Author Topic: Dark Souls  (Read 207572 times)

Akala

• Easy Victor
Re: [360/PS3] Dark Souls - October 4th (NA)
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2011, 09:43:15 PM »
This game will consume next weekend! :hyper

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:30 PM »
A certain individual is buying me this for my birthday~

But I won't play it cuz I'm busy with other stuff so w/e

But when I do~
fat

Herr Mafflard

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2011, 09:36:57 AM »
omg a 90 minute quick look :omg

It'll probably spoil many aspects of the game but whatever, I'm watching :hyper
Unzip

cool breeze

« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »
what's the word on best starting class? thief?

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #246 on: September 29, 2011, 11:26:11 PM »
what's the word on best starting class? thief?

Looks like it, since the Thief starts with a master ring, which allows you to open any door (single use though). Apparently it's the only item that can't be found in the game world, but who knows, I'm sure the game has tons of secrets that haven't been found yet.
BiSH

cool breeze

« Reply #247 on: September 29, 2011, 11:47:27 PM »
if it's single use, how is it that useful?

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #248 on: September 29, 2011, 11:54:48 PM »
I dunno, but at least the thief has something unique compared to everyone else. Enough reason for me to pick him.
BiSH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #249 on: September 30, 2011, 02:22:13 AM »
I don't think I would have the patience for this but it's cool that it exists.
Hi

« Reply #250 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:58 AM »
$49.99 at Fry's on Tuesday. AMAZON ORDER CANCELED.
野球

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #251 on: September 30, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
Some info on the 360 version: http://kotaku.com/5844514/hows-dark-souls-looking-on-xbox-360

He basically says it's nearly identical, but he hasn't played it as much as the PS3 version yet.

Also, no voice chat confirmed, if it hasn't been already.
Curious players have also wondered about how Dark Souls on Xbox 360 will handle Party Chat and Private Chat functionality. Well, the game does not support player-to-player voice chat over Xbox Live. At all. No real surprises there. However, if players engage a Party Chat session, Dark Souls will instantly kick you out of your current game and boot you to the main menu.

"Cannot continue game while you are in party chat. Returning to title screen..." reads on on-screen prompt if in a chat session. It's similar to the way Dark/Demon's Souls handles network connection interruptions for players who take those games online—you're booted to the main menu, with your progress, location and world state saved.

I don't get it is this intentional? If so, why?

If not, how did it clear MS approvals for publishing? I thought private chat and party chat were requirements...?

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #252 on: September 30, 2011, 12:00:48 PM »
I wonder if they built the game around the lack of voice chat (like the text on the ground) so they felt voice chatting would break a wall they didn't want broken. Sucks for 360 users.
:9

Robo

« Reply #253 on: September 30, 2011, 12:01:11 PM »
I assume it's intentional to keep people from cooperating outside the game's parameters.
obo

maxy

• Sales Loser
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
I thought that private chat is still in,no?
cat

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #255 on: October 01, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
IGN review, 9/10: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1197544p1.html

This is the first game I've read mainstream reviews for in ages, just to increase my hype. Only 3 more days :hyper

(he says it's 50-60 hours long, btw)
BiSH

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #256 on: October 01, 2011, 02:43:04 AM »
Oh snap. I've been on a semi media black out and a lot of the mechanics haven't been spoiled for me, but after reading that review I can already see many of my old cheese tactics won't work. I'm genuinely scurred!

Unzip

Beezy

« Reply #257 on: October 01, 2011, 02:46:06 AM »
Now I'm really sad that I won't be able to play this at launch. :(

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2011, 08:11:30 AM »
The way that magic works has changed since Demon's Souls, making it much more difficult to rely on it as an easy way out and forcing you to engage with the heart-in-mouth, up-close melee combat. Instead of a magic bar, you get a certain number of casts for each spell each time you rest at a bonfire – powerful Pyromancy or life-saving Miracles will usually be limited to just a few uses. Magic is as relevant to the game as ever, but it's no longer a cheap-and-easy, rechargeable long-range option.

