Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3050963 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #19860 on: June 15, 2018, 02:46:31 AM »
Speaking of Remedy, iirc Alan Wake was removed from Steam? I think I missed getting that...

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19861 on: June 15, 2018, 11:11:23 AM »
Speaking of Remedy, iirc Alan Wake was removed from Steam? I think I missed getting that...

music licensing issue

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #19862 on: June 15, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
I very much enjoyed Max Payne games during their prime. Alan Wake was kinda boring in some aspects but had a unique feel to it. Definitely looking forward to what they can cook up next. Might give QB a go even after all the crap i heard about it.

Bebpo

« Reply #19863 on: June 15, 2018, 05:31:49 PM »
I very much enjoyed Max Payne games during their prime. Alan Wake was kinda boring in some aspects but had a unique feel to it. Definitely looking forward to what they can cook up next. Might give QB a go even after all the crap i heard about it.

Yup that's how I feel about MP and AW. Still need to play QB as well.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19864 on: June 15, 2018, 08:35:42 PM »

:lawd :mouf
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19865 on: June 15, 2018, 08:50:33 PM »
want her to empty a magazine of armor piercing rounds into my head

:mouf

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19866 on: June 16, 2018, 06:46:19 AM »

you can still find a steam key for it tho, as low as 2,49

« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:53:24 AM by MMaRsu »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19867 on: June 16, 2018, 08:39:24 AM »
Ok here's the deal.

I'm still in the HD-gaming ghetto on the console side. Although I do have a very nice Sony panel.
But I'm kinda worried that Switch will look crappy on a 4K screen and that's my main console right now.

How's the 4K Switch quality?

Also I might have to upgrade my Xbox One to Xbox One X or replace my PC GPU because the 980 Ti is lacking just a wee bit to handle 4K. :thinking

Also how are TV interfaces these days. I like my Sony a lot because it's straightforward and I have seen some shit at friends lately that looks as convoluted as the plot to Kingdom Hearts
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 08:46:23 AM by Nintex »
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #19868 on: June 16, 2018, 08:51:14 AM »
Whatever TV you're looking to buy should have an option to simply integer scale from 1080p to 2160p (as 4K is just edge-doubled 1080p) for pixel perfect sharpness.

Whatever you do, don't buy a GPU now. What's out now is years old at this point. New tech and/or refreshes are coming, though nobody quite knows when. Can't be too long though. :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19869 on: June 16, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
Whatever TV you're looking to buy should have an option to simply integer scale from 1080p to 2160p (as 4K is just edge-doubled 1080p) for pixel perfect sharpness.

Whatever you do, don't buy a GPU now. What's out now is years old at this point. New tech and/or refreshes are coming, though nobody quite knows when. Can't be too long though. :doge
I read about the Nvidia Turing arriving around July/August. So that would be a suitable replacement for my 980 Ti, (which still handles everything I throw at it at 2160p)

My guess is I'll end up with both a GPU upgrade and a new console but the question is timing.
Do I get a 4K panel first, wait for next-gen or get one of the souped up current-gen consoles along with the TV.
🤴

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #19870 on: June 16, 2018, 05:45:28 PM »
Get a pro or X with the tv. Sell the old console once a new comes out. You bought a 980TI so i assume money ain't really all that pressing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19871 on: June 17, 2018, 08:36:31 AM »
Get a pro or X with the tv. Sell the old console once a new comes out. You bought a 980TI so i assume money ain't really all that pressing.
Money ain't all that pressing thankfully.

With that said the 980 Ti was one of the best investments I've done for PC.
It launched June 2015, and I got it directly at launch for 700 euro(?).

Then the prices exploded and new cards would launch at much higher prices, while not offering much more performance or features.
This card still runs everything maxed out after 3 years on 2160p. So if I wasn't going with 4K I probably wouldn't have to upgrade for another 2 or 3 years.

With AMD before that I was on 1.5/2 year upgrade cycles. With the 7950 being the absolute worst in price/performance/quality so I dropped AMD entirely.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #19872 on: June 17, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
Isn’t 2160P and 4K the same thing?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #19873 on: June 17, 2018, 12:02:51 PM »
I assumed he meant 1080p or 1440p.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #19874 on: June 17, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19875 on: June 17, 2018, 04:33:12 PM »
Isn’t 2160P and 4K the same thing?
Ah yes, 1440p.  2560x1440 to be precise.

