Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3055937 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #32400 on: February 24, 2023, 07:44:18 AM »
Nintendo 😂
Well, Sony Japan doesn't really exist anymore.
Most companies like SEGA would be a significant downgrade for Mikami.

So what's left is back to Capcom or Nintendo, Square Enix, Bandai Namco.

A new conoany startup?
What

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32401 on: February 24, 2023, 10:13:28 AM »

They really out there making FPS action games out of Foundation now?

Laughed really hard when this showed up. It's exactly what Isaac Asimov would've wanted.
Asimov is a hack. He could have resolved the whole Foundation series by just having Harry Seldon shotgun everyone to death.
Spud

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32402 on: February 24, 2023, 10:16:53 AM »

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team NINJA have released the launch trailer and final demo for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. The demo will be available from today until March 26 across all supported platforms.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32403 on: February 24, 2023, 10:20:41 AM »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #32404 on: February 24, 2023, 12:04:16 PM »

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32405 on: February 24, 2023, 01:43:48 PM »

Himu

« Reply #32406 on: February 25, 2023, 10:08:04 PM »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32407 on: February 26, 2023, 03:30:50 PM »
Bork, what the hell is this C? Googling it seems that it means it's the Mexican version? Does it come with everything in English?

https://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Biohazard-Gold-Xbox-One/dp/B075JDMXJS/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2VDMLU6JZL41&keywords=resident%2Bevil%2B7%2Bgold%2Bxbox&qid=1677380696&sprefix=resident%2Bevil%2B7%2Bgold%2Bxbo%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-1&th=1

Not sure where it came from, but I'd be pretty confident that it would run in English otherwise they wouldn't be selling it on Amazon.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32408 on: February 26, 2023, 03:31:14 PM »

Publisher Koei Tecmo and developer Team NINJA have released the launch trailer and final demo for Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty. The demo will be available from today until March 26 across all supported platforms.

I am liking the way this game plays- it feels much smoother than Nioh did.  Probably going to get it.
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32409 on: February 27, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32410 on: February 27, 2023, 04:47:59 PM »
 :-\
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #32413 on: February 28, 2023, 07:40:17 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32414 on: March 01, 2023, 01:54:07 PM »
What

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #32415 on: March 02, 2023, 07:41:44 AM »
I was lukewarm on FFXVI...until the preview gameplay videos dropped.

:whew

Svejk

« Reply #32416 on: March 02, 2023, 07:50:59 AM »
I was lukewarm on FFXVI...until the preview gameplay videos dropped.

:whew
Same. Shit's kinda bonkers looking.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32417 on: March 02, 2023, 11:47:28 PM »
I've never been less interested in a new FF as I am with 16.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32418 on: March 03, 2023, 08:30:44 AM »

But I thought you liked Devil May Cry?   ???

spoiler (click to show/hide)
:heyman
[close]
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #32419 on: March 03, 2023, 09:00:28 AM »
How come?  Just curious.  Just for the record, I'm not as big a FF buff as others, as I've only actually beat like 3 FF games (FF1, FFVII and FFVIIR).  The video I watched/skimmed through looked quality through out.  It wasn't blowing me out of the water, but with the meh reveal back then, this looks much improved, so I guess my expectations were low enough to not have this on the radar initially.  I'm still more excited about FFVIIR2, but XVI looks to take a more serious tone than FFXV... Which I played for like 10-15 hours, but couldn't take the modernized soyboy road trip crap.  This looks like a better attempt to return to form than XV was.

I'll admit, the initial part with the castle like dungeon aesthetics instantly is a big plus for me.  If there's a bunch of that with a FF twist, heck yeah...  But I can understand when you come across parts like any modern game, like the button prompts to hold the gate open type stuff.. it's easy to eyeroll to such worn out gaming tropes like that, but honestly... I'd rather somewhat interact with it than just sit there and watch (like brain dead cinematics like RDR2 or modern day Kojima).

That being said however, I can see the opposite happening during the crazy looking beast mode boss fights... What's actually playable there?  Yeah, there's more timed button prompt cinematics mixed in with panned out camera regular play, so it does look rather typical.   I guess I'm not expecting them to revolutionize any type of gameplay that hasn't been done before... but has FF ever done that though?  FF to me has always just been story, graphics, graphics, story, drama, graphics, story, drama, chocobos, graphics.  This may trigger a FF Defense League, but it's true..  The jerb system of old is probably the only unique thing they've established in the gameplay department... If you'd even call that gameplay.  More like menu configuration cycling.