I was wondering how they'd be able to stop people from abusing magic. Perfect solution. :bow

There are frog-like sewer-dwelling creatures that can Curse you with their attacks, instantly reducing your health bar to half its former size; the only way to get cured is to visit a healer hidden deep within a dangerous ghost-populated area that's a long, long journey away (or to buy an item from a vendor, if you've got enough souls).

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough, but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

:rofl
BiSH

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #259 on: October 01, 2011, 08:36:04 AM »
Magic abuser, right here. :-[

The wiki for this game is going to be epic in a few months, I know I'll go back to read up on everything I missed even after I complete it. :bow
Unzip

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #260 on: October 01, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »
I thought that private chat is still in,no?

If its like COD, you can still use 1v1
fat

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #261 on: October 01, 2011, 09:17:08 PM »
Is it still a good idea to play the first one?

I feel like I waited on Just Cause 2 because I still "needed" to play my new, still-wrapped copy of original Just Cause.

I'd like to play Demon Souls, because Howard Alan Treesong told me it was the best reason to own a PS3, but is that still true?

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #262 on: October 01, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
Probably. I haven't played Dark Souls, but it sounds like playing Demon's Souls would be a better entry point, Dark Souls is sounding a lot harder and more time consuming. You can blast through Demon's Souls pretty fast, and there's great tips and guides at demonssouls.wikidot.com
◕‿◕

cool breeze

« Reply #263 on: October 01, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
aren't they shutting down the Demon's Souls servers?

and is Dark Race really that much more time consuming and difficult? a lot of things I've read seem like the other way around with freeform classes, no item encumbrance, and no more half-health soul body after one death (one or more of these things might not be true).

the one thing I've read that sounds worse than Demon's Souls, actually downright bad and annoying, are these
spoiler (click to show/hide)
enemies curse you and reduce your lifebar 50% each hit.  It can stack so after two hits you're at 75% normal health.  The way to cure it is to trek to a medicine person or have the proper items.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #264 on: October 01, 2011, 11:32:24 PM »
So this is basically a NetHack/Rogue-esque game?

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2011, 01:54:56 AM »
A question for whoever is currently playing the Japanese version: what exactly respawns enemies, lighting a bonfire or resting at it? If it's only the latter I can see myself lighting a couple without resting (if possible) just to activate these checkpoints, but if merely lighting them respawns enemies then there's just no way around it, is there?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:39:33 AM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2011, 07:34:49 AM »
A question for whoever is currently playing the Japanese version: what exactly respawns enemies, lighting a bonfire or resting and upgrading at it? If itis only the latter I can see myself lighting a couple without resting (if possible) just to switch these checkpoints on, but if merely lighting them will respawn enemies then there's just no way around it.

From what I've read resting it what respawns them. You should be able to hit a bonfire, light it and move on without resting if you wish.

I'd like to play Demon Souls, because Howard Alan Treesong told me it was the best reason to own a PS3, but is that still true?

I loved it. People reasonbly talk about its toughness but I think the biggest draw of this series, for me, (and that game in particular) is the ambiance and art (specifically the enemy design). Their ability to craft something like this is definitely being pulled from King's Field.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 07:37:34 AM by BlueTsunami »
:9

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2011, 09:43:52 AM »
The difficulty hype always seemed kinda dumb to me. Demon Souls is just more meticulous than what hack-n-slash plebs are used to, the way the hyper-fans are clawing at their own faces about how the game will insta-kill you and rape your mother etc is pretty obnoxious. I was a bit worried that the developers would take this masochism to heart and make Dark Souls harder just for the sake of it, but looking at previews and some streams it seems that it's pretty inline with what Demon Souls offered.

I kinda wished they had left in the 'getting killed caps your health at 75%' or whatever. Thought that was a really cool mechanic. letting you use ephemeral stones to resurrect, granting you full health (effectively a health bonus) at the risk of lowering the world tendency and/or being invaded. I haven't got a grasp of what the humanity thing is yet, so maybe that is a different, but just as fun system for some risk/reward stuff.

