Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3059887 times)

Bebpo

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #31500 on: October 19, 2022, 05:42:20 PM »
Also Silent Hill Ascension is like some Twitch interactive live-action film/mobile game or something that no one cares about or wants.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31501 on: October 19, 2022, 05:59:28 PM »
Seems kinda weird to start with Silent Hill 2 and not the first game.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #31502 on: October 19, 2022, 06:00:49 PM »
Kind of got to hand it to blooper. They wanted to make a Silent Hill game so badly and now it's actually happening. If they don't fuck with the game too much I can see it working out, graphics are surprisingly top quality

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #31503 on: October 19, 2022, 06:28:48 PM »
What the fuck have they done to James :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #31504 on: October 19, 2022, 06:36:45 PM »
Seems kinda weird to start with Silent Hill 2 and not the first game.

Eh, Silent Hill 1 already got pseudo remade with Shattered Memories. SH1 remake would be fine, but SH2 is the better game so if you're only going to remake one of them might as well go with SH2.

thetylerrob

« Reply #31505 on: October 19, 2022, 06:51:32 PM »
https://twitter.com/surasshu/status/1582862584880844800

Silent Hill was better off dead. Konami is just trying to get back into games after Pachinko profits nosedived during Covid. Boooooooo.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31506 on: October 19, 2022, 06:55:12 PM »
I guess Frosk now turns on the management

https://twitter.com/Brad_Glasgow/status/1582551058055774208

What a great hire
Like she would have listened to any "guidelines" or "plans" they came up with. :lol

These people (Taylor Lorenz and other journalists make similar complaints) seem to think companies should devote all their resources to somehow defending employees from criticism for their actions.

BikeJesus

« Reply #31507 on: October 20, 2022, 01:23:37 AM »
I completed The Medium, and played a bit of layers of fear 1 and 2 and also observer. I think bloober have potential, and i am looking forward to the sh2 remake.

If it is shit, the original with the enhanced edition mod exists. People get too worked up over this crap.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #31508 on: October 20, 2022, 01:52:59 AM »
I completed The Medium, and played a bit of layers of fear 1 and 2 and also observer. I think bloober have potential, and i am looking forward to the sh2 remake.

If it is shit, the original with the enhanced edition mod exists. People get too worked up over this crap.
Sorry, but not everyone is privileged enough to be able to just ignore what's going on with Silent Hill remakes. Especially during wartime.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #31509 on: October 20, 2022, 02:38:07 AM »

Sorry, but not everyone is privileged enough to be able to just ignore what's going on with Silent Hill remakes. Especially during wartime.
The real question is, "Are any of the voice actors TERFs?"
Spud

paprikastaude

« Reply #31510 on: October 20, 2022, 04:08:55 AM »
bloober dun bloobed

He is sad because he killed his wife, DO. YOU. GET IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31511 on: October 20, 2022, 06:07:48 AM »
Nice cgi but the game aint gonna look like that lmao
What

Svejk

« Reply #31512 on: October 20, 2022, 08:51:56 AM »
Reviews for Gotham Knights are all over the place.  :lol  Almost as divisive as Saints Row. 

Svejk

« Reply #31513 on: October 20, 2022, 08:54:41 AM »
Additional gameplay footage...

:phil Looking forward to this solid 7-8 assperience!

Polident Hive

« Reply #31514 on: October 20, 2022, 09:39:53 AM »
Reviews for Gotham Knights are all over the place.  :lol  Almost as divisive as Saints Row.

Of all I’m seeing about the game, what stands out is the speed line effect during traversal. The bikes look to top out at 20 MPH. Clunky looking.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31515 on: October 20, 2022, 09:59:49 AM »
Yeah the bike looked real slow in the open world
What

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #31516 on: October 20, 2022, 11:14:15 AM »
I'm kind of interested in the story but this is prime Gamepass fodder if I've ever seen it

Tasty

« Reply #31517 on: October 20, 2022, 11:32:50 AM »
Tim Drake :rejoice

Polident Hive

« Reply #31518 on: October 20, 2022, 11:45:03 AM »
A cutscene clip from one review

Dick “Freeze can make weather now?”

Tim “Freeze can make weather now.”