I just read up on OLED panels today

:ohhh

LG has them with perfect black levels, HDR, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, low input lag.
And because the rest of Yurop needs TV's to watch their football, these things are heavily discounted now.

🤴

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #19876 on: June 17, 2018, 05:21:14 PM »
Yeah, just that they have burn in problems so the use as a PC monitor is not a good idea, perhaps there could be some problems with some games on consoles even(did not have any issues so far though). HDR is also still shit on PC so there's that also.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #19877 on: June 17, 2018, 09:11:20 PM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19878 on: June 18, 2018, 02:44:39 AM »
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19879 on: June 18, 2018, 02:49:03 AM »

people can watch netflix through the nintendo

:doge
What

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19880 on: June 18, 2018, 12:25:18 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19881 on: June 18, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »

Reggie on Fox News. wow didn't know he had sided the enemy Nazi regime.  :maf
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19882 on: June 18, 2018, 02:21:39 PM »
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19883 on: June 18, 2018, 03:58:48 PM »
WORLD SHOCKED: DISNEY-NINTENDO PACT ANNOUNCEMENT RENEWS FEARS OF NINTENDO VICTORY OVER ALLIED POWERS

Disney left with 'no choice' after failed Solo offensive. Annexed Fortnite continues to roar and rumble through Sony defense lines.
Square Enix evacuating the FF7R source code to PlayStation 5. Electronic Arts fears Star Wars betrayal as armistice comes up for renewal.
Rare Ltd set ablaze to deny Japanese invaders access to valuable 4K knowledge. STEAM streamroller grinding to a halt as Valve fails to resupply VR frontlines and is bogged down by Hentai-partisans.

Nintendo proclaims complete and total victory in the video game war is expected soon. 

"If we remain steadfast with our iron will [...] Pokemon Go: Let's go Eevee shall be played in the halls of the Kremlin by Christmas."
- Shuntaro Furukawa
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19884 on: June 19, 2018, 04:12:21 PM »
Ok shopping for TV's is like shopping for GPU's now.

Exhibit one: QLED vs. OLED

LG fanboys: OLED is godlike, QLED is just Samsung marketing speak for the same garbage
Samsung fanboys: QLED is godlike, OLED will cause burn-in and is way too dark

Reality:
OLED 2016 models: Dark af, burn-in galore, input laaaag
OLED 2017 models: Less dark, no more burn-in, input lag normalized
OLED 2018 models: Bright enough, no more burn-in, input lag fixed but you might want to consider QLED

QLED 2016 models: LOL this is garbage but no burn-in I guess
QLED 2017 models: Not as good as OLED but brighter and more 'punchy' also no burn-in
QLED 2018 models: Wow, this is the best LCD we've ever seen but there are reasons to like OLED more

And I haven't even started on the HDR10+ and Dolby Vision divide, WebOS vs. Tizen vs. Android, Black frame insertion and Sony and Panasonic that once in a while sneak in a really great TV.

The image quality of these things is insane but the technology, features, pro/cons are all so confusing.
 :lawd
🤴

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #19885 on: June 20, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »
Just buy something. Shit will get outdated with the next model anyway.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #19886 on: June 20, 2018, 08:41:22 PM »
Just buy something that won't burn in. Easy, peasy, beautiful Covergirl™.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19887 on: June 20, 2018, 09:23:45 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #19888 on: June 20, 2018, 09:38:33 PM »
now i'm going to wonder if that ever crossed their mind to use in the trailer

benjipwns

« Reply #19889 on: June 21, 2018, 09:27:19 AM »
The depth of your knowledge of random technical things and tidbits like that always impresses me. I gave a half hearted search as to why there was never a Torchlight 3 and never found shit as informative as that. I'd read your blog

Benji’s Vidya and Comics Minutia Blog when
as i am sitting on some extra free time this summer cycle, i decided i needed even more personal failure and crushing disappointment in my days

benji v. The Video Games
Standing athwart video game history, yelling "four out of ten!"

no promises

i have no idea what i'm doing, i mean in terms of what i'll post, wordpress is no problem and i used their free service instead of getting some cheap hosting somewhere despite the downsides in capability so as to avoid real commitments

and the smart thing to do would have been to post this after i put some legitimate content up first, but that doesn't seem like the ideal way to bring everything full circle when this fades into oblivion down the road would it?

spoiler (click to show/hide)
hopefully there's at least some decent mockery of me out of this
[close]

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #19890 on: June 21, 2018, 12:31:38 PM »
You can always try to get free review copies with the blog up and running. Going by most reviews you won't have to put effort into your reviews either.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19891 on: June 21, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »
Maybe you'll hit Shinobi Speaks levels of success!  :doge

And finally, hello there. Nate here.

