Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3018753 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #32220 on: January 26, 2023, 11:03:02 AM »
I dunno I only played the first lvl but there is a parry
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32221 on: January 26, 2023, 12:24:58 PM »
Metacritic got Dead Space Remake at 89. Guess I know where the 70 euros I didn't spend on Forspoken is going.

Beezy

« Reply #32222 on: January 26, 2023, 03:27:20 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32223 on: January 26, 2023, 03:39:53 PM »
That new Hitman Freelancer roguelike mode is pretty dope
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32224 on: January 26, 2023, 07:12:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/NoisyPixelNews/status/1618641724938625025

“When Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin first came out, there was a lot of negative bashing, especially online. However, I’m pleased to say that everyone watching this livestream has grown very fond of Jack and his friends. So much so that some would love to see a sequel of [the title].

And if you do want that to happen, then it would certainly help if one person watching this spread the news to 10 other people. If word of mouth about the game spreads through the DLC’s completion, proving that this is a title that has really resonated with everyone, there may be a time when we can meet again. I personally would love to work with Kumabe-san from Koei Tecmo again.”
Aawww yiss
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #32225 on: January 26, 2023, 07:25:36 PM »
The game bombed very, very hard.

People with taste get it and enjoy the great gameplay and absurd ridiculousness of the story. But for 99% of the gaming population they just see it as a bad meme game.

There will never be a sequel  :lol
That's ok though. I think if they did they'd try too hard and it'd be bad.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 08:10:45 PM by Bebpo »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32226 on: January 26, 2023, 07:31:07 PM »
They just need to bait some poor platform holder to fund a timed-exclusive sequel. Xbox wouldn't want to miss out on more Final Fantasy right? :money
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #32227 on: January 26, 2023, 07:41:47 PM »
Now that all the DLC is out I’ll buy the deluxe edition once it’s 40-50% off. I don’t really have it in me to go back to games months later just to play some asset flip DLC these days. Spent far too much money on shit I never ended up touching.

Plus Team Ninja showed with Nioh that they do some major QoL and balance changes as each DLC drops, so I’d rather play the most polished experience.
Margs

Bebpo

« Reply #32228 on: January 26, 2023, 08:12:29 PM »
I want to play the DLCs but it sounds kind of annoying the way they gate them behind NG+ difficulties. Just sounds grindy to get to them so I'll probably never pick them up.

Main game was 100% satisfying on its own though, so I'm fine with that.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32229 on: January 26, 2023, 10:09:12 PM »
Played around with Goldeneye on Switch.

There is no way I can retrain my brain to work a FPS with single stick controls.

There really isn't a viable option in the control options either.

Although apparently you can set up a different Switch controller profile which allows you to remap everything to get almost modern controls. Who could be bothered with that though...
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32230 on: January 27, 2023, 05:14:07 AM »
NiN in Hi-Fi Rush bossfights is so dope
What

Coax

« Reply #32231 on: January 27, 2023, 05:58:01 AM »
Played around with Goldeneye on Switch.

There is no way I can retrain my brain to work a FPS with single stick controls.

There really isn't a viable option in the control options either.

It's strange they wouldn't map camera and aim to the sticks when the Solitaire controls in the original was essentially that.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #32232 on: January 27, 2023, 06:26:21 AM »
Yeah, I thought they might have mapped that dual controller scheme to a single modern controller, but I was wrong
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32233 on: January 27, 2023, 08:30:22 AM »

Svejk

« Reply #32234 on: January 27, 2023, 09:56:06 AM »
Randomly reminds me of Everything or Nothing and really enjoying the shit out it.  Wonder if it's aged well or not, it's been so long.  May have to dump it on Ye Olde DiosMios.

Svejk

« Reply #32235 on: January 27, 2023, 11:10:59 AM »
Some more detail have been dropped about Lords of the Fallen via Edge Magazine...

