Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1510233 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread (June 29: Last day for player options)
« Reply #20580 on: June 26, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »
The LA Clippers are trading guard Austin Rivers to the Washington Wizards for center Marcin Gortat, league sources say.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20581 on: June 26, 2018, 11:56:36 PM »
"Hey Dad/Coach, what's up?"
"I was just wondering. How much do you like D.C.?"

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20583 on: June 27, 2018, 11:05:56 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20584 on: June 28, 2018, 07:24:17 AM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23932292/paul-george-informs-oklahoma-city-thunder-become-unrestricted-free-agent

Doesn't mean he is leaving yet as he could do a 1 and 1 in okc which many people think is going to happen but still... Once people start talking anything could happen.

Lebron has until Friday to declare also.

benjipwns

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #20586 on: June 28, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
At the beginning of last season and after André Roberson got hurt, it was a weird fit. Plus he put up several duds in round 1 after that first "Playoff P" game against Utah. 

Nola

« Reply #20587 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:30 PM »
Other than Stockholm Syndrome I can’t think of one good reason why Paul George should stay in OKC compared to any number of other options?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20588 on: June 28, 2018, 03:21:13 PM »
Other than Stockholm Syndrome I can’t think of one good reason why Paul George should stay in OKC compared to any number of other options?

I don't really understand it either.

I mean they keep playing up the idea that he feels some sense of loyalty to OKC for trading for him to get him out of indy or that he's best buds with Westbrook. I'm not saying those things may not be true, but I just have a hard time believing that is enough to make a person feel like he should stay in that situation.

I mean maybe I get the sense that if you stay in OKC, the fanbase will love you like a god for staying, and you have less pressure than going to LA where they will want you to be the savior and take them to the promised land while enduring endless comparisons to Kobe Bryant.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20589 on: June 28, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
At the end of the day, I just want to see some team capable of punching the dubs in the mouth.

:yeshrug

Plus a potential Lakers/Celtic finals with all the history that entails on top of Lebron vs. Kyrie would at be fun from a storyline perspective.

bluemax

« Reply #20590 on: June 29, 2018, 12:46:45 AM »
Didn't Paul George kinda suck at OKC anyway?

Not as much as Carmelo did. I've found it laughable for years all these rumors about some team acquiring Melo to form a super team, ignoring that he's old and busted and doesn't have relevant skills for today's NBA.

Although anyone who wants to win should really know that joining up with Westbrook is not gonna get you there.
NO

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20592 on: June 29, 2018, 04:06:17 PM »
That's why Cleveland put banners of Lebron on the side of buildings and not paintings this time.

:rollsafe

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20593 on: June 29, 2018, 04:51:39 PM »
Yo Lonnie walker is a complete fucking weirdo I might actually have to start liking him :dead

https://mobile.twitter.com/RE_sports/status/1012773180233125893?ref_src

T-Short

• hooker strangler
« Reply #20594 on: June 30, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »
"y'all tried to make it look too much like a moon. There's no way it looks this nice or is this well done."  :lol
地平線

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (July 1 : Free Agency begins)
« Reply #20595 on: June 30, 2018, 11:48:03 AM »
Sigh. Having to listen to stuff like this is why Lebron joining the Lakers is gonna be so annoying.

After spending two decades around Kobe Bryant as his agent and friend, Pelinka saw how obsessed the Lakers legend was with improving and constantly searching for new ways to find any advantage he could get over his opponent. It was Bryant's curiosity that in part inspired Pelinka to create the Genius Series.

"I remember one time [Bryant] called me and was like, 'Have you ever seen the way a cheetah attacks its prey? Like when it is hunting down a wildebeest?'" Pelinka said. "He said, 'I have really been thinking of ways to creatively change some of my movements and noticed that there was this incredible beauty in how a cheetah uses its tail to balance itself when it jumps in the air.' And he said, 'I have been moving my foot in different ways, almost like the tail of a cheetah, to learn how to have proper balance when I am shooting my fadeaway jumper.'"

