Author Topic: Random Gaming Talk Thread  (Read 3058752 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Random Gaming Talk Thread
« Reply #20220 on: August 28, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »
I think the developers for Origin spend as much time on the Release Notes as they do the actual program updates. :doge
Most Recent

Version 10.5.25
  • We guess our linebackers got a little carried away but, don’t worry, the refs threw a flag so now nothing’s blocking your Play First Trial of Madden NFL 19.
  • Our cornerbacks caught and squashed a bug that was showing incorrect upgrade messaging.
  • We discovered and flattened a new species of insect, Refugium Decipio Aranea, that was putting out incorrect refund messaging.
  • We said ‘da svidania’ to some bugs causing issues with how Russian prices would display on Origin.com.
  • It turns out that jittery feeling we got from launching Premier wasn’t just from us being excited; so we shook out digital ants from our proverbial pants.
  • Our last cleanup left behind some icky, sticky, pulpy bug goo that prevented purchasing here and there, but we got some really good squeegees and cleaned up everything.
  • We found some weird, six-legged beetle looking things that loved to chew on Tiberium pages causing them to 404. We did some fumigating and they’re gone now. Whoopie!
  • Some ants got into our TOS links and moved a few characters around causing them to load incorrectly. After writing an angry letter to their queen the drones put things back and everything is working fine.
  • The Cloud Sync conflict error message had a little too much coffee causing it to overzealously pop up for some games. Don’t worry, we gave it a chill pill and now it’s working as it needs to.
  • Our engineers rubbed a magic lamp and asked a genie to nix some bugs preventing users from removing things from their wishlist.
  • We sprayed some pesticide on some creepy crawlies that made it hard to bundle titles here and there. Now you should be able to add bundled title purchases without any problems.
  • Our boots are super slimy after squashing a bunch of bugs that removed Premier specific Vault games from the Vault list.
  • We saw you were having trouble viewing your library after adding a Play First Trial and trying to see it in your collection. We found, caged and sent the insectoid culprit up river.
  • We called in a raid on all those bugs who crashed your Origin Access Premier party to better your good times.

Past Updates

Version 10.5.24
  • We cleaned up a nest of bugs after they got into some lab equipment causing a slight telepod mix up that cronenberged a few employees. We got them sorted out - all good now!

Version 10.5.23
  • Our search feature really wanted to display game results in English…which is great for folks who understand English. It's not so great for those who don't. After a little tinkering, it's back to it's normal, multi-lingual self.
  • Added an "Are you really sure?" message for when you hit "Cancel" while installing the client. Great for those times when your button-clicking finger is moving a little bit faster than your brain.
  • Have your Mass Effect 2 DLC downloads been stalling out lately? We sent Garrus over to perform some calibrations and get things working properly again. Now you can take on the Shadow Broker, team up with Kasumi, investigate that mysterious Cerberus base and more!
  • We squashed a bug that was making players' achievements pages look a little bland. Now the game art's back where it belongs - making your achievements look even more stunning!
  • Some of our text badges were wandering off their game tiles and following players around from page to page. We left a trail of (virtual) breadcrumbs to lead them back home again.
Looking back in the changelog, this started back with 10.5.4 so they've been writing them like this for almost a year now. :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #20221 on: August 28, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »
Thats great haha
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #20222 on: August 29, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
Onimusha is back?

If this remaster is to gauge interest in a new game, people'd better buy the damn game.

