Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1492503 times)

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: NBA Off-season Thread
« Reply #480 on: July 13, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »
LeBron James made it the Finals as a 22-year-old when the second best player on his team was Ilgauskas and the third best was Drew fucking Gooden. Yet he can't take a team with Wade, Bosh, and Miller to the Finals this season? Please tell me why not? Don't say "chemistry" or I'll punch you through your computer monitor.

Chemistry

spoiler (click to show/hide)
jk
Explain to me how they're better than the Lakers. The Miller thing is not a done deal. We don't know how LeBron and Wade will mesh, especially as the stakes get higher.

In terms of the eastern conference, how do they stop Dwight Howard? Chicago has the depth to give them fits.
[close]

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #481 on: July 13, 2010, 10:17:52 AM »
LeBron James made it the Finals as a 22-year-old when the second best player on his team was Ilgauskas and the third best was Drew fucking Gooden. Yet he can't take a team with Wade, Bosh, and Miller to the Finals this season? Please tell me why not? Don't say "chemistry" or I'll punch you through your computer monitor.

Chemistry

jk
Explain to me how they're better than the Lakers. The Miller thing is not a done deal. We don't know how LeBron and Wade will mesh, especially as the stakes get higher.

In terms of the eastern conference, how do they stop Dwight Howard? Chicago has the depth to give them fits.
[close]
[close]
Miller is more or less a done deal.

The Lakers (first of all, Wrath said the Heat won't get past the Eastern conference Finals, and you agreed)? Kobe and Gasol are pretty much canceled out by Wade and Gasol. Who on the Lakers is close to LeBron? Odom and Artest? They're both nice complementary pieces, but they don't equal James. Andrew Bynum is a wildcard if he continues to develop and actually manages to stay healthy, which he has shown an inability to do. No one on the Lakers can shoot like Miller.

They won't stop Dwight Howard, but the Magic won't stop LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. The amount of damage Howard can do is limited compared to the amount of damage they can do together. His great weak-side defense can't stop three superstars.

Look, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh have all produced very efficiently despite constant double and triple-teams. NBA teams just can't double each one anymore, and if they do, Miller, who shot 48% from three last season, will fucking kill them.

Beezy

« Reply #482 on: July 13, 2010, 10:27:12 AM »
I like him, but Dwight Howard is overrated...

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #483 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:26 AM »
Heat have Haslem and Miller and DEREK FISHER and anyone else that wants a ring. Shaq? C'mon down!
PSP

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2010, 10:29:43 AM »
Fisher turned them down.

Kobe Love.  :hump

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2010, 10:33:43 AM »
He was worthless anyway, now the Heat will have their revenge on him! :punch
PSP

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #486 on: July 13, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »
Giant royal penis? It's official, folks, Dan LeBetard lurks at The Bore. :hyper
[youtube=560,345]xZr2qOXQJ4w[/youtube]

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #487 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »
Dan LeBetard  :-X

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2010, 10:43:09 AM »
Playing the Magic isn't about stopping Howard; it's about playing him without double-teaming. Once you double-team, the rest of the squad kills you from the perimeter. The Celtics' ability to single-team him effectively shut down the whole team, since almost nobody else can get quality shots on their own. If you have Bosh and Haslem (say) doubling Howard, the rest of the team is going to shoot a crazy high percentage.

On the other hand, if you single team him with a weak defender, he'll get every rebound, block every shot and shoot over 60%. Elite centers are just harder to deal with than elite 2 guards and wing players.

Having said that, I still wouldn't pick the Magic over the Heat at this early stage. But I don't how much money I'd put on the outcome either.

Fisher was smart to turn the Heat down; he'll be part of the Laker organization for life, unless he gets a head coaching gig elsewhere. That's way more valuable than a few years of extra dollars.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2010, 10:48:13 AM »
Playing the Magic isn't about stopping Howard; it's about playing him without double-teaming. Once you double-team, the rest of the squad kills you from the perimeter. The Celtics' ability to single-team him effectively shut down the whole team, since almost nobody else can get quality shots on their own. If you have Bosh and Haslem (say) doubling Howard, the rest of the team is going to shoot a crazy high percentage.

On the other hand, if you single team him with a weak defender, he'll get every rebound, block every shot and shoot over 60%. Elite centers are just harder to deal with than elite 2 guards and wing players.

Having said that, I still wouldn't pick the Magic over the Heat at this early stage. But I don't how much money I'd put on the outcome either.

Fisher was smart to turn the Heat down; he'll be part of the Laker organization for life, unless he gets a head coaching gig elsewhere. That's way more valuable than a few years of extra dollars.

