Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1507926 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #21960 on: November 14, 2019, 09:28:30 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28082614/source-trail-blazers-signing-carmelo-anthony-non-guaranteed-contract

Carmelo Anthony is signing a non-guaranteed deal with the Portland Trail Blazers, a source tells ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Blazers have tried at different times in the past to add Anthony and made an attempt to acquire him when he was with the Knicks.

Portland is lagging at the bottom of the West standings with a 4-8 record, having lost its last two games.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #21961 on: November 14, 2019, 11:32:06 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #21962 on: November 15, 2019, 12:12:44 AM »
Clippers defense with Lou Williams and Montrez Harrell on the floor is... not great. At least Paul George looked good!
NO

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #21963 on: November 15, 2019, 01:01:49 PM »
Luka > Dirk

28.7 PPG (4th), 10.3 RPG (11th), 9.3 APG (2nd), 30.62 PER (2nd) at the age of 20?

He needs to play with better starters. Curry and Finney-Smith are garbage and Porzingis is playing like garbage.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21964 on: November 16, 2019, 02:08:55 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21965 on: November 16, 2019, 10:00:45 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #21966 on: November 17, 2019, 02:20:27 AM »
"He's clearly the second-best point guard to ever play for the Hawks." -- Hawks career assists leader Rivers on Young.

Clippers dropping an easy 150 on the Hawks without Kawhi.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21967 on: November 17, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »
ppg: 15.2
rebs: 10.6
per:22.14

I like how Tristan Thompson decides to show up in a contract year despite taking the prior ones off when he got paid.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21968 on: November 17, 2019, 11:34:43 PM »

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #21969 on: November 18, 2019, 12:13:01 AM »
anyone got thoughts on how long Lowry will be out? they're saying 2 weeks at least, but it sounds worse than that?

got him sitting in IR in my fantasy league and Russell's out now for at least 2 weeks with a thumb injury too. pretty fresh to playing fantasy. did it once years ago, but was casual and barely cared. anyone got tips on resources etc. def want to hold on to Russell, but wondering if i should try trade for Lowry. thumb fracture sounds p bad.
◕‿◕

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #21970 on: November 18, 2019, 01:20:15 AM »
what's your league's format?

naff

« Reply #21971 on: November 18, 2019, 01:50:20 AM »
9 cat h2h

top 2 in REB,PTS,BLK

3rd in FG%,

middle of the pack in FT%,3PT,TO

low af in AST, STL

tryna figure out a trade getting rid of lowry in IR and kendrick nunn for a decent guard to gimme a little FT%/3PT bump.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:56:00 AM by naff »
◕‿◕

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #21972 on: November 18, 2019, 02:48:01 AM »
what about league size, roster size and positions.

but being top 3 in 4 categories make it sound like you accidentally punted by drafting a lot of 4/5s and neglected drafting guards, at least that's what i'm assuming. punting has its disadvantages but being top 3 in those categories makes it seem like you made some good choices in your roster. i personally wouldn't trade nunn as he is posting great percentages across the board and nick nurse himself said lowry will take a few weeks to heal realistically; he's only being reevaluated in two weeks. maybe trade one of your lesser bigs for a guard? post your roster

i'm currently in a 12-man h2h points league :yuck and i'm 1-3. however, i have both ayton and collins who are both suspended until mid to late dec and can realistically win every matchup i have until ayton's suspension is lifted on dec 17. if everything holds, i should have smooth sailing to the championship once those two are back in my lineup.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 02:55:53 AM by TEEEPO »

naff

« Reply #21973 on: November 18, 2019, 03:12:05 AM »
12 man. espn. got dwight on the waiver wire for kris dunn the other day. traded into gobert (for beal. seemed better for me to cement my position punting ast and stl. maybe a bad trade idk).

projection stats/power rankings are bit f'd for me rn because kawhi is barely playing and 2 decent guards are out. seen a bit of talk about kawhi having a degenerative knee issue that's getting worse with age and he's possibly going to be load managed all season.. hope not.

russell is gonna be great with curry out if he can stay healthy. was looking at possibly trading for ben simmons, but lowry is much better in 3ptm and FT%