Now, is it throw down $70 to play day one on PS5 only exciting?  Not so much...  But it still looks pretty cool so far, imo.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32420 on: March 03, 2023, 09:38:06 PM »
EA finally ended Origin. Goodnight sweet prince, I'll always remember when you accidentally made 80% of the games on the store free for a few hours. :salute

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32421 on: March 04, 2023, 05:58:33 AM »
Is the Destiny 2 Lightfall expansion meant to be some sort of crossover with Buzz Lightyear or something?

Spud

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #32422 on: March 04, 2023, 07:21:31 AM »
Destiny :nope
(ice)

paprikastaude

« Reply #32423 on: March 05, 2023, 10:05:51 PM »
Is the 'new' Koozer any good or wait for gamepass?

Very good. For some reason this is the first one that made actually feel a little like Shenmue. Samurai daylife really changes the feel of the sandbox. Though there is still some typical Yakuza spiel, like fighting sumo hookers and whatnot.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32425 on: March 07, 2023, 11:22:35 PM »
Sold off my GPD Win Max and GPD Win 3, then used the funds to upgrade to something new.  Tried the ASUS Flow Z13, which is like a Surface on steroids.  I thought it would blow any of the handheld gaming PCs out of the water, but gaming performance was straight garbage (I think due to very bad throttling issues), so back it went.

Got a GPD Win Max 2 instead.  It's a 10" laptop with built-in controls including hall joysticks.  The controls themselves feel nice enough, but this thing is far too heavy and bulky to really be able to use it like a handheld for more than a few minutes.  Which is OK- I got it to use it as a mini laptop and will use controllers with it. 

The only games I tested so far are Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Street Fighter V.  At stock TDP and 720P resolution with FSR on, I got 100+ FPS in CoD online multiplayer with some dips into the 80-90 FPS range.  SFV defaulted to 1080P and low settings, but with textures at max, it was a rock-solid 60 FPS.  Pretty impressive for what is still a relatively small device.  The unit I got has a 2TB SSD and 32 GB of ram.  The screen is 1440P, but it's very doubtful that any modern games will run at a res that high.  Most people do 720 or 800P which still looks good on the smaller screen.  Loaded it up with games and plan to mess with it more tomorrow. 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #32426 on: March 07, 2023, 11:54:53 PM »
Haven't seen the FFXVI previews yet but for someone that literally counted 50 dollars worth of quarters when he was 16 to buy Final Fantasy X from GameStop before he even had a PS2 to play it on, so far I don't think I'm missing out on much and I don't regret getting a Series X over PS5 despite not being able to play FFXVI. I'll watch the previews going around but I couldn't be less enthused and FF is out of chances as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I find our break up to be amicable.
IYKYK

Tuckers Law

« Reply #32427 on: March 08, 2023, 01:22:32 AM »
I'm not too excited about the change to full-action combat, but I'll say Yoshi P earned a fuckload of my trust with how he handled FF14 after the catastrophic 1.0 launch.  If nothing else, I expect really good things with FF16's story.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2023, 01:35:05 AM by Tuckers Law »

Beezy

« Reply #32428 on: March 08, 2023, 09:43:07 AM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32429 on: March 08, 2023, 01:50:36 PM »

Starfield delayed to September, Starfield Direct in June.

Lol they're literally copying the name of Nintendo Direct now. At least Sony had the creativity to call it "State of Play"
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32430 on: March 08, 2023, 02:04:27 PM »

Starfield delayed to September, Starfield Direct in June.

Lol they're literally copying the name of Nintendo Direct now. At least Sony had the creativity to call it "State of Play"

What

paprikastaude

« Reply #32431 on: March 08, 2023, 02:43:03 PM »
oh, Fatal Frame 4 is out to apparently no marketing and mid-reviews. Well, I need to get it either way. I've waited since the Wii for the localisation and it always seemed like the last game from Suda51 before he went off the rails.

If nothing else, at least Yakuza Ishin delivered its promises on the "late localisation" front. I just beat up the Japanese emperor and got a new cat for my farm. :lawd

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32432 on: March 08, 2023, 03:11:30 PM »
Did some more GPD Win Max 2 testing.

At 18w TDP:

-Gotham Knights ran at 60 FPS at 720P on low settings.  50-60 when on a bike.
-Elden Ring ran at 45-50 FPS on average at 720P/low.
-KOF XV ran at 1080P 60 FPS with all settings on high.
-Soul Calibur 6 ran at 720P 60 FPS with settings on medium/high- this was the default; need to try 1080P and higher settings.
-DOA6 ran at 1080P 60 FPS with low character shadow resolution and low effect quality.