:mike

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #31519 on: October 20, 2022, 11:56:35 AM »

Kino  :rejoice
Margs

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31520 on: October 20, 2022, 12:18:22 PM »

Yeah- ridiculously all over the place.  It has technical issues, but not insane bugs/glitches, at least.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #31521 on: October 20, 2022, 12:44:07 PM »

They fly now?! :ohhh

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #31522 on: October 20, 2022, 01:11:57 PM »
Looks pretty good :leon

I still think the character designs are bit too generic tho.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 03:28:16 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31523 on: October 20, 2022, 02:02:03 PM »

:batman
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #31524 on: October 20, 2022, 02:19:19 PM »
Yeah, sounds pretty mediocre and easy skip. Hopefully Suicide Squad will be better.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31525 on: October 20, 2022, 02:28:39 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31526 on: October 20, 2022, 02:46:49 PM »
Wonder what happens to the team.

Will they keep them on to make a mediocre sequel until WB Games is finally sold?
Then again releasing shit like this won't do wonders for their valuation.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31527 on: October 20, 2022, 02:55:50 PM »
Im still hyped for the new Rocksteady game, those guys havent made a bad game yet
What

Polident Hive

« Reply #31528 on: October 20, 2022, 03:30:09 PM »
I was hopeful for this. Bigger fan of Arkham Origins than most. That team, if anybody is left, went though two or three ideas for a follow up? Think a Suicide Squad and then a Batman Beyond future Gotham type with Damien as Batman?

Whatever’s going on over there, Monolith making Wonder Woman is cool. Expecting Shadow of Mordor with a different theme. Rocksteady doing Suicide Squad? Not clear on what type of game that’ll be. Keeping an open mind.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31529 on: October 20, 2022, 03:34:04 PM »

:lawd :rejoice :ohhh :preach :cruise :whoo
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #31530 on: October 20, 2022, 03:35:00 PM »
It will be coop live service with a helping microtransactions and season passes :rash
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31531 on: October 20, 2022, 06:27:42 PM »
Resident Evil 4  :hyper

🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #31532 on: October 20, 2022, 06:42:37 PM »
That's a fucking remake right there. I suggest watching the extended gameplay trailer. The shotgun is sexy as fuck

:aah :aah :aah :aah
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31533 on: October 20, 2022, 06:45:57 PM »

I can save them
🤴

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #31534 on: October 20, 2022, 07:03:50 PM »
They nailed RE4, RE3 remains dogshit lul
fat

Svejk

« Reply #31535 on: October 20, 2022, 07:14:11 PM »
Konami: “Radies and Gentlemen, after rong wait, SIRENT HIRR!”

Capcom: “Hold my beer…”

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #31536 on: October 20, 2022, 07:33:45 PM »
I take it Sony ditched their direct thing that would have blown their case against MS and Activision then :thinking
(ice)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #31537 on: October 21, 2022, 03:28:02 AM »
My guess is this has to do with A) Japanese companies salaries are waaaaay less in general, B) Voice actors in Japan unless you're the biggest A-listers don't get paid that much, and C) Good ole' Japanese xenophobia, i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if they pay non-Japanese voice actors in Japanese games less than they pay native Japanese voice actors who are at the same tier in popularity.

Also I'm assuming this is a situation where it's the Japan devs hiring and not the USA localization branch since afaik Bayonetta is like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil where the games are primarily in English VA in the Japanese version (I don't think Bayo 1 even had a JP dub).

If the VO is handled by a western localization company i.e. Nintendo of America or something, then that lowball is so insane I don't see how it's even possible.

I've only handled VO for a couple of Japanese developed titles. In the US, voice actors have a guild or equivalent which demands a particular wage  minimum, active hours, number of breaks, etc. Many of the foreign-to-Japan voice actors we hired in Japan to record were VERY well versed on all the things they weren't benefiting from in Japan.

It's unclear to me from where she is making her stand. If she's in the UK or US, this must seem absolutely abhorrent and unthinkable.

There are rumors that there were significantly higher offers than the $4K mentioned here. If that was their initial offer, that's insulting, but it's also business.

