Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1492769 times)

Nola

Re: The NBA thread (Game 7)
« Reply #20340 on: May 28, 2018, 10:43:48 PM »
Ariza has been trash.

What else is new?

True.

But it also wasn't too long ago that Ariza had that Rondo reputation for being able to turn it on in the playoffs and in big games.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20341 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »
You can not play Ryan Anderson. Get him out!

agrajag

« Reply #20342 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »
Fuck Steph

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20343 on: May 28, 2018, 10:44:40 PM »
It's over!

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #20344 on: May 28, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
rockets look ice cold. these threes... yuck. oh well

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20345 on: May 28, 2018, 10:46:18 PM »
 :smug

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20346 on: May 28, 2018, 10:47:22 PM »
Yeah guys, keeping chucking threes against a team with curry and klay on it. SMH.

The reality is this is how they are built though purposely. It's the only thing they can do outside of Harden iso drive.

agrajag

« Reply #20347 on: May 28, 2018, 10:48:25 PM »
Houston needs stops, now Curry and Durant are both feeling their shot

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20348 on: May 28, 2018, 10:50:33 PM »
15 point Rocket 3rd Quarter. Brutal. Harden is their only hope and he has not had a good shooting game.

agrajag

« Reply #20349 on: May 28, 2018, 10:52:00 PM »
15 point Rocket 3rd Quarter. Brutal. Harden is their only hope and he has not had a good shooting game.

Fun fact the the 3rd quarter has an almost exact scoreline in game 6 and 7, give or take a point

Nola

« Reply #20350 on: May 28, 2018, 10:52:43 PM »
Yeah +18 point differential in the third for the Warriors....I'm starting to think at this rate even my tongue in cheek exaggerated need for a 30 point cushion wouldn't have been enough.

agrajag

« Reply #20351 on: May 28, 2018, 10:54:06 PM »
Fucking CP3, why'd he have to get injured

agrajag

« Reply #20352 on: May 28, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
Lol Rockets should've practiced their 3s more

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20353 on: May 28, 2018, 10:59:02 PM »
Oh yay, gonna be another Cavs-Warriors finals
yar

agrajag

« Reply #20354 on: May 28, 2018, 11:03:02 PM »
Lol it's over

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20355 on: May 28, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »
The Warriors have outscored the Rockets by 68 points in the third quarter this series.

benjipwns

« Reply #20356 on: May 28, 2018, 11:14:04 PM »
put Nene in for Ariza, it'll confuse em for at least two possessions!

Nola

« Reply #20357 on: May 28, 2018, 11:16:36 PM »
Cancelling my sling subscription after this, don't think I want to follow yet another Warriors/Cavs finals series.
Yeah I was ultimately hoping the Rockets pulled it off only because I think the Finals would of actually been interesting this year, Cavs or Celtics.

Warriors/Cavs is such a boring match up because the Cavs just do not match up well against them. Lebron will get a token game or two through sheer will but the Warriors are going to shred that Cavs team.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20358 on: May 28, 2018, 11:17:41 PM »
Unfortunate that Paul got hurt. Not saying it was a rockets win guaranteed with him but it at least would have been more of a closely contested contest.

Good series. Rockets tried really hard. Couple of things I didn't like in that final game.

Playing Ryan Anderson. Bad Bad Bad.
Harden not recognizing that his shot wasn't working and not driving enough. He does this alot in big games. His most fatal flaw imo.
Not abusing Klay by dragging him over for the pick and roll in the 2nd quarter more.

benjipwns

« Reply #20359 on: May 28, 2018, 11:22:33 PM »
Rockets need to invoke the special rule, they can't end the game until Ariza proves he can make a three

also, a foot on the line long two will count

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #20360 on: May 28, 2018, 11:26:34 PM »
LeBron was able to will a group of scrubs to 2 wins over the Dubs in 2015 but that was before Durant.  Will probably be a sweep now.

:boring

benjipwns

« Reply #20361 on: May 28, 2018, 11:28:38 PM »
had they known one position wasn't going to score anyway, they could have given Ariza some extra rest and played Mbah a Moute a few minutes

benjipwns

« Reply #20362 on: May 28, 2018, 11:31:59 PM »
got some bad news guys, little known clause in the last CBA when they changed from the 2-3-2 format they actually made the Finals a best four series of seven series, even if the Warriors take this they're only up 3-1 so we still have to do Cavs/Warriors next year again at minimum

benjipwns

« Reply #20363 on: May 28, 2018, 11:34:55 PM »
plus who doesn't want to see another season where it seems like the Cavs are finally done with, all their offseason moves look like complete disasters, they make a big change at midseason and it seems not to work and then suddenly LeBron and four similarly dressed dudes proceed to dismantle any East team assembled in front of them

Nola

« Reply #20364 on: May 28, 2018, 11:52:29 PM »
Houston is gonna shot 50 threes this game. Calling it.

