Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3045145 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27600 on: April 13, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »
Something I found after spending entirely too much time combing through monitor reviews and item listings is that there seems to be a very small number of gaming-oriented displays larger than 27-28"- and literally nothing that runs at higher than 60hz that's 4K 32".  Likewise with TVs- there is only one 32" 4K TV available in the States and it's a VA panel Samsung with ghosting issues.  I owned it briefly last year and it also had flickering issues with the Switch (and only the Switch).

I see that some new monitors at this size with faster speeds have finally been announced, but they're going to have HDMI 2.1 and that means crazy-high prices.  Like $1500 for a 32".  :dizzy  There is an ASUS 43" display that runs at 144hz, has HDR 1000, and is supposed to have good built-in speakers, but it doesn't offer HDMI 2.1 and is a VA panel- one reviewer noted that it had awful ghosting issues at higher speeds.  This seems to be why a lot of people are just getting the LG CX series- nothing else appears to be anywhere near as good if you want a larger display.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:14:15 AM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27601 on: April 13, 2021, 11:22:23 AM »
I'll pirate music because it's so easy just to type a track name followed by Zippyshare and d/l it. But I also purchase a shit-ton of music too off beatport and bandcamp so it evens out, I guess.
Games, only really pirate if their secondhand value is absurd (i.e. Little Samson) or I want a fan translation/hack of a game.
^_^

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #27602 on: April 13, 2021, 05:38:05 PM »
literally nothing that runs at higher than 60hz that's 4K 32"

I see that some new monitors at this size with faster speeds have finally been announced, but they're going to have HDMI 2.1 and that means crazy-high prices. 

that's because hdmi 2.1 is the standard that allows 4k/120 or 8k/60. earlier standards can't support the throughput. you can do 1440p/120. LG CX displays will do 4k/120 because they support that part of the 2.1 standard (but not all of it iirc, like the color bit depth is a little low at this speed or something)
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27603 on: April 13, 2021, 08:02:56 PM »
literally nothing that runs at higher than 60hz that's 4K 32"

I see that some new monitors at this size with faster speeds have finally been announced, but they're going to have HDMI 2.1 and that means crazy-high prices. 

that's because hdmi 2.1 is the standard that allows 4k/120 or 8k/60. earlier standards can't support the throughput. you can do 1440p/120. LG CX displays will do 4k/120 because they support that part of the 2.1 standard (but not all of it iirc, like the color bit depth is a little low at this speed or something)

Putting HDMI 2.1 aside, I just don't get why there's not more 32" high refresh rate monitors out there using displayport.  Almost all of them are 60hz.
ど助平

naff

« Reply #27604 on: April 13, 2021, 08:18:37 PM »
i think you're just in an extremely niche segment man. like sub 1% of computers out there are capable of pushing a 4k/120hz monitor unless they're playing an old ass game. even though displayport has supported it for a while, making a monitor that supports it is expensive and like, no-one has been capable of playing mainstream titles at this res and framerate until somewhat recently with the latest gpu's.

samsung QB50r seems almost right for you though maybe too big. (actually only 60hz, aggregate site i use to list components had it as 120) rog pg43 or xg43 seem perfect too.

an aside, why not 1440p? you'll get higher framerates on pc and likely be unable to tell the difference unless you plant your face in front of the monitor. all the consoles output lower internal res in 99.9% of games anyway, 100% if you choose perf modes.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:29:56 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #27605 on: April 13, 2021, 08:37:19 PM »

:whoo :ohhh

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27606 on: April 14, 2021, 12:09:06 AM »
i think you're just in an extremely niche segment man. like sub 1% of computers out there are capable of pushing a 4k/120hz monitor unless they're playing an old ass game. even though displayport has supported it for a while, making a monitor that supports it is expensive and like, no-one has been capable of playing mainstream titles at this res and framerate until somewhat recently with the latest gpu's.

samsung QB50r seems almost right for you though maybe too big. (actually only 60hz, aggregate site i use to list components had it as 120) rog pg43 or xg43 seem perfect too.