Svejk

« Reply #20223 on: August 29, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
With the recent Cyberpunk hype, I wanted to pick up Shadowrun: DF on android... but fuckin Google Play has it delisted temporarily.   >:(

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #20224 on: August 29, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #20225 on: August 29, 2018, 02:49:02 PM »
"Video game, play it or fucking don't"

Words to live by
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #20226 on: August 29, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »

benji, explain
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #20227 on: August 29, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
:dead
Which mag is this? I want more. :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20228 on: August 29, 2018, 03:10:33 PM »
I saw it on twitter, someone said it's from Nintendo Official Magazine (UK).
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20230 on: August 29, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »

Wish this was real. :noah
dog

Shuri

« Reply #20231 on: August 29, 2018, 09:52:02 PM »
This week I picked up two old school Konami arcade boards,

Jailbreak, 1985

This is perhaps one of the first arcade game I remember playing. It's very primitive now, but it's still fun to play! The bullets come at you fast, it just feels very pure. The sound emulation in that video is SUPER CRAP, the real hardware  sounds so much better, damn  :doge

Rush N Attack, 1985

Another early classic. I was far more familiar with the NES version, but the arcade  has surprisingly good graphics for the time, and the gameplay is simple but fast. you just stab and stab and stab and use flamethrowers and rockets against bad guys. Emulation is kinda crap again for this one.

I got both games for super cheap ($50 each!) so I'm happy with my purchases.

benjipwns

« Reply #20232 on: August 31, 2018, 12:43:17 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

benji, explain
:dead
Which mag is this? I want more. :doge
I saw it on twitter, someone said it's from Nintendo Official Magazine (UK).
I'll look into it.

Yes, that's a shameless and actually irrelevant link to "slyly" note that I've actually been posting my typical stupid crap on the blog and trying to do so every other day or so, but I actually will look into this. Earlier I had looked at a few issues of the Official Sega Saturn UK Magazine that were posted on the archive and they were similarly hilariously written from a total fanboy perspective. So I'm wondering if all the UK versions make the official magazines here in the U.S. look like they were written by "both siders" from The New York Times.

One of the Sega Saturn issues I remember they spent like a paragraph talking about how the edges of the screen in WipEout were much sharper on the Saturn port than the PS1 original, not the rest of it or the framerate or anything, just the edges. :lol

I could only assume they were talking about how polygons get clipped off the screen on the PS1 if they're determined to be more off the screen than on it. (I'm sure we've all seen this, or used it to look through walls in PS1 games.) Whereas everything else will draw the polygon and display half. But I've never actually played it on the Saturn, or for that matter on the PS1 since like 1996. I should download them and compare to see wtf is going on there and report my findings on teh blog. :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Really, if you think about it from a successful blog perspective, this post would probably be on there rather than here talking about how it and other things should be on there.
[close]

bluemax

« Reply #20233 on: August 31, 2018, 01:23:34 AM »
I dunno. FFVII was all about the aesthetic and the world more than gameplay. Thing is though, since then we've had bigger worlds that are just as imagintaive. FFVII stood out because no one had seen anything like it and for many it was their intro to exploring an RPG world. How that holds up in 2018 when people grew up with RPGs and Skyrim, Witcher 3, Mass Effect, Deux Ex and other worlds , I don't know. I'll buy it (if it ever comes out) just for the chance to see Midgar again, but I don't lie it's my nostalgia, not my common sense making that decision.

But the aesthetic of the world doesn't even last once you get off the first content. Like you have Midgar which you spend ~2 hours in. Then uh, whatever the second town is, then Corel, and then the whole Shinra is evil and the world is dying sorta gets forgotten and its just chase after Sephiroth for most of the game (until you meet up with him and Cloud goes crazy or whatever).

I mean the *best* example we have of Square doing something like this before are the remakes of FF3j and FF4j into 3D games on the DS. Do we really think they can make a FF7 remake that equals or surpasses those relatively speaking?
NO

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #20234 on: August 31, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »
That's why I think the episodic nature is a terrible idea. I'd be all over the midgar episode (which will be episode 1 maybe they'll stretch it to 2?) but after that?
 :trumps
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #20235 on: August 31, 2018, 11:13:53 AM »
As long as they keep the rape scene I'll be fine.

kingv

« Reply #20236 on: August 31, 2018, 01:59:02 PM »
Huh, i didn’t know that about the psx polygon rendering.