I suppose making bigger changes is a positive thing since I can still play Demon Souls, but they've added a bunch of new attacks and replaced the awkward push with a kick that seem to give you a much stronger repertoire, so it might be difficult to go back to Demon Souls after. Sorta like how the level design is much stronger in the first Skate game, but because the move set is so limited once you've played 2 and 3 it's kinda shitty to play. ...or something.

Still excited for this. would like to see some retailers break the street date mid-week so I can get some gaming in before the weekend crowds my house with boring people not interested in joining my damp den of nerdiry.

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I liked the idea of world/character tendency, but I really hate how it's tied to the server when you're playing online in Demon's Souls. Either you play offline in order to have full control over it and thus causing you to miss out on pvp, co-op, messages, etc, or you can go online and hope your WT doesn't get screwed. It's pretty much lose/lose. Also, forcing you to suicide a bunch in order to do of the all WT/BT events in a single run is kinda dumb, but whatever.
BiSH

brob

• 8 diagram pole rider
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2011, 10:21:39 AM »
I agree they shouldn't have tied the tendencies to servers. maybe there could have been some sort of guild system, which I guess is sorta what they are doing with the covenant affinity in Dark Souls? but even then that's pretty broad in the sense that everyone will be in one of X number of covenants instead of there being small groups of friends banding together in a guild where one persons actions have a more pronounced effect and there sorta is accountability and it doesn't feel entirely random when something changes.

naff

« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2011, 12:14:49 AM »
October 6th here :fbm I'm ready with my 360 pre-order
◕‿◕

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2011, 01:10:45 AM »
Damn, I'm reading some of the game's basics and just discovered the 9 covenants :O

They sound mad awesome. But are their effects strictly limited to online?
Unzip

cool breeze

« Reply #272 on: October 03, 2011, 01:14:21 AM »
is that another confusing mechanic that opens a small gate to the bottom left of the first stage leading to a random tough battle with good rewards? because that tendency stuff was over my head.  other than worrying about starting class, I'm just going to play without reading toooo much.

but about classes, if I go thief I can eventually still do magic and all, right? glancing at the gaf thread it seems people are going pyro, sorcerer or cleric.

Shaka Khan

• Leather Jihadist
« Reply #273 on: October 03, 2011, 02:05:10 AM »
No, they're more like factions, but they seem to affect your online experience mostly.

Quote from: Wiki
Covenants are factions within Dark Souls that players may align themselves with. A covenant is joined by making an oath with a particular NPC, often the leader. Players are rewarded for following the rules of their joined covenant(s) and punished for breaking them. Which covenants a player chooses to join will have an effect on their online experience.

The Nine Covenants

Way of White

Princess' Guard

Blade of the Darkmoon

Warrior of Sunlight

Forest Hunter

Darkwraith

Path of the Dragon

Gravelord Servant

Chaos Servant

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covenants

The wiki obviously doesn't have all the information at the moment, but whatever they've gathered so far sound interesting.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:10:37 AM by Shah Rukh Khan »
Unzip

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #274 on: October 03, 2011, 02:39:40 AM »
Best improvement over Demon's Souls: you can create up to 10 characters per account. The first game had what, 4? Not nearly enough.
BiSH

naff

« Reply #275 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:11 AM »
but about classes, if I go thief I can eventually still do magic and all, right? glancing at the gaf thread it seems people are going pyro, sorcerer or cleric.

Yeah, just like in Demon's Souls; from the Wiki

A class is a specialized role chosen for your character upon starting the game. Each one has different starting equipment and abilities. These alternate ways of starting drastically change your beginning game experience. However, your final role is not decided by your starting class. All starting classes may raise stats and progress through the game in a way that allows them to use all equipment and abilities once requirements are met.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:27:50 AM by quietID »
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #276 on: October 03, 2011, 07:58:37 AM »

I loved it. People reasonbly talk about its toughness but I think the biggest draw of this series, for me, (and that game in particular) is the ambiance and art (specifically the enemy design). Their ability to craft something like this is definitely being pulled from King's Field.

