Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1507972 times)

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
Re: The NBA thread
« Reply #22080 on: January 31, 2020, 01:43:17 AM »
well this is the most fun i've had watching the wiz since the 2016-17 run largely because outside of IT, we don't have a single rental on the roster so it's hard to agree that it's much of the same shit when the entire ethos of the team has been changed from top to bottom :idont

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #22081 on: February 04, 2020, 02:33:49 PM »
The Timberwolves are orchestrating multiteam trade discussions with Houston and Atlanta in hopes of ultimately turning discussions into a four-way deal that brings Golden State guard D'Angelo Russell to Minnesota, league sources told ESPN.

The Timberwolves, Rockets and Hawks have the assets to fulfill some of each team's goals: forward Robert Covington to Houston, center Clint Capela to the Hawks and potentially two first-round picks and an expiring contract to Minnesota, league sources said.

benjipwns

« Reply #22082 on: February 04, 2020, 02:33:56 PM »
The New York Knicks parted ways with president Steve Mills, the team announced Tuesday.

General manager Scott Perry will oversee the basketball operations in the interim, the team said.

The Knicks' front-office shake-up on Tuesday comes two days before Thursday's NBA trade deadline.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22083 on: February 04, 2020, 08:45:46 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22085 on: February 05, 2020, 12:45:28 AM »
that's like 2/3rds of the leagues trade assets that have been talked about the last month in one deal :lol

bluemax

« Reply #22086 on: February 05, 2020, 01:04:50 AM »
that's like 2/3rds of the leagues trade assets that have been talked about the last month in one deal :lol

Yeah other than like whatever flotsam the Clippers have, Andre Iguadola and Marcus Morris Sr... it feels like there's not much left suddenly.
NO

Himu

« Reply #22087 on: February 05, 2020, 01:34:59 AM »
how is the shot at 8:34 possible

IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #22088 on: February 05, 2020, 09:30:23 PM »
The Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to a deal to send Andre Iguodala to the Miami Heat, a league source told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

Iguodala agreed to the trade, and he has also agreed to a two-year, $30 million extension with Miami, sources said.

Justise Winslow is also part of the package headed to Memphis in the trade, sources told Wojnarowski.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1225222774618148864

benjipwns

« Reply #22089 on: February 05, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
mo trades
The Sacrameto Kings will trade Dewayne Dedmon back to the Atlanta Hawks for Jabari Parker and Alex Len, sources tell ESPN's Zach Lowe and Adrian Wojnarowski. Atlanta will receive a second round pick in 2020 and 2021 in the deal.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22090 on: February 05, 2020, 11:38:11 PM »
heat actually looking 2nd best in the east.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:52:38 PM by Stoney Mason »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22092 on: February 06, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
Drummond to Cleveland  :lol

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22093 on: February 06, 2020, 02:56:33 PM »
Between Love, Drummond and TT the Cavs are making a run at the team rebound record.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22094 on: February 06, 2020, 02:58:14 PM »

Stoney Mason

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22096 on: February 06, 2020, 03:50:25 PM »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22097 on: February 06, 2020, 05:53:05 PM »
i never have to see isaiah thomas and thomas bryant share the floor together ever again, bless  up :rejoice

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22098 on: February 06, 2020, 09:45:48 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22099 on: February 06, 2020, 10:38:26 PM »
Rockets playing 6-6 pj tucker at center tonight

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22100 on: February 07, 2020, 12:55:02 AM »
And the Lakers lose to the little man squad.

So the Lakers have not been especially good against decent teams (they feast on the crap teams) and Kuzma and Rondo have become almost unplayable. The Lakers are not as good as their record.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #22101 on: February 07, 2020, 05:33:15 AM »
All star weekend, "We do not want East vs West, we're doing a draft instead"

LeBron James and Giannis Antetokounmpo

"We're gonna make it east vs west"

:jawalrus

Rman

« Reply #22102 on: February 07, 2020, 01:14:32 PM »

So the Lakers have not been especially good against decent teams (they feast on the crap teams) and Kuzma and Rondo have become almost unplayable. The Lakers are not as good as their record.

What about the Clippers?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22103 on: February 07, 2020, 02:10:54 PM »

What about the Clippers?

No team is perfect but I trust the Clippers a lot more than the Lakers. When PG and Kawhi play they win. Against the good teams. And come playoffs they will be playing every game. They are also a more versatile team than the Lakers with more different ways to play.

The Lakers need a secondary creator which they don't currently have. It's all Lebron all the time which makes the offense too predictable in the clutch especially compared to the clippers where George, Kawhi, or Lou Will can all handle the ball and set something quality up for themselves or for the rest of the team. They try to put in Rondo to lighten the load or be the creator when Lebron is on the bench, but its almost always a disaster on both ends when Rondo is out there running the show. There is a lot of talk about Collison coming back and I'm not sure how much of a solution that is but I know it can't be any worse than what Rondo is able to give.