- When they started developing the game, Hexworks set out to create 'Dark Souls 4.5'; while they "braced for impact" when Elden Ring came out, they didn't try to course-correct on the game they always wanted to make

- This is a dream project for many of the developers; said they "stopped their successful careers to work on it"

- The connections with the first game will be tenuous

- The game is much larger than its predecessor, and completely interconnected: "Every level branches out into other levels, like a T-shaped intersection, and every three levels loop back into each other. It's like a chain of pretzels"

- The art direction is conceived as a mix of European gothic horror, medieval fantasy and cosmic horror

- The cosmic horror elements are related to the Umbral, the limbo between death and the afterlife that can be seen in the trailers. From an art perspective its inspirations are, among others, HR Giger, Zdzisław Beksiński and surrealist sculptor and performance artist Olivier de Sagazan

- The lantern the player character is equipped with allows to stare into the Umbral from the living world, as well as to escape from it should you enter it.

- You can accept death and reset the world like in a traditional Souls game, leaving the currency you lost at the point you fell and returning to the rest site visited most recently, or decide to descend into the Umbral as a sort of second chance, searching for unique treasure and then seeking out a 'totem' that slides you back to reality. In this world, however, healing items are less effective and an insanity meter fills if you stay in too long.

- The Umbral can also be accessed through a 'deathwish' ritual that induces a kind of penalty-free demise, since there are items and loot that can only be found there

- The architecture of the real world and the Umbral interact with each other; for example, a chasm in the real world may be bridged in the Umbral, and even when living you could raise the lantern, which shows the Umbral overlaid on the real world as a kind of portal, and as long as the lantern shows the way, you could cross that bridge

- TLotF is a game about "observation and detective work", in which gaps and dead ends should encourage further investigation. As in games such as Soul Reaver, changes in a world may open new paths in the other

- While smaller Umbral denizens cower from the lamp, larger ones may actually reach through the light and drag you to the other side

- There are 9 starting classes to choose from at the moment (the number may change in the final release), and this choice may have an effect on how deeply you need to become acquainted with the Umbral - a necromancer can hardly avoid it

- The game's equivalent of the bonfires, called 'anchors', appear only sparsely at fixed locations, but their number can be increased by crafting them and placing them as you see fit. Their crafting materials can only be looted from Umbral enemies, however, and they wear out with use and can also be destroyed if found by enemies

- During the first playthrough, there will be fast travel between anchors and the hub area, but in New Game+ there will be no permanent anchors, and the warping functionality will be restricted

- Co-op play will be untethered and seamless, so partners will stay connected as long as they want: if you die, you switch to a spectator mode until a companion resurrects you

- There are three factions in the game, and depending on your alignment you will receive a specific currency that can be exchanged at shrines for items and equipment, but the most precious gear will remain out of reach until the combined playerbase donates enough currency to unlock the higher tiers - "We'relooking for players to organize themselves, and start all grinding together as a community"

- There will be crossplay between PC and consoles

- There won't be any poison swamps (lol)
:obama  Souls Reaver?  I'm down.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32236 on: January 27, 2023, 02:50:26 PM »
Xbox version of Goldeneye seems to run at 30fps with framedrops. If they really wanted to preserve the N64 experience it should've ran at 20 fps with huge framedrops basically everywhere. (The Switch version basically does that.)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32237 on: January 27, 2023, 05:25:10 PM »
best to play the xbla remake
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32238 on: January 27, 2023, 06:23:31 PM »
Soooooo

GoldenEye XBS
+ Basically free for Rare Replay and GamePass enjoyers (digital only tho)
+ Better Controls
+ 4k resolution
- Slightly worse resolution and framepacing
- Distorted sound
- No cheat codes
- No online multiplayer

GoldenEye Switch
- Only available on NSWO + Expansion Pack
- Worse Controls
- Lower resolution
- More unstable framerate
+ Better sound
+ Cheat codes
+ Online multiplayer

GoldenEye 64
- Only available on N64
+ Original controls
- Even lower resolution
- Even more unstable framerate
+ Best sound
+ Cheat codes
- No online multiplayer

Perfectly balanced, as all things should be
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #32239 on: January 27, 2023, 07:18:52 PM »
Is there anything that explains why what should be an easy and clean bit of business is such a weird mess?
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #32241 on: January 27, 2023, 08:10:51 PM »
Is there anything that explains why what should be an easy and clean bit of business is such a weird mess?

