Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1507091 times)

agrajag

Re: The NBA thread (July 1 : Free Agency begins)
« Reply #20700 on: July 02, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #20701 on: July 02, 2018, 07:29:58 PM »
They ain't trading Lonzo this year unless its part of the Kawhi deal. He has too much value specifically for them. He's a PG who can still pass but doesn't need to be ball dominant.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20702 on: July 02, 2018, 07:33:37 PM »
Noel's deal is for the league minimum, dis market.

Mike Scott: Agreed to a one-year deal with the LA Clippers.

Never forget. Noel turned down a four-year, $70 million contract from the Mavs instead expecting the max. Will go down as one of the biggest money mistakes ever.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:39:08 PM by Stoney Mason »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20703 on: July 02, 2018, 07:35:15 PM »
They ain't trading Lonzo this year unless its part of the Kawhi deal. He has too much value specifically for them. He's a PG who can still pass but doesn't need to be ball dominant.

Supposedly the Spurs aren't very high on Lonzo (for obvious reasons) but I bet they could get a first round pick for him from another team and kick it to the Spurs.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20704 on: July 02, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »

Supposedly the Spurs aren't very high on Lonzo (for obvious reasons) but I bet they could get a first round pick for him from another team and kick it to the Spurs.

Something along those lines could work but yeah it would have to figure into the Kawhi thing. They wouldn't just move him to move him.

Nola

« Reply #20705 on: July 02, 2018, 08:11:33 PM »
How to almost completely destroy the joy I felt in getting LeBron: let Randle go for absolutely nothing and watch him get signed for $9m a year.

I’m so furious.

Unless there is something else that hasn't dropped yet, like a sign and trade for Boogie, I really dont get what it is you all are doing outside of signing Lebron??

If you asked me yesterday what is next for the Lakers in FA after getting Lebron, signing Javale McGee, Lance Stephenson, and renouncing Randle to sign Rajon Rondo would of not been in any of my speculation.

Nola

« Reply #20706 on: July 02, 2018, 08:16:44 PM »
Yeah I mean none of it is long-term anchors like Cleveland got themselves in, still, I'm kind of wondering about the combined brain trust of Magic and Lebron building out this roster. It's incredibly odd.

Even on 1 year deals, there seems to have been a lot of better routes to go. IDK. FA is still young.

Stoney Mason

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:43:52 PM by Stoney Mason »

El Babua

« Reply #20708 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
 :lol

Stoney Mason

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20710 on: July 02, 2018, 08:52:40 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHAHAHAHA

Nola

« Reply #20711 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:45 PM »
Well that is about the worst way that could of gone down.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20712 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:53 PM »
5.3 mil? what a dumb biiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #20713 on: July 02, 2018, 08:58:37 PM »
fwiw, he isn’t projected to come back till like, right before the playoffs and solid chance he’s not half the player he used to be, it being an Achilles and all

El Babua

« Reply #20714 on: July 02, 2018, 09:01:09 PM »
Yeah, they honestly don't need Cousins to win a chip, but if he's even half the player he was then it's a wrap for the rest of the league come playoff time.

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #20715 on: July 02, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
Lakers bandwagoners had their shortest ride ever.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20716 on: July 02, 2018, 09:05:31 PM »
It's a great low risk high reward thing. Even if he sucks when he comes back, he's completely extra.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20717 on: July 02, 2018, 09:56:45 PM »
I mean ew, but get a ring I guess.  :yuck

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #20718 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
 :shaq2

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #20719 on: July 02, 2018, 10:17:19 PM »
Pels lost Rondo too but got Randle. =/

Big Hoops

« Reply #20720 on: July 03, 2018, 12:11:30 AM »
How are Spurs fans feeling in this thread? I'd like to get a feel, so I can have conversations with straight male friends  :shh

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20721 on: July 03, 2018, 12:23:50 AM »
How are Spurs fans feeling in this thread? I'd like to get a feel, so I can have conversations with straight male friends  :shh
:supergay

bluemax

« Reply #20722 on: July 03, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »

Lonzo's biggest value on offense is play making and passing, he can't shoot and I felt like he disappeared back in college when he didn't have the ball in his hands. And now that they've added another non shooting PG in Rondo, I feel like Lonzo's days are numbered.
NO

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #20723 on: July 03, 2018, 09:15:42 AM »
Lonzo will almost certainly be a much better shooter this season. 38% from 3 or higher is a reasonable expectation.
His shooting almost has to improve, but why is 38% a reasonable expectation? There a ton of examples of players improving drastically from their rookies seasons (Carter, Durant, Nowitzki off the top of my head, but I'm just wondering about that number.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20724 on: July 03, 2018, 11:28:52 AM »
Lots of great moves for the Lakers, maybe 'bron will actually win a Finals game this year.
dog

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #20725 on: July 03, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
lol at the "normal center" the Warriors bring in this year is one who likes to handle the ball and jack triples

benjipwns

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #20727 on: July 03, 2018, 02:46:34 PM »
 :shaq2 :american

Nola

« Reply #20728 on: July 03, 2018, 03:21:39 PM »
Despite still being annoyed at all that went down yesterday, this is good:

https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/1014149482416656384

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #20729 on: July 03, 2018, 04:32:22 PM »
lol how did I miss this:
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #20730 on: July 03, 2018, 04:40:01 PM »
Too late, ResetERA has already declared him guilty in the court of public opinion via the believe the victim clause!

:bolo

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20731 on: July 03, 2018, 06:06:20 PM »
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1014225434924535808

Not a big deal obviously but kind of a sign that Love is gonna be moved relatively soon I would think.

Stoney Mason

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #20733 on: July 03, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
Wizards ship out the center who was causing locker room friction so they can do this.

Grunfeld gonna Grunfeld.

benjipwns

« Reply #20734 on: July 03, 2018, 06:21:06 PM »
The tax MLE is a little below twice the minimum, plus he's still getting paid $20+ million by Brooklyn.

benjipwns

« Reply #20735 on: July 03, 2018, 06:22:35 PM »
The Denver Nuggets have traded forward Wilson Chandler and a future second-round draft pick to the Philadelphia 76ers

Free-agent guard Tyreke Evans has agreed in principle to a one-year, $12 million deal with the Indiana Pacers

Free-agent guard Michael Carter-Williams has agreed to a one-year, $1.75 million minimum contract with the Houston Rockets

Restricted free-agent guard Dante Exum has agreed to a 3-year, $33 million contract extension with the Utah Jazz

benjipwns

« Reply #20736 on: July 03, 2018, 06:23:51 PM »
Boston Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving and Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Jimmy Butler are trying to find a way to play together, according to a report from the Chicago Sun-Times. Both players are eligible for free agency next summer.
KNICKS ARE BACK!

benjipwns

« Reply #20737 on: July 03, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20738 on: July 03, 2018, 09:11:19 PM »
I didn't realize the Warriors don't get Bird rights for cousins. That's interesting.

benjipwns

« Reply #20739 on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:59 PM »
at age 35...

Elton Brand, LaPhonso Ellis and Brandon Jennings are closer to Cousins' age, Brand probably is the best example to look at except he had other injuries iirc that doubled his seasons out of the game.

Beezy

« Reply #20740 on: July 03, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »
Boston Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving and Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Jimmy Butler are trying to find a way to play together, according to a report from the Chicago Sun-Times. Both players are eligible for free agency next summer.
KNICKS ARE BACK!
stop it

benjipwns

« Reply #20741 on: July 03, 2018, 11:19:35 PM »
Isaiah Thomas probably signing with Orlando.

Also:
Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed

bluemax

« Reply #20742 on: July 04, 2018, 12:16:14 AM »
So the Lakers depth chart is:

Ball/Rondo
KCP/Lance Stephenson
Lebron/Ingram
Kuzma/Moritz Wagner
Lopez/Frye/McGee

I guess it comes down to what you think of KCP and Ingram
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #20743 on: July 04, 2018, 12:22:31 AM »
Brook Lopez is still unsigned. Same with Frye. They also have Josh Hart still.

Nola

« Reply #20744 on: July 04, 2018, 01:23:27 AM »
at age 35...

Elton Brand, LaPhonso Ellis and Brandon Jennings are closer to Cousins' age, Brand probably is the best example to look at except he had other injuries iirc that doubled his seasons out of the game.

Yeah when it happened I tried to find all the research I could on players returning from achilles injuries and it's just a really sparse sample size. So it really is a bit of an unknown what to expect.

Not to mention a lot of the talking points that you hear about(or I did), like Lowe mentioning in his pieces about 80-90% never returning to form is a bit misleading. A lot of players are not very good to begin with, so they weren't likely to stay in the league anyways. Since an injury like that is just a big "nope" when it comes to fringe players. So that skews those results.

....Knowing our franchises luck though(or incompetence if you insist), Cousins will have a Dominique Wilkins type recovery.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 01:29:26 AM by Nola »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20745 on: July 04, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »

Beezy

« Reply #20746 on: July 04, 2018, 11:39:16 AM »
Isaiah Thomas probably signing with Orlando.

Also:
Word also reached us Monday night that LeBron’s Lakers, after signing Rajon Rondo away from New Orleans and then losing Randle to the Pelicans, had an opportunity to sign Cousins at a one-year price point similar to the one that landed him in Golden State. But I’m told the Lakers passed

source?

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20747 on: July 05, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
The Denver Nuggets have traded forward Wilson Chandler and a future second-round draft pick to the Philadelphia 76ers

Free-agent guard Tyreke Evans has agreed in principle to a one-year, $12 million deal with the Indiana Pacers

Free-agent guard Michael Carter-Williams has agreed to a one-year, $1.75 million minimum contract with the Houston Rockets

Restricted free-agent guard Dante Exum has agreed to a 3-year, $33 million contract extension with the Utah Jazz

These contract amounts seem so random. How does grandpa Chris Paul get 4/$160M and King James gets 4/$153M?
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20748 on: July 05, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »
I mean your contract is partly dependent on your situation and the team and their needs but in the case of Paul versus Lebron it has to do with bird rights and the higher escalators per year. It gets complicated.

benjipwns

benjipwns

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #20751 on: July 06, 2018, 10:19:34 AM »
©ZH

benjipwns

« Reply #20752 on: July 06, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
Center Kyle O'Quinn has agreed to a one-year, $4.5 million contract with the Indiana Pacers, a source told ESPN's Chris Haynes.
Pacers stocking up this year.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20753 on: July 06, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24017911/oklahoma-city-thunder-carmelo-anthony-part-ways

The massive financial implications of Anthony opting into his $27.9 million contract for the 2018-19 season -- coupled with a mutual understanding that his scaled back role isn't what he had signed up for to play with Oklahoma City -- have dictated that the two sides will part ways sometime this summer, league sources told ESPN.

Anthony's agent, Leon Rose of CAA Sports, has a strong relationship and history with Thunder general manager Sam Presti, and they'll work together on Anthony's exit through trade, the NBA's stretch provision, or a combined buyout and stretch, league sources said.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #20754 on: July 06, 2018, 12:48:17 PM »
Carmelo's going to get one of those Bobby Bonilla contracts, isn't he?

benjipwns

« Reply #20755 on: July 06, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »
LeBron's going to be showing the texts and playing the voicemails from Melo for other people.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20756 on: July 06, 2018, 11:41:16 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #20757 on: July 07, 2018, 04:54:36 AM »
Dwight getting more than originally reported:
The Brooklyn Nets have finalized a contract buyout with center Dwight Howard, clearing the way for him to sign a two-year, $11 million free-agent deal with the Washington Wizards, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Even Pop wasn't going to pay this much:
Free-agent guard Tony Parker has agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal with the Charlotte Hornets
"It's difficult to put into words how important Tony Parker has been to the Spurs franchise over the past two decades," Popovich said in a statement. "From his first game in 2001 at age 19, TP has impressed and inspired us -- day-after-day, game-after-game, season-after-season -- with his passion, dedication and desire. We are grateful to Tony for 17 years of truly amazing memories."
although...
Tension between Parker and Leonard emerged after Parker said his own quadriceps injury was "100 times worse" than Leonard's. Leonard had been seeking outside treatment and recovering away from the team for most of last season.

Parker ruptured his left quadriceps tendon in the 2016-17 Western Conference finals and now says he is close to 100 percent healed. He returned to the court on Nov. 27 last season after 208 days. His injury was considered more significant than Leonard's, and the team sought advice from the world's best tendon experts for Parker and Leonard.

Parker elected to utilize the Spurs' doctors, and Leonard sought treatment outside of the organization.

"I have no problem with Kawhi Leonard. We never had an argument," Parker told The Undefeated. "When the journalist asked me if my injury was worse than Kawhi's, I said yes because it was true. But that didn't lessen the significance of his injury. He took over the franchise, and I gave up the torch of the franchise willingly. It's very sad that the media took one quote and made it sound like I didn't want to play with him. He was the face of the franchise."
I assume he'll match this:
Restricted free-agent forward Kyle Anderson has signed a four-year, $37.2 million offer sheet with the Memphis Grizzlies, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

This didn't even last an hour:
The Chicago Bulls have decided to match the Sacramento Kings' four-year, $78 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Zach LaVine, league sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski. The Bulls have 48 hours to match the offer sheet and fully plan to do so before the deadline.

Good sign of just how the market dried up, especially for centers who aren't Jokic:
Restricted free-agent center Jusuf Nurkic has agreed to a four-year, $48 million deal to stay with the Portland Trail Blazers
The guy he was traded for, Mason Plumlee, got $41 million over three years last summer from Denver. His brother Miles got $50 million over four years the summer before that from the Bucks. Both were 27, Nurkic is 23.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

benjipwns

« Reply #20759 on: July 08, 2018, 03:10:35 AM »
The Orlando Magic have acquired guard Jerian Grant and center Timofey Mozgov in a three-team deal with the Charlotte Hornets and Chicago Bulls.

The Magic send center Bismack Biyombo to the Hornets, where he started his career as the No. 7 overall pick in 2011.

Chicago acquires Charlotte guard Julyan Stone, who has a non-guaranteed contract that could be waived next month.