It’s shinobi602. Yes, that shinobi602 you may or may not have seen on places like Twitter.
\
:snob
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19892 on: June 21, 2018, 01:04:33 PM »
Ahh that shinobi

guy is so full of himself
What

benjipwns

« Reply #19893 on: June 21, 2018, 01:43:56 PM »
You can always try to get free review copies with the blog up and running. Going by most reviews you won't have to put effort into your reviews either.
not really intending on covering the latest releases or anything other than by coincidence or happenstance, rather instead plundering the treasures and crimes of the past (varying greatly in how recent of a past) through low rent archaeology, along with the undercovered obscure from steam

the rat race of "relevance" seems to be well deluged already, plus it's not particularly my interest in this foolish endeavor

companies can still send free keys though, i'll activate them no matter what, i promise

benjipwns

« Reply #19894 on: June 21, 2018, 01:52:22 PM »
Maybe you'll hit Shinobi Speaks levels of success!  :doge

And finally, hello there. Nate here.

It’s shinobi602. Yes, that shinobi602 you may or may not have seen on places like Twitter.
\
:snob
wow i didn't even know he had a blog just thought he was a twitter and forum shill

i can't compete with this kind of engrossing content: https://shinobispeaks.com/2017/07/06/top-10-sexiest-game-systems-of-all-time/
FEATURED   / 2 COMMENTS
Game consoles have come and gone over the last three decades and some looked better than others. I dive in to my top 10 all time favorite console designs.
9. PlayStation Vita

“Sleek” is what comes to mind every time I look the Vita. I’m not a fan of the system’s name but damn is it a looker. The glossy black looks great, the buttons all look like they’re high quality and the overall layout feels good in the hands. The huge screen in the middle just tops it all off. It’s a beauty overall.
7. Nintendo Wii

Ignoring the cheesy name, I have to admit the hardware itself is sharp. I never cared much for motion gaming but I still think the Wii is elegant and simplistic in its design and that works to its favor. There’s really not much to it. It’s a basic rectangular shape but it looks sleek. The brightly lit blue LED strip on the front face of the console adds a wonderful touch.

and that highly engaged discussion:
Well, those the top 10 best looking gaming systems from where I stand. How do you feel about the list? Any consoles or handhelds that you feel deserve to be on there? Let me know guys!

Nate
Magneto_Perfection
JULY 10, 2017 AT 8:46 PM
Great list and read, Nate! Good taste!

Liked by 1 person

GamesandStuff
SEPTEMBER 14, 2017 AT 8:37 AM
PS Vita is my favourite. Everytime i see mine I pick it up, just to admire it. Great list 🙂

benjipwns

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19896 on: June 21, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »
Im also expecting to hear more of Ubisoft
What

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #19897 on: June 21, 2018, 03:23:25 PM »
as i am sitting on some extra free time this summer cycle, i decided i needed even more personal failure and crushing disappointment in my days

benji v. The Video Games

no promises
Bookmark'd

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19898 on: June 21, 2018, 04:33:42 PM »
The depth of your knowledge of random technical things and tidbits like that always impresses me. I gave a half hearted search as to why there was never a Torchlight 3 and never found shit as informative as that. I'd read your blog

Benji’s Vidya and Comics Minutia Blog when

benji v. The Video Games

what a time to be alive
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #19899 on: June 21, 2018, 06:09:20 PM »
Im also expecting to hear more of Ubisoft
No two ways about it, Ubisoft always brings something to table. ...

We’re certainly going to see Skull & Bones again (and likely a release date), and I’m expecting a glimpse into either Watch Dogs 3 or the next Assassin’s Creed, which I anticipate to continue the path of differentiation in the series ala Assassin’s Creed: Origins. Mark this one down, there’s always something.

Probability: Very High
YO, HE CALLED IT

paprikastaude

« Reply #19900 on: June 21, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Not even hitting this baby target completely though, because he had to throw watch dogs in there to be completely safe  :lol

benjipwns

« Reply #19901 on: June 21, 2018, 07:39:46 PM »
your thread actually inspired me to say "i should just do that blog thing like people suggested a while ago" rather than start a dumb thread about some gloriously terrible looking PS1 jank i was curating a small menu of

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19902 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:38 PM »
I predict we will hear more from Geoff Keighly at the Video Game Awards. He might even world premiere a new video game there from Microsoft or Sony or one of the other gaming studios.
I feel pretty confident about this. Hideo Kojima might even make surprise appearance to promote his new game which I believe is called Death Stranding.