The Broccolis are dicks and think videogames are for idiots. That's basically it. There was a 20-year mandate that any Bond games must use the current actor (with the notable exception of From Russia With Love, and that's basically what's most notable about that game).

That's why they dumped a bunch of money into the Wii remake instead of doing a quick and easy port to both XBLA and Virtual Console. They were literally forced to switch Brosnan for Craig if they wanted to have the same "game." Microsoft, Nintendo, and Activision all agreed back then the same as they're agreeing for the current release. It was always EON Productions and the Broccolis holding things up.

And yes, the Broccolis count remakes and rereleases the same as an all-new project. Wheee

Polident Hive

« Reply #32242 on: January 27, 2023, 08:10:59 PM »
There’s a custom version of Project 64 for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to play as PC shooters. Worked really well when I played it some years back.

These official versions, I expected Perfect Dark XBLA quality. Somehow falling short of that a decade later is actually pretty impressive.

The Broccolis are dicks and think videogames are for idiots. That's basically it. There was a 20-year mandate that any Bond games must use the current actor (with the notable exception of From Russia With Love, and that's basically what's most notable about that game).

That's why they dumped a bunch of money into the Wii remake instead of doing a quick and easy port to both XBLA and Virtual Console. They were literally forced to switch Brosnan for Craig if they wanted to have the same "game."

Hey, there’s also Agent Under Fire. They used an original Bond who looked like Archer or Henry Cavill.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32243 on: January 27, 2023, 08:27:27 PM »
I think the only reason this can be released now is because there is no "official" Bond actor after Craig completed No Time To Die. There is also the part where Nintendo has new management and doesn't worry about competition from Xbox.
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32244 on: January 27, 2023, 09:00:11 PM »
There’s a custom version of Project 64 for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark to play as PC shooters. Worked really well when I played it some years back.

These official versions, I expected Perfect Dark XBLA quality. Somehow falling short of that a decade later is actually pretty impressive.

That's why they dumped a bunch of money into the Wii remake instead of doing a quick and easy port to both XBLA and Virtual Console. They were literally forced to switch Brosnan for Craig if they wanted to have the same "game."

Hey, there’s also Agent Under Fire. They used an original Bond who looked like Archer or Henry Cavill.

The remastered xbla release is out there
What

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32245 on: January 27, 2023, 10:27:45 PM »
One additional aspect that Tasty touched on is that back when this happened before Activision got saddled with the blame but it was because they were the license holder. Kotick actually figured the original getting rereleased on digital stores would benefit their license.

Everybody focuses on GoldenEye but no James Bond shit is ever going to get rereleased. They don't even sell the old stuff on digital stores on PC. You just have to think about the two major companies that are getting blocked by this to realize who's doing it: EA and Activision, they'd keep selling all that junk (and a couple instances of good stuff) in a heartbeat if they could. Hell, Activision probably would put James Bond in Warzone. :lol
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:32:12 PM by benjipwns »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #32246 on: January 28, 2023, 12:09:28 AM »
Licensed games pre PS4 era are really going to become sought-after items.

It would also be cool if they brought an older Bond or an older actor who missed their chance to be Bond in the IO game. Like Clive Owen.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32247 on: January 28, 2023, 07:36:35 AM »
ど助平

BIONIC

Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32249 on: January 29, 2023, 07:01:08 AM »

:lawd
« Last Edit: January 29, 2023, 07:06:52 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #32250 on: January 29, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »
Horizon Multiplayer Leak

https://www.reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/10mwcem/very_early_indev_horizon_forbidden_west_leaked/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

That Fortnite knockoff art style :oreilly
So a MMO game or GAAS trash? I think they've missed the train on both of those, and free to play isn't sony's style at all :doge
What I get from "unique stylized" is a cartoony Fortnite clone with a Horizon coat.  yuckitty yuck.  :yuck
:hesright called it