Quote from: Derek Fisher
I listened to every coach, every general manager, even potential teammates in order to make the right decision and I thank every one of them. At the end of the day, there's one person I could not turn away from. Kobe Bryant asked me to stay but supported whatever decision I made. He and I have played together for 11 seasons, came into the league together as kids, and has been loyal to me even when others had doubts.

:hump

He can't quit Kobe!

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #490 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
Derek, you have chosen... poorly.

PSP

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #491 on: July 13, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #492 on: July 13, 2010, 01:29:13 PM »
The Celtics are old and busted.  They got through two very poorly coached teams and one Dwayne Wade and Fools team.  The Lakers were going to win that series no matter how poorly Kobe played (ie: he played poorly).

Kobe the best player in the league  :lol

Here's how I see it.

The Heat have a good record, but not the best in the league (I'd say the Magic come up with that title).  Once they reach the playoffs though, who could possibly stand in their way?  The Hawks probably won't even make the playoffs again, the Cavs are for sure out of it, the Bulls are still a young team that needs developed.  All that stands in their way are the Celtics and the Magic, and

a) the Celtics big three are finely assfucked by the Heat's big three
b) the Magic will have to rely pretty much solely on Howard, who can't give his team 40 point games.

The Heat are by FAR the favorites to win the East next year.  Their real test will be whoever the West throws up to them, I'd say probably the Mavs or the Lakers.
püp

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2010, 01:31:19 PM »
Kobe is probably the best player in the league

This is where I stop reading

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
Best player in the league is in Oklahoma. :patel
dog

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2010, 01:35:47 PM »
Cormacaroni, there isn't one single way to defend Howard. Without the right personnel, teams have to give him a variety of looks, including delayed-double teams. Anyway, the Magic's success in the postseason is less about Howard's ability to beat double teams and more about the Magic's ability to defend and hold teams under 90 points.

The Heat will be burned if they double Howard; the Magic will be burned far worse when they try to double one of Bosh, Wade, or LeBron.
Best player in the league is in Oklahoma. :patel
What's Dirk doing in Oklahoma today?  :dur

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #496 on: July 13, 2010, 02:36:07 PM »

Chemistry

jk

[close]
[close]
Miller is more or less a done deal.

The Lakers (first of all, Wrath said the Heat won't get past the Eastern conference Finals, and you agreed)? Kobe and Gasol are pretty much canceled out by Wade and Gasol. Who on the Lakers is close to LeBron? Odom and Artest? They're both nice complementary pieces, but they don't equal James. Andrew Bynum is a wildcard if he continues to develop and actually manages to stay healthy, which he has shown an inability to do. No one on the Lakers can shoot like Miller.

They won't stop Dwight Howard, but the Magic won't stop LeBron, Wade, and Bosh. The amount of damage Howard can do is limited compared to the amount of damage they can do together. His great weak-side defense can't stop three superstars.

Look, LeBron, Wade, and Bosh have all produced very efficiently despite constant double and triple-teams. NBA teams just can't double each one anymore, and if they do, Miller, who shot 48% from three last season, will fucking kill them.

We'll see. Lakers are considerably deeper as of right now. If (and it's a big if) Bynum is healthy throughout the playoffs and makes some leaps in his skill set, the Heat would be fucked.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2010, 04:12:13 PM »
Ilgauskus goes to the Heat as well  :lol :lol :lol
püp

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »
Fucking joke
AMC

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2010, 04:16:20 PM »
This is like when everyone knew it would be Nadal vs Federer in Grand Slam finals.
AMC

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #500 on: July 13, 2010, 04:21:22 PM »
Cleveland may as well just kill themselves now
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #501 on: July 13, 2010, 04:38:01 PM »
Fucking Ilgauskas!

What an ingrate!!

or something like that Imagine that insane owner saying.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #502 on: July 13, 2010, 07:41:13 PM »
Mike Miller, Haslem, Big Z, etc. :lol

I AM AFRAID THIS NBA TEAM WILL BE QUITE OPERATIONAL WHEN YOUR FRIENDS ARRIVE
PSP

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #503 on: July 13, 2010, 07:50:11 PM »
This just in, after Kobe Bryant and Raja Bell's meeting, they both decide to sign with the Heat.
©@©™

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #504 on: July 13, 2010, 07:54:32 PM »
We know what NBA players want.  :smug

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #505 on: July 13, 2010, 08:02:05 PM »
We know what NBA players want.  :smug

Apparently cheeseburgers!   :-X

snip

http://www.nba.com/heat/photogallery/hpg0910_dancers_maria_1.html
[close]
[close]
Dirk Nowitzki's ex-fiancee already taught us that:

Smooth Groove

« Reply #506 on: July 13, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »
:rofl

The difference is that Dirk was actually going to marry that.  What a dummy.

