone, and now it's just him, and whatever desperate people straight out of university he can hire now.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #27738 on: April 24, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »
Someone (i think it was eurogamer) did a big expose post godus talking about lionhead and his shennaigans, thats when he went off radar iirc.
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #27739 on: April 24, 2021, 11:54:40 AM »
Someone (i think it was eurogamer) did a big expose post godus talking about lionhead and his shennaigans, thats when he went off radar iirc.

Would love to read this if anyone finds it.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27740 on: April 24, 2021, 12:03:07 PM »

Would love to read this if anyone finds it.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-12-lionhead-the-inside-story

It's a long but great read. But doesnt really tell the story of how he would belittle people in front of everyone at meetings, or the press and so on. When I was fucking 16, I went to Lionhead and had Molyneux belittle/make fun quite harshly of his fucking assistant, right in front of me. She just simply said he couldn't show us something (early milo prototypes, before kinect was a thing) and he went off. Was extremely awkward, and it almost felt like he did it just so he could show me and the few others there, how he controlled the show. Extremely cunty behaviour.

Tasty

« Reply #27741 on: April 24, 2021, 12:50:57 PM »
Too many Steve Job types and not enough Tim Cook types.

Tasty

« Reply #27742 on: April 24, 2021, 01:08:35 PM »
Also thanks for that article! :)

Webley had named his hamster Lionhead because of its huge neck and because it looked a bit like a chap who used to pop up at the local pub who had "ridiculous" blonde curly hair. Molyneux's then girlfriend suggested Lionhead as the name for the studio. It stuck. "As soon as we called the company Lionhead, my hamster died," Webley says. "It was a death wish."

Damn. :lol :'(

Tasty

« Reply #27743 on: April 24, 2021, 03:52:43 PM »

:lol :lol :lol What a metaphor.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27744 on: April 24, 2021, 04:05:12 PM »
This is what happens Larry, this is what happens when you cross the line sign with Microsoft
🤴

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27746 on: April 24, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #27747 on: April 24, 2021, 10:20:59 PM »
https://www.polygon.com/22358945/wii-fit-nintendo-health-ring-fit-adventure
For some, Wii Fit’s legacy is body shame

Years later, many reflect on how Wii Fit impacted their body image

Nintendo wants to make exercise easy and fun. At least, that’s the message the company tries to broadcast through health-conscientious developments like step counters and memory games. The Wii, which got people off the couch and moving, was the perfect encapsulation of that ongoing concern with wellness. And Wii Fit, a video game ostensibly about health, was a logical progression of Nintendo’s fitness games. But sometimes, good intentions aren’t enough.

[Content warning: The following story contains discussions of eating disorders.]

Even now, in 2021, Wii Fit players are still dealing with the consequences of a Nintendo game that harmed their self-esteem back when they were children. Tinisha Osu, a 21-year-old student, told Polygon over Instagram messages that she was only 8 when Wii Fit made her feel ashamed of her weight.

“It caused me to want to hide things from my friends out of fear of judgment, which has stuck with me almost 14 years later,” she said. Based on dozens of testimonials on TikTok that were reviewed by Polygon, she’s not alone in that.
Part of the issue is that Wii Fit would display those body test results every single time you logged into the game. Worse, if you happened to share your Wii with anyone, they’d be able to see those BMI numbers — unless you decided to password lock your account, thereby hiding your Wii Fit profile from view. But if you wanted to play with friends, this could lead to added stress over the label and its public perception.

As one video on TikTok put it, “I was so worried that my parents would find out it thought I was overweight, I password protected it.” Appropriately, the video caption reads, “Wii Fit traumatized everyone.” The video has roughly 325,000 views with the comment section filled with responses like, “this was def the start of my body dysmorphia” and “ME TOO OMG.”
That danger is reflected in testimonies from Osu and others online. “When friends would come round to play, I would tell them that the Wii Fit board was broken because I didn’t want them to see what it said,” Osu told Polygon.

Christopher Sharratt, a 21-year-old who first played Wii Fit with his two siblings, told Polygon that initially, he was excited to play. But once his profile was set up, the game then informed him that he was “underweight,” a prognosis that came with a sad-looking character, Sharratt said over Instagram. It made him feel like he was “the odd one out.” From then on, he became concerned about his weight.

