Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1508584 times)

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
Re: NBA 2K11 Thread
« Reply #660 on: December 02, 2010, 11:00:26 PM »
Maaaan, look at Miami smashing all those sub-.500 teams!

:bow LeBron :bow2

Best team ever. Makes Michael Jordan and the 90's Bulls look like chumps.

That's actually a more reliable indicator of a championship winner than beating good teams by smaller margins. But yes, Miami are a huge disappointment any way you slice it.
vjj

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #661 on: December 02, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
Maaaan, look at Miami smashing all those sub-.500 teams!

:bow LeBron :bow2

Best team ever. Makes Michael Jordan and the 90's Bulls look like chumps.

The Cavs will stink for the next decade and keep pining away with their mad faces. I'll enjoy every minute of it. Big Players leave small teams. It happens. Even Orlando fans wasn't as bad as these bunch of bitches when Shaq left.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #662 on: December 02, 2010, 11:38:35 PM »
LeBron's line about 'continuing the greatness in Miami' was just...oh dear
vjj

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #663 on: December 02, 2010, 11:45:37 PM »
How was the booing/laughing? Didn't see the game

Stoney Mason

« Reply #664 on: December 02, 2010, 11:49:07 PM »
How was the booing/laughing? Didn't see the game
It started off intense but then they started to get blown out fairly early so the crowd was mostly silent after that. It didn't help that Lebron went 15 of 25 from the field.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #665 on: December 03, 2010, 12:15:03 AM »
LeBron really needs to just embrace being the heel. If you're going to be hated, you may as well be LOATHED. Talk smack, and beat the crap out of every team that gives you lip about it. It's working for the Celtics.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #666 on: December 03, 2010, 12:19:32 AM »
LeBron really needs to just embrace being the heel. If you're going to be hated, you may as well be LOATHED. Talk smack, and beat the crap out of every team that gives you lip about it. It's working for the Celtics.

I don't think that's Lebron's personality. He genuinely seems like an affable guy who wants to be liked. And he's still fairly young.

Perhaps he will develop more of a thick skin though now.

Certainly Kobe became that sort of player the longer he was in the league.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #667 on: December 03, 2010, 12:29:09 AM »
Kobe feeds off that hatred though, and has a killer instinct. LeBron isn't that guy; imo Wade is closer to that than him. Personality wise LeBron seems closer to Shaq. But less awesome

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #668 on: December 03, 2010, 01:12:43 AM »
ah, the killer instinct. Only applied to those with rings  ::)
vjj

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #669 on: December 03, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »
:smug

Normally this is where I'd start trolling Dirk, but since Malek isn't here there's no point

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #670 on: December 03, 2010, 02:49:00 AM »
ah, the killer instinct. Only applied to those with rings  ::)

You just don't get it, Cormac.  Kobe has a killer instinct.  He had it in the early 00's, then he lost it when they traded Shaq, then he found it again when they got Gasol.

Strange coincidences, those.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #671 on: December 03, 2010, 02:58:59 AM »
Yeah, the Kobe selfish/selfless/selfish rollercoaster has provided some of the great sports fiction of our times.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #672 on: December 04, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
The Kings are basketball abortion.

Beezy

« Reply #673 on: December 04, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
Heats vs Cavs was the most boring game I've watched this season so far. I wanna see how Heats vs Knicks turn out.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #674 on: December 07, 2010, 12:47:34 AM »
The Heat are 14-8. The Lakers are 14-6. Not that big a difference

Beezy

« Reply #675 on: December 07, 2010, 01:02:28 AM »
Knicks are 13-9. The Heats better watch their backs. :smug

Stoney Mason

« Reply #676 on: December 07, 2010, 01:05:52 AM »
Yeah the knicks have been playing better recently. Makes you wonder how good they could be with Carmelo.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #677 on: December 10, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Lots of streaks.

Boston has won 9 in a row.
NY has won 6 in a row.
Miami has won 6 in a row.
Dallas has won 11 in a row.

Beezy

« Reply #678 on: December 10, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
NY has won 6 in a row.

7 in a row now. 15-9

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #679 on: December 10, 2010, 11:41:36 PM »
^
look at this filthy bandwagon jumper  :yuck

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #680 on: December 10, 2010, 11:50:04 PM »
Knicks are doing surprisingly well for a team with a superstar that can't guard anybody. 