Really just mentioning it because 1440P (outside of games) didn't look as good at 32" as it does at 27", although that could also be the difference between VA and IPS.  But pixel density really makes a big difference, especially when it comes to text on-screen.  Haven't tested 4K gaming out yet with my new PC (has a 3080), but something tells me I'm not going to get 4K (ultra settings) and 120 FPS on most games, if any- it's more of a future-proofing thing.  I looked at the Asus monitors and the newest PG43UQ is the same price as the 48" LG CX, but it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 and it's also a VA panel.  Saw a reviewer mention ghosting problems with it, unfortunately.

an aside, why not 1440p? you'll get higher framerates on pc and likely be unable to tell the difference unless you plant your face in front of the monitor. all the consoles output lower internal res in 99.9% of games anyway, 100% if you choose perf modes.

Already have one!   :)  I use an LG 27GL850-B as my primary monitor and have no complaints about it- 1440P, IPS, great color, super-low input lag, and no visible ghosting. 
:lawd

I am right there with you on the resolution differences (at 27" anyway) being hard to notice.  It's pointless to get a 27" 4K monitor for games, IMO.

This whole thing was to find a secondary display that will also work well for console gaming, although had I kept the Odyssey G7, that would have been my new primary with the LG off to the side.  As things are, just going to keep using the LG as my daily driver and will keep using it for when I want to take advantage of 144hz, although I've read that running games on the CX at 1440P 120hz looks absolutely fantastic because it can scale up so well- but just going to use the TV for consoles, media, and 4K for games where 60 FPS will be just fine like a lot of single player titles and fighting games.  If for whatever reason the TV doesn't pan out, I'm taking that as a sign to just wait and see how the next batch of new monitors turn out in the next year or two.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 12:17:26 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27607 on: April 14, 2021, 08:20:03 AM »
Turns out there is a good 32" IPS gaming monitor out there- the Acer Predator XB323U.  1440P, 144hz, and doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but had I known about this before, I would have just gotten it instead.  :dizzy 

Might still get it if something happens with the TV.
ど助平

BisMarckie

« Reply #27608 on: April 14, 2021, 11:31:32 AM »
currently patching my ps3 games, I forgot how terribly slow the UI is. And I thought the PS4 UI was slow :existential

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27609 on: April 14, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »
Yeah updating and installing man such trash the 360was such a friendlier console
What

Svejk

« Reply #27610 on: April 15, 2021, 11:31:10 AM »

Official PS channel promoting a PC version?  :confused

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27611 on: April 15, 2021, 12:21:17 PM »
The Microsoft Ecosystem :rejoice
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #27612 on: April 15, 2021, 12:26:27 PM »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #27613 on: April 15, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »

Official PS channel promoting a PC version?  :confused

Why not? It's a Sony game.

Also: "Footage captured on PC at 4k/59.94FPS"

Lol not even 60FPS. PC master race my ass.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27614 on: April 15, 2021, 12:46:35 PM »
PlayStation physical media about to balloon in price. Better start stocking up

Just as expected, PS3 games are ballooning on the resale market. If you wanted to dump your PS3 games, now is the time

- Puppeteer ($100+)
- Sly Collection
- Ratchet Collection
- Yakuza Dead Souls
- Folklore
- 3D Dot Game Heroes ($100+)
- etc.

Even some multiplat games are selling more on PS3

- Shadows of the Damned
- Splatterhouse
- Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom

Check eBay obviously
fat

BisMarckie

« Reply #27615 on: April 15, 2021, 01:27:29 PM »
You don’t think these prices will continue to climb?

Have Puppeteer, 3d dot game, shadow of the damned, sly trilogy and ratchet collection CIB in very good condition :thinking

BisMarckie

« Reply #27616 on: April 15, 2021, 01:31:19 PM »
Still have sealed copies of ico/sotc hd, nier and disgaea collection :success

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27617 on: April 15, 2021, 03:09:49 PM »
Do I think they will climb? Probably, but if you want money now then this is a good time to dump that shit. Cause you aint playing it on your PS4 or PS5 anytime soon
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27618 on: April 15, 2021, 03:24:10 PM »
Wow, Puppeteer was selling for $13-$15 on Amazon new for the longest time. 

You don’t think these prices will continue to climb?

Have Puppeteer, 3d dot game, shadow of the damned, sly trilogy and ratchet collection CIB in very good condition :thinking

I have just about everything I've wanted on PS3, too.  Last game I picked up was a copy of Fuse new dirt cheap.