WRONG

spoiler (click to show/hide)
..They only took 44

Missed 37 of them
Which apparently is the most missed threes by a team in NBA history
:neogaf
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20365 on: May 28, 2018, 11:52:34 PM »
had they known one position wasn't going to score anyway, they could have given Ariza some extra rest and played Mbah a Moute a few minutes
i know you’re kidding, but ariza played his ass off defensively all series that I get why you’d still want him in there; straight up the only guy Houston had who could’ve matched up on Durant and Durant still hit a couple asshole jumpers right in his shit. The pressure the rockets were applying was crazy effective at throwing the warriors outta their offensive rhythm and it damn near got them to the finals. They even had their bigs applying half court pressure on ball handlers in isolation, Durant was hesitant to drive on capela, opting to call for a screen to get harden on him. That also led to ridiculous situations where they put Anderson out on an island with curry and, shockingly, he got put in a blender.

Nola

« Reply #20366 on: May 28, 2018, 11:56:20 PM »
That is a fair point, Ariza played his ass off defensively.

You just hope to at least do a little better than 0-12....And maybe if your shot isn't falling you don't take 9 threes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:02:29 AM by Nola »

benjipwns

« Reply #20367 on: May 29, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »
Zach Lowe's article the other day had a clip of Ariza having to switch three Warriors in three seconds, winding up having to defend Curry on a corner three

lots of that in this series so that everyone else could stay on a shooter and Capela didn't have to put himself out of position

Durant so kills the Cavs because they can't really play both Love and Thompson unless Love is nailing everything, Jeff Green's probably not a good enough option in the long run, they need to figure out how to give Nance J.R. Smith's jumper over the next three days and then they'll have a shot, maybe, if LeBron can play every minute of every game, possibly

benjipwns

« Reply #20368 on: May 29, 2018, 12:15:55 AM »
alternatively they could ask the league to investigate why the Jazz didn't send Rodney Hood's jumper with him in the trade (maybe they sent it to the Kings?)

agrajag

« Reply #20369 on: May 29, 2018, 12:19:34 AM »
Warriors in 4. Or 5. Whatever. As long as Stoney gets to feel no happiness, I’m good.

Jack Remington
In a world where you can be anything: be kind.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #20370 on: May 29, 2018, 12:21:32 AM »
woah jack. woah buddy.

:umad
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #20371 on: May 29, 2018, 12:23:28 AM »
Jack Remington
In a world where you can be anything: be kind.
Offer not valid to: Bernie Sanders supporters, Republicans or LeBron fans.

In order of most to least human.
[close]

Nola

« Reply #20372 on: May 29, 2018, 12:26:01 AM »
I still don't get this Jack/Stony plot line.

Did Stony vote for Bernie or something?

agrajag

« Reply #20373 on: May 29, 2018, 12:29:28 AM »
Stony had sex with Jack's wife

she was in a coma
[close]

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #20374 on: May 29, 2018, 12:32:37 AM »

Rabid Kobe stan doesn't want LeBron to have any success

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #20375 on: May 29, 2018, 12:36:58 AM »
If Kobe never gets traded from Charlotte he'd be remembered as a slightly better Paul Pierce

benjipwns

« Reply #20376 on: May 29, 2018, 12:49:58 AM »
I've recently thought a kinda fun conterfactual is what if the Lakers don't trade Marc Gasol for Pau, but wait for him to come over a few months later.

The main thing is Kobe probably doesn't win that MVP nor do they go to the Finals in 2008. (So Kobe has one less terrible Finals performance.) They were 24-11 with Bynum, 11-9 with neither, 22-5 with Pau.

But they probably also never chase after Dwight? (Or deal Marc Gasol sooner than they did Bynum since Jim Buss loved Bynum.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:54:19 AM by benjipwns »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20377 on: May 29, 2018, 12:54:16 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20378 on: May 29, 2018, 01:05:28 AM »
The Chris Paul to Lakers trade being allowed means the Rockets probably never get James Harden? (They would have sent Kevin Martin for Pau instead.)

