Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1507029 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #20880 on: October 24, 2018, 03:49:37 AM »
wtf Boban played less than a minute? FIRE DOC RIVERS

benjipwns

« Reply #20881 on: October 25, 2018, 03:30:49 AM »
Basketball Reasons were because Dell Demps is a lousy GM:
Stern, speaking in an in-depth interview with Sports Illustrated, said he didn't do a good job of explaining his reasoning for the trade veto at the time.

"There was a trade that Dell Demps wanted us to approve, and I said heck no, but he had told Daryl Morey and Mitch Kupchak he had authority to do it and he didn't," Stern said of the Houston Rockets' general manager and the former Los Angeles Lakers GM. "I said no. We just settled a lockout and you want me to approve a basketball trade?"

Despite a wave of heavy reaction, Stern did not waver in his decision.

"[Demps] had agreed to [trade Paul to the Lakers for] Kevin Martin and Luis Scola or something, and I said we can do better than that," Stern said, "... And the next trade was [to the LA Clippers for] Eric Gordon and Al-Farouq Aminu and what we thought was a really great draft pick, the 10th pick, which turned out to be Austin Rivers. At least those three and someone else [center Chris Kaman].

"But Dell Demps is a lousy general manager and none of those players are currently with the team anymore, and he may lose Anthony Davis," Stern said.

"I did it because I was protecting the then-Hornets," Stern said of the 2011 veto. "... To this day, everyone always asks me, 'Well why did you keep Chris Paul from going to the Lakers?' I didn't keep him. I didn't approve the trade. No team sells or trades a future Hall of Famer without the owner signing off, and I was the owner's rep.

"But I wasn't going to hand up Dell Demps."

benjipwns

« Reply #20882 on: October 25, 2018, 11:03:36 AM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20883 on: October 25, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »
https://m.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20884 on: October 25, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »
RE: Stern I don't think he's wrong, although I remember people around here feeling for CP when it got denied.

Also thinking we lose AD next year unless he can somehow find a way to beat the dubs himself.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20885 on: October 25, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
The lakers are a fun mess to watch this year
püp

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20886 on: October 25, 2018, 02:17:59 PM »
Efficiency was probably wack compared to Steph's though.
tbf, everyone’s is

benjipwns

« Reply #20887 on: October 26, 2018, 02:47:43 AM »
The Houston Rockets are making a renewed bid to acquire Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star Jimmy Butler, including four future first-round draft picks in their most recent offer, league sources told ESPN.
All-In Always Morey :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #20888 on: October 27, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »

lmao jokic is unfair

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20889 on: October 28, 2018, 12:56:44 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25106070/cavaliers-fire-coach-tyronn-lue-0-6-start

Can't say I was much of a Lue fan but honestly that team was a dumpster of garbage no matter who was going to coach it.

benjipwns

« Reply #20890 on: October 28, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »
I think it might have been an actual mutual kind of thing, as in more so than teams normally say, he was obviously there to coach with LeBron but they didn't want to dismiss him as soon as LeBron left. Starting 0-6 instead of like 2-4 or 4-2 was a great chance to get this out of the way early. Sounded like they're just going ahead and paying him the last years left on his deal rather than negotiating anything.

Now he can pop up somewhere later this season or for next rather than hanging around losing. Like Minnesota when Thibs finally has his stroke.

benjipwns

« Reply #20891 on: October 31, 2018, 01:59:00 AM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20892 on: October 31, 2018, 02:54:48 AM »
Guys Hield might actually be good

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20893 on: October 31, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20894 on: October 31, 2018, 11:50:58 PM »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20895 on: November 01, 2018, 12:16:30 AM »
DROSE DROSE DROSE

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20896 on: November 04, 2018, 09:05:23 AM »

agrajag

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20898 on: November 04, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20899 on: November 05, 2018, 11:26:58 PM »
Isaiah is the most old guy yells at cloud analyst on tv right now. NBAtv has him on for 5 minutes during warriors grizzlies and he spends all of it bitching about how coaches “don’t teach defense anymore” which is why everyone’s averaging 130 a game

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20900 on: November 05, 2018, 11:42:45 PM »
Sure, but isaiah’s been at this for years now. It reminds me of that moment in the 2012 general election when mitt was like “if we’re so strong, then why don’t we have a billion more aircraft carriers?” and then Obama goes, “because the nature of military engagement has changed since the Cold War, dumbass.” It’s not a substantive critique because there are never any specifics that get pulled up, it’s an appeal to a hard nosed, dadgummit ethical stance over against those in power, presumably because those people are pussies but really because they just happen to occupy the position that you feel you deserve/could run better.

