Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3059061 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #31440 on: October 12, 2022, 01:57:12 PM »
I thought this would be about Wii Fit or something

But Sakurai trains, watches TV and plays video games at the same time :titus
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #31441 on: October 12, 2022, 03:26:57 PM »
I'm not sure a walking skeleton has the best fitness tips

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #31442 on: October 13, 2022, 08:58:59 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31443 on: October 15, 2022, 12:23:37 PM »
The voice of Bayonetta asks the fans to boycott the game because she was offered a total of $4000 to voice the third game.
She also says they're doing a spin off.

https://twitter.com/hellenataylor/status/1581289084718227456
https://twitter.com/hellenataylor/status/1581290543619112960

🤴

Svejk

« Reply #31444 on: October 15, 2022, 02:15:29 PM »
Boycott Bayonetta?  :hmm I dunno, does she have jiggle physics?

Beezy

« Reply #31445 on: October 15, 2022, 02:45:14 PM »
That's fucked up and props to her for passing on Bayo3, but I'm not cancelling my preorder.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31446 on: October 15, 2022, 02:50:16 PM »
Im def not buying it, fuck Platinum and Kamiya's stupid schtick.

What

Bebpo

« Reply #31447 on: October 15, 2022, 03:10:53 PM »
My guess is this has to do with A) Japanese companies salaries are waaaaay less in general, B) Voice actors in Japan unless you're the biggest A-listers don't get paid that much, and C) Good ole' Japanese xenophobia, i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if they pay non-Japanese voice actors in Japanese games less than they pay native Japanese voice actors who are at the same tier in popularity.

Also I'm assuming this is a situation where it's the Japan devs hiring and not the USA localization branch since afaik Bayonetta is like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil where the games are primarily in English VA in the Japanese version (I don't think Bayo 1 even had a JP dub).

If the VO is handled by a western localization company i.e. Nintendo of America or something, then that lowball is so insane I don't see how it's even possible.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #31448 on: October 15, 2022, 03:28:16 PM »
I absolutely believe she isn't telling the whole story and/or twisting information to paint herself more favorably.

If or when it gets revealed she was lying or not telling the whole truth, this post will be funny as fuck.  :doge :-*
« Last Edit: October 15, 2022, 03:51:32 PM by mormapope »
OH!

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31449 on: October 15, 2022, 03:57:17 PM »
Ahh yes breaking nda's and burning industry bridges to make yourself seem more favorable  ???
What

Beezy

« Reply #31450 on: October 15, 2022, 03:57:23 PM »
Platinum stole your girl?

mormapope

« Reply #31451 on: October 15, 2022, 04:05:00 PM »
Ahh yes breaking nda's and burning industry bridges to make yourself seem more favorable  ???

She's essentially having a controlled meltdown and yes, saying how Nintendo, Platinum, and Kamiya absolutely fucked you over in every way imaginable, is painting yourself as a mega victim.

Kamiya himself said she's full of shit in so many words. Apparently he's full of shit though because........?
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31452 on: October 15, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
Sounds like poorly managed expectations and miscommunication.

Her expectation was that she did the iconic voice and thus would get a great offer for returning to the role of Bayonetta beyond just doing a gig. After all the fans value her performance.
When she didn't get a good offer, she requested a "living wage" in a letter from Kamiya. The average monthly salary in Japan is ~$4k and that's what they offered. Which in their book is probably not bad for 10 - 20 hours of recording.

It seems to me that she really wants to immerse hersellf into the character of Bayonetta for the fans and deliver a memorable performance.
While Nintendo and Platinum just wanted someone to grunt and moan into a microphone and voice a dozen cutscenes in one take.

Platinum is already in a bad position anyway. I don't think that Nintendo manager switched jobs because of a golden opportunity.
Seems more like a Retro Studios kind of deal to me. Nintendo taking control with a more hands on approach.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #31453 on: October 15, 2022, 05:28:35 PM »
It's kinda weird how platinum went straight into the toilet after (what I assume is by far) their biggest hit :doge
(ice)

mormapope

« Reply #31454 on: October 15, 2022, 05:39:55 PM »
It's kinda weird how platinum went straight into the toilet after (what I assume is by far) their biggest hit :doge

Bayonetta 3 has glowing previews, it'll most likely be one of their best games yet.

