Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1507062 times)

agrajag

Re: The NBA thread (July 1 : Free Agency begins)
« Reply #20761 on: July 08, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
he look more like greg oden in that mural

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20762 on: July 09, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
I assume he'll match this:
lol what a dummy

The San Antonio Spurs have decided to decline matching Kyle Anderson's four-year, $37 million offer sheet with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. Anderson is likely to become the Grizzlies' starting small forward.

Free-agent center Zaza Pachulia has agreed to a one-year, $2.4 million contract with the Detroit Pistons
Free-agent center Brook Lopez has agreed to a one-year, $3.4 million deal with the Milwaukee Bucks

benjipwns

« Reply #20763 on: July 09, 2018, 10:08:22 AM »
At even odds, are you taking a healthy Warriors team or the 2019 East All-Stars in a seven-game series?

Begley: Warriors. Let's assume that neither Jimmy Butler nor Kawhi Leonard are dealt to an Eastern Conference team, and that Kyrie Irving is healthy. Given those parameters, I'd still have to take the Warriors here because of the way they can space the floor with dead-eye shooters. Also, an important factor that makes this hypothetical tough to answer: chemistry. Unless the core of this East All-Star team had spent the past three seasons playing more than 300 total games together, there's no way they operate with the level of on-court rhythm the Warriors have established.

Forsberg: East All-Stars. Sure, the Warriors have the potential to trot out five All-Stars, but, even in a star-depleted East, the ability to go 13 deep with impact talent would give the East an edge during a seven-game series, but the Warriors would win three games.

Herring: East All-Stars. I don't even know that I have a valid reason for this pick, but it makes me feel better about the state of the league to at least imagine that one conference's All-Stars would be superior to an actual team's starting five. What a world.

MacMullan: Hey now, I love the Warriors as much as anyone, but let's get real. Give me a roster of Joel Embiid, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kyrie Irving, Victor Oladipo, Jayson Tatum, DeMar DeRozan, Ben Simmons, John Wall, Jaylen Brown, Blake Griffin, Al Horford, Kevin Love, Bradley Beal, Kemba Walker and Kyle Lowry and I'll take my chances.

Pelton: East All-Stars. While the Warriors would probably have the best two players in such a series, the difference in starting fives isn't dramatic, and the East would have an enormous depth edge with the likes of Bradley Beal and Kyle Lowry coming off the bench.

agrajag

« Reply #20764 on: July 09, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »
Who's the East's coach?

benjipwns

« Reply #20765 on: July 09, 2018, 08:27:04 PM »
NOLA ANXIETY WATCH: https://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/07/alvin_gentry_demarcus_cousins.html
When speaking to reporters at the Las Vegas Summer League Monday (July 9), Alvin Gentry acknowledged that Anthony Davis played a pivotal role in bringing Julius Randle to the New Orleans Pelicans.

But the Pelicans coach also wanted to dispel a rumor he heard about All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins leaving New Orleans and shockingly signing with the Golden State Warriors:

"Someone said A.D. didn't want DeMarcus back, and that couldn't be further from the truth," Gentry said. "I don't know where that came about, but it couldn't be further from the truth."
Despite Cousins' claims that the Pelicans didn't want him back, Gentry said the team doesn't have any hard feelings about his decision and they "wish him nothing but the best" with the Warriors.

"He was great for us. Everyone forgets that we won eight out of 10 games before he went down," Gentry said of Cousins. "With free agency, there are so many things that are involved in it. ... I think he was good for us, put up big numbers for us, created a ton of mismatches for our situation.

"I know he'll do well. He's in a great organization now. He's just got to get himself healthy."
"I think A.D. is becoming the leader of this team," Gentry said. "I think he stepped up big time last year from a leadership standpoint, and I think he'll just continue to get better. I'm not worried about that part of it."

benjipwns

« Reply #20766 on: July 09, 2018, 10:40:56 PM »
Free-agent forward Luc Mbah a Moute has agreed to a one-year, $4.3 million deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources told ESPN.

The Clippers are paying Mbah a Moute the balance of their midlevel exception, bringing him back to the franchise after a season away with the Houston Rockets.

The Rockets have lost Mbah a Moute, 31, and Trevor Ariza, and plan to ramp up a pursuit of Carmelo Anthony once he becomes available after a trade and buyout, or waive and stretch, with Oklahoma City, league sources told ESPN.