Which probably means the Rockets never get Chris Paul and Eric Gordon who were the main opposite parts of the league allowed trade. :teehee

MULTILEVEL COUNTERFACTUAL SPECULATION IN SPORTS!
[close]

benjipwns

Re: The NBA thread (Warriors versus Cavs. AGAIN)
« Reply #20379 on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:24 AM »
it was kinda funny how much harder he suddenly played when he got back to LA with the Clippers (they even started him in the playoffs after Blake got hurt)

though the Lakers seemed to hold onto the rights to his offensive game

same joke as the Rodney Hood one, but worded differently! :ohyou
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #20380 on: May 29, 2018, 01:41:14 AM »
the league owned the Hornets at the time, they were technically rescinding the trade as the owner of the Hornets, not as the NBA, but Owner of the Hornets David Stern didn't do that until after Commissioner of the NBA David Stern already approved the trade by Owner of the Hornets David Stern

so "basketball reasons"

benjipwns

« Reply #20381 on: May 29, 2018, 01:52:21 AM »
also when you talk NBA history remember that the Charlotte Hornets never moved to New Orleans, they just took a few years off before renaming themselves the Bobcats and restarting under new ownership while paying an expansion fee, doing an expansion draft and agreeing to expansion restrictions, while the old owners started an expansion team that was named the Hornets in New Orleans that didn't have to do any of that and automatically got all the former Charlotte players

it's like the Cleveland Browns and the expansion franchise Baltimore Ravens situation in the NFL

and also the Seattle SuperSonics and the Oklahoma City Thunder are two separate franchises that both have the same history prior to 2008, only the Sonics are currently dormant but when they resume will share that history with the Thunder who have existed since 1967 but didn't start playing until 2008

sports league's silly technicalities :lawd

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20382 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:26 AM »
it's like the Cleveland Browns and the expansion franchise Baltimore Ravens situation in the NFL

and also the Seattle SuperSonics and the Oklahoma City Thunder are two separate franchises that both have the same history prior to 2008, only the Sonics are currently dormant but when they resume will share that history with the Thunder who have existed since 1967 but didn't start playing until 2008

sports league's silly technicalities :lawd

That arrangement is more intuitive and less a "silly technicality" than having team records follow a franchise as it moves, unless we're fetishizing private property to such a point that a chain of title becomes the sole defining... oh wait, now I get it.

benjipwns

« Reply #20383 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:48 AM »
as i'm jabbering about the Sonics...

in NBA 2K18's MyGM (franchise) mode, they added a silly plotline to it this year where the team gets suddenly bought by new owners (your former owner goes bankrupt investing in some absurd tech device or Facebook clone or something) who secretly want to move the team to Seattle and restart the Sonics, I was playing with the post-Blake Clippers (for basketball reasons) and I realized it's too perfect of a secret plotline for former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer who attempted to save the Sonics from leaving Seattle years ago and then later tried to move the Kings to become the Sonics before buying the Clips in that rush deal to get rid of Sterling

also, unlike the real Clippers I fired Doc Rivers right away, but not until after I traded his son for a bunch of draft picks just to get rid of him and his contract, then I fired Doc to hire fake coach with all A ratings :success

team filler

• filler
  • filler

benjipwns

« Reply #20385 on: May 29, 2018, 02:28:23 AM »
That arrangement is more intuitive and less a "silly technicality" than having team records follow a franchise as it moves, unless we're fetishizing private property to such a point that a chain of title becomes the sole defining... oh wait, now I get it.
The Browns and Ravens one maybe is because it was constructed as a clean break, though the NFL doesn't seem interested in doing it in any other situation like the Rams and specifically tried to use it against the Raiders and Chargers IIRC, but neither of the NBA ones are clean breaks. One's a backdated partial ownership change of the history/records tied to the land. And the other is a duplication of the history/records that will be in the hands of two potential franchises with one set that's tied to the land.

Before 2008, and especially before 2014, the NBA always went by the principle that the history/records moved with the franchise. That's how the Rochester Royals, Cincinnati Royals, Kansas City-Omaha Kings, Kansas City Kings and Sacramento Kings are all one franchise with one history and set of records. The Chicago Zeyphyrs, Baltimore Bullets, Capitol Bullets, Washington Bullets and Washington Wizards are one team. The Syracuse Nats and Philadelphia 76ers are one team. So are the Philadelphia Warriors and Golden State Warriors. And so on.

The Hornets history went with them to New Orleans, until new ownership renamed the team to the Pelicans, then a year later the league swapped the Bobcats expansion status to the New Orleans Hornets and backdated it two years, and gave the Charlotte Hornets history up until they moved to the Charlotte Bobcats team which was declared to have been on hiatus for two years. One franchise (the Hornets/Pelicans) held sole title until the league swapped part of the history/records with a franchise that didn't actually exist for another two years. Ten years after both franchises had been operating under the prior status for the whole ten years.

If a Sonics expansion team started next season, there'd be two NBA franchises with the same history and records prior to 2008 because the Thunder/Seattle agreement doesn't allow them to be split. The Sonics just took a nap for 10+ years, while the Thunder didn't play any games for their first 40 years. Both the Thunder franchise and the "Seattle" rights holders (the City or somebody, maybe whoever owns KeyArena) have ownership to the history/records. The franchise moved to Oklahoma City and took all the players, history and records, while also leaving behind the history and records for a future team to resume part ownership of.