Although Wii Fit came and went as many fads do, the emotional consequences of the game stuck with Osu. Three years later, she developed an eating disorder that she still struggles with to this day. She often gets comments about how she eats, she told Polygon, a direct result of being self-conscious while eating in public.

“I do think that the Wii Fit was the start to this,” Osu said.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:miyamoto
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27748 on: April 25, 2021, 09:08:47 AM »
Makes sense, especially when you're young, you take some of that shit the wrong way and it can fuck you up.

Tasty

« Reply #27749 on: April 25, 2021, 09:43:49 AM »
Nobody tell them scales exist.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27750 on: April 25, 2021, 10:15:15 AM »
Nobody tell them scales exist.
A scale is something you do in the privacy of your bathroom in absolute isolation! :ufup

Tasty

« Reply #27751 on: April 25, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »
On reflection, that was insensitive and I apologize.

If they did it today, they should ask a player's age up front, and if they're <18 or <13 only offer the minigames (without weight tracking.) For players above that, remove any positive or negative signage/connotations from being over- or underweight. Allow users to set a target (manually), and get them to work towards that.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27752 on: April 25, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »
What an awful article.

Here's some anecdotes from people that sound like complete mental cases. Where were the parents in any of this shit?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27753 on: April 25, 2021, 11:17:06 AM »
Buying ds games from japan and reselling them for 25 euros profit 😍
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27754 on: April 25, 2021, 11:20:27 AM »
On reflection, that was insensitive and I apologize.

If they did it today, they should ask a player's age up front, and if they're <18 or <13 only offer the minigames (without weight tracking.) For players above that, remove any positive or negative signage/connotations from being over- or underweight. Allow users to set a target (manually), and get them to work towards that.
Nah i was kidding, but i see how that could affect someone young, in wrong circle of friends and family.
The article though is kind of overly dramatic, as per usual.

In my opinion the idea of shaming usually leads to worse circumstances, and positive reinforcement tends to work better.
In the case of weightloss, for example, seeing an inspirational story of someone losing a bunch of weight, works better than being called a fat cow.
But that doesn't mean accepting harmful "fat acceptance" movements, of course.

I think in general it goes for most things, from exercise to acquiring a skill and studying it, seeing the positive benefit of the work put in, works better than the fear of social shame, which can just lead to a form of anxious paralysis (and regression).

Tuckers Law

« Reply #27755 on: April 25, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »
What an awful article.

Here's some anecdotes from people that sound like complete mental cases. Where were the parents in any of this shit?

The topic notwithstanding, it’s a polygon article.  Expect nothing but terribly sourced and researched lunacy from that place.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27756 on: April 25, 2021, 03:17:22 PM »
Based on dozens of testimonials on TikTok that were reviewed by Polygon

Hard hitting investigative journalism son

:dead

This is like saying Iraqi's were traumatized by Call of Duty while the Iraq war was going on.
Fact is they would've been ashamed of or bullied because of their obesity or developed eating disorders even without Wii Fit.
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27757 on: April 25, 2021, 06:21:59 PM »
Based on dozens of testimonials on TikTok that were reviewed by Polygon

Hard hitting investigative journalism son

:dead

This is like saying Iraqi's were traumatized by Call of Duty while the Iraq war was going on.
Fact is they would've been ashamed of or bullied because of their obesity or developed eating disorders even without Wii Fit.

Very likely, doesn't mean you can't take it into consideration when developing the app.
Wii Fit is that, more than a narrative/artistic product after all, and the psychological component is extremely crucial in the success rate of a diet/life style change.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27758 on: April 25, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »
I dunno, I feel like that's saying millions of kids gave up their music carreer because they didn't make it to expert on Guitar Hero.
Never got Wii Fit myself but I recall trying a demo at Nintendo and I never got the feeling the software was judgemental or anything like that.
It promotes a 'healthy' lifestyle much like those fitbits, health apps etc. do and even if you fucking suck it encourages you and says you did a great job.

She was 8 - 10 when playing it, the age most kids start to become aware of who they are in society and group dynamics and things like bullying come into play.
Their brain probably looks for a pattern or habit that 'explains' whatever trauma they developed and it zoned in on Wii Fit because they used it a lot and it strings together a bunch of incomplete memories.

