Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3050886 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #27660 on: April 19, 2021, 02:48:00 PM »
Seems like according to new tests you can play all PS4 games without an adjusted clock on PS5, although it also has a CMOS battery, so I don't see any reason anymore that they won't patch it out of PS4 whenever necessary in the next ten years.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 02:55:24 PM by Spieler1 »

Bebpo

« Reply #27661 on: April 19, 2021, 03:04:04 PM »
Also I never noticed Nintendo killed the Wii shop  :'(

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27662 on: April 19, 2021, 03:10:00 PM »
Wait, I see PSP store is still dead.

If the PS3 store is still up, you can pick up the games through there. You then copy the game from the PS3 to the PSP with a regular mini-usb cable.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27663 on: April 19, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »
Also I never noticed Nintendo killed the Wii shop  :'(
And some games, only released through WiiWare are lost forever.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27665 on: April 19, 2021, 03:26:02 PM »

That being said,

-PSP doesn't have the CMOS issue and picking up a used PSP in 10 years can still play all physical PSP games.
-I didn't even realize PSP had a digital storefront  :lol , we weren't really at that point yet in consoles/portables. Afaik there are no "patches" for PSP games and my entire PSP library is physical

So PSP store closing is bad in spirit and I don't like it because it signals that PS3/Vita may follow at some point, but in itself probably has pretty minimal effects on game preservation.

There was the PSP Go which was digital only. 

I don't think people care as much about PSP because 100% of the library was ripped and dumped already.  :doge
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27666 on: April 19, 2021, 03:28:11 PM »
Seems like according to new tests you can play all PS4 games without an adjusted clock on PS5, although it also has a CMOS battery, so I don't see any reason anymore that they won't patch it out of PS4 whenever necessary in the next ten years.
Sony has responded to some people who have contacted support. Seems like they're looking into it.

🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27667 on: April 19, 2021, 03:33:31 PM »
I'm sure Jessica is on top of the issue, pressing the execs on it as we speak
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #27668 on: April 19, 2021, 03:34:38 PM »

I don't think people care as much about PSP because 100% of the library was ripped and dumped already.  :doge

If you have a PS3 you should still be able to transfer your digital psp games through there.

Edit: I put Driver on my PSP through the PS3 like a week or two ago. Not sure if there's any differences between the procedure on the different PSP models though. Mine is a 2000 one.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27669 on: April 19, 2021, 03:48:26 PM »

If you have a PS3 you should still be able to transfer your digital psp games through there.

Edit: I put Driver on my PSP through the PS3 like a week or two ago. Not sure if there's any differences between the procedure on the different PSP models though. Mine is a 2000 one.
Sounds like that time the Pikmin literally carried my Wii save data to the Wii U in a process that took about 8 hours.

Gamers are just bad at letting things go, which makes sense considering so many games are about collecting things you 'might' need at some point.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #27670 on: April 19, 2021, 04:16:14 PM »
I'm sure Jessica is on top of the issue, pressing the execs on it as we speak

(ice)

Boredfrom

« Reply #27671 on: April 19, 2021, 04:30:08 PM »
Sony has been fucking weird about all this. I feel they underestimated the how much people are willing to pay for old stuff if give the possibility to be able to buy it. I feel they are thinking in trying to imitate Microsoft initiatives.

Bebpo

« Reply #27672 on: April 19, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
Sony has been fucking weird about all this. I feel they underestimated the how much people are willing to pay for old stuff if give the possibility to be able to buy it. I feel they are thinking in trying to imitate Microsoft initiatives.

I don't think that's the case at all.

I think it was basically servers & support cost money, old products get discontinued all the time after a decade+, was a way to cut some costs and save some money.

Then they got very public bad press everywhere to the point where it was in mainstream news articles and they said "oh shit, this is bad for our brand" and they reversed course. The end.

I feel like Sony generally ignores Microsoft which is why they're behind MS on a lot of stuff. The only situation that they seem to be paying any attention to is Game Pass with talks of Sony coming up with their own Game Pass version.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #27673 on: April 19, 2021, 05:35:45 PM »
Ken Folletts: the pillars of the eath is free on epic right now. It's a really overlooked point and click (although not really focused on puzzles at all), just a good game all around.

Boredfrom

« Reply #27674 on: April 19, 2021, 05:53:03 PM »

I think it was basically servers & support cost money, old products get discontinued all the time after a decade+, was a way to cut some costs and save some money.