I actually agree with your argument more than you may suspect, but in the NBA's case it's certainly become far more a silly set of technicalities more than any kind of principle in either direction. The history/records aren't tied to either the land or the franchise. (Nor are they at this point seemingly even tied to a specific franchise at a specific location during a specific period in time. Or even a single set of these.)

Personally, I would begin my NBA reign of terror by assigning the Lakers' Minnesota history to the Timberwolves, and then assigning the Lakers entire LA history to the Clippers franchise, the Celtics history post-1978 to the Lakers franchise (a 1978 expansion team) and the Clippers history to the Celtics franchise. And the Buffalo Braves were simply a team that existed from 1970-1978 before going defunct.

:patel
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 03:24:52 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #20386 on: May 29, 2018, 02:49:28 AM »
shut up nerd

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #20387 on: May 29, 2018, 05:40:02 AM »

Rabid Kobe stan doesn't want LeBron to have any success

I have no problem with LeBron having success.
I just wish Stoney Mason were incapable of deriving any joy from it.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20388 on: May 29, 2018, 06:16:35 AM »

I basically mindfucked him so hard I have him on 24/7 triggered mode. I like it. 

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20389 on: May 29, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »
God I hope LeBron signs with the Lakers this offseason. THE SALT.
yar

benjipwns

« Reply #20390 on: May 29, 2018, 06:41:45 AM »
and just how is he supposed to keep his finals streak alive playing in the same conference as the warriors?

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #20391 on: May 29, 2018, 07:16:51 AM »
and just how is he supposed to keep his finals streak alive playing in the same conference as the warriors?

If Kyrie and Hayward are healthy next season he ain't getting past the Celtics so it's probably a moot point anyway.

LeBron is kind of a conundrum as he's obviously the best player on the planet but having him on your team warps it around him to the extent that what is the team identity? Would surrounding him with just generic good players result in a better team? Are the rest of the current Cavs that shitty? (yes) Wherever he ends up it needs to be somewhere where he can't also be shadow GM and shell out shitty contracts to questionable "talents" like Tristan and JR.
yar

agrajag

« Reply #20392 on: May 29, 2018, 10:26:43 AM »
They lived and died by the shitty 3 pointer

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #20393 on: May 29, 2018, 10:51:10 AM »
Rockets deserved to lose that game when they literally would not shoot anything but contested, shitty threes 10 seconds into the clock despite having tons of open mid range and even open lanes for dunks and lay ups for 15 fucking minutes. In fact, they probably still could have won that game if they had stayed in front of the arc and quietly added 2 points every other possession. But no, absolute trash fuckball, no patience, constant and consistent bad shots because YA GOTTA SHOOT THE 3 BALL.

Fuck the Rockets.

Fuck the Warriors.

Fuck the Celtics.

Fuck the Cavs.

Fuck the NBA.

Fuck basketball.

Fuck America.

Fuck you.

America stands for freedom
But if you think you're free
Try watching playoff basketball
Without a brick wall made of threes

[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #20394 on: May 29, 2018, 10:53:35 AM »

If Kyrie and Hayward are healthy next season he ain't getting past the Celtics so it's probably a moot point anyway.

LeBron is kind of a conundrum as he's obviously the best player on the planet but having him on your team warps it around him to the extent that what is the team identity? Would surrounding him with just generic good players result in a better team? Are the rest of the current Cavs that shitty? (yes) Wherever he ends up it needs to be somewhere where he can't also be shadow GM and shell out shitty contracts to questionable "talents" like Tristan and JR.

I kind of want to see Lebron go to Houston and create their own version of the Warriors.
püp

agrajag

« Reply #20395 on: May 29, 2018, 10:56:49 AM »
I don't think it would work the same way though. Curry and Clay Thompson can just catch and shoot 3's all day. LeBron and Harden are both ball dominant players, so them having to share minutes wouldn't work out as well, and you'd probably just see Harden's numbers drop like Wade's when LeBron played in Miami.

benjipwns

« Reply #20397 on: May 29, 2018, 10:20:55 PM »
Alright, I'm finally over Sam Hinkie getting kneecapped. This makes it all worth it. This is the culmination of The Process:
Eric jr bristled at the perception that Hinkie deserved credit for turning around the franchise. “BC has done nothing but clean up hinkie’s mess,” the account wrote in January 2017.

When a Sixers fan with the handle @T_Buecher320 posted an image of Hinkie’s head superimposed on a dancing body, Enoughunkownsources was triggered. “I just hate that Gif,” they groused.

benjipwns

« Reply #20398 on: May 30, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »
someone jokingly replied to one of the accounts with, “This you, Bryan?,” Enoughunkownsources claimed to know Colangelo. “No - but thanks for the compliment!” they answered. “He is too classy to even engage. Worked with him: he is a class act.”
whew, that was close