OK, I'll grab it at some point soon then. I like having standby stuff for the PS3. 

naff

« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/covenants

The wiki obviously doesn't have all the information at the moment, but whatever they've gathered so far sound interesting.

Ffffuuuuu. So awesome. There's a covenant for hunting players who've broken their covenants rules :bow2

Also found some info on the weapon upgrades and how they scale/don't scale with your stats http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60507906... Think I'm going to try build a spellsword again like Demon's, I'm imagining it will be a much more useful build this time round to be able to deal consistent magic damage without expending my finite stock of spells. Thinking of trying Wanderer to begin with
◕‿◕

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
Trying to farm the pure bladestone in DS1 before I get this tomorrow. I actually need it for more than the Platinum too, since a a Sharp Uchigatana +5 is the best weapon for my dexterity build. I always have awful luck with drop rates though :-\

edit: Got it. :D I guess luck is on my side today.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:57:00 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »
man i dont want to play this game. but i do.
nat

« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:28 PM »
Who's ready for the awesome dry anal rapeage of hard gamez tomorrow?

:rock
野球

cool breeze

« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2011, 09:36:51 PM »
amazon has me as release date shipping and they still haven't shipped it

if this isn't here tomorrow at 8.35 pm eastern time when I get home I will freak out.  Magazine racks will be ordered, knocked over, and returned.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2011, 09:56:33 PM »
might be the first game i'll buy at full price in years

« Reply #283 on: October 03, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »
Taking an early lunch and heading to Fry's.

$49.99 :rock
野球

Raban

• The baby...
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2011, 01:21:07 AM »
SO CLOSE :rock
SRY

cool breeze

« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2011, 02:00:19 AM »

:spitzer

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:07:20 AM by iconoclast »
BiSH

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:37 AM »
mines shipping tomorrow :hyper

Robo

« Reply #288 on: October 04, 2011, 11:17:26 AM »
I am going to suck at this game so badly.
obo

« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
I am going to suck at this game so badly.

Same here. I died a ton in Demon's Souls.

Don't care, though. IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL.
野球

Don Flamenco

• FootDiFootDiFootDive
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2011, 12:30:58 PM »
Got to a bonfire some ways up the mountain as my first in-world save point.  This game is fucking scary!  But the scimitar feels like a really good weapon.  The fwd + RB move is very useful.   

« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »
Taking an early lunch and heading to Fry's.

$49.99 :rock

Fuck Fry's. They wouldn't honor the $49.99 price even though there is huge banner at the front of the store saying "Check out www.frys.com/ads for awesome sale prices!" Page 8 of that ad has Dark Souls for $49.99.

Went to Target and got the game with a $10 giftcard.
野球

Robo

« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2011, 02:52:18 PM »
What was the reasoning?
obo

« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2011, 02:55:53 PM »
They said they don't honor online prices from their website. It's not a website price, it's their weekly newspaper ad that is stored on their website.
野球

iconoclast

• レーダーマン
« Reply #294 on: October 04, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
I think K-Mart has a $20 gift card with this as well.
BiSH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
Amazon says my copy won't arrive until later in the week.  Might go to Best Buy and pick it up today instead, but that likely means no collector's edition.
ど助平

« Reply #296 on: October 04, 2011, 03:08:38 PM »
Don't you have a Frys in Atlanta? Maybe they'll honor the $49.99 price. :lol

The CE doesn't interest me. A digital download of a strategy guide that I'll never read. A digital download of a soundtrack I'll never listen to, and a tin case that will just take up too much space.
野球

Robo

« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
Kmart is doing their gaming coupon thing they do for pretty much all notable releases these days.  They don't carry the CE, however.  Heading there after work.
obo

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »
Why do people care about the CE? It's pathetic...
fat

« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »
Why do people care about the CE? It's pathetic...

A sense of entitlement? I have no idea either.
野球