They've had a shitty 2022 up till Bayo 3, but its greatly exaggerated how bad they're doing as a studio.
OH!

paprikastaude

« Reply #31455 on: October 15, 2022, 06:03:18 PM »
It will also be a flop, because it's a M-rated game on Switch with a female protag that isn't a 12 yo.

mormapope

« Reply #31456 on: October 15, 2022, 06:19:13 PM »
I'm expecting 2-3 million in sales, Astral Chain didn't flop, Bayo 3 won't either.

OH!

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31457 on: October 15, 2022, 07:10:18 PM »
Lol, Bayo 3 is not going to flop, it'll sell well
fat

Tasty

« Reply #31458 on: October 15, 2022, 07:19:16 PM »

Her expectation was that she did the iconic voice and thus would get a great offer for returning to the role of Bayonetta beyond just doing a gig. After all the fans value her performance.
When she didn't get a good offer, she requested a "living wage" in a letter from Kamiya. The average monthly salary in Japan is ~$4k and that's what they offered. Which in their book is probably not bad for 10 - 20 hours of recording.

It seems to me that she really wants to immerse hersellf into the character of Bayonetta for the fans and deliver a memorable performance.
While Nintendo and Platinum just wanted someone to grunt and moan into a microphone and voice a dozen cutscenes in one take.

Platinum is already in a bad position anyway. I don't think that Nintendo manager switched jobs because of a golden opportunity.
Seems more like a Retro Studios kind of deal to me. Nintendo taking control with a more hands on approach.

Manager change?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31459 on: October 15, 2022, 10:48:12 PM »

A large scale real imagining of the 'fake' Waterworld arcade game that Milhouse plays during a 10 second joke in a 1997 episode of The Simpsons.

All the greatest and most memorable parts of the movie are recreated here in Simpsons videogame form!

Features

A full action adventure with multiple areas
Battle through the atoll, traverse the ocean, board the Deez and find dry land!
Find and use various items
Trade your dirt, get the tomato plant, build the water purifier and much, much more!
Multiple boss fights
Fight the Nord, battle a Whalefin, face off against the Deacon and beyond!
A large amount of secrets for extra replayability
Can you find all the hidden secrets and master the game to obtain the true ending?

About the project

I've always been fascinated by the fake videogames that were occasionally seen in The Simpsons, and the Waterworld one always stuck out to me as a kid. Of course it's just a short joke poking fun at how expensive the production of the movie was at the time, but this fake game itself with its gigantic Kevin Costner character on the screen who takes a single step before the machine asks for more quarters always made me so eager to know 'what would be beyond that one screen you see in the show...'

This project was born from that interest, and while originally planned to only be a short game, it quickly developed further and I sunk tremendous amounts of effort into it to the point where it ended up becoming a fully fleshed out game of much greater scope than I ever expected. I hope you enjoy it!

paprikastaude

« Reply #31460 on: October 16, 2022, 05:10:50 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31461 on: October 16, 2022, 06:11:59 AM »

Manager change?
https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/12149

Former Nintendo Managing Director Takao Yamane joins PlatinumGames as a new vice president. In this exclusive interview, we speak with him and fellow PlatinumGames executives Atsushi Inaba and Hideki Kamiya about the evolution and ambitions of PlatinumGames.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/interviews/how-platinumgames-is-betting-on-nintendo-expertise-to-shape-its-future/
You already have a strong history of partnering with Nintendo. Could Yamane’s appointment bring that relationship even closer?

Inaba: Well obviously, Yamane didn’t leave Nintendo on bad terms at all and this partnership that we have with Nintendo is very important to us right now and will be moving forward. I think with Yamane-san joining us here, PlatinumGames can definitely build an even stronger relationship with Nintendo moving forward. That can only be a positive thing for PlatinumGames. So yeah, we’re very glad to have him on board.

The rumor is that an Astral Chain sequel is in development and the voice actor lady talked about a Bayonetta spin-off.
So that's 2 rumored new games for Nintendo platforms.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #31462 on: October 16, 2022, 12:01:33 PM »
Nintendo x Platinum yessss :rejoice

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31463 on: October 16, 2022, 01:46:52 PM »

Ofcourse it will, weebs cant resist this shit
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31464 on: October 16, 2022, 01:48:36 PM »

Bayonetta 3 has glowing previews, it'll most likely be one of their best games yet.

They've had a shitty 2022 up till Bayo 3, but its greatly exaggerated how bad they're doing as a studio.

Is it?

The only good games they make are in partnership with other studio's giving them guidelines on what to do.

When was the last time they made a good game on their own?

They made some great games, they also made a bunch of shit games.