Then they got very public bad press everywhere to the point where it was in mainstream news articles and they said "oh shit, this is bad for our brand" and they reversed course. The end.

I feel like Sony generally ignores Microsoft which is why they're behind MS on a lot of stuff. The only situation that they seem to be paying any attention to is Game Pass with talks of Sony coming up with their own Game Pass version.

That has not stopped them before, specially with Jim Ryan. Is also not the first time it happens to a mainstream console digital store (Nintendo says hi). The fact they reversed course is the thing it weirds me out. There is no reason to do it unless there is genuine profit that didn’t see before this decision.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27675 on: April 19, 2021, 05:53:36 PM »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #27676 on: April 19, 2021, 05:58:42 PM »
No map. Boo.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27677 on: April 19, 2021, 06:47:29 PM »

That being said,

-PSP doesn't have the CMOS issue and picking up a used PSP in 10 years can still play all physical PSP games.
-I didn't even realize PSP had a digital storefront  :lol , we weren't really at that point yet in consoles/portables. Afaik there are no "patches" for PSP games and my entire PSP library is physical

So PSP store closing is bad in spirit and I don't like it because it signals that PS3/Vita may follow at some point, but in itself probably has pretty minimal effects on game preservation.

Nobody actually uses physical PSP games since it's dumb fuckin easy to CFW and put all your games on a memory stick
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27678 on: April 19, 2021, 06:58:06 PM »
Sony probably had vallid reasons to close it. I'd like to see sales numbers before they made this decision.
My guess is that not that many people were still buying digital PS3 games (single digits?) but I imagine the used physical market was still doing pretty decent numbers.

Then again if no one is using it than operating costs are also low.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #27679 on: April 19, 2021, 06:58:47 PM »

That has not stopped them before, specially with Jim Ryan. Is also not the first time it happens to a mainstream console digital store (Nintendo says hi). The fact they reversed course is the thing it weirds me out. There is no reason to do it unless there is genuine profit that didn’t see before this decision.

This is the worst press I can remember them getting a very, long time. Like $599 PS3 launch price bad.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27680 on: April 19, 2021, 07:02:12 PM »

This is the worst press I can remember them getting a very, long time. Like $599 PS3 launch price bad.
It was the perfect storm with the Sony Japan news and focus on AAAA+ walking simulator blockbuster games at the expense of experimental games.

If they had dropped this on a friday afternoon in the middle of August it wouldn't have made the same impact.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27681 on: April 19, 2021, 07:35:18 PM »
Looks like these are the only PSP releases that are digital only and will be lost to time:

Ape Quest - English release is digital only
Brandish: The Dark Revenant - English release is digital only
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival

I think all 3 have physical releases in Japan...

Is Brandish any good? The snes one was pretty bad... but the Falcom fan in me needs it.
^_^

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27682 on: April 19, 2021, 07:45:36 PM »

Remember when psn got hacked and it was down forever?
What

Boredfrom

« Reply #27683 on: April 19, 2021, 08:29:51 PM »
And both times were when they were not in the lead. Maybe the combination of bad news was the cause because is more weird to me that the mainstream suddenly cares about digital preservation.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27684 on: April 20, 2021, 01:48:37 AM »
Free Horizon Zero Dawn: Complete (comes with DLC expansion)

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP9000-CUSA10237_00-HRZCE00000000000
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #27685 on: April 20, 2021, 03:52:23 AM »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #27686 on: April 21, 2021, 03:16:21 AM »
Would suck if she pooted right then

Would it?  :phil
Margs

« Reply #27688 on: April 21, 2021, 11:37:12 AM »
So looking at game pass and how indie developers are responding, is this just basically game developer welfare? So many stories of game developers saying “man I have x amount of players I would have never gotten without Microsoft” doesn’t that just kind of affirm that there’s too many games now? The only way your game gets seen is if a corporate entity cuts you a check, and let’s you into their walled garden?

Kinda sad, back in the day indie developers made games and hoped they were good and sold and made money. Now that everyone and their grandmother can fire up unity, it seems the end goal is to get that buyout cash. Like how startups are made mostly to hopefully be bought out by a big Corp.

Also game pass continues to be a joke on PC. Ok carry on.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27689 on: April 21, 2021, 12:55:28 PM »
So looking at game pass and how indie developers are responding, is this just basically game developer welfare? So many stories of game developers saying “man I have x amount of players I would have never gotten without Microsoft” doesn’t that just kind of affirm that there’s too many games now? The only way your game gets seen is if a corporate entity cuts you a check, and let’s you into their walled garden?