I dunno. It's a bad look to out the negotiation numbers publicly. Any other company looking at her now knows she is willing to do this. Seems like burning several bridges in front of her, not just the one behind her.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31538 on: October 21, 2022, 01:08:17 PM »
My guess is this has to do with A) Japanese companies salaries are waaaaay less in general, B) Voice actors in Japan unless you're the biggest A-listers don't get paid that much, and C) Good ole' Japanese xenophobia, i.e. I wouldn't be surprised if they pay non-Japanese voice actors in Japanese games less than they pay native Japanese voice actors who are at the same tier in popularity.

Also I'm assuming this is a situation where it's the Japan devs hiring and not the USA localization branch since afaik Bayonetta is like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil where the games are primarily in English VA in the Japanese version (I don't think Bayo 1 even had a JP dub).

If the VO is handled by a western localization company i.e. Nintendo of America or something, then that lowball is so insane I don't see how it's even possible.

I've only handled VO for a couple of Japanese developed titles. In the US, voice actors have a guild or equivalent which demands a particular wage  minimum, active hours, number of breaks, etc. Many of the foreign-to-Japan voice actors we hired in Japan to record were VERY well versed on all the things they weren't benefiting from in Japan.

It's unclear to me from where she is making her stand. If she's in the UK or US, this must seem absolutely abhorrent and unthinkable.

There are rumors that there were significantly higher offers than the $4K mentioned here. If that was their initial offer, that's insulting, but it's also business.

I dunno. It's a bad look to out the negotiation numbers publicly. Any other company looking at her now knows she is willing to do this. Seems like burning several bridges in front of her, not just the one behind her.

A lot more came out about this- she was lying.  She was offered $4,000 per day, IIRC, so it would have been something like $15,000+, plus residuals, for a few days of work.  This was also more than she was offered when she did Bayonetta 2's VA work.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 01:13:06 PM by bork »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #31539 on: October 21, 2022, 02:05:51 PM »

A lot more came out about this- she was lying.  She was offered $4,000 per day, IIRC, so it would have been something like $15,000+, plus residuals, for a few days of work.  This was also more than she was offered when she did Bayonetta 2's VA work.

Was this actually confirmed though? Because it sounds just as incredulous as their $4k offer in the original story that she would lose her job and destroy her career over not earning $4k/day which apparently is top salary for union rate for VA.

Both stories don't make much sense.

Polident Hive

« Reply #31540 on: October 21, 2022, 02:19:06 PM »
Reporting seems muddled. If anything, think it “blew up” due to an ongoing theme of voice actors disrespect. Some shit about Pratt voicing Mario. Darth Vader’s new voice being an AI. All bundled together into resentment of how they were treated.

Not related to that but VAs in Japan. Learned Donna Burke, who did those MGS songs, is the announcement voice in shinkansens. Guess you gonna be a jack of all trades in that market.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31541 on: October 21, 2022, 09:23:48 PM »

Was this actually confirmed though? Because it sounds just as incredulous as their $4k offer in the original story that she would lose her job and destroy her career over not earning $4k/day which apparently is top salary for union rate for VA.

Both stories don't make much sense.

Schreier says he spoke with unnamed trusted sources and was shown documents to back up their claims.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1582453689679499264

Also:

https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/status/1582450001141108737
https://twitter.com/AndyPlaytonic/status/1582450927407333376
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1582442927653294082
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 09:28:29 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31542 on: October 21, 2022, 10:45:44 PM »
Picked up Gotham Knights on Steam.  Got the deluxe version discounted.  Probably didn't need the deluxe content, but those beyond suits are nice.

Have tried it on two platforms so far:

Steam Deck:
-The game runs with a proton experimental update that downloads when you install.  Change compatibility and it works.
-I limited the screen to 40hz and FPS to 40.  The game defaulted to pretty much all low settings.  Was initially getting 34-40 fps, but once I got outside, it started dipping and was generally around 27-34 fps.  Still felt pretty playable.
-Got on the bike and started driving around.  Framerate tanked and went into the teens.  Felt really bad.
-The game crashed when a real-time cut scene triggered about an hour in.