◕‿◕

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #21974 on: November 18, 2019, 03:45:48 AM »
bro, you fucking traded away beal :snoop

beal historically has slow starts as he is over eager to show off his new skills at the start of every season ever since he signed his max. i mean, the kid went from being a catch and shoot sharpshooter who could barely dribble to having one of the best handles in the leagues on top of becoming a playmaker. we used to scream at our tvs whenever he'd run a half-court offense as a point but now he's averaging nearly 7 assists. if his last three games are any indication, he has just made another jump and has become an even more efficient player. you prob just traded away a potential mvp candidate for fucking GOBERT

the wizards have also only played 11 games thus far so beal and the rest of the wizard's squad were a bit behind in contributing.

i have a historically bad headache atm and can barely function but i'll attempt to help.

so yea, i can see why you need help and you might need to give up some of that rebounding. i'm assuming there's no weekly limit for games played so if that's the case, i'd try trading kawhi asap, even for a lesser player or two. consider dropping marc gasol who has been straight garbage thus far and patrick beverly has never been a player whose game shows up on the stat sheets, he's rostered at 15% for a good reason. maybe a trade package for those two? there's always a good percentage of idiots in 12-man leagues. dedmon and young to a lesser extent are both garbage as well, drop both and use those two slots to rotate players depending on the matchup and your league's weekly acquisition limit (which btw, abused the hell out of if you can. i always have 1 slot used to maximize on this). there are always players you can grab from the waiver that can help with most categories, especially rebounding which is the only thing that those two offer.

naff

« Reply #21975 on: November 18, 2019, 04:04:53 AM »
yeah, I fear I'm the idiot here.

def felt bad about the gobert trade. I thought about it a good long while. ugh.

live and learn. I'm amending a legal statement and have a bit of work to do still tonight, but I'll get back to thsi tomorrow.
◕‿◕

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #21976 on: November 18, 2019, 04:16:59 AM »
the big issue is kawhii's load management

and the second issue is the pairing between the two. you're punting way too hard. gobert is better paired with a player like harden or even beal than say kawhii

still, this can be salvaged. gobert is still playing as expected, it's just kawhii was a high-risk pick and he's on pace for playing 60 some games. at least you have dlo, who is going to become a steal once he's back in the lineup.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:24:32 AM by TEEEPO »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21977 on: November 21, 2019, 03:07:09 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21978 on: November 21, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »
Luka :lawd
©@©™

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #21979 on: November 21, 2019, 12:43:44 PM »
Luka :lawd
His 22/5/5 first quarter.  :gladbron

Ten Games in November (33.9 MPG): 31.9 PPG, 11.4 RPG, 10.5 APG, .64 TS%.

benjipwns

« Reply #21980 on: November 21, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
Dawn Staley couldn't stop herself from actually playing defense even knowing the script

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21981 on: November 22, 2019, 02:10:21 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21982 on: November 23, 2019, 10:51:53 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #21983 on: November 23, 2019, 11:06:49 PM »
The zero assists is somehow appropriate.

benjipwns

« Reply #21984 on: November 23, 2019, 11:07:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1198420108806361089

NBA should screw this talk about a mid-season tournament and playoff play-in to instead add the Rock n' Jock baskets and higher point spots to the second and third quarters.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21985 on: November 24, 2019, 02:30:53 AM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28145944/sources-nba-considering-reseeding-conference-finalists-postseason-play-in?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

I hate all of this.

edit: maybe not all of it but definitely the play in game part of it. How fun to watch a 10th seed make the playoffs.  :yuck
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:36:26 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #21986 on: November 24, 2019, 02:43:28 AM »
lol the play-in proposal is worse than I thought:
The play-in proposal is this: two four-team tournaments featuring the seventh, eighth, ninth and 10th seeds in each conference. The seventh seed would host the eighth seed, with the winner of that single game earning the seventh spot, league sources said.

The ninth seed would host the 10th seed, with the winner of that game facing the loser of the 7-vs.-8 matchup for the final playoff spot.
So you could finish 7th by a significant amount and still watch two teams potentially well below you make the playoffs because you lost two games.

benjipwns

« Reply #21987 on: November 24, 2019, 02:50:03 AM »
Last year this would have resulted in this in the West:

7. Spurs (48-34) vs. 8. Clippers (48-34)
9. Kings (39-43) vs. 10. Lakers (37-45)

The East would have had the Nets escape the play-in tournament by a tie-breaker unless they awarded the bye to the Magic for winning their garbage division:
6. Nets (42-40)
7. Magic (42-40) vs. 8. Pistons (41-41)
9. Hornets (39-43) vs. 10. Heat (39-43)

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21988 on: November 24, 2019, 02:51:19 AM »
It's such a fundamental mis-read of college basketball and march madness and the nba and how fans relate to each.