Flannel Boy

• Icon
« Reply #507 on: July 13, 2010, 08:05:46 PM »

He is a dummy--he re-signed with Dallas.

The Heat could have used another bench player.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #508 on: July 13, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
I don't think Brand New is watching the same NBA I am, wow.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2010, 08:25:27 PM »
Is Kobe's No. 1 jock sniffer trying to imply that the Heat are filthy communists?  ::)

Riley's reign has shades of Red

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=adande_ja&page=Riley-100713

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #510 on: July 13, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
Ti  take the thread back a couple of pages, Jordan played with top-50-all-timer Scottie Pippen, greatest rebounder of his time Dennis Rodman, and the European Jordan, the Sensation of the Croatian Nation, the Solid Rock of the Eastern Block, Toni Kukoc. And he was coached by 13 time NBA champion (2 as a player) Big Chief Triangle.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #511 on: July 13, 2010, 10:21:32 PM »
Ti  take the thread back a couple of pages, Jordan played with top-50-all-timer Scottie Pippen, greatest rebounder of his time Dennis Rodman, and the European Jordan, the Sensation of the Croatian Nation, the Solid Rock of the Eastern Block, Toni Kukoc. And he was coached by 13 time NBA champion (2 as a player) Big Chief Triangle.

Is anyone in the galaxy unaware of this?
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #512 on: July 13, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »

You just weren't watching hard enough.  :patel
püp

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #513 on: July 13, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
Is anyone in the galaxy unaware of this?

It was actually to join the "Magic had Kareem and other all-stars" and "Bird had the Chief and McHale" defense of Lebron joining Wade. Carry on.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #514 on: July 13, 2010, 11:42:48 PM »

You just weren't watching hard enough.  :patel

If you don't understand how good the Celtics were this year, you don't know shit about basketball, sorry. They lost in game 7, on the road, with their starting center on the bench, and were winning for most of the game until the Lakers' big man keyed a rally. They got sent half of freakin' Team USA home for early baths on the way by playing some of the finest team defense that we've ever seen. They are undeniably old but they were undeniably the 2nd best team in the world. Unless you think losing Tony Allen is going to cripple them, you'd be a fool to think they won't be a major threat next season as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 11:49:05 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #515 on: July 13, 2010, 11:48:38 PM »
Where did I say they wouldn't be a major threat  ???

I just think they don't match up with this new Heat team.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #516 on: July 13, 2010, 11:53:41 PM »
'The Celtics are old and busted.  They got through two very poorly coached teams and one Dwayne Wade and Fools team.  '

Come on, they got through a 66 Cavs team who had the MVP and the Magic, coached by a former coach of the year.

You could write something similar about the Lakers' route to the Finals if you wanted to, it wouldn't change the fact that they got there.

And how don't they match up with the Heat? The Celtics have demonstrated their ability to guard all of those guys. Obviously it'll be a lot tougher guarding all of them at once but there's still only only ball on the court at any given time.
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #517 on: July 14, 2010, 12:17:21 AM »
I just can't imagine how the Celtics big three can match up with the Heat's big three now.  They lack the youth, they lack the health, and they lack the overall talent stacked up to the other three.

And I'm sorry, Mike Brown could be given a thousand CotY awards, he's still terrible.  LeBron and his picks for assistant coaches were the real winners of the award.  Brown was and always has been a terrible adjustment coach, who's gameplan usually just came down to "feed it to lebron lol."  When LeBron couldn't get help from his team or was playing poorly himself, Brown's weakness showed pretty clearly.
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #518 on: July 14, 2010, 12:25:53 AM »
They don't have to match up with the Big 3. If it was all about matching up with other superstars, the Celtics would never have gotten to the Finals, duh. And Rasheed's Pistons would never have beaten the Lakers with Shaq, Kobe, Karl Malone and Gary Payton. The playoffs are won with defense. It's a cliche because it's true! The Heat **should** be able to play great defense but there is no guarantee.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #519 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:10 AM »
You need inside presence to have that great defense, which I don't see the Heat having yet.

BUT SPEAKING OF PRESENCE INSIDE

DMC turning out to be more than just brute strength.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #520 on: July 14, 2010, 12:41:26 AM »
Playing great defense in the NBA has more to do with getting the refs' respect than anything else.  My team should have no problem with that next year. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2010, 01:23:52 AM »
Man, the bitterness between long-term Heat fan Smooth Groove and long-term Laker fan Wrath2X is gonna be something to see next year when their teams meet up in the Finals. Yessirree, those guys are gonna be tough to be around!
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »
Heat could be a damn good defensive team.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5377209

Kinda odd seeing LeBron as a wingman during an interview. Wade is clearly the grown up  :lol

edit:
[youtube=560,345]ZAiDu1QwXKk[/youtube]
:fbm
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 02:55:07 AM by Phoenix Dark »

etiolate

« Reply #523 on: July 15, 2010, 01:51:10 AM »
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2010/07/14/kahn_intv.nba/index.html

This was awkward/hilarious live. CWebb had been taking jabs at the Wolves before Kahn came on. He let David talk, then began the choice quotes.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #524 on: July 15, 2010, 02:01:21 AM »
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2010/07/14/kahn_intv.nba/index.html

This was awkward/hilarious live. CWebb had been taking jabs at the Wolves before Kahn came on. He let David talk, then began the choice quotes.