^
look at this filthy bandwagon jumper  :yuck

yeah, ban that filth, bandwagonning is disgusting

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #681 on: December 11, 2010, 12:08:34 AM »
OTOH he's replacing David Lee, so he's probably a defensive upgrade.  I saw a bit of a Warriors/Suns game earlier this year and good god in heaven was Lee turrible on that end.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #682 on: December 11, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »
Sports Guy is announcing the Heat/Warriors game. I miss Steven Van Gundy smh

Stoney Mason

« Reply #683 on: December 11, 2010, 12:13:23 AM »
I like the Sportsguy.

:patel

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #684 on: December 11, 2010, 12:14:16 AM »
It's like nearly everything he says is either a long, rambling comment or a bad tweet he decided to test out irl first

Stoney Mason

« Reply #685 on: December 11, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
Also I'm watching this game on my 360.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #686 on: December 11, 2010, 12:26:58 AM »
Miami Heat. 16-8 After this game tonight.

LA Lakers 16-7 after tonight.

Just saying...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #687 on: December 11, 2010, 12:27:16 AM »
Sports Guy trolling Mark Jackson hard  :lol

now Jackson is telling us he played against Bird

Stoney Mason

« Reply #688 on: December 11, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »
Even in a blowout win in a road game I still see things I don't like in the Heat offense that will trouble them when they play against good teams. Outside of the transition game, Lebron and Wade still don't look comfortable together out there. Even when one goes to the bench and the other can dominate, the offense turns into watch 4 guys watch 1 guy dominate on the floor. It's still not a real offense.

Oddly enough I think Bosh is actually the most important piece of this whole thing after originally thinking he was the least important. He has to be that effective second and third guy to take some of the pressure off. I'm not saying he has to score 20 a game. But he has to hit some big shots when this team will need it to take the pressure off.

Him and Mike Miller when he comes back will actually be really key.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:53:47 AM by Stoney Mason »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #689 on: December 11, 2010, 12:57:52 AM »
Bill Simmons has the worst voice for TV.  I can't watch PTI when he's subbing.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #690 on: December 11, 2010, 01:07:32 AM »
Just to be a dick lets check in and see how Mo Williams is doing on the cavs.

Shooting 40%. The lowest of his career since his rookie season.
Down to 29% from 3 point range. Also the lowest of his career since his rookie season and the last two years where he shot 44% and 43%
Scoring average down slightly to 14.6 which is his lowest since the 05-06 season.

Antawn Jamison is also struggling but I like him so I hope he lands himself in a better situation.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 01:11:05 AM by Stoney Mason »

Smooth Groove

« Reply #691 on: December 11, 2010, 01:38:55 AM »
Is anyone else annoyed by the new interpretation and enforcement of NBA rules? 

It just seems like all a player needs is speed and decent ball-handling skills to score a bunch of points because the refs are going to reward even drives that have less than 5% chances of being successful.  I mean, guys like Westbrook, Rose and Wall are fun to watch but they aren't as good as their numbers would indicate. 

In addition, ref bias is more obvious than ever because you see guys with defensive reps, like Artest, are still allowed to play old school D. 

Beezy

« Reply #692 on: December 11, 2010, 01:52:57 AM »
Bandwagon my ass! The last team I was ever actually a fan of were the Bulls when Jordan was playing. :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #693 on: December 11, 2010, 01:54:46 AM »
you just ethered yourself son

although I'll admit: since Shaq has always been my favorite player, whatever team he was on became my favorite team, especially the Lakers. But it no longer applies today, and I hated the Cavs and now Boston.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #694 on: December 11, 2010, 01:58:35 AM »
What's wrong with Boston?  They are one of the best "teamwork" teams in a long time, kinda like the last Pistons championship team except with much more offensive talent.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #695 on: December 11, 2010, 02:00:36 AM »
I hated that Piston team for pretty much the same reason: bunch of assholes on one team.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #696 on: December 11, 2010, 02:04:28 AM »
Shaq and Kobe are two of the biggest assholes ever.  LOL

Even as a lifelong LA resident, I could never get myself to cheer for the Lakers during their era.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #697 on: December 11, 2010, 02:09:53 AM »
leave my inconsistent personality demands alone, bastard  :'(

Beezy

« Reply #698 on: December 11, 2010, 02:19:53 AM »
you just ethered yourself son

although I'll admit: since Shaq has always been my favorite player, whatever team he was on became my favorite team, especially the Lakers. But it no longer applies today, and I hated the Cavs and now Boston.
How? I've never claimed to be a lifelong Knicks fan. I just seriously got back into basketball last year and the only thing I wanted was the Lakers demise. I didn't care who did it.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #699 on: December 11, 2010, 02:43:14 AM »
LeBron played like a savage tonight. He's baaaacckk, baby, and the rest of the league better be happy with their brief time in the MVP discussion.

Derrick Rose also had an incredible game, always great to see someone toasting Kobe in crunchtime. Chicago are a very solid team with Boozer.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #700 on: December 11, 2010, 02:46:05 AM »
Boozer only had 10 pts though.  I didn't watch the game tonight but Boozer has always had much difficulty scoring against taller opponents like Gasol. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #701 on: December 11, 2010, 03:13:19 AM »
It was one of the lowest-scoring games of the season, and he only took 9 shots (going 5 for 9). Believe me, he makes a difference - he opens up a ton of space for Rose. Before that, Rose was turning to folks like Taj Gibson when he couldn't get a shot for himself. Boozer is a huge upgrade.
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #702 on: December 12, 2010, 08:33:39 AM »
Still streaking.

Boston has won 10 in a row.
NY has won 8 in a row.
Miami has won 8 in a row.
Dallas has won 12 in a row.
Chicago has won 5 in a row
San Antonio has won 4 in a row.
Cleveland has lost 7 in a row.

All streaking!

Also this was what the Daily Dime had to say and I kinda agree especially the bolded. It's also why they will a tough time beating the Celtics.

Eastern Conference scout on the Heat's six-game winning streak since calling a post-game team meeting in Dallas and the early season criticism coach Erik Spoelstra has been forced to weather:

"I think best thing that could have happened is what happened. Pat [Riley] stayed quiet and Erik has been real vocal and forceful in saying, 'This is what we're going to do' and never backing down publicly. Now that they're having some success, I think that's helped his credibility on the outside, though I don't know if he ever really needed that.

"Pat really hasn't said anything since the season started. So to me it would have been more hurtful at the time [of the Dallas loss and reports of player dissatisfaction with Spoelstra] for him to come out of semi-hibernation and get back in the public eye. Spoelstra gained strength by doing all the talking.

"It's all been good for them. It looks like LeBron and D-Wade have quit trying to get everybody else involved and are just making it more of a two-man show. And Bosh is playing better. I think the other two guys have been playing better, so [Bosh's] shots have come a little easier and he's been a little more active trying to rebound the ball instead of just being a jump shooter."
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:45:23 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #703 on: December 12, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
Carmelo Anthony has told the Denver Nuggets he will not sign the nearly $65 million contract extension he has been offered unless he is traded to the New York Knicks, a source told ESPN.com on Sunday.

The source, using the most definitive language possible, confirmed what has been widely speculated around the NBA over the past two months as Anthony has been at the center of trade talks involving numerous teams.

And while other franchises might be able to make better offers, Anthony will not agree to sign anywhere long-term unless he is dealt to New York, according to the source, who has been privy to private discussions between Anthony, his representatives and the Nuggets organization.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5912307

Would be bad ass if he ends up in NY.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #704 on: December 12, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
The Knicks are looking pretty good without him, but I don't think they'll be able to make it far in the playoffs without another scorer. He is without doubt the best of the guys they have a shot at signing (unless the Hornets have a fire sale on Chris Paul, which is looking unlikely now that the NBA owns them, literally), and they should absolutely do what they can to grab him. Felton is playing really well but it's hard to believe it's for real just yet.

The big question though - Melo is a fantastic fit for the offense but how do they hide both him AND Amare on defense? I'd still sign him in a heartbeat, but they have the potential to be an absolute heart-breaker of a team, one that builds big leads then coughs them back up again and loses to any team that can get stops. (Like the Celtics, Heat and Magic...)
vjj

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #705 on: December 13, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
*jumps on Knicks bandwagon*
AMC

Stoney Mason

« Reply #706 on: December 13, 2010, 02:36:26 PM »
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been taunting his own point guard Baron Davis from his courtside seats during games, according to Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports.

"Why are you in the game?" Sterling was said to have shouted. "Why did you take that shot? You're out of shape!"

The Clippers currently have a record of 5-20, the worst in the league. The 31-year-old has only played in 11 games, averaging 7.4 points and 5.8 rebounds.

"I have no comment on that," Davis said of the owner's heckles. "It's a fight. You're fighting unnecessary battles. I'm fighting unnecessary battles."

Davis went on to say that it is frustrating because he and his teammates know that he is "capable of getting it done."

:rofl

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/13/donald-sterling-baron-davis_n_795922.html

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #707 on: December 13, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »
 :lol

Donald Sterling might be the greatest troll of all time. 30 years and still going strong

Stoney Mason

« Reply #708 on: December 13, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Yeah. I guess there is nothing much you can do and since the NBA has the Lakers in that market it doesn't really matter but I'm surprised they haven't tried to put more pressure on him to sell the team over the years. He's the worst owner in sports and the clips will always be a joke as along as he owns that team. So many great players flushed their careers down the toilet with that team.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:46:52 PM by Stoney Mason »

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #709 on: December 13, 2010, 02:47:56 PM »
"Those San Diego years are the stuff of NBA legend. Sterling welcomed himself to town by plastering his face on billboards across the city. And when the Clips won their 1981 home opener, he ran across the court, shirt unbuttoned and glass of wine held aloft, to high-five his players and hug coach Paul Silas. 'I love you!' he told them. But later that year he refused to pay a $1,000 prize to a local lawyer who won a free throw contest until the guy sued for fraud. Sterling even asked Silas to cut costs by taping players himself. Before the next season, he installed an ex-model named Patricia Simmons as assistant GM, putting her at Silas' desk while the coach was on an NBA promotional trip to China. Silas returned to find his belongings piled in the hallway."
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/6435/donald-sterling-one-creepy-story-after-another

Beezy

« Reply #710 on: December 13, 2010, 05:38:18 PM »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #711 on: December 13, 2010, 09:23:08 PM »
Yeah. I guess there is nothing much you can do and since the NBA has the Lakers in that market it doesn't really matter but I'm surprised they haven't tried to put more pressure on him to sell the team over the years. He's the worst owner in sports and the clips will always be a joke as along as he owns that team. So many great players flushed their careers down the toilet with that team.

The change in Blake Griffin's body language already is quite striking. From ebullient rookie to moody vet inside 30 games! :bow Sterling
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #712 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »
Watching the Heat pound on the Hornets. This line-up really isn't fair sometimes. The Hornets just got done getting beat on by LeBron, who creates a 13pt lead. Then he tags out for Wade, who is looking fresh as a daisy after an eternity on the bench watching LeBron go nuclear. Of course Wade just starts scoring at will, as well. He's playing against tired, deflated players and he's rested and amped up. It's weird and it's not perfect but it's a hell of a thing.

It's becoming a real trend for them to pull away in the 3rd, like the Lakers used to do with Shaq. By that time, they've got the other team in the penalty, they've got fouls on everybody they want fouls on, and the other team's stars are tired, while theirs are still fresh. It's gonna be really tough to guard these guys for 48 mins in the playoffs, and still retain some energy on the offensive end.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 11:31:19 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #713 on: December 14, 2010, 12:25:35 AM »
They can have some pretty nasty runs that can just destroy the other team. Especially when they get into the transition game. A

All three have been playing well recently but Wade especially has been on a tear. 

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:35:35 AM by Stoney Mason »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #714 on: December 14, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »
Yeah, and the transition game creates fouls like crazy. Just like Shaq back in the day, you can withstand the onslaught for a couple of quarters, but eventually people start to foul out, they get into the penalty and you get tired. The game gets easier and easier for them, and harder and harder for you. I think the Celtics are an amazing team (as I keep harping on and on about) but they better have the whole platoon ready and healthy to get through a series against the Heat.
vjj

Smooth Groove

« Reply #715 on: December 14, 2010, 01:06:50 AM »
Heat looks unstoppable when LBJ and Wade are both running.  It makes me wonder why they both prefer to play a half court game instead.

Wade was just insane tonight.  I don't know if anyone in the history could have stopped him when he's moving like that.  Even if you give him 5 feet, he would probably blow right by.  The problem is that his body can never keep up when he's playing at that pace.  Dude should probably slow down a bit and save himself for the playoffs. 

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #716 on: December 14, 2010, 01:13:44 AM »
Well, their big problem is lack of rebounds. They get a lot of steals but suffer on the boards, so they just won't get the same number of transition baskets as they could with a good boardman in the middle. I expect them to address that in the offseason (and maybe at the trade deadline with a veteran pickup). If it isn't #1 on Riles' to-do list, I'd be shocked. Dampier was worth a shot but he's clearly done.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #717 on: December 14, 2010, 10:28:37 PM »
Posting this just 'cause Harden's reaction at .37 kills me! This guy never seems to have much fun on court so it's nice to see.

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #718 on: December 14, 2010, 11:57:25 PM »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #719 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »
Couple of fun games tomorrow. Knicks versus Celtics.

And the Heat get to stomp on the Cavs again but at home this time.