I like most of their bigger games tho.
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #31465 on: October 16, 2022, 03:13:16 PM »

Ofcourse it will, weebs cant resist this shit

Bayo 2 flopped twice iirc. At least I don't see it among the Switch million sellers: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/  :idont  Astral Chain barely above a mill, but that's not M-rated.
Pedo animu like FE/XB can foster on Switch, but the audience for M-rated weebery is elsewhere. It will not be a complete bomb like No More Heroes, but it probably won't improve the current market value of PG. But they kinda fucked up themselves. Had the chance to get Xbox pushed and squandered it. Finally had a modern hit with Nier and somehow got duped into making live service for SE instead of a sequel. Now stuck with a publisher which never appealed to their original audience.

Still, I hope someday they have their comeback.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 03:19:53 PM by paprikastaude »

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #31466 on: October 16, 2022, 03:46:05 PM »
PG Classics:
Bayonetta 1/2, Vanquish, Metal Gear Rising

Pretty good:
Nier Automata, Astral Chain

Good:
Transformers Devastation, Anarchy Reigns

Better than it should be:
Legend of Korra

Meh:
Star Fox Zero, Wonderful 101 (should revisit someday to reevaluate)

Unplayable due to controls:
Madworld

Dogshit:
TMNT

Never played:
Babylon’s Fall, Infinite Space, Sol Cresta, World of Demons? (Whatever their mobile game is called)

Don’t think I missed any of them. I still like Platinum overall  :idont

I think the VA pay situation is shameful and I really liked her in the role, but I’m still getting the game though. I derive such little joy from this miserable fucking existence that I’m not boycotting something that will bring me some semblance of fun  :lol
Margs

paprikastaude

« Reply #31467 on: October 16, 2022, 04:17:39 PM »
Sounds about right. Personally, I can't with Bayo1 though. Everything outside of combat is just too dreadful. I got stone rank almost entirely throughout my first playthrough solely because of bs like QTEs and amateur shooting sections (gold, when it was actually about fighting). For some reason Transformers really jelled with me however, I finished it like three or four times a row. Also I have no problem with Madworld. Still gotta play Astral Chain, I guess. Something about its looks puts me off though. Back in the day I would've been all about cyberpunk animu cops, but I guess I really only like that specific 90s Ghost in the Shell style. Or maybe I would've prefered it with stronger tech.

paprikastaude

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31469 on: October 16, 2022, 05:50:40 PM »

Bayo 2 flopped twice iirc. At least I don't see it among the Switch million sellers: https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-software-and-hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.2725/  :idont 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayonetta_2

The Nintendo Switch version of Bayonetta 2 sold 9,532 copies within its first week on sale in Japan, which placed it at number 14 on the all format sales chart.[70] By March 2018, Nintendo confirmed the Switch version had sold 400,000 copies during its first nine weeks, compared to the 300,000 copies the Wii U version sold during the same period.[71] As of December 31, 2021 the Switch version of the game have sold 1.04 million copies worldwide.

:itagaki
ど助平

mormapope

« Reply #31470 on: October 16, 2022, 06:11:32 PM »
I don't view the voice acting thing as shameful, because unless you're really hot shit or the creator of something, you don't get residual payment. She was offered 4K for something, career voice actors do a fuck ton of work for multiple projects to make a living.

The outrage stems from "but this is a recognized property, it'll sell millions now!"

Does this same outrage apply to any other profession? Should a carpenter or electrician get residual payment if they do work on a building that generates millions in revenue? What about below minimum wage retail workers?

"I advocate for higher wages for everybody!"

Yet that ire is directed at the development and business decisions of people that make entertainment and toys.
 :drake

This is classic sheltered nerd outrage shit. The amount of outrage and circle jerking over this is ridiculous.
OH!

benjipwns

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31472 on: October 16, 2022, 11:20:16 PM »
...and nothing of any importance was lost.
Spud

Tasty

« Reply #31473 on: October 17, 2022, 01:46:41 AM »
What the fuck is a Comcast Spectacor

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31474 on: October 17, 2022, 02:09:33 AM »
Shame about G4. It was fun.

benjipwns

« Reply #31475 on: October 17, 2022, 03:09:56 AM »
What the fuck is a Comcast Spectacor
It's the name of the company/subsidiary, Spectacor was a cable/sports company (most famously owned the Spectrum and the Philadelphia sports teams who played there) that Comcast bought at some point, it was their "sports" company for a long time so it included their sports channels and stuff but I guess now it's just in charge of the various sports teams they own since the channels got folded into NBC when they bought that. I have no idea why G4 was under this, "video games" are sports maybe? Maybe they have an eSports division or something.