If I was betting my life on a series, I'm betting on the clippers over the lakers unless the Lakers can somehow change some things. And the two games between the two teams so far this season has been exactly what I expect. Both teams have treated those games like playoffs games and when it mattered the clippers in both dominated and took control of the game when they wanted.

The biggest issue is simply Kuzma. I can't emphasize how awful he has been all season on both ends of the floor. I thought it was the ankle injury early on but I don't think that can be the excuse anymore. It's so weird. He was so much better in prior seasons. It's baffling. He could put the ball on the floor and make plays. This season he looks utterly lost out there. If Kuzma doesn't bring his level up to at least where it was last season, there is no way they can beat the clippers.

Himu

« Reply #22104 on: February 07, 2020, 02:23:12 PM »
The little man squad. :fbm

I really liked the Rockets and Lakers game.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #22105 on: February 07, 2020, 06:30:09 PM »
I can't believe they sold Andre for not even a first round pick. A second round pick. In 2023.

That said, Love is a much better fit next to him than Griffin offensively. Especially since the team never went back to Andre in the high post while Griffin was out. It seems to make no sense but Andre's so fast it works. And since Love likes to hang out at the three point line without the ball it won't cramp as much as Griffin who had to have the ball for him to work. Smart deal for the Cavaliers, especially since they can now trade Tristan without any worries as I can't see a situation arising where Andre doesn't opt in for his $29 million.

I do love Atlanta and Cleveland, with a bit of help from Memphis, acquiring what feels like half the leagues viable centers to tank with though.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22106 on: February 07, 2020, 06:44:42 PM »
i think i get it now morey, what's the point of even having rim protection if they're going to call everything in the post anyways?

the rockets really impressed me last night. there is always an easy drive to the basket for harden and especially westbrook with how much they spaced the floor when playing small and either its an easy basket or they kick it out for an open three. the defense was especially impressive out in the perimeter in transition largely thanks to covington but what impressed me the most was how easy deflections and steals came, especially late in the 4th when they doubled davis or whoever tried to exploit the mismatch that will always be there in the post. this system really brought out the best in harden and westbrook's defensive abilities

and looking at the roster, they still have some 2nd year center and a nearly 7 foot pf they acquired from a trade. this is pivotal because i don't think they manage this load without these two so i'm assuming that while they'll mostly use the small ball lineup for every game moving forward, they will employ those two nobodies more often than not to help manage the load. and fuck it, sign larry sander while you're at it? i dunno, if they can stay healthy up until the playoffs, they have a real shot.

i still want either houston or the bucks to win it  :trumps

Himu

« Reply #22107 on: February 08, 2020, 04:43:53 PM »
For someone that hasn't paid much attention to NBA in the past decade, what should I know about today's game to help me enjoy it more?
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22108 on: February 08, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »
just watch the game?

Himu

« Reply #22109 on: February 08, 2020, 04:52:58 PM »
True. Sorry for the dumb question.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #22110 on: February 08, 2020, 10:21:09 PM »
For someone that hasn't paid much attention to NBA in the past decade, what should I know about today's game to help me enjoy it more?
The league has introduced so much ball movement and inherent spacing that one team is challenging the conventional wisdom by basing their offense around isolating their best player on the perimeter and letting him take stepback threes fifteen times a game.

Posting up is now one of the least efficient ways to start a possession.

Positions literally mean nothing, two of the best teams in the East roll out a point center who defends forwards most of the time.

benjipwns

« Reply #22111 on: February 08, 2020, 10:26:48 PM »
Your local team uses 2K online exploits as its primary strategy.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22112 on: February 08, 2020, 11:55:52 PM »

Himu

« Reply #22113 on: February 09, 2020, 12:26:26 AM »
The league has introduced so much ball movement and inherent spacing that one team is challenging the conventional wisdom by basing their offense around isolating their best player on the perimeter and letting him take stepback threes fifteen times a game.

Posting up is now one of the least efficient ways to start a possession.

Positions literally mean nothing, two of the best teams in the East roll out a point center who defends forwards most of the time.

I'm aware of all of this. I've semi-followed the NBA. It was my main sport growing up so it's hard to impossible to completely tune it out. So I'm aware of the GSW and their rise, the rise of the three pointer as an offensive tactic, the loss of the big man and the center, the fluidity of the positions.

That doesn't translate to enjoying it more though. Don't get me wrong, as basketball is basketball. So I still like it and enjoy watching games.