Chris Webber just needs to understand that it's not about wins and losses, it's about how upgraded your weight room and player lounge is. And no matter how he plays on the court, I bet Darko eats breakfast like a champ before every practice.
©@©™

etiolate

« Reply #525 on: July 15, 2010, 02:37:53 AM »
He just hasn't seen the way Darko passes the syrup during breakfast.

OptimoPeach

« Reply #526 on: July 24, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »
I just saw that the Lakers signed Matt Barnes. What a traitor. My cousin actually played with him in high school
hi5

Stoney Mason

« Reply #527 on: August 04, 2010, 01:24:12 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5436289
 :lol

Boy boston is really going for an over the hill approach hard.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #528 on: August 04, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5436289
 :lol

Boy boston is really going for an over the hill approach hard.

All easily reversed in 2 yrs though; KG, Ray, and Shaq will all be off the books and they can rebuild around Rondo. I don't think there are any young guys out there that could help them as much as Shaq for that money anyway.

As I maintained, they may be individually past their best other than Rondo, but the whole still adds up to something that took the Lakers within a hair of a championship just 2 months ago. I still think they're at least a top 4 team.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #529 on: August 04, 2010, 08:59:16 PM »
Might as well charge Miami with elderly abuse in the first degree...right now. They're going to run all over Boston  :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #530 on: August 14, 2010, 02:10:13 AM »
HOF speeches
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5463135&categoryid=2459788

Malone is one of my favorite players of all time, great seeing him get in. Real classy guy, and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #531 on: August 14, 2010, 03:32:29 AM »
Malone is one of my favorite players of all time, great seeing him get in. Real classy guy, and I'm glad I had the chance to meet him.

Malone knocked up a 13 year old when he was 20, before going on to an illustrious career of hunting little Mexican girls.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #532 on: August 14, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »
I'm not here to speculate on the moral lapses of a man who won golden medals in service to his country

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #533 on: August 19, 2010, 12:24:10 AM »
How do you know when your team's management is incompetent?

When you can't sign rookies whose salaries are pre-determined by a formula.  Good jon Memphis.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #534 on: August 19, 2010, 12:37:15 AM »
I thought the answer was "when you draft Hasheem Thabeet with the second overall pick in the NBA draft"

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #535 on: August 19, 2010, 01:30:30 AM »
How do you know when your team's management is incompetent?

When you can't sign rookies whose salaries are pre-determined by a formula.  Good jon Memphis.

Well, it says right there in the article that 20% of it is negotiable (somewhat of a simplification but still). They're haggling over the part that isn't guaranteed. 20% is about as much as anyone can usually expect to negotiate of their salary so it doesn't seem that shocking to me that occasionally there would be negotiation breakdowns. And of course, we may not be privy to the real issues (i.e. he doesn't want to play there, or they were planning to trade him but it fell through and now they're stuck with his contract...etc)
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #536 on: September 12, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
Durant had a pretty kick ass FIBA tournament.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #537 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
PHILADELPHIA -- Unwanted by the NBA, Allen Iverson is considering playing in China.

Gary Moore, Iverson's personal manager, says Iverson has not been contacted by any NBA team with training camps set to open in less than two weeks. Moore says there is "legitimate interest" between Iverson and a team in China to work out a deal. Moore did not know the team's name.

Moore says a Chinese team first approached the 35-year-old Iverson last month.

Iverson is 17th on the NBA's career scoring list with 24,368 points over a 14-year career with Philadelphia, Denver, Detroit and Memphis. He won the MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the finals. Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, did not immediately return messages for comment on Monday.

:rofl

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #538 on: September 13, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
Good. What a piece of shit. He probably could have played in the NBA for another 1-2 years if he had simply turned into a bench player.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #539 on: September 13, 2010, 01:52:19 PM »
Good. What a piece of shit. He probably could have played in the NBA for another 1-2 years if he had simply turned into a bench player.

Some players age gracefully and accept the decline of their skills. It's always been pretty obvious that Iverson wasn't going to be one of those guys.

Then again I think he also could be doing it for the money. He legit will probably make a lot more playing over-seas somewhere coasting on his name than he would in the NBA at this stage.