At 28w TDP:

-Elden Ring ran at 55-60 FPS at 720P/low!
-Cyberpunk 2077 ran at 34-45 FPS on average with some dips at times at 720P/low.  Should be able to get it to run a bit better with some tweaking.
-Persona 5 Royal ran at 60+ FPS at 1080P/high settings.  Framerate was anywhere from 62-100 FPS.  Looks amazing on the screen.

Really impressed with this thing,
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #32433 on: March 08, 2023, 04:16:41 PM »
I tried RGG Ishin demo and the combat isn't my idea of fun. In fact it straight up suck especially compared to normal Yak combat. Does it get better?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32434 on: March 08, 2023, 04:34:07 PM »
Anyone got a key for that The Finals beta? Wanna play it so bad and didnt get into the beta :<
What

Bebpo

« Reply #32435 on: March 08, 2023, 05:40:47 PM »
I tried RGG Ishin demo and the combat isn't my idea of fun. In fact it straight up suck especially compared to normal Yak combat. Does it get better?

Probably not?

The samurai games have even more shallow combat than normal Yakuza/RGG. It's fun but it's shallow. The appeal is the setting and story.

Himu

« Reply #32436 on: March 08, 2023, 05:41:35 PM »
I thought as much. The combat was very barebones for RGG.

I'll get it because you play as a Shinsengumi.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32437 on: March 09, 2023, 02:07:16 PM »
Here is my Gotham Knights Giveaway:

https://newskit.social/giveaways/Gotham-Knights
What

Himu

« Reply #32438 on: March 09, 2023, 02:51:55 PM »

Tears in my eyes from this lmao
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32439 on: March 09, 2023, 04:28:03 PM »

Brehs
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #32440 on: March 09, 2023, 06:55:29 PM »

Tuckers Law

« Reply #32441 on: March 09, 2023, 07:12:23 PM »

The Metroid tier list one is my favorite.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 10:37:47 PM by Tuckers Law »

benjipwns

« Reply #32442 on: March 09, 2023, 10:44:58 PM »
Gonna have to BOTH SIDES this but they're both right about Echoes. :trumps

Himu

« Reply #32443 on: March 10, 2023, 01:51:38 AM »
I've played my Xbox series X almost every day since I've gotten it. I think it's the most fun console since the ps2. Though with their issues (yap yap games which more and more people agree are terrible) games today are incredible and with GamePass you have low stakes to find something you'd like. Between BC, GamePass, 4k blu-ray, and more I haven't seen a console offer so much value since the PS3. It is an incredible console and I haven't regretted for a second that I picked it over PS5. Series X helped me love games again .
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32444 on: March 10, 2023, 02:05:04 AM »
Re4 demo is out
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32445 on: March 10, 2023, 04:43:49 PM »

The Metroid tier list one is my favorite.

The Metroid one needs a part 2, I like it better when they actually finish the list
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #32446 on: March 13, 2023, 09:08:27 AM »

If I didn’t know that this was just a shitty gaas horde mode game this totally would’ve sold me on it
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32447 on: March 18, 2023, 08:22:20 AM »
I want to play a few 3DS games like A Link Between Worlds again but the only 3DS system I own (apart from the OG) is a Samus 3DS XL Limited Edition that has gone up in value quite a bit.

It seems that the 2DS can be found pretty cheap used now that the store is dead but I've never actually used one so I have no idea how it stacks up in terms of screens and comfort.
The 2DS XL seems like a good option too but not many of those are around.
🤴

Tuckers Law

« Reply #32448 on: March 19, 2023, 08:58:12 AM »
New 2DS XL is great, screens look great and comfort is okay but not great for long sessions (about the same as a 3ds XL).  I think one of these grips is a great purchase if you're wanting to play for extended sessions (all the rpg's on the system made it kind of a must have for me): https://www.amazon.com/Updated-Hand-Nintendo-Stylus-Clear/dp/B075YP1CTH/

paprikastaude

« Reply #32449 on: March 19, 2023, 04:48:42 PM »
I've waited for decades for these to be localized - I can't believe weebs ultimately won :cat

I personally can't think of many JP-only games that I still want as much as these. Like a Dragon Kenzan maybe, but some say that they would have to change some of the story for the West. Live-a-Live I guess was one too (but the demo didn't do anything for me, so I skipped it). From that era, maybe they could still bring over some Goemon games. iirc there's a A Link to the Past clone with Goemon, which was never localised.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32450 on: March 19, 2023, 04:56:33 PM »
Live-a-Live I guess was one too (but the demo didn't do anything for me, so I skipped it).
This is the biggest risk, that they stop to release so many obscure Japanese games because people stop buying them.
On the other hand it's impossible to keep up with the pace Square Enix has been releasing games as of late.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #32451 on: March 19, 2023, 05:07:32 PM »
Yeah. For me, I’ll add Falcom’s Nayuta no Kiseki. A late PSP game with not much fanfare suddenly getting a translation and release this year on PC and consoles.