Desktop PC:
-For reference, this is a 'monster' gaming machine with a 3080, 64 GB of ram, etc.  Can handle everything thrown at on the highest settings.  Have it hooked up to an LG C1 for 4K 120hz gaming.
-Put everything at max settings at 4K with DLSS on performance- the game stuttered and chugged like mad as soon as I stepped outside into the city map.  Felt absolutely unplayable.
-Turned off raytracing and everything was buttery smooth. 
-Tried turning raytracing back on and limited FPS to 60- still stuttered like mad.
-Turned down the max FPS to 30 with raytracing on and it felt much more playable, but I'd prefer to have the smoother framerate with raytracing off if that's the main issue right now.

I need to enable the Steam FPS counter to check, but while it's not consistent, it's got to be staying at well above 60 FPS with raytracing off.  Doesn't feel like it's dipping any lower than that.

No idea if a day one patch of any kind was added before this released, but if not, I question why seemingly none of the people who got early PC review copies didn't try messing with the settings more.  Also saw one person on the Steam discussion group say that forcing the game to run in DX11 mode improves performance a lot as well.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2022, 11:06:57 PM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #31543 on: October 21, 2022, 11:20:41 PM »
Nice, I'm on Steam Beta with Proton Experimental. Might try this out when it hits $20.

Coax

« Reply #31544 on: October 22, 2022, 01:22:44 AM »
Desktop PC:
-For reference, this is a 'monster' gaming machine with a 3080, 64 GB of ram, etc.  Can handle everything thrown at on the highest settings.  Have it hooked up to an LG C1 for 4K 120hz gaming.
-Put everything at max settings at 4K with DLSS on performance- the game stuttered and chugged like mad as soon as I stepped outside into the city map.  Felt absolutely unplayable.

-Turned down the max FPS to 30 with raytracing on and it felt much more playable, but I'd prefer to have the smoother framerate with raytracing off if that's the main issue right now.

If it's anything like Cyberpunk it too struggles with RT on to maintain 60fps at higher resolutions/settings, even on a 3080 with DLSS. Though idk about this game, maybe it just has unpatched issues.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31545 on: October 22, 2022, 02:00:04 AM »

:dead
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31546 on: October 22, 2022, 03:13:48 AM »
Looks like saints row 2.0  :-X
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31547 on: October 22, 2022, 05:05:15 AM »
Looks like you're better off just giving any of the Arkham games or Spider-Man a replay.

I personally really liked Avalanche's Mad Max as well. Could just play that instead as well if you missed out on it. Or one of the two Mordor games. Those have the same combat system as the Batman games.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31548 on: October 22, 2022, 09:44:09 AM »

I still haven't played that, but based on videos, no- it's a solid game.  I played for another four hours last night and didn't run into any problems.  It feels like an Arkham game to me.  Where I think that will change is when the game opens up more and gets more grindy.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31549 on: October 22, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »

I still haven't played that, but based on videos, no- it's a solid game.  I played for another four hours last night and didn't run into any problems.  It feels like an Arkham game to me.  Where I think that will change is when the game opens up more and gets more grindy.

Hmm well it looks kinda mediocre to me if Im beeing honest, especially compared to a 7 year old Arkham Knight

But it might be fun to get if it's like 15 euro gold edition :shrug
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31550 on: October 22, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
What

Coax

« Reply #31551 on: October 23, 2022, 05:19:13 AM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31552 on: October 23, 2022, 05:39:04 AM »
bloober dun bloobed

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

He is sad because he killed his wife, DO. YOU. GET IT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Your comment is literally this trailer. It's great to see they haven't grown at all from their first horror project on. This trailer has been an in-joke between friends because of how awful it is.

DO YOU SEE IT NOW! DO YOU SEE IT LIKE I DO!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31553 on: October 23, 2022, 01:58:11 PM »
Is it me or is Xbox falling behind PlayStation again.

Microsoft seems to run on auto-pilot while they wait for the Actvision deal to close. I'm not seeing any ads for Xbox anywhere and more third party games are skipping Xbox.
Meanwhile a bunch of third party games like Saints Row and Gotham Knights aren't reviewing well making exclusives like God of War more important.

Microsoft did a away with buying exclusivity for third party games and instead invested in first party studios that seemingly have 0 output.

A strange year for 4k gaming overall, there was Elden Ring and now Call of Duty is coming up.
The holiday line-up is bare bones.