...it's still dirt cheap.  :P

According to Price-Charting, the most-expensive game I have is...Mortal Kombat Tournament Edition?
:confused
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:29:32 PM by bork »
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #27619 on: April 15, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »

Yeah, so was 3D Dot Heroes. They probably tossed 'em all the dumpster because nobody bought them.
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #27620 on: April 15, 2021, 03:41:03 PM »
My MGS Anniversary Collection came today, thinking of picking up Sly also :thinking Bought Shadows of the Damned for like 5 bucks a few weeks back. Not really much I still care to get on PS3, including the stuff that I bought recently, which I was always at best half-interested in. Man, PS360 was just bad for Japanese gaming and oldschool gaming fans. But PS3 had a ton of these HD remasters, for which I'll keep it hooked on. Not to mention easy PS1 play. It covers a lot of range as a retro machine, even though it's a shame that they never made a good model with PS2 disc support.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 03:47:09 PM by Spieler1 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27621 on: April 15, 2021, 04:32:29 PM »

Yeah, so was 3D Dot Heroes. They probably tossed 'em all the dumpster because nobody bought them.

I picked up 3D Dot Game Heroes for $18 a few years ago.  Guess it was worth it after all!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27622 on: April 15, 2021, 04:37:19 PM »
Man, PS360 was just bad for Japanese gaming and oldschool gaming fans.

How so on the former?  Tons of great Japanese titles came out during that gen.
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27623 on: April 15, 2021, 04:58:48 PM »
You could probably scavenge shops / gamestops since most places dont give a shit about PS3 and arent aware of the sudden uptick in resale  :thinking
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #27624 on: April 15, 2021, 05:22:06 PM »
Man, PS360 was just bad for Japanese gaming and oldschool gaming fans.

How so on the former?  Tons of great Japanese titles came out during that gen.

There's a reason people were high on dickwads like Inafune for shitting on Japanese game development during that entire era. Thankfully these days he'd be laughed straight out the room like he deserves to.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27625 on: April 15, 2021, 05:34:45 PM »
There were a lot of good Japanese games that gen but they were all over the place instead of being concentrated in one or two spots like most other gens. Some of the biggest Japanese games shit the bed and then you had a group of brown Target blazer wearin, shaggy haired, thick rimmed glasses hipster indie devs and game journalists pushing the narrative on how Japanese games were bad. I've gone into it before, that Japanese devs had trouble adapting to the middleware-focused HD era, were moving away from home consoles to portables, couldn't keep up with the budgets of western devs, and working against the "new hotness" of western genres on consoles for the first time... but that doesn't mean there weren't still Japanese gems to be found.

Anyways some examples of games I liked from that gen:

PS3: Valkyria Chronicles, Trails of Cold Steel 1/2, Yakuza 3-5, Mamoru-kun Curse, Tokyo Jungle, various Atelier games, Tales of Xillia, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 1 and 2, Ridge Racer 7, Demon's Souls
360: Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Deathsmiles, ESPGaluda 2, Mushihime-sama Futari, Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork, Akai Katana, Ninja Gaiden 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Dead Rising, Child of Eden, Rez HD
PS3/360 Multiplatform: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Dark Souls, Nier, Binary Domain, Street Fighter 4, King of Fighters XI, Rez HD, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4, Sonic Generations, Sonic CD (though this was ported by a westerner)
XBLA: Daytona USA HD, Outrun 2 HD, Radiant Silvergun HD, Guardian Heroes HD, Jet Set Radio HD, After Burner Climax
DS: so many to list, Radiant Historia, The World Ends With You, DQ4-6 and 9, Rocket Slime, Ghost Trick, 999, Kirby Canvas Curse, FF3 DS, Retro Game Challenge, Suikoden Tierkries, Retro Game Challenge, Meteos, the 3 Castlevanias, My World My Way
PSP: Every Extend Extra, Wild Arms XF, Crisis Core, Half Minute Hero, Ys1-2, Ys 7, Ys Oath in Felghana, Trails in the Sky, Lumines, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Hexyz Force, Growlanser IV, Gradius/Twinbee/Parodius Portable
Wii: Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Twilight Princess, Kirby: Epic Yarn, Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Lost in Shadow
WiiWare: Cubello, Mega Man 9 and 10, Gradius/Castlevania/Contra Rebirth

If those games were released this gen (technically some of them did get remasters or up-ports this gen but bear with me :P), owning a Switch plus either a PS4 or PC would grant you access to about 95% of the above and it wouldn't seem like there was a quality Japanese game shortage in the slightest.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 06:00:16 PM by tiesto »
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27626 on: April 15, 2021, 06:21:30 PM »
lmao Capcom ported RE4 to Oculus :dead
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27627 on: April 15, 2021, 06:27:52 PM »
lmao Capcom ported RE4 to Oculus :dead
Honestly a great game for VR.
Playing Alyx, the most fun parts were the slow shooting ones, where you had to aim at small moving elements and carefully place your shots.
RE4 is basically all about that.

and with those graphics, it probably runs on the Q2 untethered.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27628 on: April 15, 2021, 06:31:23 PM »
Yeah, it could work in VR but Half Life Alyx looks great and this looks well...