That explains that janky amateurish quality a lot of the games have.

paprikastaude

« Reply #20237 on: August 31, 2018, 02:14:29 PM »
The fixed backgrounds allowed them to be very creative with the camera angles in the og, which I really liked and will be impossible to recreate with over the shoulder.

benjipwns

« Reply #20238 on: August 31, 2018, 07:49:56 PM »
Huh, i didn’t know that about the psx polygon rendering.

That explains that janky amateurish quality a lot of the games have.
Just a quick short reply, so apologies for anything inexact, wrong term usage or misleading/confusing points. The main thing everyone notices about PS1 games is that when the camera moves the textures "swim" or move and that often the entire scene seems to judder and be on the verge of breaking up.

When Sony designed the PS1 it was before we had any real gaming industry 3D standards about how to display polygons, apply textures, etc. So Sony built the GTE to render lots of polygons really fast. Some of the shortcuts in things like where numbers are rounded or whatever resulted in this janky look. Some developers found ways to minimize the effects through careful texture usage or checking z-fighting or whatever. But others would basically just get the game up and running and not bother because it often wasn't worth the extra resources needed to do it. So it's usually in Sony second-party or big budget games.

Even in emulators you still see these problems, although a few have tried to fix them, because the basic problem is essentially in the math used originally and there's no way to recalcuate to get a more accurate number. IIRC one of the emulator plugins tried to fix the textures thing by having the modern GPU redraw the entire frame from scratch being sent the PS1 data. The modern GPU will go "woah, hey buddy, your polygons are messed up, lemme try and fix them first" but this can increase the emulation errors.

You can see the same kind of texture warping or polygon breakup in some early 3D PC games that predated the OpenGL/DirectX standards. Especially in their software modes. The Saturn doesn't "fix" this, and it can be seen in some games, but because it uses quads it changes how polygons meet which resolves a number of the more blatant issues. The N64 doesn't have really have these problems because it was more or less based on SGI's standards which wouldn't allow it.

The PS2 actually has some similar issues with its polygon setup but almost no games shipped with it not fixed or at least hidden. I do believe some of the Japanese launch window games can sometimes show it, along with the more infamous jaggies and shimmering that were actually related to this, since a lot of them had really really short dev cycles with no polish time before launch.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20240 on: September 02, 2018, 01:23:50 AM »

never played the remake, had no idea they screwed it up that bad  :-\

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #20241 on: September 02, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »

Not found till now
What

Beezy

« Reply #20242 on: September 02, 2018, 10:19:07 AM »
Welp, now I'm happy that I never got around to buying Majora's Mask 3DS.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #20243 on: September 02, 2018, 10:36:30 AM »
I've never actually played Majora's Mask but Ocarina of Time is def one of my fav games of all time.. Maybe I should play Majora?
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #20244 on: September 02, 2018, 10:43:59 AM »
The new graphics in Majoras 3D are great, but borderline-senile Miyamoto demanded more handholding and now too much else is fucked up. They turned the sidequests into a checklist, which is maybe not as bad as modern open world games, but it's still inferior to the OG and makes the NPCs feel less natural. Plus there's way more tutorials in general - I remember replaying the 64 version not too many years prior to the 3DS one and there's definitely more handholding in the beginning (i.e. outside of sidequests) too. Also they crippled the swimming controls with the water mask. Somehow Majora's Mask is the only game that got swimming controls right and they ruined it. The only thing that needed to be adressed was to make the fast forward mechanic more precise. Which they did, but then they didn't stop.

If this version becomes the one that gets ported/remastered forward....  :yuck :yuck :yuck  :kobeyuck  :mjcry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:48:24 AM by Spieler1 »

Beezy

« Reply #20245 on: September 02, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
I've never actually played Majora's Mask but Ocarina of Time is def one of my fav games of all time.. Maybe I should play Majora?
Yes you should. The original is amazing.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #20246 on: September 02, 2018, 01:13:31 PM »
I'd say Majora is my favorite of the 3D games once you get a grasp of the 'time limit'. Some of the dungeon design is insanely intricate, maybe the most challenging of all the 3D Zeldas. Too bad there are only 4 of em. The sidequests are pretty neat, with Anju and Kafei being one of the best in the whole series. It's great if you're into existentialism too.
^_^

benjipwns

« Reply #20247 on: September 02, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
video totally debunked in the comments:
There was a lot of valid complaints that I agree with as the original MM 64 is my favorite game of all time, but most of these complaints just came off as pointless bitching Lol.
honestly I felt this video was too critical and unfair to Majora 3D (ironic considering what you said at the end I know), especially when you nitpicked the Stock Pot Inn's visuals, criticizing the remake for not paying attention to small extra details, even though it decides to hide Nintendo products every fucking where as an added thing for players to get a kick out of. What bothers me is how you never stop to talk about legitimate things the remake gets right over the original
getting tired of your anti-Nintendo bigotry, filler

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20248 on: September 02, 2018, 05:41:23 PM »
 ::)

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20249 on: September 02, 2018, 06:40:30 PM »
i mean it sucks when a remake changes the little stuff that you loved about the original, you gotta keep it in perspective. it's frustrating when you want nothing more than some improved visuals and qol changes and they go and adjust a bunch of random shit but hey, you still have the original at least.

i haven't finished mm3d but from what i played the were a ton of changes for the better. better notebook, way better graphics, no more annoying save system (tho you can still wait til right before the end of the three days to save so i dunno what that guy was bitching about). i wouldn't worry about it replacing the original bc Nintendo does a good job of keeping their old versions of big games available.
pcp

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20250 on: September 03, 2018, 01:52:11 AM »

Marine Todd

« Reply #20251 on: September 03, 2018, 02:02:34 AM »
ada wrong

benjipwns

« Reply #20252 on: September 03, 2018, 02:09:20 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20253 on: September 03, 2018, 02:40:41 AM »
That's a good creepy horror movie smirk, imagine Tifa running after you trying to fist you  :whew

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #20254 on: September 03, 2018, 04:57:14 AM »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20255 on: September 03, 2018, 05:54:14 AM »
Red dress, red pantsuit, red skirtsuit as long as it's red and stylish   :stahp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #20256 on: September 03, 2018, 06:02:24 AM »
Heels, count on it. Maybe red heels, but heels for sure.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #20257 on: September 03, 2018, 12:43:07 PM »
do you think that yoshi gets embarrassed when he poos out eggs in front of mario??? sorry if this offends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of yoshi pooping an egg while he looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20258 on: September 03, 2018, 12:55:59 PM »
You think that bird thing from doki doki panic gets embarrassed when puking out eggs? :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #20259 on: September 03, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »
I honestly dislike the graphics in OOT3D and MM3D. They have this much cleaner, more colorful look that robs some of the atmosphere in the originals, especially Majora.

I don't mind a graphical update on paper, but I feel like they definitely could have done better in that regard. Just glad I have a working 64 and the cartridges.
With OOT they wanted to go with realism in the original. To the point that they had CG backgrounds of what looked like real buildings.
With modern Zelda games Nintendo has opted for a less realistic style as no one considers the N64 3D 'realistic' anymore.

With that said in Majora's Mask the dark and foggy graphics added a lot to the atmosphere of the game and it just doesn't feel right to see MM all colorful and bright.
Strangely enough Nintendo did the same thing with Hyrule Warriors when they moved it to Switch from Wii U. They replaced all the dark, cloudy skies with bright day skies. 
🤴

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #20260 on: September 03, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #20261 on: September 03, 2018, 09:37:07 PM »
I've rarely seen anything look more generic and boring

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #20262 on: September 04, 2018, 03:20:55 AM »
do you think that yoshi gets embarrassed when he poos out eggs in front of mario??? sorry if this offends anyone but i thought it was a funny thing haha. and i would like to know if any of you have any pics of yoshi pooping an egg while he looks nervous or embarrassed i just want to see it for a few laughs haha. another thing i am wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #20263 on: September 04, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
That post never gets old.

kingv

« Reply #20264 on: September 04, 2018, 11:27:25 AM »
Shinobi really went off his shit on that one ☝️  :doge

So anyone excited for spider Arkham?

I’m looking forward to it, but I’m expecting my feelings to closely mirror this review after reading a few.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/04/marvels-spider-man-review-does-whatever-a-ps4-can-7912963/

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20265 on: September 04, 2018, 12:32:21 PM »
didnt like the batman games, not going to waste time on this

Svejk

« Reply #20266 on: September 04, 2018, 04:26:09 PM »
Damn it...  Henry Cavill was just announced to play Geralt in the Witcher Netflix series.... 
Fuckin' series ruined already.   :yuck :yuck :yuck

Of course I'm going to watch it simply out of obligation.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #20267 on: September 05, 2018, 12:15:37 AM »

paprikastaude

« Reply #20268 on: September 06, 2018, 06:05:03 AM »

pretty cool, the improved graphics remind me of what Sonic Mania did.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 06:25:18 AM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #20269 on: September 07, 2018, 11:05:32 AM »
Bandai just registered Katamari Damacy Reroll.  Oh man!  I hope it's a remaster of all 3 for PS4!
And better not be some Switch port only bowlshit.
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #20270 on: September 08, 2018, 01:34:59 AM »

:whoo MORE THAN 15MB OF TEXTURES :whoo

benjipwns

« Reply #20271 on: September 08, 2018, 01:37:04 AM »
i had totally forgotten that games during the first waves of 3D cards did actually have all these silly "ULTRA/EXTREME/EPIC/ETC." settings like games have again today

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #20272 on: September 08, 2018, 02:57:32 AM »
Watched a bit of a Spiderman walkthrough on youtube. Damn, does this game look boring as shit.

I liked the Bioshock pipe puzzle I seen in the in between chapter. They seem even more braindead than those ones. Why are modern AAA so averse to providing challenge in their games?

paprikastaude

« Reply #20273 on: September 08, 2018, 03:43:22 AM »
icon ridden 'open world'  :nope

Also give a comic IP to a dev known for making high quality cartoon/colourful graphics, but make it look like some generic GTA ripoff, brehs.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #20274 on: September 08, 2018, 08:07:45 PM »
i had totally forgotten that games during the first waves of 3D cards did actually have all these silly "ULTRA/EXTREME/EPIC/ETC." settings like games have again today

My favorite is in UT2004, if you maxed out the graphical settings, the announcer would go "HOLY SHIT!" :lol
©@©™

« Reply #20275 on: September 09, 2018, 10:25:57 AM »
Does anyone here have experience ordering from Castlemania Games or other similar 'limited run games' type outfits? Preordered Holydiver and they started shipping out Aug 31 but I still haven't received any shipping notification. Thinking of emailing them for an order update, but don't want to be dick if the downtime is normal business model.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #20276 on: September 09, 2018, 11:14:49 AM »
9 days have passed; you clearly got robbed. my condolences bro
pcp

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #20277 on: September 09, 2018, 02:52:16 PM »
Does anyone here have experience ordering from Castlemania Games or other similar 'limited run games' type outfits? Preordered Holydiver and they started shipping out Aug 31 but I still haven't received any shipping notification. Thinking of emailing them for an order update, but don't want to be dick if the downtime is normal business model.

You've paid them to receive something. Asking for an update is not being a dickhead.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #20278 on: September 09, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »

« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 08:02:20 PM by D3RANG3D »

« Reply #20279 on: September 09, 2018, 08:05:12 PM »

Absolutely amazing.