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #32251 on: January 29, 2023, 01:50:31 PM »
for some reason I am only learning now that despite being ported to everything under the sun back in the day, Rampage somehow skipped the 16-bit era

:dizzy

the arcade original from 1986 looks perfectly suited to the SNES or Genesis but no, their cash grab ended at one of the most lucrative eras

and then later finally picked up on PS1 and N64
Uncle

Svejk

« Reply #32252 on: January 29, 2023, 06:33:10 PM »
for some reason I am only learning now that despite being ported to everything under the sun back in the day, Rampage somehow skipped the 16-bit era

the arcade original from 1986 looks perfectly suited to the SNES or Genesis but no, their cash grab ended at one of the most lucrative eras

The SMS version was fantastic.  One of those rare instances where they made an almost arcade perfect port.  Same with Paperboy.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #32253 on: January 29, 2023, 06:56:44 PM »
I did see that, SMS looked great

Lynx also looked great, even added a rat character that wasn't in any other versions  :o

Uncle

BikeJesus

« Reply #32254 on: January 29, 2023, 11:40:14 PM »
Make sure to check out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1016180/Terror_of_Hemasaurus/

Basically Rampage modernized with buildings that can fall into each other. Also, you can kick people in wheelchairs into helicopter blades.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #32255 on: January 30, 2023, 10:22:05 AM »
Make sure to check out:

Basically Rampage modernized with buildings that can fall into each other. Also, you can kick people in wheelchairs into helicopter blades.

...wow the story looks like some trite, hamfisted garbage

climate change is a major problem but a game like this is not how you solve it or raise awareness, a little pixel time-waster is not where I want to be preached to, and it's literally from beginning to end

hilarious  ::)
Uncle

paprikastaude

« Reply #32256 on: January 30, 2023, 11:00:44 AM »
I'm taken out of any indie game the very moment I have to picture the Twitter furry who made it and whose writing makes the eco-message in Final Fantasy VII look subtle. Even back in the day, the moment in which Super Meat Boy threw a wojak at me, I closed it and never looked back.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 11:10:41 AM by paprikastaude »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32257 on: January 30, 2023, 11:35:51 AM »
I don't think Super Meat Boy had one of those. Opening cutscenes were like game parodies and then it had older memes like the dramatic gopher sting being used in between worlds.

You missed out on the gold standard for indie platforming games.

BIONIC

« Reply #32258 on: January 30, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »
Make sure to check out:

...wow the story looks like some trite, hamfisted garbage

climate change is a major problem but a game like this is not how you solve it or raise awareness, a little pixel time-waster is not where I want to be preached to, and it's literally from beginning to end

hilarious  ::)

Everything is political :bolo :social2
Margs

Himu

« Reply #32259 on: January 30, 2023, 03:16:10 PM »

Rampage is one of those franchises that was everywhere that no one thinks about or cares about anymore and it's crazy. The shit isn't even on Steam. What happened?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #32260 on: January 30, 2023, 03:17:16 PM »
I'm taken out of any indie game the very moment I have to picture the Twitter furry who made it and whose writing makes the eco-message in Final Fantasy VII look subtle. Even back in the day, the moment in which Super Meat Boy threw a wojak at me, I closed it and never looked back.

??? Meat Boy doesn't suffer from this and every cutscene is a parody.
IYKYK

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32261 on: January 30, 2023, 05:55:51 PM »
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #32262 on: January 30, 2023, 06:44:14 PM »
Doesn't Nintendo handle NSO emu internally? I think NoE handles it.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32263 on: January 30, 2023, 07:14:42 PM »
Yup, my feeling is Nintendo didn't want to give Goldeneye special treatment over other N64 ROMS and they or another party involved wanted parity between the releases. So an N64 ROM was ported to Xbox and Switch and not the XBLA version.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #32264 on: January 30, 2023, 09:04:17 PM »
Only two weeks until Wanted: Dead comes out! OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

Svejk

« Reply #32265 on: January 30, 2023, 09:29:36 PM »

UE5 looking guud

Himu

« Reply #32266 on: January 30, 2023, 09:39:11 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
Game.looks dope

UE5 looking guud

No gameplay, just a bunch of cinematic claptrap.
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32267 on: January 31, 2023, 05:26:57 AM »
Chinese Lara Croft?