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23929488/los-angeles-lakers-use-celebrity-speaker-series-promote-culture-success

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20596 on: June 30, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »

lol. Messy podcast but I like that Haralabos will at least challenge Bill who is used to just throwing out hot takes without ever getting a challenge back.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20597 on: June 30, 2018, 07:17:13 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20598 on: June 30, 2018, 10:35:15 PM »
best part of story:
He will reportedly not be meeting with Cleveland once midnight strikes, but he could be meeting with the Lakers -- at least he'll be in the neighborhood.

A mix of people on Twitter and reddit have done some digging and found a flight set from Anguilla, where James is vacationing, to Los Angeles. ESPN later reported that James was indeed the person on that plane.

James leaving his vacation to go have a meeting with the Lakers this early in the free agency process would be a bit of a surprise, but he has indicated he wants this to be a quicker decision than it's been in the past. He doesn't want any elaborate pitch meetings. He just wants to discuss his options with the teams he is interested in.

This could be the Lakers chance to convince James that he should come to Los Angeles and play for them. And it would be a huge advantage for them considering the Cavs aren't even reported to have a meeting yet. Of course, James could always have one with them later. He could even meet with them in Los Angeles if he wants to. He does live there during the summer.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20599 on: July 01, 2018, 12:00:13 AM »
PG staying in okc lol
püp

agrajag

« Reply #20600 on: July 01, 2018, 12:03:32 AM »
PG loves getting made into a giant dad confirmed

edit: well, I just discovered the rest of dog's forbidden words

Nola

« Reply #20602 on: July 01, 2018, 12:30:16 AM »
:holeup 40 mil for an eventual 37 year old Chris Paul? :neogaf

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20603 on: July 01, 2018, 12:40:14 AM »
Paul George signing a 3+1 to stay in OKC.

Did not see that coming.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20604 on: July 01, 2018, 12:41:06 AM »
With Paul George and Jerami Grant on board, Oklahoma City now has a payroll of $156M with 11 players under contract. Because of the repeater tax penalty, the Thunder currently have a tax bill of $130M. The tax bill would be the largest in NBA history.

lol. Now they are willing to pay. 

:gurl

benjipwns

« Reply #20605 on: July 01, 2018, 12:49:26 AM »
Center DeAndre Jordan has agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Dallas Mavericks worth close to the $24.1 million player option he declined to exercise with the LA Clippers, league sources confirmed to ESPN.

benjipwns

« Reply #20606 on: July 01, 2018, 12:50:42 AM »
HUGE ONE:
The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to re-sign forward Rudy Gay to a one-year, $10 million contract

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20607 on: July 01, 2018, 12:52:31 AM »
Good for PG.

I mean, they're not winning a title any time soon but what can you realistically expect in this age of Thanos Golden State?

Stoney Mason

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20609 on: July 01, 2018, 12:55:05 AM »
I told someone earlier today "None of those decisions make any sense together, it's like a Phoenix Suns offseason."

benjipwns

« Reply #20610 on: July 01, 2018, 12:56:05 AM »
Joe Harris: Agreed to two-year, $16 million deal to stay with the Brooklyn Nets.

Will Barton: Agreed in principle to a four-year, 54 million deal with the Denver Nuggets; Barton will be a starter at small forward.

benjipwns

« Reply #20611 on: July 01, 2018, 12:57:24 AM »
Good for PG.

I mean, they're not winning a title any time soon but what can you realistically expect in this age of Thanos Golden State?
fuck rings, get paid :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20612 on: July 01, 2018, 01:05:17 AM »
Good for PG.

fuck rings, get paid :rejoice

Yeah NBA players seem to be in fuck it, I just want to get paid now mode since the Warriors exist.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20613 on: July 01, 2018, 01:06:21 AM »
HUGE ONE:
The San Antonio Spurs have agreed to re-sign forward Rudy Gay to a one-year, $10 million contract

What's weird is when he opted out of his contract a few days ago, I thought that's odd. Who's going to pay him as a free agent.