🤴

Tasty

« Reply #27629 on: April 15, 2021, 06:36:48 PM »
:ohhh I want an Oculus now.

Fucking Zuck. :beli

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27630 on: April 15, 2021, 06:44:13 PM »
Yeah it looks like RE4, but as i said, that could be to run it without the need of a Link, which is a big step in freedom of movement, and freedom to play wherever.

Also, i don't have a Quest 2, but i think you can jailbreak it to avoid the Facebook shit.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27631 on: April 15, 2021, 10:08:34 PM »
There were a lot of good Japanese games that gen but they were all over the place instead of being concentrated in one or two spots like most other gens. Some of the biggest Japanese games shit the bed and then you had a group of brown Target blazer wearin, shaggy haired, thick rimmed glasses hipster indie devs and game journalists pushing the narrative on how Japanese games were bad. I've gone into it before, that Japanese devs had trouble adapting to the middleware-focused HD era, were moving away from home consoles to portables, couldn't keep up with the budgets of western devs, and working against the "new hotness" of western genres on consoles for the first time... but that doesn't mean there weren't still Japanese gems to be found.

PS3: Valkyria Chronicles, Trails of Cold Steel 1/2, Yakuza 3-5, Mamoru-kun Curse, Tokyo Jungle, various Atelier games, Tales of Xillia, Hatsune Miku: Project Diva 1 and 2, Ridge Racer 7, Demon's Souls
360: Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Blue Dragon, Deathsmiles, ESPGaluda 2, Mushihime-sama Futari, Pink Sweets/Muchi Muchi Pork, Akai Katana, Ninja Gaiden 2, Virtua Fighter 5, Dead Rising, Child of Eden, Rez HD
PS3/360 Multiplatform: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Dark Souls, Nier, Binary Domain, Street Fighter 4, King of Fighters XI, Rez HD, Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 4, Sonic Generations, Sonic CD (though this was ported by a westerner)
XBLA: Daytona USA HD, Outrun 2 HD, Radiant Silvergun HD, Guardian Heroes HD, Jet Set Radio HD, After Burner Climax
DS: so many to list, Radiant Historia, The World Ends With You, DQ4-6 and 9, Rocket Slime, Ghost Trick, 999, Kirby Canvas Curse, FF3 DS, Retro Game Challenge, Suikoden Tierkries, Retro Game Challenge, Meteos, the 3 Castlevanias, My World My Way
PSP: Every Extend Extra, Wild Arms XF, Crisis Core, Half Minute Hero, Ys1-2, Ys 7, Ys Oath in Felghana, Trails in the Sky, Lumines, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Hexyz Force, Growlanser IV, Gradius/Twinbee/Parodius Portable
Wii: Xenoblade, Sin and Punishment 2, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Twilight Princess, Kirby: Epic Yarn, Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Lost in Shadow

If those games were released this gen (technically some of them did get remasters or up-ports this gen but bear with me :P), owning a Switch plus either a PS4 or PC would grant you access to about 95% of the above and it wouldn't seem like there was a quality Japanese game shortage in the slightest.

DS saved the gen for classic IPs and new Japanese IPs, but I'm talking about PS3(60). Take handhelds out and it's a mess, especially considering the generation's 8 year duration. Microsoft had a decent push during the start of the 360's life, yet that quickly vanished when they again failed to make any impact overseas. PS3 was left with some ultraniche games like Folklore and Nier maybe once a year. With Yakuza it was a constant question whether it can even continue translated. Slight face saving by Dark Souls and Platinum Games, but big names fell into one embarassment after the other with the likes of RE5/6, FF13, Sonic06, etc.