But it's still a big transition for me especially considering my favorite position has always been the center. Hakeem is my favorite player and I always mimicked his post moves growing up. I get really frustrated seeing no one under the basket to catch a rebound until the final second when a shot is made just in case. At the same time, fluidity makes for fun ball to watch too. It's not worse - or even better -  it's just different basketball than what I'm used to and it exacerbates many issues I already had with modern NBA basketball, as someone that grew up watching 90's era Rockets and Spurs.

I think if I keep watching like I have been I'll get used to it. 

As for the Rockets, I'm starting to research the new players. I'm familiar with Harden and little else. I have found myself really enjoying Westbrook's play and how the team acts on the court with him on it compared to Harden. They tend to play more defensively is my observation? Could be wrong. Other than that, I know jack about the current roster. I know we've had every player under the sun on our team this past decade though: Lin, D Howard, Melo. But I don't know anything about their stories and that's usually a big hook.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #22114 on: February 09, 2020, 12:31:49 AM »
Anyways, I watched Kobe's Dear Basketball after his death and it really struck an emotional cord with me. I loved basketball growing up. It was the sport I grew up with (besides some baseball) and watching the short film made me miss it. So, because there's no other sports on besides some Champions League, I decided to give NBA a watch after about a decade and a half away as a serious fan. I've watched games now and then, mostly Finals games, as I worked at the airport and they were hard to ignore.

With MLB season starting officially in April it seemed like a good time to pick NBA back up.

Despite some criticisms I like what I've seen of today's game.
IYKYK

benjipwns

« Reply #22115 on: February 09, 2020, 01:14:24 AM »
You're entering relatively fresh with a semi-fresh Rockets team themselves. Harden and P.J. Tucker are the only rotation guys left from the team that won 65 games and came up one game short of the Finals two seasons ago. They just made another huge trade. They're still figuring out Westbrook. So on and so on.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22116 on: February 09, 2020, 09:23:26 PM »
smallball rocket's weren't supposed to matchup with the either lakers or jazz

and bog just hit that 3 as i typed that  :lol :lol :lol

bluemax

« Reply #22117 on: February 09, 2020, 10:54:31 PM »
Laker's gonna talk to Dion Waiters now that Collison is staying retired.
NO

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22118 on: February 10, 2020, 01:33:00 AM »
Waiters is a fool but at this point, you've got nothing to lose if you feel you are that close to a title. Although he doesn't fix the issue of needing a secondary creator.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22119 on: February 10, 2020, 03:26:38 PM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22120 on: February 12, 2020, 03:53:32 AM »
I was pretty high on Zion but he's doing better than I thought especially after missing so much time. Pelicans young core looks great early enough to where I both do and don't wish they had traded Jrue for more 23 and under parts.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22121 on: February 12, 2020, 11:52:36 AM »
watching the game last night they looked good even without Ingram. I don't want them to overplay Zion but that's more paranoia than anything.

kinda with you on trading Jrue, although without him Dame is not held to so few and they don't get back in. I would think having good games against good teams go a long way in advancing younger players' games versus struggling from in a hole but what do I know. Pels seem to have pretty good chemistry/culture in place at least.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #22122 on: February 12, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1227623395757563904

High chance this is intentionally bad but I'm still mad

benjipwns

« Reply #22123 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
Tirstan Thompson hit back to back threes on his way to 3/3, and Andre was loving it, glad he's happy, *sniff*

Andre also had 15 rebounds in only 22 minutes

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22124 on: February 12, 2020, 11:37:11 PM »

Himu

« Reply #22125 on: February 13, 2020, 12:33:49 AM »
Lakers vs Nuggets is a ridiculously fun, competitive match up.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22126 on: February 13, 2020, 12:52:40 AM »
Lakers Nuggets basically played a playoff game.

Himu

« Reply #22127 on: February 13, 2020, 01:20:35 AM »
So much hustle in that game :hyper
IYKYK

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #22128 on: February 13, 2020, 09:17:57 AM »
Doncic is back!

bluemax

« Reply #22129 on: February 13, 2020, 10:15:46 PM »
Paul George cannot seem to stay healthy.
NO

benjipwns

« Reply #22130 on: February 14, 2020, 01:10:47 AM »

benjipwns

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:04:52 AM by benjipwns »

benjipwns

« Reply #22132 on: February 15, 2020, 12:03:25 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #22133 on: February 16, 2020, 01:45:25 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22134 on: February 16, 2020, 02:13:27 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22135 on: February 16, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22136 on: February 16, 2020, 06:09:57 PM »
the shit he said about the glove was even funnier

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #22137 on: February 16, 2020, 07:25:41 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #22138 on: February 16, 2020, 11:14:30 PM »
Best 4th quarter of an all star game since I was a kid. And that's going back a long ass time. Not sure exactly why, but everybody gave a fuck in that final quarter.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:19:29 PM by Stoney Mason »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #22139 on: February 16, 2020, 11:16:17 PM »
for kobe  :tocry