On the Switch side of things just a neverending avalanche of RPG's  :doge
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #31554 on: October 23, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
I think MS had their eggs in the Starfield basket this xmas, which is funny because no one remotely sane thought it was ever gonna release this year, like Sony did with God of War (zzzz I'll wait for it to come soypass in 2027).

Idk maybe they were hoping the new Forza would make it for this christmas too :doge

Oh and wasn't they all going in on stalker as a big release, but the war in Ukraine fucked that one for them?

EDIT: also it might just be me, but the Game pass games the last 6 months or so have been pretty wack imo, nothing much that interests me, persona 5 royale is cool and all but I already got it on PS ages ago and have little desire to play it again.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 02:21:36 PM by Pissy F Benny »
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #31555 on: October 23, 2022, 02:57:50 PM »
The Persona 5 R thunder has been completely taken away by the Switch and Steamdeck because playing it portable is a much bigger deal for the target audience than playing it through GamePass.
🤴

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #31556 on: October 23, 2022, 05:22:33 PM »
The Persona 5 R thunder has been completely taken away by the Switch and Steamdeck because playing it portable is a much bigger deal for the target audience than playing it through GamePass.

I think Spencer noticed that as well which is why he's been retweeting people playing it through the cloud feature

https://twitter.com/JezCorden/status/1583345783826309121

It's also fun to play on the xbox though, it's one of those games that makes you value the quick resume feature because it's so easy to jump in and out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31557 on: October 23, 2022, 05:49:55 PM »
Tweets from a former Platinum Games dev.  His account is currently protected so I can't post the direct links:

It's funny how quick people are to feel right with a group and how slow they are to say they were wrong.

As disappointed as I was last week.
I’m especially disappointed with so many so called leaders in this industry retweeting and/or tweeting platitudes without context to look good on twitter. Next time y’all face harassment, do you want people to speak up for you or just use a retweet button?
The way the VA industry rallied around Jennifer Hale was what should happen.

Where was that for the Bayonetta team? You know, the hundred plus folks who had nothing to do with voice acting or Kamiya’s twitter. Where is that now? They didn’t deserve any of that. At all.
One last tweet and then I hope to never talk about this ever again.

How many people just flat retweeted the videos from last week, but when today’s news came out, had all sorts of commentary/hedging to go with it? It’s like people are addicted to the feeling of being right.

:salute

Platinum's statement:

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1583302996749787137
ど助平

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #31558 on: October 23, 2022, 06:33:26 PM »
Is it me or is Xbox falling behind PlayStation again.

Microsoft seems to run on auto-pilot while they wait for the Actvision deal to close. I'm not seeing any ads for Xbox anywhere and more third party games are skipping Xbox.
Meanwhile a bunch of third party games like Saints Row and Gotham Knights aren't reviewing well making exclusives like God of War more important.

Microsoft did a away with buying exclusivity for third party games and instead invested in first party studios that seemingly have 0 output.

A strange year for 4k gaming overall, there was Elden Ring and now Call of Duty is coming up.
The holiday line-up is bare bones.

On the Switch side of things just a neverending avalanche of RPG's  :doge

Gaming discussion with forums or websites in general has cratered. Trying to determine momentum from online discussion is next to impossible nowadays.

Call of Duty/Pokemon is barely talked about in a lot of places, but they'll absolutely be the biggest games this year. Based on online talk alone, I wouldn't have thought Elden Ring did as well as it did.

OH!

Rahxephon91

« Reply #31559 on: October 23, 2022, 07:46:51 PM »
I have no idea what you’re talking about. Elden Ring was constantly talked about online via Twitter, YouTube, and video game forums with hundreds of pages about its release and any snippet of it on Reddit and even forums like Resetera.

The beta for MW2 generated plenty of YouTube videos and the same.

Pokemon is a Nintendo franchisee and has huge online communities dedicated to it and is also talked about online tons via Reddit and places like Ree. Elden Ring is on page 339 for it’s 3rd OT.

Online forum discussion is not the absolute barometer, but it’s not impossible to gauge some level of hype.

I don’t know what online major gaming communities you go to that aren’t talking about the biggest games are. Maybe the bore? The MW2 beta thread is 59 pages on resetera.