Nola

« Reply #20767 on: July 10, 2018, 08:06:00 AM »
NOLA ANXIETY WATCH: https://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/07/alvin_gentry_demarcus_cousins.html
When speaking to reporters at the Las Vegas Summer League Monday (July 9), Alvin Gentry acknowledged that Anthony Davis played a pivotal role in bringing Julius Randle to the New Orleans Pelicans.

But the Pelicans coach also wanted to dispel a rumor he heard about All-Star center DeMarcus Cousins leaving New Orleans and shockingly signing with the Golden State Warriors:

"Someone said A.D. didn't want DeMarcus back, and that couldn't be further from the truth," Gentry said. "I don't know where that came about, but it couldn't be further from the truth."
Despite Cousins' claims that the Pelicans didn't want him back, Gentry said the team doesn't have any hard feelings about his decision and they "wish him nothing but the best" with the Warriors.

"He was great for us. Everyone forgets that we won eight out of 10 games before he went down," Gentry said of Cousins. "With free agency, there are so many things that are involved in it. ... I think he was good for us, put up big numbers for us, created a ton of mismatches for our situation.

"I know he'll do well. He's in a great organization now. He's just got to get himself healthy."
"I think A.D. is becoming the leader of this team," Gentry said. "I think he stepped up big time last year from a leadership standpoint, and I think he'll just continue to get better. I'm not worried about that part of it."

Yeah in a couple of interviews now Gentry seems to have thrown some passive aggressive shade at Demps. It seems clear he is disappointed DeMarcus wasn’t resigned and he wasn’t really consulted on it. Which is a running theme with Demps.

Still think Rondo is going to hurt the worst.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20768 on: July 10, 2018, 11:18:11 AM »
I understood letting Trevor Ariza go. If Phoenix is gonna overpay him like that, there isn't much you can do but letting Luc Mbah A Moute go for that makes less sense.

benjipwns

« Reply #20769 on: July 10, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »
they seem to be under the impression that Melo will play defense like those two did in their super-switchy scheme instead of just staying home on his man and yelling at other dudes to make it work

bluemax

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #20770 on: July 12, 2018, 03:07:39 AM »
Why would any team trying to win sign Carmelo Anthony in the year of our lord 2018? He doesn't play defense and he can't shoot from deep, and he doesn't rebound. I don't get it.

Also that LeBron billboard is like 4 miles from me, should've gone and saw it! If they wanted to get rid of it easiest way would be have someone put a gang tag on it, then you call the city and report the tag and the whole thing is gone before the end of the day.

Zach Lowe's NBA Off season winners and losers column posits the K N I C K S making a run at Durant next off season. I guess if a team as inept as the Lakers can use their mystique and name brand to lure Lebron, it could work for the Knicks, maybe.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #20771 on: July 13, 2018, 04:07:32 AM »
Free-agent guard Isaiah Thomas has agreed to a one-year, $2 million deal with the Denver Nuggets, league sources told ESPN.

If anybody here has anything they need to get rid of, the Nets are apparently taking whatever:

The Atlanta Hawks acquired Brooklyn Nets guard Jeremy Lin in a trade on Thursday night, league sources told ESPN.

Atlanta sends Brooklyn a 2020 second-round pick via Portland and the rights to Isaia Cordinier, league sources said. Cordinier is a 2016 second-round pick who has remained overseas.

The Nets will send the Hawks a 2025 second-round pick and the right to swap picks with the Nets in 2023, league sources said.

The Denver Nuggets agreed to trade forwards Kenneth Faried and Darrell Arthur, a 2019 protected first-round pick and a 2020 second-round pick to the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told ESPN.

The Nuggets acquire guard Isaiah Whitehead in the trade, whom they'll waive, league sources said.

bluemax

« Reply #20772 on: July 13, 2018, 04:20:01 AM »
I’m so pissed about that mural. I live right off Venice Blvd and would have loved to go see it. By the time I even found out about it, it was gone.

This means we likely live within ~5 miles of each other.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #20773 on: July 14, 2018, 05:11:00 PM »
The Chicago Bulls have signed free-agent forward Jabari Parker, the team announced Saturday.

It's a two-year, $40 million deal, league sources told ESPN.

The agreement was consummated Saturday, moments after Milwaukee Bucks general manager Jon Horst removed the qualifying offer on the restricted free agent and allowed him to become unrestricted.

The Bucks weren't going to match a Bulls offer sheet, and the deal -- brokered with Parker's agent Mark Bartelstein -- allowed a good-faith gesture for Parker to sign a shorter deal with the Bulls.