Kinda sad, back in the day indie developers made games and hoped they were good and sold and made money. Now that everyone and their grandmother can fire up unity, it seems the end goal is to get that buyout cash. Like how startups are made mostly to hopefully be bought out by a big Corp.

I don't really see how that's a bad thing, though?
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27690 on: April 21, 2021, 12:55:41 PM »
Similar to digital art, you "just" need to stand out increasing quality significantly.

« Reply #27691 on: April 21, 2021, 01:10:36 PM »

I don't really see how that's a bad thing, though?

I’d rather the industry be able to sustain itself on the old “make something good, it sells enough to make another thing etc” but as with movies and music we’ve taught everyone that billions of hours of content is worth 15 bucks a month. So I guess it’s play ball with the sub services and whatever changes needed to be made to increase engagement, or make no money when people balk at 15 bucks for one game. Unless of course it’s Nintendo or the next gta.

Edit: what really makes my skin crawl is the term “ecosystem” it’s just a cute way to refer to the cattle that your trying to continually milk for ALL the money. I’m just old man yelling at cloud I guess now, I hate consolidation. I think Microsoft, Facebook, google, Amazon, Apple  etc should all be shattered and not allowed to become what they have but that’s a whole nother rant lol.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:17:05 PM by ZombieSupaStar »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #27692 on: April 21, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
Welcome to capitalism. Overproduction is what we're good at (possibly the only thing).

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27693 on: April 21, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »
Admittedly it feels a bit harder to just fly under the radar and do your thing nowadays, when everything seems to refer back to those same 5 massive companies.
But maybe it's just an impression.

When something like Youtube or Twitch is so much bigger than any competition, is it really a fair statement to say "it's a private company, if you don't like it, go to a competitor".
I think this mentality will have to be heavily revised in the near future.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #27695 on: April 21, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »
I think this mentality will have to be heavily revised in the near future.
Hopefully by braking them up, rather than mandating access or worse.

Bebpo

« Reply #27696 on: April 21, 2021, 05:12:58 PM »

I still feel like this game is gonna be straight up dumpster fire trash, but as a jrpg nerd I'll give this a play and hopefully it will surprise me. Last Tales I liked was Graces and that was only for the battle system.

Also the combat in this one looks more like Star Ocean to me than Tales.

They pretty much lost me at Xillia. I think I played through every.single.tales.game until Xilia and then I got bored and shelved it and everything has been meh since.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27697 on: April 21, 2021, 05:28:30 PM »
looks good to me.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27698 on: April 21, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »
Berseria is considered one of the best entries, but go off king
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #27699 on: April 21, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
That's because Tales fans are not to be trusted.

Hell, Symphonia is like the #1 highest revered game and it's pretty mediocre. Same with Vesperia outside the art and first half story.

Abyss is a better game than either of those but people shit on it all the time.

thetylerrob

« Reply #27700 on: April 21, 2021, 08:06:51 PM »
Symphonia mediocre?
 :hhh

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #27701 on: April 21, 2021, 08:10:57 PM »
Symphonia is the only Takes game I beat. Probably one of the most comfy, summer time Gamecube games of all time.
OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27702 on: April 21, 2021, 08:44:04 PM »
Symphonia mediocre?
 :hhh

Bebpo has this weird high standard for whatever reason.

I like Symphonia, Vesperia [and] Abyss
fat

thetylerrob

« Reply #27703 on: April 21, 2021, 09:32:51 PM »
Yeah all of the games developed by the Symphonia team were great. I haven't played anything past Vesperia but this new one looks pretty cool.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27704 on: April 21, 2021, 11:04:41 PM »
How about Tales is just bad? Symphonia is overrated by Nintendo fanboys. Vesperia gets buy because it was the one that looked like it had a budget. Xillia and its copy and paste sequel are the pits when it came to jrpg world design. Beseria was decent at best. Graces is the definition of good combat, but bad everything else.

I will still try this one, if only because I can actually tell it a part from the last decade of 3d console Tales games.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 11:11:13 PM by Rahxephon91 »

Bebpo

« Reply #27705 on: April 22, 2021, 12:56:51 AM »
How about Tales is just bad? Symphonia is overrated by Nintendo fanboys. Vesperia gets buy because it was the one that looked like it had a budget. Xillia and its copy and paste sequel are the pits when it came to jrpg world design. Beseria was decent at best. Graces is the definition of good combat, but bad everything else.