Just like how player drafts were going to fix the all-star game was an attempt to fix a mortal wound by giving the patient some aspirin.

edit: They fucked up the coach challenge just as I said they would also. As a coach you basically just have to leave it to until the end in case the refs fuck up on a very late play. You should be able to challenge and get your challenge back if you are right. Or have a challenge for each half. But nope. They went with the worst possible case. So dumb.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 02:57:57 AM by Stoney Mason »

benjipwns

« Reply #21989 on: November 24, 2019, 03:01:42 AM »
If they want to do some kind of mid-season tournament they should just do like a three-on-three tournament on the All-Star Weekend nights. There's dudes who would want to do that rather than play the two meaningless games. And even getting mid-tier dudes/rookies/etc. from teams would make that fun.

I read that the players kinda liked doing shooting stars, which is why so many vets were willing to do it, but thought the league was doing it all wrong. Like how it's botched HORSE how many times.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21990 on: November 24, 2019, 03:08:55 AM »
https://mag.bleacherreport.com/jordan-magic-greatest-game-never-played/

1 on 1 or a 3 on 3 little tournament could work. You still have the issue of trying to incentivize players to give a shit about such a thing but that is a much stronger starting point at least instead of some 30 team tournament that nobody would ever give a fuck about.

benjipwns

« Reply #21991 on: November 24, 2019, 03:17:33 AM »
In 1972, the NBA actually had a one-on-one championship that took place over like multiple months (they were during half-time of actual games and stuff) and culminated I think during a playoff game.

The finals had Bob Lanier basically just take Jo Jo White into the paint over and over.

They bring him the cash in a duffel bag :lol

They also did a HORSE Tournament at the end of the 70s (must be '78, don't see the three point line):

benjipwns

« Reply #21992 on: November 24, 2019, 03:20:28 AM »
lol these remind me of the HORSE contest a few years back they did where Rondo was trying to do trick shots while Durant just took long jumpers and tried to win by attrition and Rondo made like a bunch of threes in a row to nearly derail it, Maravich is out here just throwing up crazy stuff while they're poppin jumpers

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21993 on: November 24, 2019, 06:50:31 PM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21994 on: November 25, 2019, 12:51:18 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #21995 on: November 25, 2019, 01:10:54 AM »
I legit love Semi-Pro. IIRC, they found out after doing the movie that a bunch of the stupid ABA gimmicks were close to the real stuff teams tried. They hadn't read Loose Balls or anything.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21996 on: November 25, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21997 on: November 25, 2019, 11:36:01 PM »

bluemax

« Reply #21998 on: November 25, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1194826273702531072

:lol

After this game Westbrook's brother tried to pick a fight with Montrezl Harrell. Also Westbrook bricked the game winner.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21999 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:56 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22000 on: November 26, 2019, 12:21:45 PM »
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28165154/the-future-load-management-potential-new-nba-schedule
The league outlined new guidelines for injury reporting in a Nov. 11 memo to teams, a copy of which was obtained by ESPN.

The short version: Load management is now rest. Period. If you see that term, it will mean a healthy player is taking the night off. If skipping that particular game violates the league's resting policy, that player's team will be penalized.
The league has robust investigatory authority to make sure teams obey the rules. A team cannot simply list a player as out with a sore whatever without evidence and sit that player in a national TV game that would normally trigger the league's resting policy, Spruell said.

For any injury, the NBA requires that teams submit documentary proof into a league-supervised portal, according to Spruell and team medical personnel who spoke to ESPN. Those documents can and should include official reports from examinations by trainers and team doctors, medical imaging and other documents, should the league request them.

"They get everything," one team medical staffer told ESPN.

If that is not enough, the league might require team doctors hop on the phone with John DiFiori, the NBA's director of sports medicine, Spruell said. If a team wants to rest a healthy player in any game that would normally fall under the resting policy, they must call the league office at least 48 hours in advance, the memo states. In practice, they are calling much sooner, according to Spruell and team personnel. Some teams have called a week in advance to test the waters on resting a healthy player, only to end up playing him anyway, league officials said.

And related to an earlier discussion:
The league also has allowed for some wiggle room on what constitutes a "high-profile" national TV game, sources said. A game on NBA TV might not be the same as a game on ESPN or TNT. A Golden State Warriors-New Orleans Pelicans game without Zion Williamson and most of Golden State's foundational stars might no longer qualify as "high profile" -- providing teams more flexibility in resting healthy players.