Edit: Hehheheheehe, Lala Cloft. :lol
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 05:39:31 AM by HardcoreRetro »

Svejk

« Reply #32268 on: January 31, 2023, 07:24:15 AM »
The game is entirely cloud based apparently.  :nope

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32269 on: January 31, 2023, 01:12:26 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Lets uhh wait and see huh
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32270 on: January 31, 2023, 01:14:33 PM »
Yup, my feeling is Nintendo didn't want to give Goldeneye special treatment over other N64 ROMS and they or another party involved wanted parity between the releases. So an N64 ROM was ported to Xbox and Switch and not the XBLA version.

Fuck Nintendo. Company is trash
What

Tasty

« Reply #32271 on: January 31, 2023, 01:25:33 PM »
Why?
Nintendo didn't want to give Goldeneye special treatment over other N64 ROMS

Seems reasonable to me.

another party involved wanted parity between the releases

Fuck whoever the other party is, then, because Nintendo was totally cool with the complete XBLA remake even while only dumping the ROM on their own VC.

benjipwns

« Reply #32272 on: January 31, 2023, 02:09:58 PM »
I think the intent was literally to release the original mildly updated, if they wanted to release the remake (either version, since Microsoft is now in position to effectively rerelease Activision's version if they want) it's not like the Switch couldn't handle it, it's not the situation that occurred with the Wii.

If anything I would assume that Microsoft let Nintendo handle it because it was assumed that Nintendo could best emulate their own hardware and Microsoft would then be able to simply port the emulator. The counterargument would be that Rare Replay showed Microsoft could probably produce the better product but Nintendo probably would not accept it rather than produce their own version. (Maybe this is what happened too? Rare did it for Microsoft but had to hew as close as possible to what Nintendo was doing as part of the agreement?)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:14:56 PM by benjipwns »

Himu

« Reply #32273 on: January 31, 2023, 02:10:17 PM »
I turned on my ps4 and after so much time with my Series X I realize I disliked so much about the PS4, from the UI to the online features. It has been endless amounts of bad. The first time I ever had to replace a controller for a console because the controller just stopped working for instance, and it cost like 80 bucks to replace I think? The fact that the first time I got the console I couldn't do anything with it because despite being on wifi the wifi signal couldn't be picked up for some reason and the system wouldn't let me do anything without being online. Even now I'm hooked up to the same wifi as my Xbox and I see notifications in the tray. I go to notifications and just get a blank screen. I looked through my PS4 game catalogue and  I missed so much of the biggest and best games of last gen. I loaded up Elden Ring and it took me like 4 minutes to get to the start screen. PS4 is so fucking slow.

I've been getting stuff I missed last gen on Xbox and it such a more smooth, fast, enjoyable experience. Please list the best games of last gen. If I haven't played it I'll add it to my list. No RPGs, though. RPGs are lame.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 02:18:11 PM by Himu »
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #32274 on: January 31, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »
preordered Hogwarts Legacy

Its been a year since I bought my last game and Im hopeful this will be an amazing game
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #32275 on: January 31, 2023, 02:13:52 PM »
 :banplz
(ice)

Himu

« Reply #32276 on: January 31, 2023, 02:14:40 PM »
preordered Hogwarts Legacy

Its been a year since I bought my last game and Im hopeful this will be an amazing game

Bigot.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #32277 on: January 31, 2023, 02:28:24 PM »
I kinda wish Hogwarts was an MMO.

Imagine the fuckery. :lawd

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #32278 on: January 31, 2023, 02:49:02 PM »
seems kinda wild no one made a potter mmo during the mmo goldrush of the mid-late 00's tbh. one released around the time of the last book would have made so much :money good or bad.
(ice)

benjipwns

« Reply #32279 on: January 31, 2023, 03:17:27 PM »
There's a Potter world based role playing thing within Garry's Mod. Lots of attending classes and unlocking magic and stuff.