When PS4 "mid tier" development started to gain some steam around 2015, in only a few years the "last" generation library blew the entirety of PS360 Japanese/"mid budget" efforts out the water by a tenfold. When I'll eventually upgrade games like Bayo/Vanquish or crossgen titles over to PS4/5/BoneSex, I'll have almost nothing left on PS3 but retro games and remasters, plus a few oddballs like MG Rising and the seemingly best version of Nier.

naff

« Reply #27632 on: April 15, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
omg, sick. you dont need realistic graphics for vr to be immersive, just needs to have a high framerate. low poly, high rez, high framerate is fine. if RE4 vr is half decent i will be playing the shit out of it. was rolling around on my lounge floor playing superhot for nearly an hr last night. going to try out swarm next.

edit: ah, dang. no quest 1 support :( do kinda want to upgrade to a quest 2. hear the headset is comfier. also, if air link works well, i'll be needing to upgrade sooner rather than later. might even get me to bail on psvr and put the money into a dedicated gaming pc in the lounge instead.
◕‿◕

paprikastaude

« Reply #27633 on: April 15, 2021, 10:42:58 PM »
VR RE4 was in the big Capcom leak like everything else they did this year. If you want to see their legit lineup of upcoming games, just google the leak. Though I'm not sure some projects in there really have a chance to materialize, like Onimusha New York without concrete release plans :doge (but I wish :lawd )

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27634 on: April 16, 2021, 06:21:45 AM »
It's sad that two out of three VR-driving companies as so hellbent on HW exclusivity (Sony and Facebook), and as much as i hate Sony exclusivity, at least they only want you to buy their subpar HW, not to also make a Facebook account with your real name, and have all your library go up in smoke if they decide to ban you from that completely unrelated service.

Please Zuck, go back to your home planet and leave us alone.

The only silverlining is that Quest 2 is indeed the best VR solution, and the more affordable, too.
I still wouldn't want to have a FB account though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27635 on: April 16, 2021, 07:09:09 AM »

DS saved the gen for classic IPs and new Japanese IPs, but I'm talking about PS3(60). Take handhelds out and it's a mess, especially considering the generation's 8 year duration. Microsoft had a decent push during the start of the 360's life, yet that quickly vanished when they again failed to make any impact overseas. PS3 was left with some ultraniche games like Folklore and Nier maybe once a year. With Yakuza it was a constant question whether it can even continue translated. Slight face saving by Dark Souls and Platinum Games, but big names fell into one embarassment after the other with the likes of RE5/6, FF13, Sonic06, etc.

When PS4 "mid tier" development started to gain some steam around 2015, in only a few years the "last" generation library blew the entirety of PS360 Japanese/"mid budget" efforts out the water by a tenfold. When I'll eventually upgrade games like Bayo/Vanquish or crossgen titles over to PS4/5/BoneSex, I'll have almost nothing left on PS3 but retro games and remasters, plus a few oddballs like MG Rising and the seemingly best version of Nier.

Calling it a "mess" is hyperbole.  Plenty of great games were released and I don't see how the more-recent practice of re-releasing/porting last-gen games to newer consoles means anything in regards to what was released at the time.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 08:04:49 AM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #27636 on: April 16, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »

I refuse to play this until they announce a VR version..  :birdman

« Reply #27637 on: April 16, 2021, 09:57:26 AM »
I swear these hot take articles  on cyberpunk 2077 are getting annoying at this point.

Yea the game was overhyped, yes they misled, yes they have bugs, no they won’t “not fix it” because it’ll take another 5 years for them to have a revenue replacement anyways. And I want them to fix it, and add content because the list of “open world cyberpunk rpgs” other than Cyberpunk 2077,  is Deus Ex (of which 2 of the 4 games are good and one of those is 20+ years old).

Hopefully Ubisoft makes a assassins creed or Fay cry game with a cyberpunk skin on top of it, because I like the genre a lot. It’s a shame I don’t like slaying dragons with magic and dwarves and whatever the fuck anymore , because there’s always a new fantasy game coming out soon with another 10 being announced . :-\

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27638 on: April 16, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
Man, Watch_Dogs Legion is real good.

I picked some slav guy with a wrench as my main character. The voice acting is fucking terrible. I love it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27639 on: April 16, 2021, 10:35:27 AM »
I swear these hot take articles  on cyberpunk 2077 are getting annoying at this point.

Yea the game was overhyped, yes they misled, yes they have bugs, no they won’t “not fix it” because it’ll take another 5 years for them to have a revenue replacement anyways. And I want them to fix it, and add content because the list of “open world cyberpunk rpgs” other than Cyberpunk 2077,  is Deus Ex (of which 2 of the 4 games are good and one of those is 20+ years old).