But what I really wanna talk about is how my fears from last year that players only would turn into a boring conventional play by play show have borne fruit. Greg Anthony refuses to shut the fuck up and they’re calling every single play like every other ham and egg crew would, as if that’s what anyone cares to listen to

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20901 on: November 07, 2018, 10:28:42 AM »
https://deadspin.com/after-all-that-nonsense-lamelo-ball-is-going-back-to-h-1830261464

It’s been quite a stretch for LaMelo, and middle Ball brother LiAngelo, since their dad apparently took the Lakers’ selection of Lonzo with the second overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft as certification of all his worst, most reckless impulses toward megalomaniacal sports-dad flailing. From being yanked out of their respective schools—Chino Hills High for LaMelo, UCLA for LiAngelo—to go play on a shitty Lithuanian pro team, to generally sucking ass on that shitty Lithuanian team (LaMelo couldn’t even get steady playing time there), to their dad yanking their shitty Lithuanian team out of its league to participate in exhibitions for his shitty, dumb, TJ Maxx–ass shoe brand, to their dad abruptly yanking them off the shitty Lithuanian team, to their dad attempting to press them into service for his deeply half-assed and predictably deadbeat barnstorming semipro boys’ league, they are having an extremely normal one.

:neogaf :sabu :mueller
©ZH

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #20902 on: November 07, 2018, 12:50:53 PM »
Cavs on that 1-81 tank for Zion.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #20903 on: November 07, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
Zach Lowe drives over and backs the truck up over the body of John Wall and the 85% of the cap to three players Wizards: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25187751/zach-lowe-john-wall-bradley-beal-washington-wizards-nba

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20904 on: November 07, 2018, 02:35:39 PM »
Zach Lowe drives over and backs the truck up over the body of John Wall and the 85% of the cap to three players Wizards: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25187751/zach-lowe-john-wall-bradley-beal-washington-wizards-nba

I agree with him. Wall will never win shit. Ever.
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #20905 on: November 07, 2018, 08:44:00 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20906 on: November 08, 2018, 10:39:00 AM »
two weeks in and I was sure the mvp sweepstakes was a four man race between kawhi, ad, giannis and jokic, but now we’re three weeks in and the raptors have shown that they don’t need their best player to be the second best team in the league, ad as hasn’t looked superhuman(consistently) and has been in and out of the lineup, it’s pretty clear that Denver isn’t gonna use jokic in enough volume (and he’s also way too passive; had literally one fga last night), so that pretty much leaves giannis as the one guy who puts up numbers and whose team is good and whose team needs him. But the mvp is equally a media cycle award, and idk if he generates that much jazz. Other guys that look like they got an outside shot are dame, Embiid, and kemba.

Westbrook and harden already had their turns, and both their teams blow right now. Curry and Durant can’t win it just on principle (I also don’t think their numbers are gonna stay this inflated, esp. curry). Lebrons punting this year. So someone new’s gonna get it.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20907 on: November 08, 2018, 11:20:38 AM »
Best story in the NBA right now is the D Rose redemption arch. Good for the NBA.

But here's a truthfact, I know that cat, and he's a fucking deviant asshole. Total fucking asshole.
YMMV

BisMarckie

« Reply #20908 on: November 08, 2018, 11:23:46 AM »
Best story in the NBA right now is the D Rose redemption arch. Good for the NBA.

But here's a truthfact, I know that cat, and he's a fucking deviant asshole. Total fucking asshole.

Everything I have heard about him is that he was a nice kid when he was drafted, but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and his brother is constantly manipulating him. :yeshrug

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20909 on: November 08, 2018, 11:26:23 AM »

Everything I have heard about him is that he was a nice kid when he was drafted, but he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and his brother is constantly manipulating him. :yeshrug

Never met his brother and maybe ive seen him during a few bad days, but my take is solid, he's a cunt.
YMMV

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20910 on: November 08, 2018, 12:05:57 PM »
I didn't know JaMarcus Russel posted here.