"We really love Jabari and wanted to work with him on this, because we weren't going to match an offer sheet," Horst told ESPN.

Minnesota Timberwolves All-Star Jimmy Butler has turned down a four-year extension worth $100 million, a league source confirmed to ESPN.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20774 on: July 16, 2018, 01:51:20 PM »
Unfortunately, its easy to envision Isiah out of the league in a few years. I'm surprised he didn't consider overseas this go around.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20775 on: July 16, 2018, 03:32:19 PM »

Denzel and he got game talk.

I love that movie.

agrajag

« Reply #20776 on: July 16, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
Is this IT's fourth team in three seasons? Poor guy.

bluemax

« Reply #20777 on: July 16, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #20778 on: July 17, 2018, 06:50:12 PM »
The Sacramento Kings have traded guard Garrett Temple to the Memphis Grizzlies for guard Ben McLemore, forward Deyonta Davis, a 2021 second-round draft pick and cash.

Nemanja Bjelica, who had agreed to a one-year deal with the Philadelphia 76ers, informed the team Tuesday that he will stay in Europe this season, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20779 on: July 18, 2018, 06:15:47 AM »
The Toronto Raptors are finalizing a deal to acquire San Antonio Spurs star Kawhi Leonard in a trade package that includes All-Star DeMar DeRozan, league sources told ESPN.

An agreement in principle could be reached as soon as Wednesday, league sources said.

Leonard and DeRozan are both aware that an agreement could be imminent, and neither is expressing enthusiasm for the deal, league sources said.

Toronto and San Antonio have been talking about the trade for two weeks, and several incarnations of packages have been discussed, league sources said.

Sources close to DeRozan told ESPN's Chris Haynes that DeRozan met with Toronto brass in Las Vegas during summer league and was told he would not be traded.

Raptors president of basketball operations Masai Ujiri is taking a significant risk in pursuing the trade. Ujiri will make the deal with a determination that he can sell Leonard on re-signing with the Raptors next summer in free agency, sources said. Toronto would be able to offer Leonard a five-year, $190 million contract next summer. If Leonard left the Raptors, he could sign a four-year, $141 million deal with a team with the available salary-cap space.

Leonard has been clear that he plans to sign with the Los Angeles Lakers in free agency next summer.

DeRozan has three years and $83 million left on his contract, including an Early Termination Option for the 2020-21 season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24126943/san-antonio-spurs-toronto-raptors-finalizing-deal-involving-kawhi-leonard-demar-derozan

Stoney Mason

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20781 on: July 18, 2018, 08:52:47 AM »
Pretty smart move by Toronto. Gives them a year to attempt to convince Kawhi to stay there. About the only way they will ever attract a good free agent.

benjipwns

« Reply #20782 on: July 18, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »
They gave you $150 million bro, and you've been there what eight, nine seasons? :lol

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20783 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:22 AM »
Call him ungrateful benji.

Do it.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20784 on: July 18, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »
I don't think I'm high on the trade, but tbh they probably had hit their ceiling over the last few years and they know it, so why not spice it up? 

Nola

« Reply #20785 on: July 18, 2018, 12:03:18 PM »
Hearing that neither side is particularly happy with this trade. Understandable and I'm sure Derozan will be ok eventually, Kawhi I'm not so sure.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20786 on: July 18, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
For the Spurs I get it. I would have probably wanted to nab a younger player than Demar but outside of that, Demar was probably the best player they were gonna land. And he's right in the middle of his prime.

I think its a bit weird for the Raptors. I don't like it as one year rental, and for the long term with how unpredictable Kawhi has become it's a gamble I wouldn't make myself.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20787 on: July 18, 2018, 12:48:49 PM »
Also another example of why player loyalty to a franchise is a silly fan driven narrative. You are basically trading a guy who embraced that franchise for a guy who publicly at least, wants nothing to do with that franchise. It's a business so shit happens, but its also why I always laugh at these jilted fanbases that forever harbor a grudge when their star wants to leave. Get over it.

benjipwns

Re: The NBA thread (Kawhi for Derozan)
« Reply #20788 on: July 18, 2018, 01:15:23 PM »
Call him ungrateful benji.

Do it.
DeMar Derozan is not the hill to die on for making this point Mandark, not with those career advanced stats. :bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #20789 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:17 PM »
Kawhi found the way to force the Spurs hand by announcing he was going to play for the US.