Hopefully Ubisoft makes a assassins creed or Fay cry game with a cyberpunk skin on top of it, because I like the genre a lot. It’s a shame I don’t like slaying dragons with magic and dwarves and whatever the fuck anymore , because there’s always a new fantasy game coming out soon with another 10 being announced . :-\

The hate is insanely overblown. But you know how it is on the internet. Once its decided its trash its trash.

Personally I put over 100 hours into it and enjoyed every minute. I barely ran into bugs or visual glitches, no more than your regular bethesda game.

Yes the old gen versions never should have come out, but Sony/MS wont allow you to only release an "PS PRO' / XBOX ONE X " so yea..
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #27640 on: April 16, 2021, 10:43:04 AM »
Man, Watch_Dogs Legion is real good.

I picked some slav guy with a wrench as my main character. The voice acting is fucking terrible. I love it.

i liked it for a bit, mostly for the badly generated voices (my main was some rudeboy spy), but fell off it hard after about 10 hours or so
(ice)

Tasty

« Reply #27641 on: April 16, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »

The hate is insanely overblown. But you know how it is on the internet. Once its decided its trash its trash.

Personally I put over 100 hours into it and enjoyed every minute. I barely ran into bugs or visual glitches, no more than your regular bethesda game.

Yes the old gen versions never should have come out, but Sony/MS wont allow you to only release an "PS PRO' / XBOX ONE X " so yea..

:thinking :lol

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27642 on: April 16, 2021, 11:02:42 AM »
I think a lot of the hate on games like Cyberpunk (but even stuff like Kingdom Come, NMS or even Star Citizen) is due to the "business model" of Youtube bottom feeders channels like the various YongYea and similar channels, that exist to jump on the bandwagon of every gaming "scandal" and carry the banner of the indignant gamer until the next carcass comes along.
They amplify every little thing to sustain their existence.

Sometimes it plays in favor of the consumer, other times it just creates more idiocy in a space already saturated by it.

« Reply #27643 on: April 16, 2021, 11:12:32 AM »

I put maybe 50 hours into it so far (did first run as a male street kid, did a lot of missions up to finishing panem, and the voodoo boys stuff, then I rerolled as a female nomad and got to about the same point again and did the Judy quest line), and just decided to wait a year for dlc and patches. I liked the game but I could see the cuts and didn’t want to do a full play through if there is a chance a year or so from now the game is more fleshed out.

I had also built a new gaming pc in March 2020 before it was impossible to find parts (Ryzen 3900, 2070 super, 32 gigs of ram). And I’m running it at very high settings 1080p with not rtx, and honestly other than a few weird bugs like Jackie collapsing in the elevator at the hotel and slowly floating to to the ceiling as his dialogue played (which was hilarious) I hadn’t had too many major issues. Nothing outside a normal Bethesda game during their launch period.

I guess it’s because I didn’t soak myself in the hype like others did, I saw the initial trailer back in like 2011(?) and said “cool, like a cyberpunk gta rpg” and that was it. Now I get it isn’t up to current “gta” standards either but it’s basically a absolutely gorgeous world, with neat characters, quests, and hidden touches here and there that make it fun to explore. Could it use a shit load of “stuff to do” type content? Heck yes, hell you can feel that when you walk into a club and can’t dance, or fuck, or play the arcade games, or you get brain dances that “aren’t compatible with your software”, etc.

I’m just hopeful that stuff was planned for but chopped to make launch and will be added back later, I’m willing to wait. Right now it’s a 8/10 game that could easily.....easily......be “10/10 play it for years” type game if they keep adding content /dlc / and polishing it, which going by cdprs track record they do, even back on Witcher 1 that was broken and janky as fuuuuuuuck and no one gave a shit about them.

I think a lot of the hate on games like Cyberpunk (but even stuff like Kingdom Come, NMS or even Star Citizen) is due to the "business model" of Youtube bottom feeders channels like the various YongYea and similar channels, that exist to jump on the bandwagon of every gaming "scandal" and carry the banner of the indignant gamer until the next carcass comes along.
They amplify every little thing to sustain their existence.

Sometimes it plays in favor of the consumer, other times it just creates more idiocy in a space already saturated by it.