Probability: Very High

It's hard to guess what Nintendo will do but according to my sources they might develop a new game in the widely popular Super Mario series. The Super Mario series, always known to star Mario, Toad and Peach might add in a few new characters, possibly villains.
I also expect we will see some fan favorites like Bowser or Luigi return to this series in the future.

Probability: High   
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19903 on: June 22, 2018, 05:50:35 PM »
SNES Classics in stock [$80] on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic-nintendo/dp/B0721GGGS9

Only about 50% left of their stock, so it's going pretty quick.
dog

Bebpo

« Reply #19904 on: June 22, 2018, 06:26:44 PM »
Thanks, I never picked up NES or SNES because of the zero availability, so I guess I'll get this one. Might just use it as a gift because I know people who want it.

Bebpo

« Reply #19905 on: June 22, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »
So this is my first time actually looking into detail at one of these NES/SNES classic things. Why aren't the controllers wireless wtffff Otherwise seems cool.

benjipwns

« Reply #19906 on: June 22, 2018, 06:35:08 PM »
So this is my first time actually looking into detail at one of these NES/SNES classic things. Why aren't the controllers wireless wtffff Otherwise seems cool.
THAT'S NOW HOW THE ORIGINAL CONSOLE WAS

Bebpo

« Reply #19907 on: June 22, 2018, 06:38:22 PM »
Original console didn't have HDMI either  :maf

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #19908 on: June 22, 2018, 06:55:09 PM »

Its even cooler if you hack it up

fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19909 on: June 22, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Original console didn't have HDMI either  :maf
If they were still made Nintendo would've shipped them with cable boxes for the true retro experience.  :doge
🤴

Corporal

« Reply #19910 on: June 22, 2018, 06:58:37 PM »
Yeah, all the provided cables are rather short. It's like they want you to either sit right in front of your TV or buy additional shit (controller extension cords, long HDMI cable).

Still kinda annoyed that they didn't add a hidden home menu button to the SNES controller. Reaching over to the console is no big dealio I guess, and it's kinda nostalgic, but nonetheless... Why you gotta make me stand up to manage savestates or switch games.

And no power supply. Those cheap bastards.
!list

Bebpo

« Reply #19911 on: June 22, 2018, 07:42:48 PM »

Its even cooler if you hack it up

(Image removed from quote.)

Did they ever update the models so you can't hack them? If not, yeah I probably will do that if I open it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #19912 on: June 22, 2018, 09:28:45 PM »
I dont think they did..even though I barely use mine I have about 40 snes games on it..it's so damn cute standing next to my nes classic ( which I havent modded yet )
What

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #19913 on: June 22, 2018, 09:42:17 PM »
SNES Classics in stock [$80] on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-NES-Classic-nintendo/dp/B0721GGGS9

Only about 50% left of their stock, so it's going pretty quick.
I saw one in a store the other day and thought about it.
Hi

Bebpo

« Reply #19914 on: June 23, 2018, 05:33:37 AM »
fucking finally!

Disaster Report 4 got a release date for October 25th in Japan. I remember when this game was supposed to come out in 2011 before the Fukushima disaster killed it. Been a long road, but hopefully it's a good game. I'm assuming it'll come out in the US soon after.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19915 on: June 23, 2018, 10:53:01 AM »
The TV quest has ended. I will summary my weeks of watching TV reviews and going through the AVS and other boards so you don't have to.
You're welccome :)

Pulled the trigger on the LG 55C8.
It was pretty much down to:
- Panasonic FZ800/FZ900 (OLED)
- LG55C8 (or an older B7 or C7 model) (OLED)
- One of the Sony OLED's or LCD's
- Samsung Q9FN (LED/LCD)

LED/LCD:
- Bad viewing angles
- Higher brightness
- No risk of burn-in

OLED:
- Best black levels
- Great viewing angles
- Risk of burn in (although all sorts of measures has been taken since OLED was first introduced to 'fix' this)

Sony
The Sony OLED dropped out of consideration first due to variable input lag (between 30 and 50ms, vs. 21 ms for the LG and Panasonic and 15ms for the Samsung).
Most reviews highly recommended it for movies but not for gaming. The Android TV platform is also the black sheep of the Android family.
It does handle motion the best out of all of the OLED TV's. So no 'judder' when the Star Wars credit scroll appears.