So basically he just opted out to get a small raise from the Spurs.

benjipwns

« Reply #20614 on: July 01, 2018, 01:12:28 AM »
what if LeBron signs a one-and-one with the Lakers so he can learn Warriors Secrets from Luke Walton, then heads back to the Cavs, while they clean up the roster in the meantime, for his revenge :ohhh

agrajag

« Reply #20615 on: July 01, 2018, 01:14:28 AM »
what if LeBron signs a one-and-one with the Lakers so he can learn Warriors Secrets from Luke Walton, then heads back to the Cavs, while they clean up the roster in the meantime, for his revenge :ohhh

breh, I'll give you their secret for free

have Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson on your team

benjipwns

« Reply #20616 on: July 01, 2018, 01:17:58 AM »
that can't be it

agrajag

« Reply #20617 on: July 01, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
if Walton so smart how come Lakers sux?

benjipwns

« Reply #20618 on: July 01, 2018, 01:37:24 AM »
if Walton so smart how come Lakers sux?
Laker wins in Kobe's final three seasons: 65
Laker wins in Luke's first two seasons: 61

benjipwns

« Reply #20619 on: July 01, 2018, 01:53:55 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20620 on: July 01, 2018, 01:55:47 AM »
San Antonio will also bring in Marco Belinelli, who agreed to a two-year, $12 million deal with the team, a league source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

With Belinelli and Gay, the Spurs project to have $107 million in committed salary, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks. The Belinelli contract will hard cap the Spurs at $129 million, based on the guard's using more than the $5.3 million midlevel exception.
Ed Davis: Agreed to one-year, $4.4 million deal with the Brooklyn Nets.

benjipwns

« Reply #20621 on: July 01, 2018, 02:03:35 AM »
Then there's Carmelo Anthony, who chose to make $27.9 million in the final season of his contract rather than test free agency. Oklahoma City could save money in 2018-19 by dealing Anthony for a player (or players) with smaller but longer contracts, giving the other team more flexibility for the summer of 2019 while delaying the worst of the Thunder's tax problems another year.

It's unclear whether another team would be interested in such a deal, but for example Oklahoma City could deal Anthony to the Milwaukee Bucks for Matthew Dellavedova, John Henson and Tyler Zeller (whose 2018-19 salary would have to be guaranteed for the salaries to match). That deal would save the Thunder more than $30 million in salary and taxes this season, but add about $20 million in 2019-20 salary.

The more dramatic option would be a buyout for Anthony, who might be willing to give up some money to sign with another team if it becomes clear his role in Oklahoma City will diminish next season. Even merely waiving Anthony and stretching his 2018-19 salary would (along with a Singler waiver) trim the Thunder's luxury-tax bill to a more manageable $40 million or so.
waive and stretch! waive and stretch! waive and stretch!

also, the Lakers missing out on George, LeBron and Kawhi, then trading their cap space for Anthony would be acceptable :delicious
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 02:10:52 AM by benjipwns »

Nola

« Reply #20622 on: July 01, 2018, 02:20:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/1013297425564332032

This is such a weird bi-polar feeling I have about this situation.

I was hoping the Woj report that interest had dried up was true because the speculation was a for a 1 and 1 or 2 and 1 on a non-max contract but George signing with the Thunder and the Kawhi/Lakers talks slowing down means LA can potentially force the Pels to overpay. Which in a vacuum I'd rather not because if Cousins doesn't come back to near full strength that will be an anchor and the team was solid without him.

But I also feel like if Boogie walks and goes to the Lakers that is basically it for the AD era. No way he doesn't see one of his best friends signing with Lebron and not feel like he has to get to a team with other superstars to compete(and he would be right). So should the Pels just overpay him? IDK.

benjipwns

« Reply #20623 on: July 01, 2018, 02:51:12 AM »
Cousins probably should rethink his alt-moderate nickname, especially with everything that's happening, not a good look

benjipwns

« Reply #20624 on: July 01, 2018, 04:11:56 AM »
We've reached my favorite (read: insane) part of American sports media and fanbase furor: tracking airline flights!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/lebron-james-free-agency-rumors-james-flies-into-los-angeles-area-just-hours-before-free-agent-period-begins/
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1013144923783213061
He will reportedly not be meeting with Cleveland once midnight strikes, but he could be meeting with the Lakers -- at least he'll be in the neighborhood.