Tasty

« Reply #31476 on: October 17, 2022, 03:14:13 AM »
I'm now more confused than before reading your explanation

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Beezy

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31479 on: October 18, 2022, 04:56:01 AM »
They also did a video where they put the games side by side. Game is looking pretty good.

Svejk

« Reply #31480 on: October 18, 2022, 10:27:37 AM »
Souls of the Colossus?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31481 on: October 18, 2022, 11:40:15 AM »

Looks like it's pretty much a sequel to Criterion's Most Wanted from 2012.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31482 on: October 18, 2022, 12:14:12 PM »
I dunno the drifting in that looked much better. But I really liked MW 2012 so we'll see

Handbrake/cars look like they got 0 weight to them.. I dunno, Im not that excited after seeing that trailer.

Forza Horizon ruined open world racers for me, because Horizon is the best of them all to date imo.
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31483 on: October 18, 2022, 04:10:49 PM »
Crash Bandicoot is out on Steam today, but since it doesn't have Denuvo I'm not buying it  :nope
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31485 on: October 18, 2022, 06:07:38 PM »
Need for Speed is barking up the wrong tree.

A modern Need for Speed audience simply doesn't exist. It hasn't been relevant for a decade so the audience that likes those character designs don't care about Need for Speed.
Much like boomer shooters and C&C strategy games the 30 - 40 y/o boomers should be the main target audience here.

It should be cringe, flashy and fast. Forza Horizon is fun but it's also very clean and corporate. NFS should be the opposite of that and then it will fly.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31486 on: October 18, 2022, 06:35:13 PM »
The dialogue and story in Forza Horizon is as cringe as it gets though, but yeah I get your point. It does feel very 'clean'.

And it is, I mean they censored the fucking music

:yuck
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31487 on: October 18, 2022, 07:16:54 PM »

A modern Need for Speed audience simply doesn't exist. It hasn't been relevant for a decade so the audience that likes those character designs don't care about Need for Speed.
Much like boomer shooters and C&C strategy games the 30 - 40 y/o boomers should be the main target audience here.

Didn't they use this song in one of the Fast And Furious movies?

Edit- oh, this is some fan-made stuff.
ど助平

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #31488 on: October 18, 2022, 07:24:40 PM »

It should be cringe, flashy and fast. Forza Horizon is fun but it's also very clean and corporate. NFS should be the opposite of that and then it will fly.

They tried going the cringe fmv maymay route in 2016(?) and it didn't work then. Maybe this one will be good but idk maybe it's time to drop the need for speed name and baggage and try something else if they really want an open world racer. And they'll still have the IP that can be brought back in the future
(ice)

Svejk

« Reply #31489 on: October 18, 2022, 08:44:30 PM »
Maybe they can shelf NFS, then revive it when all cars in the world are electric pieces of shit.  :doge

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31490 on: October 19, 2022, 05:40:50 AM »
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31491 on: October 19, 2022, 07:05:11 AM »
I love the people sneering at the $15K the Bayonetta voice actor was offered. Some Resetera motherfuckers that think if you don't make at least six-figures a year, you're dirt poor.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31493 on: October 19, 2022, 08:06:32 AM »
I'd be putting more of the blame on the editors/producers for approving it.
Spud

Svejk

« Reply #31494 on: October 19, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31495 on: October 19, 2022, 03:38:29 PM »
Fucking hell. Let the franchise rest in peace...

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
^_^

Svejk

« Reply #31497 on: October 19, 2022, 04:20:06 PM »
Who actually gives a shit about the Silent Hill series anyways?
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #31498 on: October 19, 2022, 05:35:23 PM »
Lotta Silent Hill games announced today.

Silent Hill for everyone!

Silent Hill F - Having the Higurashi no Naku Koro and Umineko writer do a Silent Hill story is very cool and fitting.
SH2 remake - looks graphically amazing, but Blooper so :(
Silent Hill Townfall - Silent Hill from Stories Untold/Observation devs could be a good small indie thing

Oh and all these years wondered why they never took the one good story when making SH movies. Would be nice if someone with talent makes the Silent Hill 2 film so that it's not shit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 05:40:20 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #31499 on: October 19, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »
But I guess the real Silent Hill 5 people were expecting and that was in the leaks with the girl cutting herself didn't get announced? F seems like a different smaller scale game.