I saw a couple angry joe did and honestly he seemed fair. You could tell he loved the game when it was clicking, but then bam a bug, or obvious cut content moment. Much like my experience. He basically was like “you fucked up, but there’s something good here, and you guys have the rep to make it right, so now it’s show me, don’t tell” and I agreed with that assessment. Some others act like the damn game killed their dog or something lol.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:20:00 AM by ZombieSupaStar »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27644 on: April 16, 2021, 02:13:11 PM »
Watch dog legion is absolute trash

Now theres a absolutely mediocre game that deserves hate, for all the fucking emberassing voices in the game, jesus christ only 10 VA's for the entire city?

Ubisoft being as cheap as they can be. Then they put out a garbage multiplayer mode later. My god man what tedious gameplay. Zero fun. I only played it cause I got paid for it
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27645 on: April 16, 2021, 03:53:10 PM »
I love trash.

They put some voice modulation on the guy I chose who already has this shit eastern-european accent. I hope I can keep this guy alive for what will certainly be some heavy handed shit takes later on. The atrocious voice acting will surely not undermine the feeling the scene is trying to convey and most certainly won't have me laughing my ass off.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27646 on: April 16, 2021, 04:10:13 PM »

Cyberpunk 2077 is great. I love that game. It needs a bunch of patches still, but man does it look good. Gunplay is solid for an RPG too.
I think it would've reviewed better if they went with either immersive sim or GTA sandbox. It is now sort of in between so there's some things that are more in depth than you'd expect (gun play) and other things that are far less developed (open world).

But yeah the writing is great, the quests are awesome, the characters are great, the visuals are sick and the music is incredible. On PC it runs great once you find the right settings for your system.

Like Witcher 3 this is not console babby shit but PC Eurojank  :dice
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27647 on: April 16, 2021, 11:04:50 PM »
Turns out there is a good 32" IPS gaming monitor out there- the Acer Predator XB323U.  1440P, 144hz, and doesn't have HDMI 2.1, but had I known about this before, I would have just gotten it instead.  :dizzy 

Might still get it if something happens with the TV.

...TV was too big so I ended up getting the XB323U (GX variant that's 240hz and can overclock to 270hz).  It's great.  Nice and large, but IPS so the screen is much sharper/clearer and not kind of smeary/cloudy like VA panels can be.  Still not gonna crap on the Odyssey G7, but this is just better.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 11:16:35 PM by bork »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27649 on: April 17, 2021, 05:29:28 PM »
Woah I totally forgot Nier Replicant is releasing in a week :o
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27650 on: April 17, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Tasty

« Reply #27653 on: April 19, 2021, 02:02:37 PM »
And any word on the CMOS issue...

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27654 on: April 19, 2021, 02:07:59 PM »
Sounds like Gaijin Ryan got stomped on by some Sony Corp JP executive who found out he could no longer play his favorite weeb PS Vita games.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #27655 on: April 19, 2021, 02:27:39 PM »
https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1384190230354223110

AWESOME.

Yeah I was hoping all the bad press would convince Sony it's worth the few bucks to keep the servers around. If they're smart they'll keep them on indefinitely until humanity dies out. The goodwill will always be worth the small server cost.

They don't want to be known as the only videogame company in the world where older hardware no longer functions and all games are lost. That makes them look really bad.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #27657 on: April 19, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »
I'm hyped for Replicant, but no actual Dad Nier in main story is still lame.

And any word on the CMOS issue...

This is an issue that I hope they patch, but if they course correct to keep the servers continually up like Steam and stuff, it'll never become a real issue since the issue has to do with the new CMOS battery having to connect to the server to confirm time.

Bebpo

« Reply #27658 on: April 19, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »
Wait, I see PSP store is still dead.

That being said,

-PSP doesn't have the CMOS issue and picking up a used PSP in 10 years can still play all physical PSP games.
-I didn't even realize PSP had a digital storefront  :lol , we weren't really at that point yet in consoles/portables. Afaik there are no "patches" for PSP games and my entire PSP library is physical

So PSP store closing is bad in spirit and I don't like it because it signals that PS3/Vita may follow at some point, but in itself probably has pretty minimal effects on game preservation.

Bebpo

« Reply #27659 on: April 19, 2021, 02:39:52 PM »
Looks like these are the only PSP releases that are digital only and will be lost to time:

Ape Quest - English release is digital only
Brandish: The Dark Revenant - English release is digital only
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival

I think all 3 have physical releases in Japan...