A mix of people on Twitter and reddit have done some digging and found a flight set from Anguilla, where James is vacationing, to Los Angeles. ESPN later reported that James was indeed the person on that plane.

James leaving his vacation to go have a meeting with the Lakers this early in the free agency process would be a bit of a surprise, but he has indicated he wants this to be a quicker decision than it's been in the past. He doesn't want any elaborate pitch meetings. He just wants to discuss his options with the teams he is interested in.

This could be the Lakers chance to convince James that he should come to Los Angeles and play for them. And it would be a huge advantage for them considering the Cavs aren't even reported to have a meeting yet. Of course, James could always have one with them later. He could even meet with them in Los Angeles if he wants to. He does live there during the summer.

Cavs general manager Koby Altman spoke to both Rich Paul and LeBron James over the phone at 12:01 a.m., sources tell ESPN.
good job, good effort everyone

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #20625 on: July 01, 2018, 04:29:13 AM »
can someone explain why Paul George is sticking with OKC?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20626 on: July 01, 2018, 04:38:42 AM »
They have the Museum of Osteology, for one.

benjipwns

« Reply #20627 on: July 01, 2018, 04:50:33 AM »
can someone explain why Paul George is sticking with OKC?
UNFINISHED BUSINESS

spoiler (click to show/hide)
accidentally signed a four year lease on his place
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #20628 on: July 01, 2018, 04:55:57 AM »
apparently the Lakers "backup plan" (according to some posts I saw on reddit from people with Laker icons, which I assume means they are insiders with the Lakers front office) is to now to go long to get Kawhi during the season without having to give up Ingram, then next offseason sign DeAndre, KD and Kyrie (who all signed one-year deals or refused an extension because they plan on teaming up, "multiple sources" say)

benjipwns

« Reply #20629 on: July 01, 2018, 04:59:14 AM »
i miss the days when Knicks fans weren't shells of human beings and created these same kind of elaborate plans :(

benjipwns

« Reply #20630 on: July 01, 2018, 07:44:45 AM »
Denver has been in contact with James’ agent, Rich Paul, and has doggedly tried to position the team as James’ best option

The Nuggets know it’s a long shot, but Denver’s ultra aggressive front office wants a shot at selling James on a Jokic/Murray/Barton teammate trio–even if it’s just for one year.
this is totally great :mynicca

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20631 on: July 01, 2018, 12:20:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1013440590686687233

So rooting for Philly. I always wanted Philly or Houston with staying in Cleveland as a last option. LA was my least favorite choice.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20632 on: July 01, 2018, 12:55:12 PM »
Please let the Lakers strike out on Lebron and everybody else.

Remington can continue to cry Kobe tears into his pillows for the next decade.

Stoney Mason

Nola

« Reply #20634 on: July 01, 2018, 03:57:00 PM »
I mean ever since he was on the Pels I always felt Tyreke's biggest hurdle was his own ego.

He always had the potential to be a 6th man of the year but he would pout and whine unless he was given the role of ISO hero on the team. The bench was an insult, he had to have the ball in his hands in clutch time so he could dribble into 3 defenders and throw up a prayer lay up and be on his back while the other team gets out on a 5 to 4 fast break.

If the Warriors could get him to buy into that 6th man role like on the Griz, and keep him out of clutch situations most nights, man.

Nola

« Reply #20635 on: July 01, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »
And it's over....Lebron to Lakers on 4 year deal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1013574987909824512

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20636 on: July 01, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
Damn.

Lakers just got their best player since Shaq.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #20637 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
rip kobe's legacy

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20638 on: July 01, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »

Nola

« Reply #20639 on: July 01, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Not that anybody but me cares, but at least this makes me feel a bit better about our position in retaining Cousins without a major overpay or possibly getting a sign and trade deal:

https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/1013580008458276864