Others in the PSP gulag, the two RGG spin offs Kurohyo. At least some fan translations are coming. They’ve cleaning up. EX Troopers for 3DS and PS3 recently had a fan translation. Same crew who did the Racing Lagoon fan translation are doing Boku no Natsuyasumi 2. Some fan translations these days are over the top quality. They did a whole English dub for Saturn’s Bulk Slash.

benjipwns

« Reply #32452 on: March 20, 2023, 01:21:57 PM »
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is currently $0.97 on GOG, which may be a pricing error as it's typically not discounted to match the others as a GOG exclusive: https://www.gog.com/en/game/blood_omen_legacy_of_kain

paprikastaude

« Reply #32453 on: March 20, 2023, 05:01:05 PM »
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is currently $0.97 on GOG, which may be a pricing error as it's typically not discounted to match the others as a GOG exclusive: https://www.gog.com/en/game/blood_omen_legacy_of_kain

I got this earlier this year. Happy to report that - even without patches - this runs with absolutely none of the insane loading times from the PS1 version.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32454 on: March 20, 2023, 05:29:54 PM »
New 2DS XL is great, screens look great and comfort is okay but not great for long sessions (about the same as a 3ds XL).  I think one of these grips is a great purchase if you're wanting to play for extended sessions (all the rpg's on the system made it kind of a must have for me): https://www.amazon.com/Updated-Hand-Nintendo-Stylus-Clear/dp/B075YP1CTH/
Good idea.

Haven't been able to find one to my liking yet and most I have seen are either very expensive or very beat up. I guess I'll have more luck visiting some shops than searching online.

Also hard to tell how this develops. After the shop closes they could skyrocket in price because there's software on it that you cannot download anymore or they become 'bricks' people want to get rid off.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:39:15 PM by Nintex »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #32455 on: March 20, 2023, 08:27:59 PM »
I got this earlier this year. Happy to report that - even without patches - this runs with absolutely none of the insane loading times from the PS1 version.
PC version never had them in the gameplay, I want to say the PS1 ones aren't even really because of the PS1 but because Silicon Knights didn't know how to handle the FMV. This was before streaming became ubiquitous on the PS1 so lots of developers were trying to load everything into RAM.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32456 on: March 20, 2023, 09:34:04 PM »
Did some more GPD Win Max 2 testing.

At 18w TDP:

-Gotham Knights ran at 60 FPS at 720P on low settings.  50-60 when on a bike.
-Elden Ring ran at 45-50 FPS on average at 720P/low.
-KOF XV ran at 1080P 60 FPS with all settings on high.
-Soul Calibur 6 ran at 720P 60 FPS with settings on medium/high- this was the default; need to try 1080P and higher settings.
-DOA6 ran at 1080P 60 FPS with low character shadow resolution and low effect quality.

At 28w TDP:

-Elden Ring ran at 55-60 FPS at 720P/low!
-Cyberpunk 2077 ran at 34-45 FPS on average with some dips at times at 720P/low.  Should be able to get it to run a bit better with some tweaking.
-Persona 5 Royal ran at 60+ FPS at 1080P/high settings.  Framerate was anywhere from 62-100 FPS.  Looks amazing on the screen.

Really impressed with this thing,

Some more GPD Win Max 2 impressions:

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Decided to return it.  Booted it up this morning and had Steam open.  The right side of the screen started going haywire and doing "ghost inputs" (it's a touch screen).  Looked this up and found some other people reporting the same thing.  Discord said it could be drivers, or maybe the charger, or maybe it was a hardware issue.  I rebooted and it seemed OK, then it happened again.  The place I got it from offers a 30 day return policy and I'm still under that, so going to send it back to them.

Picked up an ASUS Zephyrus G14 instead.  It's a lot bigger, but it was also cheaper and the performance is better.  No more GPD for me after this, I swear!
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #32458 on: March 21, 2023, 05:46:09 AM »
Holy shit the old Japan ace attorney is out...in English??
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32459 on: March 22, 2023, 01:13:23 PM »
What