I have to imagine the Spurs partly picked this deal to spite the Lakers. Or at least I hope so.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20790 on: July 18, 2018, 05:53:17 PM »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20791 on: July 18, 2018, 07:49:43 PM »
DeMar Derozan is not the hill to die on for making this point Mandark, not with those career advanced stats. :bolo

How many divisions win shares does the Pope MLSE have?

benjipwns

« Reply #20792 on: July 19, 2018, 01:01:37 PM »
Raptors also picked up Danny Green in the deal:
Raptors get: Forward Kawhi Leonard and guard Danny Green

Spurs get: Guard DeMar DeRozan, center Jakob Poeltl and a protected 2019 first-round pick
Pick is Top 20 protected.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #20793 on: July 19, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
As a Torontonian, DeMar DeRozan reminds me of Joe Carter* (minus the rings)--nice counting stats that inflate a mediocre impact. When I tell fellow Torontonians that Joe Carter was never that good, they look at me like I'm wearing a MAGA hat.

DeMar's PER has topped 21.5 once in nine years,** and his playoff PER has never been above 18.2. DeMar has a negative ratings according to ESPN's Defensive Real Plus-Minus: he had the 429th worst on-court impact on team defensive performance in 2017 and the 467th worst in 2018. (A 39-year-old Dirk Nowitzki and a 41-year-old Vince Carter had positive ratings last year.)

*8.6 bWAR as a Jay over 7 seasons, but six 100-RBI seasons.
**Carter did it six times, four times as a Raptor.

Nola

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20796 on: July 19, 2018, 05:38:11 PM »
Pretty good trade for OKC. I actually like Schroder.

benjipwns

« Reply #20797 on: July 20, 2018, 02:42:01 AM »
Schroder trade has expanded into three way:
The Thunder will then send Muscala to the 76ers for forward Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot, and Philadelphia will send guard Justin Anderson to Atlanta, league sources said.

benjipwns

« Reply #20798 on: July 20, 2018, 02:43:14 AM »
On top of that, Atlanta adds a first-round pick during what ESPN's Jonathan Givony indicated last week teams are hearing could be the first year where high schoolers are eligible for the draft. That would potentially produce a so-called "double draft" in 2022 with both the one-and-done prospects from the 2021 recruiting class and 2022 high school seniors eligible.
:thinking

benjipwns

« Reply #20799 on: July 20, 2018, 02:50:28 AM »

Nola

« Reply #20800 on: July 20, 2018, 03:26:25 AM »
Pretty good trade for OKC. I actually like Schroder.

The more I looked in to him when it was rumored the Pels were interested, the less I liked of him. Though I was looking at him from the standpoint as a 30+ minute starter.

Though I think in the right system and as a 6th man he makes a lot more sense. Which is what I assume he will be for OKC.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20801 on: July 20, 2018, 05:42:52 PM »
Michael Beasley to the Lakers!

benjipwns

« Reply #20802 on: July 20, 2018, 11:00:32 PM »
Kings getting dudes to back out and sign with them instead:
Yogi Ferrell has agreed to a two-year, $6.2 million deal with the Sacramento Kings, according to a Yahoo Sports report.

Earlier Friday, Ferrell backed out of his agreement with the Dallas Mavericks on a two-year, $5.3 million deal that the two sides had agreed to Thursday.

The Sacramento Kings and forward Nemanja Bjelica have agreed to a three-year deal (first reported by Yahoo Sports). Bjelica spent the previous three seasons with the Minnesota Timberwolves, and had agreed to a deal with the Philadelphia 76ers this offseason before backing out this week

Some minor deals:
The Brooklyn Nets acquired Jared Dudley and a 2021 second-round draft pick from the Phoenix Suns for forward Darrell Arthur on Friday.

Arthur will be waived after his $7.4 million contract is bought out

In another trade on Friday, the Suns sent $1 million to the Philadelphia 76ers to acquire center Richaun Holmes.

The Memphis Grizzlies and free-agent guard Shelvin Mack are progressing in talks on a one-year deal, league sources told ESPN.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #20803 on: July 20, 2018, 11:41:46 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
I think Anthony's aging curve is pretty typical.