Got any lean breh? Asking for a friend :-)
YMMV

benjipwns

« Reply #20911 on: November 08, 2018, 08:20:18 PM »
i wish he'd go back to posting the elaborately designed custom image macros for his goofy opinions instead of just video clips

https://twitter.com/stephenasmith/status/1060672760576393216

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20912 on: November 09, 2018, 09:38:02 AM »
Maybe I am a sucker, but I love city edition day.  :rejoice

benjipwns

« Reply #20913 on: November 10, 2018, 11:25:56 AM »
now that they've done it a few years they should start at least letting teams keep ones they like rather than having to do new ones

you can tell the teams that were like "nah, we're alright with what we've got" like the kings just replaced a logo with text, and the Pistons just putting a stupid looking road stripe down the middle of their jersey

THE LAND ones were way better than the Cavs trying to remind people of the Fratello-Shawn Kemp days

benjipwns

« Reply #20914 on: November 10, 2018, 11:28:02 AM »
then again, i could get behind them requiring a jersey that uses the teams worst design in franchise history, and mashes them up if there's multiple ones

would totally look forward to a Hawks/Pistons game

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i already try to pick the worst possible jersey available in 2K when i play my one friend online because he hates it enough to complain about it every time :doge
[close]

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20915 on: November 10, 2018, 12:58:30 PM »
Butler to the 76ers.

benjipwns

« Reply #20916 on: November 10, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
Zach Lowe
@ZachLowe_NBA

Deal includes both Robert Covington and Dario Saric, sources tell ESPN

benjipwns

« Reply #20917 on: November 10, 2018, 01:21:56 PM »
Full deal:
The Timberwolves will receive a package that includes Robert Covington, Dario Saric, Jerryd Bayless and a second-round pick, sources said, and Minnesota will also send Justin Patton to Philadelphia.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20918 on: November 10, 2018, 01:29:49 PM »
Saric has been terrible this season. Covington isn’t that great either. Has jimmy voiced what he’s planning on doing in the free agency market next offseason? Wonder if the sixers’ll be able to keep him

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20919 on: November 10, 2018, 01:31:54 PM »
Also, this team now has an even bigger shooting problem. Embiid’ll be dragged further out the paint

benjipwns

« Reply #20920 on: November 10, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
Multiple NBA people on Twitter indicating the rumor is his camp probably did some suggesting that he'll take their supermax offer or Sixers might not have traded.

benjipwns

« Reply #20921 on: November 10, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
Clips probably not as excited about their decent start now considering both their main targets new situations.

Especially since Boban can go to them for the super-team-up.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20922 on: November 10, 2018, 03:25:03 PM »
now that they've done it a few years they should start at least letting teams keep ones they like rather than having to do new ones

you can tell the teams that were like "nah, we're alright with what we've got" like the kings just replaced a logo with text, and the Pistons just putting a stupid looking road stripe down the middle of their jersey

It's kinda already happening, but I think we'll start to see more recycling for things that prove popular, similar to colorways sneaker market. Editions are cool but are a blatant cash grab...they can likely make even more not keeping popular designs around for too long in order to cycle designs around and bank when they bring them back every few years.

agrajag

« Reply #20923 on: November 10, 2018, 04:50:39 PM »
Fuck the Sixers, fuck Timberwolves and fuck Thib.  :maf  :sheik

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20924 on: November 10, 2018, 06:16:02 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20925 on: November 10, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »
Cavs starting lineup tonight (due to injuries)

Thompson
Nance
Hood
Jr Smith
Sexton

:lawd

El Babua

« Reply #20926 on: November 10, 2018, 11:09:00 PM »
If the Heat keep playing like this, just trade Dragic and Whiteside around the ASB, tank, and just let Wade run the offense till the end of the season.