It is usually with these "aha" moments that people don't quite remember what the "aha" was and the brain has simply stored a pattern to 'save' an important piece of information or memory.
With things like bullying and abuse it is never this 'one off' that is recalled but always the systematically repeated events.
That goes for positive things too. You don't remember that one amazing Turkey that your grandma prepared for Christmas but you do remember the soup she made for lunch every week and what it smelled like.
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27759 on: April 25, 2021, 10:18:25 PM »
fat

benjipwns

« Reply #27760 on: April 26, 2021, 05:27:48 PM »

-GameFan, 1993

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27761 on: April 26, 2021, 05:36:25 PM »
where's are's?!
dog

Svejk

« Reply #27762 on: April 26, 2021, 05:49:35 PM »
Silpheed for Sega CD was one of the most disappointing Sega CD games.  :fbm   Like an idiot, I overhyped myself thinking that the pre-renderred backgrounds were going to be real 3D models.  :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #27763 on: April 26, 2021, 06:25:32 PM »
GameFan went crazy for it:

I remember them also going crazy for Microcosm and some other of those shooters where it was just a sprite superimposed over FMV or CGI backgrounds. :lol
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 06:33:59 PM by benjipwns »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27764 on: April 26, 2021, 07:30:45 PM »
Just read that the Oscars had < 10 million viewers.
Game Awards had 80+ million viewers.

We did it gamers. We won. :success
🤴

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #27765 on: April 26, 2021, 07:38:08 PM »

All the real movie buffs were watching this.

https://mobile.twitter.com/greggturkington/status/1386360533020860419

paprikastaude

« Reply #27766 on: April 26, 2021, 08:44:37 PM »
Keighley :jeanluc

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27767 on: April 26, 2021, 09:35:43 PM »
Silpheed for Sega CD was one of the most disappointing Sega CD games.  :fbm   Like an idiot, I overhyped myself thinking that the pre-renderred backgrounds were going to be real 3D models.  :doge

I had the original on Apple IIgs.

Released in 1988 and looked impressive as hell for the time.  I remember being so disappointed when I played the Sega CD version years later.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27768 on: April 26, 2021, 09:41:34 PM »
It looks and runs better on the PC-88.  This is some good shit for 1986.

:lawd
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #27769 on: April 26, 2021, 10:01:59 PM »

That's actually amazing. :lol Both numbers.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27770 on: April 26, 2021, 11:42:10 PM »
and some other of those shooters where it was just a sprite superimposed over FMV or CGI backgrounds. :lol

Was it Chaos Control?

dog

benjipwns

« Reply #27771 on: April 26, 2021, 11:52:58 PM »
Psygnosis had a bunch of them that was just like it:

The boss thing at the 5 minute mark is pretty wow much 90s CGI :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27772 on: April 27, 2021, 03:32:35 PM »

Gaming Journalism in the Clinton Years :rejoice

"Incredible polygons and intense voice! 10/10"
©@©™

Svejk

« Reply #27773 on: April 27, 2021, 04:06:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Gaming Journalism in the Clinton Years :rejoice

"Incredible polygons and intense voice! 10/10"
And I fell for it hard.   :stahp  I believed everything Dave Halverson or Nick Rox spewed out in that mag.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27774 on: April 27, 2021, 04:17:56 PM »
Don't feel bad, they tricked me into buying Quest 64.  :'(

©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27775 on: April 27, 2021, 04:26:49 PM »
Was it better than Zelda?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #27776 on: April 27, 2021, 11:09:04 PM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Inspired by T E N E T
« Reply #27777 on: April 28, 2021, 12:40:07 AM »

Could be cool, but the idea of choosing rewind is less interesting to me than having the turnstiles limiting access to the ability.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27778 on: April 28, 2021, 06:51:46 AM »

Visuals look incredible, and i'm loving the music too.
I'm not really sold on the voice acting, tho.

I wish they had limited the animations' framerate to simulate stop motion (while keeping the game's framerate smooth).

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27779 on: April 28, 2021, 09:30:48 AM »
Bought an oculus quest 2. Easy to setup away from my pc, which is what has been keeping me from getting into VR again, as I currently dont have the room for it really. Cant wait to play some weird ass vr games again