Anthony is just six months older than James. Making James' aging curve that more impressive.

benjipwns

« Reply #20804 on: July 21, 2018, 11:24:36 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20805 on: July 21, 2018, 11:56:06 PM »
At this point, I don't even know why this is a story. Unless your mural is basically inside a museum at night, there is gonna be somebody defacing it.

benjipwns

« Reply #20806 on: July 23, 2018, 01:29:17 AM »
Free-agent center Alex Len has agreed to a two-year, $8.5 million contract with the Atlanta Hawks, a source confirmed to ESPN.

kinda liking the Hawks...for the shitty team I'll do franchise mode with in 2K19

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20807 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24169163/nba-conversation-isaiah-thomas

Interesting read. I still have a good bit of sympathy for thomas despite how he can be his own worst enemy sometimes.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20808 on: July 23, 2018, 09:45:07 PM »
I have to imagine the Spurs partly picked this deal to spite the Lakers. Or at least I hope so.
wouldnt the real method to spite them have been to force them to give up 2 or 3 of their young guys/picks instead of setting it up so that he signs there next offseason while they retain everyone they’ve drafted?

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
◕‿◕

agrajag

« Reply #20810 on: July 23, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
they'll get over it once LeBron starts putting in the work in LA

benjipwns

« Reply #20811 on: July 23, 2018, 11:27:02 PM »
wouldnt the real method to spite them have been to force them to give up 2 or 3 of their young guys/picks instead of setting it up so that he signs there next offseason while they retain everyone they’ve drafted?
That was the problem, the Lakers didn't have to trade. If Kawhi didn't want to be with the Spurs anymore, with the Lakers as his preferred destination, then the Lakers controlled what the Spurs were receiving back. Spurs didn't want Ball, they were never getting Ingram.

In this instance there's the small chance the Raptors can sell Kawhi on taking the higher raise and longer contract to stay, maybe they make a Finals run, maybe he winds up liking the team/city/etc. Raptors can offer him ~$40 million more than the Lakers. If the Spurs had sent him straight to the Lakers he only lost ~$30 million off the supermax.

Raptors also have the ability to deal Kawhi again, and might be more willing than the Spurs (who wanted a player for now back) to deal with the one team the Lakers don't want anyone dealing with, the Clippers. Especially if it becomes part of the Raptors ending this era and shifting to a rebuild, the Clips have favorable contracts and can maybe take in Ibaka or Lowry too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 11:45:12 PM by benjipwns »

bluemax

« Reply #20812 on: July 23, 2018, 11:34:35 PM »
The way I understand it, is the Clippers are essentially set up to be able to offer one Max next summer and could possibly offer 2 if they dump Danilo Galinari (or don't extend Tobias Harris).

So essentially this year for them is about developing their two new guards, maintaining respectability and then clearing people out so they can make a run at Kawhi next summer.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #20813 on: July 23, 2018, 11:43:28 PM »
The team Kawhi's on can offer him ~$190 million over five years*. The Lakers (or any other team) can offer him a max of ~$150 million over four years. This is the main reason they don't want him landing on the Clippers, as it'd be tough to give up $40 million just to change locker rooms in Staples. The rumor has always been that he'd prefer the Lakers, but LA in general is the main destination and the Lakers wouldn't want to risk it.

If Donald Sterling still owned the Clippers this would probably be different, but Ballmer has no real issues with paying and even overpaying to be good similar to fellow Microsoft alum Paul Allen.

*The Spurs could have resigned Kawhi for ~$225 million over five years, but only they could have done this, it's not on the table from any team now that he's been traded I don't believe.

benjipwns

« Reply #20814 on: July 24, 2018, 11:05:38 PM »
heh, and after all that "he might bail to LA!" when they got him
Forward Kevin Love was "very excited and obviously humbled" after signing a long-term extension with the Cleveland Cavaliers on Tuesday. Terms were not announced, but league sources told ESPN that the four-year, $120 million extension tops out his overall deal at five years, $145 million.

He took $8 million less than his full max as general manager Koby Altman worked with Love and agent Jeff Schwartz to keep some salary cap flexibility for the Cavaliers on the back end of the deal, when his maximum annual salary could've been in the $35 million range, league sources said.
https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/1021830049438134272

agrajag

« Reply #20815 on: July 24, 2018, 11:08:02 PM »
Nobu

:kobeyuck

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20816 on: July 24, 2018, 11:09:48 PM »
Odd decision to double down on Love to me. That's a team that should be tearing things down. Not trying to tie themselves down.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20817 on: July 24, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »
Gilbert's probably itching to prove he can win without LeBron, and maaaaaaybe Love would have more trade value now that he wouldn't be a rental. Except his contract already looks like an albatross.

benjipwns

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20819 on: July 24, 2018, 11:14:12 PM »
Except his contract already looks like an albatross.

That's my thing. Maybe Love will prove me wrong and next season he will return to being the player he was in Minnesota, but I really think the game is moving away from him. Who's wants that contract for 4 years in a trade?