Am_I_Anonymous

« Reply #20927 on: November 11, 2018, 07:06:36 AM »
If The Sixers know whats good for them they'll have Butler onball guard Fultz every time he crosses half court......
YMMV

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20928 on: November 11, 2018, 09:55:30 AM »
If the Heat keep playing like this, just trade Dragic and Whiteside around the ASB, tank, and just let Wade run the offense till the end of the season.

Whiteside would be the perfect New York Knick.

benjipwns

« Reply #20929 on: November 11, 2018, 11:28:03 PM »
Tim MacMahon
@espn_macmahon

Sources: Rockets players and coaches believe that Carmelo Anthony has played his final game for the franchise.
8:14 PM - 11 Nov 2018

benjipwns

« Reply #20930 on: November 11, 2018, 11:31:52 PM »
lmao Brook Lopez 8/13 from three, and a bunch of them were from like five feet past the line

benjipwns

« Reply #20931 on: November 11, 2018, 11:35:23 PM »
Thibodeau sold Taylor on passing on a strong Miami trade package, because he was sure Pat Riley would come back with a better offer, and the league would chase in a bidding frenzy for Butler.

Taylor kept doubling down, and when he hung up the phone with Philadelphia owner Josh Harris on Saturday morning, Minnesota had lost everything -- the four-time All-Star in his prime, the trade standoff, and ultimately, the trust to stay with Thibodeau and GM Scott Layden beyond this season.

Even at the expense of sullying his professional standing, Butler played them all in Minnesota -- and shamed the Timberwolves into trading him to a big market contender. The Timberwolves couldn't find a team to bail them out of this debacle, and Thibodeau couldn't sell Taylor on one more basketball game with Butler in a Timberwolves uniform.

Eventually, Thibodeau had lost hope that he could convince Butler to stay for the long term, but his ego still believed he could coach these Timberwolves into playoff contention before the February trade deadline. He underestimated this saga's impact on the rest of the team, especially his young max-contract players, as they watched Thibodeau excuse behavior and beg Butler to play games.

Minnesota desperately tried to cobble together trade offers in the past week, including extensive discussions with New Orleans, league sources said. The Pelicans are limited on tradeable assets, but desperate to find star power to keep Anthony Davis for the long run. The Pelicans wouldn't include point guard Jrue Holiday in its offer, nor multiple draft picks, league sources said.

Minnesota passed on a Miami deal weeks ago that would've included guard Josh Richardson, and the Heat never returned him into talks, sources said. Washington wouldn't offer guard Bradley Beal, sources said.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20932 on: November 11, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20933 on: November 11, 2018, 11:42:33 PM »
lmao Brook Lopez 8/13 from three, and a bunch of them were from like five feet past the line
he’s shooting ~42% this year on like 7 a game. He’s legit one of the leagues best three point shooters

benjipwns

« Reply #20934 on: November 11, 2018, 11:45:01 PM »
best part is that he's brought back the set shot: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25251500

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20935 on: November 12, 2018, 01:19:40 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20936 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:13 AM »
was hoping Hawks got that one, they really interest me as a team, plus it's fun to see them starting to put their games together since they're so young, then at times it'll happen to the lineup on the floor and it'll catch decent teams resting

against the Pistons they had a Spellman-Prince-Bazermore-Young lineup plus someone I forget, and for like two minutes all the young guys plus Bazemore just started hounding guys who weren't expecting it (and aren't the best ball control fellers like Stanley Johnson or Reggie Bullock) and it'd be a steal and they'd toss it ahead and it was just threes and dunks...then they went back to bricking everything, running into each other on offense and turning it over while fouling because everyone's out of position on D but it was fun, and that was a night when Linsanity showed back up which happens randomly...

plus you've got the coaches rolling out random lineups to test things out which is fun, i've always been baffled at how often bad teams that know they're going to be bad don't do this more...i was glad to see the Knicks do this last year after Kristaps got hurt, actually they did a bit of it the year before which led to the infamous Ron Baker contract, but it went a lot better last season i thought, especially in helping build up the Pacers bench

benjipwns

« Reply #20937 on: November 12, 2018, 02:01:48 AM »
like why is Trevor Ariza leading the Phoenix Suns in minutes for example

benjipwns

« Reply #20938 on: November 12, 2018, 12:15:17 PM »

agrajag

« Reply #20939 on: November 12, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »