Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1501930 times)

Himu

Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #22200 on: March 12, 2020, 02:57:13 AM »
VC :fbm
IYKYK

Nuitangg

« Reply #22201 on: March 12, 2020, 10:54:24 AM »
« Last Edit: March 12, 2020, 11:19:52 AM by Joe Molotov »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22202 on: March 12, 2020, 11:21:31 AM »
The younger players need to be careful about catching this and giving it to Vince Carter.
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22203 on: March 12, 2020, 02:02:59 PM »
you are willing to excuse the fact that he touched and held the ball and deliberately took charges and set screens? ok, lol on the last one, dude can't pnr for shit  :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22204 on: March 12, 2020, 02:15:28 PM »
This dude may have single-handedly exposed the entire league to covid. :dead
dog

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22205 on: March 12, 2020, 02:16:51 PM »
toss him over the wall!

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #22206 on: March 14, 2020, 10:08:54 PM »

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22207 on: March 14, 2020, 10:11:30 PM »
but he's the franchise now :brazilcry

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #22208 on: March 16, 2020, 12:07:54 AM »
Against the backdrop of a global pandemic, NBA owners and executives are bracing for the possibility of mid-to-late June as a best-case scenario for the league's return, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Fears exist of a season completely lost, especially based on what some experts see as the slow response of the United States to flatten the curve of the coronavirus and make testing available on a widespread basis. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a recommendation on Sunday night that no events or gatherings should include more than 50 people for the next eight weeks.

The league office has given teams no guidance yet on a timeline for a resumption of play, but organizations themselves are preparing for the possibility of a long hiatus based upon the facts surrounding the coronavirus outbreak.

The NBA moved from the idea of games without fans in the arenas to suspending the season indefinitely within minutes of Utah Jazz center Rudy Gobert testing positive for the coronavirus on Wednesday.

"Our world has changed since Wednesday's [board of governors] call," one team president told ESPN. "The reality isn't lost on anyone right now.

NBA owners are awaiting the league's financial projections on lost revenues, which are expected to be shared with them soon, sources said. J.B. Lockhart, the NBA's chief financial officer, has been leading the effort to deliver owners what all expect to be challenging financial projections on a short-term future that is thick with uncertainty and volatility.

The NBA likely will provide projections on three primary scenarios: the financial costs of shutting down the season, restarting with no fans in the arena, or playing playoff games with fans. Those losses will be reflected in next season's salary cap and the players' share of basketball-related income.

For now, there's a working plan that games would return without fans, and teams have been told to search out arena dates well into August for the playoffs, sources said. Teams have been directed to give the league office potential dates at smaller nearby game venues, including team practice facilities, that could spare the use of empty, cavernous arenas and possibly provide backdrops to unique television viewing lines.

Organizations must evaluate the short- and long-term implications of this season's stoppage, including future sponsorships and ticket renewals. Many owners are feeling the sting of not only the loss of NBA games, but the loss of concert dates and other events in darkened arenas.

Through it all, NBA commissioner Adam Silver is encouraging his league to be open to experimental ideas in every area -- scheduling format, venues, television -- on how to respond to an unprecedented crisis.

While there is growing concern about what's coming and the health of American society, there remains some optimism that the season can be resumed. Mostly, there is uncertainty because no one -- not owners, not Silver -- can be certain based on the unfolding of the coronavirus impact and how dramatically the escalation of the crisis will impact the league's ability to resume.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28908729/sources-owners-execs-bracing-mid-late-june-best-case-scenario-nba-return

bluemax

« Reply #22209 on: March 16, 2020, 01:57:10 AM »
If the NBA isn't back until June, I wonder what that means for baseball and hockey? Are these sports all going to have to run mini camps to get people back into shape? Spring training was almost over, so what happens to pitchers arms, do they have to stretch them back out again?
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22210 on: March 16, 2020, 02:24:04 AM »
I mean despite all their plans, that's all they are. It's pretty much impossible to predict how things will look in a few months.

Not having NBA has fucked up my evening ritual which generally involved watching Lakers game and then going to bed. Now I don't know what to do with myself at night.

:doge

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22211 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:10 AM »
i'd plan workouts around nba games  :fbm

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22212 on: March 16, 2020, 02:54:08 AM »
just picked up durant from the waivers :smug

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22213 on: March 16, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
This shutdown has made me realize how much of my day is made up of consuming content based around sports. From checking scores, reading articles, to listening to podcasts, to watching highlights, etc.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22214 on: March 16, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
This shutdown has made me realize how much of my day is made up of consuming content based around sports. From checking scores, reading articles, to listening to podcasts, to watching highlights, etc.

lol very true. Not visiting nba reddit or Lakers reddit or trolling for basketball entertainment has freed up an embarrassing amount of time.

benjipwns

« Reply #22215 on: March 16, 2020, 03:55:00 PM »
One idea I would consider, if they look like they could get fans back in the buildings around May, is simply doing a tournament, with the "full playoffs" format only for say, the Semi-Finals to Finals at most. Set the seeds based on where the season ended. Lock in the top six seeds, and then let more teams into the tournament.

Not let every team in, but say down to the 12th seed in each conference, do that one game elimination tournament idea to get the 7 and 8 seeds, first round could be a best of three, then maybe a best of five Second Round, then back to seven games for the Conference and NBA Finals. Ending only a couple weeks beyond where they would normally.

The real scheduling problem that drags out the playoffs is during the first and second rounds anyway, temporarily cutting those down to best of 3 and best of 5 lets you do them in two weeks instead of a month. Even cutting just the first round down to a best of five potentially saves you a week.

The main reason I'd do an expanded "play-in" round is to get some games back for the lower/bubble teams but not really threaten the contenders too much. If they really can't get back by June, then I'd start thinking about not only a shortened first two rounds but also cutting out the conference seedings, seed by record only.

Main thing to preserve imo is the Conference Finals and Finals at seven games. Even if you have to just say Bucks and Raptors and Lakers and Clippers, sorry everybody else.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22216 on: March 16, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
I'm down for whatever. My initial thought was of course the regular season is gone and just do the playoffs but as the scale and scope of the problem progressed last week, that scenario seems naively optimistic.

I really have no idea what will happen. My only real belief is in the greed of the owners and the greed of capitalism so I tend to bet on them not leaving money on the table once a few weeks pass. But it depends on how the public is feeling. This one of those rare cases where sentiment of the public will also take part in any decision. If the death toll reaches a certain level, the public's appetite for playoff basketball won't be there.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 05:36:50 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22217 on: March 16, 2020, 05:59:46 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #22218 on: March 16, 2020, 11:36:31 PM »
One idea I would consider, if they look like they could get fans back in the buildings around May, is simply doing a tournament, with the "full playoffs" format only for say, the Semi-Finals to Finals at most. Set the seeds based on where the season ended. Lock in the top six seeds, and then let more teams into the tournament.

Not let every team in, but say down to the 12th seed in each conference, do that one game elimination tournament idea to get the 7 and 8 seeds, first round could be a best of three, then maybe a best of five Second Round, then back to seven games for the Conference and NBA Finals. Ending only a couple weeks beyond where they would normally.

The real scheduling problem that drags out the playoffs is during the first and second rounds anyway, temporarily cutting those down to best of 3 and best of 5 lets you do them in two weeks instead of a month. Even cutting just the first round down to a best of five potentially saves you a week.

The main reason I'd do an expanded "play-in" round is to get some games back for the lower/bubble teams but not really threaten the contenders too much. If they really can't get back by June, then I'd start thinking about not only a shortened first two rounds but also cutting out the conference seedings, seed by record only.

Main thing to preserve imo is the Conference Finals and Finals at seven games. Even if you have to just say Bucks and Raptors and Lakers and Clippers, sorry everybody else.

Yahoo threw out a bunch of similar ideas: https://sports.yahoo.com/in-wake-of-coronavirus-hiatus-nba-may-have-to-consider-some-radical-changes-174123328.html
NO

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22219 on: March 17, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »
I blame the Warriors medical staff.

Tripon

« Reply #22220 on: March 18, 2020, 02:10:42 PM »

Tripon

« Reply #22221 on: March 18, 2020, 03:48:07 PM »

Tripon

« Reply #22222 on: March 19, 2020, 07:29:01 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22223 on: March 19, 2020, 08:35:29 PM »
Amazing how many rich people in any walk of life are able to get tests for a cough but normal people are near death and told to just go home because there aren't tests everywhere else in the country

Fixed

benjipwns

« Reply #22225 on: March 24, 2020, 11:58:55 PM »

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22226 on: March 25, 2020, 12:44:39 AM »
"The Process" being Step 1: Leak plans on twitter, Step 2: Backtrack as soon as you start to feel any heat, Step 3: Be proud to have done the right thing!
©@©™

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22227 on: March 25, 2020, 12:45:09 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22228 on: March 25, 2020, 03:50:54 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22229 on: March 26, 2020, 09:20:28 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22231 on: March 27, 2020, 07:03:13 PM »
I've been watching old NBA playoffs games before bed on youtube to fix my basketball jones so I might as well post about it here since I'm bored. They are fairly quick to get through once you bypass the halftime show and commercials.

Last one I watched was Game 1 of the 86 Finals Rockets versus Celtics. Might have watched this one live as a kid before I really understood how basketball was played. I'll divide my thoughts into general basketball stuff and stuff specific to this game.

General

One made three pointer the entire game. The announcers talk about how dangerous Larry Bird is from 3 and he doesn't take one the entire game. Dennis Johnson hit the only made one of the game and I'm pretty sure 5 or less were attempted by both teams the entire game.Just a different era.

The lane and paint are so clogged and everybody helps on defense since everybody is so close together. There is no such thing as corner 3 spacers. Obviously this is how basketball has been played most since its inception until the late 90's and on but its still so different from current basketball that it takes you awhile to adjust.

So much post up play. So much. I miss it.

Mitchel Wiggins of the Rockets (who eventually got booted out of the league for drugs) is Andrew Wiggins father. I never made that connection before until this game.

Specific

It was a close game until late in the 3rd quarter when foul trouble let the Celtics over-run the Rockets. I didn't realize Olajuwon was this good, this early in his career. For some reason in my mind's eye I remembered it taking longer. But he's all around great and the probably the best player on the floor arguably. He just doesn't have the help Bird does.

Hakeem scored 25 points in the first half alone. The Celtics couldn't do anything with him. He had to because Ralph Sampson picked up three fouls in the first quarter and then sat the rest of the half. Terrible Terrible game for Sampson even when he came back in the second half. 38 minutes.  8 points. 4 of 12 from the field.

The Celtics Big Three Frontline were dominant as expected. McHale, Parish, and Bird were just way too much for the rockets. Bird finished 2 rebounds short of a triple double and Dennis Johnson was pretty close to one himself.  Like I mentioned the game was close up until midway in the third quarter when Olajuwon picked up his 5th foul and had to take a long rest. The Celtics blew them out during this stretch and the game was never close the rest of the way. One final observation. It's funny watching Larry Bird play defense. He is never close to his man. He is always 5 feet off of him playing help defense somewhere else. Because the 3 pointer isn't emphasized, and nobody is in the corner, this behavior is rarely punished.

Anyway that's it for that one. I won't do that for every game. But maybe for the ones I find especially interesting in some way.

bluemax

« Reply #22232 on: March 27, 2020, 09:29:18 PM »
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198605260BOS.html

This shows 2 made 3s combined on 6 attempts, which is still nutso. That would be a normal 2 minutes worth of shots for James Harden.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22233 on: March 27, 2020, 09:37:36 PM »
https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/198605260BOS.html

This shows 2 made 3s combined on 6 attempts, which is still nutso. That would be a normal 2 minutes worth of shots for James Harden.

Yeah I didn't check the stats on that one. I just went from what I remembered. But yeah there were very few. And the ones that could have been, you would often see players take a step in from the 3 point line as nobody knew back then, that was the worst percentage shot you can take.

benjipwns

« Reply #22234 on: March 27, 2020, 10:48:53 PM »
I'd always heard of Bird as a bad defender, even from worshipers like Bill Simmons, and he's pretty bad man-to-man against anyone athletic, but the dude was a savant help-wise as much as he is on offense at just knowing where everybody is. Just watching the vid Stoney posted he's constantly popping up out of nowhere at the worst possible time for the Rockets to help, poke away at the ball or add an extra contest to a shot. Or even just to secure a board. Since there's no danger of a team rotating the ball around the arc to the open three pointer he can dominate whole stretches without shooting just from doing this and from his passing.

McHale's similarly not great athletically but is super smart, doesn't fall for almost anything and has great timing. So he's not killing their defense either despite his obvious flaws.

I watched some old games or parts of them on YouTube a while back and all the bad long twos definitely stood out. And it's not like good shooters taking them it's almost everybody. I remember Kevin Duckworth out there jacking up bricks on multiple possessions as Clyde looks like he's about to strangle the guy. Watched a Denver-Lakers game where everybody spent most of the first two quarters just running back and forth taking semi-open 18-20 footers. Then finally Magic starts curating inside to Kareem and Worthy and they go on like a 14-0 run the Nuggets never recover from.

It's also funny when you come across a game where a dude is taking a bunch of triples and making them, like Michael Adams was an early three point bomber I found quite a few games of, and nobody seems to know what to do about it. Dude's hit like five threes in an era when teams don't hit that many and they're still guarding him for the drive or giving no effort to watch him closely as he jogs around a screen. Even he stopped taking the three and started going inside though as the game was getting towards the end like it was uncouth to be killing whoever from out there.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:56:19 PM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #22235 on: April 04, 2020, 12:26:26 AM »
season may be about to be pronounced formally DOA but news for my man Bis:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28991031/bulls-seeking-top-executive-full-authority-basketball-decisions
The Chicago Bulls have embarked on a formal search process to hire a new top executive with full authority on basketball decisions, sources told ESPN.

Among the Bulls' initial plans will be to seek permission to interview Denver Nuggets general manager Arturas Karnisovas and Toronto GM Bobby Webster, among other candidates, sources told ESPN.

Chicago ownership has discussed the plan with executive VP of basketball operations John Paxson and GM Gar Forman, sources said. Paxson is likely to continue in an advisory role with the franchise; there are expected to be more ownership conversations with Forman about his future, too, sources said.

The Bulls plan to talk with several candidates to lead the franchise and expect to have new leadership well before the league resumes play following the NBA's shutdown because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Interviews will start next week and will be conducted electronically, sources said.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22236 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:51 PM »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22237 on: April 25, 2020, 06:54:42 PM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22238 on: April 25, 2020, 07:39:48 PM »
Atlanta Hawks are going to win the championship.

jakefromstatefarm

Re: The NBA thread (Season begins October 22nd)
« Reply #22239 on: April 25, 2020, 07:47:03 PM »
48 wins, tops
so close to being technically right

Tripon

« Reply #22240 on: April 26, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
Do you think the NBA just moves straight to playoffs format?

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #22241 on: April 26, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
they'll surely need to make sure everyone has played the same amount of games?
(ice)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22242 on: April 26, 2020, 07:02:14 PM »
Do you think the NBA just moves straight to playoffs format?

At minimum they would probably play a few games to warm everybody up instead of just jumping straight to the playoffs.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #22243 on: April 26, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »
We watching The Last Dance or nah?

Detroit time  :lawd

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22244 on: April 26, 2020, 10:25:25 PM »
Been busy but I'm gonna try to catch a few episodes tonight from the beginning.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22245 on: April 26, 2020, 11:52:02 PM »
It's kinda wild. I grew up with MJ but never really got into basketball (watching more than later playoffs/finals) until the past ten years or so? He was so omnipresent this is still super nostalgic.

benjipwns

« Reply #22246 on: May 02, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29124679/nba-postpones-draft-lottery-draft-combine
As ownership support grows for the idea, commissioner Adam Silver and the NBA board of governors continued discussions Friday about delaying the start of the 2020-21 season until December, sources told ESPN.

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, the NBA's thinking and planning has progressed on the idea independent of whether the 2019-20 season resumes and is completed, sources said.

team filler

• filler
  • filler

benjipwns

« Reply #22248 on: May 09, 2020, 02:32:39 AM »

El Babua

« Reply #22249 on: May 09, 2020, 02:35:53 AM »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #22250 on: May 14, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
I guess because I've been consuming so much 90's Bulls game on youtube, I got this one in my recommended.

It made me realize I've never watched any pre-merger NBA ball before. Outside of those grainy, black and white clips they show from time to time where everyone looks ridiculously unathletic and slow.

I'm actually surprised how well this game compares to modern ball. It's much more fluid and athletic than I would've suspected. I also love how fast foul shots take, they don't sit there and bounce the ball 10 times before each shot. Jerry West in particular is so damned smooth.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22251 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:03 PM »
Adam Silver is gonna set up Ball Island
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22252 on: May 15, 2020, 03:33:39 PM »
Been busy but I'm gonna try to catch a few episodes tonight from the beginning.

Watched all the episodes done so far. It's good. I mean its probably better for younger people and not old fucks who know 90% of this already but that is probably most of the audience at this point. Worth watching. My fear going in is that it would be a little too ass-kissey toward Jordan and it probably is a little bit, but its fine. There are always other extra perspectives you can go to to add some insight.

benjipwns

« Reply #22253 on: May 20, 2020, 11:25:20 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29195428/horace-grant-says-michael-jordan-lied-last-dance-calls-snitch
"Lie, lie, lie. ... If MJ had a grudge with me, let's settle this like men," Grant said during the interview. "Let's talk about it. Or we can settle it another way. But yet and still, he goes out and puts this lie out that I was the source behind [the book]. Sam and I have always been great friends. We're still great friends. But the sanctity of that locker room, I would never put anything personal out there. The mere fact that Sam Smith was an investigative reporter. That he had to have two sources, two, to write a book, I guess. Why would MJ just point me out?

"It's only a grudge, man. I'm telling you, it was only a grudge. And I think he proved that during this so-called documentary. When if you say something about him, he's going to cut you off, he's going to try to destroy your character."

"Charles Barkley, they've been friends for over 20, 30 years," Grant said. "And he said something about Michael's management with the Charlotte Bobcats or the Charlotte Hornets, and then they haven't spoken since then. And my point is, he said that I was the snitch, but yet and still after 35 years he brings up his rookie year going into one of his teammates' rooms and seeing coke and weed and women. My point is: Why the hell did he want to bring that up? What's that got to do with anything? I mean, if you want to call somebody a snitch, that's a damn snitch right there."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22254 on: May 27, 2020, 08:21:25 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22255 on: June 03, 2020, 02:58:19 AM »
As the NBA models a 22-team format for the season's proposed resumption beginning July 31 in Orlando, Florida, a timeline shared with teams as a last possible date for a Finals Game 7 lands on Oct. 12, sources told ESPN.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/ed8zxn/kotor_1_and_2_mod_builds_guaranteed_compatibility/

benjipwns

« Reply #22256 on: June 03, 2020, 03:02:11 AM »
I thought they would speed up the schedule in places since no travel.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22257 on: June 03, 2020, 03:07:27 AM »
it's going to be a big improvement, but people don't like change. so they'll go back to regular next season anyway  :corona_mj

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22258 on: June 03, 2020, 12:10:50 PM »
we have a chance.  :awesome

Tripon

« Reply #22259 on: June 03, 2020, 12:15:33 PM »