I will still try this one, if only because I can actually tell it a part from the last decade of 3d console Tales games.

As an ex-Tales fan I can agree on this.

All the ones I actually like have a pretty bad story/cast but good combat like Graces, Rebirth.

I feel like the ones that actually have a decent cast/story tend to have either bland gameplay (Symphonia/Vesperia/all the PS3 ones) or good, but nothing amazing gameplay like Abyss.

Tales of Eternia is honestly probably the best one for balance of cast & gameplay. It's not super deep but it's pretty fun and has a likeable cast and doesn't outstay its welcome. Phantasia/Destiny are ok too. Destiny Remake is pretty good.

Like Legendia looks and sounds amazing but the combat is so boring and the cast is pretty boring. Tales always struggles to nail every strength in the same game.

Zesteria had great music again, but the story was whatever and combat was weird and just ok.

Berseria I didn't like. The cast/story was fine, but I thought it had one of the worst field maps in Tales and I didn't like the battle system which was weird  like Zesteria and I guess Arise will be? They keep trying to make these new games not play like traditional Tales of games which is...stupid? I mean Tales of was fun because the battle system worked without reinventing the wheel. 

Anyhow I'm just an old fogey with weird niche jrpg tastes. Tales of was fun when I was young and full of anime, but it just feels like a C-tier jrpg now and can't compete with Atlus or SE or even Falcom jrpgs anymore.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27706 on: April 22, 2021, 01:03:57 AM »
Who is saying Tales is good? Weebs? Tales games are junk food games. Junk food is filling. Delicious empty calories

You fucking weirdos making arguments out of everything
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #27707 on: April 22, 2021, 01:05:15 AM »
I think at one point they used to be hanging up there with FF/DQ/SMT/Persona as the premier jrpgs.

But that was like 15 years ago at this point...  :fbm

Rahxephon91

« Reply #27708 on: April 22, 2021, 01:41:44 AM »
Tales games are like 50+ hours. Junk food shouldn't take so long to get through.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27709 on: April 22, 2021, 08:08:46 AM »
Tales games are.. meh
What

Tasty

« Reply #27710 on: April 22, 2021, 08:56:52 AM »
Abyss was fun but annoying.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #27711 on: April 22, 2021, 09:00:03 AM »
I only liked the tales game where the bad guy (?) Is Liquid Snakes voice actor

What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27712 on: April 22, 2021, 10:09:57 AM »
Can't wait to support hard working japanese developers when Tales of Arise comes to Xbox  8)
fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27713 on: April 22, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »
Self induced existential dread and depression Nier Replicant ver 133780085 has shipped :rejoice
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #27714 on: April 22, 2021, 02:54:31 PM »
That's because Tales fans are not to be trusted.

Hell, Symphonia is like the #1 highest revered game and it's pretty mediocre. Same with Vesperia outside the art and first half story.
Interesting. I gave up on Vesperia after the party establishes their guild. Felt like things got just started, but I was already forcing myself to play.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27715 on: April 22, 2021, 03:45:45 PM »
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27716 on: April 22, 2021, 05:28:16 PM »
I used to play the 'mothership' Tales games as soon as they were available in English, but Graces F kinda killed that for me. I didn't like anything about that one - even the highly coveted battle system didn't feel that much of an improvement over other Tales.

I watched my friend play Xillia and it looked nice... and I've heard so much praise for Berseria, but Vesperia was still the high point of the series for me. I'm hyped for Arise though, the graphics definitely look an improvement over the rest of the series.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #27717 on: April 22, 2021, 06:29:05 PM »
Xillia was a chore and totally worth its ire
Xillia 2 was slightly better, but still the same issues. I liked Ludger as a lead at least
Zestiria was pretty enjoyable but still had some issues. The segment with Rising Up was great.

Berseria was really good, loved the cast, Velvet is a great lead. Ending was nice too, and it was nice that it was a prequel so it took place in the same world as Zestiria.
fat

paprikastaude

« Reply #27718 on: April 22, 2021, 06:30:58 PM »
They need to bring back puzzles from Symphonia and prior. :fbm

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #27719 on: April 22, 2021, 08:01:45 PM »

Whenever you think Ubisoft's writing can't get any worse...