Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1508862 times)

DJ_Tet

Re: NBA 2K11 Thread
« Reply #600 on: October 31, 2010, 01:58:43 AM »
It is sad.  Especially knowing now exactly how good Al Horford and Joakim Noah are, it makes Oden's performance in the NC game that year even more amazing.  I know they didn't win but Oden had 25, 12 and 4 blocks.

My Bobcats are off to a disappointing 0-3 start, but DJ Augustin has kept playing strong ball from the pre-season, so that's encouraging. 
TIT

Himu

« Reply #601 on: October 31, 2010, 02:07:22 PM »
Rockets lost again. Oh well. Here's to next game. They're not doing too well at the start but they're showing promise.
IYKYK

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #602 on: October 31, 2010, 02:25:21 PM »
The Heat are handling the nets so they'll be 3-1 after today. Time for sportswriters to jump on the bandwagon.

:D

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #603 on: October 31, 2010, 09:58:55 PM »
Kinda wish the Heat would just win all their games and sweep the playoffs at this point. The announcers at their games are completely unbearable, outside of Stan Van Gundy of course. I don't want to hear another word about The Decision, last summer, race, Jordan/Barkley, etc.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #604 on: November 01, 2010, 06:54:05 AM »
:bow THUGGETS :bow

spoiler (click to show/hide)
this is probably the most in-depth post I will ever put in this thread :miyamoto
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #605 on: November 02, 2010, 11:09:52 PM »
Lebron
7-12 FG
12 AST   
20 PTS

Wade
12-17   FG
26 PTS

MIA:129
MIN:97

:bow2

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #606 on: November 06, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »
[youtube=560,345]NvgD9HNTMkM[/youtube]

Ouch

Beezy

« Reply #607 on: November 06, 2010, 11:01:57 PM »
Cleveland is butthurt, but that Nike commercial was really annoying. Lebron and his people should've just let shit die down. I can't wait to hear the boos whenever the Heats play at Cleveland.

Beezy

« Reply #608 on: November 09, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »
How about them Heats? :lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #609 on: November 09, 2010, 10:41:33 PM »
How about them Heats? :lol

Sounded like a good game. Wish I could have seen it.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #610 on: November 09, 2010, 11:15:25 PM »
This is insane. Indiana beat Denver tonight, 144-113. They scored 54 points in the 3rd quarter. They made their first 20 field goals in the quarter, with their only miss being a 3 point shot coming with 1.9 seconds left! If dude would have just held the ball, they would have been perfect for the quarter.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #611 on: November 11, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »
Celtics really have the Heat's number. Very early in the year obviously but not a good sign.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #612 on: November 11, 2010, 10:13:37 PM »
should have joined the bulls nicca

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #613 on: November 11, 2010, 11:33:03 PM »
Way back on page 2 before this whole thing came together, I wasn't sold that putting the three of them together made them guaranteed favorites. Those three need to learn how to play together and you still need other players to carry some of the load. Now they've already dropped 4 games, 2 to the Celtics.

They might eventually be the best team in the east, but not right now.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #614 on: November 12, 2010, 09:48:59 AM »
Way to go out on a limb there, Bocsius ;)

Let's not forget that the Celtics are an extraordinary assemblage of talent themselves. Losing to them doesn't exactly disprove the theory that superstar squads can win.

Rondo has been by far my favorite player to watch this year. He's so insanely DISRUPTIVE. No ball is safe around him. He makes plays that no-one else on the floor even thinks to try. Chris Paul is a step ahead of him in many respects but Rondo is a unique, mesmerizing talent. John Wall is quickly rising the ranks in terms of WTF plays as well. It's like some Golden Age of point guards right now. Blows my mind that the Lakers have gotten away with Derek Fisher for the past couple of years.
vjj

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #615 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:13 PM »
Fuck the haters.  >:(

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #616 on: November 12, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
Rondo looks like a stereotypical black nerd, I loathe him.

Yeah, those horn-rimmed glasses! That scarf! Bet he smokes cock too!
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #617 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »
Way to go out on a limb there, Bocsius ;)

Well, sure, I wasn't alone. Many of us felt the Bulls were a better fit. But there were so many that annointed them as the best team around. ESPN as a whole is ridiculous in their coverage.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #618 on: November 13, 2010, 12:51:50 AM »
Kevin Love scored 30 tonight and pulled down 30 rebounds. First time that has happened since 1982 when Moses Malone did it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301112016

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #619 on: November 13, 2010, 01:51:58 AM »
12 offensive rebounds damn. Dude came to work

Also, an example of me being so far behind on NBA news: Darko players for Minn? Why does Joe Dumars still have a job.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #620 on: November 13, 2010, 02:39:21 AM »
Knicks are fucking terrible,
itm

Stoney Mason

« Reply #621 on: November 17, 2010, 03:26:07 PM »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #622 on: November 17, 2010, 03:32:53 PM »
Most interesting news of the season so far

Stoney Mason

« Reply #623 on: November 17, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »
[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #624 on: November 17, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #625 on: November 17, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »
Heat kicking the crap out of the Suns. Like a Bosh with 22 points in the first half.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #626 on: November 17, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
Shocking really. The Suns are such defensive stalwarts.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #627 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:53 AM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #628 on: November 18, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »
As the article mentions, he's the modern day Bowie.

Sad.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #629 on: November 18, 2010, 12:11:55 AM »
yeah, poor guy. You can see the life being sucked out of him. Even Darko will probably see more NBA money than Oden does over his career now, not to mention way more minutes. Durant just adds salt to the wound.

Still, this is hardly a shock, the way the Blazers have been hunting for another big man despite already having Camby and Pryzbilla.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #630 on: November 18, 2010, 12:13:17 AM »
Really sucks. He came in as a good defensive player/rebounder, but needed time to develop awareness and offensive moves. He's had no time to do it, and might not ever get that time. I wonder if the Pistons will take a chance on him; seems like the type of player Joe Dumars would pull the trigger on (and be wrong in the end).

As a Lions fan, the whole thing reminds me of what we're going through with Matt Stafford. #1 draft pick, multiple injuries, hasn't had time to develop etc; only difference is the massive amount of guarenteed money we owe this guy.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #631 on: November 18, 2010, 12:44:44 AM »
I have to say, the Celtics look pretty effin' good to me. I haven't really watched the Magic, but the only team that could likely beat the Celtics in a series right now is the Lakers. They are deeper than they've ever been, and Perkins is still on the bench. Shaq, Marquis Daniels and Delonte West all look to be productive. Most importantly, Rondo is reaching new heights, KG is back to his 2008 self, and no-one else has dropped off appreciably. Still fun as hell to watch, too. They play both ends of the floor both hard and well, and rarely take a possession off. Plus, they have wildly entertaining wildcards in Big Baby and Nate Robinson. I've watched more Cs games than any other team so far this year by far.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #632 on: November 18, 2010, 01:09:31 AM »
You know, Rondo can't shoot the 3, but he doesn't have to when he can just throw lobs all night long. It really hurt the Cs offense when KG lost his hops the last couple of years, but now it's a huge part of their playbook. It's next to unstoppable.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #633 on: November 25, 2010, 07:48:40 AM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #634 on: November 25, 2010, 10:01:55 AM »
Heat are really struggling.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=301124019

I'm sure they'll have things sorted out by the second half of the season, but watching them flounder right now is absolutely DELICIOUS.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #635 on: November 25, 2010, 11:34:41 AM »
The Heat are actually getting worse, but they remain a good team, capable of stopping or scoring on anyone most of the time. They really are very thin, so the few injuries they've had are hurting them bad right now. The chemistry isn't there, but it doesn't really need to be for this team to be uber-successful (i.e. just the sum of the parts is still pretty fucking insane with this group). Basically, they alternate between being 2010 Cavs and 2010 Heat, depending on who is bringing up the ball. Bosh is invisible, and looks horribly scared at all times. He may well be just a giant gaping pussy - hard to tell 'cause he's never been to the playoffs, but it's looking that way right now. It's not like they have a lot to lose now in the regular season - they probably aren't going to get HCA throughout the playoffs no matter what. And the worst they'll finish now is probably 3rd in the East. They can afford to fuck around and work out the kinks a bit more before the games get serious.

OTOH, the Celtics and the Lakers are very well-balanced teams that look stronger all round than the Heat. If I had to guess, they'd be my picks for the Finals right now, with the Lakers winning again. Magic are very good but completely one-dimensional. Either the Celtics or Lakers could take away their whole offense pretty easily. My MVP so far is Chris Paul but they're not getting out of the West.
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #636 on: November 25, 2010, 11:46:56 AM »
I'm really surprised by how good the Spurs are looking right now. 13-1? 10 more points on average than they're opponents? It's insane. Did they even add any players over last year's team?
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #637 on: November 25, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
Duncan, Manu and Parker are in godly shape, that's 90% of it. They have new guys (Tiago Splitter notably) but the Spurs are always a slow team to get used to. Most players don't start to figure out the system until their 2nd year. Jefferson is much improved as a result.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #638 on: November 25, 2010, 11:09:17 PM »
So when does Riley take over?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #639 on: November 26, 2010, 12:41:35 AM »
So hilarious when they cut to Riley in the stands, literally making notes in a pocketbook and muttering to his wife.
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #640 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:26 AM »
Did any of those guys get early opt-out clauses in their contracts? How soon is too soon to blow this up?

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #641 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:25 AM »
Bosh could go in a mid-season trade, even.
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #642 on: November 26, 2010, 02:08:24 AM »
That would be hilarious

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #643 on: November 26, 2010, 02:13:25 AM »
KG would be most disappointed at being unable to make him his bitch in the playoffs, but he'd get over it.
vjj

ManaByte

• I must hurry back to my comic book store, where I dispense the insults rather than absorb them.
« Reply #644 on: November 26, 2010, 02:15:01 PM »
CBG

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #645 on: November 29, 2010, 12:56:14 PM »
Tracy McGrady told the New York Daily News that LeBron James would have been better off going to the Chicago Bulls, and the reason why the Miami Heat are struggling is because James and Dwyane Wade both command the ball.

"[Chicago] was a better decision, a better place for him," McGrady told the Daily News. "You can't just go somewhere and have that type of chemistry he had in Cleveland."

The Bulls courted James and Chris Bosh before they decided to join Wade in Miami.

McGrady worked out for the Bulls before signing a free-agent contract with the Detroit Pistons. McGrady said one of the reasons the Heat are off to a disappointing 9-8 start is the chemistry of James and Wade on the court.

"When they're on the court together, they're terrible," McGrady told the paper. "Him and D-Wade don't complement each other. They're somewhat the same type of players, 'Bron and D-Wade. ... Both of those guys need the ball, and they don't shoot the ball like Ray Allen. That's why they're having trouble scoring in the halfcourt, because they can't get a rhythm, because one of them is dominating the ball. That guy might be getting off, but the other guy [isn't].

"That's why when they're on the court together, they're terrible. They're rhythm players that need the ball. I'm like that. I can't stand out there and catch and shoot. I've never been a guy that sits out there waiting for the ball to come to me."
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/news/story?id=5862624

Agreed 100%, and why I always thought Chicago was the best move. He'd have a good young PG, a all star quality big man (when healthy), nice bench, nice scrap players etc.

Also there's a report the players don't like Spoelstra. Can't wait until Riley takes over so LeBron can see what a tough coach really is.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #646 on: November 29, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »
There is some truth to the idea that they both dominate the ball and so the other guy is left doing nothing. But I think a better coach could devise an offense where in actual plays and ball movement are created. Watching them right now its pretty clear that isn't the case. Still early of course but the offense in general still looks like shit. Compare that to something like the Lakers where you can see an actual offense in place. An offense isn't just letting Wade or Lebron hold the ball for 20 seconds and then either shoot or pass it at the last second. The ball movement is terrible in their offense currently.

I always thought the best case scenario for the Heat was sort of a Magic and James Worthy situation. But they are very far from that right now obviously.

ch1nchilla

« Reply #647 on: November 29, 2010, 09:21:13 PM »
JR Smith is the future.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #648 on: November 29, 2010, 10:03:46 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #649 on: November 29, 2010, 10:06:23 PM »
There is some truth to the idea that they both dominate the ball and so the other guy is left doing nothing. But I think a better coach could devise an offense where in actual plays and ball movement are created. Watching them right now its pretty clear that isn't the case. Still early of course but the offense in general still looks like shit. Compare that to something like the Lakers where you can see an actual offense in place. An offense isn't just letting Wade or Lebron hold the ball for 20 seconds and then either shoot or pass it at the last second. The ball movement is terrible in their offense currently.

I always thought the best case scenario for the Heat was sort of a Magic and James Worthy situation. But they are very far from that right now obviously.

It's like only one of the Big 3 can be involved in a given offensive set. Incredible. How hard would it be to run a pick and roll with LeBron and Bosh? Should be fucking money in the bank!
vjj

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #650 on: December 02, 2010, 12:03:46 AM »
The Lakers dropped their 4th in a row, this time to Houston (Shane Battier, Blue Devil).

They're lucky Miami is playing so bad  (although they won big tonight) and is going to Cleveland tomorrow, nobody will even notice the champions' present struggles.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #651 on: December 02, 2010, 12:14:33 AM »
Yeah they've looked really bad recently. Jackson has been bitching about bynum. Saying Gasol and Odom are playing too many minutes because he is taking so long to come back from his injury.

Bocsius

• is calmer than you are
« Reply #652 on: December 02, 2010, 12:18:18 AM »
Bynum is injured? That never happens.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #653 on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:56 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010120104

Dwight Howard, goddam!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Check out Joakim Noah's line.
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #654 on: December 02, 2010, 07:54:06 PM »
I hope Cleveland riots tonight when they lose.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #655 on: December 02, 2010, 10:00:58 PM »
87-50.

Ha Ha.

Fuck you Cleveland.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #656 on: December 02, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
lol

Stoney Mason

« Reply #657 on: December 02, 2010, 10:39:18 PM »
Lebron with a season high 38.

Fuck you again Cleveland.

And fuck the media for all your boo-hoo sob stories about Cleveland.

:bow2

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #658 on: December 02, 2010, 10:45:51 PM »
The crowd chanting 'Pip-pen' is some dumb shit. 1) Pip is Top 50 all-time. 2) That's way over-rating Wade, relative to Jordan.

Maybe this will kick-start the Heat a bit - I'm sure it has been weighing on their minds. They still don't look great, although that's by far the best I've seen LeBron play this season. They even had a few plays involving BOTH LeBron and Wade! golfclap for Spoelstra there.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:48:36 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #659 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
Maaaan, look at Miami smashing all those sub-.500 teams!

:bow LeBron :bow2

Best team ever. Makes Michael Jordan and the 90's Bulls look like chumps.
dog