Samsung
Moving on the Samsung dropped second because it was only available for the standard price of 2500 - 3000 euro or so due to the limited availability.
The model in a lower price range (Q7) is also a nice screen but only edge-lit and lacks a bunch of features. The somewhat cheaper Q8FN is not available in Europe (at least, not at the same quality as in the US and Asia).
It's a more 'premium' build of the Q7 vs. a less expensive Q9 as in other markets. Samsung is planning to release a better model in Europe too but the price will likely be close to the Q9FN at launch and not come down for a while.
Still if you can get a nice deal and you plan to watch a lot of daytime TV the Q9/Q8 or Q7 are great choices. If you have other Samsung appliances the integration is also nice and in terms of design it's probably the most striking.
Out of this list the Q9FN is probably the best all-round choice and the black levels are crazy for an LCD(almost OLED level) and no risk of burn in. What I also liked about the Samsungs is the One Connect box, which means one cable goes to a separate cable box for your HDMI ports and such. Very sleek.

Panasonic
That left the Panasonic and LG. The Panasonic is a great panel. Pretty much reference level but had a few caveats. Only 2 HDMI ports offer full bandwith. Also the European version is remarkably worse in terms of build quality.
First there's the remote. Instead of the premium remote, you get a plastic-y thing. Lastly their software is a dead end. It hasn't changed much in years and a whole bunch of apps are missing.
I'm not particularly worried about the apps but do feel that if it's outdated now, it'll be ancient in 3 or 4 years time. Furthermore the price was still 2500 with a deal it could go down to 2200 but not much cheaper than that.
Still, like the LG the Panasonic is a 'reference' level TV and some reviewers liked it better. A shame the European version isn't as good but Panasonic is losing steam here.

LG
Pricing on the LG is very aggressive. First I was considering the B7 or C7 because they were in the 1400 - 1800 range. While the C8 was in the 2500 - 3000 range and overall there wasn't a very big difference in picture quality.
However I learned that HDR in gaming is rather dark on the B7/C7 and it doesn't handle motion as well as the newer models. Also it couldn't do all bells and whistles in gaming mode.
Still the 2017 models are very nice TVs. One of if not the best of 2017 easily. We're really splitting hairs here.
However, LG fixed the faults of the C7 with the C8. Like other OLED's perfect black levels and the brightest OLED so far, which if you want to do a lot of daytime viewing might be important to consider.
All features for the gaming mode can be used on the C8 was well not to mention the latest WebOs platform with a Wii mote like pointer which is apart from Tizen the best smart TV platform.
In terms of picture the Panasonic and Sony are a bit more natural while the LG has more 'impact'.  It kinda depends on what you prefer but with some tuning you can get quite close to a natural Sony look but the Sony's can't be configured to
have more impact like the LG's have. Overall better than last year's C7, which was the best OLED yet.

LG is now offering a nice cashback offer of 300 on these panels in Europe. Furthermore the 'official' price had already dropped to 2400.
When there's abundance of stock the prices tend to go down fast. So today I called a store that is known for offering good prices on TV's they stock in large quantity's. 

They offered me 1949 - 300 in cashback through LG. Bringing the grand total to 1649 euro for a 2018 OLED(!). That's 1100 euro's in savings.  :whew

Should be here next week  :rejoice
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #19916 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:53 PM »
Sam Lake on control

- No mass market appeal necessary and more creative freedom
- Less hand holding (than Quantum Break)
- More weird stuff

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/remedys-sam-lake-opens-up-about-having-the-freedom/1100-6459988/

:rejoice
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #19918 on: June 25, 2018, 01:47:49 PM »
Yeah, all the provided cables are rather short. It's like they want you to either sit right in front of your TV or buy additional shit (controller extension cords, long HDMI cable).

Still kinda annoyed that they didn't add a hidden home menu button to the SNES controller. Reaching over to the console is no big dealio I guess, and it's kinda nostalgic, but nonetheless... Why you gotta make me stand up to manage savestates or switch games.

And no power supply. Those cheap bastards.

I got one back in February and it did come with an AC adapter.  I agree about the controller cords being too short.  I got a decent wireless controller from Target for $15.

Did they ever update the models so you can't hack them? If not, yeah I probably will do that if I open it.

Not that I'm aware of, I put about 250 more games on mine.  If they wanted to stop the hacking, all they would need to do is put a real AC adapter plug in on it instead of a USB one.