On a semi-related note, the NBA and its broadcast partners -- ESPN included -- have recently discussed the possibility and feasibility of more aggressively "flexing" out scheduled national TV games that do not look as appealing in light of injuries and team performance, sources said. Some mega-teams -- the Lakers, for example -- will never be flexed regardless of injury. On some national TV nights, there are few alternatives on the schedule.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22001 on: November 26, 2019, 02:29:45 PM »

naff

« Reply #22002 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:39 PM »
winslow back with the heat today. would've been nice to see him and butler playing but butler's sick (too many gummies?). heat getting wrecked.
◕‿◕

benjipwns

« Reply #22003 on: November 27, 2019, 11:49:06 PM »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22004 on: November 28, 2019, 12:23:58 AM »
AD WHY  :'(

benjipwns

« Reply #22005 on: November 28, 2019, 12:26:51 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22006 on: November 28, 2019, 12:37:07 AM »
That was a close ass game.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22007 on: November 28, 2019, 01:36:32 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22008 on: November 28, 2019, 10:13:49 AM »
So I rarely bitch about refs. I'm not the type of person who is into phantom conspiracy ref calls. I also think the speed of the game and lack of refs with the angles they have pretty much makes many calls impossible to get correct and are simply guess work. That's not their fault. That's just the nature of the game.

All that being said, the replay system is a joke if the refs aren't going to overturn their obvious mistakes. That kcp call was ridiculous last night. And I've seen it multiple times in games this year when refs refuse to overturn an obvious mistake they made on a foul call.

What ever happened to that secaucus review center that use to handle this stuff?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:24:05 AM by Stoney Mason »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22009 on: November 28, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »

naff

« Reply #22010 on: November 30, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/1200937552464580610

Stopped watching after the first quarter as Sac were getting so crushed. go back to see what's happening after I see it's gone to OT. final 7 seconds Denver have to make a 3 to tie it up, Murray takes the inbound, walks up the court and hits the paint without even trying for a shot. end game. :lol

good weed in colorado huh?
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22011 on: November 30, 2019, 10:30:34 PM »

naff

« Reply #22012 on: December 01, 2019, 06:15:50 PM »
he also tried to say it was due to his teammates not getting open and making screens

idk man

https://twitter.com/DimeUPROXX/status/1200938204876214272
◕‿◕

bluemax

« Reply #22013 on: December 04, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »
NO

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22014 on: December 04, 2019, 02:30:18 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22015 on: December 04, 2019, 01:28:03 PM »
Almost a quarter of the season through so far so you can start to make some concrete observations about things. Just some random thoughts.

The Lakers are enjoyable to watch obviously. This is much better than the last few seasons in Cleveland. The team is an actual team. I don't think they are as quite as good as their record would indicate but they are good. Especially on defense. The offense still lags behind that somewhat especially when the iso stuff isn't working.

The Clippers still strike me as the team to beat especially when the playoffs roll around and the rotations get shortened.

Not sure what is wrong with Mike Conley. Just a new situation perhaps but his numbers are way off. 14 pts  4.6 ast. 12.49 per. I thought he would be great for them but it hasn't been working out so far.

I also conclude now that the rockets would have been better with Chris Paul. Westbrook is shooting 23% from three point range. That's his worst percentage since his 2nd year in the league.

The east seems surprisingly good. The top 5 are all pretty good and indy is the 6th and they haven't had oladipo yet.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22016 on: December 04, 2019, 03:22:00 PM »
I find it weird that ratings are down this year. It been the most enjoyable/interesting early NBA season in recent memory.

I wonder if youtube is finally cutting into television ratings. Because I find myself watching truncated NBA games (on youtube) way more than the actual live broadcasts. Same goes with NFL.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22017 on: December 04, 2019, 04:25:25 PM »
there is a strong correlation with superteams and ratings so it's not at all surprising. as much as die-hards love the idea of parity, the general or median audience don't. you can't compartmentalize your product as easily if there are dozens of teams in contention.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22018 on: December 04, 2019, 04:43:51 PM »
and admittingly, i've watched far fewer games this year due to a lack of an over-arching narrative. the only promising one thus far is the rivalry brewing between the clippers and houston, specifically between beverly and westbrook/harden. the embiid and towns scuffle isn't going to amount to much seeing as they meet like twice a year

benjipwns

« Reply #22019 on: December 04, 2019, 08:48:25 PM »